PDA

View Full Version : Live action Transformers movie.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Adam
06-11-2003, 04:51 PM
http://www.comingsoon.net/news.php?id=238

"The Transformers" -- the ever-morphing Hasbro toy line introduced in the mid-1980s that has gone on to spawn comic books, multiple television series and an animated feature -- are being prepped to change shape again, this time into stars of the big screen. Angry Films topper Don Murphy (whose next film is "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen") and writer-producer Tom DeSanto ("X-Men" and "X2: X-Men United") have teamed to produce a feature-length, live-action movie based on the popular brand. The duo are expected to shop the project to studios shortly, and DeSanto said they have already received interest from a handful of directors hoping to get involved in the project. DeSanto is currently working on a story treatment for the project before he and Murphy hire a screenwriter to adapt it for the big screen.

And Hasbro's official press release.
PAWTUCKET, R.I.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 11, 2003--Hasbro, Inc. (NYSE:HAS) announced today that it entered into an agreement with the highly successful producers Tom DeSanto (X-Men and X2: X-Men United) and Don Murphy (currently producing 20th Century Fox's The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) for a full length, live action movie based on Hasbro's enormously popular TRANSFORMERS brand.
"TRANSFORMERS enjoys an amazing fan base worldwide, and we believe that we can create an incredibly fast-paced, exciting movie that will be appealing to anyone who loves action films," said Don Murphy.
"TRANSFORMERS is one of those rare properties that has been embraced by a generation around the world. Like X-Men, TRANSFORMERS offers an amazing mythology with all the elements to create a successful ongoing franchise, iconic characters, global themes, and a world that has never been seen before on screen," said Tom DeSanto.
"The property has been successful in every arena it has played in throughout the world - toys, comic books, television - and we now believe it's time to take TRANSFORMERS to the next level, and into a live action event movie," continued DeSanto.
"We're thrilled to have entered into an agreement with the very talented and accomplished Don Murphy and Tom DeSanto," said Brian Goldner, President of Hasbro's U.S. toys group. "TRANSFORMERS is a natural for the big screen, and both Tom and Don have the track record and skill to bring to life a TRANSFORMERS movie that will be action-packed and flawlessly executed."
Hasbro's focus on the TRANSFORMERS brand is consistent with the Company's strategy of driving and extending its core brands through innovative toys and games as well as other forms of entertainment. TRANSFORMERS is one of the most popular boys toy brands, with sales up 64% in 2002 vs. 2001. First introduced in the U.S. market in 1984 as a toy line, the success of TRANSFORMERS continues to grow in a wide-range of entertainment categories. The hit television show TRANSFORMERS ARMADA airs on Cartoon Network seven times a week, with more than 12 million viewers. The show also airs in Europe and Australia. TRANSFORMERS ARMADA comic books, published by Dreamwave are also highly successful, with some of the most popular titles in the industry. The comic books are also translated and distributed in many markets around the world. There will be new TRANSFORMERS television programming and comic books launching in 2004.
"The Hasbro Properties Group (HPG) continues to deliver on its mission of extending Hasbro's rich portfolio of brands beyond toys and games and into multiple forms of entertainment," said Jane Ritson-Parsons, HPG President. "Our alignment with Tom DeSanto and Don Murphy demonstrates the power of our TRANSFORMERS brand and our determination to leverage our properties aggressively and creatively."
The Hasbro Properties Group develops and extends Hasbro's core brands, such as G.I. JOE, TRANSFORMERS, MY LITTLE PONY, MONOPOLY and CANDY LAND, into a wide variety of entertainment and consumer categories. Hasbro Consumer Products Worldwide is the licensing and promotions arm of the Hasbro Properties Group.

I just hope it doesn't suck.

Rogue II
06-11-2003, 05:27 PM
I saw something about this earlier today. Live action?

Exhaust Port
06-11-2003, 05:33 PM
One can only hope that with the amazing breakthroughs in CGI that a live action Transformers movie would be awesome!

Kidhuman
06-11-2003, 05:51 PM
I dunno about a live actin movie. If it is mostly CGI, how can that be live action? There are only a few characters that would be in the movie that aren't.

Eternal Padawan
06-11-2003, 07:04 PM
What happened to that thread what had the CGI of a VW bug transforming? That was sweet!

Somebody find it!

A Live Action Transformers Movie would have to be Gen1 or nothing.

Exhaust Port
06-11-2003, 08:25 PM
I updated the link in the other thread but here it is again if you're too lazy to jump over there.

http://www.botcollector.com/ComShowCase1.htm

aharry
06-11-2003, 11:02 PM
I don't know if this is old news already, I saw this in my Yahoo headlines today.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=598&ncid=600&e=2&u=/nm/20030611/film_nm/film_transformers_dc

I'm not sure if the link will work, so if not, I'm sure the story can be easily found. It came from Reuters Movie section. Personally, I would spend money instantly to see it. I do hope that they go along with the original 80s characters and storyline, not the Beast Wars or Armada stuff.

mini-rock
06-11-2003, 11:06 PM
This is awesome news. Weren't we just talking about this on the forums. Wait...I guess it was about a year ago. Everyone was talking about a live action G.I.Joe, and I said well if they make a live action G.I.Joe then they have to do a live action Transformers movie. Or maybe it was on HTF, I dunno. Anyway, yeah this is great news. I can't wait to see how it turns out. And I agree with Eternal Padawan that they have to be G1.

aharry
06-11-2003, 11:22 PM
Whoops, didn't see the other thread.

Eternal Padawan
06-12-2003, 09:22 AM
Whoo hoo! A Live Action Transformers movie! Why has nobody else mentioned this? Or started a thread about it? I'm so excited I may start my own thread about it right now! Whoo Hoo!

;):rolleyes: :crazed:

Eternal Padawan
06-12-2003, 09:28 AM
And Peter Cullen has to do Optimus Prime's voice. I mean, otherwise it would sound like an impostor Optimus Prime and that would lead to rioting in major metropolitan areas and quite possibly WWIII and Le Freedom would surrender...

So for the sake of the planet, Tom DeSanto, hire Peter Cullen.

El Chuxter
06-12-2003, 11:18 AM
A G1 movie could rock. . . though the way Hasbro seems incapable of grasping that it's G1 that's popular while they make and discontinue totally new TF lines weekly, I'm afraid we might end up with some crap like "Robots in Disguise vs Armada: The Beast Wars Years."

The Overlord Returns
06-12-2003, 12:05 PM
The only problem with G1 is that the guy who voice Megatron, and Starscream, and several others I believe, has passed away

El Chuxter
06-12-2003, 01:21 PM
RIP Chris Latta. :cry: IIRC, he also voiced Ravage, Skywarp, Reflector, and Soundwave.

Also, Jazz, Ultra Magnus, and Unicron would need new voices, as Scatman Caruthers, Robert Stack, and Orson Welles are no longer with us. :(

I think Casey Kasem voiced Cliffjumper and, if so, he sounds nothing like the little punk Autobot anymore.

If Leonard Nimoy is able to do so, I wouldn't mind hearing him fill in for Megatron. His Galvatron gave kids everywhere the willies. :eek: Tone Loc doesn't sound like Scatman, but he might do Jazz justice. And with the exception of Grimlock, the Dinobots need new voices anyway. (Slag = Dizzy Devil!) My votes are Ving Rhames as Slag and Tiny Zeus Lister as Sludge. That'd be cool.

But I'm with the Eternal One. Peter Cullen or no one for Optimus! Well, maybe James Earl Jones.

The Overlord Returns
06-12-2003, 01:46 PM
I wonder if they could get Judd nelson to reprise the role of HotRod??

mini-rock
06-12-2003, 02:51 PM
Peter Cullen should be doing OP for the movie. All of uf who grew up with the Transformers in the 80's would like to see the original voices for the characters return, but I'm sure all the characters will have new voices, especially since some of the actors who voiced the charcters are now gone. Peter Cullen voicing Optimus would be awesome, and IMO it shouldn't be any other way, but it won't ruin the movie for me if he doesn't.

aharry
06-12-2003, 11:05 PM
You should, everybody is doing it. It the latest craze. Transformer threads for everybody.

plasticfetish
06-13-2003, 04:09 AM
I haven't heard anything that indicates that it will or wont be a G1 themed movie ... I'd wait and see before you get too excited about that idea. My guess would be that it "might" end up as something more modern ... with a combo of live action, real people, real vehicles and CG bots. Could be cool, who knows? As Adam said up top ... "I just hope it doesn't suck."

mini-rock
06-13-2003, 05:19 PM
Don Murphy said that the movie will be based on the "original lineup" from the 80's in a little article I just read over at comingsoon.net. COOL!:)

Eternal Padawan
06-13-2003, 05:59 PM
WHAT?!?! The Transformer movie is getting it's own THREAD now too?!?!?

THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!

The only thing cooler than a Transformer Movie is a Transformer Movie THREAD. Or even better a THREAD about a Transformer Movie Thread.

Or a MOVIE about a thread about a Transformer Movie (or its thread)...

Eternal Padawan
06-13-2003, 06:02 PM
Frank (Megatron) Welker is dead? That sucks.

That means Soundwave, Ravage, Rumble, Frenzy, Laserbeak, Buzzsaw, Trailbreaker, Mirage, Sludge, and Mixmaster are all gonna need to be recast. Frank was a busy boy, Cybertronically speaking....

plasticfetish
06-13-2003, 06:02 PM
Very cool. I just looked over at that. It really cold be great if they do it right ... if not, It'll be "Howard the Duck" all over again.

El Chuxter
06-13-2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by plasticfetish
It'll be "Howard the Duck" all over again.

All right!! I am so there. :D

Rogue II
06-14-2003, 10:08 AM
Well, I call dibs on creating the Transformers Movie Video Game thread. You can't release a movie now-a-days without a video game to go along with it.

The Overlord Returns
06-16-2003, 02:35 PM
There's a news bit on CNN.com confirming that they will be using the G1 cast..........very good news....

In addendum to a previous post, Frank Welker did the voice for Megatron and Soundwave, and is very much alive.....Chris Latta did Star Scream, it was he who past away several years back.

Eternal Padawan
06-16-2003, 02:46 PM
I've heard they are putting out two different TF video games. ( Nothing to do with the movie) One is a storyline adventure ( the details are spotty) and the other is a fighting game where you can be your fave Autobot or Decepticon and punch, kick and shoot other Cybertronians. You can even transform and run them over! I've seen screenshots for this one! SWEEET! Me, I'm being Grimlock and nobody else. :D

mini-rock
06-16-2003, 02:49 PM
Yeah, Don Murphy said that last friday. Good news indeed.

Eternal Padawan
06-16-2003, 02:49 PM
Chris Latta also did Sparkplug and Wheeljack's voices.

Man, Dies in the movie, dies in the comic, then his voice dies in real life. Wheeljack gets NO love....:cry:

The Overlord Returns
06-16-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by mini-rock
Yeah, Don Murphy said that last friday. Good news indeed.

oops........missed your post on the first page......

Something about me and the internet is not right today.....

zeroplate
06-16-2003, 04:34 PM
i heard they are making a game where you play a transformers fanboy who starts transformers movie threads and then get selected to be in a reality-tv style movie about transformers movie threadmaking. i saw a screen shot- it didn't look too hot but i hear the sound is incredible.

JediTricks
06-16-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
Frank (Megatron) Welker is dead? That sucks. I hadn't heard that, his listing on IMDB doesn't say that.

plasticfetish
06-17-2003, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by zeroplate
i heard they are making a game where you play a transformers fanboy who starts transformers movie threads and then get selected to be in a reality-tv style movie about transformers movie threadmaking. i saw a screen shot- it didn't look too hot but i hear the sound is incredible.

Damn! I thought the smart *** olympics were next year.
And they're in Atlanta this year, huh?

Eternal Padawan
06-17-2003, 03:22 PM
Okay look! Overlord Returns said that the guys who did the voices of Megatron and Starscream were dead. He thought it was the same guy ( Chriss Latta). I thought he meant Welker had died also. It was a misscommunication!

FRANK WELKER IS ALIVE AND WELL AND LOOKING FORWARD TO DOING MEGATRON'S VOICE FOR THE UPCOMING FILM.

( That last part was conjecture on my part, but if I were him, I'd be happy to do it!)

El Chuxter
06-17-2003, 03:24 PM
And Mira Sorvino is looking forward to bringing the Transformers' superhuman opponent Circuit Breaker to the big screen.

Mmmm, Mira Sorvino wearing electrical tape. :happy:

The Overlord Returns
06-17-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
Okay look! Overlord Returns said that the guys who did the voices of Megatron and Starscream were dead. He thought it was the same guy ( Chriss Latta). I thought he meant Welker had died also. It was a misscommunication!

FRANK WELKER IS ALIVE AND WELL AND LOOKING FORWARD TO DOING MEGATRON'S VOICE FOR THE UPCOMING FILM.

( That last part was conjecture on my part, but if I were him, I'd be happy to do it!)

Not only that...but I adjusted the first mistaken identity thing in my last post....

I would have THOUGHT a supermoderator like JT would take the time to read all the posts in a thread ;)

JediTricks
06-18-2003, 04:48 PM
I was only responding to the specific comment, its context was non-issue for me compared to the question itself claiming that Frank "I'm in everything" Welker was dead. I hadn't seen the edit to TOR's post at that time because I had an earlier-cached page... so that's what you get when you go back and edit posts. :p nyeh

El Chuxter
01-07-2004, 02:39 PM
I've been thinking a lot--too much--about this movie.

First of all, the teams must be kept small. Anything more than a handful or two on each side would be confusing for those who don't recall or never cared about the originals. The Autobots should all be cars, and the 'Cons should mostly be planes.

Here's my thoughts on the ideal lineups:
Autobots
1 Optimus Prime (complete given)
2 Bumblebee (also a given)
3 Jazz (yep, given)
4 Ironhide
5 Ratchet
6 Sideswipe
7 Sunstreaker
8 Wheeljack
9 Hound
10 Mirage
11 Cliffjumper
12 Tracks
13 Huffer
14 Brawn

Decepticons
1 Megatron (definitely has to be a gun!)
2 Starscream
3 Soundwave
4 Rumble
5 Ravage
6 Lazerbeak
7 Thundercracker
8 Skywarp
9 Thrust
10 Ramjet
11 Dirge
12 Devastator/Constructicons
13 Jetfire (though, of course, he has to switch sides later on)

I cut some of the original tapes (Frenzy and Buzzsaw) just to save confusion. Those six similar looking jets are tough enough to keep straight. :) Also, since this presumably wouldn't be little more than an ad geared at kids who like heroes more than villains, the numbers should be more equal.

I'd love to see Grimlock, and everyone knows and loves him, but for the life of me I can't figure out how he could work in there. Maybe for the sequel. Blaster, Hot Rod, and Ultra Magnus should also figure into a sequel.

More characters could and should make background cameos in the obligatory "departure from Cybertron" opening.

Voice-wise, Peter Cullen must be Prime. Otherwise no movie. Period. Can't think of a worthy replacement for Jazz, but (on the way off chance he'd do it) John Malkovich would be a kickin' Starscream. Soundwave should be digital. If Shockwave appears, he should definitely lose to "tired old man" voice from the cartoons.

As for Megs, I have what may sound like an odd choice, but it would be perfect. Plus, he's already done Megatron on the big screen. . . from a certain point of view. Leonard Nimoy.

Can't think of any real preferences on the others, aside from Casey Kasem probably shouldn't be Cliffjumper again. And Judd Nelson should reprise Hot Rod, if he appears.

Adam
01-15-2004, 02:33 AM
I think all the season one bots and cons sans Jetfire would be fine.

While I too would prefer that Cullen voice Prime, Gary Chaulk - the current Prime, does a good job IMO. I would have no problem with him doing it. But only if Cullen doesn't.

JediTricks
01-15-2004, 07:23 PM
I think Garry Chalk is pretty awesome as Optimus Primal, but his voice has a bit too much emotion and sensitivity to it compared to Peter Cullen. Cullen's voice has a warrior's edge to it I think, one that worked perfectly for Optimus Prime back in the day and should be the only option for making a live-action TF movie. It drives me nuts that he does the voiceovers for Cartoon Network, including TF:Armada, but doesn't do the actual Optimus Prime character anymore.

El Chuxter
01-16-2004, 12:22 PM
Okay, I remembered Leonard Nimoy's voice-over from Atlantis, and he's no Megatron anymore. :( Though if they want Shockwave to still have the "tired old man" voice, Leonard's a shoo-in. :)

Frank Welker did some voice overs on the GameCube Clone Wars game, but I can't recall who.

And an interesting choice I came up with for Grimlock: Michael Clarke Duncan. Not as fierce sounding, but could easily sound colder, more calculating. Particularly if they somehow work in the "Me, Grimlock: bad***!!" line from The War Within.

Exhaust Port
01-18-2004, 09:38 PM
On the Mazda USA website they have an animation of a transforming RX8 Autobot. Pretty cool.

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/NA_Autoshow/transform_big.html

The 'Xir
01-23-2004, 05:38 PM
I hadn't been following this thread or knew anything about this planned movie, but now I'm all excited. This franchise is probably my favorite next to Star Wars of course!
That RX8 is sweet also!

Now, I've read most of everyones replies, but correct me if any of these guys are deceased. Here's my opinion of what voice actors that can't be left out of this movie, they don't neccessarily have to reprise their or all of their former characters roles, but at least be apart of the movie!

Jack Angel - Astrotrain, Ramjet, Smokescreen
Michael Bell - Bombshell, Prowl, Scrapper, Sideswipe, Swoop
Greg Berger - Grimlock, Long Haul, Sky/Jetfire
Arthur Burghardt - Devestator
Cory Burton - Brawn, Shockwave, Sunstreaker, Spike
Peter Cullen - Optimus Prime, Ironhide
Victor Caroli - Narrator
Michael Chain - Hoist, Red Alert, Skids
BJ Davis - Dirge, Predaking
Walker Edmiston - Inferno
Ed Gilbert - Thrust
Dan Gilvezan - Bumblebee/GoldBug, HotSpot, Rollbar
Casey Kasem - Bluestreak, CliffJumper, Teletraan 1
Don Messick - Gears, Ratchet, Scavenger
Hal Rayle - Pipes, Shrapnel, Snarl
Clive Revill - Kickback
Neil Ross - Bonecrusher, Hook, Slag
Ken Sansom - Hound
John Stephenson - Huffer, Thundercracker, Windcharger
Frank Welker - Frenzy, Galvatron, Lazerbeak, Megatron, Mirage, Mixmaster, Ratbat, Ravage, Rumble, Skywarp, Sludge, Soundwave, Trailbreaker

I was unaware also, and was sad to learn that Chris Latta had passed away, although he died nearly 10 years ago June 12 1994. Next to Hound, Wheeljack was one of my favorite Transformers, and obviously he lent incredible character and charisma to Starscream!
Although Doug Parker and Micael Dobson don't do a bad jobs with the latest Starscream incarnations, they'd be good replacements if used in the movie!

El Chuxter
01-26-2004, 01:43 PM
Picture it. . . .

Manhattan skyline, slowing zooming in on one of the bridges. Traffic is at a standstill. We hear a radio traffic report, speaking about the gridlock.

Suddenly, we hear the whooshing of jet engines. The announcer yells, "What the hell?" just as six fighter jets nearly knock his chopper out of the air and streak over the bridge.

At that instant, several cars on the bridge change into the robot forms of Optimus Prime, Jazz, Bumblebee, Tracks, Ironhide, Wheeljack, Prowl, Sideswipe, Sunstreaker, Hound, Mirage, Brawn, Cliffjumper, and Windcharger. Immediately, the jets perform and impossibly sharp 180 turn and change into Starscream, Skywarp, Thundercracker, Thrust, Ramjet, and Dirge.

As we cut between various shots of the ensuing battle, the classic narrator voice from the 80s cartoon reading the original advertising blurb: "It is a world transformed, a world where things are not as they seem. It is the world of heroic Autobots and evil Decepticons. It is the world of. . . "

At this moment, the scene is replaced by the original TF logo, and cut to the final few seconds of "The Transformers (Theme)" as performed by Lion ("the Transformers," followed by a heavy guitar chord).

mabudonicus
01-26-2004, 04:26 PM
Chux, I've watched that scene in me head for years... I always imagined some sort of Auto Show, with some kind of race (this would be the trailer) with just shots of cars driving around all crazy, then out of nowhere a huge explosion, people flying everywheres, a few of the cars transform into blazing action right as a group of jets come blazing in... man, it could be SOOO SWEET......

El Chuxter
01-26-2004, 04:49 PM
I don't think it really matters how or where it happens, but for the first trailer, it's almost necessary to make the sudden transformations a huge shock on most viewers. I mean, there's nothing really wrong with folks thinking, "That truck looks like Optimus Prime" or something, but anyone who's not a geek like us should be completely caught off guard by it, pee in their pants with excitement, and immediately have plans made for the release date. :D

Xir, I doubt Casey Kasem would reprise his role as Cliffjumper. He's retiring from America's Top Forty, so it'd be unlikely he'd come back for the role. I don't have any problem with most of the voice talent from the show, but as an adult it bugs me to no end that so many of them are the same couple of people, and it's painfully obvious.

And how would you cast Dinobots? The original, gruff cartoon voices, or the somewhat sillier movie voices? (Did you ever notice how Slag in particular changed from a rather scary growl to Dizzy Devil?)

Mark Hamill might be a good addition, too. In addition to Luke Skywalker, he did excellent turns at the Joker (in the classic Batman Animated Series and spin-off movies) and Wolverine (in the Wolverine's Revenge game).

Exhaust Port
01-26-2004, 08:23 PM
I don't think it really matters how or where it happens, but for the first trailer, it's almost necessary to make the sudden transformations a huge shock on most viewers. I mean, there's nothing really wrong with folks thinking, "That truck looks like Optimus Prime" or something, but anyone who's not a geek like us should be completely caught off guard by it, pee in their pants with excitement, and immediately have plans made for the release date. :D
The large Autobot symbols will probably give it away. :D ;)

The 'Xir
01-28-2004, 01:49 PM
Hey Chuxster!!!
Yeah I also would love it, if Mark Hamill came in to lend his voice, as far as Mr. Casem is concerned, he isnt fully retirring now is he? Great Description for that would be trailer too!

EP - Don't forget ya gotta rub their hoods or doors with your thumb to get'em to appear! I mean it's not like the heat from their engines are gonna cause them to show! ;) :D

I wonder if they will stay true to the Autobots travel habits, as in the line they form! Optimus leading the way with either Jazz, Bumblebee, or Ironhide second in line then etc etc!

Listen to us talking as if we know which generation they are putting on the Big Screen...Do we know what generation they are going to use? G1 G2 Armada, some Japanese version(doubtful, I know) But really do we know?

kool-aid killer
01-28-2004, 03:16 PM
Adam has said that it will be the G1 Autobots. Im looking forward to this movie. Not with the same type of anticipation as i had for episode 1 and 2, TTT, and ROTK; but it still sounds like it could be awesome.

Exhaust Port
11-25-2004, 08:22 PM
Check out this movie:

http://www.k10k.net/dropbox/newstempstuff/eurcncs185030.mpg

I'm really impressed by this transformation.

Tycho
01-16-2005, 04:13 PM
So what's happening lately concerning a release of a live action Transformers movie?

When will it happen?

Who will star in it? (live actors, and voice actors, as well as T'characters?)

The 'Xir
01-18-2005, 08:58 PM
Damn! I forgot to keep up with this thread!!! Hey, EP that commercial is FREAKING awesome!!!!! It definitley shows that things are admist to get things rolling on this live action movie! If that commmercial is any sign of things to come, I think we're gonna be in for one hell of a ride! As long as there is a good story to compliment such great CGI work!!!

Hey Tycho, it doesn't offer much but you can check out this! (http://movies.go.com/moviesdynamic/movies/movie?id=634433)
Also I just did a google search and there is a ton of stuff regarding the movie! Problem is most of it is all the same, and not much new info since mid-year 2004!

Exhaust Port
01-18-2005, 09:11 PM
Here's some info from November 2004.

November 3, 2004... CATWOMAN scribe John Rogers will begin to see very large robots haunting his dreams. The writer has been selected to write the screenplay for the live-action TRANSFORMERS movie that's currently in development with DreamWorks and Paramount Pictures and that's based on the toy line by Hasbro. The film's story was first developed by X-MEN executive producer Tom DeSanto; now Rogers will sit down at the word processor and work things out into a feature length script.

Rogers executive produced and wrote the pilot for a GLOBAL FREQUENCY television series, based on the Warren Ellis comic book of the same name. The show was filmed for The WB Network but no official word has been heard whether it's been picked up for series. His other credits include THE CORE, AMERICAN OUTLAWS and he's also working on RUSH HOUR 3 and a movie adaptation of the FATAL FRAME video game for DreamWorks. [Variety.]

http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?obj_id=42098&aff_id=0&this_cat=Development+Heck

Imperial Monarche
02-08-2005, 03:05 PM
By the way, I'm not referring to the 1986 anime movie for any of those not in the know...

Actually, when I heard that this movie was being made with a mix of live-action and CGI, I was kind of iffy. Then I heard that it was being made strictly from the comics and 80's cartoon mythology of Generation One and I started to get my hopes up. Then I heard that it would include the original characters and be an origin story and I really started to get excited. The I found out it was being produced by the great Steven Spielberg. About then I was ready to fork over the money now to see it.

Then...

I found out that the guy that scribed "Catwoman" was writing the script. Without even seeing "Catwoman", I was losing hope already. But, I tried to convince myself that the rumors of the "Catwoman" script being really good, but the production team rewrote and screwed around with it, so I was feeling better. But then, now that the first draft of the script is done, Don Murphy (who is heading the project I guess) has been posting in his forums answers to questions from others who post there.

He's talking about Megatron is going to be a tank in his alt. mode. He won't reveal what Soundwave will transform into, but from what it sounds he won't be a tape player. Ratchet won't transform into an ambulance but some other emergency vehicle. I mean, Don Murphy is talking about how much he wants to stay true to the mythology, comics and cartoon, but he's allowing this crap to happen. Megatron is a gun, Ratchets an ambulance and Soundwave is a freakin' tape player. If they want to update these characters to modern times, make them a modern gun, ambulance or tape player. When is Hollywood going to wake and stop messing with classics?

Droid
02-08-2005, 04:02 PM
I'm pretty strict on rules on deciding if I will see a movie adaption of a TV show or comic I loved.

I didn't see X-men because I didn't like that they weren't going to wear the costumes from the comics.

I didn't see the Incredible Hulk because I heard that he fought a Hulk poodle and that his father turned into a rainstorm.

I almost didn't see Spider-man because he didn't build the web slingers.

I won't see the Transformers if Megatron isn't a gun, if Ratchet isn't an ambulance, and if Soundwave isn't a tape recorder.

Stop "updating" the classics. Just do a straight telling of the story people. :frus:

Droid
02-08-2005, 04:05 PM
And they should probably leave the Dinobots for a second movie ... if they do them at all!

El Chuxter
02-08-2005, 04:54 PM
They're probably considering the fact that there will have to be a tie-in toyline of some sort, and it's tough to produce a toy gun these days. Crappy reason, yeah, but maybe that's the thought process here.

Imperial Monarche
02-08-2005, 10:05 PM
They're probably considering the fact that there will have to be a tie-in toyline of some sort, and it's tough to produce a toy gun these days. Crappy reason, yeah, but maybe that's the thought process here.

Yeah...and what Hollywood has once again failed to realize is that money isn't everything. You know, we don't care how much money it makes, just as long as it's true to the storyline. Forget the extra money on merchandising. Besides, the toy tie-in was already done...twenty years ago.

The 'Xir
02-09-2005, 09:04 PM
Soundwave was my Favorite from G1 along with Shockwave, Skywarp, Wheeljack and Hound and he's the only one out of those I just mentioned that I wouldn't mind if they updated him a little, say into a CD player or maybe even a MP3 player or Palm Pilot! I could handle those kinda changes as long as his robot mode looked the same!!! The only problem with this is then what about Ravage, Frenzy,Lazerbeak and co.?, it's not like you can have them transform into Cd's! Maybe Soundwave can be a CD/DVD player and Ravage and co. can be the devices like Mp3 players and palm pilots that Soundwave hooks up to in order to transfer data! Just a thought!

Actually just rereading this, It got me thinking! How come Cdplayers have never had built in microphones for exterior sound recordings like Tape players used to have? Sure you can plug a mic into a cd player, but they have never had built in mics!!! I know Cd recording capability in personal devices iis relativly new, but what gives?!!! :frus:

JediTricks
02-09-2005, 09:06 PM
They're trying to avoid size-changers, so that's another good reason why Megs is a tank.

Tycho
02-09-2005, 11:26 PM
They're trying to avoid size-changers, so that's another good reason why Megs is a tank.

Good point. Then Soundwave couldn't be a personal music device of any kind.

Intead, what about a TV News media truck with a satelite uplink dish? Something like that?

Or since (In my religion) Decepticons are mostly aircraft anyway, how about one of those communications planes with the big radar dish on its back?

Yes, the robot would somehow still look the same.

Exhaust Port
02-10-2005, 07:10 AM
Or since (In my religion) Decepticons are mostly aircraft anyway, how about one of those communications planes with the big radar dish on its back?

He would be huge. :D Unfortunately the Decepticons will suffer the greatest due having more characters that have size issues. I agree though that similar vehicles/objects could be found. I figure Megatron could be a Howitzer or some other large military cannon rather than a tank.

Droid
02-10-2005, 11:17 AM
SO WHAT if it doesn't make sense for a little tape recorder or gun to transform into a huge robot? (Though I seem to remember that Megatron transformed into a gun the size that other Transformers could use him, not humans) The whole idea of Transformers is absurd anyway. Just make a movie of what WE LOVED, as it was.

And I'm with Tycho. Decepticons fly. If Megatron can't be a gun, he should be a plane of some kind, certainly not a TANK!

I just know I'm not going to see this movie. I'd rather rent the cartoon on DVD.

Tycho
02-10-2005, 01:03 PM
Droid you mistook what I said. I'm ok with Megatron being a tank - a piece of military hardware in general.

The size change thing I don't like due to the toy line. Remember having a walkman cassette player that was larger than a Porsche? (Soundwave, Jazz)

Some tradition is good, but never state that there's no room for improvement.

My favorite idea is having the Decepticons being things that destroy the environment, like off-shore oil drilling platforms, that sort of thing. Soundwave could be a cell phone tower that causes cancer. Then the Autobots would really be out to save the earth ;)

Val Da Car
02-13-2005, 12:41 PM
Just posted at Darkhorizsons.com

This quote in the Interview with Speilberg.......

Transformers?

Spielberg: It's happening. We'll announce the director in three weeks, three or four weeks.

Eternal Padawan
07-06-2005, 09:49 PM
Updates.

Have they officially announced Michael Bay yet? This guy really splits fanbases down the middle. You either love him or hate him. Personally, I like his style and say what you will, he can do big action. Which is what a TF movie would be: BIG ACTION.

I also heard George Clooney is voice cast as Optimus Prime. This sucks. Are they gonna make CG Optimus dip his chin down to his chest and roll his eyes up every time he talks? Because that is all I'll be able to picture every time Clooney's voice comes out of Prime's beak.

Also, in a cruel bit of irony, I can see some shmuck marketing guy hiring Peter Cullen to do the trailer, so we'll be teased with a big screen version of what could have been...

But other than that, this movie is gonna RULE!

ronhudy
07-14-2005, 06:11 PM
Here's a recent article. Looks like July 4, 2007 is the release date. There's a website up, too.

Article:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20050714/en_movies_eo/16938

http://www.transformerslive.com/

megaprime33
07-15-2005, 08:41 AM
To give more information on this, as I have been following it closely, Michael Bay has ben confirmed as the director of the movie. No actor has been cast yet and Don Murphy has already debunked the rumor of Clooney.

In a recent interview with the writers, they have said that they would like to keep it to 10 TFs total, 5 bots and 5 cons. They have also stated that Arcee will be in it. Which makes me start to wonder at what point in the timeline they are having this movie be. I had always hoped that they would have started it from the begining and explain who the TFs are, what they're fighting over, and how they got to earth. But now that arcee is in it, and she didn't arrive until the movie, then they have already been on earth for awhile. That's of course if you go by the cartoon timeline.

Exhaust Port
07-15-2005, 09:36 AM
Only 10 TF's? Come on, this is a franchise that itches to have hundreds of TF's involved. Perhaps they mean only 10 TF characters with others only making background appearances.

I'm also somewhat disappointed that Arcee will be used. She was a crappy character and never added to the show. Arcee was always an obvious gimic.

megaprime33
07-15-2005, 10:58 AM
I only see the point of having arcee in there for the fact that every movie needs to have a female lead. They could have put Carly in as the lead but is definitely more of a secondary character than anything else. In TF the movie Arcee was at least one of the leads.

JediTricks
07-15-2005, 07:40 PM
I've already railed on this piece of garbage for having Bay as the director. He's said that he isn't even a Transformers fan, he just wants to do this so he can start a family-oriented franchise (read: kiddie repeat business). He's the lowest scum on the face of the planet, his work has repeatedly lowered the bottom of the barrel for Hollywood in the most expensive manner possible. As for this 10 bots crap, that's just pathetic, and since this is really a "revisioning" of the G1 era (read: rip off that's vague and isn't required to stick to any of the parts that made it great) it means the story will be about finding the Matrix on Earth, and having Arcee as a team member over dozens of more reasonable choices. This movie sounds like it's going to suck royally and I plan on staying as far away as humanly possible

Tycho
07-25-2005, 07:44 PM
How do they revision this?

"A boy and his car." Sounds like Knight Rider more than Back to the Future.

10 Transformers total? Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe 10 will be speaking characters with substantial roles? Maybe not.

If 10....who's "the boy's friend that's a car?"

1. Optimus
2. Megatron
3. Jazz
4. Soundwave
5. Arcee??? (I haven't seen this confirmed)
6. Starscream
7. Shockwave

It would make sense to have at least 1-2 more Autobots.

Jazz could form a bond with the boy, but I'd suspect

BumbleBee
Hotrod
Hound
Wheeljack

would all work better.

Ironhide remains a strange possibility. These characters, minus HotRod who wasn't original cast material, should all be in the film.

They said they wanted to tell a story through human eyes and not through the robots - so you'd have people you care about :rolleyes:

Optimus Prime is one of the most inspiring and admirable heroes to ever grace this toy-to-cartoon genre. I hope he is not wasted on being aloof and unreachable as a character. Somehow the cartoon made him more human than any of the show's human characters. That's Prime's gift as a character. It's hard to describe.

But I want to go see a movie that's about Optimus Prime.

That's a fact.

kool-aid killer
07-25-2005, 11:55 PM
This movie might actually hurt the Transformers name more than help it. Good Lord, only 10 Autobots and Decepticons? What im reading so far isnt causing me much excitement, more like a pain at the bottom of my stomach. Im desperate to hear some good news about this flick.

Tycho
07-26-2005, 01:20 AM
Reasons WHY they would only do 10 Autobots and Decepticons.....

1) it is too expensive to do CGI on more and map all of those with CAD drawing or whatever it takes to make them work, transform, etc.

2) there actually are more in the respective armies, but only 10 have major speaking parts: Starscream, Megatron, Optimus, etc. For example, Tracks doesn't need to say anything. He'll be there (as Transformer # 11) but they aren't counting him because he won't have any lines.

3) They wanted to "strand" some characters on earth and not have to deal with their whole armies to get into deeper character development (hopefully with Optimus Prime)

4) They are changing the whole Transformers storyline, and there is no Cybertron or something, so there are only 10 - maybe made by "Cyberdine Systems" or something, and some malfunction or "go bad" becoming Decepticons and the Autobots are human-created (or programmed better) to stop them. This might be cool - BUT it has huge copycat issues with Terminator films, perhaps "the Matrix" - literally, too. This would explain why they turn into earth vehicles though (versus Teletran 1 going "explore...explore!")

5) They are using real cars and other brand name vehicles in the films and only so many manufacturers allowed their licenses to be used. (Read: No BumbleBee again - thanks to Volkswagon). Meanwhile, the directors stayed realistic to Hasbro's modern line - they used the same sculpt over and over again 10 times. (In the movie, Prime shoots Tracks because he mistakes him for Ravage, right?) :rolleyes: Anyway, even with CGI, they couldn't make enough different faces to make the audience believe the same car was a different character - so this movie WILL INDEED be based off Hasbro's toys afterall - and Grimlock will be a Ford Mustang :rolleyes:

6) Tom Cruise visited the set and explained to them that Transformers did not comply with the balance in the universe established by scientology and the only way to get him to back down was to compromise by using half the Transformers they originally intended to.

mabudonicus
07-26-2005, 07:52 AM
LMAO! Sadly enough, Tycho, I bet it's a little of all six :D

I hope no-one involved with the project wants to make it more "believable" or we may end up with Ice Cube as Prime, talkin all streetwise like "He's fronting, autobots" or even "Bo-Shizzle" :beard:

The 'Xir
09-20-2005, 03:47 AM
Just thought I'd revive this after 2 dead months! No real new big news from transformerslive.com.

Tycho in resonse to #5 of your last post, if Volkswagen is unwilling to give up their licencees than how the heck did Herbie the Love Bug' ever get made?!

With everything I've gathered from all the last few posts, it sounds as if Arcee will be the one who does most of the human interaction!

Although with everything I've read over at TFL.com Nothing has really even been written/fleshed out yet!

kool-aid killer
09-20-2005, 12:43 PM
But Herbie didnt shoot at people. I think Volkswagons problem is they dont want the car depicted as a war machine. Havent heard much about the movie, part of me is really scared about what it could turn out like.

El Chuxter
09-20-2005, 01:30 PM
But Herbie didnt shoot at people.

No, but it would've been really, really funny if he had. :twisted:

Val Da Car
09-20-2005, 01:33 PM
Or Drove over Hillary?

Maybe they will blurr the emblem out for VW?

Exhaust Port
09-20-2005, 02:44 PM
But Herbie didnt shoot at people. I think Volkswagons problem is they dont want the car depicted as a war machine.

Too bad Hitler did that for them back in the 1930's. :)

I find it absurd that a company "fears" that such associations will focus on some bizarre negative. It's been a toy for 20+ years and in a motion picture already not to mention all the cartoon episodes but NOW they are concerned about the car's image? I think VW's customer service is a bigger discredit to their product than anything that some TF movie could be.

Mandalorian Candidat
09-20-2005, 11:03 PM
I was listening to a movie critic (Steve Oldfield from Fox News) on the radio yesterday say that he overheard two production people at the Four Seasons about the Transformers movie entering into final stages of preproduction. Yeah it's like hearsay five times removed, but there it is...

JediTricks
09-21-2005, 06:01 PM
Bumblebee from the G1 line was not licensed from VW, and the concept is actually supposed to be a transforming robot from the Penny Racer version of a VW rather than the actual car, so it's possible they were never hip on the Transformers thing.

The 'Xir
10-03-2005, 06:56 PM
If they weren't hip then, I have a hard time believing that a corporation wouldn't want to cash in on a proven entity now! It's not like they're taking a risk on an investment. Especially when Speilberg is behind it. All they have to say is check please! :greedy:

Exhaust Port
10-18-2005, 03:05 PM
This shows a transforming Boeing 747 in some Japanese film. Anyone know what movie this is from?

http://www.collegeafterhours.com/content/media/movie_694.wmv

Warning: The hosting website might have some questionable adverts or other junk for our younger viewers but copy/pasting the above link is safe.

JediTricks
10-19-2005, 02:33 PM
It's from 2002's "Returner" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0339579/

Exhaust Port
10-19-2005, 03:18 PM
Wow, how did you dig that up? You wouldn't happen to have seen this movie would you? It appears that it never really scored very high on anyone's movie ranking system.

JediTricks
10-19-2005, 04:14 PM
Hell no I didn't see it, total gimmick movie with bad reviews. :p I simply searched "transforming 747" on google and it was in a guy's comment on the 2nd result.

Exhaust Port
10-19-2005, 06:45 PM
Gimmick movie with bad reviews?! Sweet, I think I might have to pick this one up. :)

The 'Xir
10-24-2005, 12:08 PM
I like the Planes intro, although unrealistic(unless it triplechanges into a Harrier or something), but overall I thought the transformation was uninmpressive. What was that anyways? A Dragon? A Wasp? A Cr*ppy movie? :ermm: :grin:

Hey if you guys wanna check out what's really going on with the new Transformers movie go here: http://www.donmurphy.net/

Exhaust Port
10-25-2005, 08:33 AM
Great website, thanks for the heads up.

The 'Xir
11-08-2005, 01:13 PM
If this isn't completely known yet, here is an update through an exchange by some memebers of another site:

Has Arcee ****** off yet?
Any Characters confirmed?
Any modes?
Any actors?
Any script?

Thank you!

1. Not yet.
2. Prime, Jazz, Ratchet, Bumblebee, Arcee.
Megatron, Soundwave, Starscream, Shockwave.
There's a possibility that there's going to be 10 Decepticons.
3.Soundwave will be a helicopter.
4.Not yet.
5. Not yet.

Exhaust Port
11-08-2005, 01:24 PM
Ugh, Arcee still?! Imagine the disappointment among fans once they start announcing actors or bits of the script make it out. It's only getting started and fans are grumbling about a few issues.

Any word what they are going to do with Megatron, or Shockwave for that matter? Tank or large gun? I can't remember if that was mentioned here before.

Soundwave is a helicopter? I'm a bit disappointed that it leaves out the possibility of the Cassette decepticons. Plus, Soundwave's name doesn't make much sense as a helicopter.

Tycho
11-09-2005, 12:44 PM
Helicopters make a lot of noise: a soundwave. Get it? I do. But it solves the size change dilemma with tie-in toys. Remember, I'm sticking with Alternators to cover my "movie scenes"

The 'Xir
11-16-2005, 12:59 PM
Soundwave is a helicopter? I'm a bit disappointed that it leaves out the possibility of the Cassette decepticons. Plus, Soundwave's name doesn't make much sense as a helicopter.

Yeah I'm a little suspect of that as well, and it's possible the author of that statement might have been reffering to Shockwave, and accidentally typed soundwave. However, it did come from Don Murphy's own site, and the freaks over there(which I'm now happy to be apart of) have been debating this stufff for forever, although I'm still handling everything myself as all still rumors! I personally though could see Shockwave as the helicopter, to me for some reason that just seems a better fit! We'll see.

Exhaust Port
11-17-2005, 09:56 PM
I could deal with Shockwave as a helicopter.

The 'Xir
11-21-2005, 01:42 PM
Alright, you knew someone would do it eventually....The First Trailer?

Autobots! Rollout! (http://www.julianfrancisadderley.com/images/P4-The-Transformers.mov)

El Chuxter
11-21-2005, 01:46 PM
Man, you got me all excited over nothing! :p

That's actually been floating around online for a few years. Still a very cool bit of CG work.

The 'Xir
11-21-2005, 02:03 PM
:twisted: HE HE HE HEEEE

Sorry, I knew they kinda cheated with that by wrapping that old vid around the look of a trailer, and why I said "First Trailer?" but it's still fun to watch! Kinda does get ya excited for 7-04-07 though don't it! :thumbsup:

Exhaust Port
11-21-2005, 04:23 PM
I knew it was a fake as soon as I realized that "The Touch" wasn't being used as the song. ;)

Tycho
11-26-2005, 08:31 PM
I can't wait for this movie! Optimus Prime is my hero.

JediTricks
06-08-2006, 11:01 PM
http://www.transformersmovie.com/

I hate Michael Bay so much! Could this scream "Independence Day 2: Now With Robots!" any more?!? Where's the Transformer part of this teaser banner ad? And what's with the ****ty catchphrase?

Oh, and I love how the countdown is a YEAR off.

El Chuxter
06-08-2006, 11:25 PM
Uh, is that Megs?

And what's with the music? It sounds like a half-arsed ripoff of the Raptor theme from Jurassic Park.

They'd better f***in' use "The Touch" in there somewhere.

Tycho
06-09-2006, 12:19 AM
It's a blue eye - an Autobot. And it's sort of sad, repentive looking. My bet is that it's OPTIMUS PRIME! Bow before the heroic Autobot leader!

I think if the eye was Megatron's it'd be red. That's just me though.

mabudonicus
06-09-2006, 07:59 AM
HOLY COW THIUS THING IS CARP!!! PICE OF CARP!!
Oh right, I'm not logged in as Nerbler :beard:

so... was it a problem with my browser that all's I saw was that pic of earth with a big eye superimposed over it?? or was that the "teaser"???

If that's all they can show off at this point I don't know why they would have bothered

I REALLY hope that they don't try to play up the "magical-ness" of the damn transformers, I know presonally the LAST thing on my mind was "wow, wouldn't it be wondrous if there were living robots??" when I watched the show, more like "man Optimus kicks butt"

I was not too concerned with the "provenance" of the characters, much more interested in watching them DO stuff and not just BE "wondrous" or whatever (just that music got me real ticked off for some reason, Chux called it, sounds a LOT like Jurassic Park, and if the plan is to have 60 friggin minutes of "building the magic" before ya even get to see a robot I think I can write this turkey off here and now)

:beard:

JediTricks
06-09-2006, 07:15 PM
It's a blue eye - an Autobot. And it's sort of sad, repentive looking. My bet is that it's OPTIMUS PRIME! Bow before the heroic Autobot leader!

I think if the eye was Megatron's it'd be red. That's just me though.Wow, Tycho, you just pointed out another serious problem with this thing which I hadn't considered, it's blatantly a bad guy eye but they left it the wrong color - shows how much Bay & co give a crap about this stuff.

so... was it a problem with my browser that all's I saw was that pic of earth with a big eye superimposed over it?? or was that the "teaser"???If you had been able to scroll down, you would have seen a countdown timer and the catchphrase and the movie's release date and a link for email updates. The countdown timer is for 25 days, some folks think it's a countdown to a teaser (which seems sorta difficult since there's no footage shot yet) but I am pretty sure it's counting down to July 4th for the movie's release date and isn't taking into account the fact that it's counting to the wrong July 4th.

If that's all they can show off at this point I don't know why they would have botheredAGREED!

Don't worry, I'm sure the movie will feature like 20 minutes of actual Transformers and the rest is human action. :eek:

Rocketboy
06-09-2006, 09:28 PM
The site, which features a Flash intro and the teaser poster artwork (http://comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14916#), is counting down to when the teaser trailer is revealed.http://comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14916

JediTricks
06-10-2006, 03:09 PM
I hope they're right, but they're not citing any source on that claim, could be wishful thinking.

El Chuxter
06-10-2006, 06:44 PM
I just know there had better not be a single reference to "sparks" in this film. That's Transformers EU (Beast Machine Metal Wars Whatever) crap to me.

mabudonicus
06-11-2006, 07:49 AM
Oh yeah, the sorta "new age religious" angle was pretty ridiculous- too bad you had to go and say it, as I read yer post I got this sinking feling like maybe the film IS gonna be some sort of religious metaphor... and I think I just threw up in my mouth a little, cos it sure as hell could happen (especially with the mentions in the earlier part about how the Decepticons will be shown to be "pure evil" whereas in the original they were just fighting against the autobots, almost like mutants vs humans in x-men, two different approaches to a similar "problem")

Dammit Chux, you ruined the film with one post :beard: (nice work btw)

Oh and
Don't worry, I'm sure the movie will feature like 20 minutes of actual Transformers and the rest is human action.
You know what will be the best?? when the first human/autobot child is conceived, maybe that'll be the "Action" of the third act (and don't blame me, Chux started it);)

Tycho
06-11-2006, 06:03 PM
Oh and
You know what will be the best?? when the first human/autobot child is conceived, maybe that'll be the "Action" of the third act (and don't blame me, Chux started it);)

That would be an AutoTot, right?

"AutoTots, Transform and Crawl-Out!" Hehehe.

What do you call one with messy diapers all the time? A Triple-Changer!

How about one with a full load in its drawers? Sound Waste!

Oh, I crack myself up sometimes.

JediTricks
06-11-2006, 09:57 PM
So now the argument by some G1 fans is that it's not a villain's eye, it's an eye in the Autobot symbol which would then make it consistant with it being blue. I think they're just grasping at straws, similar to the under-a-month countdown, but we'll see.

I am quite sure Michael Bay couldn't care **** about souls, robot or otherwise.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-12-2006, 12:30 AM
Holy Christ guys, RELAX. It's a flippin' FLASH INTRO for a movie that isn't going to be RELEASED FOR ANOTHER YEAR!!! Let's wait till we get some official pics, trailer, some plot info, etc. and hey, let's wait to SEE IT until we make a call?!! I mean, i enjoy Transformers, but c'mon, you guys are flipping out over a 45 second flash intro. Get a grip! :rolleyes:

Tycho
06-12-2006, 12:40 AM
I'm going to flip out in a minute here because no one cracked up at my great Transformers jokes!

I write my own material people!

Auto-TOT?

Sound Waste?

Triple-Changer?

Don't you guys get it? This is great stuff that only other nerds should be able to grasp and laugh at.

So it begins: my legacy - Tycho - The Last Nerd Standing. But I'll not have Tom Cruise play me in the movie.

Phantom-like Menace
06-12-2006, 12:59 AM
I'm going to flip out in a minute here because no one cracked up at my great Transformers jokes!

I liked Triple Changer. . . . Really, I did.

mabudonicus
06-12-2006, 08:19 AM
They were fine jokes, Tycho, fear not :D

JMG- it's okay, this is what the internet is for- back in the day, you had to actually wait til you went to see the film to know it sucked, nowadays they telegraph it to us :beard:

Rocketboy
06-12-2006, 03:03 PM
Haven't really followed this thread too much, so I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but does anyone thing that they'll follow the whole Cybertron thing?
For some reason I get the feeling that they're going to make the Transformers some high-tech A.I. products of the Government
or something.

El Chuxter
06-12-2006, 03:06 PM
"Their War, Our World" implies that they'll be aliens.

Rocketboy
06-12-2006, 03:11 PM
Oh yeah. Forgot about that tag line.

mabudonicus
06-13-2006, 06:08 AM
yeah, cos "whoever wins, WE lose" was taken already

I just hope it not like some kinda Dark Crystal, filled with "bonus meaning" is all, tho as JT points out, a "spiritual" angle might be over Bay's head :beard:

As long as it's fun I'll be happy enough

JediTricks
06-13-2006, 03:56 PM
The only thing Michael Bay worships is opening weekend box office returns... oh, and Satan.

DarthQuack
06-14-2006, 09:00 PM
Ok, hopefully a lot of people will make their way to this forum, so here's my one request. I am looking for Season 3 Part 1 and Season 3 Part 2/Season 4 on DVD put out by Rhino a few years ago...they are OOP, but I'm pretty sure some are still lurking at Borders and Barnes and Nobles out there....if ANYONE comes across either of can could you PLEASE pick them up for me...I really don't want to go the way of eBay or Amazon....it's just such a rip off that way. I'd be willing to give you cash straight up or make a deal with figures if that's your fancy. Thanks.

Tycho
06-14-2006, 10:17 PM
Are those the seasons with Rodimus Prime post-80's cartoon movie?

I'll keep my eyes open for them. Do I have permission to (very carefully) open them and watch them before I send them to you (if I can find them)? Then all I'd ask is for at-cost compensation and the shipping.

I want to see those episodes again - especially the Return of Optimus Prime!

DarthQuack
06-14-2006, 10:24 PM
I posted a link that shows what they look like, sure thing Tycho, I trust you to take care of them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6065076131&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Tycho
06-15-2006, 02:20 AM
I saw Kup and Galvatron in some of those animation cells in that auction. I didn't read into it well enough to see if those characters appear in any of those cartoons on the DVDs being auctioned.

But a lot of that (remember Sky Lynx?) were cool nostalgic pieces from G1 that were less re-run than the traditional Prime shows (which were still the best anyway).

darthvyn
06-27-2006, 12:13 PM
"ain't it cool" has a pic of bumblebee on a flatbed half-transformed or something...

http://www.aintitcool.com/images2006/bumble.jpg

interesting to say the least...

Kidhuman
06-27-2006, 12:15 PM
That it is Vyn. RB showed us the pic a little bit ago.

Rocketboy
06-27-2006, 01:59 PM
Nope, wasn't I.

Kidhuman
06-27-2006, 02:06 PM
Nope, wasn't I.

Was it Snaps?

JediTricks
06-27-2006, 02:41 PM
I don't like it, it's very skeletal which is the opposite of what the Transformers are all about, it may work for other robot designs but Transformers is different and it seems like Bay doesn't understand that.

darthvyn
06-27-2006, 02:45 PM
I don't like it, it's very skeletal which is the opposite of what the Transformers are all about, it may work for other robot designs but Transformers is different and it seems like Bay doesn't understand that.

bay doesn't understand anything except big explosions, ben affleck and nick cage...

BanthaPoodoo
06-27-2006, 02:45 PM
Don't know if this is true or not, but supposedly a CGI test of Transformers..

Looks cool either way...

http://www.blackfilm.com/20060512/features/transformertest_video.shtml

Screen test from ILM???:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OBY1nxEP3ds&search=transformers%20movie

EDIT:

Also found this, might be parts of the movie, but it has Citroen car, Boeing 747 from Returner & other stuff in it so kinda doubt it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyfk6Zo7HtM

Rocketboy
06-27-2006, 02:49 PM
Was it Snaps?Yes it was. Forgot to mention that.

I don't like it, it's very skeletal which is the opposite of what the Transformers are all about, it may work for other robot designs but Transformers is different and it seems like Bay doesn't understand that.It appears as if it's in mid-transformation. I thought it looked like a bug at first.

Looks cool either way...

http://www.blackfilm.com/20060512/fe...st_video.shtml (http://www.blackfilm.com/20060512/features/transformertest_video.shtml)REal or not, that was bad ***!

El Chuxter
06-27-2006, 02:51 PM
bay doesn't understand anything except big explosions, ben affleck and nick cage...

That Michael Bay. . . what a flornbi. :rolleyes:

JediTricks
06-27-2006, 03:27 PM
It appears as if it's in mid-transformation. I thought it looked like a bug at first.It's not though, this is Bumblebee's bot mode tied down on a rail car in the movie, I don't think it even moves at all, and it's supposedly the *only* robot prop piece for the film.

Rocketboy
06-27-2006, 03:30 PM
The pic has been taken down.

JediTricks
06-27-2006, 03:39 PM
Not for a Sith.

;)

Rocketboy
06-27-2006, 03:42 PM
Oh, I didn't say it wasn't anywhere online.
:D

Tycho
06-27-2006, 04:00 PM
Transformers are real!

darko666
06-27-2006, 06:15 PM

Looks cool either way...

that was a project an animator/compositor did for fun. unfortuantely it has nothing to do with the movie. Bay and the rest of the hacks working on this movie will probably ruin what us Transformers fans have grown up with.
for god sakes, Soundwave is a mp3 player(last i heard). thats just wrong.

Val Da Car
06-28-2006, 10:19 PM
The pic has been taken down.

Dang, missed it!

JediTricks
06-29-2006, 03:44 PM
Found this on another site, not much to see really. (attached)

Supposedly the trailer was on YouTube today but got pulled already.

Rocketboy
06-29-2006, 05:05 PM
Not much in it, but the teaser is up on the official site.
http://www.transformersmovie.com/

JediTricks
06-29-2006, 05:10 PM
Site is not doing anything, they're getting hit by too many people and the flash object running it can't load or something.

Someone on AICN talkback pointed out that the pic of Bumblebee we saw looks almost exactly like a Bionicle, and he's right!

EDIT: 3:47p, finally got it to load, what a let-down! At most that's a full 2 seconds'-worth of shadowy robot, and he looks VERY MUCH like a Bionicle there too.

darko666
06-30-2006, 02:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFsjxPkw0Qk

this youtube link works.

nothing to special about the Anouncement Trailer(not Teaser).

El Chuxter
06-30-2006, 04:38 PM
Um, why is Michael Bay's name so incredibly honkin' huge in that trailer?

And what were (presumably) Decepticons doing on Mars?

Tycho
06-30-2006, 04:38 PM
That was so cool though! It sets the tone for how dark and realistic this movie is going to be. Optimus Prime is so much my favorite robotic hero, too. He's going to rock on 07/04/07!

Megatron is totally dust! Bring it, Decepti-creeps!

I am so amped about this movie!

Looking for energon cubes like they always are. Starscream probably got them lost, haha.

Prime is going to kick their *** so bad! Dang I can't wait!

darthvyn
07-01-2006, 12:56 PM
Um, why is Michael Bay's name so incredibly honkin' huge in that trailer?

'cuz he's a baggadouche

giant robot dance party.

Kidhuman
07-01-2006, 01:21 PM
damn they removed it to copyright BS.

darthvyn
07-01-2006, 01:26 PM
yeah, but the main site is under less load now, i was able to see it there... and "meh..."

Kidhuman
07-01-2006, 02:20 PM
I got it to load now and meh.

Tycho
07-12-2006, 05:25 AM
Attached is a supposed picture (strongly supported rumor still) that this is Optimus Prime.

Aint It Cool News has reported that he's still a red truck. What do you think?

Oh, and BumbleBee has been reported to be a yellow Camaro.

JimJamBonds
07-12-2006, 07:55 AM
I saw that trailer on Sat... looks kinda crappy to me. And by "kinda" I mean it 'DOES' look crappy.

JediTricks
07-12-2006, 02:54 PM
I saw that trailer on Sat... looks kinda crappy to me. And by "kinda" I mean it 'DOES' look crappy.
Agreed! Wrong kind of truck and silly flame paintjob.

Tycho
07-12-2006, 02:58 PM

Agreed. Modern trucks that look just like traditional Prime are still in use all the time. I don't think they need to mess with his design and give the truck cab "a nose." He's supposed to be flat-fronted and red - that's it.

Prime's the star of the whole show and an Iconic image. We're all glad they didn't change Darth Vader for E3 (they could have).

scruffziller
07-12-2006, 03:20 PM

Looks cool either way...

DANG!!!! That was too kewl. CGI has made leaps and bounds. It looked really friggin' real.

JediTricks
07-12-2006, 05:22 PM
Tycho, the truck in that photo is hardly a new design either, in fact it's the same design used for Laser Optimus Prime from G2.

Tycho
07-12-2006, 05:32 PM
Tycho, the truck in that photo is hardly a new design either, in fact it's the same design used for Laser Optimus Prime from G2.

Then Michael Bay needs to put his toys away and re-watch the G1 cartoon as well as the 80's movie.

JediTricks
07-12-2006, 05:48 PM
I bet Bay has never seen the movie or cartoons, maybe not even the toys, and doesn't care about them at all.

BTW, I just looked this up and found out about the 2 body styles we're talking about here, classic G1 Prime is a "cab-over" semi while this design is a "conventional" semi. It's "cab-over" because the cab literally is directly over the engine - sometimes it's even "cabover".

JimJamBonds
07-13-2006, 01:04 AM

Plus it looks like that Mars Rover landed in the Salt Flats. :p

BTW, I just looked this up and found out about the 2 body styles we're talking about here, classic G1 Prime is a "cab-over" semi while this design is a "conventional" semi. It's "cab-over" because the cab literally is directly over the engine - sometimes it's even "cabover".

Am I the only one who now has the song "Convoy" running through his head?

"Cabover Pete with a reefer on and a Jimmy haulin' hogs."

JediTricks
07-13-2006, 02:21 PM
Heh heh, yeah, I noticed that the Mars Rover in the trailer landed in an environment a lot more like Utah than what we've seen of Mars. :p

"Convoy", they should have a really super-country version of that song playing when we first see Optimus Prime's vehicle mode.

Tycho
07-13-2006, 03:58 PM
If the Transformers battle takes place in Utah, we should have a scene with some missionaries trying to convert Megatron! Oh I'd love to see the results of that one! Haha.

General_Grievous
07-14-2006, 10:49 PM
There's an article on this in the latest Toyfare. One thing I saw in the article is that Soundwave transforms into a boombox and sneaks onto Air Force One. Yeah, this movie won't suck. :rolleyes: I guess I'll still see it anyway, as much as I regret giving Michael Bay my money.

Tycho
07-14-2006, 11:50 PM
I hear there will be no "size changes" in the movie to keep it highly realistic.

As such, Boombox Soundwave will transform into a robot only 2-3ft tall.

I doubt he'll play cassette tapes (well maybe), but he'll definitely take CDs. Maybe he'll have some Chinese stars that are CD's. They all play the David Bowie song "Uh-Oh-oh-Oooo, Little China Girl."

JediTricks
07-15-2006, 03:13 AM
I love their excuse for why Bay is using that long-nose conventional truck, "it's bigger", dumbass Bay with his screwed up priorities, plus where exactly is that size gonna come from? If they do anything like G2 Laser Prime they won't use the nose for anything good anyway, just oversized kibble. I was talking about this tonight and it dawned on me that with only 1 company making cabovers right now while lots make conventionals, I bet this had nothing to do with size at all, that one of those other companies paid to have their product be Optimus in the movie - that's the way Bay always works.

Tycho
07-15-2006, 09:38 AM
Well that sucks!

figrin bran
07-16-2006, 01:06 AM
I hear there will be no "size changes" in the movie to keep it highly realistic.

As such, Boombox Soundwave will transform into a robot only 2-3ft tall.

I doubt he'll play cassette tapes (well maybe), but he'll definitely take CDs. Maybe he'll have some Chinese stars that are CD's. They all play the David Bowie song "Uh-Oh-oh-Oooo, Little China Girl."

you got it all wrong! soundwave is going to be an MP3 player! unless apple paid enough to make him an ipod :p

laserbeak, buzzsaw, ravage, rumble, etc. will all be flash drives

mabudonicus
07-16-2006, 07:03 AM
First thing in me head was that song from Team America "I miss you more than Michael Bay missed the point"

JT, you are most certainly corect, simply has to be something to do with licensing/tie-ins. and the look of the thing ain't that bad, the fire looks ridiculous and would basically ruin the "disguise", but as long as he transofroms a LOT then it might be alright.... and who knows, if someone is thinkin hard enough, would it be too much to hope that maybe we get a "correct" version of Prime after some kind of phony "death scene"?? THAT would be cooooooooool :beard:

and if that's the only problem we'll be lucky :D

Phantom-like Menace
07-16-2006, 08:11 AM
I never forgave Bay for Pearl Harbor. Here was a movie written by the same guy who wrote Braveheart, one of my favorite movie, about WWII, one of my favorite subjects, specifically dealing with the Atlantic theater, my favorite part of WWII and Bay turned it into a minor FAA disaster and then went and cast Alec Baldwin as Doolittle. I've been scared he's going to ruin Transformers for a while. Transformers, Star Wars, and G.I. Joe were my soul's sustenance when I was young. Lucas already slapped my memories of Star Wars around. Transformers is hurtling toward doing the same. G.I. Joe could be done so horribly wrong as to be immediately terrifying.

darthvyn
07-22-2006, 11:31 AM
Cullen is Prime (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=15596)

thank god.

Cullen is the Voice of Optimus Prime
Source: Superhero Hype!
July 21, 2006

The original voice of Transformers' Optimus Prime, Peter Cullen, will also voice the character in Paramount's anticipated big screen adaptation. Cullen made the announcement over the phone during the studio's presentation at the San Diego Comic-Con today.

Tycho
07-22-2006, 11:38 AM
That is great news. I did not attend that event due to a conflict on the schedule and it being indeterminate if there was going to be much shown on Transformers. But I'm so glad to hear this: that "the real Optimus Prime please stood up!"

"Autobots: transform and attack!"

Megatron is finished now!

Bossk77
07-22-2006, 12:46 PM

Looks cool either way...

Screen test from ILM???:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OBY1nxEP3ds&search=transformers%20movie

EDIT:

Also found this, might be parts of the movie, but it has Citroen car, Boeing 747 from Returner & other stuff in it so kinda doubt it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyfk6Zo7HtM

The white and blue wanna be prime transforming video has been out for over a year. Unfortunatly it has nothing to do with the movie. If i remember correctly we discussed it on this thread quite a while a go and we found out that some guy in Florida created it independantly. Correct me if i am wrong.

NOT SO FAST PRIME!!!! Read below and prepare for one fantastic movie.

I am impressed that they have signed the original voice of prime for the movie and very well may sign the original voice of Megatron Frank Welker to play Megs in the new movie. Check out http://www.tfw2005.com/frank-welker-auditions-for-live-action-transformers-movie.htm for details.

General_Grievous
07-22-2006, 01:38 PM
Huh. And I half expected them to cast Chris Rock as Prime. On a related note, "Clerks II" has some hilarious TF references.

darko666
07-22-2006, 02:11 PM
you got it all wrong! soundwave is going to be an MP3 player! unless apple paid enough to make him an ipod :p

laserbeak, buzzsaw, ravage, rumble, etc. will all be flash drives

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=main/7/20001141981.jpg&s=f10

El Chuxter
07-23-2006, 11:57 PM
You have no idea how excited the geeks in the audience at that panel (which was mainly for the film version of Neil Gaiman's Stardust, which looks quite good, BTW) became when Bay gave the announcement that the newest cast member would be familiar to us, and then a cell phone was brought out to broadcast Cullen's voice.

Phantom-like Menace
07-24-2006, 04:25 AM
You have no idea how excited the geeks in the audience at that panel (which was mainly for the film version of Neil Gaiman's Stardust, which looks quite good, BTW) became when Bay gave the announcement that the newest cast member would be familiar to us, and then a cell phone was brought out to broadcast Cullen's voice.

I like to think that I do. I've gone on record saying I am probably going to revert completely and permanently to a child when I hear that voice say to transform and roll out.

darko666
07-27-2006, 06:43 PM
all we need now is Frank Welker to be Megatron.

The 'Xir
07-31-2006, 11:47 PM
Well, I haven't been to SSG in awhile, and its great to see that the banter is as freash as ever! :cross-eye Seeing as how Lucas has destroyed my entire childhood, I'm hoping for atleast above average from Murphy/Bay and company. This unfortunately took a nose dive, now that it's pretty much fact that Soundwave isn't going to be in the movie! Rumors by us Soundwave fanboys, still have us holding onto the hope of a cameo, but don't break out those soundwave underoos out of your mothers attic anytime soon!
All, and all I'm not tooo upset about the whole long nose Prime altmode, seeing how some rumors have it that when he transforms, the cab will come forward as his engine block disappears into his chest, so his grill becomes flush with the cab, inturn preserving the traditional robot look of prime, yes faceplate included!

As far as Welker is concerned, he's interested, especially now that Cullen is onboard, but I guess to this day he still has a very busy schedule, and it's just a matter of finding time, and ironing out the details**cough** **cough**:greedy:

for upto date info go too: http://www.d13satellite.com/donmurphy/forumdisplay.php?forumid=8

Tycho
07-31-2006, 11:53 PM
That's ashame (if true) about the long-nose Prime truck form. I still hope that was either a fake picture or that of MotorMaster or another Transformer truck. The teaser vehicle at Comic Con 2005 was a cab-over design. I hope that wasn't just for a teaser.

The 'Xir
08-01-2006, 12:45 AM
I'm with ya brother! I hope it's Motormaster aswell, and I have an inkling that it very well maybe, but as you can imagine I've learned not to get my hopes up.

I have fantasies, after the human element intro to the movie, of this long nose truck being the first transformer we see, barrelling down an open desert road, reaching an undisclosed location, gaining access to a secret cave, transforming in a dark and shadowy environment. (Back to us) He punches a couple of keys, and over a secured link he reports in a hushed but determined tone, "All units have reported in and are secure, we are now ready to begin the final phase of operation. And without an answer he assumes, "I will prepare for your arrival...Lord Megatron?!"

he he hee, can't wait!

JediTricks
08-01-2006, 03:35 PM
That's ashame (if true) about the long-nose Prime truck form. I still hope that was either a fake picture or that of MotorMaster or another Transformer truck. The teaser vehicle at Comic Con 2005 was a cab-over design. I hope that wasn't just for a teaser.The teaser a year ago wasn't really for this movie, Bay has confirmed that Optimus Prime will be that long-nose Peterbilt conventional.

All, and all I'm not tooo upset about the whole long nose Prime altmode, seeing how some rumors have it that when he transforms, the cab will come forward as his engine block disappears into his chest, so his grill becomes flush with the cab, inturn preserving the traditional robot look of prime, yes faceplate included!Sounds like wishful thinking to me, especially since Bay says he wants these things to transform "realistically".

And what they're doing to poor Soundwave in this film with rumors of a helicopter, an MP3 player turning into a tiny little robot, or just not being there at all, are a real shame.

The 'Xir
08-01-2006, 09:45 PM
Sounds like wishful thinking to me, especially since Bay says he wants these things to transform "realistically".

Transform "REAL"istcally? What does that mean?! Even though its a live action film, it's still science fiction. They can transform anyway they want. Now, I'm assuming you mean that, Bay wants them to transform so vital parts dont become disjointed, but still, ya gotta have a little suspension of disbelief.

Tycho
08-02-2006, 02:21 AM
Bay means there won't be size changes - such as a walkman becoming a robot the same size as Starscream or Megatron as in the old cartoon days. Perhaps only with a built-in Star Trek transporter thing in them, could such a size change realistically occur. The reverse would make it "Honey I Shrunk The Decepticons."

I'm all for keeping it real though. But then Scorponok begs the suspension of disbelief all over again!

A robot scorpion would be 5 inches at its largest, and if it transormed, the robot would be less than a foot tall most likely.

Rumors I've heard is that Scorponok impales US soldiers and is a behemoth! It might be cool to see visually, but realistically, why would Scorponok even be a Transformer then? I thought the whole point of them transforming into earth vehicles was to hide their presence on this planet?

If any G1 history is preserved, they are rebuilt by the Ark's computers to allow them to covertly move about modern earth. I for one hope that Michael Bay will provide us with a reason BumbleBee looks like a Camarro instead of some futuristic Cybertronian vehicle model. "The Ark Story" worked very well for G1's cartoons. I see no reason to re-write it unless the Transformers consciously decide to make the modifications themselves. I'm sure Wheeljack and Ratchet could do it. The Decepticons would need to rely on the Constructicons most likley - possibly Starscream could do it.

But there will be no drastic size changes - and I and Michael Bay share agreement on that one. He's almost as smart as I am. But I would have left Prime alone and kept his cab-over form.

JediTricks
08-02-2006, 04:03 PM
Transform "REAL"istcally? What does that mean?! Even though its a live action film, it's still science fiction. They can transform anyway they want. Now, I'm assuming you mean that, Bay wants them to transform so vital parts dont become disjointed, but still, ya gotta have a little suspension of disbelief.Bay means no size-changes, no shape-shifting, no parts that magically come out of areas that would not possibly contain them, everything has to fit realistically under the skin of the alt mode, which is part of why the photo we've seen of Bumblebee looks more like a Bionicle than a Transformer.

Tycho
08-02-2006, 09:42 PM
But BumbleBee's body can contain all his robot parts in his vehicle form. Other than the Camarro / Volkswagon discrepancy (due to VW), he doesn't need to look like a Bioncle!

El Chuxter
08-02-2006, 11:13 PM
The real question: why did IDW leave him as a punchbuggy, and keep him essentially the same, but radically change his transformation and robot mode?

figrin bran
08-03-2006, 12:20 AM
And what they're doing to poor Soundwave in this film with rumors of a helicopter, an MP3 player turning into a tiny little robot, or just not being there at all, are a real shame.

i thought that mp3 ipod soundwave was just a joke i posted a few pages back!!! :(

JediTricks
08-03-2006, 01:52 PM
But BumbleBee's body can contain all his robot parts in his vehicle form. Other than the Camarro / Volkswagon discrepancy (due to VW), he doesn't need to look like a Bioncle!Can you spell any car brand name right? ;) "Volkswagen" and "Camaro". Anyway, the point Bay is making with his Bionicle look is that they need shove all the robot parts under the vehicle panels in a way that would work for him, so a lot of it is tubular framework a la Bionicle, and the center chest is a block with simple angled rotating shoulders (another Bionicle theme). Finish that off with Bay determined to use armor panels rather than blocky robot elements, and you have Bionicle-style armor even on the head.

Figgy, it may be a joke, but the rumor has been flying around for longer than that. :(

Tycho
08-03-2006, 01:59 PM
Hmmm. I may not like the look of the robots in this film at all then. Grrrrr.

I want a G1 look!!! Dang it!!!

Hey JT: Does Pontieck make the Carmello, or does Shevy? :D

Rogue II
08-03-2006, 03:19 PM
Figgy, it may be a joke, but the rumor has been flying around for longer than that. :(

So it's probably safe to say that Laserbeak, Rumble, and Ravage won't be audio cassettes. But, they could be flash drives.

JediTricks
08-03-2006, 03:26 PM
Hmmm. I may not like the look of the robots in this film at all then. Grrrrr.

I want a G1 look!!! Dang it!!!I'm not a G1 purist, but I know what you mean, that aesthetic is far superior to what we're seeing so far (which is admittedly not much).

Hey JT: Does Pontieck make the Carmello, or does Shevy? :DChevy Chase. Pontiac Michigan made the Birdfire.

So it's probably safe to say that Laserbeak, Rumble, and Ravage won't be audio cassettes. But, they could be flash drives.I can almost guarantee you that none of them will be in the film, not with just 5 TFs from each faction. :ermm:

Droid
08-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Can you spell any car brand name right? ;) "Volkswagen" and "Camaro". Anyway, the point Bay is making with his Bionicle look is that they need shove all the robot parts under the vehicle panels in a way that would work for him, so a lot of it is tubular framework a la Bionicle, and the center chest is a block with simple angled rotating shoulders (another Bionicle theme). Finish that off with Bay determined to use armor panels rather than blocky robot elements, and you have Bionicle-style armor even on the head.

I have a big problem with this guy knocking himself out deciding that a TRANSFORMERS movie must be realistic. When his quest for realism reaches the point where he must change what Transformers are or look like, or what people loved about Transformers in order to make it realistic then he is losing his mind.

Hmm, I don't think it makes sense that no one figures out Clark Kent is Superman. So I'll just have them be two different people, or I'll just not have a Clark Kent. Maybe I won't have Superman in the movie and just make a movie about Clark Kent the human reporter. That is more realistic.

Santa Claus doesn't make sense. But if I was making a movie about Santa Claus I wouldn't have him just deliver toys to the twenty houses he could get to in a night's time.

You may think that Spider-Man's costume is stupid, but if you're making a movie about him you better stick with the costume, because THAT's what makes it Spider-Man.

If I made a Gilligan's island movie I wouldn't have them starving to death and eat Gilligan because everything was always his fault anyway just because that might be what really would have happened.

You kind of just have to accept the core mythos of something and then move forward. I predict people who don't care about Transformers won't like this movie more because it is "realistic". People who love Transformers will hate it because it isn't what Transformers is for them. I for one won't see it if they don't look like the Transformers and there are probably a lot of people like me.

I say give me Starscream (doesn't have to look like the most modern jet there is), Megatron, Soundwave (the tape recorder that gets large when transforming; I'd just have some human make a joke that no one uses tape recorders anymore, maybe he looks that way because the Transformers had bad intelligence as to what most humans really use), Shockwave, Rumble, Ravage, and Lazerbeak (all tapes), Prime, Ratchet, Wheeljack, Ironsides, Bumblebee, and all the rest of the G1 gang and stop thinking so hard. Take the first few episodes of the TV show and make a live action movie. Honestly. :rolleyes:

Tycho
08-03-2006, 03:34 PM
5?! Michael Bay has to be kidding!

This is sounding less and less like it's going to work.

Autobots?

Optimus Prime
BumbleBee

Ironhide?
Ratchet?
Hound?
Jazz?
That's 6 already, and these characters all seem essential...

Decepticons?

Megatron
Starscream
Scorponok (Why???)

Skywarp?
Thundercracker?
Soundwave?
Various Constructicons? (Devastator should not be a non-combiner)
MotorMaster or Onslaught? (rumor of a Decepticon truck)
Vortex? (a Decepticon helicopter?)

Whatever. Is this going to be Transformers or a remake of Godzilla?

Tycho
08-03-2006, 03:48 PM
I have a big problem with this guy knocking himself out deciding that a TRANSFORMERS movie must be realistic.

Droid I agree with a lot of what you said, however, the movie can be made realistic, yet still stick with much of what G1 had laid down already.

Instead, Michael Bay seems to want to make a robot invasion movie (Terminators From Space, I guess?) and usurp the Transformers' name and the names of their principal characters (Optimus Prime and what not), and do his own thing. Personally, I'm not aware that he's the writer or producer, just the director.

I'm sure production costs have something to do with this: how many complete Transformers can we afford to computer-model for this picture?

That may have affected the writing - which may or may not have anything to do with an Ark spaceship or the factions' leadership leaving Cybertron in search of energy sources. I understand why Prime left, but always wondered why Megatron personally left to follow him. I guess it always made sense.

What makes a lot more sense is if this was just a live-action remake of the 1984 cartoon. That's all we wanted to see - plus it's a great story and mainstream audiences have never seen it. Fan boys have never seen it done realistically. What Soundwave turns into or how tall he is will have little bearing on a remake of the 80's 'toon. Bay can take his liberties with that.

But the more I'm hearing the more I am cringing, thinking the film I've most looked forward to for 2007 is going to suck more than anything's ever sucked before.

Move over Miami Vice, Dukes of Hazzard, etc. We have a new champion for the Raspberry Award!

Here to accept it on behalf of Michael Bay who's hiding so he won't get stoned, is Optimus Prune.

Rogue II
08-03-2006, 03:50 PM
Obvioulsy this won't be in the movie if there are only 5 or 6 per side, but what if they made Shockwave the Decepticon semi-truck? If he had a trailer, he could launch Rumble, Ravage, and Lazerbeak if they were cars or motorcycles.

DarthBrandon
08-03-2006, 04:13 PM
Move over Miami Vice, Dukes of Hazzard, etc. We have a new champion for the Raspberry Award!

Here to accept it on behalf of Michael Bay who's hiding so he won't get stoned, is Optimus Prune.

I never wasted my money on the first two mentioned, nor will I do it with this travesty.

Tycho
08-03-2006, 04:39 PM
Obvioulsy this won't be in the movie if there are only 5 or 6 per side, but what if they made Shockwave the Decepticon semi-truck? If he had a trailer, he could launch Rumble, Ravage, and Lazerbeak if they were cars or motorcycles.

Why not just make the Decepticon Semi-Truck MotorMaster and have him launch Wildrider, Drag Strip, Dead End, and BrakeDown from his trailer (or at least 2 of them?) That would be keeping in consistancy with G1.

Rogue II
08-03-2006, 04:59 PM
Why not just make the Decepticon Semi-Truck MotorMaster and have him launch Wildrider, Drag Strip, Dead End, and BrakeDown from his trailer (or at least 2 of them?) That would be keeping in consistancy with G1.

Mostly because I forgot there was a Decepticon Semi-Truck that did such that in G1.:D Motormaster must have came out around the time I losing interest in Transformers.

Anyway, I was trying to come up with an idea how Soundwave could be made into a vehicle and still carry Rumble, Ravage, and Lazerbeak. A car carrier seemed like the easiest choice. My second choice would have been a pick-up that carried motorcycles or ATVs, but that wouldn't work because they would need a driver in vehicle mode and would probably be lousy in robot mode.

Droid
08-03-2006, 05:52 PM
Call me a purist, but Decepticons should never have been land vehicles. I liked the Autobots roll, Decepticons fly thing.

Just leave Soundwave ALONE. He is a tape recorder. Just make him a tape recorder. Like I said, bad intelligence on what humans still use as recording devices.

Anyone afraid if there are only five on each side one of the Autobots will be Grimlock?

Tycho
08-03-2006, 06:18 PM
Grimlock would work if the Autobots made their earth base inside Universal Studios, and Grimlock transformed into an animatronic display dinosaur. That would make sense.

The sign on the ride said "Jurassic Park," but Prime misread it and thought it said Jurassic Parking Lot.

El Chuxter
08-03-2006, 07:10 PM
What's the problem with five? I'd like a cast of thousands, but in a two-hour movie, five main characters per side makes sense from a characterization standpoint. It's tough to really flesh out more in a monthly comic or weekly cartoon, much less a stand-alone film.

Anyone afraid if there are only five on each side one of the Autobots will be Grimlock?

Why would that involve fear? I would be dancing in the streets. Grimlock is the shizzy. The team needs a bad-arse who skirts the line between right and wrong, and refuses to have his malfunctioning vocabulator fixed because he likes the fact that it makes people think he's stupid.

Tycho
08-03-2006, 07:28 PM
The team needs a bad-arse who skirts the line between right and wrong, and refuses to have his malfunctioning vocabulator fixed because he likes the fact that it makes people think he's stupid.

I thought you didn't like Bush, Chuxter?

What's the problem with five? I'd like a cast of thousands, but in a two-hour movie, five main characters per side makes sense from a characterization standpoint. It's tough to really flesh out more in a monthly comic or weekly cartoon, much less a stand-alone film.

They could have cannon-fodder that way. No G1 fan would cry if Thrust, Dirge, Ramjet, or on the Autobot side, Camshaft, Huffer, Cliffjumper, etc. went off the deep end. But we all know that Megatron or Optimus Prime aren't supposed to die, unless a sequel with Galvatron and Rodimus Prime (please no!) is going to be planned.

My thoughts for this one is that it will either flop really bad, or it will do very well. It's going to be one of those either-ors. As such, it should be set up as a stand-alone film. If it is good enough and warrants a sequel franchise, they can always do the Megatron-Galvatron / Prime-Rodimus thing later on (though it's hardly necesary as the original G1s have staying power).

But in war, the idea is to kill your enemy. What's the point if 5 go against 5 and no one is permanently "offed." Furthermore - why are they evenly matched? There could be a logical reason for it in the plot, but there should be or one side should outnumber the other just to make it as realistic as Michael Bay wants it to be.

El Chuxter
08-03-2006, 08:02 PM
I thought you didn't like Bush, Chuxter?

They could have cannon-fodder that way. No G1 fan would cry if Thrust, Dirge, Ramjet, or on the Autobot side, Camshaft, Huffer, Cliffjumper, etc. went off the deep end. But we all know that Megatron or Optimus Prime aren't supposed to die, unless a sequel with Galvatron and Rodimus Prime (please no!) is going to be planned.

First, last I checked, Bush didn't transform into a cool dinosaur (or Mustang or Cybertronian tank, depending on your interpretation). Oh, and there's the whole "good and evil" thing. ;)

Second, I would be urinated if Ramjet or Cliffjumper bought it. They're two of my faves.

Tycho
08-03-2006, 08:23 PM
Bush is trying to transform into a weapon of mass destruction!

Second: You like Ramjet and Cliffjumper? They were idiot characters (since we're speaking about idiot characters in this thread anyway).

Dude: when Ironhide bought it in the cartoon movie, I shouted "Noooo!" like Darth Vader - hmmm - or Luke Skywalker as a matter of fact.

Cool characters that have not been brought up yet are Springer, Cyclonus, Hot Rod, Kup, etc.

Ramjet and Cliffjumper are only baby steps above Twin Spin and the Terrorcons as characters.

El Chuxter
08-03-2006, 08:51 PM
Springer is not a cool character. He's a Douchobot.

Tycho
08-03-2006, 09:05 PM
Don't make me flame you, Chuxter! Springer is like the Han Solo of Autobots!

He was so cool in the cartoon movie! Plus he's a triple-changer. Say that about Cliffjumper!

Don't diss on Springer dude or this is going to turn nasty!

Droid
08-04-2006, 07:45 AM
No character introduced in or after Transformers: the Movie should ever be in a Transformers live action movie, or frankly ever mentioned or thought about again.

El Chuxter
08-04-2006, 07:47 AM
Don't make me flame you, Chuxter! Springer is like the Han Solo of Autobots!

I believe you mixed him up with Jazz, Tycho. Jazz is the Han Solo of the Autobots. Springer is the Captain Panaka, and that's on a good day. Normally, he's just Tarpals.

Tycho
08-04-2006, 08:26 AM
Jazz's accent always made me think that he's more like the Lando Calrissian of the Autobots. But that wouldn't make a good comparison. I'm looking for a more softer version of Mr. T to describe Jazz (adding intelligence and articulation to his dialogue that Mr. T usually doesn't have).

JediTricks
08-04-2006, 03:06 PM
Tycho, you're gonna love this, Ratchet... now a firetruck. Why? I don't know.

That's 6 already, and these characters all seem essential...Well, they probably won't be much like their G1 counterparts, so I doubt anybody except Optimus, Megatron, and Starscream will be "essential".

Whatever. Is this going to be Transformers or a remake of Godzilla?You know I hate to give you props ;), but that was f***ing awesome! :D

Instead, Michael Bay seems to want to make a robot invasion movie (Terminators From Space, I guess?) and usurp the Transformers' name and the names of their principal characters (Optimus Prime and what not), and do his own thing. Personally, I'm not aware that he's the writer or producer, just the director.He is the exec producer and also shaping how the script rewrites play out. He said that he's doing this movie not because he was ever into Transformers, but because he wanted to get in on a family film franchise.

Obvioulsy this won't be in the movie if there are only 5 or 6 per side, but what if they made Shockwave the Decepticon semi-truck? If he had a trailer, he could launch Rumble, Ravage, and Lazerbeak if they were cars or motorcycles.You mean "Soundwave", and it's a sorta-interesting idea, but I hate seeing all the Decepticons be more street vehicles, and Soundwave would be basically "Evil Optimus" at that point, not very cool.

Why not just make the Decepticon Semi-Truck MotorMaster and have him launch Wildrider, Drag Strip, Dead End, and BrakeDown from his trailer (or at least 2 of them?) That would be keeping in consistancy with G1.At least Motormaster was INTENDED to be the "Evil Optimus" character, but that's 5 'Cons right there, so no Megatron or Starscream for us. Plus, I can't see Bay doing a combiner in this film, it'd be too big to show a bunch of humans running in slow motion from CGI explosions at crazy camera angles.

My second choice would have been a pick-up that carried motorcycles or ATVs, but that wouldn't work because they would need a driver in vehicle mode and would probably be lousy in robot mode.In G1 and other instances, they had holographic drivers, but here I suspect they want real humans to be behind the wheels. I'm still hating more vehicle 'Cons, but at least this idea is something a little different. Obviously motorcycles would be easier since they take up less space.

What's the problem with five? I'd like a cast of thousands, but in a two-hour movie, five main characters per side makes sense from a characterization standpoint. It's tough to really flesh out more in a monthly comic or weekly cartoon, much less a stand-alone film.AHAHAHAHA! That's cute, you think they're going to flesh out characterizations for the Transformers, rather than have them be walking plot points that occasionally spew dialogue while the human stars of the film do all the storytelling. What kind of a supreme leader is Megatron if he has only 4 underlings, and why would Starscream want to usurp that leadership if all he gets is 3 underlings and a dead boss? Why would Optimus Prime, leader of the Autobots, leave his people in search of the Matrix with a team of 5 when it's such an important job and the Decepticons are hot on their tails? Who will take on all of Prime's important tasks when more than one thing has to be done? How are we to believe that these soldiers are really in danger of losing their lives when 1 loss can cripple the team?

Why would that involve fear? I would be dancing in the streets. Grimlock is the shizzy. The team needs a bad-arse who skirts the line between right and wrong, and refuses to have his malfunctioning vocabulator fixed because he likes the fact that it makes people think he's stupid.Yes, nothing says "robots in disguise" like a giant mechanical T-rex roaming the streets, and nothing's cooler than the king of the Dinobots having no troops to lead.

My thoughts for this one is that it will either flop really bad, or it will do very well. It's going to be one of those either-ors. As such, it should be set up as a stand-alone film. If it is good enough and warrants a sequel franchise, they can always do the Megatron-Galvatron / Prime-Rodimus thing later on (though it's hardly necesary as the original G1s have staying power).Don't fool yourself, no matter how awful it is it's still Transformers, it's still a big budget film, it still has Spielberg's name as exec producer, it will sell a lot of tickets the first few weeks. Even the bloated budget of GINO (Godzilla in name only) made its money back domestically at the box office after a few months - $136mil with a $130mil budget.

And BTW, Bay only wanted to do this film because of the franchise aspect.

For your information, Jazz was the Scatman Crothers of the Autobots. :p

The 'Xir
08-05-2006, 02:04 PM
This is the lineup of characters for the movie, 1 or 2(designated with a *) are still rumored which side they are on or if they will even appear, or type of Alt mode, but this list will go with the current line of thinking:

Decepticons:

Megatron - F117 Nighthawk Stealth Fighter Wing OR CV-22 Osprey Helicopter(*)
Starscream - F22-Raptor Attack Fighter
Scorponock - AC-130 Gunship OR C-130 Hercules
Brawn/Brawl(*) - '08 Dodge Rampage OR Army's Stryker AV-BCT OR A10-Thunderbolt
Vortex - MH-53 Pave Low Helicopter
Devastator - M1A2 Abrams MBT

Autobots:
Optimus Prime - 18wheeler ?flat/long nose?
Bumblebee - '07 Camaro Concept
Prowl/Brawl(*) - '08 Ford Mustang Police Car OR '08 Dodge Rampage
Jazz - Mazda '09 Kabura Concept(*)
Ratchet - EVI Freightliner Medium Duty Rescue
Ironhide - E1 Titan HPR G-series ARFF(*)

Tycho
08-05-2006, 02:15 PM
OK - I got some "sort of" confirmed low down on the characters.

It appears as though there will be

5 Autobots
8 Decepticons

Again, take this with a grain of salt.

Anyway, here's the characters that this rumor reported:

AUTOBOTS:

Optimus Prime - extended nose truck
Ironhide - black pickup
Jazz - a sportscar, probably white
BumbleBee - a yellow Camarro
Ratchet - an ambulance - but JT says a FireTruck, so we'll see

DECEPTICONS:

Megatron - an Abrams Tank
Starscream - a black raptor fighter jet
Soundwave - a portable boom box, turning into a robot only about 1 foot tall
Scorponok - a giant robotic scorpion :rolleyes:
Devastator - not the combiner, but the steam shovel we knew in G1 as Scrapper
BoneCrusher - a mine-sweeping military industry vehicle instead of a bulldozer
Brawl - a Mustang highway patrol car (someone can't see Prowl and Brawl are spelled diff.)
Vortex - the Combaticon's helicopter, though no combiner is planned

These are the names they are supposedly working with temporarily. The cast looks pretty good for the most part if these rumors are true though. I would have liked Starscream to have some wingmen though - and Wheeljack, Hound, or Mirage could've added to the Autobots' pantheon.

Also Peter Cullins (the original from the cartoon) is cast as Optimus Prime.

They are auditioning the original voice of Megatron.

The guy who played Starscream is passed-on, unfortunately.

I'd love it if BumbleBee, Jazz, and Ironhide spoke with their original voices, too - not to mention Soundwave!

mabudonicus
08-05-2006, 03:12 PM
Jazz's (I'm certain that's wrong how I did that) voice passed away I think, so it might not happen but there's plenty of voice talent out there, they could get a good facsimile I think :beard:

The 'Xir
08-05-2006, 11:20 PM
I don't know if he has done any movies or not, I do know he's done some television shows and commercials though, and because of that I have always said that Dr. John the "Jazz" artist/pianist would be the perfect voice for the new 2007 Jazz, and that he'd perfectly slip into Scatman Crothers shoes with ease...and style of course.:thumbsup:

El Chuxter
08-06-2006, 08:47 AM
Dr John is blues, not Jazz. :mad: But if they change the character's name. . . .

Not sure if I'm ready to see Jazz in a witch doctor costume, though.

The 'Xir
08-06-2006, 02:32 PM
Chuxter? Dr. John plays some blues, but he IS a Jazz artist first and foremost, and is synonymous with New Orleans style Jazz which is a fusion of Blues/Jazz/and Dixie! He along with Harry Connick Jr spearhead campaigns for music festivals to raise relief funds for victims of Hurricane Katrina. As a Matter of Fact he's appeared as a headliner here in Syracuse for our local Jazzfest twice, and once for our bluesfest. Our Jazzfest being one of the nations largest, based on per capita of people in the city!

JediTricks
08-07-2006, 06:37 PM
Neither of those lists look like anything more than a lot of speculation to me. Plus, several different recent "behind the scenes" shots show a crane attacking, the Access Hollywood footage especially, which doesn't appear on either list, it may be one of the vague Decepticon entries on Tycho's list if it's a crane arm from a different kind of vehicle, but that's a bit of a stretch.

Tycho
08-07-2006, 07:27 PM
Yeah, the crane might be Devastator (not the combiner) or Bonecrusher - and it may be the mine-clearing vehicle.

I'm not sure what a mine-clearing vehicle is supposed to look like anyway - or what it does. It sounds like a machine that deliberately detonates mines to make it safe for other ground vehicles and troops. To do that job, it must be heavily fortified. A mine-layer sounds more like a Decepticon though.

Finally, Scorponok is a wierd one. From the name, it sounds like it's a giant robotic scorpion. I thought they used that name for a Decepticon base back in G1 days, after Tripticon was made? They may have continued to use that name for other versions.

One rumor I heard is that it is a beast-machine, that is a C-130 transport plane or something, that transforms into a giant scorpion, but has no robot mode. It will be a curiousity if such a character in the film talks. Would remind me of the Insecticons actually. On that note, they should use Kickback's TV voice talent if they go that route...that route....that route.

(the last 3 words of my post were intentionally typed 3 times to immitate the echos applied to the Insecticons voices in the original cartoon...cartoon...cartoon. - I'm so funny!)

Tycho
08-09-2006, 01:34 AM
There are full color pictures of a few of the real characters from the movie on the MySpace Transformers' group site:

http://groups.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=groups.groupProfile&groupID=101114536&Mytoken=10D6A294-155D-118B-745D1438AA2FAB4B17830331

Scroll all the way down. This guy has too many pictures of already released toys and custom Alternators etc., plus Hasbro toy commercials, for both fast loading and one's ease in finding stuff on his site. However, it's worth it if you do!

This confirms Bonecrusher is a mine-sweeping vehicle.

Megatron is probably that tank.

Optimus Prime is probably that black long-nose truck with flame decales.

Ironhide is the black pickup truck.

Brawl (or someone) is definitely a Decepticon Mustang Police Car.

BumbleBee is already well-known as a yellow Camarro.

Anyway, enjoy the pictures.

Tycho
08-09-2006, 02:07 AM
From the forums there I also found live-action footage of Scorponok torture-interrogating Spike (whom Bay refers to as Shai, the actor playing Spike) in a scene that will probably have the Transformer filled in with CGI later. (So there's no telling if the Decepticon really will be Scorponok when they're done, but it would be likely - or else he'll be one of the Constructicons. I don't think the crushing blows come from a character with Starscream or Megatron's general physical characteristics, nor the rumored appearance of Brawl or Vortex. Meanwhile, Soundwave is rumored to be too small for that type of threat. So I surmise, it will be Bonecrusher, Devastator, or Scorponok.)

Next, in the same video is Spike and (girlfriend) Mikaela (actress Megan Fox) being suddenly startled and dodging out of the way as BumbleBee hauls butt into action. Ironhide, the black pickup, also appears to be in this scene. This might appear early in the movie, as the characters don't appear to have time to interact with BumbleBee as a sentient character - so I assume at this point, Spike doesn't know BumbleBee's a Transformer. (At this point, he still needs to pay Hasbro $19.99 to find out).

Anyway, I have a feeling that BumbleBee will be a rather tougher "Hot Rod" type of character in this version, than how he previously was characterized in the cartoon show. If so, perhaps the Autobots will be all warriors. That would be awesome! They're gonna smash Megatron to pieces!

Here's the video from Access Hollywood: (warning, big time spoilers)

http://video.accesshollywood.com/v/?linkId=25436

Transformers are so cool!

JediTricks
08-09-2006, 06:47 PM
Transformers are so cool!Too bad this movie isn't Transformers. :p

JediTricks
08-16-2006, 02:11 PM
Michael Bay's Transformers: Bionicle in Disguise

http://www.tformers.com/article.php?sid=6358&mode=flat

Toa Prime, transform and roll out! I really hate the skinny long head too, that mouthplate just doesn't work for me.

Tycho
08-16-2006, 07:07 PM
I can't tell much from that picture - except the flame decales seem to be sticking with him. Joy.:rolleyes:

Droid
08-18-2006, 03:29 PM
Pulled this from the web:

BREAKING: Transformers Webcast Report -- Characters Confirmed

Posted Aug 18th 2006 2:36PM by Erik Davis
Filed under: Action & Adventure, Fandom, DIY/Filmmaking, Comic/Superhero/Geek

Before I begin, I must say that I am not the biggest Transformers fan in the entire universe. However, since Mark, our resident geek, is off enjoying a splendid honeymoon, it is my job to report back any and all geek-related goodies. So, onto the webcast (which featured the film's writers, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci) :

* Webcast opens with Transformers teaser trailer.
* Here is a list of all Transformers robots being featured in next summer's blockbuster film (keep in mind, some of these we already knew about): Autobots: Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Jazz, Ratchet (Medical officer, will not be in the form of an ambulance) and Ironhide.
* Decepticons (will not all be flying machines): Megatron, Starscream, Brawl, Bonecrusher, Barracade, Scorponok, Frenzy (started out as Soundwave, till they decided to change the character. Stealth spy) and Blackout (guy who comes in and takes out all of our abilities to fight back).
* On why some characters will not come in their classic versions (ie: Bumblebee): "Clothes don't make the man." According to the writers, regardless of what these characters are wearing, you will still be able to connect with them. Basically, all vehicle transformations were made once they started testing. They wanted the live-action to look cool and believable. Unlike the cartoon, this needed to look real. Also, some of the vehicles in the 80's (ie: Camaro) aren't as cool in 2006 as they were back then.
* Not just a guy movie, there will also be women kicking ***. Sweet!
* Dynamic between Megatron and Starscream will be alive and present. They will be as you remember them.
* On why the Decepticons outnumber the Autobots: They wanted the Autobots to be at a severe disadvantage so they really have to band together and use all their strength in order to defeat the Decepticons.
* Always on the message boards. Always looking for fan input.
* Voices are a work in progress. Everyone you want to be considered is being considered.
* Setting up a lot of threads in the hopes there will be a sequel. Hopefully, some of the characters missing here will show up in future installments.
* Contest Announcement (check the film's official website for details in the coming days): Write a line for Optimus Prime and the winning line gets put in the movie. (Hmm, borrowing from Snakes on a Plane are we?)

Okay, that's pretty much it. Feel free to share your thoughts in the comment section.

Droid
08-18-2006, 03:32 PM
I can't believe they aren't using Wheeljack. Also, what made them change Soundwave into FRENZY? Soundwave was always my favorite Decepticon as a kid.

I have severe reservations about this movie.

El Chuxter
08-18-2006, 03:37 PM
Who are Barracade and Blackout? (And keep in mind that lesser-known fellas like Thunderwing and Bludgeon are among my G1 favorites.)

With Brawl, Bonecrusher, and Frenzy comprising about half the Decepticon force, it doesn't seem like they'll be a terribly smart bunch of villains. I guess Megs and Starscream will have to do all the thinking.

Tycho
08-18-2006, 04:36 PM
I can't believe they aren't using Wheeljack. Also, what made them change Soundwave into FRENZY? Soundwave was always my favorite Decepticon as a kid.

I have severe reservations about this movie.

I agree that the Autobots are lacking 3 major characters that needed to be in a story: Wheeljack, Hound, and Mirage.

Next: Frenzy was never that well developed or even seen. Rumble got all the glory there. If Frenzy is going to be the boombox, in a sequel will Soundwave be a whole outdoor concert amp system?

Who are Barracade and Blackout? New toys Hasbro will sell us. :rolleyes:

With Brawl, Bonecrusher, and Frenzy comprising about half the Decepticon force, it doesn't seem like they'll be a terribly smart bunch of villains. I guess Megs and Starscream will have to do all the thinking.

They always did.

What happened to Vortex as well? There's supposed to be a Decepticon helicopter!

I think perhaps "Stealthspy" is the helicopter? So now there are 9 Decepticons?

I'm glad they aren't using "Devastator" as anything less than a Constructicon combiner - in other words they are not using him. I'd guess that Barricade is some kind of tank or military road block vehicle or bridge layer or something.

There have been pictures on the page I linked to of Ratchet. He's some sort of rescue ranger vehicle - with emergency lights - but not a traditional ambulance. He's yellow, tan, or orange I believe.

Blackout sounds like a bad idea waiting to happen. For psychological warfare, Megatron already has a giant robotic scorpion - what more does he need? What the heck is Blackout?

Meanwhile, the Decepticons are lacking a lot:

Soundwave
Thundercracker
Skywarp
Reflector might have been cool as a movie camera or something.
Vortex should have been left in the picture as himself.
Swindle could have worked.
Instead of making Brawl the police car, they could have made it Dead End. But that's a minor point.

This movie still could kick butt. However, I think spoilers help us adapt and keep up with the changes before they distract us from enjoying the movie. (so I'm not sitting there for 2 hours wondering why Ironhide isn't a red mini-van.)

JediTricks
08-18-2006, 05:00 PM
New toys Hasbro will sell us. :rolleyes:They are not new names, Blackout and Barricade were lesser-known figures in the G1 line, Blackout was part of a combiner while Barricade was a Micromaster racecar. Both names have been used in the Energon line, in fact they were used together in that Barricade was the leader of the combiners that made up Bruticus Maximus and Blackout was one of the limbs; in Energon, Barricade was a missile truck and Blackout was a helicopter.

What happened to Vortex as well? There's supposed to be a Decepticon helicopter!

I think perhaps "Stealthspy" is the helicopter? So now there are 9 Decepticons?"Stealth/Spy" is Frenzy's role, not a character.

As for which one is the chopper, could be anybody but Starscream (jet), Frenzy (stereo?), Barricade (police car) or Bonecrusher (minesweeper-type truck thing, "closest to a Constructicon"), it could even be Megatron. However, the chopper is most likely Blackout as he was an air vehicle in the G1 line and was most recently a dark blue helicopter in the Energon line (who combined with Barricade and 3 other Decepticons to form Bruticus Maximus).

There's pretty much the same webcast details here, just fleshed out a little better: http://www.tformers.com/article.php?sid=6374&mode=flat

Honestly, the details of this movie still make my stomach turn.

Tycho
08-18-2006, 05:15 PM
Honestly, the details of this movie still make my stomach turn.

I know what you mean.

Yeah, we just got confirmation that Brawl is something else. Barricade is the Decepticon Mustang Police Car.

El Chuxter
08-18-2006, 05:20 PM
Which team was Blackout on? I don't remember him.

I know he wasn't part of Devastator, Predaking, Bruticus--wait, you're referring to those craptastic "two cheap Micromaster robots make an even cheaper vehicle" things they put out right before they dropped transformations altogether and created ActionMasters, right?

The 'Xir
08-19-2006, 04:15 PM
I'm assuming you've all seen this. but just for the fun of posting it here, here's the pic of Blackout aka:Incinerator.
However, as I said Megatron was suppossed to be either a cybertronian Jet or possibly a helicopter as well, could the "Blackout" name just be a name to throw us off? He sure looks eveil enough to be Megs, you decide...

Blackout? or Megatron?:

Tycho
08-19-2006, 04:23 PM
I didn't think about that before. That helicopter could be a cool form for Megatron to take on, yeah. I miss him having a big cannon on his arm or shoulder though.

El Chuxter
08-19-2006, 05:32 PM
The shots of the toys I've seen today shot my hopes for this movie straight to hell. Instead of a film adaptation of the story and characters we love, we're getting basically a live-action version of what Hasbro's been doing for a decade: totally revamping everything with continually decreasing quality, reusing some of the more popular names. :(

figrin bran
08-20-2006, 12:12 AM
in robot mode, blackout really does look like a bionicle.

i don't think i'll be watching the movie...

Tycho
08-20-2006, 02:38 AM
I'm going to watch it, for curiosity's sake.

I did that with Superman Returns. I'm a Smallville fan and Brandon Routh's casting over Tom Welling's (who wasn't interested it's been said), ticked me off before I saw the film.

I went in with no expectations. I came out actually liking it quite a bit, but it's by no means the best movie I've ever seen.

As for Transformers - the same thing goes. Peter Cullins is playing Optimus Prime though - and Prime is my main Transformer hero and the coolest robot I've ever been a fan of (sorry R2D2, you're close). So I'll go see Optimus brought to life on the big screen because I'm his fan. But these Bionicles are not the characters I grew up with I'm afraid.

So whereas before my expectations would have been super-high, as well as my enthusiasm for the project, now I'm not even sure if I'd line up for a midnight show. Before I was thinking I'd camp outside of the theater for this one. But now???

The 'Xir
08-20-2006, 02:10 PM
Once again I know I'm not reporting anything new that you guys probably dont already know, but just thought I'd put it here for discussion.

From the Yahoo Exclusive webcast interview with Roberto Orci, and Alex Kurtzman:

The official list of characters in the movie are as follows:

Autobots:
Optimus Prime
Bumblebee - 2008 Camaro (the underdog)
Jazz
Ratchet
Ironhide

All of the Autobots were already known. Nothing new with them.

Decepticons:
Megatron
Starscream
Brawl (an extremely ****ed off Decepticon, tank?)
Bonecrusher (closest thing to a Constructicon)
Barricade (hunter of the group, police car)
Scorponok (closest thing to Beast Wars or Dinobot)
Frenzy (originally going to be Soundwave, character developed into Frenzy)
Blackout (transporter - I'm assuming this was Vortex)

Here's some of the other pics released in case you missed them:

Droid
08-21-2006, 12:19 PM
I will probably not see this movie. The robots look ridiculous. Their push for "realism" in giant transforming robots :rolleyes: has stripped away what I like about Transformers.

Tycho
08-21-2006, 01:44 PM
How is redesigning Starscreams head to make it look more insect-like versus G1 going to make him more realistic?

Optimus Prime's robot mode doesn't even look like a Transformer. I can't tell what part of the truck is where on him. He's just a robot who "wears spare tires!"

Blackout / Megatron (?) / Incinerator - whoever the chopper is - does look really good. I'll give them that.

mabudonicus
08-22-2006, 05:43 AM
Hmmm... the only one I don't really dislike is Prime, and I can't say as I actually like him...

The H.R. Giger stylings really don't work IMO, it's like T-formers meets the Dark Knight vs Aliens vs Predator....

:beard:

JediTricks
08-22-2006, 09:13 PM
Which team was Blackout on? I don't remember him. I know he wasn't part of Devastator, Predaking, Bruticus--wait, you're referring to those craptastic "two cheap Micromaster robots make an even cheaper vehicle" things they put out right before they dropped transformations altogether and created ActionMasters, right?Yeah, that's pretty much it, I did say they were lesser-known names. :p

I'm assuming you've all seen this. but just for the fun of posting it here, here's the pic of Blackout aka:Incinerator.
However, as I said Megatron was suppossed to be either a cybertronian Jet or possibly a helicopter as well, could the "Blackout" name just be a name to throw us off? He sure looks eveil enough to be Megs, you decide...

Blackout? or Megatron?:Incinerator is the name they were originally going to use, Blackout is the name they're going with now. No way this is going to be Megatron though, and put little stock into all those rumor you've heard up till this point, a lot of them are nothing more than random speculation. At least the rumor of Megs being a tank has credibility in that there were photos of a tank prop and Megs has already been a tank before a few times, but even that slips when people suggest Brawl will be the tank.

Personally, I hate a lot of the webcast info, I hate what Bay describes about this film, I hate Don Murphy's attitude towards the fans who aren't on-board, and I especially hate the robot designs we're seeing. Prime and Blackout are a lot of rams and pipes and crazy random pieces and armor parts that are moved for no reason except to move things and pointy stuff and just everything that loses the flavor of Transformers robots. I fear that it's going to be hard to make out movement on them because of how needlessly-intricate these things are, they're not big robots they're lots of dark gray parts moving across more dark gray parts. I find it interesting that the 2 Hasbro toys we've seen prototyped so far are distancing themselves from that aspect of the designs. The only bot that doesn't look ridiculously CG is Bumblebee - because he's not CG - but he does look ridiculous, the most Bionicle of 'em all. They look like junk and the only reason I'm not more disappointed is because of all the other leaked misery coming out of this film already.

The 'Xir
08-22-2006, 10:30 PM
Incinerator is the name they were originally going to use, Blackout is the name they're going with now. No way this is going to be Megatron though, and put little stock into all those rumor you've heard up till this point, a lot of them are nothing more than random speculation.

Well atleast I was right about Soundwave not being in the movie, even if I didnt want to believe it. ;) :(

Yeah, alot of this sucks, just like Ep's II & III I'll probbaly enjoy watching them and get into it purely as its own movie, but not really treat it like real transformers! Not Unless they find some creative way of tying it all in to what has come before, but kowing Bay, I wont hold my breath!
:rolleyes:

mabudonicus
08-23-2006, 05:33 AM
Musta dropped Soundwave cos his voice was goofy/"dated", that would make sense to a fellow like Bay no doubt

Tycho
08-23-2006, 09:41 AM
Not at all. It was because Bay doesn't want any unrealistic size changes such as a 3 inch cassette deck walkman that is dated technology anyway, transforming into a 40 foot tall robot. That's just impossible.

The cartoon did it because the robot was scaled that way in toy size (compared to the other toys). However, if the cartoon had then been accurate, that walkman that was larger than a Porshe ought to have appeared suspiciously like a Decepticon, don't you think?

The size changes in the cartoon always kind of ticked me off towards Soundwave, too. I thought the concept of him, his voice, and his transforming cassettes was cool though - but they needed to explain the size change as well (microtransporter, "Honey I Shrunk the Decepticons," whatever.) They also could have included a tiny walkman prop accessory with the toy itself. I don't know. But in reviewing the cartoon history, Bay discovered that Frenzy was a small "communications device" robot, and went with that - probably because Rumble was more developed as a character and Bay needed a clean slate he could write anything he wanted for Frenzy. It makes sense.

I surmized quite a bit of this, but I read the size change bit in an interview.

JediTricks
08-23-2006, 02:49 PM
Well atleast I was right about Soundwave not being in the movie, even if I didnt want to believe it. ;) :(Soundwave *was* in the movie and they eventually changed him to Frenzy, they had intended him to be Soundwave though.

G1 is dead, this will not be directly based on G1.

Tycho
08-23-2006, 03:28 PM
G1 is dead, this will not be directly based on G1.

That sucks, because much of what we are actually Transformers fans for is based on G1. That's where it's at.

JediTricks
08-24-2006, 01:17 PM
AICN has already taken down the images, but tformers put up a gallery with them:
http://tformers.com/ig.php?mode=album&album=6418&dispsize=800&start=0

MegaWTF??? How is that Megatron? How is that a Transformer? It looks like some sort of rectal torture device! That bizarre head, arms that go to his knees, no blaster, inward elbows, crazy jaggy points everywhere, he doesn't even look that much like a robot much less a robot that transforms into something - which I guess explains why the vehicle mode doesn't look like anything either, Cybertronian alt modes always conveyed some measure of sense, this has wings and still I wouldn't guess it a jet. This design is, across the board, definitely not for me.

As for G1, if Megs there wasn't enough to prove they're not using it, I don't know what will be. Basically, Bay and the producers want to use the G1 names to get audiences in the door, but they don't want to be tied down to anything else about it, you know, anything that made G1 good and gave it a flavor that would get audiences in the door. I hate to say it, but it's such a classic cliche of Hollywood to do this, "change everything but the title", egotistical movie helmers who think they know better than everyone else what folks want to see from the franchise so they reimagine it into their own visions as if sculpting their own faces onto Mount Rushmore alongside Washington Jefferson, Lincoln, & Teddy R..

Tycho
08-24-2006, 02:03 PM
This is going too far!

That thing - whatever it is - would make a great Yuuzhan Vong (from SW: NJO - if it were more organic and not mechanical) but it is no Transformer! WTF!

They couldn't even get the eye color right: Megatron has RED eyes as do all Decepticons!

The closest Transformer this "jet" resembles is one of those Target Masters that came out in late G1: Slugslinger, Triggerhappy, or Misfire. (see top of catalog scan)

http://www.tfarchive.com/toys/catalogues/generationone_catalogue/88d_catalog.jpg

I really can't see myself camping out to see this movie now. I'll go opening day if I can get in - perhaps the early show (won't be matinee prices - those don't exist any more).

However, there is a new movie I'M GOING TO WORK ON THE SCRIPT FOR: it's about this guy who makes movies, named Michael Bay, and he's tortured and assasinated by a terrorist organization called Transformers Fans. :whip:

JT, please turn off the autocensor and cut out the inappropriate language censoring here for a day (at least in this thread) because I want to scream my $#%@!ng head off!

I want to kill Michael Bay, cut his $@#*!ng head off, and then $%^% down his God-damned $#@*!ng throat! Then I want to cut his $#&&s off and stick them in $%#@-eating mouth on his bodiless $#@*!ng head and set fire to it. After that, I'll need a bulldozer and I'm going to....

Excuse me. Can you tell I feel strongly about this?

JediTricks
08-24-2006, 02:17 PM
They couldn't even get the eye color right: Megatron has RED eyes as do all Decepticons!You're the second person to mention that to me today! For me, this was such a non-Megatron design that the eye color didn't matter (not that it really matters with the Decepticons in this movie since you can't make out their damn faces at all!).

The closest Transformer this "jet" resembles is one of those Target Masters that came out in late G1: Slugslinger, Triggerhappy, or Misfire. (see top of catalog scan)

http://www.tfarchive.com/toys/catalogues/generationone_catalogue/88d_catalog.jpg
Yeah, Hasbro did another Slugslinger last year in the Energon line too, they're all WAY more believable vehicles than this Megaturd.

However, there is a new movie I'M GOING TO WORK ON THE SCRIPT FOR: it's about this guy who makes movies, named Michael Bay, and he's tortured and assasinated by a terrorist organization called Transformers Fans. :whip: They're not terrorists, they're a rag-tag band of rebels loyal to the true cause of the people, who shall do anything to destroy the evil Emperor Bay.

JT, please turn off the autocensor and cut out the inappropriate language censoring here for a day (at least in this thread) because I want to scream my $#%@!ng head off!

I want to kill Michael Bay, cut his $@#*!ng head off, and then $%^% down his God-damned $#@*!ng throat! Then I want to cut his $#&&s off and stick them in $%#@-eating mouth on his bodiless $#@*!ng head and set fire to it. After that, I'll need a bulldozer and I'm going to....

Excuse me. Can you tell I feel strongly about this?Awesome!!! :D

Rogue II
08-24-2006, 02:26 PM
This may be a silly question, but if you are so ticked off about the choices, why bother seeing it the first day? Are you in that big of a rush to give them your money? I don't know much about the movie business, but it seems like they make a big deal about the opening weekend numbers. By going, you are showing support for the crap Hollywood has been putting out.

Casting the guy from the 80s cartoon to do Prime's voice seems almost silly now.

Was G1 Frenzy the red version of G1 Rumble?

Droid
08-24-2006, 02:39 PM
I will NOT see this movie.

I have to tell you one of the main reasons has nothing to do with the designs (which I despise) but with something said in the webcast about how this movie is really about how humans would react to big robots, almost like Jurassic Park.

This movie should not be ABOUT humans at all. It should have humans. The Transformers obviously should interact with humans. Spike should be a character. But I don't care about how humans will react to the Transformers. I care about the Transformers. That is the cool part.

The only reason they are taking this angle is money. You know every shot that doesn't have a Transformer saves them money. So they are playing up the human angle.

I actually think Lucas would do a much better job with this because he would go nuts on using CG in every shot, having the Transformers be in every scene, having big battles. And the story doesn't have to be terribly complicated. It would be a good Lucas fit. I think someone else may have said that in this thread.

Transformers: More than Meets the Eye. They are transforming what we know and liked about Transformers into a big steaming pile of ...

Megatron will always be this to me:

http://www.angelfire.com/ca5/Prowl/megatron.html

Droid
08-24-2006, 02:46 PM
Has anybody seen this message from Don Murphy:

"Hey there Stooges---

Thereís a lot of good stuff to tell you about showing SHOOT-EM-UP to the studio and them loving itÖ about another project that looks like it will happenÖ about something I so desperately wanted to do in 2002 but got wronged by a friend, and now the karma turns. Like I say there is a lot of good stuff to tell you.

But letís talk Transformers shall we? There has been a lot of leaks of photos, scripts, tidbits both true and false. Roberto and Alex spoke on a webcast this week. Lots of things coming out which are costing people their jobs. Good stuff, bad stuff.

But you know what? You havenít actually SEEN a damn thing yet.

Now the negative ninnies out there, the people like Bowspearer who just live in a cesspool of hatred, will say ďWeíve seen enough. This isnít my Transformers.Ē To those people who are so old school and stuck in their ways I say the following- Go away. Seriously. We donít need you here. You hate and you havenít SEEN a damn thing yet.

Oh sure, Prime doesnít look EXACTLY like he did in the cartoon. The Autobots are only five. The Decepticons donít have Soundwave. There are complaints out the wazoo. Well you know what?

I have complaints too. There are things I wanted in this film which are not going to be in there. But I know what some of you know- filmmaking is not a democracy. Hell, Adam Goodman is in charge of production at Dreamworks. Heís the guy who BOUGHT this film. He is working day and night to get this ready for July 07. There are things I know he wishes were in the film. But they arenít. Youíve talked online here to Brian Goldner. He owns the property but everything is not EXACTLY as he wishes. Tom Desanto is the most devoted producer out there- I know there are things he wishes were in there. You saw that Alex and Bob didnít get everything they wanted. And Michael Bay, who spends 16 hour days shooting this mega-film? Michael Bay who sets up every shot himself and oversees to the point of operating the camera at times? Heís made a zillion compromises to get a great film he can be happy with.

No, filmmaking is a series of happy accidents. When Tom and I shopped this project around every studio passed, including Dreamworks and Paramount. When those two studios and others came around, we ended up with Dreamworks because Steven Spielberg and Adam Goodman (and creative VPS John Fox and Marc Haimes) knew that this was a BIG cool idea for a franchise. Hell, those guys wanted it in cinemas THIS summer. Itís now 07 because everyone wants to get it right. No one is trying to make anything but a great film here.

When I say you havenít SEEN anything, think about it. Youíve seen a toy mold. A truck still. A Bumblebee model with a guy underneath it.

You havenít SEEN Bumblebee transform. You havenít SEEN Optimus walk or Megatron awaken. Youíve seen sketches, designs and stills. Most of you get it when Brian Goldner says ďWe are doing something here that has never been done.Ē Heís right. The technology is there to make a LIVE ACTION Transformers film. To make several of them. But this is not a cartoon. There are cartoons already. Hasbro is making more. This is something new and different. LIVE ACTION robots.

So you negative ninnies- Iíd like you to give us a break. And if you donít, Iíd like you to go away for a while. Seriously. Come back in six months. Wait until you SEE something that Michael and ILM and all of us have done. Not some leaked bull**** from some coward. Wait till you SEE the magic that I believe will be Transformers the Live Action Movie. Then if you donít like what you see, hate away. Till then, I challenge you to be a grown up and reserve judgment. Even the majority who seem to like what you see have a right to hate later on.

Weíre trying to do this right- to appeal to the fans and the rest of the world. Cullen is hired. Welker is going through the process. Other things are being reviewed and considered.

There will always be someone who wants to hate. Thatís so easy.

But I challenge the haters to wait until they SEE a Transformer in Live Action.

And the rest of you, most of you, thanks for the many suggestions and kind words. It continues to be a surprising and fun ride.

Hang Tight Stooges, Hang Tight."

Droid
08-24-2006, 03:06 PM
“We’ve seen enough. This isn’t my Transformers.” To those people who are so old school and stuck in their ways I say the following- Go away. Seriously. We don’t need you here. You hate and you haven’t SEEN a damn thing yet."

WOW! An invitation to the core Transformers audience to not see the movie. I have never seen someone in film do that. Wouldn't it make more sense to urge us to be patient and judge once we see it? Lucas never dared people who hated Episode I to not see the rest of the prequels. He asked us to watch the whole story and reminded us this was the story he wanted to tell.

"Oh sure, Prime doesn’t look EXACTLY like he did in the cartoon. The Decepticons don’t have Soundwave."

And why not? Why are they taking the position, "Remember how much you loved Transformers? Well this ain't it."
And then to go on and talk about how it isn't the film the people making wanted it to be? Well why not? Shouldn't SOMEONE be getting the movie they want? And shouldn't the people getting what they want be the fans? BOOHOO that you have an awesome job making movies and get to make a movie of a beloved franchise and people don't like the mess you're making of it. At least they admit they themselves aren't happy with the film either.

"No, filmmaking is a series of happy accidents."

So they admit they are just stumbling along with no vision or plan and hope this all works out. Well guess what, when you start down the wrong path you will almost never end up at the desired destination.

"You haven’t SEEN Bumblebee transform. You haven’t SEEN Optimus walk or Megatron awaken."

And I never will because you made them look like something else other than Bumblebee, Prime, and Megatron.

“We are doing something here that has never been done.”

Ya, there has never been CGI in a movie before. Lucas already made it so anything that you can envision can be shown on film. I've seen Destroyer Droids transform. I've seen big robots in movies before. I've seen CGI vehicles before.

"And if you don’t, I’d like you to go away for a while. Seriously. Come back in six months."

Oh so you do want me to come back? Well too late, you already asked me to leave. So I will.

"Wait till you SEE the magic that I believe will be Transformers the Live Action Movie. Then if you don’t like what you see, hate away. Till then, I challenge you to be a grown up and reserve judgment."

I don't have to reserve judgment (which isn't a trait inherent to being a grown up by the way). I know what Megatron looks like and that isn't it. Don't remake Star Wars and decide you don't need Darth Vader and tell me to be reserve judgment. You don't have Soundwave. So it ain't Transformers to me. I have enough information to pass judgment.