PDA

View Full Version : Why did you start collecting Lego sets?

LusiferSam
06-11-2003, 07:15 PM
So this is a question I keep meaning to ask, but never do. Any how, why did you guys start collecting SW Lego sets?

Me, it was a nature off shoot of what I was doing. As a very young kid I had a number of Dupols that I played with a lot (mainly to make playsets or vehicles for my other toys). But one year I was given a real Lego set for my birthday and from that time on those plastic bricks have been my favorite toy. So when the SW line came out it was only natural for me to get them because was already a Lego collector and I've always loved SW. So it was the perfect combination.

JediTricks
06-11-2003, 08:59 PM
Since I was 5, I can't remember a time when I didn't have Lego toys around. I remember being about 6 or 7 when my grandpa gave me a VERY early Technic set - all the bricks and plates were yellow - and it was so complicated for me at first (it was over my age group) but I really got into it after a few hours. Mainly, I've been given actual sets instead of just buckets, but I usually broke them down after a few weeks and used their pieces into my own style of building.

bobafrett
06-12-2003, 12:07 AM
Well, ever since seeing Star Wars, then seeing Lego's, I was always hoping Mr. Lucas would allow Lego the license to do SW lego's. Back in my early days I had to settle for space legos which were alright. I ended up painting the outside of my creations, gray to look like some of the Empires fleet. Then as I got older, I grew away from Lego's only because I was collecting Star Wars, as well as paying bills, then I started dating and eventually had a son. I remember the day I found out that Lego wAS going to release a couple of SW ships, man what a day that was! Now I check the Lego isle everytime I go on my action figure quests.

aceguide
06-12-2003, 08:50 AM
I too grew up with legos. Legos and Star Wars dominated my toys.

Back then I tried to do some SW vehicles out of the speace sets. Quite disapointing, but a valiant effort nonetheless.

Now that there are "official" SW lego sets I am continually amazed at their detail, accuracy and playability. I have really enjoyed this line, and am again an avid legos fan. I have alsoe enjoyed the Harry Potter line - very inventive and some great new bricks.

ACPin
06-12-2003, 09:13 AM
My three sons grew up with Legos and no matter what new toy came along they wind up coming back to play the Legos more than anything else. So when Lego started producing SW sets it was just a natural progression to it.

yngadult
06-12-2003, 06:08 PM
I was never into Lego's but preferred Playmobil, Matchbox and of course SW 3 3/4" figures.
When Lego came out with the SW line, I refrained from buying any. The SW Action Fleet line was available then for less money and more realism.
I only started getting into SW Lego this year, especially after the post Christmas bargains at Target. The fact that the stores did not have any new 3 3/4" SW figures on their shelves contributed to my switch. I got hooked onto the mini figures and have started to build up a collection.
Now, I regret not collecting Lego sooner as I really want the now discontinued Snowspeeder. Ahh, maybe they'll release it again.

El Chuxter
06-12-2003, 06:12 PM
As a kid, I never had Lego sets. My dad always got me a knockoff called Brix-Blox, which may or may not have been exclusive to Sears and were incompatible with Lego due to a slight difference in the size of the pegs.

A couple of years ago, I found C-3PO, Pit Droid, and Battle Droid on clearance at my local WM. I've since gotten a lot of the SW and Harry Potter sets, mainly when they go on sale or clearance. I've not been able to put most of them together due to space limitations, but I plan to do so sometime in the near future. :)

Thurstan
06-21-2003, 01:01 AM
My cousin and I played with space legos when we were young, and often dreamed of Star Wars legos. About 15 years later, it happened. We both flipped out and went on a spending spree that hasen't finished yet. A lego darth vader....I mean come'on a LEGO DARTH VADER! Too cool for words.

~Thurstan

jedi master sal
06-21-2003, 01:56 AM
Hmnmm, seems to be a pattern here.

I too collected the space sets, when only the Red and White Astronauts where available. Then came the yellow and then I think black of blue. I also collected the medievel sets at that time. Anyone remember that big freakin' YELLOW Castle set? I had one. I was the best set I had growing up as a kid. I did make an AT-AT back then. Somewhat pathetic looking but I knew what it was and that's all that mattered back then.

Well, as life does for some, I grew apart from collecting LEGOs. Then fast forward to the late 90's LEGO decides to get the license for making SW products. At first I "rebelled" against getting these, as I was already spending a small fortune on Hasbro stuff. but I really liked some of them and remembered my joy of youth. So, I bought some and found that I really liked building these again. The fact that it was Star Wars made it just that much BETTER!

I collect nearly every SW LEGO set now and am VERY happy for it. The Tantive IV set was a great experience to build. I spent 2 hours a day for 5 days building that thing on my dining room table! My fiancee wasn't pleased at first but then when it started coming all together, even she commented on the detail (for LEGO) and the size and such.

Now if only NEW LEGO product would have been showing up in stores while Hasbro stuff was on "Hiatus", we could have all been a' buildin' fools.....

I can't wait for the new MINI sets and look forward to any and all future sets, whether they be MINI, standard, TECHNIC, Ultimate Collectors Edition or whatever......

and hey, LusiferSam, thanks for starting this thread. It gave me time to wax nostalgic.
Ah, those were the days back in the late 70's early 80's. So blissfully unaware of scalpers, toy shortages, cost of toys.....

JediTricks
06-21-2003, 05:33 AM
You know what else kept me into Lego throughout the years? Something I really wish I had touched on before, the ability to make just about any toy I can imagine. I wanted a van that turns into a hovership, I highly doubted I'd ever see this at mass-market, so I built it and still play with it today. Building from scratch or simply adding new features to models, this is a major thrill for me. A friend of mine is building sets based on Castlevania now that I've shown him the Vampire set that came out last year. When so many other toy lines disappoint or miss out on something really cool, I can always count on my Lego to fill that void. Heck, earlier today I was rebuilding a Lego biplane as a mono-wing even though I've run almost entirely out of extra bricks.

Oh, and in the mid/late '80s, nearly every piece I had was black from all the Blacktron sets out. I built TONS of black spaceships, even a black spaceport for them to land at (actually, black & blue, but what a set). And every set had a spaceman mini-figure or three in it - those poor space-fools with their helmets that had no face covers. ;)

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
06-21-2003, 12:32 PM
I only got them because of the mini figs.

Bosskman
06-26-2003, 05:20 AM
I've always had legos since I was a kid. I was really big into Castle sets. I still have all my lego but when Hasbro/Kenner's new Star wars lined returned in 1995, my lego collecting went on hiatus..........UNTIL LAST NIGHT!!!!! Don't get me wrong, when the SW lego sets first came out I was sorely tempted to buy them. Since then I've had several occaisions when I picked up some of them only to put them back on the shelves. TRU had them on for half price last night and I got a bunch of them. THEY ARE AWESOME. Now I only need to find some of the cool older sets like the Falcon,. snowspeeder, X-Wing, Vader's TIE, etc... It feels good to be back in the legos after all these years.

lordscalper
06-28-2003, 05:54 PM
Some of you guy's have very brute user names but after reading your post on why you collect toys, I have now seen the sensitive caring side of you which really makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

I want to let you guys know that I care a whole lot about you and your reasons for collecting Lego's and encourage you to spread the word around with co-workers, distant family members and friends about how fun and loving it is to collect lego's and put them together and after your finished, you can sit back and stare in awe at the amazing piece of art that you have created.

I'm so happy I can reply and have such lovely, caring, kind hearted people listening. If you guys are ever in California make sure to give me a ring so I know ahead of time and I can make plans for us to go bird-watching, sightseeing, maybe have a sip of tea at the local tea house or maybe just relax on the beach and watch the sunset and have all of our Lego's right by our side so they can enjoy it too.