PDA

View Full Version : The "Deleted" scene from AOTC on HYPERSPACE

JEDIpartner
06-12-2003, 01:43 PM
I can't really give it a thumbs up or a thumbs down. It's a work print that was cobled together from pieces of bluescreen scenes, rough animatics and previously shot scenes that were dropped in (droids being "force pushed" in the Theed battle scenes).

Basically, the shots are the unfinished versions of the arena sequences. At one point you see Ki-Adi and his group running up a ramp with his group. They are fighting battle droids that have not been dropped in at this stage of production. The scene cuts back to the arena. When they cut back to the Trade Federation command ship, Ki-Adi and his group are running down a hallway, still fighting the droids. they storm the bridge and continue fighting with the droids. Ki-Adi steps over to a console (like the one Tey How used in TPM) and presses a button- deactivating the droids. The scene cuts back to the arena and you see Padme and Anakin standing with the rest of the Jedi in the circle. Back aboard the ship, you see what's left of Ki-Adi's group looking around the bridge when the droids power back up. He says something like "They have independent control!" and there is more blaster fire which wipes out the rest of his group save for himself and Plo Koon.

That's about the long and short of it. In case you were curious.

TheDarthVader
06-12-2003, 02:05 PM
Thank you for the post! I was wondering what that scene was about...basically it gets us nowhere from where we were in the movie so I can understand why it got cut out. It is interesting to know that the Trade Federation has finally developed an independently controlled battle droid...that's neat! ;)

Beast
06-12-2003, 02:10 PM
I actually had to laugh after seeing it. Because everyone made a big deal about this incredible action scene from AOTC's that was cut from the film. And I have to agree with Lucas on why it was cut, it's a waste of time.

It's extremely short once you consider some of what they show was in the actual film. And since it's so raw, I can understand it not being on the DVD. Since the other scenes were finished for the DVD release. This one would have taken alot of time and money to get up to par.

And it wasn't really worth it even for the sake of the story. It's much better in the film with Dooku calling a halt to the droids, and then having them go back into battle mode as the cavalry arrives. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
06-12-2003, 02:54 PM
I agree with you... there is a much better dramatic element at work there. The reason I said "I can't really give it a thumbs up or a thumbs down" is that, while relatively useless, it is interesting to see how things are patched together to make a cohesive scene.

El Chuxter
06-12-2003, 03:24 PM
Ah, but does any scene truly deserve to be cut when Plo Koon has a speaking line? :)

Beast
06-12-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
Ah, but does any scene truly deserve to be cut when Plo Koon has a speaking line? :)
Well, from what I've seen so far there was no line of dialogue from Plo Koon. It would have been added in post anyway, because he has no mouth. Infact the scene only has Obi-Wan, Mace, and Ki-Adi-Mundi saying anything. Since Plo wasn't in the list of non-returning Jedi, maybe he'll finally get his moment of fame as he's killed in EIII. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

kool-aid killer
06-17-2003, 08:38 AM
I had heard of this scene but where did you guys see it? I would love to see how they went about it even if it looks horrible.

Rogue II
06-17-2003, 08:57 AM
You have to join Hyperspace on the SW website.

OC47150
07-11-2003, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the description. I've wondered about that scene.

About how long was it? You gotta wonder, if it was kept in, if it would've broken up the action too much.