PDA

View Full Version : Do you open your Shuttle Tyderium?

Gonk 1979
06-13-2003, 12:04 PM
....and is it worth the price in general. I'm thinking about picking one up in August from KB's for $99, or getting one at the Star Wars Cantina in Caesars Palace's FAO Schwartz, but want to know how my display options are. Does the packaging have a display bubble? If I do take it out will I have to hang it up or will it stand on it's own? Is it worth it?

LusiferSam
06-13-2003, 12:42 PM
Now I don't have Saga Shuttle, but plan on getting one and I do have a vintage one so I answer as best I can.

Price wise, $99 is better then $120. Its still more than I'd want to pay, but its got my attention. Because everything of my is loose, I'll open mine. But yes the Shuttle does stand on it's own. Its a tripod landing gear, like most other vehicles. The two back legs fold in the body and front leg is fixed in place for use as a handle. Hanging it might look silly, but I've seen people do.

mm74md
06-13-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Gonk 1979
Does the packaging have a display bubble?

Is it worth it?

No, solid cardboard. It's in pieces inside so a display bubble would be pointless.

It's so much worth it that I bought two. One for me and one for my son (& me)!

OC47150
06-13-2003, 02:09 PM
I have the FAO version and I haven't opened it.

stad
06-14-2003, 12:20 AM
It's great if you open it, my friend got two. But you have to take the guns apart and fix them, they are upside down!

bobafrett
06-14-2003, 12:59 AM
I don't own one of the newly released shuttles, I do have somewhere in my collection one from the "return of the jedi" era line. I opened it, but I wouldn't know if I had spent that much on one, if I would open it or not.

Turbowars
06-14-2003, 01:13 PM
I opened mine and removed the handle. the damn thing is useless anyways, you don't need it to fold up or down the wings. When hung it looks much better.

Hellboy
06-15-2003, 09:51 PM
It would be a shame not to open this one Gonk 1979. I love mine but like turbowars I'm not really big on the handle that won't fold up like the rear landing gear. I would like to hang one up but it looks terrible with the handle and I'm worried it would look strange after removing it.

The shuttle looks great if you have it displayed like it shows on the box with the Emperor arriving on the Death Star. This is how I've chosen to display mine surrounded by 75 various Imperial Troops. I really only have one complaint about diplaying it this way. The shuttle's height when in landing position is noticably out of scale compared to the height of the figures. For example the end of the shuttle's nose is as high as the chest of most standard figures so displaying figures around the ramp doesn't look good.

I did get lucky as my guns were not assembled upside down like so many others so that problem may be fixed now.

Turbowars
06-16-2003, 07:37 PM
Hellboy, it looks fine with out the handle. I took my ship apart to remove it. You can take the handle off without taking the ship apart, but the trigger will still be sticking out. So taking the ship apart is a better idea. It's cool inside anyways, you can see how the wings work.

Hellboy
06-16-2003, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the info turbowars. When I get tired of the way I've set mine up presently I think I'm going to try that. :)

Jaff
06-17-2003, 12:40 PM
OPEN THE SHUTTLE FOR GOD"S SAKE.
I would have to hang myself if I couldn't stand my guards and emperor outside it. My figures would be clawing at the box and might have mutinied against me had I not!

fewzz
06-17-2003, 07:47 PM
Yea open it!!!!!!

I open everything i own! , i have spent a fortune on my collection and no matter what i pay i open everything and display them! sinply coz i love the looks of the stuff and thats why i collect them , drastically running out of spave now though but hey i'll be getting my shuttle soon !

aikman8_1999
06-18-2003, 10:30 AM
IMHO if you are paying $100+ for a star wars toy it is either for:
-investment specualtion
-desperation (this is my only chance to get one)

its like a new car, drive it off the lot the price goes down, open it , same thing

$100 for a toy is crazy,especially if u open it

Beast
06-18-2003, 10:39 AM
Or we're paying $100.00+ for a cool Star Wars Toy, because we wanted to. And because it's a really nice one. And because a vintage one would have cost way more to buy now. :)

I don't care about the value. I opened mine and it's sitting on my table with Imperial Officers surrounding it. It was well worth the price, since I wanted one when I was a kid and never could get one.

Call me crazy if you want, but I don't think I am. It was worth every penny that I paid for it. A great ship, with great detailing, and a fantastic weathered paintjob. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darkross
06-18-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Or we're paying $100.00+ for a cool Star Wars Toy, because we wanted to. And because it's a really nice one. And because a vintage one would have cost way more to buy now. :)

I don't care about the value. I opened mine and it's sitting on my table with Imperial Officers surrounding it. It was well worth the price, since I wanted one when I was a kid and never could get one.

Call me crazy if you want, but I don't think I am. It was worth every penny that I paid for it. A great ship, with great detailing, and a fantastic weathered paintjob. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Agreed! I don't have the Shuttle myself...but someday soon I will. I too open everything and I don't think it's crazy to spend $100+ on a toy...well a vehicle that is. I don't think I would pay that for a figure though. I've paid $60 each for my Tie Bombers, Snowspeeders and the Skiff...so call me crazy if you want but that's like $300.00 and I've opened all but two of them due to lack of space.

Hellboy
06-18-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by aikman8_1999

$100 for a toy is crazy,especially if u open it

I fail to see the logic in that statement since the majority of the people who do buy toys open them and are not concerned with the resale value of that item. Just because these toys we buy are collectibles and are worth more packaged doesn't diminish the fact that there is still a product inside that cardboard box that most people would like to use in some way.

If you personally feel its worth the $100.00+ as I do for many of the same reasons JJB mentioned and you can afford one open it and enjoy it as you would any other product you buy. :)

I am Jabba the Hutt
06-18-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I don't think you're crazy, if you like it and you feel it's worth every penny, that's what counts.
The shuttle is my fave ship from all of the movies, I settled for the action fleet version cause I don't really have the room for the FAO one. :D Who has the action fleet one?

Turbowars
06-18-2003, 06:19 PM
I'm a carded and boxed collector, but I still opened my Shuttle. It really is a nice ship and the price was worth it to me or I would not have bought it. Besides the box sucks.

sith_killer_99
06-18-2003, 06:29 PM
Yep, I opened mine and I paid well over $100.00!!!

But then, I open all my ships.:D

But I am a carded collector, go figure.;)

BTW, here's one for all you "Boxed" collectors:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3135203357&category=2475

Yep, that's a VINTAGE unopened MIMB Shuttle!!!! And probably the most impressive, well preserved ROTJ Shuttle in the hobby! I mean this baby is in better shape than my box was when it arrived.:eek:

aikman8_1999
06-19-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Hellboy
If you personally feel its worth the $100.00+ as I do[/B]

I guess thats where I stray, I dont think I could ever pay that much for a toy, or that I think the value would ever be there

Jaff
06-19-2003, 01:17 PM
If you judge the value of a star wars toy on it's money value than you are missing the point of collecting. The real value of SW stuff is the place it has in your nastalgia and the love for the trilogy. Investment collectors don't usually understand why folks open stuff. These types are in for a big disapointment when the market saturates, but the true star wars collectors get the real reward of actually loving the collectibles they own.

aikman8_1999
06-19-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Jaff
If you judge the value of a star wars toy on it's money value than you are missing the point of collecting. The real value of SW stuff is the place it has in your nastalgia and the love for the trilogy. Investment collectors don't usually understand why folks open stuff. These types are in for a big disapointment when the market saturates, but the true star wars collectors get the real reward of actually loving the collectibles they own.

I dont understand why people invest either, this wont be worth anything.

I am a collector cause I like the stuff, I open everything and ive never sold 1 item I own.

I need to judge the value on the toy on how much it costs, $100 for any 3 3/4 item ship or playset that has been released thus far is ridiculous. Shuttle is a $50 item max, no electronics or pack in , come on. Even with those, the queen starship and at-at IMHO were way overpriced, and subsequently blown out.

I just cant see the value in $100 for one vehicle

aikman8_1999
06-19-2003, 01:34 PM
Id be curious to know what people have done with thier shuttle after theyve opened it. Did they simply admire it then put it back in the box for several months? Or has it turned into a nice, albiet very expensive diorama enhancement.

Jargo
06-23-2003, 08:02 AM
I lay with mine, both of them, both opened and both lovely. I fly them round my bedroom and threough to the other bedroom and then into the bathroom and back. I teasre the dog by performing close flybys and strafing him with laser fire. Sometimes the shuttles just sit in my docking bay diorama but sometimes the are played with. Same with all my star wars stuff. I'm 35 buyt never tire of play. Especially if my six year old nephew is around to do battle against. He likes the rebels and i like the Imperials.
Was irt worth paying over 200 for? hell yeah! Wanted one of these suckers since i was a kid and now i have two. My dream is fulfilled. and then some. Do i care about the cost? once the money is spent i have no care about value. If i get bored then i'll trade for something i want regardless of the current percieved value of the shuttle at the time. I might trade a shuttle for LOTR horse and rider set. Nothing like equal in cash value but if i want a horse and rider set and don't want one of my shuttles then I'll consider it a good trade. I get something i want and get rid of something i don't. Cash value is not a consideration to me. Nor is owning expensive shelf ornaments.

Dark Marble
06-23-2003, 04:38 PM
I have a vintage shuttle and I am waiting on my pre-order for the saga version. I am in the same boat as Jargo. I couldn't have one when I was a kid, and could only see my more well off friends get these things. Soon (hopefully) I will have 2 of them, and both will be opened.

In my opinion, I say OPEN! I love having my ships out to enjoy what I had to pass on in my younger years. I am also an everything out collector, and can't justify spending money on something I can't see or interact with. If I pay $100+ for a toy, I don't want to look at the box! But I am not slamming on my fellow collectors that keep things in the box. If you got it enjoy it, but if the plan is to sell it, then do it soon because not only will these things not be rare, but the new saga shuttle will probably drag down the prices of the vintage shuttles as well.