PDA

View Full Version : Harry Harry, are we going to take this?

Sith Worm
11-19-2001, 08:01 PM
Boys are we going to take this? We must break every record he breaks I am so tired of hearing Harry! everyone leaves out that Harry is showing on 3000 more screens and that ticket prices are 2.00 more than in '99. Every report I see they mention that it broke star Wars it broke alot more too. Anyways I hope in May we fans put Harry to rest! And Titanic I have no doughts that Harry will break all the records so we will have to do it with Epi.II or fellowship me must not fail!....

Rollo Tomassi
11-20-2001, 09:57 AM
ugh. get over it, it's a non-issue i'm afraid...

JediTricks
11-20-2001, 10:02 AM
Tickets are only 50 cents more than the ones I bought for Ep 1 at most chains I go to.

Sith Worm
11-20-2001, 06:49 PM
Uh...
...O.K. I guess we are going to take it...

Dferguson
11-21-2001, 03:29 AM
who really cares about if this movie is going to beat this movie
just enjoy it for what it is and the Entertainment value

JediCole
11-21-2001, 02:42 PM
The real problem with these "record breaking" movies is the dubious nature of the records themselves. The intrensic problem with statistics in general, and this particular type specifically, is that their foundation rests on a flawed assumption, that of "all things being equal". If every film were stamped out of the same mold or had equal appeal to all film goers, then breaking box office records would be a far more remarkable feat. However, absent such a broad-based assumption, and as many here have pointed out in one way or another, it matters little. Harry Potter's success is due in no small part to its target audience. Though HP has been very well received by readers of all ages, the books upon which the character is based have captured the imaginations of children everywhere. And for the most part, children don't go to movies by themselves. So for every child (or group of children) filling a seat (and subsequently adding to ticket sales), there is at least one adult also in attendance. If most of us here on SSG want to go to a movie, we don't need a chaparone. That is one deciding factor. Another is, ironically, the "race for #1" and the "race to break records". Ironic in that, prior to Star Wars (the focus of this website), box office records were not the stuff of the nightly news. Star Wars raised the stakes for everything that followed. For my money, a greater indicator of the strength of a film at the box office is the ratio of cost versus take. In that regard, films like The Blair Witch Project (which cost pennies on the dollar of Harry Potter's budget) and made a truckload of cash in the theatres are the true record breakers. But how often do we get to see those figures? Almost never. Just some food for thought if you are the type to be too concerned that Star Wars has had it's tenuous grip on box office records unceremoneously loosed yet again.

Wolfwood319
11-21-2001, 03:49 PM
I personally don't think that LoTR or AOTC will beat Potter, but his record won't last for too long.

Cole is right, these records are pointless now, as they hardly constitute the "record" recognition, because with in a year, every record gets beat.

If you like the film, see it. If you don't, don't see it, but don't look at the gross profit as how good the movie is.

Besides, all the fans of SW and Tolkien combined couldn't match the number of children who treat Harry Potter as we treat SW and Tolkien.

Sith Worm
11-22-2001, 09:50 AM
Well said Cole and Wolf well everybody for that matter I just love SW and LOTRs so much I would like them to be number one, I am far to competive and want the na sayers that are all around me to be silenced by the breaking of records. I have so many people say nobody goes to see those SW movies except freaks and so on. I just want everyone to shut up, I guess I just worry about it to much...

GNT
11-23-2001, 02:56 AM
Even if AOTC beats Harry Potter in Box office sales,whats stopping thee next 4 or so Harry Potter movies???

Sith Worm
11-24-2001, 02:14 PM
nothing GNT, nothing...

JediCole
11-25-2001, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Sith Worm
I have so many people say nobody goes to see those SW movies except freaks and so on.

If memory serves, Sith Worm, it was you yourself who just last week said to me, "Nobody goes to see those SW movies except freaks and so on."

Oh wait, that was ST (Star TREK) movies!

GNT
11-25-2001, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by Sith Worm
nothing GNT, nothing...

I george will have to come out with a new sage to bet harrys record :)

Rollo Tomassi
11-25-2001, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by GNT

I george will have to come out with a new sage to bet harrys record :)

I George, will have to come out with a new saga to beat Harry's record. :)

You're welcome, Sith Ninja:rolleyes: ;) :D

Sith Worm
11-26-2001, 06:52 PM
Someone help me out with some info here, O.K. orginaly I heard harry broke the fastest to 100 million mark set by Epi.I. Then in the paper the next day I saw that the first numbers for harry were now diffrent much lower then I had A friend tell me on the radio they heard that harry did not break it so whats the deal did he or did he not break the record? I can't find any websites with this kinda info does anyone know any good ones?...

GNT
11-27-2001, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi

I George, will have to come out with a new saga to beat Harry's record. :)

You're welcome, Sith Ninja:rolleyes: ;) :D

:eek:I guess I wasn't paying attention when I posted it! :eek:

princethomas
11-27-2001, 11:17 AM
Well, for one thing, I think we will see that Harry Potter will not even approach Titanic's all time record. I really doubt that Harry Potter will have even close to the same kind of box office stamina that it will require to make that much money. Titanic made over 20 million per weekend for what seemed like a year. It had no competition at all. It was number one at the box office for weeks and weeks. Harry Potter has only one more week at number one ahead of it, then it will finish second to Ocean's 11. They picked the most perfect time to release this movie. It will have an enormous head start. But I honestly believe it will have a tough time getting to even 400 million. Which is a huge number, but still, it will begin to die soon. As for Lord of the Rings.

Well, no offense meant. But I think you people are dreaming if you think Lotr will set any records. Im sure it will do well. But I havent met a single person in the outside world that has said they want to see it. The trailers play, and I dont here anyone say "cool" or "neat" or "Im going to see that." It will not have anything close to the draw that Harry Potter did. Or The Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones.. Im not a LOTR basher. IM going to see it. Ive never read it. I dont tend to like that kind of stuff. But the trailers look really good.

We will see

--Tom

Sith Worm
11-27-2001, 07:11 PM
Well poster formally know as prince, I wouldn't say it won't gross much if you haven't read it or that people don't ew and aw at it . This book has been out for more than fifty years and millions and millions of copies have sold and currently fellowship is #2 and the Hobbit is #4 on the best sellers list. I don't think this is because of a new found intrest, it's because of the movie. People want to read it before they see it or they want to refresh their memories. People are going to come out of the wood work for this one don't be to quick to say it won't break records. I think you will be surprised. there are alot of nasty little hobbitses fans out there that have been waiting for this one for a long time! and to you I would read it and if you "don't tend to like that sort of stuff" I wouldn't knock it cause there are alot of people out there who do such as myself...

Rollo Tomassi
11-28-2001, 11:04 AM
Before Potter-mania. Before Star Wars entralled millions. Before Trekkers. There was....Lord of the Ring Devotees. All the geeks in the 50's, 60's and 70's were spray painting "FRODO LIVES!" in subway stations and recreating sections of the books in college acting classes. It was insane. Those people are still out there, but they've all grown up into the quiet middle class around you. It's there, buddy, it's there.....be afraid.

Sith Worm
11-28-2001, 09:03 PM
...very afraid, Well said Rollo at last some one that agrees with me. All those wonderful folks hava had children and they have had there own. And the mania lives in them for I am one of them. My mother read these to me as a child for bedtime stories (maybe thats why I am so screwed up, it all went to hell when she took me to see Star Wars, mothers are great!) I can't wait for this movie. Finally at last, be very afraid...

bigbarada
11-28-2001, 09:17 PM
LOTR had a thirty year head start on Star Wars and a fifty year head start on Harry Potter. In fact without LOTR it's a safe bet there wouldn't be a Star Wars or Harry Potter. So don't dismiss it as trivial or something people don't want to see. My parents grew up with LOTR, my grandparents grew up The Hobbit. The fans are out there and they will come.

ThomasLane
11-30-2001, 06:55 PM
...and if the trailers are any indication, the movie looks like it is going to be good.

BTW - I saw Harry Potter this week with the family, and I was surprised that it was a pretty good movie.

Sith Worm
11-30-2001, 07:00 PM
Harry, can you hear that? It's the sound of your record being broken on Dec. 19. 18 days boys and girls. I can't wait!

Wolfwood319
12-01-2001, 12:20 AM
I don't mean to be a party pooper, but I don't think that LOTR has enough of a following to beat Harry Potter at the box office.

Just about every kid in the country went to go see Potter, and took mom or dad along for the ride. A lot of other people saw it as well just to see what it was about. LOTR doesn't have that much appeal. Sure it'll get the 18-35 year old males, but that's about it. I can't imagine senior citizens waiting in lines to see Fellowship. LOTR may have been around for a lot longer, but it won't have the trend factor that Potter had going into opening weekend.

A lot of people will right this one off as a rental. It'll be big, but not Potter big. There just isn't enough media out there on LOTR right now, like there was with Potter.

bigbarada
12-01-2001, 12:23 PM
I really could care less how much money the movie makes. In fact I am not expecting it to do all that well, considering that nothing really major happens in the first book. It's just setup for the next movies.

However, I do know a lot of people who are very excited to see LOTR. Not nearly as many are looking forward to EP2.

I fully expect to see the Star Wars prequels fade into obscurity shortly after Ep3's release; but LOTR will live on!!

Sith Worm
12-02-2001, 10:27 AM
Biggin' I kinda feel the same way that star wars is kinda fading away, I mean not to the fans ,but to like the genral public like it's just not popular any more....

Rollo Tomassi
12-02-2001, 12:04 PM
No one cheered at the trailers. But everyone cheered for that stupid Scooby Doo trailer. What gives?

bigbarada
12-02-2001, 01:57 PM
It pains me to say it, but I think the Star Wars phenomenon is truly dead.:cry:

master jedi
12-03-2001, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
No one cheered at the trailers. But everyone cheered for that stupid Scooby Doo trailer. What gives?

I know how you feel. tha Scooby Doo trailer sucked.

Sith Worm
12-03-2001, 10:40 PM
It is not dead, it lives in us the true fan. That all that matters to me...

By the way nice avatar biggin' did you make it yourself?...

bigbarada
12-03-2001, 11:42 PM
Actually Emperor Jargo made it. He's got like 200 "Star Park" avatars he's made of various characters. Check them out in the User CP section. Very funny stuff!

I know there will always be those of us who will keep it alive, but the days of Star Wars dominating the spotlight are over. That's what I meant by the 'phenomenon is dead.' However, only time will tell really. If today's 7-8 year olds grow up and are as adamant followers of the saga in twenty years, then I would have to retract my statement.

Sith Worm
12-04-2001, 07:47 PM
Well Biggin' I don't think the 7-8 year olds will like it. like our generation did because there is so much to chose from. This was the first thing I can really remember liking. Kids now a days have all kinds of stuff Harry, Monters Inc., Powder Puff girls, O.K. forget that one. The parents also don't like the new trilogy as much as parents liked the old one (the "good" one)...