PDA

View Full Version : Vintage/Toy Collection started up 93ish?

Banky
06-13-2003, 03:16 PM
Is it just me or does it seem like a lot of people starte to collect vintage around 1993-1994. It seems to hit a high point here and start to take off. A local comic store started to sell it here so maybe that is why I feel like that.
But it was not just vintage. The action figure market got hot around this same time. First the Batman:TAS figures and then new Star Wars.
Does anyone else see a Action Figure Collector spike around this time? 1993-1995ish?

Bel-Cam Jos
06-13-2003, 06:59 PM
Here's my theory why: 1991 was the return of SW with the Timothy Zahn book Heir to the Empire, and Dark Horse's Dark Empire was published in 1992. So, it took about a year for speculators to drag out their old stuff to gouge the public, and those who "forgot" they used to collect it would try to fill in their gaps.

I finished my figure collection around 1993, with Han in Carbonite for $95 (loose).

Kidhuman
06-13-2003, 09:39 PM
At that time(93-93) I was working in retail. The action figure aisle got bigger by the month. I was actually shocked when I saw SW onthe shelves. I stood there and debated weather or not to buy them. I thought there might be just a few so I started to buy them. Then before I new it, BAM!!!, I have an entire room dedicated to these figures. It seems like everyone and everybody started to get into it. They are re-releasing all the toys that we had growing up as kids in the 80's and early 90's. I thionk it was a good thing but now it is just getting to be overkill with all the action figures. Eveeryone and everything has a figure for it. I still love my SW, don't get me wrong, but it has been taken a little to far IMO.

Banky
06-13-2003, 10:28 PM
Action Figures had some great time between 93-98ish?? But then the toy companies started to market them for collectors. That killed it for me. There are a few lines I like now or a figure figures here and there but over all its not like it was. Or am I getting old? I was so ready for new Star Wars figures I even got all those SW Bendem (sp?) released by Just Toys

LusiferSam
06-14-2003, 01:04 AM
Age is a big factor. SW toys came out in '78. '93 is 15 years later, most people who had the toys as a kid are now getting jobs and money. Money is the key. If you have more money then what you need to get by you'll buy stuff you want with the extra. Add in what Bel-Cam Jos said and there you have it.

bigbarada
06-17-2003, 11:23 PM
For me, personally, my interested in Star Wars was rekindled in 1994 when I dug out all of my old toys from boxes in the garage. Shortly after that, coincidentaly, I heard that Kenner was reviving the toy line. Then GL announced the Special Editions and prequels in an Insider article in late-1995. I've been re-hooked ever since.

Imperial_Outpost
10-16-2003, 09:42 AM
It had a lot to do with the books, which paved the way to the build up for TPM IMHO. What I am dreading to find out is - after the Prequels, is SW going to go back the the relative obscurity it did in the late eighties?