PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Master Splinter - Mirage Comics May 1984 / June 2003!!

Beast
06-14-2003, 12:47 PM
Well, it's officially the end of an era. I wasn't going to start a thread, because I didn't feel like it at the time. But I figured that I should honor my favorite character. Besides, not sure if the turtle fans on the board, are up to date with the current Mirage Comics. Especially since, the art of the book isn't the greatest.

But in Issue #10, they promised that a major character was going to die. And just like Chewbacca, it was a senseless death. I don't have the issue in my hand at the moment, but I will post what I've read. Only thing I can say, is he deserved a more noble death. Atleast dieing in battle, or somthing. Atleast the vision of one of his sons killing him wasn't true.

In Issue #8 and #9, it was strongly hinted that April was going to be the one to die. She had been stabbed years ago by Baxter Stockmen, and the nanoprobes in the weapon he used had remained dorment. But they suddenly reactivated and the Turtles and the Utroms battled to save her life.

But in Issue #10, their measures seemed to have helped. But unfortunatly Master Splinter suffered what according to what I've read, appears to have been a major heart attack. Before he passed away, he seemed distraught at leaving his sons.

As he died, what appeared to be the spirit of the Rat King appeared before him. He's appeared before, when Splinter was near death to help him battle back to life at all costs. Whether he was there now as a guide to the next realm or for a more sinister purpose, isn't explained.

There is always the chance that he could pull the old Obi-Wan trick, and appear when the TMNT need him in spirit form. But that's not known at the moment. Issue #11 will be his funeral issue, which will most likely follow the vision of Donatello in Japan to lay to rest the remains of Splinter. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I am Jabba the Hutt
06-14-2003, 01:09 PM
I think it's best that he dies the way he does, I mean look how Yoda dies in ROTJ.
Didn't splinter come to the turtles in spirit form in the first movie? I'm sure they saw him in spirit when they all went out to meditate at Aprils upsate place.

Beast
06-14-2003, 01:22 PM
Well, it was still a horribly lame death for a much loved character that's been around for quite a while. And yes, Yoda just passed away, but atleast Luke was with him at the time. As you can see from the comic scan, none of his sons was by his side when he died. As far as I know, it was just the Oots.

And yes, in the first movie he did leave his body and manifest for his sons in spirit form. It was when he was being held captive by The Shredder. It still was a weak death for a beloved character. And most of the fans of the old rat would have prefered he died atleast a bit more noble. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
06-14-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
It still was a weak death for a beloved character. And most of the fans of the old rat would have prefered he died atleast a bit more noble. :)

yeah, like in a rat trap ! :D

Eternal Padawan
06-16-2003, 02:33 PM
Well, only on issue #10 and they are already relying on that storyline crutch ( I.E. "This issue somebody dies!" ) to sell their book? Sales must be waaay down. I don't give this one another year.

Beast
06-16-2003, 02:54 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. But the good thing is, he'll still be alive in the cartoons and in the Dreamwave comics. Not to mention Mirage is planning a "Tales of the TMNT" comic that will deal with the storyline gap between Volume 2 and Volume 4. :)

Volume 4, the Volume in which Splinter dies is set 13 years after the current TMNT incarnation used in the cartoons. So the turtles are all 28, and Splinter was around 38. And his death has been predicted since Volume 2. But I'm hoping they bring him back somehow. Hell, they killed Shredder in Issue one of Volume one and he was brought back, and then perma killed issues later.

By the way, here's the scans of where Donatello and Splinter are talking about Donny's vision of the future where he would go to Japan to bury him. But I still think there is more to Splinter's death. Because Volume 2, also featured dreams by Splinter of one of his son's killing him. And one of Raph battling the Rat King as a giant rat, which could mean the R.K will inhabit Splinter's body. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
06-16-2003, 03:00 PM
And here's the Bloody Splinter dream, from volume two. This was a dream that disturbed Splinter fairly badly. As it predicted that one day, one of his sons would kill him.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
06-16-2003, 03:02 PM
And here's Raphael's dream/vision from the same series. It was of the Rat King in a giant rat form. Which fits with Splinter's dream fairly well, because Raphael did kill the rat. Which leads to assumption that the Rat King will take over Splinter's body. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

El Chuxter
06-17-2003, 06:02 PM
That sucks. No, sucks isn't a strong enough word for it.

Rest in peace, Master Splinter. :cry: We will always remember you as one of Henson's best puppets.

Off subject slightly, if so much time has elapsed, why is "Teenage" still in the title?

Beast
06-17-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
That sucks. No, sucks isn't a strong enough word for it.

Rest in peace, Master Splinter. :cry: We will always remember you as one of Henson's best puppets.

Off subject slightly, if so much time has elapsed, why is "Teenage" still in the title?
Yeah, I agree. But atleast there is the new cartoon, dreamwave comic, upcoming "Tales of TMNT" comic, and Hallmark mini-series movie on the horizen that he'll be a part of. I'm glad the CGI project never got off the ground. They show a shot in the promo for it, of Splinter laid out on a slab surrounded by candles. So they must have planned to kill him in that also.

Yeah, and the Henson puppet for the first movie kicked arse. The ones used in the second and especially the third, I'll not comment on out of respect for Splinter. I heard the one for the upcoming mini-series blows away the first movie one though. Splinter can now actually movie and fight, instead of being seated in his chair or standing around all the time. Cool beans. :)

As for why they haven't dumped the word "Teenage" from the title? Hell if I know. Probably because it just wouldn't be the same without it. And what could you replace it with that would have as much zing? Adult Mutant Ninja Turtles? :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Vortex
06-17-2003, 06:43 PM
But what I want to know is...who was the figure in the door way when Master S. was sitting at the table just prior to his heart attack...

foul play?

Vision?

Slipped rat poison in his tea/coffee?

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
06-18-2003, 04:09 PM
Master Splinter was one of my favs... :cry:

Eternal Padawan
06-18-2003, 04:51 PM
Gen-X Mutant Ninja Turtles. Then you got yourself an X in the title and that's comic book gold I've heard.

I think he'll stay dead until the writers are stumped for another way to boost sales and bring him back. (So, the issue after next basically)

Beast
06-18-2003, 05:00 PM
All things considered, I'm glad I'm not a Mirage TMNT fan. But probably EP. Especially with the mystery of the Rat King appearing right before his death. Also, in Issue #9 it was revealed that Donatello had kept the robotic Baxter Stockmen tacked up in a secret area of his workshop for years. He went to him for help in curing April.

Donny got the info from him and the blew him to bits with a blaster. Followed by the ever witty, ""Goodbye, Baxter..rot in hell." But before he destroyed him, Baxter mentioned a time travel device. So maybe the turtles will use that to bring Splinter back. And that way they can get Shredder back in the comics as well. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-19-2003, 12:12 AM
Ah, that totally sucks!!! RIP Splinter.

JJB- do you have any scans of the actual pages showing his death? I'm curious to see how they represented it and him "seeing the rat king" and whatnot. I haven't read the comics in years, so i don't nkow who and what these guys are, but anyway, RIP Splinter. I shall say quietly to myself before going to bed...."Ha, I made a funny!"

Beast
06-19-2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
Ah, that totally sucks!!! RIP Splinter.

JJB- do you have any scans of the actual pages showing his death? I'm curious to see how they represented it and him "seeing the rat king" and whatnot. I haven't read the comics in years, so i don't nkow who and what these guys are, but anyway, RIP Splinter. I shall say quietly to myself before going to bed...."Ha, I made a funny!"
I don't have a scan at the moment. But my issue will be here tommorow afternoon. I'll either hunt for a scan, or maybe I can get it scanned somewhere. The Rat King was in the old cartoon also. Basically he was this weird mysterious vagrant who had the power to control rats. He was also evil. :)

Back in Volume 2, Leonardo killed him with a Shuriken and he fell to his death in this ghost town sort of area near the farmhouse like was seen in the first TMNT movie. Later, Splinter was out for a walk in the same area, and the ground gave way under him and he fell and broke his leg.

The spirit of the Rat King appeared to him, and helped him fight himself back to health. He even forced Splinter to eat a rat to survive, when he was starving to death. When Splinter's leg had mended enough for him to leave the area, he discovered the bones of the Rat King nearby.

So now, the Spirit seems to have re-appeared for Splinter. Just before he died. Why he's there is unknown. But he was a spirit guide for him once, so he may be again. Or he's there for some nefarious purpose and actually caused Splinter's death. We'll see. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-19-2003, 01:35 AM
JJB- I remember the Rat King from the old cartoon. He was that scraggly fellow, with the white bandage around his head/eyes, if memory serves. It does seem odd that a character that wasn't that developed in the cartoon (or he could've been, that was what? how many years ago?) has such a role in the comics. Question though, if Mirage is Out of business (going on what your quote says) who will pick the title up and continue it? :D

Beast
06-19-2003, 01:44 AM
Well, the cartoon characters based on the Comic Characters were all highly changed. Like Leatherhead in Mirage comics was a good guy, that the Utroms (lil pink brain good guys, that they later based Krang on) had as a pet that got into some of the ooze. Or Splinter who was the pet of Hamato Yoshi.

They watered alot of that down, to make it more kid friendly. Like taking the design for the Utroms, and wiping up Krang. And since they couldn't have Oroku Saki kill Hamato Yoshi, they had him become Splinter in the cartoon.

No, Mirage Comics isn't out of business. Sorry for the confusion. That just means that he's died in the current Mirage Comics. Even if he lives on in other versions. He first appeared in May 1984 in the comics. And they killed him off in June 2003. Sorry for the confusion. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

kool-aid killer
06-19-2003, 07:10 AM
JJB, glad to finally find out what your sig line means. I dont follow the comics but it sucks that he died. At least it wasnt one of his sons though.

El Chuxter
06-19-2003, 12:20 PM
The Rat King was a joke in the old 'toon, but in the comic, he was pretty ominous. As far as I know he was the only cartoon creation to pop up in the Mirage series. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Vortex
06-19-2003, 01:38 PM
Its hard to tell if it was really the rat king. The guy standing in the door way had a little head wrap, looked like some body armor, dingy appearance, and appeared to have vapor of some sort around him.

With Mirage its hard to tell women and human characters apart since they are drawn pretty much all the same.

The odd thing was, the cat a few pages earlier who looked up and was shadowed by something, then went running for house. Was the cat just checking out the refilled bird feeder, or was there some one there? If there wasn't anyone there, why would the cat head back to the house, if there were birds eating from the feeder?

Then when splinter was at the sink, the "rat king" if it was him, was in the doorway, shadowed, and then on the next page, Splinter goes Hmmm...either after he drank his tea or had the feeling he was being watched, and sort of did the "head straight ahead, but looked to the side with his eyes" and then in the next panel, he started to have his heart attack.

And if issues 11 cover (Splinter on a funeral pyre) is any indication, he's gone.

Beast
06-19-2003, 03:14 PM
It's the rat king. That's what he looked like in the Mirage comics series. Here's his profile from one of the character profile sites and a picture. :)

The Rat King (AKA "The Monster") A hermit with mental power over rodents; a man believing himself a monster who rejected his humanity for reasons unknown upon some traumatic event in his past and took on the identity of "the Rat King." Passing through a ghost town beyond Manhattan, the Turtles and Casey Jones found themselves caught in a surprise attack by the Rat King, who lived in the abandoned area. After a fight, Leonardo hurled a shuriken star that struck the Rat King square in the chest, then sent him tumbling over the edge of the building he stood on (Tales of the TMNT #4). Some time later, when Splinter went on a journey of enlightenment while his pupils dealt with the warring factions of the Foot Clan, he wandered into the same ghost town the Turtles once passed through. Losing his footing, he fell into the same building as the Rat King had when Leonardo struck him down, breaking his leg. Weakened and famished, the apparition of the Rat King helped Splinter survive (by forcing him to consume a one of his own kind, a rat) and gave him the knowledge he sought. Splinter then discovered the now-skeletal corpse not to far from where he had lay, evidently establishing that Leonardo had killed him in the previous encounter (TMNT Vol. 1, #55 - 59).

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Vortex
06-19-2003, 03:34 PM
Well it was definitly the rat king them. Could have been calling him home.

Beast
08-05-2003, 09:27 PM
I finally got the pages scanned, and finally found the disc that I put them on. So here it is. The 5 pages featuring the death of Master Splinter. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

kool-aid killer
08-06-2003, 07:46 AM
Thanks for putting up the pages, JJB. Its a bummer to see Splinter actually die. The guy in the door does look like the rat king if you go by the photo you also put up. So what did the next issue do? Did it go into any details on if something else (foul play perhaps) was involved or was it just a heart attack?

Bel-Cam Jos
08-06-2003, 10:52 AM
Thanks for putting up the pages, JJB. Its a bummer to see Splinter actually die. The guy in the door does look like the rat king if you go by the photo you also put up. So what did the next issue do? Did it go into any details on if something else (foul play perhaps) was involved or was it just a heart attack?
Yes, great job JJB. I'd figure that the tea was poisoned, from the close up of the bag. Only problem I'd say is the dialogue; yes, I realize Splinter is dying, but the "uuhs" and "ahhs" seem a bit much. Silence, or just the "my... sons..." lines might have been enough. Sad times. :(

Beast
08-17-2003, 04:28 AM
The official site posted up the preview for this month's issue, including four preview pages. Sadly I was really hoping for a rememberance of Splinter issue, but it looks like they are going to stuff his Funeral Pyre around some lame Vampire storyline that's going on. Ah well, atleast I know they won't kill him in what counts, the new Animated Series. Nice touch to see that Leo is the last one standing there, as the fire on the pyre finally dies out. After all, he really was Splinter Jr. :cry: :)

http://www.ninjaturtles.com/comics/mirage/volume04/11/11.htm

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks