PDA

View Full Version : oh noooo! What happened.....?

Gonk 1979
06-15-2003, 02:44 AM
....the worst thing happened today, my friends. I went to my local Wal-Mart, where I've been getting the majority of my figs since '95, and casually strolled over to the Star Wars section.....only to find that there was no Star Wars section! I scoured the entire toy isles and nothing! There has always been a little section devoted to Star Wars constantly since '95, and now they are gone! Replaced by.....wait for it.....swimming crap! Is this a sign of things to come? Is Star Wars gone from my WalMart forever? Thats not a good sign, has this happened to anyone else?????

Brainiak76
06-15-2003, 03:57 AM
mine has bout 20-30 pegs full of CRAP!!

i swear i have to go late night when they stock and i dont even think that they put out the newer figs!! theres so much old crap that they just put it in the over stock room(i think)...or all the employes buyem all!! One time i opened up a new case and a lady got ********!!

LTBasker
06-15-2003, 09:28 AM
My Wal-Mart's section goes through alot of morphing. Even when Star Wars was in the "popular" phase it got shifted alot. The sad part is that even though they usually do have a section, they're usually pretty poor on getting figures in. Though fortunately it seems me and only 1-2 others are the avid collectors out of the 200,000+ population.

Kidhuman
06-15-2003, 12:46 PM
My Wal-Mart went from about 30 pegs to 12 about 3 months ago. It disappointed me alot since the only stuff there since then has been pegwarming bull-dung. About half the pegs are dedicated to Cantina sets which have not been clearanced like many other Wally Worlds have done.

At the other Wal-Mart near me, they still had EP1 12" 'ers at regular price. Wal_mart needs to get on board and work as a cohesive unit and get rid of all these things. I want the Cantina sets but not at 10 a piece. I have Greedo which my wife got me for X-mas, but if all the other Wal-Marts got rid of theirs, hopefully mine is next.

All in all I would rather not have a SW section if nothing new is going to be stocked. Be happy that you don't have to look at the same Padme's, Anakins, and Jangos day after day like me.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-15-2003, 01:11 PM
Mine continues to get in more cases, but they're not always new. The one they got a few days ago had some red clones (yay), some pilot clones (I'll need two more for the Clone Wars ship), and some pilot Jangos (boo!!), as well as destroyers. They sometimes get in 2003 figures, but they don't carry deluxe anymore.

LusiferSam
06-15-2003, 01:15 PM
My local Wal-Mart has done that before. Late '98 and again in '00 all Star Wars stuff disappeared for a month or so. And they have had the figures in just about every isle in the toy section now. I would worry about it too much.

Kidhuman
06-15-2003, 02:09 PM
They might also be in the clearance aisle. I know mine moves the stuff to a differrent aisle when it goes on clearance.

Jayspawn
06-15-2003, 03:44 PM
My Wal-Mart has a few pegwarming figures from 10 months ago. Nothing new at all since then.

Old Fossil
06-15-2003, 06:40 PM
My Wal-Mart has been getting one case of new figures a month since March, on average. They usually sell pretty quick. Strangely, the bulk of the pegwarmers -- Plo Koon, Jango KE, Anakin OPD -- have gone, too. I can't imagine where, unless the toy dept. manager pulled a few to keep in the back, to make room for the new figures.

And I, too, keep waiting for them to mark down the Cantina sets!

Darth Jax
06-15-2003, 11:49 PM
nearest wal-mart still has the pegs for star wars, but haven't seen a figure in about a month (that is the pegs are completely empty). same at target, pegs but no figures. someday, hopefully, they'll actually receive some figs and put them out.

Bobajames
06-16-2003, 01:39 PM
my walmart and target near me have about 12 pegs for star wars figures, and NO figures on them :(

Teeska Mon Eebon
06-16-2003, 05:37 PM
The walmart here still has about 30 pegs but condensed and filled with the same stuff they got last year on April 23rd.... But Delux and Cantina sets were marked down to 1 dolla! Since I already had the cantina sets I finnially got a force flipper....

Jaff
06-17-2003, 01:42 PM
Shelves are empty, collecting spirits are at a lull, the shroud of the dark side continues.

Dar' Argol
06-23-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Gonk 1979
....the worst thing happened today, my friends. I went to my local Wal-Mart, where I've been getting the majority of my figs since '95, and casually strolled over to the Star Wars section.....only to find that there was no Star Wars section! I scoured the entire toy isles and nothing! There has always been a little section devoted to Star Wars constantly since '95, and now they are gone! Replaced by.....wait for it.....swimming crap! Is this a sign of things to come? Is Star Wars gone from my WalMart forever? Thats not a good sign, has this happened to anyone else?????

Probably what is happening is that they are going through their "MODS". This usually happens twice a year, once after Xmas (usually Jan/Feb) and once after summer (usually Aug/Sept). The reason that they do this is b/c if the stuff was in the same place all the time, consumers would not be as "inclined" to walk about the store looking at "other" stuff and buying what they really did not need, or did not know they carried. So they change things around a bit. Its aslo used for injecting the new merchandise onto the shelves. New stuff gets made in every catagory and old stuff stops getting made, so in order to put this stuff up in a organised fashion, the "MODS" are done. It happens to every dept. Just hang on and soon they will have a new home:D

Tycho
06-24-2003, 12:41 AM
A lot of good theories out there.

I don't know what this has to do with anything, but I'll toss it out there.

The Star Wars toys have to have mass-audience appeal.

Whatever is out there, EVERYONE HERE (posting in this thread) ALREADY HAS. (that is older figures).

What's on the racks?

1) Teemto Pegules
2) Lott Dodd
3) Endor Rebel Soldier
4) Djas Puhr
5) Taun We
6) Emperor's Royal Guard (occasionally)
7) Jango Pilot (without helmet)
8) Massif w. Geonosian
9) Massif w. Tusken

NOTE: KayBee Toys has a LOT more pegwarmers, but these are the typical ones found at Wal*Mart and Target.

LOOK AT THIS FIGURE LIST ABOVE.

Collectors already have these figures, and army builders (for the figures that apply) have already been purchased.

What is ANY NEW PERSON (especially a kid) going to buy these figures for?

A PRINCIPAL MAIN CHARACTER would sell first to the new collector (because all of us have all these characters) and then the new person could make a display, or if a kid, play with Anakin or Obi-Wan having an adventure fighting these guys.

The stores have to order more Collection 1.

So they sort of are:

1) Destroyer Droids (kind of weak compared to previous versions)

2) Yoda w. Chair - ok, it's a way to get Yoda available since most of us think this is a crappy figure they picked to rehash

3) Republic Gunship Pilot - right on! But where's the Republic Gunships in the stores? Remember when the AT-ST Driver came out 2 years after all the ATST's had been bought off the shelves?

4) Padme Pilot - she goes with what figures? Typho, R2 - they're not out there. Corde? Better watch that one because while it's demanded, she has a great chance of being a pegwarmer as well.

5) Obi-Wan Pilot - alright, he's selling steadily, but the sculpted on headphones and the over-sized softgoods cloak are not excitedly welcomed. And the Jedi Starfighter is also off most racks.

6) Jango - mentioned above, who cannot put his helmet on and take on the look of the serious bad guy, so he's less than exciting, and Slave-One is also off the racks.

7) At KayBees - Han Solo Endor Raid who fights? who fights? OK, well he can sit there with two guys in green talking about which razor gets men their closest shave.

8) Chewie and C-3PO - who even at KayBee, isn't sitting THAT bad.

9) Anakin Tatooine Attack - this figure is not pegwarming that bad either. Anakin sells, because any new collector or kid wants him, and they buy somebody from the first list above for him to fight: a Geonosian, a Tusken, Djas Puhr because he looks like a tough customer, whoever.

10) Darth Maul red linings - well, Maul hasn't been available for a long time, and Qui-Gon can still be found at some Targets, so "the battle of the Dead Guys" can still be recreated. Maul isn't over-pegwarming, but nicely available - a recognizable character for newbies, and a reminder of something we don't want, for the rest of us.

2003 figures?

Well, Obi-Wan Acklay is starting to be around. Not much more than 2 or 3 of him. He could help the Massif w. Geonosian sell.

Dooku's usually just sold out as soon as he's found (Force lightning) He might help Geonosians or even Jango Pilot to sell.

Mace will become a pegwarmer, but there hasn't been enough cases shipped with him in it for that to happen just yet.

Boba Fett will sell out. Who will he fight? Han Endor Raid? Sort of possible...

R2 will start to sit, but not quite yet. R2D2 has actually never really been a pegwarmer in any form though. Maybe the lightsaber launching one was that bad. Who knows, this string-thing might rival that. Good grief I hope not.

Anakin will sell out. He'll take Tuskens, Geonosians, and maybe even Lott Dodd and more with him.

Han will sell out. He's just a good figure. The Hoth 5-pack should be released to time with Han's shelf life, but they already screwed that up.

Chewie will move slightly slower, but likely sell through. Kids will like the firing missle and "creature-beast" (mynock) Maybe he'll lead some Endor Soldiers off the racks?

Padme will sell through - she's just a good figure and very useful, too. Geonosians and Destroyer Droids will accessorize her.

The new Tusken is selling through. You'd think that eventually it'd sit, but it's a great sculpt and even all of us that have Tusken TRIBES at home wanted to add at least one more of this sculpt to our homiee's clan.

The Jedi Droids should sit at some point. It's too soon now. It shouldn't be, but it is.

The Rebel and Imperial army builders will clear and remain hard to find. While the Endor Soldier has been out for some time, there weren't nearly as many troops shown in green as there were in the vests.

Lama Su with 2 figures and a chance to army build Clone Kids is still clearing.

Forget Aayla and Bariss EVER pegwarming! They're going to be hard to find for a while, I'd bet. Especially Aayla. Hasbro better not underestimate her popularity. She can also fight Geonosians and Destroyers.

Yoda and all the Younglings in both packages will keep selling. 2-packs add value, and plus they're cute, and it's still YODA! No other figures available really go with them.

BUT MY THEORY IS THAT COLLECTION 2, SUCCESSFULLY MARKETED, ACCESSORIZES COLLECTION 1 - and the stores that move product will keep a good variety of core characters in stock to keep sales generating.

What do you think?

Anakin2121
06-24-2003, 10:18 AM
Well, Tycho --

All those figures you said were on the shelves (Destroyer Droids, Taun We, Royal Guard, Teemto, Pilot Jango...) are all the only ones I can find here!
And I think you're right, there'll be better sales if there are main characters to accessorize these pegwarmers. Preferably 2003 iterations of these main characters. :)

Mandalorian Candidat
06-24-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Tycho
What do you think?

Sometimes I wonder if you got the Unibomber-manifesto gene, Tycho, due to your endless posts. ;)

I don't think it's a bad idea, what you're proposing. Heck, it wouldn't be any worse than what's going on right now. The way things are being supplied to the pegs isn't working so something needs to be shaken up.

stillakid
06-24-2003, 01:08 PM
No movie...no kids...no cash...no order.

What is on kid's minds these days? Why, what's in front of them everyday of course: Yu-Gi-Oh!, Digimon, Pokemon, Justice League.

I don't think that any type of "conjoining" marketing strategy will work if kids don't browse the (dwindling) Star Wars pegs in the first place. With any luck, the Clone Wars cartoon will fill this media void and put Star Wars closer to the front burner of kids minds along with the other staples of their daily dose of entertainment. Until then, we adult collectors will have to wait it out.

And just for the record one more time...you think it's bad now? Just wait until Episode III has come and gone. With no movie to look forward to, there will be little reason for Hasbro to utilize the full extent of their license. Now is the time to beg for secondary OT and TPM characters that we want. Pre Episode III, during its run, and for several months post, the majority of the pegs will be filled by characters from the last film that will ever be made in the saga. Oh, maybe a couple bones might be thrown out here and there, but the drought will come just as today. First, the kids will come back and buy the new toys. But then, as history shows, their attentions will be lured away to other more daily entertainments. Retailers will stop ordering and distribution will break down. Hasbro will blame the low sales to lack of interest and that will be that. :(

Here's to hopin' that I'm wrong.

Tycho
06-24-2003, 02:17 PM
Well, at least you all see why they come out with the endless main character resculpts - they accessorize sales for the other figures for non-collectors and new-collectors.

I think the Clone Wars toy line idea is brilliant, since it recycles the core group with some new twists and gear we may want:

Anakin
Obi-Wan
Mace
Yoda
Kit Fisto

Durge
Ventress

However, I can think of more figures of some of the same that we already want:

Anakin with his cloak hanging relaxed, normal expression, non-action pose.

Obi-Wan with his cloak hanging relaxed, normal expression, non-action pose.

Kit Fisto with his cloak hanging relaxed, normal expression, non-action pose.

and Luminara and Bariss could fall into that category if you're trying to make a diorama from Palpatine's office and need those figures - and not from the Geonosian arena.

However, I doubt the Kit figure will be relaxed. The Clone Wars toons creator made a big deal about an underwater fight with Kit Fisto, and "swimming Kit" is likely for Hasbro to jump all over a new take on a "kid popular" figure because 8 years of market research has not been long enough to have taught them anybetter. :rolleyes:

I don't know that we need the Yoda, there's 2 on the market now, and the Poncho-Villa vest isn't in character with him, me thinks.

I haven't seen the Mace figure, but I fear that too. They need to get a new basic Mace figure (in Jedi Robes or not) out there. The 1999 Sneak Preview Mace, or the 99 carded version were the best ones. There were no figures of Mace for 2000 or 2001, and then they come back with eyes shut, or major knob in the back. The Deluxe did rock, but it's always bought up while the Force-Flippers sit, thus it was never available "always." The Council 3-pack one looks nice though, so I'm not sure that we'll need another. A "cloack on fire" one-scene-wonder might be cool, but we have the Unleashed like that, and I think it's a little too scene-specific for a mass-marketed 3 3/4" figure. A NORMAL MACE WOULD SELL.

In any case, these figures could deal with the pegwarmers out there -fighting Geonosians and Tuskens or meeting Taun We and the Royal Guards (let alone putting out there a Senate version of Chancellor Palpatine in red from his "I love the Republic. I love Democracy" speech).

However, while they're repacking figures like the best of Han (cantina) Leia (new Likeness) and even recent ones (Jango K.E.),
they could just recard 1999's Mace and make a normal, decent sculpt of Yoda. (I have Yoda and Chian, and am still not satisfied. The vintage Yoda remains the best, save for the headsculpt).

LTBasker
06-24-2003, 03:45 PM
Ya know one thing that might get people buying more Star Wars stuff? PUT IT WHERE IT'S FREAKIN INTERESTING. Sorry. :D But I think the location of where stores put the SW stuff is pretty sad, usually you really have to navigate through the aisles to find it. Actually now it's in a very inconvient spot (a classic spot for this store as they had it through '98-'00) but right in front of the SW figures it has this frickin post that leaves little space to stand in the aisle and look at the figures. Only one side is barely big enough for a cart to get through so I'm sure that really discourages people to stand there long enough to contemplate buying one or more figures if they're newbies to the line.

Dar' Argol
06-29-2003, 01:30 PM
No movie...no kids...no cash...no order.

What is on kid's minds these days? Why, what's in front of them everyday of course: Yu-Gi-Oh!, Digimon, Pokemon, Justice League.

I don't think that any type of "conjoining" marketing strategy will work if kids don't browse the (dwindling) Star Wars pegs in the first place. With any luck, the Clone Wars cartoon will fill this media void and put Star Wars closer to the front burner of kids minds along with the other staples of their daily dose of entertainment. Until then, we adult collectors will have to wait it out.

And just for the record one more time...you think it's bad now? Just wait until Episode III has come and gone. With no movie to look forward to, there will be little reason for Hasbro to utilize the full extent of their license. Now is the time to beg for secondary OT and TPM characters that we want.

And also the EU characters. There is a whole plethora of characters and figures to be made there. But b/c its not "cannon :rolleyes:" no one wants to see it. But just wait, after some time of no more new figures or any old resculpts, you would be interseted if anythign new came out. That's why, along with the secondary OT and TPM characters we also need to plead for EU characters as well.

:eek: OH MY! I'd thought I'd never see the day the Stilla pleaded for anything to do with TPM :eek: