PDA

View Full Version : The new Clonetrooper 3-packs review....

Gonk 1979
06-16-2003, 02:27 AM
....my uber-collecting Star Wars friend just got his 3 pk Clonetroopers off of EBAY (for 60 bucks! yikes!) and.....they blow! I'm a big collector, have over 500 carded figs, and I think these are only worthy if you've got a diorama going on. First off, they have ABSOLUTELY NO ARTICULATION! None. Second, the gun is molded to the figure, so you can't even take it out of their hands! It's basically take the figure out of the package and stand him up in his pre-set pose. Well, 3 figs for $10 (retail), what do you expect. Another problem he has is standing them up. You absolutely need a stand to keep them up, all except for the one who lays on the ground. I don't know, if you are into army builders it's ok, but the figs feel real....cheap. Maybe its the fact that the guns are apart of the mold, I don't know. I will stick to my preview troopers!

mm74md
06-16-2003, 10:37 AM
Yeah, I can't believe people are buying these for more than $10. It's insane!!! I'll pick them up if I can find them at retail. 3 figures for $3.50 w/tax isn't so bad!

JEDIpartner
06-16-2003, 12:14 PM
I have no issue with these for what they are and the price they are offering them for. My issue is when a figure has articulation but is so overly posed that the articultion is moot.

LTBasker
06-16-2003, 01:06 PM
Actually according to Galactic Hunter the standing one seems to have shoulder articulation at least. Whoopdy doo. :rolleyes: They could've at least made their weapons interchangable. I think I'll just pick a couple sets up then, the rest I'll track down some Red Clones for. :D

Val Da Car
06-16-2003, 03:42 PM
wow do these stack up againist the bootleg figs from awhile ago.....see www.amoktime.com for them as well...

Mandalorian Candidat
06-16-2003, 03:57 PM
In other words these are just glorified, high-priced army men, right?

I think I'll wait until the inevitable clearance.

LTBasker
06-16-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Val Da Car
wow do these stack up againist the bootleg figs from awhile ago.....

I dunno, at least the bootlegs had interchangable arms, accurate (and non-attached) weapons and accurate poses. :D

I just wish we could a basic neutral well articulated Clone Trooper figure that's well distributed. Why is that so hard??

jjreason
06-16-2003, 06:14 PM
It's not. Hasbro seems to be so far off course, "sticking to the basics" would be too much for them to handle. 4 packs of well articulated plain white clones would outsell pretty much everything similar right now, people have been clamouring for them since the preview figures came out preposed. Jesus, they must be both deaf and unable to read. Very frustrating.

Hellboy
06-16-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker

I just wish we could a basic neutral well articulated Clone Trooper figure that's well distributed. Why is that so hard??

I couldn't agree with you more LTBasker. You would think Hasbro would realise the demand for such a figure after the success of the CTC Stormtrooper in the Troop Builder 4-packs.

This is the first I've heard of the attached weapons and I can't believe it. :mad:
I was planning on buying multiple packs for opening and now I'll probably only open 1. I was pretty dissapointed after seeing they included a laying down Clonetrooper instead of 3 standing but I figured for $10 I would at least get 2 standing Troopers so its still a good deal. Now I can barely justify opening the one. Sad truly sad. :cry:

tagmac
06-16-2003, 10:05 PM
Has anyone heard anything about the color assortments (blue, green), or when the different colors will be released?

plasticfetish
06-17-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
In other words these are just glorified, high-priced army men, right?
I'm pretty sure this has always been the point. At $10 for a pack of three I could see myself buying them for my son to toss around. (You're right, for $5 on clearance they'll be a better deal.)

Lord knows why they can't put a few stands in there though. If they don't stand on their own ... they do suck, even as army men. (Isn't that the entire point of army men? To simply stand?)

jedi master sal
06-18-2003, 11:36 AM
Take a look at SSG's home page and lo' and behold there is a BLUE Clonetrooper in the tree pack now as well. So that puts us at having either a Yellow, Blue or White "Standing clonetrooper in the three pack. You can bet that a Green one will soon follow then. (Proabably not a Red one though since it was a Saga carded fig.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-18-2003, 11:37 AM
Now there's a picture of the three-pack with a standing blue one. He looks pretty cool. :)

That sucks that there's hardly any articulation and that there's no removable weapons, but they'll look good in dioramas. They still need to rerelease the red clone as a white one like they said . . .

Teeska Mon Eebon
06-18-2003, 12:57 PM
This is what I was afraid of.... well I guess I'll pick one up 1 if I can find it 2 if I find it and it stays long enough to go on clearance...

tagmac
06-18-2003, 10:11 PM
What's the point of putting a yellow clone in there anyway, seeing as how we already had that one carded? I thought the yellow's were only pilots.

Val Da Car
06-19-2003, 05:57 AM
There were Yellow clone troopers and Yellow Clone trooper pilots

Hellboy
06-19-2003, 05:56 PM
The yellow Clone Troopers are the Clone Commanders. :)

Turbowars
06-22-2003, 10:54 AM
So for us variation and Diorama collectors, we will be buying 5 sets. White, Blue, Green, Red and yellow. I can't believe the guns are molded to the figure. Are you sure they arn't just glued on. They remind me of mini Unleashed figures. The guns and sabers are molded on, but I really like that line.

Val Da Car
06-22-2003, 11:14 AM
That's it!!! I am buying all Red Clone troopers so I can repaint them.....look out Walgreens here I come.....even if their figures are $6.99ea it is worth it...instead of the molded 3 pack craptacular.....

Hellboy
06-23-2003, 05:03 PM
I'm so dissapointed in Hasbro for screwing up what could have been a great army builder set that I'm seriously contemplating buying only one for my carded collection and opening none. We shouldn't have to buy multiple packs of crap just to get some ranking Clone Troopers. Why couldn't they have just released an all white pack and then an all standing colored pack with yellow, green, and blue CT's. :mad:

dark_one
06-23-2003, 06:15 PM
I thought I read somewhere that the colored ones had specific poses. Blues only came standing, Greens were kneeling and Yellows were laying. So unless you do your painting, you cant inter-mix ranks side by side in same poses.

Turbowars
06-23-2003, 06:20 PM
Nope, the ranking officers will take the standing pose in the middle. There was a 3 pack with the Blue Clone in the middle and white on the ends on e-bay

KingOfSting
06-23-2003, 07:08 PM
well, how can you be certain what pose the colored troops will be? so far we've seen blue and yellow standing, green crouching and red laying down...although it would make more sense to do the yellow using the fourth mold that weve seen

Turbowars
06-23-2003, 07:16 PM
Certain? I don't think anyone is certain about anything Hasbro does. It's just the word that the ranking Officers will be the standing one. Besides I don't think a Clone officer would be on his beer belly or taking an knee, they are to good for that, but I'm not certain.;)

Hellboy
06-25-2003, 05:08 PM
Well I got my Clonetrooper 3 packs today and I'm not as dissapointed as I thought I'd be. Yes the guns are attached to one hand and the only articulation is at the waist, head, and shoulders but overall I'd say its worth the $10. The nice thing about this pack is that Hasbro gave us all black guns rather than the silver spotted ones we all loved :rolleyes: on the Red Clonetrooper. So if anyone cares here is what I think about each figure:

-The standing CT is for obvious reasons the best of the bunch and looks very cool. He's holding his rifle in the same manner that we saw during the ground battle on Geonosis. The pack is worth buying for this figure alone.

-The laying down CT (sniper) is pretty lame. There isn't many uses for this figure if you're into building dioramas IMO. I don't see the point in having anything more than 1 or 2 of these. He looks a lot like the Stormtroopers from EP. IV did when they were laying down trying to fire under the blast door at Luke and Leia after their "swing to freedom". The other thing I don't like about him is the fact that posing him as a sniper doesn't really fit seeing as how he has a pistol in hand rather than a rifle.

-The kneeling CT is better than I expected. Again I can't really see the use of having multiples of this figure because of the unique pose but overall I like him. I think the pistol looks good with this figure and he does look cool in the Gunships.

Overall a good value :)

Hellboy
06-25-2003, 06:26 PM
One other thing that carded collectors like myself might find interesting is the fact that Hasbro has changed the dimensions of the cards with this line. The new cards are about 1/2 an inch shorter from top to bottom and about a 1/4 inch shorter from side to side. If you hang your figures like wallpaper as I do this might change how you display them since they obviously won't match up to the cards from previous lines. :)

Turbowars
06-25-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Hellboy

Hasbro has changed the dimensions of the cards with this line. The new cards are about 1/2 an inch shorter from top to bottom and about a 1/4 inch shorter from side to side.
So you mean that the cards have changed in size from the old deluxe line. They still might fit in Starcases.

Hellboy
06-25-2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by turbowars
So you mean that the cards have changed in size from the old deluxe line.

Yep. Thats what I used as a comparison.

Hopefully by having less card around the blister it will reduce the chance of finding cards with stress lines and make it much easier to find something in C-9+ condition. It does make me wonder though if the standard figure packages in this line will be smaller as well. :confused:

Jaff
06-25-2003, 11:45 PM
I also saw the Clone trooper three pack, Destroyer Droid launcher and the multi-droid three pack but passed on them due to lack of any articulation. The droid launcher looked kind of neat and the three pack of droids was nice for building, but this stuff is mainly for dioramas.

Adam
06-26-2003, 01:41 AM
Well.. this sucks. I was going to buy several of these, but not any more.

JEDIpartner
06-26-2003, 02:40 PM
I am still hoping for an eventual CT Stormtrooper-type Clone Trooper. I think this was a quick and easy way for Hasbro to please diorama builders like our very own insane Tycho. ;) Again... I have no problem with these as long as there is "different" version coming out in the future. If you really think about it, these Clone Troopers aren't much different (aside from the weapons moulded to their hands) from the Jedi figures that came out at the start of the SAGA line. The legs weren't articulated- just the necks, shoulders and waists (and the possibility of a hand or two).

I think part of the problem is that we were "fine" with ultra-posed figures so Hasblah continued with them. With that being the case, there was no longer any need for leg articulation. I think that, if we had been a little more unanimous in our position on ultra-posed figures, we wouldn't have these issues a year into the new line. Just remember kids... a good number of us said "Yeah! Eeth Koth...! Cool pose!" While that may have been the case at the time- look how his "descenadants" turned out.

mm74md
07-01-2003, 01:57 PM
After a weekend of playing with these things (I have a 3 yr old son so it's ok that I play with my toys!) I have to say I changed my mind. They are pretty cool. Worth the money as they are durable & actually stand up without a stand. I wish the battle droid wasn't the split apart kind. Oh well, $23 for 6 figs isn't such a bad deal afterall

karinations
07-18-2003, 10:53 PM
hmmmm
I don't like this no articulation thing..
It's almost like PVC figures.
Woudl these even be considered figures?
OR like..diorama accessories?
I don't know how i feel about this.
I need to dwell/ponder on this.

-V-

http://www.karinations.com

BRH0224
07-20-2003, 04:18 AM
OK, I guess I'll be the person to like them from the start. I was really wanting these since we first saw pics. They hit my TRU last week and I grabbed the 2 all-white clone packs. Yes, they're pretty much preposed. Yes, the guns are part of the hands. But I, for one, like this.

Standing:
Joints: Below belt, midsection (ball joint), shoulders (cut joint), left wrist (gun hand), neck (ball joint)
If you straighten out the torso he leans to the left, so posing him like he comes is the best way. The right arm actually lines up with the gun and supports it.

Crouching:
Joints: Below belt, midsection (ball joint), shoulders (cut joint), right wrist (gun hand), neck (ball joint)
My favorite out of the 3. By messing with the joints and the angles, you can get a few different poses out of him.

Sniper:
Joints: Midsection (ball joint), shoulders (cut joint), right wrist (gun hand), neck (ball joint)
Weakest pose of the 3. I'm glad he's getting replaced by the macro-binocular-holding version. The left hand cradles the right like the newest Rebel Fleet Trooper's hand does.

Pros: Molded-in guns. Yes, you read that correctly. I like this feature. I can't tell you how many times my preview clones and clone commander have dropped theirs, since I cut off the rubber bands. And then getting them to stay again was a chore and a half. The guns are solid black, not clear blue with a black spray and some silver specks.

Cons: Paint aps. They can be pretty weak around the joints. And the lack of detail on the helmet is just crap. They painted the black parts, but not the gray, and not even all of the black. And the soft plastic. It's kinda that rubbery plastic they started using on accessories. One clone can stand fine, but the other had it's legs a little askew and now it needs a stand. I'm trying to swap the arms from Crouch and Sniper so Sniper can be looking down the barrel and support the gun like he should, and Crouch can have a cop-esque ready pose or maybe a shooting down pose, but I can't get the frigging arms out! I heat them up, but the plastic just bends and stretches as I pull.

Misc: Why do the clones have different gun hands? The preview clones were right handed and the new standing one is left handed. Seems a little odd to me.

Turbowars
07-20-2003, 09:18 AM
Sniper, weakest pose of the 3. I'm glad he's getting replaced by the macro-binocular-holding version. The left hand cradles the right like the newest Rebel Fleet Trooper's hand does.
Whats this about the sniper being replaced with the binoculars, I must have missed something at the Con?

BRH0224
07-20-2003, 08:05 PM
Yeah, RebelScum and Galactic Hunter have articles and carded shots of the new color packs and the new sculpt.

http://www.rebelscum.com/article.asp?i=43980

http://www.**************.com/absolutenm/templates/full_article_template_1.asp?articleid=1487&zoneid=2

jedi master sal
07-21-2003, 11:45 AM
Whats this about the sniper being replaced with the binoculars, I must have missed something at the Con?

You can go over to this thread:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?p=266701

to see all of the color variants and the yellow and white clone with binoculars.

Also check out the rumored case distribution! It's going to get VERY UGLY!!!

BTW, I don't mind the prone one as much. If you just flip him over onto his back, he looks like a dead clone on the battle field.

I'm most displeased with the kneeling one. I don't recall at all seing anyone of the clones on their knees. Two standing and 1 Prone would have been just fine thank you very much Hasbro....

yngadult
08-13-2003, 04:13 PM
I guess I'll have to buy more sets to get all the variations. Wow, Hasbro knows how to milk this one.

kool-aid killer
08-14-2003, 09:03 AM
Im hoping i will be able to find a green and yellow pack. But after reading Jedi Master Sal's breakdown of the case this could be very difficult. But I was able to get the blue clone earlier this week. I dont mind that they are preposed. I think that if set up on the Gunship they would look awesome.

yngadult
08-14-2003, 01:14 PM
It's been a while, but what do the color desginations represent?

jedi master sal
08-14-2003, 03:50 PM
It's been a while, but what do the color desginations represent?

Yellow=Commander

Red=Captain

Blue=Lieutenant

Green=Sergeant

Whiet=Grunt or Private

jedi master sal
08-15-2003, 10:52 AM
The rumor of case assortment at least concerning the Blue clones and Jedi three packs are wrong.

The correct case assortment concerning both the blue clone pack and jedi pack are as follows (these are in the SAME case, BTW)

2 Clonetroopers packs (With blue officer each)
2 seperatist droids
1 destroyer droid launcher
1 Jedi pack

This is a heck of a lot better than what was rumored.

Just though you fellas would like to know. And especially that Hasbro did something right as far as the case assortment goes.

Now if they do this for the green set (having one jedi set in that case as well AND having a case assortment with 2 yellows and 1 Jedi, we'll all be happy campersm because these will become "relatively" easy to find.

I highly recommend for those of you who have not shopped at K-mart for awhile because of their lack of product to go back. This is were I found my blue clone. That one purchase has made me believe in K-mart again.

Good Luck fellas, I hope every deserving collector gets at least 1 set of these!

DarthChuckMc
08-15-2003, 11:00 AM
I found 2 cases last night.....

The ratio is the same for both.

2x blue clones
2x droid launcher
1x droid army
1x Jedi....no clones on insert

2x green clones
2x droid launcher
1x droid army
1x Jedi.....clones on insert

jedi master sal
08-15-2003, 03:43 PM
I found 2 cases last night.....

The ratio is the same for both.

2x blue clones
2x droid launcher
1x droid army
1x Jedi....no clones on insert

2x green clones
2x droid launcher
1x droid army
1x Jedi.....clones on insert

Oh, this is good, this is VERY good.

I'll be broke for sure, but I'm gonna have a tons of clonetroopers. I think with all of the variations out there right now, I'm upward of 70 clonetroopers (and I still haven't gotten the 3packs with the green, yellow and red officers)