PDA

View Full Version : Ever get buyers remorse?

aikman8_1999
06-16-2003, 03:40 AM
Im not talking about the 'I paid 10 when it went for clearance at 2' type of remorse.
Im reffering to the 'looked good in the store ',impulse buy that once home , realized the value wasnt there.

My 2 examples:
That horrible r2d2 from this year, ive gotten more value from happy meal toys

The walmart 2 packs of trash scenes. I only saw them once and got em at walmart, roughly $40 for the pair I think. For 4 rehashed figs with a base and cardboard backdrops. In hindsight, if i saw these again , together in a large box I would have laughed at the value and walked away, but for some reason it didnt dawn on me .

Im sure im not the only one , am I?

Beast
06-16-2003, 03:50 AM
It happens sometimes. You just have to learn to not be a completist, and just buy what you like. :)

By the way. The Trash Compactor Scenes are not rehashed figures. They feature all new sculpting. Rehashes would be the use of old parts to make a new figure. Like the AT-ST Driver and StormTrooper in the TRU 4-Pack. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jayspawn
06-16-2003, 10:33 AM
JarJar is right. I felt a little remorse a few weeks ago when I found 2 Sneak Peak Clones at TRU. I bought them but but felt a little bad afterwards. Then I thought, "I need more Clones anyways, why should I feel bad?"

Rogue II
06-16-2003, 10:43 AM
I don't have too many items I regret buying, maybe a couple extra figures I didn't really need, like POTF2 Slave Leia. I never saw the Trash Compactor sets. If I did, I would have probably bought them.

There are a few things I regret not buying, like the only time I saw Han w/ Tauntaun. I also wish I bought the Rebel Pilot Cinema Scene when I saw it on clearance for $8 and the Vader and Yoda Complete Galaxies for $5 each.

aikman8_1999
06-16-2003, 10:47 AM
That was going to be my next question,'what do u regret not getting'

My thoughts are basically if its star wars and i see it at retail i need to grab it immediately or else I may never see it again.

This is what unfortunately leads to a few occasional regrets, because i cant wait and decide well maybe i want this , its buy it or forget it

Rogue II
06-16-2003, 11:11 AM
Well, the thing is, the Rebel Pilots and the Complete Galaxies were sitting there for the longest time, but I managed to convince myself that I didn't need them. Then, when ATOC came out, there has been quite a drought in OT figures. Since I decided not to collect PT items, I started army building and customizing. I wish I bought those extra Rebel Pilots. In hindsight, the Vader and the Yoda were just kinda neat. I've seen them on E-bay for pretty cheap, so I might pick them up.

One other thing I didn't buy was the MM Coin figures. I hear the C-3PO is pretty nice. Oh well.

aikman8_1999
06-16-2003, 11:16 AM
with so much product being made ya cant get everything, its best to be a little more critical i think. I have definitley 'forced a few purchases for no other reason than 'i havent seen anything new in a while'. For the most part im happy with everything but a few ones i regret and a few i repent

mm74md
06-16-2003, 11:42 AM
FAO Fambaa. I like it, but I paid way too much for it!

aikman8_1999
06-16-2003, 11:45 AM
thats why i never got it, i had the pre-remorse before i got to the checkout line

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-16-2003, 07:57 PM
The R2 is okay. It looks nice while flying, apart from the lack of the blue stripe and the position of the legs. The damn C-3PO-puller got stuck up his bum wih a wad of string so I got a new one. Now, the string comes out but the flyin' feature don't work. *sigh* That's my least favorite Star Wars thing I own. :dead:

bobafrett
06-17-2003, 12:46 AM
Well, I'd have to say the Spider Droid that they rip you off for $9.99 for a piece of wind up walking garbage. There are a very few SW items that I regret buying. I collect what I collect, and if I don't like it, I'm not going to buy it. I have tried to become a completeist on the 3 3/4 and 12 inch figures.

There are a lot of things that I regret taking a pass on, not because of the value, but merely because they are neat collectibles that I failed to see when I was younger.

I almost grabbed the Jar Jar Binks toy display case that they had at KFC. The counter was empty, and the employees were in the back, no customers in the store. I don't regret not taking it, and eventually I even offered money for it, only to be told it had to be returned. Maybe I should have done a grab and run with it.

plasticfetish
06-17-2003, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by bobafrett
Maybe I should have done a grab and run with it.
I would have paid money just to see you running down the street with it ... but then I would have regretted it.

I would have to say that there have certainly been many times when I've said ... "Oh, I didn't need that. Where am I going to put that now?" Since Ep.1 I've really tried to be selective ... but, you know, it's kind of hard. Not so much lately, because we haven't had much selection. I do know that I have a limited amount of room for display and storage, so if new stuff comes in, some old stuff has to go out. I've had regrets about both having sold things and about things that I didn't buy when I saw them in store. But at the same time I try to enjoy what I do have and I know that the stuff I want is going to be "out there" for a while ... I can always find it later.

mark2d2
06-17-2003, 04:28 AM
I used to every now and then.

Now I only pick up exactly what I want.
What I really want. . .

I buy less, but am more satisfied.

I can't wait for my R5 to arrive this week. . . :]

Darkross
06-17-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by mark2d2
Now I only pick up exactly what I want.
What I really want. . .

I buy less, but am more satisfied.

I am the same way...the past two years have been pretty good for me as I only collect OT stuff...I've been able to slowly catch-up on the older stuff. I also managed to get two Tie Interceptors, Tie Bombers, and Snowspeeders all at retail. I also managed to get a Skiff that I missed. So all in all I've been pretty satisfied too. The only thing that I regret was paying $35.00 for Leia Hoth in a specialty store...could have saved my money for something else.

mark2d2
06-17-2003, 02:39 PM
The TIE BOMBER was and still is by far my favorite Star Wars vehicle to date.
That obscure ship just really, really rocks. It's just so dang cool . . .

Old Fossil
06-17-2003, 04:50 PM
Why, oh why didn't I get that Tatooine Skiff I saw at Target years ago???

I paid $20 for a Han Stormtooper (Froot Loops mail-in) at a comic store, about five years ago. I still feel like a fool for that one...

Teeska Mon Eebon
06-17-2003, 06:06 PM
Yeah I fir some odd reason passed on the Tatooine Skiff, Y-Wing, and B-wing at target each of them for 15 Bucks each :( Why'd I have to stop wanting to collect at that time :( :( :( :(

Kidhuman
06-18-2003, 12:16 AM
I more or less have non-buying regrets. I am too selective when it comes to this stuff. At the same time I want to buy everything, and at the same time I don't want to spend money. The one thing I am glad I got was the X-mas 2 pack. I looked at it and my wife said to get it. I told her I don't really want it and she said phooey, I will buy it for you. I love that woman.

bigbarada
06-18-2003, 12:35 AM
Anybody here have seller's/trader's remorse? Where you sold or traded something, then regretted it later?

I feel that way about my vintage Imperial Shuttle.:(

jedi master sal
06-18-2003, 12:01 PM
Yeah, I sold an extra Watto's box. I wish I'd have kept it now. Same with a Boba Fett 300.

I'm sure there's more instances. I just can't think of anymore at the moment.

I am looking to get rid of an extra Tie Bomber (POTJ packaging).

scronkey
06-18-2003, 11:23 PM
The only real remorse I get is when I get excited on eBay late at night, and in the morning realise that I have about $100 of bids...

Thats when I start praying that most will be outbid, but I've been caught out once or twice... :(

bobafrett
06-19-2003, 02:35 AM
Yes, I've had that same experience on eBay when after I've placed my bid, wondering why I bid on a particular item. I end up hoping to be outbid, but it only happens about half the time.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-20-2003, 11:51 PM
Well there have been some things in the past that I missed out on getting, but since this thread is about buying things that you later regretted, I will mention my most recent case, involving the Geonosis Playset and the Republic Gunship. Basically I saw the two together on the shelves, sometime in December. Of course the choice I had to make involved getting only one and passing on the other. I remember thinking that it would be nice to own a playset (other than the numerous Micro Machine ones that I have) but I went with the Gunship, partly because it was almost $10 cheaper.

Well, both sat on the shelves for a month or longer. I habitually passed on the playset for financial reasons. Then it disappeared. Now of course with Star Wars collecting in a lull, I have the money to get one but there is nary one to be found. And the bad part was I saw two Gunships on clearance at a Wal-Mart for something like $16. Not a major regret, but one nevertheless.

Bosskman
06-21-2003, 08:54 AM
I paid $70 US for R2 with Holo Leia when it was hard to get, only to be able to get him a few months later for 14. Since then I have had no qualms about witing for a few months to get figures. I don't regret much of my spending though. We hardly ever get new figures here in Canada at retail so inflated internet prices are the norm for me. I do sorta regret buying all those micro machines things back in the great lull of 98-99. (just prior to and after the glut of TPM stuff. I bought almost every micro machine and action fleet I could find, only to get rid of it ALL. I probably spent $700 bucks on all that. I'm always temtet to buy the lego stuff too.

Jargo
06-23-2003, 08:47 AM
I regret ever buying a load of action fleet stuff that I now have ruined and trashed in the attic. I regret buying the royal starship. What a huge stonking waste of space that is. One shelf all to itself and no way to break it down and store it properly. I regret buying two N1 fighters to go with it and I regret buying two Y-wings and 2 Skiffs, I regret buying extra beasts and about 100 figures i don't need that are lying in my box for customising in various states of disassemblement if that's a word.
I regret buying a lot of stuff when there are other toy lines i like that I've ignored for this collection.
Since I've stopped getting in a fluster at the release of every figure I've been able to susccesfully comp0lete (almost) a LOTR figure collection. I'm currently enjoying those 6 inch figures much more than my star wars stuff. In fact i'm clearing away some stuff to make way for my LOTR collection. Star Wars is pretty much dead for me now. I'll be trading off some stuff soon for more LOTR.

Dark Marble
06-23-2003, 05:59 PM
I think my regret comes from the saga chewbacca cloud city escape. I was working at KB at the time and was good friends with the managers. We were one of the first stores to get the chewbacca and at the time it was one to a case. We got one case. So the manager calls me and tells me we got the case so I say hold the chewy for me! No can do, my fiance (and co-manager) is going to buy it. So I rush down to the store to see her ring it up in front of me and say "how much will you give me for it." I should have said nothing, but I ended up giving her $20 for it. Now they are everywhere for $4. So stupid.

As for not buying something. I would have to say the clone trooper speeder bikes. I found these several times at several Targets. I only got one, but I wanted two or three for gunships. At the time I had stopped collecting and passed on the gunships. Now they are no where to be found. And soon I will have 3 gunships. So stupid.:(

InsaneJediGirl
06-23-2003, 11:30 PM
The only remorse I really have is not buying that R2-D2 with Holographic Leia.Saw it in a Target long,long ago..they actually had 3 of them.Being a new collector,and not knowing they were rare,I passed on them at the time figuring I'd see more.Never saw anymore sadly.