PDA

View Full Version : Cool stuff happening in my neighborhood!

RooJay
06-16-2003, 10:44 PM
Right at this very moment there is a movie filming not two blocks from my house. It's an independent film about the Zodiac serial murders that took place around Vallejo (my home town here) in the sixties, starring Philip Baker Hall (Magnolia, Talented Mr. Ripley, Bruce Almighty), Robin Tunney (Empire Records, The Craft, The In-Laws), Rory Culkin (ya know...Macauley's little bro - the kid from Signs?) and Justin Chambers (from the Wedding Planner and The Musketeer - both horrible, horrible movies, by the way). I was actually standing not ten feet away from Rory Culkin and Robin Tunney nearly bumped into me on the sidewalk. :happy: Pretty exciting! I'm feeling a bit starstruck right now, even though several movies have filmed here in the past (including Tucker: the Man and His Dream, produced by our friend Mr. Lucas!) - most recently Metro, starring Eddie Murphy, Jack, starring Robin Williams, Sphere, starring Dustin Hoffman and Sharon Stone, and just last week, Fifity First Kisses, starring Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore!
Me, my aunt and little cousin, my brother and my mom were the only civilians hangin' around and no one seemed to mind; oddly mellow on the set. My mom's actually down there right now trying to ask how we can get involved (she tends to be more than a little bit nosy and really seems to enjoy meddling in other peoples work)! Maybe I'll get lucky and have my big break! :eek: Wish me luck!:happy:

Kidhuman
06-16-2003, 11:35 PM
Sounds pretty cool. I havent seen a movie being shot since I left NYC. Good luck on getting inthe flick.

RooJay
06-16-2003, 11:36 PM
Thanks, my mom's been down there quite a long time now...I'm beginning to worry...;)

sith_killer_99
06-17-2003, 12:53 AM
WOW, they're doing a new film on the Zodiac!?!?!

How wierd is that? Living in the Vallejo area? You got the Zodiac thing, and didn't a few of the Charles Manson (Family) murders take place out there?

I can't imagine living in that kinda chaos, movies filmed every few years, stars running around, chaotic history. It must all seem a bit surreal sometimes, and exciting.:crazed:

BTW, tell Robin I said hi....grrrr, what a babe.;)

bobafrett
06-17-2003, 01:24 AM
Going for your 15 minutes of fame there RooJay? I got a two second shot in "Ferris Bueller's day off" in the parade scene. The coolest part was passing Matthew Broderick on our way to the set from the train station. Me and my friend were the only 2 people except for Mr. Broderick and another older man he was talking to.

RooJay
06-17-2003, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
WOW, they're doing a new film on the Zodiac!?!?!

How wierd is that? Living in the Vallejo area? You got the Zodiac thing, and didn't a few of the Charles Manson (Family) murders take place out there?

I can't imagine living in that kinda chaos, movies filmed every few years, stars running around, chaotic history. It must all seem a bit surreal sometimes, and exciting.:crazed:

BTW, tell Robin I said hi....grrrr, what a babe.;)

I believe you may be right about that Manson thing, and actually, even though my neighborhood is actually very pleasant and peaceful, a police officer was murdered about five houses down from mine just a couple years ago and an armored car guard was killed during a robbery at a bank down the street a few years back.:eek: :(
Aside from that stuff, my town has to be about the best in the world.;) It's the only city in the country that was founded and designed to be a state capital (even though it wasn't quite ready enough at the time, and the state legislature was moved to the slightly more developed Sacramento after just a couple sessions). It was also named after, and served as the home of the Commandante-General of all California in 1838.
Back on the subject of movies (why I'd hoped this was the right forum for my topic), my town was also the boyhood home of Cliff "Spider-Man's Uncle Ben" Robertson, and also home of Raymond "Perry Mason" Burr during his early childhood and home to his mother up until her death.
I've also very, very recently found out that the movie The Blackout Murders starring Ashley Judd, Samuel L. Jackson, Andy Garcia, David Strathairn and Russell Wong recently wrapped filming here (they must've snuck that one in under the radar)! Good thing they didn't let me know about it - God only knows what lengths I would've gone to to meet Sam Jackson!

I remember when the production for Tucker was in town, I got to see Jeff Bridges do his thing from a bit of a distance. I also was lucky enough to catch Coppola at work. It was quite bizarre - he came walking out onto the street where they were filming, jacket over his shoulders, beret (?!) cocked ever so slightly to the side. His assitant comes running up behind him and quickly unfolds his director's chair, gently lifts the jacket from his shoulders and places it on the chair back before Mr. Coppola sits down to do his job. :crazed: VERY cliche and stereotypical, I though, and VERY surreal! I remember all the buzz that Lucas was actually there visiting the set, but that he was sitting in one of the trailers. I waited very patiently for a chance to see him, but my family dragged me away before he made the scene.:(

RooJay
06-17-2003, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by bobafrett
Going for your 15 minutes of fame there RooJay? I got a two second shot in "Ferris Bueller's day off" in the parade scene. The coolest part was passing Matthew Broderick on our way to the set from the train station. Me and my friend were the only 2 people except for Mr. Broderick and another older man he was talking to.

15 minutes?! I'm shooting for a good hour and a half, at least!;)

I'm actually registered with a casting company in San Fran. I've gotten notices for casting for the Matrix, but ended up having to work on most of the good days I would have had a shot at; although I almost did show up with my car as an extra for the freeway chase sequence (don't know why I didn't), and might actually have made it into the Zion celebration/orgy-dance scene if not for the fact that I don't look as ethnic as they were looking for. I also got notices for The Hulk - one in particular I would have loved to been chosen for, but I chickened out since they were wanting people who were willing to shave their heads into a military style (thinking back on that one, my hair pretty much was in a military style already!); I could've been one of the soldiers who gets squasked by the Hulk!:eek: I've even recently received a notice for background extras for scenes in American Wedding, but passed because I thought it was rather absurd that they were filming beach scenes on a rainy day in 40-45 degree weather - didn't seem like my idea of fun.

...Someday maybe. Someday...

Anybody else have any stories of brushes with fame?

Dr Zoltar
06-17-2003, 01:05 PM
I was almost in The Ring. It was filmed in a rural area of western Washington. I went to the extras casting call in downtown Seattle, but the line was huge. After standing in line and it not moving for an hour and a half, I had to leave. I found out later that a good portion of the scenes filmed with the extras were edited out of the movie.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-17-2003, 01:55 PM
I was an extra in a made-for-cable movie called "Portrait of a White Marriage." It starred Martin Mull and Fred Willard. They were filming it in SoCal, but it took place in Ohio somewhere. The scene I was in was a town parade so they shot it in downtown Whittier, CA, which kind of looks like a small town. The script called for a high school band, so they hired ours (I played snare drum) because we had a higher percentage of white people than other high school bands. You can see me on camera for about 0.8 seconds.

I think in an earlier thread I linked myself to Kevin Bacon in about five people. :)

bobafrett
06-17-2003, 09:41 PM
After getting my 2 frame appearance in Ferris Bueller's day off, I met an extra casting agent at a hotel my mom was working at. I sent in a picture of myself, and was called to be an extra in a movie called "Let's get Harry" with Robert Duvall and Glen Frey. I showed up and we waited for about an hour, but they said it was to overcast to shoot the scene. I made $50 for standing around for an hour. If I would have been used in a scene, I would have made more. I was also called to be an extra in a football movie with Goldie Hawn, and one of the Teen Wolf movies. Sadly I had to turn them both down because of work.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-18-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by bobafrett
I was also called to be an extra in a football movie with Goldie Hawn

Was that Wildcats?

bobafrett
06-18-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
Was that Wildcats?

Yeah, I think that was it. She plays a high school football coach, which I think was part of a bet between 2 males, one who bet that a female couldn't be a winning football coach. Don't remember the plot exactly, but I think I'm close. Some of the scenes were shot at a H.S. football field here in Illinois. So was Lucas, which had a young Winona Ryder and Charlie Sheen.

RooJay
06-19-2003, 02:35 PM
My mom managed to get Robin Tunney's autograph yesterday; I'm here visiting (where I usually come to use the computer) and she's at work right now so I haven't heard the story yet; though I'm sure a pretty good one exists (knowing my mom). I'd post a pic of it, but I'm not sure it's appropriate - I noticed my mom had one of those women's fashion magazines laying around and it just happened to have a pic of the lovely Ms. Tunney in the buff in it (naughty bits covered up of course)! I thought it was pretty strange to find that in a women's mag, but there it was, and sure enough - my mom went down and got it signed. It's actually very tasteful (one wouldn't expect any full nudity in a ladies magazine, anyway), very artful with nothing too graphic showing. I'd be willing to post if one of the mods were to give the okay.

For anyone interested, the movie being filmed in my neighborhood is called In Control of All Things, and is being directed by a guy named Alex Bulkley. It's an indie and is currently looking for a distributor.

James Boba Fettfield
06-19-2003, 08:35 PM
I don't know about that pic, RooJay. Maybe you could send it to JT via the PM and see what he says about it. I'd give the ok after I see it, but I don't want to give the ok to something that might rub wrong with some other people.