PDA

View Full Version : How do you want to see a Twin Pod Cloud Car Pilot released?

Tycho
06-17-2003, 01:32 AM
The twin pod cloud car is the last main-stream, or commonly available Classic Star Wars vehicle made for the vintage line, that has not been re-released with a modern update.

Also, out of the 15 or so vintage Kenner figures that have not been redone since Hasbro has held the modern license, the Cloud Car Pilot remains as falling into this category.

I remember the old figure was actually quite a good sculpt and had a more modern look to him even for the time. He included a commlink besides a blaster, giving him unique and cool accessories.

The old mold for the vehicle is pretty good for what you can do with this ship, however, I'm in the camp that would like firing missles to be added, so long as they are red, like the Cloud Car's laser blasts across the Millennium Falcon's bow, and so long as they are well-hidden in the cannon-port routing on either side of the craft. Maybe new engine detail would also be cool on the ship as well.

Meanwhile, I voted for the craft coming with 2 figures, of which I hope would include both a white and a black pilot. The sculpts need not differ greatly at all, so Hasbro doesn't have to increase the cost for a second pilot, too much - they both won't require skin tone paint on their hands, as they both would be wearing pilots' gloves.

I also hope they'll keep with tradition, and give each pilot a blaster and a commlink like the old Kenner ones came with - even though they really wouldn't need handheld commlinks, since the ship would have a communication system to reach back to base on Cloud City. I'm simply just nostalgic.

Anyway, we've heard rumors it would be last year, then this year. Let's tell Hasbro a) if we want this ship, and b) how we'd like them to "cook it up" for us.

Vote now!

mark2d2
06-17-2003, 03:16 AM
I've been posting about how bad I wanna see this baby
re-released for a long, long time . . .

Like the Sandcrawler, it's a toy that I never got way back
when I was the size of a jawa, and I still want it bad.

Bring it on, Hasbro. We're waiting.

sith_killer_99
06-17-2003, 06:58 AM
Well, I'm a fan of the idea that all the vintage figures should get a re-make for the modern line on their own card. I also like the idea of getting a figure with your vehicle. So this was kind of a no brainer for me.:D

Rogue II
06-17-2003, 07:29 AM
With one pilot included, and a pilot with a second head sculpt carded...just like we did with the Bespin Guard/Freeze Chamber.

Besides, Army Builders and Carded Collectors will complain if they don't get get a carded figure.

zeroplate
06-17-2003, 09:11 AM
i have fond memories of the original cloud car, but very little interest in seeing the vehicle re-released. i do think it would be nice to remake all of the old figures, so the pilot carded would be okay, but it wouldn't make much sense to have a pilot with no ship to fly.

frankly, i'd rather not support the 'two pilots with different head sculpts' idea because people (especially here) will just moan that the pilots are the too much the same, hasbro isn't doing enough to please us, blah blah blah.

it was always a neat looking vehicle, but definitely second tier.

Darkross
06-17-2003, 10:26 AM
A Cloud Car would be cool. I'd buy two of them if they were decent re-hashes.

Does anyone have a picture of a cloud car pilot "the actual character" seen in ESB?

Mandalorian Candidat
06-17-2003, 10:38 AM
I fall into the "I don't care" camp. Make it or don't make it, whatever. It doesn't interest me. Hasbro is having enough trouble getting just the figures on the pegs. Let them focus on that for a while.

darthcow
06-17-2003, 11:22 AM
I voted "NO", if you want one you can get them on ebay for 10-15 bucks loose and if it was made new they would want 19.99 or 29.99 depending on how many figures they release with the ship. Id rather see them focus on playsets like the Battle Arena. Give me a new better Death star

karinations
06-17-2003, 11:32 AM
Give me a new better Death star

Totally.
And that whole thing about they take up too much space and they don't sell,blah blah blah,make it in sections.
Like they kind of half assed did in the beginning of the POTF2 line.
Just make like..good ones instead.
And include a figure with each piece maybe.
Detention block,trash compactor,power core,hanger.
And make them connect like the old micro collection.
That's the best way to do it.
Trying to do a Death Star in one box unless they went with the old mold would be bad.
Even using the old mold would suck but that's the only way i could think of them getting a version in one box.
The Palitoy one is cool becuase it's rare,other than that,it's a piece of crap too.

-V-

http://www.citizenv.com

LusiferSam
06-17-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
I fall into the "I don't care" camp. Make it or don't make it, whatever. It doesn't interest me.

I'm afraid I have to agree. Would I buy a new cloud car, yes. But seeing is how the vintage one was so lame, I think Hasbro could only improve it by re-releasing it.

Imperial Loyalist
06-17-2003, 12:49 PM
I am highly intrigued by the idea of releasing an updated cloud car. Very cool item I never got as a kid. It needs atleast one figure with the vehicle.

Whats really got me interested is that I do not believe a picture exists of what an actual cloud car pilot looks like from the set.

If Hasbro was looking for an idea about involving the public and giving us a cool figure people will buy, how about this:

- Open a competition to anyone in the world to design a new cloud car action figure. Either drawing, sculpt or someother artistic rendition of what the fans think this figure should look like

- Select the 20 best and put tham on the internet sight

- and have an internet vote!!

The prize is having your figure be the hasbro cloud car action figure mass produced for public release.

It could work with the proper organization put in place by Hasbro and it would be (in my mind) cool.

dr_evazan22
06-17-2003, 01:54 PM
I voted for 1 pilot included and another carded. The reason for this is that the quality of the sculpt is usually not as high for the pack-ins, and if there are two of them?

This is onw of those I never had as a kid, so bring it on!

Old Fossil
06-17-2003, 03:40 PM
I owned one back in the day. It was a fun ship! I've been toying with the idea of getting a vintage one off EBay, but I would definitely be interested in a new one, especially with two pilots w/different head sculpts. Hasbro could make it look really nice in a window box package, like the TIE Bomber.

The Cloud Car was one of the coolest ships of the old line!

Tycho
06-17-2003, 03:52 PM
A contest for designing the Cloud Car Pilots?

Hmmm. Is it just me or didn't the Cloud Car Pilots look a lot like the Tonnika Sisters. Yeah...that's right. They did. They looked exactly like them. Yeah...

Gee. I hope I win the design a Cloud Car Pilot contest ;)

El Chuxter
06-17-2003, 03:54 PM
Great, Tycho. Now you've done it! By saying that the pilots look like the Tonnikas, you've given Hasbro the perfect excuse not to make them! :D

(Have the different folks at LFL and Hasbro ever gotten their stories straight about why they supposedly can't make the sisters, or did they finally come clean and just say they don't want to?)

Kidhuman
06-17-2003, 06:59 PM
I voted for yes, with a pilot included and a second head sculpt carded. i have been wanting one of these for years. I never had a vintage one so I really want one bad. I didn't nuy the remake of it either. I am glad I didn't because I heard it refered to as the celery mobile with the carrot man.

Turbowars
06-17-2003, 07:57 PM
I voted for the ship with one pack in and one on a basic card for the reasons stated already. No matter what they do or how many figures are packed into the box, the price will still be 29.99.

WesleySr
06-17-2003, 08:36 PM
I voted for with 2 pilots included, but I don't care either way. I wouldn't mind it including 1 with another sculpt carded like the Bespin playset, just as long as they make it. I just want the cloud car w/ 2 different pilots. Either way, so far 75% of the votes want it with either 2 pilots included or 1 included and 1 carded. That tells me that there is definitely a market for it. So please, HASBRO GIVE US A CLOUD CAR.

Devo
06-17-2003, 08:47 PM
I'm happy for Hasbro to make whatever vehicle was in the films and particularly one from The Empire Strikes Back, the pinnacle of the entire saga in my book. And sure give us two pilots, i'll pay for it. Just for gods sake stop releasing the vehicles as exclusives that most of us will never find!! I'm bloody sick of missing out on cool items because Hasbro decide not to put them to general retail....why why why? Can someone explain what is behind these lamentable decisions to limit the amount of people a signature item like the Imperial Shuttle with all its amazing diorama potential will find its way to??!!

plasticfetish
06-17-2003, 08:57 PM
Great idea. The ship and 2 pilots.
There's no reason why a pilot(s) can't be sold on a card also.
The more the better.

I'm not sure I understand this idea of how by making this one vehicle it takes Hasbro "focus" off of making other things. I think if they wanted to, they could handle more than one idea at a time. (Well, maybe.)

WesleySr
06-17-2003, 09:53 PM
Amen to the release of the Cloud Car as a non-exclusive. I am still trying to get ahold of a Y-Wing and a B-Wing. There wasn't even a Target in West Virginia when the Y-Wing was released.

bigbarada
06-18-2003, 12:11 AM
I voted for the vehicle only with a separate carded pilot. Just like the vintage line. I don't like the vehicle pack-in figures since they are usually low-grade crap when compared to the regular carded figures. If Hasbro packages the pilots separately then they will have to do what they did to the POTJ Bespin Guard: go out of their way on the detailing and accessories so the figure can sell without the vehicle.

If the figure is just a pack-in, then we can expect a half-arsed, kit-bashed, poorly painted excuse for a figure. Just compare the Carbon Freeze Chamber Bespin Guard and the POTJ carded Bespin Guard to see what I am talking about.

jjreason
06-18-2003, 08:49 AM
I care most about the ship, but agree w bigb in terms of quality of pack in figures. I voted for one pack in w a carded one available as well, but I'd like them to be comparable. in terms of detail.

As far as vintage figures go, the old CCP would nearly fit in with the new stuff. Great figure (as was the old TIE Pilot, whom I got on the same day as my CCP, oddly enough). Maybe I'll break down and get a vintage ship w 2 old pilots and call it even. Nostalgia is a great thing, especially when it's still reasonably priced like these pieces.

bobafrett
06-18-2003, 09:49 AM
I'd like to see at least one pilot with the Twin Pod Cloud Car, and maybe a second one carded with an Ugnaught 2 pack.

aikman8_1999
06-18-2003, 10:47 AM
Small, fairly cool ship, why not, they have redone most everything else.
Will it sell? Probably not.
Is there a clamoring for it? No.

[...
- and have an internet vote!!

Ouch, lets not involve the 'fans' internet vote ever again.

So far the fans choices have been catering only to the super obscure.

Anyone that sees that sketchtrooper that isnt an 'insider' is gonna think the line has gone the way of batman and his firefighting outfit.

JediTricks
06-18-2003, 03:30 PM
The Cloud Car is one of the few vintage pieces I have, and it's piloted by 2 CC pilot figures. This are nice pieces, but that figure is a mega-nobody and I can't imagine needing a single carded version no matter how much updating the figure would get. The guy is a blur in the film and his look is a little strange for ESB I think. 2 of this figure would make a good pack-in, especially since this vehicle is really basic and lightweight, so 2 figures would add more value than 1. In fact, I'd really like to see a resculpt of Lobot thrown in as well, one without a ridiculous action pose like the POTF2 version has.

As for the vehicle itself, the canopies need reworking, their hinges are too prone to breakage. I'm anti-firing-missiles on toys and this would be no exception - if I thought Hasbro could add it without making it oversized, ugly, or intrusive on the rest of the toy, I wouldn't mind... but their track record could be better with these things so I'd rather not encourage that sort of thing unless it comes off perfectly. The vehicle does need something else though, and it's got plenty of room for it since it's so hollow. I'm thinking an opening engine compartment with interior details, control panels inside the cockpits, maybe the front of one of the cars could swing open to reveal the technologies inside. Another thing is that it needs a good paintjob, something beyond the bland orange plastic body at least.

Bottom line, would I buy this? It depends on the added features, pack-in figures, price, quality, and availability.

OC47150
06-19-2003, 07:56 AM
I still have my original Cloud Car, and I was fortunate enough to track down two pilots. (I originally didn't have the pilots for some unknown reason.) The pilot is one of the better sculpted figures released.

I would buy a new version.

mtriv73
06-19-2003, 11:30 AM
How about a new cloud car with the ice-cream guy and a new lobot and then two different pilots carded? It doesn't make much sense, but I would buy it anyway.

mark2d2
06-20-2003, 03:29 AM
The Icecream Guy would be hilarious as a pack-in. It's very E.U.
He was running to the Could Car in the movie . . . of course!

Tycho
06-20-2003, 01:22 PM
Because he knew space was cold, so if he made it up there, his ice cream wouldn't melt.

He had to hurry!

TheDarthVader
06-21-2003, 12:20 AM
I voted vehicle seperate and figure seperate. I would want to get just the figure. I don't collect vehicles unless they are imperial space crafts. I just want that DA*N figure!! C'mon hasbro!!

stillakid
06-21-2003, 12:33 AM
I voted for two pilots to be included with the ship. However, I see TheDarthVader's pov and think that the figures should also be released on cards as well.

JediTricks
06-21-2003, 04:16 AM
Let me ask this then, since my memory isn't that great, can you actually see a Cloud Car pilot in the movie? I think that'd really make a difference on this one to me, if you can then I suppose a figure of him should be single-carded just as the AT-ST pilot or Republic Gunship clonetrooper pilot.

Tycho
06-21-2003, 05:04 PM
Yeah, they turn their head sort of when Chewie's looking at them out the Falcon's cockpit window.

You can see one move his head.

darthcow
06-21-2003, 08:33 PM
Ouch....... only a few vintage ships left and nothing is safe anymore. Im a huge fan of star wars and don't mean to cut the marketing plans short..... but why release something you can pick up cheap by buying a vintage one. I'm ok with new figures but don't remake the old ones.....the old ones were horid as it is. Id rather have a anakin & amidala boat set than another cloud car, at least then we would have bath toys. there is to much other things I want than this cloud car. Jabbas sailbarge, a new death star, more figres from the Ewok & droids cartoons. Id settle for more new pod racers than the thought of another item that will just sit on the shelf. At least they are re...remaking the A-wing? 3 rd time is a charm I guess.......?

scruffziller
06-23-2003, 12:05 AM
get the whole shebang in one package

Dark Marble
06-30-2003, 05:01 PM
I voted for one pilot with the vehicle and one pilot carded. I have a couple of the vintage versions with pilots, so I don't really need anymore. But that doesn't mean I would get one more if it were updated.