PDA

View Full Version : What will you do if Episode 2 isn't worth rewatching?

Bothan187
11-19-2001, 10:21 PM
Well, with every passing day Episode 2 comes closer to being yet another box office hit at the theaters and another source of reference for all of us Star Wars lovers and followers. However, after being hyped up for E1 for about 5 years, and then waiting in line to see it for 3 days, and then watching the piece of garbage in the theater, I released, along with others, that Star Wars was no longer the cocky, witty, adventurous, thrilling, and a down right fun experience anymore. It did take a while to sink in, since, I went throw a long stage of denial. But, a year later I realized that I would watch any one of the original trilogy movies 100 times in a row before I had the urge to pop in my Episode 1 tape, and now DVD. So, what if Episode 2 blows it just as bad? As I see it now, I just say to myself, "well, ok, episode 1 wasn't for me, but maybe the next 2 will be since they are going to be very different." What if they aren't people? It is possible you know. Star Wars may loose it's touch for good. As it is, it's slipping and I know you all know it. So, if E2 puts the final blow in the hope of reviving star wars, what will you do?

Me, I will be selling half of my star wars collection (I have loose figures and packaged of every toy) before e2 is released. If e2 kicks the bucket, I will be selling my second half as well and then imminently proceed to the nearest bucket of acid and dip my head into it.

What will you do?:D

bigbarada
11-19-2001, 10:31 PM
Personally, I saw little wrong with EP1; but i understand that many people do not like it. However, like you, I have less of an urge to rewatch Ep1 than the OT. So if somehow Ep2 and 3 turn out to be crap then I will simply treat them like I do EU, jettison them from my little version of Star Wars and pretend the phenomenon died out permanently in 1985. Sure, it's denial, but it beats thoughts of suicide.:p

Magnolia-Fan
11-19-2001, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Bothan187
What will you do if Episode 2 isn't worth rewatching?

Then I won't rewatch it!

Co Jo-Da
11-20-2001, 02:09 AM
Episode I was a good movie and I watched it at least six or seven times in theater. Episode II looks above and beyond better than TPM and I'm just talking about the TRAILERS here. Now, I'm not judging AotC on the trailers alone but I can't help it. I watch the trailers over and over again, I just can't get enough. I will see AotC at least 10 times, even if it's the worst film in the series (which I doubt more and more everyday).

Obi-Don
11-20-2001, 09:08 AM
So far I like all the SW movies even if some parts aren't that good. I believe EII will be a good movie and will be worth watching.

Rollo Tomassi
11-20-2001, 10:13 AM
I'm confused by your (and now DVD) comment. Did you already have a movie you thought sucked on VHS and then went out and bought the same movie you thought sucked on DVD? So now you have two copies of a movie, by your own admittance, you'll never watch? Don't tell me it's the second disc, because that implies you thought the movie was interesting enough to watch how they made it. Which you don't. Because you said so. Therefore, the rest of your thread is irrelevant because your opinion is now tainted by your idiocy. Perhaps you should dip your head in the acid immediately...

JediTricks
11-20-2001, 10:29 AM
I would whip out my THX video tapes of the Classic Trilogy (the pre-SE ones), digitize them, then use the parts of the Special Editions I liked and edit them into those THX versions. Seriously! Heck, maybe I should just do that now no matter what I think of Ep 2, but I just don't have the computer to do it yet.

browndroid
11-20-2001, 11:34 AM
well, i would sit in one of the corners in my room slowly bashing my head into the wall.............:p

JEDIpartner
11-20-2001, 12:09 PM
I think that, regardless of the overall quality in comparison to the virtually untouchable OT, I will re-visit this film as I have TPM and will EP3.

I think the quality of these films surpass a lot of other movies in the sci-fi/fantasy genre as it is. I will avoid repeat viewings of those films and fall back on these for good entertainment. Isn't that really why we are all here in the first place?

bigbarada
11-20-2001, 12:22 PM
I liked Ep1 enough to watch it eleven times in the theater, paying every time. So as long as Ep2 and 3 are as good or better than EP1 then I don't see a problem with me accepting it.

Tycho
11-20-2001, 02:02 PM
1) It's just a movie. I am already a great fan of all FOUR films that have been released, and enjoy them very much. So it is important to me, but I won't kill myself or even let it take down my life and my enjoyment of it. (Nute and Rune didn't help in Episode One though - my first thoughts when they spoke were "They're ruining Star Wars." I pictured them as serious business, then I later learned that Lucas intended them to be jokes. I wouldn't have directed it that way, would've made them evil and dark, and then Sidious and Maul even worse. But now it'll be funny just to see Nute trip over something. That's who he is - not Jack the Ripper. And that's who George is. He has a sense of humor. I went out and got one.

2) Now the legend is what matters to me most: I've read every spoiler and know the plot to E2 and it rocks! I hope it will be well-executed. I have some fears that the Geonosians or the Kaminoans will talk like the Chipmunks, or Count Dooku will sound like Mickey Mouse. But other than that - George leaving his quirky sense of humor on the side - I think it'll play just fine. I like the humor that is done as dry wit: "We came to rescue you." - "Good Job." Intelligent sarcasm is funny. It didn't take a genius to write it, but that line rocked.

3) I've seen the trailers and it looks REALLY Well executed. Plus I like the story even better than TPM's. I also think that TPM and AOTC's have more involved complicated and intriguing plots (with Palpatine's schemes to rise to power) than the classic trilogy did, though I'm a devout classic fan.

Episode 2 should be alright, and possibly even the best one!

There's my 2 cents worth.

Bothan187
11-20-2001, 02:30 PM
because your opinion is now tainted by your idiocy. Perhaps you should dip your head in the acid immediately... (Rollo Tomassi) ((most rude thing i've ever heard in a thead))

Hey, as far as i'm concerned you should go right to the bottom of a sarlacc pit and rot over 100 years. As far as your question goes, I bought it because I wanted to see the deleated scenes as well as start my collection of Star Wars on DVD.

And also, this thead is for "what if" the movie sucks. Not, to tell everyone why you think it wont. I believe that people should think about it, and I just wanted to hear some of you comments of what you would do. That's all. Furthermore, what I would also do is split the movies into the first trilogy and second, and call myself a fan of the old trilogy. This is the kind of comments i'm looking for here.

Tycho
11-20-2001, 04:18 PM
I'll try and respond more directly to your thread:

First, you sound like you only want people to post who will agree with you and sound off just as you would. Rephrased, it sounds like you want to form some kind of Classic Trilogy posse, and form some sort of 'let's hate any new movie group' that's ready to back you up for support if George let's you down.

That's fine and you have every right to. I'm a 12-backer and have appreciated these movies since they came out when I was 5 years old. I've been a fan for as long as it's been possible, but I'm glad to be getting something new. I love Star Wars' past, but I'm not going to stay stuck on it. I'm a fan of TPM too, so I won't be joining your Classic Trilogy group.

If the new movie sucks, it sucks. I won't have much feelings about it at all then. Big deal. I'm a more positive person, and if it rocks, I'm going to get all hysterical over it. I'm not making plans for the negative possilbility.

As I expect to buy 7 tickets for the opening week as soon as they become available, I may regret going 7 times, or wasting money on tickets for a movie I can't stand to sit through. But I seriously doubt it.

As for figure collecting? I love what I have already, and I still plan on buying products from Episode 2 as the characters and images look so cool and I'd love to recreate the scenes I've been exposed to in the trailers with all of my action figures and vehicles. That's one of my hobbies, and I only collect Star Wars. I'll continue to do that for as long as I like to. One day I hope to have a set-up sort of like my own private museum. The story for E2 being good already, I have no plans to change what I do, on the basis of how this movie finally views.

I have a very strong grasp of who I am as a person. It would take a lot to change me, and what I like to do. I'm going to keep having fun for as long as I can. I encourage you all to do the same, too! :happy:

Bothan187
11-20-2001, 04:42 PM
I have a very strong grasp of who I am as a person. It would take a lot to change me, and what I like to do. I'm going to keep having fun for as long as I can. I encourage you all to do the same, too!

Good post, I do like to hear that. I remember a time when Star Wars was sure joy. I mean, E1 was a fun time, but the movie let me down some. It has it's moments I'd say. But being happy with what you do is really what matters, I'm glad to hear that. I only hope that I will be able to accept E2, and continue to collect, because I, like so many others, must have a complete collection. So, if I don't like E2, and as it stands I'm not a big fan of my E1 collection, then I don't know what to do! I must have all star wars, but at the sametime I wouldn't be loving what I am doing anymore. See what I mean?

Mandalorian Candidat
11-20-2001, 05:12 PM
If the movie does blow (in the opinion of the majority of fans) the first thing I'll do is log on to the SSG forums. Just reading these threads with posters bashing each other is pure gold! :dead:

Wolfwood319
11-21-2001, 12:50 PM
Your selling off half your collection before the movie comes out?

And then selling the rest if the movie sucks?

This doesn't make any sense to me at all. If you like what you have, don't sell it because AOTC wasn't good, just don't buy AOTC stuff.

Word t' yo' mother!

chewie
11-21-2001, 01:36 PM
If the movie isn't worth rewatching? Then I won't very well rewatch it then, will I?

Considering the dearth of good movie material lately, even if ep2 would be a total let-down the effects that I've already seen, place it above most other movies already. Good acting & plot or not.

xboywonder
11-21-2001, 02:14 PM
I have considered the fact that if AOTC is really great... it will actually boost my opinions of Ep1... I am basing it on the fact that I will have seen more character developments and such.

And to me it will seem more like Ep1 belongs somewhere in the saga. Let's just hope that it will remain the worst film... and Ep2 and 3 will give it a boost.

Jedi Clint
11-21-2001, 11:59 PM
Rollo and Bothan,

The comments below are not representative of acceptable behavior for SSG forum users:

Rollo - "Therefore, the rest of your thread is irrelevant because your opinion is now tainted by your idiocy. Perhaps you should dip your head in the acid immediately..."

Bothan - "Hey, as far as i'm concerned you should go right to the bottom of a sarlacc pit and rot over 100 years."

Although it appears that you have released whatever animosity you felt at the time you posted the above, I must inform you that if this personal spat continues you'll both be risking having your posts edited or removed and your accounts suspended for a few days.

SSG would appreciate everybody trying to keep things civil and on-topic, and personal attacks are not welcome, so please be mindful of this in the future. If you are being given similar treatment, please let a moderator know instead of responding in kind.

Our conduct sets a standard for potential members and newbies alike. Disagreement makes for interesting discussion. We can and do disagree without resorting to personal attacks against one another. We sincerely appreciate your cooperation.

Rollo Tomassi
11-23-2001, 12:59 PM
Well, to be quite honest, the dipping of the head in acid was HIS idea. I was just responding to it. And I was just confused by his predetermination of Episode II "sucking" as he so eloquently put it. And his confusing hypocritical stance on Episode 1 either "blowing" or "letting him down some." These are two vastly different charges to make of a film, in my opinion. For example, The Blair Witch Project "blew" or "sucked" (depending on your preference) whereas most movies "let me down." More often than not, I "have issues" with movies. Episode 1 for example. I "have issues" with midichlorians and that annoying Jira women. This is not a just cause for the blanket generalization of saying the movie "sucked" or "blew" (again, depending on your preference.) Logically, if you think a movie "blows" you would not shell out hard earned cash on not one, but TWO copies of a film by your own admittance, you'll never watch. Based on this illogicality, any further points made in said thread are also suspect as to their veracity. Add to this the presupposition of Episode II "sucking" and that predetermination being the cause of tossing out exactly one half of your Star Wars related merchandise and paraphanlia seems ludicrous. What happens if the movie rocks? Will you regret having thrown out half your stuff before even seeing the film? I'm sorry, but I just don't get it...

Rollo Tomassi
11-23-2001, 01:03 PM
However, I do apologize for the "tainted by your idiocy" comment. That was an unwarranted personal attack and I am sorry.

Bothan187
11-23-2001, 08:00 PM
I'm selling half because I don't really want it in the first place, and I think, or should I say "betting," that E2 isn't going to be great. I suspect, people will get pumped up again, like e1, in thought that George understands that he made some errors with e1, ok, a lot of errors, and that this new movie will make up for it. I would love for that to be true, and would not even care to have sold before the movie, when I might have been able to sell half of my collection for more after the movie. The real question is, to sell before (pre-hipe period) or after? And I think you don't understand when I say, E1 SUCKED, I mean just that. I cannot think of an eloquent way of putting down a movie, or perhaps I should say that E1 is maybe one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I know a good movie when I see one, and as to recent movies, Harry potter, something I knew NOTHING about and saw just for the E2 trailer, turned out to be an amazing film. By the time the movie was over I had forget about that, oh what was is, E2 trailer I guess. I do love Star Wars, and will own every movie on DVD, and despite my love for star wars, I will not defend a movie that in my mind sucks, and there is no better way to put it!

Tycho
11-23-2001, 09:09 PM
Let's do a little analysis, shall we?

EPISODE IV:

There has been an oppresive Galactic Empire for over 18 years, and a Rebellion has srung up to overthrow it. An important figure in the resistance is a young Imperial Senator, who uses her status to steal the secret military plans for the Death Star.

She's captured and sends her droid on a desperate mission to plea for help from a Jedi in hiding. The droid's destiny meshes with young Luke Skywalker, the son of a great Jedi, who intercepts R2 and ends up joining Obi-Wan on his last voyage.

With allies, they rescue the Princess, escape with the stolen plans, and deliver the data into the hands of the Alliance who will use it to destroy the station.

Very basic, and typical for an adventure story.

EPISODE V:

The Rebellion is being hunted down across the galaxy. They suffer a terrible defeat at Hoth and flee.

Meanwhile Luke is told by the specter of Ben Kenobi, to seek out Yoda and complete his training. For an unknown reason, Darth Vader is specifically stalking Luke, and designs a plan to trap him using Han and Leia as bait.

The Rebels are captured, and all but Han escape. Luke abandons his training to save them and confront Darth Vader. However Vader has revealed to Luke his father's true identity.

A very simple plot, basically a military onslaught film with a stalker element, that straight-forward.

EPISODE VI:

Luke fulfills his promise to rescue Han Solo, and returns to Dagobah to complete his training.

Meanwhile, Palpatine sets a huge trap for the Rebels on the ground and in space, using himself and the threat of a new Death Star as bait.

The Rebels attack and Luke enters the center of the conflict to face his father as well as Palpatine. The trap is sprung but in a twist of fate, the Rebels have allied themselves with a primative army who's sheer numbers help turn the tide in the ground battle, showing that all life desires to be free. Meanwhile Vader changes loyalties and the Emperor is vanquished as the fleet recovers and destroys the Death Star.

A very linear plotline, but quite involved. Depends a lot on military strategies, but has deep seeded themes running in it.

EPISODE I:

36 years ago (from Jedi), behind the scenes Palpatine has gone around as Darth Sidious, and has created a situation where he stands to gain politically: the Trade Federation invades his home planet, and he is elected Chancellor with a sympathy vote.

Meanwhile, his plans to take control of Naboo go awry, due to Jedi interference. He has trained an apprentice capable of acting as his enforcer to set things straight. (Naboo might have been where he originally wanted to do cloning - on a human world with special energies - I think we'll learn Kamino with aliens mastering human slaves was not Palpatine's first choice, but "Plan B.")

Meanwhile, the Sith tracks the Jedi down to Tatooine, where in an elaborate scheme to win parts for their starship, the Jedi gamble on a child-prodigy who pod races.

The involvement of the Sith, and the arrival of a Jedi Prophesy in the young boy, prompt a time of serious anxiety in the Republic.
The government deadlocks and the Queen returns to wrestle control of her world, successfully with the help of the Jedi. The Sith apprentice is destroyed, but their influence remains. The future of the boy remains to be seen...

Hmmm: more complicated than any previous Star Wars movie. But if it's too complicated to understand, JarJar is added for humor and people with the capacity to "get" fart jokes, etc. An upbeat tone is taken, despite the darker foreshadowings, so that the Republic can be seen in its golden age.

Overall, a larger story was told, much more sophisticatedly. Humor might have not appealed to everyone, but it ensured their was wider appeal than just to those who could be entrigued with a political story. The usual action and adventure went into the fast pace of the story, but there was something behind the scenes going on - and not blatantly spelled out for you like the Emperor's secret plans in Return of the Jedi.

I understand the concepts are more difficult for some to grasp. Let's all be more understanding to those who hate The Phantom Menace...

stillakid
11-23-2001, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
I would whip out my THX video tapes of the Classic Trilogy (the pre-SE ones), digitize them, then use the parts of the Special Editions I liked and edit them into those THX versions. Seriously! Heck, maybe I should just do that now no matter what I think of Ep 2, but I just don't have the computer to do it yet.

JT, I swear sometimes that you're me. I have those same exact plans once the technology (read: cost) becomes realistic. Seriously!

I also want to rework Ep I into something watchable, though I have in mind a couple of "reshoots" to tie some things together. It'll be my own Phantom Edit, but a good one.

I'll watch Ep II with as much enthusiasm as I went into all the previous films. The question always remains on how I'll exit the theater. But that maxim holds for every movie I see. The difference with Star Wars is that the Original Trilogy was so well done and water-tight that the bar was raised high and expectations were naturally set above all other films. TPM naturally disappointed "true" fans and casual observers across the board, so expectations for EP II have been lowered considerably. Sad, but true.

I'll continue to collect the toys and enjoy the saga nevertheless. Lucas and Hasbro will get my money -- that's what it's all about for them now anyway.

In other news:

TPM is not a complicated story, it does not have a "sophisticated" plot, and the dark foreshadowings are blatantly beat over our heads as if we were all blithering idiots. Just because we don't like the poorly written swiss-cheese story does not indicate that we "didn't get it." Oh, we got it alright. I truly wish that I could live in blind naivite so that I too could enjoy TPM as much as my 6 year old, but alas I've been cursed with the ability to recognize bad filmmaking when I see it. Analysis is just another word for statistics, and both can be twisted to tell any side of the story that you wish to present.

Jedi Clint
11-23-2001, 10:59 PM
This is the Episode 2 spoilers forum. This discussion is beginning to center around TPM and we do have a forum available to those who wish to discuss that film.

stillakid
11-24-2001, 01:21 AM
Sorry about that. It's difficult to isolate just one film when the plot points of all of them interconnect, or at least are supposed to. Discussion is bound to refer back to previous episodes in the saga from time to time. That's the nature of an episodic series.

Co Jo-Da
11-26-2001, 12:58 AM
Man I remember a discussion like this when TPM came out. I ton of people swore that if the movie sucked they would see it again. Now three years later, those same friends watch it at least once a month if not more.

Now I'm very confident that AotC rule be the best Star Wars film yet, YES THE BEST ONE YET...

2-1B
03-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Hey, as far as i'm concerned you should go right to the bottom of a sarlacc pit and rot over 100 years.

It actually takes a thousand years for the Sarlaac to do its work, not a century. :thumbsup:

stillakid
03-02-2008, 03:13 PM
It actually takes a thousand years for the Sarlaac to do its work, not a century. :thumbsup:

Perhaps it is in need of Colonblow or the like. Clearly the Sarlaac isn't "regular" and that it takes so long to digest something is usually an indication of a more serious problem. It should have a full physical at some point. Our prayers are with the Sarlacc. :sad:

2-1B
03-02-2008, 04:00 PM
and if that doesn't work, we could always try a bowl of new Super Colon Blow. :thumbsup:

:RIP Phil Hartman: :cry:

Devo
03-31-2008, 01:38 PM
After all this time I'd have to say that Episode II is the most rewatchable of all the prequels - equivalent of 'best' in my opinion. It has a decent amount to enjoy in its runtime -

I like :

-the geonosis battle from beginning to end minus the C-3PO parts
-Count Dooku (should never have been replaced by General Grievous in EpIII)
-the asteroid scene minus young boba fett and his 'evil laugh'.
-Jango VS Obi-wan battle
-Ewan McGregor and his jedi mullet - despite the dialogue handicap

Compare with Episode I -

I like:

-Qui-gon jinn despite his character being entirely unnecessary, even harmful to the development of other characters
-Darth Maul while he lasted. Who knows, had he lasted longer Lucas might have gone on to ruin him with brutal dialogue
-the score
-the sabre duel. Shame about the annoying, uninteresting bits that break it up
-watto

and Episode III -

I like:

-McGregor's acting in the final scenes with Anakin/Vader almost makes you believe what the films didn't actually show 'you were my brother anakin..I loved you'
-Palpatine

So in terms of the duration of screentime that I did enjoy about the prequels AOTC wins followed by TPM. ROTS, as a knock-on effect of the failings of the previous 2 films to do what they needed to do, ended up being the worst - but also due to its own individual failings like introducing another unnecessary villain, having more crap dialogue and acting, Mace windu being an idiot etc.

edit: actually technically because I mentioned the score for TPM that should mean I enjoyed TPM most as the score covers most of the running time of the film but thats not how I in fact feel