PDA

View Full Version : How would you feel about a new Vintage Line

Banky
06-17-2003, 07:56 AM
I was at Toys R Us the other day and saw all these figures they were old. Turtles, He-man, Star Wars, etc
A few years ago Mattel re-released a lot of the He-man figures in the same old package, but with a collectors box around the old package. So it got my mind going

How would you like it if Hasbro released maybe the first 12 vintage figures on card but with a collectors series package around it like Mattel did with He-man?

Or how would you feel if Hasbro did a limited special run of figures in the style of vintage, on a vintage card, but it was figures they didn't do back in the old days. Like a Trakin. Would be cool if it was a small collectors run and didn't flood the market. Thoughts

sith_killer_99
06-17-2003, 08:07 AM
I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see Hasbro do a re-release of the original 12 on 12 back cards. Unfortunatly, there are too many nay sayers out there, who claim that re-pros would erode the vintage market. I say fooey, if they can do it for He-Man they can do it for Star Wars!

As for new figures in vintage style, I would have to say no. I don't see any reason to go taking a step (or 10) backwards. Better to see vintage style cards with current figures.

Kidhuman
06-17-2003, 08:17 AM
I would love it. Original 12 on 12 back would be sweet SK99. The only thing is woyuld they put a Kenner logo on it?

LusiferSam
06-17-2003, 01:38 PM
I'm going to have to say no. It's not because of market concerns or any thing silly like that. Main reason is I already have these figures. The card doesn't concern me as I keep all my stuff loose. Maybe I should say I wouldn't buy them if made.

El Chuxter
06-17-2003, 01:46 PM
They did a set of six (???) vintage figures a few years ago, and I don't think it sold well.

Banky
06-17-2003, 03:37 PM
The Vintage Six set WAS HOT! IT was a very short run and it blow out. During this time I worked for Hasbro and it was a big buzz. (I was a Retail Merchainser) They wanted to more but Hasbro/Kenner made a promise to collectors that they would not do anything that may hurt the collector's market on old Star Wars stuff.

I could see a 12 on 12 back re-release but with a Hasbro logo some place on it. That way its different but still cool to look at. For those that can't pay those high cost 12backs. Also make the figure a little different like they did with the vintage six pack

DarthChuckMc
06-17-2003, 03:48 PM
I'd love a set like that. I had a set of the 1st 21 on their original backs. They were all repro-cards and bubbles, and some of the weapons were repro, but I loved having them. The bad part was that it cost me nearly $400 to put the set together. If Hasbro were to rerelease them, even with the Hasbro logo instead of Kenner, I'd still buy them. BTW, it was a TRU 4 pack, not 6, and the copyright dates on the figures were changed, so they wouldn't be passed off as ORIGINAL vintage.

Make them......MAKE THEM NOW!

Beast
06-17-2003, 04:11 PM
Won't happen. The set of 4 vintage re-issues that came out caused a ton of massive bad taste to ripple thru the hobby. People destroyed the boxes on purpose, showing their hatred for the re-issues. People tried to pass off the new figures as old ones. Kenner took so much heat over the issue, that they immediatly issued a statement that they would never re-issue vintage figures again. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Banky
06-17-2003, 07:59 PM
Tron has done it, He-man has done it, GI Joe has done it, why not do it with the biggest toy seller ever?
When it comes to money they dont care who they **** off.

Kidhuman
06-17-2003, 08:10 PM
I never knew about that set. I wish I would of. I think they should reissue it no matter what. Maybe Tycho should do a poll on it.

bobafrett
06-17-2003, 09:02 PM
I bought one of the 4 pack re-issues, and it had a tear in the corner. I do remember a lot of complaints at the time about the fact that they were putting that out and how much it could hurt the vintage figure value.

Kidhuman
06-17-2003, 10:23 PM
To me, I don't care about the value. I don't have any plans on selling my collection at all. If I needed cash it would be a last resort. Do they have this repack on Ebay?

Beast
06-17-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by kidhuman
To me, I don't care about the value. I don't have any plans on selling my collection at all. If I needed cash it would be a last resort. Do they have this repack on Ebay?
Yes, they do. Just search for "Classic 4-Pack" on Ebay. There are about a dozen up for auction now. Seems they arn't going for much now. They used to demand between $40-$60 at one point. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Kidhuman
06-18-2003, 12:05 AM
Thanks JJB.

bigbarada
06-18-2003, 12:12 AM
I think if Hasbro ever rereleases any vintage figures, it should be the stuff that is almost impossible to find. For instance, Yakface (who was never released in the US), Amanaman, Carbonite Han and pretty much every other figure from the "last 17" lineup.

The Collector's Market be damned! True Star Wars fans care not about such things!

lordscalper
06-26-2003, 09:51 PM
Since i'm not the owner of any SW vintage figures than i'm all for it.

evenflow
06-28-2003, 12:47 PM
I say no. They already did the special edition re-release of the vintage figures. That was enough.

Exhaust Port
06-28-2003, 01:23 PM
I would love to be able to get those figures I wanted as a kid but weren't able to have or get. I'd have to believe that the percentage of SW toy fans that would actually be upset over a re-release of vintage SW toys would be very, very small. We've all see the excitment over other re-released toy lines. Times have changed.

This might be more of a possibility once the last movie has come and gone. With no new characters on the horizon, toy makers will be forced to reissue characters if they hope to feed the SW fans.

Kidhuman
06-28-2003, 03:04 PM
This might be more of a possibility once the last movie has come and gone. With no new characters on the horizon, toy makers will be forced to reissue characters if they hope to feed the SW fans.

That is true, they are gonna have to do something after all the movies are gone and it is a good idea to do that.

lordscalper
06-28-2003, 03:57 PM
Actually I wouldn't even buy any of the figures if they had re-released them, the only reason I'd like to see them re-release the older vintage figures is to **** off all those vintage SW collectors, I'd get a good laugh out of it.

hamsterboy
07-17-2003, 07:03 PM
Couple of problems. One,they won't be cheap. If it's done like the MOTU,then you're looking at least $10 a figure. Second,besides collectors,who's going to buy them? I'm sorry to say but the bottom line with toy companies is lots of dollars.

Trip J
07-18-2003, 08:43 AM
If it's done like the MOTU,then you're looking at least $10 a figure.

...And for that you can buy the real thing in loose, very good condition!

Bel-Cam Jos
07-18-2003, 11:31 AM
...And for that you can buy the real thing in loose, very good condition!
What is they included brinze/gold colored POTF-type coins that weren't with the original figures? Then, you'd have those who are completists that would want these as "new" figs. Don't think Hasbro wouldn't do it! I'm a loose collector (no rude comments, please :D ), and I'm fine for Vintage figures, but I'd have to admit an "extra" like a coin for Han, Power Droid (GONK!), or Boba Fett would be cool.

Trip J
07-18-2003, 03:55 PM
If there were some value-added item included (a coin, custom figure stand, or something), yeah, then I would be for it. If they just package the same figures on a new card, I'd have to think about it carefully, especially at a $10 price point. Like I said, for $10, I can buy a REAL vintage orignal 12 figure.

I don't think (or care for that matter) that a re-release would tank the vintage market, and I agree that it might be nice to get back in on some of the so-called "last 17" that I missed out on at the end as a kid.

Jaff
07-18-2003, 11:53 PM
I would have to go no too. I love my vintage collection, and that's the key word: Vintage. Having them in stores would emotionally devalue the rarity and nostalgic power of the old line. I know there's a lot of folks who want some of the old stuff, but if you pay a big price you have a great prize that YOU will value. My favorite vintage figure is IG-88 on ESB card. It's my prize even though it is not of substantial value. If I went into a store and saw the vintage IG-88 on the shelf it would annalogously standardize the figure. Keep the Vintage stuff Vintage so it keeps it's NOSTALGIC value. Look forward to the Saga line. There's some exciting stuff comming, so I want to look in that direction IMO.

Hellboy
07-19-2003, 01:49 PM
I feel the same way you do Jaff. The Saga line is more than enough to keep my SW hobby going strong and I like my vintage figures staying the way they are. I passed on the Classic 4-Pack back in 95/96 and I'd pass on any other re-issues as well. For me collecting the Vintage line takes me back to a simpler time in my life when my love for SW was only beginning and I'd rather spend my $ re-aquiring those figures on the original cards that I tore open as a youth than buying re-issues. :)

yngadult
08-13-2003, 06:50 PM
I'd buy them for nostalgia reasons as long as they are accurate to the original molds (1970's stamps on leg etc.) and the weapons aren't made of flimsy material like the ones today.