PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix (Spoilers)

Jek Porky 2002
06-18-2003, 05:21 PM
So has everyone heard the news, either Ron or Hermione will die in the next Harry Potter book, does anyone know who it is, or who it is more likely to be?

This is not just rumours, it is official news from JK Rowling who said she weapt as she wrote the book.

El Chuxter
06-18-2003, 05:25 PM
Okay, um, thanks. I could've gone a few more days without learning that.. :( Could JT or one of the other General Discussion mods please put a spoiler warning in the title?

Dr Zoltar
06-18-2003, 06:53 PM
Jek Porky 2002,

Are you certain about this? The rumours I've heard is that it is...

SPOILER!
Hagrid that is killed.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-19-2003, 11:44 AM
Someone dies, I don't know who. I hope it is Dumbledore or McGonagall or someone like that and not a main character. :cry:

Exhaust Port
06-19-2003, 11:54 AM
Wow, and kids are going to read this? It'll be quite a blow to have a character killed off, like having Old Yeller shot. :(

keith koth
06-19-2003, 12:12 PM
Where can this "official news" be found? I doubt seriously that either Ron or Hermione will die.

I heard that it was Draco Malfoy that was going to die.

The Overlord Returns
06-19-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Exhaust Port
Wow, and kids are going to read this? It'll be quite a blow to have a character killed off, like having Old Yeller shot. :(

Not really any different than all of us as kids watching Old Ben die....

QLD
06-19-2003, 12:37 PM
I heard that Colonel Mustard gets it in the library with a knife.

;)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-19-2003, 01:32 PM
lol No no LIMP, it's Prof Plum in the Study with the candlestick!!! :D

I don't think Draco could die. He is a bad guy after all, and it wouldn't make sense for him to die if he's Harry's enemy. I like to think that "showdown" will take place later on in the books. :)

El Chuxter
06-19-2003, 02:18 PM
Well, since it looks like this is a speculation thread and not a spoiler thread (yet), my money is on Severus Snape dying at some point, most likely in book seven, saving Harry from Voldemort.

keith koth
06-19-2003, 02:37 PM
JK Rowling was quoted as saying that "a big fan of Harry's would die".

http://www.restrictedsection.com/Books/orderofthephoenix.htm

Hagrid? Collin Creevy? Dumbledor? Mrs. Weesely? Ginny Weesely? Ron? These are his biggest fans IMO. I'm thinking that it will be Collin...he would be easy to write off since he irritates Harry all the time.

Teeska Mon Eebon
06-19-2003, 02:43 PM
Dumbledor is likely because the actor that played himn died and Rolling seems to be more into the movies than the books lately...

El Chuxter
06-19-2003, 02:44 PM
"A big fan" to me is a pretty clear indication it's Colin, though Mrs Weasley would be my #2 choice.

Jek Porky 2002
06-19-2003, 04:40 PM
It is official news because it was in leading British national newspaper The Daily Express, this isn't the sort of paper to start rumours like most other Britsish papers, and besides, it was an official interview.

And it's definatly Ron or Hermione!

I think it will be Ron, so that there is room for a love story in the final 2 books.

By the way, how old will they be by book 5?

keith koth
06-19-2003, 05:01 PM
I still don't buy it. Why would they kill off one of the three main characters? Furthermore, Why would JK Rowling reveal such a huge spoiler? Sounds to me like this Daily Express is not much more than a tabloid publication...but what do I know about that, I don't live in the UK.

Darth Sidious
06-19-2003, 11:44 PM
Hmm...well...Ron becomes Gryffindor keeper so I doubt it's him. A big fan? Ginny or Collin of course, I hope it's Collin.

Exhaust Port
06-19-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Jek Porky 2002
It is official news because it was in leading British national newspaper The Daily Express, this isn't the sort of paper to start rumours like most other Britsish papers, and besides, it was an official interview.

You might be suprised to learn that not everything you read in a paper is true. Yup, I hate to be the one to tell you this but it can happen, the media machine is not always right.

And it's definatly Ron or Hermione!

The 2 versions of the infamous JK Rowling quote I've read have been either "a great fan of Harry Potter dies" or "a main character dies." Nothing in their said anything about it definately being Ron or Hermione. There are plenty of other possible characters with Hagrid being a good possibility.

I think it will be Ron, so that there is room for a love story in the final 2 books.

From the other rumors floating around the web, the future romance for Hermione will be Ron which seems to be the case with how their current relationships with each other is uncomfortablely unfolding. My guess is Harry will find someone else in the final books.

Exhaust Port
06-19-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by keith koth
I still don't buy it. Why would they kill off one of the three main characters? Furthermore, Why would JK Rowling reveal such a huge spoiler?

...with the hope that you will buy it to find out what character is killed off. As if there wasn't enough buzz about this book, this last minute teaser will put it over the top. As several have pointed out here, she never said that one of the 3 main characters gets it, only that a fan of Harry Potter dies which leaves quite a few possibilities.

Jargo
06-20-2003, 04:52 AM
She might as well kill off Dumbledore snce richard Hariss snuffed it last year. No point casting for a new actor to play him so kill the duffer off and just make up a new character. Movies are never exactly like the books so they can use existing footage of Hariss's face and CG it onto some stand in's body for any bits Harris obviously won't be able to film.
Has the harry Potter actor reached puberty yet? Won't it be weird when he starts growing stubble?

Exhaust Port
06-20-2003, 08:06 AM
I don't think she would kill off Dumbledore just because of the eventual movie. Harris was only used in 2 of the 7 total Harry Potter movies leaving plenty of time for the movie public to adjust to any new actor playing the part.

keith koth
06-20-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Has the harry Potter actor reached puberty yet? Won't it be weird when he starts growing stubble?

Harry Potter 90210! :D

Vortex
06-20-2003, 11:15 AM
1st offf Jargo...Sweet Dr. W!!!

I haven't head much about the kill off, cept the blurb on some some news channel.

I doubt she'd kill off Ron or Ms. Annoying, they are two key elements in helping Harry discover things about himself.

Dumbeldork is way to important to kill off since he's the only one who know how to do in Lord Vold...err he who shant be named. Tack on the fact that he knows more than he's letting on with harry. I think he's using Harry as bait and will help harry do in Lord V.

Hagrid would be too much of a blow and shock for the kids.

I could see his on the run godfather kicking the bucket giving up his life to save harry, or any of the small 2nd stringers.

The Overlord Returns
06-20-2003, 11:42 AM
Couldn't the just have GWB bomb the snot out of Hogwarts and put us all out of our misery...........(sorry, not a Harry Potter fan).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-20-2003, 12:34 PM
Oh yeah, comin' out tomorrow! I think I might go get it at midnight. :)
Hopefully, it won't be too main of a character, but more like stupid Colin Creevey or something. Or maybe it's Harry, then he'd spend all his time with Nick and Myrtle. :D

El Chuxter
06-20-2003, 12:46 PM
Your post just made me think of something. Anyone who is killed at Hogwarts could haunt the place, so they'd still be around. :)

As for the mushy stuff. . . my theory is that Ron will end up with Hermione, and Harry will end up with Ginny.

Maybe Cho Chang or whatever her name is will die. She sucks anyway.

Hmmm. . . . I guess that French student from Goblet of Fire who will be teaching at Hogwarts could be classified as a "fan" of Harry's. Maybe it's her.

InsaneJediGirl
06-20-2003, 02:15 PM
I say Ginny,Collin,or his little crush Cho will bite the dust.I'll just have to wait until til tomorrow to find out:)

I dont see Fleur dying..shes not what I could see as a big fan.Sure,Harry saved her little sister,thats nothing ;)I say Fleur hooks up with Bill Weasley,she seemed to be checking him out in "Goblet".

Jedi Leanne
06-20-2003, 05:57 PM
I think it's good that JK is adding an edge to the series, I mean, as people get older, life changes.. a positive thing I think

Deoxyribonucleic
06-20-2003, 10:17 PM
May the force be with ME!

Damnit!

I hope you guys will think of me while I'm dealing with idiot, insane in the membrane customers tonight until 3:30 in the morning.

That damn book goes on sale tonight at 12:01 AM and our stock is already gone for preorders, soooooooooo there's gonna be alot of "angry" people and they will take all their anger out on me because of course it's my fault that we don't have any books in stock.

WHY OH WHY OH WHY OH WHYYYYYYYY!

If you guys don't hear from me again, you will know I gave my life so that some idiot could get a Harry Potter book LOL j/k but here goes, I'm leaving now, I'll be back with some great stories for y'all!

:crazed: :dead: :crazed: :dead: :crazed:

:Pirate: Aaarrrrrrrrr!

Rogue II
06-20-2003, 10:37 PM
I feel your pain. I worked at a video store for 3 years (back in the day). It is amazing how stupid and greedy people can be.

QLD
06-20-2003, 11:03 PM
Yeah, I worked for video stores for several years myself.

Titanic release day at Blockbuster was Hooooorrrrrible.

Exhaust Port
06-21-2003, 01:14 AM
Next book.....swearing and nudity!

Exhaust Port
06-21-2003, 01:19 AM
I still have time. I'm going over to the local B&N and ask for assistance to find a new dictionary. I'm sure the employees are free and would love to take the time to help. :)

Mandalorian Candidat
06-21-2003, 01:21 AM
Well, if you do get smacked around for running out of HP books, just yell out some of the spoilers. They'll have to leave you alone whilst they cover up their ears.

plasticfetish
06-21-2003, 03:05 AM
Oh God ... I am so sorry.
Hmmm ... would be so funny if I dressed up like Harry Potter and headed over to that place and started freaking out because I couldn't get my book.

Hahahahahahahaha.

Sorry. I'm just picturing myself driving around dressed like Harry Potter at 1 am. With that scar drawn on my forehead and a stuffed owl safety pinned to my shoulder.

"Whoah. THAT Harry Potter needs to shave."

Exhaust Port
06-21-2003, 11:00 AM
Uh, I don't know why the other thread was closed but anyway here's another. Hopefully it'll escape the wrath of the moderators.

Anyway, the book is out and I did a search on the internet and found out who dies. I haven't read any of the books but I think I might start doing so now. I'm intrigued to find out about the importance of the events in Book 5.

How many people here have read the books? I love the movies but as they always say, the book is better.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-21-2003, 11:43 AM
EP- I didn't start reading the books till the first movie was very close to coming out. I used to read A LOT when i was younger, but age, jobs and whatnot kinda phased reading a book out of my schedule. However, i must say that, along with an entire legion of folks, my love for reading has once again been sprung up due to the series. They're very good reads. yeah, they do follow the standard rule of "Book is better than the movie."

I picked up my copy of "Order of the Phoenix" last night on the way home from a gathering. Got it Kroger onsale just today for 16 bucks. Not bad at all. I must say my only gripe is that it's been a while since i read book #4 (Goblet of Fire) and I need to refresh my memory of the new characters. But yeah they're great books to read. I highly recommend them! :D

Exhaust Port
06-21-2003, 03:22 PM
Hey the original thread is back!

derek
06-21-2003, 03:44 PM
yea, sorry about that. when i merged the 2 harry threads i must of accidentally closed it.

Pendo
06-22-2003, 09:23 AM
So who dies in the book? I can't be bothered reading it to find out, and I can't wait until they make the 5th film to find out :rolleyes:.

PENDO!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-22-2003, 02:12 PM
Well, I guess, Cedric hasn't come back as a ghost yet, it'd probably be too odd. Maybe noone will die, or perhaps Professor Umbridge, what a hag. :crazed: It's cool seeing Lupin and Moody again, well it's really Moody for the first time unless you count seeing him in his trunk.

Beast
06-22-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Pendo
So who dies in the book? I can't be bothered reading it to find out, and I can't wait until they make the 5th film to find out :rolleyes:.

PENDO!
I will attach the image of the deceased fan of Harry's. I don't want to ruin the book for those that haven't read that far. So don't open it if you don't wanna know.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
06-22-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
I will attach the image of the deceased fan of Harry's. I don't want to ruin the book for those that haven't read that far. So don't open it if you don't wanna know.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

:eek: OH NO!!! He/She can't die!!! He/She was my favourite character :sur:!

:cry:

Was it quick?

PENDO! :cry:

InsaneJediGirl
06-22-2003, 06:14 PM
Wow..one of my favorite characters.Wasnt expecting that.Need to go back to reading and find out exactly how this happens.

Exhaust Port
06-22-2003, 09:50 PM
JJB, that is the person that I heard gets it in the book 5. Maybe since I haven't read the series the name I've seen is the same person.

***THIS IS A SPOILER***

Here's a link to the dead persons name HERE (http://pub39.ezboard.com/fsiriusblackfanclubfrm23.showMessage?topicID=1.top ic).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-23-2003, 12:11 PM
Wait a minute, those two people are different. So it really is the first one? Thank God it wasn't some other people!

Beast
06-23-2003, 02:56 PM
Ack, doh. My bad. Sorry, I mixed names up. I wasn't thinking straight when I attached the photo. Pay it no mind. The two names are fairly close, and my brain went mushy. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
06-23-2003, 03:07 PM
wait....is there a picture of the character anywhere from the movies? I don't recognize that name....

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-23-2003, 07:38 PM
Dammit. The photo guy should die, not the other one. I really like the guy who bites it, but hate the one in the picture. :mad:

Exhaust Port
06-23-2003, 07:41 PM
I don't think the person that died has made an appearance in the movies as of yet. Being that I haven't read the stories I don't know at what point he/she makes an appearance. Heck, the way movies go, the character could very well already be in the books but haven't made it to a speaking roll in the movies.

InsaneJediGirl
06-23-2003, 09:54 PM
Just finished the book..very disappointed the 1st photo(JJB posted it) character didnt die.Liked both characters anyways,but still interesting developments on both sides.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-26-2003, 12:52 PM
I finished yesterday. Damn that ending was depressing. :cry: What with Dumbledore crying and Harry being all sad. The one who dies is in book/movie 3, so we haven't seen him yet on film. I wonder what is behind that veil though? All in all, the book was good, but I don't want to wait three more years for book 6.

Grawp is awesome. :cool:
"WHERE HAGGER?"

RooJay
06-26-2003, 02:46 PM
Since this is a spoiler thread, and since I will probably never get around to reading any more of the Poter books than I already have (only the first one and about a quarter of the second; I read too much already, and much as it I'd like to, I have no time to add the Potter series), would somebody please explain to me who this person is that dies? I don't really want to wait years until the movie is made to be in on the story.

InsaneJediGirl
06-26-2003, 09:15 PM
The person who dies is Sirius Black,Harry Potters godfather.Sirius was a close friend of James Potter.He should be appearing in the 3rd film,as he escapes from the wizard prison and finds Harry.(Or at least I think I remember how it goes).Anyways,he pretty much has to live away from people,or turn into his dog form to move around,because the general public thinks he is a mass-murderer still.(Supposedly killed 12?13? people)

Grawp was cool.Best new character in the entire book:DHope we see more of him.

RooJay
06-27-2003, 01:03 AM
THANKS! Now you've ruined the surprise for me!:mad: ;)

jk! Thanks, really though!

plasticfetish
06-27-2003, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by InsaneJediGirl
The person who dies is Sirius Black ... He should be appearing in the 3rd film, as he escapes from the wizard prison and finds Harry. (Or at least I think I remember how it goes).
He's played by Gary Oldman!!!

jjreason
06-29-2003, 01:32 AM
Gary Oldman will do very well as Sirius Black.

I was quite happy with the developments in Book 5, though it really was a bridge story - nothing great accomplished in the war vs Voldemort like the previous volumes. At least now Harry knows where he stands in the grand scheme of things, the news he got will weigh heavily upon him until the end of this series. I suspect things will maintain this new, very gloomy tone until the end.

That being said, did anyone else laugh out loud when the Weasley twins made their great escape? Perfect.......

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-29-2003, 05:58 PM
"Give her hell from us, Peeves."
Yeah that was awesome! And when they showed up again with th dragonhide coats! :crazed:

jjreason
06-30-2003, 12:29 AM
"Give her hell from us, Peeves."
Yeah that was awesome! And when they showed up again with th dragonhide coats! :crazed:

:cool: I have voted myself an honourary member of the Weasley family, even though I bear no resemblance. Weasleys are super!!! :D

keith koth
06-30-2003, 01:44 PM
What is the deal with the 2-way mirror Sirus gave to Harry? I mean, what was the point of giving Harry the mirror if he never used it to contact Sirus...until it was too late. Will the mirror become important in the next book (even though it is now cracked/broken)?

Did anyone else find it odd that without the ability to communicate via owls or floo powder and without Dumbledor being present, Harry still had two options for communicating with Sirus (the 2-way mirror and/or Snape) both of which he completely forgot about. Is Harry becoming forgetful?

jjreason
06-30-2003, 10:56 PM
What is the deal with the 2-way mirror Sirus gave to Harry?

She's pretty good at tying things in...Im sure this will take a prominent role in the next story. With any luck, he'll be able to contact Sirius with it from beyond the grave or something......

Anyone else wonder what the kids got on their OWL's? How could she not tell us???? The suspense is killing me.......

Darth Shifty
07-02-2003, 06:01 PM
Anyone else wonder what the kids got on their OWL's? How could she not tell us???? The suspense is killing me.......

I was hoping she would tell us their grades too. I betcha Harry got an O in Defense of the Dark Arts though! :D

keith koth
07-03-2003, 04:34 PM
Will Snape finally be the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher next year (book 6)? I believe he might...here's why: Harry must take N.E.W.T.s Potions course in order to become an Auror. Snape will only allow those who scored an "O" on their O.W.L.s to move forward to the N.E.W.T. level potions course. Harry seemed to think he did not do so well on the O.W.L.s potions exam. If Snape finally gets to teach the Defense Against the Dark Arts course, then someone less strict can take over as the Potions teacher, thus allowing Harry to continue towards his goal of becoming an Auror.

jjreason
07-04-2003, 10:34 AM
Will Snape finally be the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher next year (book 6)? I

They could go that route. Harry showed that he can do potions, Snape wasn't there for the OWL, and it went better than he'd hoped, no? I was worried that the ruckus during their astrology would have cost him a few marks, and maybe the grade he needed to get enough OWL's. Hopefully not.

I'd like to see Harry and Snape finally bond a bit somehow, even though I can't figure out how they could get from here to there. I don't hate Snape as a character.

hango fett
07-04-2003, 01:21 PM
SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YA DON'T WANT TO KNOW WHO DIES, DON'T READ!

oh yeah. it was sirius. he dies. croaks. buys the farm. kicks the bucket. takes a dirt nap. sleeps with the fishies. keels over. *please place a witty dead metaphor here!*
It happens in chapter 35 get's hit by a death eaters spell. there you have it!
h

keith koth
07-04-2003, 01:36 PM
I'd like to see Harry and Snape finally bond a bit somehow, even though I can't figure out how they could get from here to there. I don't hate Snape as a character.

I believe that Harry will save Snape's life at some point, which will change the nature of their relationship to a friendly one.

jjreason
07-04-2003, 04:10 PM
Hango's right, but Sirius didn't actually die until he went through the archway to the "other side". I'm thinking book 6 may very well be "Harry Potter and the Dark Arch" or some damn fool thing. That would be awesome, a trip through the arch trying to locate Sirius and bring him back - Im sure there's an artifact somewhere that would allow them a return trip? Diagon alley's full of magical treasures.......

hango fett
07-08-2003, 12:16 PM
yeah...i haven't read the whole book yet...i just knew that sirius died because i skimmed over the book and then started to read...i am on chapter 17...i hate umbridge! what a witch!
h

icatch9
07-08-2003, 02:19 PM
I too think that both the Arch and the mirror will play a good part in book six. First off, just becasue the mirror is broken, doesn't mean it can't be fixed. You know like Harry's glasses every movie.

About the Arch, it certainly will have some very important part in the rest of the story. Right now I'm thinking that it is a path to the after life. More like a short cut. I mean you don't have to be dead to go to the after life, you just have to pass through the arch. Thing is no one has figured out how to get back through to the living world. Does that make sense? Basically, you don't have to be dead to be in the after life, pretty good stuff huh? Just thought of it on my own. I think it would fit perfectly in the wizarding world.

Oh yea, I too am an honorary memeber of the Weasly Family. Thing is I do have the red hair, long legs, and lanky arms to boot. Plus, I'm 1/4 British, so I'm all over it. I'm thier long lost American cousin :D.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-11-2003, 04:17 PM
It's tough to read an 870-page book when you have other responsibilities to address. But now it's done. Going into the book, my list of possible deaths were:
Ron
McGonnicle (sp?)
Dumbledore
(With a throw-away guess of Hermione)

And of course, I was right... that the book is 870 pages long. :rolleyes: I feel dumb, but after Sirius died, I was waiting to see which of the Hogwarts students would die in the hospital or before getting medical aid. I didn't consider Mr. Black a "major" character, apparently. Anyone who's a teacher (or, I suppose, in any job having to meet specific standards and requirements) must have finger marks in the covers of their books; the frustration at reading Umbridge's and Fudge's incompetence and bold blindness at what makes sense! :mad: I was so angry and livid at reading those lines, that I hated the first 300-500 pages of the book. The ending made up for it, but not enough to move the book into my top 3 in the series.

Here's my list of favorite Harry Potter... books, in order:
1. ... and the Sorceror's Stone #1
2. ... and the Prisoner of Azkaban #3
3. ... and the Chamber of Secrets #2
4. ... and the Order of the Phoenix #5
5. ... and the Goblet of Fire #4

And when is #6 due out? 2005? 2063? :confused:

jjreason
07-11-2003, 05:43 PM
I don't know how I managed to miss the "announcement" that there'd be a major death in the story, but I did. I've been trying to go spoiler free for as many things as I can nowadays, this book was included in that - and I'm glad. I would have taken a stab that someone would have died during it, based on the death of whatshisname in Goblet of Fire, that's just the way things are progressing and getting more serious for the maturing Harry.

I'd agree with BCJ - it wasn't my favourite of the series. Great nonetheless, but definitely not a "feel good hit" so to speak. Great book for setting up the next 2 however, I've been comparing it to ESB.

El Chuxter
07-21-2003, 04:43 PM
I think next year Harry will somehow let Snape know how badly he feels about his dad being a dill-pickle (:p) and maybe they'll get along.

Of course, my money's long been on Snape killing Draco Malfoy in Book VII to save Harry and dying in the process.