PDA

View Full Version : I handled new Luke, Snowtrooper, Yoda loose

Tycho
06-19-2003, 04:54 PM
They suck.

The snowtrooper is sort of fat, like Porkins evil brother. It's OK, but I mean really nothing to get excited about. He has extra articulation in one ankle and his head has articulation to help him look up above him, since really he's squatting when he uses the E-webb cannon, so now he can look straight at what he's shooting, versus eyeballing his ankle articulation in one boot. The gun goes in his holster. That's sort of neat, if you post him using the E-webb. Overall, he's harder to make off like he's standing at attention in some Death Star scene, so I'd go with the old Snowtrooper if you're aiming for that. Ask questions if you have any more. My friend found these at Target, and the figures are his. I just played with them.

Luke is a one-pose wonder that looks like a cartoon character's evil sulking (or a bad Jim Carey pose) when he's not chopping wood with his lightsaber. The evil Shaggy from Scooby Doo also comes to mind. As usual, the action feature limits his poseability to err.. uh.. NO POSABILITY whatsoever. In my great love of making expanded universe scenes, I might buy this figure, or even purchase him if I want to make one more scene from the ROTJ duel (i've already bought 4 different Emperors, Luke's, and Darths, to make different points in the duel already - don't see a need to do the hand-chop scene, too. But I plan to add a Vader's Emp's Wrath scene into the fray to make 5 scenes by the time the right Emperor with softgoods comes along (the cloak has to look right when Vader's carrying him). So, maybe I'll make 6 scenes :rolleyes: ) In any case, Luke slicing a Yuuzhan Vong could look cool with this figure, but that's all you could do with him if you're done with your movie scenes.

1) I mean sure, it looks good on a card. Fine if you collect carded, but doesn't it bother you if what you're paying for is crap? Why are you patronizing that? If you are, and yet you're complaining about the Clone Trooper 3-packs containing non-poseable characters: shut-up! You have no right to talk! Don't patronize this sort of production if you don't like it. (but we'll let you off on the technicality that the other set is a special 3-pack and not a main line figure. OK. Whatever.)

2) It's great if you're making a diorama of this particular scene. It only takes one good Vader and it's a simple statue piece if that's what you want. Wouldn't a "deluxe unleashed" be a better idea though? This isn't what the 3 3/4" collection is supposed to be about.

3) It's so-so if you're a kid and you're fascinated by how a button makes Luke's arms move up and down. But when the next great-smelling glue bottle to sniff comes around, you'll forget all about your Luke figure.

Now my best advice is: the best thing Hasbro has given us up to now is an excuse to get more sleep in the morning. Let the Hot Wheels guys clear these off the racks so we can get better shipments later. Then we can laugh at them when the Luke's don't move at the Swap Meet.

However, I did get the loose Yoda and kid from James today. They're cute. Not really impressive, but you'll like getting them sort of like when you go to the store and say to yourself, "I need to buy some toilet paper" and you discover a sign there that says "Toilet Paper is now on Sale!" You're moderately satisfied you're getting something for your money. But Yoda's two seemingly separable legs do not seem to be separable at all! (like the CommTech Jawa's or something...articulation, you know - Yoda doesn't actually have it. I'll update you later after I re-examine my figure)

But in any case, I'll let you know when I'm really impressed. I'd get the 12" Gamorrean Guard to any-and-all that don't have him. When I got HIM I was impressed!

Darth Sidious
06-19-2003, 05:13 PM
Hmm...I just wish I could find new figures at all, no matter how badly they suck... I have a question about the Luke...Does the figure really have that awful white Tuxedo-priest thing on his neck? If so, can it be removed? I hate how that looked.

Tycho
06-19-2003, 07:28 PM
The flap in Luke's top is painted on. It's not removeable.

But I always liked the way that looked. To me, it's one cool thing about the figure - that it's Death Star II Luke.

I think the flap was only down when his father died, not during the duel.

But however authentic, I still like that look. To each their own.

Darth Sidious
06-19-2003, 07:34 PM
Oops, my bad, I didn't even remember the flap in the movie. I didn't think he had it. If it was actually there then sure, that's fine. :) I guess I'll just have to watch RotJ again...Curse my poor memory! :D I guess you can kind of see where I was coming from though...If the flap wasn't really there, it would look pretty ridiculous.

Gonk 1979
06-19-2003, 09:18 PM
TYCHO

...don't forget, that this is YOUR OPINION, and your opinion only. Just because you hate it doesn't mean other people will as well. I too have also gotten my hands on the Luke and I dig him, as well as I HATE the clonetroopers 3-pack. Thats just me, but don't go saying to someone that they are wrong in liking something, or they can't like this if they like that, etc. Unless you are a completist, it all comes down to preferences. To flame people for buying what you call "crap" if they like it is foul. In the future, it would be best to just post your (insignificant) review and leave it at that instead of getting on people for possibly liking this figure.....

Tycho
06-19-2003, 09:40 PM
To the socially insecure:

No one is named and flamed here.

A strong opinion is what I wrote - with no appologies.

Except, I am Saddam Hussein in disguise and secretly hiding someplace with a legion of terrorists whereas I plan to strike out at people who disagree with my opinion about Star Wars action figures. I will use chemical weapons, nukes if I have to! I'll even blow up the pegwarmers in the process! And I'll get those people that feel I am being bossy and ordering them to like or dislike little plastic army men! Yes I will!

[evil laugh!]

We must take this site all so seriously. Because l know: living in a cave in exile with only my Star Wars collection and my online satelite hook-up (which I'll use to launch my weapons of mass destruction to pulverize anyone who disagrees with me) I must make sure Star Wars is taken utterly so seriously!

The world will come to an end if people don't agree with me about tiny little plastic action figures!

Yes it will!

Darth Sidious
06-19-2003, 10:00 PM
Woah...Count me outta this one, as a ...well...rather stupid Gungan once said.

Old Fossil
06-19-2003, 10:23 PM
Man, I hope you're totally off the mark about the Snowtrooper, Tycho! I've really been looking forward to picking up a couple of them. Good news about the neck articulation, though -- that way, they can at least look up at their buddies rapelling down the line from an AT-AT's belly!

Maybe Vader will redeem this wave, if Snowie is as uninspiring as you say. We can only hope...

Tycho
06-20-2003, 12:23 AM
Well, I was predisposed not to want to like it, since I didn't need it for my dioramas.

A few years ago on a clearance sale, I bought 6 POTF2 Snowtroopers on the foil cards and still have them up in a closet.

Why?

I want them to make a General Veers figure so bad!

I'm waiting for the General so that I can make a scene INSIDE an AT-AT (no I'm not going to use the toy, I'm going to make my own version of what the inside looks like based on the Incredible Cross-Sections book) and Veers will either be there in full armor, or without (we'll see how they make a figure of him and then which way looks best - cause maybe the scene will be on a Star Destroyer instead). But I want my troops standing at attention.

I didn't intend to buy more anyway, but for action scenes, this snowtrooper will be cool! It is a good figure.

I don't know why I sound so negative about him to other people.

They should read through my "this wave sucks" to what I really said. It does suck for me: I don't need snowtroopers, and Luke isn't that great except to make a single kind of diorama with (at least it could be EU if you don't want it to be ROTJ, but then he'll need a HASBRO figure for a post-Jedi enemy and we don't have "official" Yuuzhan Vong figures) but I was quite satisfied with Yoda - and yes, like when I find towling paper I need on sale, I found a Yoda and a youngling that I needed, and I bought it for retail price (thanks to James for actually finding it on his trip to Target).

But when does a wave not suck? Like finding Aayla Secura and Bariss, who I need a lot of for Jedi fight scenes and who both tend to be very cool figures that I can use, and finding Lama Su with them, whereas he completes my Kamino casting call for scenes there. Plus I get cool variations of Imperial Officers out of that wave (somebody to save so General Veers that I'm hoping for can have some friends to order his men around with) - and that's about where it's at.

Figures I'm really looking forward to?

The Jedi Council 3-pack, maybe the Jedi 3-pack even if they aren't real poseable. The Deluxe Kamino boys (Obi-and-Jango), Coleman Trebor, Wat Tambler, Padme Wedding, the Geonosian War Room, the Clone Wars stuff for all new EU adventures I can recreate from my comic books.

It's mostly prequel stuff. The Classic Stuff I really want to see are the Imperial Dignitaries, and mostly the ROTJ stuff they are making for next year - like Jabba's boys (hoping for a Whipid!) and I'd like more Ewoks and Captain Antilles and Dodonna who I've waited so many years for. They could make a lot of Cantina aliens I want, Biggs in academy uniform - so much more to get excited about than Classic resculpts and re-releases (although they are picking the best Han, Leia, Luke Tatooine, Vader, etc. for the re-releases) and I buy all the Darth Vader figures (one of each) that I can get my hands on, because I want to pose him killing at least one of all my other Jedi figures :D by Episode 3 and the time thereafter!

But Snow-boy's OK. Most won't be disappointed. I just wanted a different figure of somebody else in the first place. Luke I'm actually going to buy. Yoda I'll buy maybe 2nds or 3rds of.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-20-2003, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Darth Sidious
Woah...Count me outta this one, as a ...well...rather stupid Gungan once said.

lol That got me laughing uncontrollably, and I don't know why. Just caught me off guard. I had to complete it though, "Better dead here, than at the core. Da Gods (is that what he says?) what's mesa saying?!?" and this point, i remember yelling at the TV, "Nobody knows what you're saying, Jar jar!!! Stupid @!%@%!@!!$!!!" :D

Anyway, i collect MOC and i know i don't open them, so my opinion is moot compared to openers, but i think the sculpts on these bad boys are fantastic. I can't wait to get them!!

Sorry you didn't like it though Tycho. Hopefully, that other Jedi Luke coming (next year?) will give you a good Jedi Luke. :)

Gonk 1979
06-20-2003, 01:24 AM
dude, sorry for kinda flaming, but GEEZ MAN! First, you say this wave sucks for everyone, carded and open collectors alike because it's a bunch of "crap", and now you say it doesn't suck and that you only said it because you can't use them in your diorama???? Anyone heard of being objective?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-20-2003, 01:46 AM
Ah, don't worry about it Gonk. Tycho has just been sniffing that curse'd Mouse Droid lately. Give it time to wear off and you'll get a better review. :D

Tycho
06-20-2003, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by Gonk 1979
dude, sorry for kinda flaming, but GEEZ MAN! First, you say this wave sucks for everyone, carded and open collectors alike because it's a bunch of "crap", and now you say it doesn't suck and that you only said it because you can't use them in your diorama???? Anyone heard of being objective?

No worries. You and I are OK.

I see where you're confused by my points (or lack of).

I was describing feelings really (my feelings of course).

I did not feel enough satisfaction with this wave, for all of the above reasons.

I prefer to get excited about stuff, like the way I'd plan to dance around a store when I am finally able to buy a General Riekeen.

In the meantime, I'm not trying to be bummed out about Star Wars in general. Check out Han Hoth: that is an awesome figure I totally did not need, yet I HAD TO GET HIM!

I invented a whole new diorama around him just so I could have an excuse to get that figure. I plan on getting the Hoth 5-pack so I can have a TaunTaun with belly slit, and an extra Luke to stuff
in him. I'll sell or figure out something to do with the Hoth Leia and the Hoth Chewie, and figure something out for that Astromech (and I love different colored astromechs) - but I would not be planning to buy ANY of that stuff if it weren't for Han Hoth!

rherk
06-20-2003, 08:26 AM
Now, let's all give each other virtual hugs and be friends.

Awe, now isn't that nice?

mm74md
06-20-2003, 10:01 AM
Are Luke's hands painted correctly?

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19851

OC47150
06-20-2003, 10:29 AM
I'm excited that new stuff is showing up. I'll have to go out tomorrow and look!

sith_killer_99
06-20-2003, 10:50 AM
Not only did they paint the wrong hand, but in the picture Luke's flap is closed. LOL

I mean sure, it looks good on a card. Fine if you collect carded, but doesn't it bother you if what you're paying for is crap?

Yep, it bothered me when I bought the SAGA Bespin Luke and it bothers me now. That is why I won't be buying this one.

Welcome to the wonderful world of SAGA, the only line capable of breaking so many collectors of their completist ways. Yeah, OK fine, I've become cynical. We all knew that this would be one of the last waves to carry those horrid action features.

When you think about it, we should all praise this wave, because it signals the end of action features, now we can all get back to being completists again.:D

As for the Snowtrooper, well, I like all Imperial bad guys, so I am kind of looking forward to finding this guy. Fat huh, he dosen't look too fat in the pics?!?!? I'll have to wait and see.

I have a few problems with the Vader. For one thing, he never removed his helmet in the thrown room, or during the duel. Tycho, is his hand removable? Remember, when Luke took off Vader's helmet he had already lost his hand. One of the reasons the FF Vader is soo popular is because he is versatile. You can put his helmet on and use him for a regular Vader, then pop off his hand and you have a battle damaged Vader, then pull off the helmet and you have REALLY battle damaged Vader/Anakin. That and the fact that we waited about 15 years to get a Vader with removable helmet. ;)

This figure feels more like Hasbro just wanted to capitalize on the popularity of the first removable helmet Vader.

Tycho
06-20-2003, 01:20 PM
My friend didn't find the Vader, and by reading other posts in the news on this site, it sounds like Luke and Snowy don't ship with Vader.

It looks like it's the re-released Kamino Jango (removeable helmet) and C-3PO Tatooine (from Flashback w. Aunt Beru wave).

Then Luke and Snowy.

To answer the other question, I forgot to pay attention to whether Luke's correct hand was gloved or not. My friend James has the figure. I just bought the Yoda he picked up for me.

I'll wait and decide on whether I purchase Luke when I find him on my own, and perhaps not until I see how Vader turns out.

El Chuxter
06-20-2003, 04:38 PM
You didn't pay attention to Luke's hand, or you were too high on mouse droid fumes to notice he even had hands? Hmmm? I think it's time to come clean and admit you have a problem. :p

I have to disagree with you on Yoda & Chian, which I found two days ago. Yoda is the best AOTC Yoda we've gotten so far. I especially like that his feet are molded so they look normal when he's flying around in that hoverchair. Chian doesn't do much, true, but he (or she) is an awesome sculpt.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-20-2003, 05:25 PM
I was disappointed about how the snowtrooper action feature worked after seeing pics on GH. Could you elaborate on how it works?

Jedi Leanne
06-20-2003, 05:37 PM
I've got the Luke and Vader on preorder. Is it the best Jedi Luke then Tyco? I actually like the one out of the cinema scene, but that's also a one pose wonder too. :)

Tycho
06-20-2003, 07:06 PM
Jedi Luke's to date:

carded '96 - I like this one. The head sculpt is Luke, he's got a cool Jedi Cloak mold going, and it's good for all pre-Endor scenes. The king prize for some variation hunters for sure, I don't mind however he looks, only the "high heels" miffed me.

w. Rancor - sort of weird neck. OK, for what he is. Nice to throw us a bone.

w. Skiff - kind of sick looking. This one belongs in a bacta tank! I can't compliment this one really, but it's not the worst.

Complete Galaxy: the worst. He's ill, inbred, and a reason to pre-screen your infants prior to birth for all developments of birth defects.

w. speederbike - give the cloak to an Ishi Tibb to make him a Jabba-scum, and wallah- the best Death Star II Luke they make! Head swap him with any decent Luke head sculpt - Dark Empire is a nice choice - and you have an awesome Luke Death Star II figure!

w. Cinema scene: this is the best natural Jedi Luke (no customizing involved) He can be in one fight pose, but I also have him on his knees, removing his father's helmet. So the figure is slightly versatile, as well as a good sculpt. I like this one too!

Recent Saga Jedi Luke? He's cooler than the Rancor, Complete Galaxy, and Skiff ones. It's not much of an improvement though.

I can't wait to see the '04 Jedi Luke! Bet it will be with the vest though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Snowtrooper - his "action feature" is not technically bad at all. It's firing the tri-pod gun, just like the Clone Captain's. Well, you push on the Snowtrooper's back-pack I guess. These figures were loose when I saw them, so I didn't have the cardback to know he did that and then to try it out.

So "don't know" is really your answer.