PDA

View Full Version : The Punisher movie (merged)

James Boba Fettfield
04-03-2003, 10:56 AM
While I wanted Dolph Lundgren to play Frank again, I guess I'll have to settle on this Thomas Jane fellow.

What was first reported by Comingsoon.net, has now been confirmed by Ain't-It-Cool-News - Thomas Jane is The Punisher...

By that point, Kevin Feige, Avi's second-in-command, had joined us, and the two of them went over a few quick points. One of the things they said is that they just closed the deal on THE PUNISHER, meaning it's now official... Marvel must love BOOGIE NIGHTS, because they put Molina in SPIDER-MAN, and they're putting Thomas Jane in the Punisher’s suit. We joked with Avi that all he needed to do now was find a great bad guy role for Burt Reynolds.

Thanks to 'DaveW' and 'Edward Brock'.

Coming Soon (http://www.superherohype.com/cgi-bin/news/fullnews.cgi?newsid1049374496,24587,)

QLD
04-03-2003, 10:59 AM
Is Dolph Lundgren even still alive????

:crazed:

The Overlord Returns
04-03-2003, 11:03 AM
Thomas jane eh?..........

Hmm...it could work.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-03-2003, 11:17 AM
Hm, i've never seen his work to my knowledge, but he definately looks the part sans the blonde hair. He definately has that disgruntled grungy POed look to him. Score! :D

Eternal Padawan
04-03-2003, 03:29 PM
Darnit. I was hoping Jane would fill Steve Rogers big, red, cuffed boots.

And I wanted Michael Wincott to play a gravelly voiced Frank Castigloni.

But, hey, Jane is better than Adam Garcia, who they were originally toying with. Bleah. :p

So now I want Cole Hauser to play Cap. :)

So...Is Microchip gonna be in the movie?

RooJay
04-03-2003, 07:01 PM
I had my reservations at first, but I think Jane might end up being a more or less perfect choice.

Here's another, more Punisher-esque, pic.

By the way, what do you think of Ron Eldard as Cap, EP? In my opinion, he's got all the right qualities to pull of the idealistic to a fault, all-american Cap.

derek
04-03-2003, 07:15 PM
thomas jane is a pretty good actor. he played mickey mantle in the HBO film "61*" and he's in the "dreamcatcher" film.

he was also in "deep blue sea" and that cameron diaz movie, "the sweetest thing"

Darth Jax
04-03-2003, 11:13 PM
hopefully with the success of recent comic book to movie transitions the punisher will be big and we'll be treated to several installments. the original with dolph wasn't that bad for that time period.

Sentinel18725
04-04-2003, 01:18 AM
How about getting Tom Sizemore some work. Put him in as Microchip!

Amy
04-04-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by RooJay
I had my reservations at first, but I think Jane might end up being a more or less perfect choice.

Here's another, more Punisher-esque, pic.

By the way, what do you think of Ron Eldard as Cap, EP? In my opinion, he's got all the right qualities to pull of the idealistic to a fault, all-american Cap.

Yeah he looks better there. I dont know, maybe it will work. I still cant stand the fact that Ben Afleck played Daredevil.

James Boba Fettfield
04-04-2003, 05:40 PM
Affleck was good in the role of Murdock. Now if you want something bad, here it comes.

He wouldn't mind playing the Silver Surfer in a movie of the Marvel comic book, because like Diesel's own vague ethnic background and broad appeal, "the Surfer is an intergalactic superhero," who is "one step further than all these regional superheroes."

National Post (http://www.nationalpost.com/search/site/story.asp?id=20F7A138-20CE-4371-9CA8-1B75F44D6D7A)

So Vin Diesel wants to be the Silver Surfer. Expect Tom Arnold to show his interest in playing Galactus next.

Eternal Padawan
04-04-2003, 05:45 PM
Ron Eldard, eh? Yeah, I can see that. He'd have to bulk up a little, but he'd make a good goody two shoes.

RooJay
04-04-2003, 10:35 PM
I don't know...he looks pretty buff to me. Take a look at this pic from Ghost Ship (he was looking pretty big in that movie, which is what gave me the idea in the first place). I've also found out that he used to be a Golden Gloves boxer before he broke into acting.

Prince Xizor
04-06-2003, 10:02 PM
I'm not so sure about this. I just recently saw Dreamcatcher, and it was pretty damn bad...

But then again, he can't be worse than good old Dolph.

RooJay
04-07-2003, 12:25 PM
Well I thought Dreamcatcher was pretty good. Not that T. Jane gave a very good performance in it, but the character of the Punisher isn't someone you'd need a lot of talent to play. It's pretty much just a matter of scowling and shooting guns. Dolph was a bad choice mainly because it was difficult for fans to stomach a Nordic Frank Castiglione. The rest of that movie's problems lay in the script, which was just about as bad as they get.

Prince Xizor
04-07-2003, 02:59 PM
Don't forget the paint by numbers facial hair...

James Boba Fettfield
05-13-2003, 11:17 PM
The villian has been cast according to Superhero Hype and Variety...

According to Variety, Artisan Pictures and Marvel Studios have set John Travolta to play the lead villain opposite Thomas Jane in the adaptation, which Jonathan Hensleigh is directing from his own script. Filming begins in July, for a summer 2004 release. The trade gives the following description:

"The Punisher" is the tale of an FBI undercover agent who, just as he's completed his last mission that will lead to a cushy desk job, sees his family slaughtered. He becomes single-mindedly determined to exact revenge. Travolta plays Howard Saint, a former underworld figure who goes straight but returns to old habits after his son is slain. The two men square off against one another.

"Howard Saint is not a one-dimensional villain, but a real person with a believable character arc," said Artisan Pictures production president Richard Saperstein. "John brings intelligence and humanity to that character."

"We spent a lot of time discussing the role, and the things he would bring to make the villain unique," said Marvel Studios CEO Avi Arad, who's producing with Gale Anne Hurd. "That proved to be the attraction. John is a great endorsement for the comic, which has been a big property for Marvel."

www.punisherthemovie.com is the movie's website. Nothing is there as of yet, just takes you to the Artisan website.
Attached is a picture of the movie's teaser poster.

Eternal Padawan
05-14-2003, 09:16 PM
Bleah. Ol' Frank's never had a proper rogue's gallery (because he keeps offing them) but a made up villain played by John Travolta smells like a fish that fell behind the fridge and you found its worm infested carcas about ten years later...

I'm getting sceptical about this one...

RooJay
05-17-2003, 12:21 AM
OR...you could look at it another way, and take it as a good omen that they were willing to spend the money to attract a star like Travolta to play the bad guy...

BanthaPoodoo
06-20-2003, 02:07 PM
Anyone hear anything about this movie? Just watched the teaser, looks okay, just hope they do the comic justice.

Man I am in heaven with all these superhero movies getting made!

Teaser: http://www.apple.com/trailers/artisan/the_punisher/teaser/

sith_killer_99
06-20-2003, 02:55 PM
The web sites give no info. Who's in it? It was kinda hard to tell from the trailer.

El Chuxter
06-20-2003, 03:06 PM
There's actually already a thread on this, though it's listed under the Punisher's real name (Frank Castle): http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18672

Sniff, sniff. . . I smells a merge comin' on, Henry!! :D

I saw the movie poster for this: one half of the Punisher skull (slightly redesigned) on a dark red background. This one oughtta be good.

BanthaPoodoo
06-20-2003, 05:08 PM
No wonder nothing turned up during the search.....

I would never think to search for Frank Castle!

jpak001
06-20-2003, 07:20 PM
Yeah, I'm looking forward to a well done Punisher flick (especially after that Dolph Lundgren abomination many years ago).

The teaser really is just that, a teaser. Doesn't really give much info as far as the actual flick goes. Just shows a table full of weapons & pans up to the man himself. It's really quick and kinda hard to make out much details.

I just hope for two things:

1. They don't make him a short guy (like they did w/Keaton as Batman). Punisher needs to a tall and intimidating.

2. It's rated R so they can really do the current comic justice.

plo koon 200
06-27-2003, 11:25 AM
I thought it hasn't been rated but it better be rated R or there is just no way it can be good.

OC47150
07-14-2003, 05:14 PM
My hope is the new Punisher movie follows the comic series better than the Lundgren version. While Lundgren's version is watchable, it's not true to the comic.

At least this Frank Castle will be wearing the skull T-shirt!!!!!!!!!!

RooJay
07-14-2003, 08:31 PM
Both Blade and Blade 2 were rated R so it seems that there may be a better than even chance of Punisher being R rated (and thus cool) as well.

Darth Jax
07-14-2003, 11:06 PM
can't imagine how you could have a movie about a vigilante and it not feature several instances of villians dying. definitely will need an R rating to be true to the comic. while it has a villian never introduced in the comic (they all seem to die), travolta has done his turn as the bad guy several times. generally manages to pull it off quite nicely. as long as he doesn't talk through clenched teeth ala broken arrow.

The Overlord Returns
07-15-2003, 01:30 PM
I think releasing this in summer is one hella bad idea.....

However, I hope they take a page out if Garth Ennis' book and include a scene where Frank cold calks a polar bear!

Beast
07-25-2003, 02:58 PM
Full cast list has been announced. Sounds good, has to be better then the first 'fake' Punisher movie. :)

ARTISAN AND MARVEL COMPLETE CASTING FOR THE PUNISHER

Film To Begin Principal Photography In Tampa On August 2nd

LOS ANGELES – July 24, 2003 – Final casting has been completed for Artisan Pictures and Marvel Studios highly anticipated event film The Punisher as a collection of talented and established actors have signed on to play key roles in the film based on Marvel Comics’ enormously popular comic book series of the same name. In addition to Thomas Jane as the title character, John Travolta as “Howard Saint,” Laura Harring as “Livia Saint,” and Rebecca Romijn-Stamos as “Joan,” the principal cast will include Samantha Mathis (American Psycho) as the Punisher’s wife, Amanda Castle. Will Patton (Remember the Titans) will play Leonard Glass, the right-hand man to villain Howard Saint while James Carpinello (“Felicity”) will play the role of Howard Saint’s son, John Saint. Mark Collie (Fire Down Below) will play the evil assassin Harry Heck. Ben Foster (“Six Feet Under”) has been cast as Spacker Dave and John Pinette (Duets) as Mr. Bumpo, both friends of Frank Castle. Eddie Jamison (Oceans Eleven) will play Nicky Duka, and Russell Andrews (The In-Laws) will play the role of FBI Agent Jimmy Weeks.

The Punisher tells the story of FBI undercover agent, Frank Castle, who until now has beat considerable odds. A former Special Forces operative, he is finally moving out of the field and into a desk job – and a normal life with his wife and son. Then Castle’s world is shaken to its core by a nightmare he has long feared: his family is executed as a repercussion from his final undercover assignment. With unparalleled intensity, ferocious intelligence and fearless actions, Castle seeks to punish the murderers – and finds the one thing he least expected: redemption.

The film is being directed by renowned screenwriter Jonathan Hensleigh and produced by Marvel’s Avi Arad (Spider-Man, X-Men, Daredevil, The Hulk) and Gale Anne Hurd (The Hulk, Aliens, The Terminator). Principal photography will commence on August 2nd in Tampa, Florida and the film is scheduled to hit theaters in summer 2004.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mrmiller
07-25-2003, 10:46 PM
Sounds good to me- but I would have rather had seen Will Patton as the main villian. It seems like he could paly a cold calculating villian, while Travolta might just be too over the top.

=MATT=

RooJay
07-28-2003, 11:46 PM
Those who attended the San Diego Comic Con and caught site of the prop tombstone at the Punisher booth may note that the character's true name has aparently been changed from Frank Castiglione (americanized to Castle) in the comics to just Francis Castle in the movie.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-21-2004, 10:53 AM
The new trailer has been posted up at Yahoo movies.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/thepunisher.html

Color me excited for this movie as this trailer is FAR superior than the last one; i loved the acoustic song voice over, very haunting. check it out! :D

2-1B
02-22-2004, 01:29 AM
I saw some posters at the theater tonight and I'm pumped up for this movie.
Thomas Jane is awesome. He should be good in this. :)

Still . . . I'm a big Dolph Lundgren fan. :D

Sentinel18725
02-22-2004, 09:37 AM
It looked like in the trailer that there was a little "Mariachi" reference.....also, was that Dave Spackle (sp) from the new most recent series (pre MAX)....seemed like him with the "nobody has ever stuck up for me" routine....I didn't know that Mystique..I mean Rebecca was in this.

Rocketboy
02-22-2004, 08:44 PM
It looked like in the trailer that there was a little "Mariachi" reference.....also, was that Dave Spackle (sp) from the new most recent series (pre MAX)....seemed like him with the "nobody has ever stuck up for me" routine....I didn't know that Mystique..I mean Rebecca was in this.Rebbeca R. Stamos plays Joan "the mouse." And yeah, that was Spacker Dave. I think they also show Mr. Bumpo really quick.

Can't wait for April 16!