PDA

View Full Version : My new IPOD

stillakid
06-21-2003, 01:26 AM
This thing is great! :)

It's taking me a year and a day to digitize all my CD's and properly organize everything in Music Match (which sucks because I've been using RealOne), but it is so AWESOME to have ALL my music in one convenient little white box.

Exhaust Port
06-21-2003, 02:17 AM
I'm very jealous. A friend of mine got one about 6 months ago and I was instantly hooked. Now I see you can get an adapter that allows you to listen to your IPod over your car stereo! How cool is that! I've been pondering getting a CD Player for my car but at this point it would be smarter to get the IPod with the adapter.

If you don't like yours at any point, I can give it a good home. ;)

EricRG
06-21-2003, 02:30 AM
The iPod rocks. I can't WAIT to get one.

Darth Jax
06-22-2003, 01:05 AM
the iPod is cool. i really enjoy iTunes as well. as with cell phones, there are all manner of attachments and goodies you can get for it. car adapters, remote controls, carrying cases with belt clips. use mine all the time while hiking, biking, skiing.

stillakid
06-22-2003, 03:40 PM
:( Music Match Jukebox sucks. Why did they pick this dog of a program to link the IPOD to? My first upload to the box went fine, but I only put about 1000 songs on it. I just spent a few days getting the rest of my collection in order, then clicked on synchronize to get the rest on. Stupid thing doesn't do it right. So now I'm in the process of manually dragging and dropping my genre folders over. I'll have to email RealOne to see if/when they'll get a plugin.

Anybody else have this problem?

By the way, I'm using the Windows version.

darthvyn
06-22-2003, 08:58 PM
they use musicmatch because it's the closest thing to iTunes, which is just about the penultimate computer music player application ever made... musicmatch is really good, at least for what i use it for... i don't have an iPod, i just use it to play/record/rip cd's and mp3's and such... if you get the latest edition of musicmatch (ver. 8.0) it should work better. anyway, iTunes is the macintosh music player, and is much better than anything pc's have.

on a side note, realplayer is evil incarnate and i never want to have it on my system again. the most recent time i downloaded it, it decided to make itself the default player for EVERYTHING on my computer. and i'm very NOT computer illiterate, meaning that shouldn't have slipped by me, but it did. yeah, i don't like it at all...

Darth Jax
06-23-2003, 11:17 AM
iTunes is absolutely the best player out there. very easy to operate. and now it's even a music service, but without a high-speed connection i haven't used that feature.

stillakid
06-23-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by darthvyn
they use musicmatch because it's the closest thing to iTunes, which is just about the penultimate computer music player application ever made... musicmatch is really good, at least for what i use it for... i don't have an iPod, i just use it to play/record/rip cd's and mp3's and such... if you get the latest edition of musicmatch (ver. 8.0) it should work better. anyway, iTunes is the macintosh music player, and is much better than anything pc's have.

on a side note, realplayer is evil incarnate and i never want to have it on my system again. the most recent time i downloaded it, it decided to make itself the default player for EVERYTHING on my computer. and i'm very NOT computer illiterate, meaning that shouldn't have slipped by me, but it did. yeah, i don't like it at all...

My current problem is that it won't transfer all the files automatically as advertised. If it hits some file it doesn't like (I have no idea what is special about some of these files), the entire process just stops instead of just skipping over the "problem."

Also, there is no "search for missing tracks" feature that RealOne has. For example, it I delete a track on my harddrive or rename it, MusicMatch has no feature to seek these out in the library and delete them automatically. This can be a real problem if I delete or alter a large number of file names.

So why would this come up you might ask? RealOne can be set up to read the file names for Tagging in the library. For instance:

Song name - Artist - Album - Genre

That's how I have mine set up. But, I discovered, after burning a bunch of CD's onto the harddrive with MusicMatch, that it wasn't including the genre description with new CD's on the original file name. And if I imported previous tracks into MusicMatch that already had been named in the format above, MusicMatch doesn't "read" that last category "genre." Why not?

Two simple and obvious programming flaws. They seem simple but open up a situation where one click would save literal hours of time on the keyboard.

Anyway, my other computer is currently transferring files as I have to manually choose the files as I can't trust the program to automatically do it anymore.

I've heard about something called Elphpod that is supposed to be better and faster somehow. Ever hear of it? Is it only for Mac?

Oh, and to reset your file associations in MusicMatch, go to the top menu under OPTIONS, then SETTINGS. On the GENERAL tab, you should see the check boxes for reclaiming your files. MusicMatch is just as nefarious at taking files as any other program. They all do that automatically. RealOne, Musicmatch, Quicktime, my ATI File player. :)

DewMan37
07-11-2003, 11:11 PM
I have an MP3 CD player, I can burn 700 mbs of MP3's to a disk, and it plays them, for a very long time too.

Realplayer is the worst media player out there, I will never install it on any of my machines. I made that mistake once, and that was the end of it. Musicmatch is way too slow and unstable for my liking. Winamp 2.9 is where it's at, all of the features of 3, in the winamp 2 interface.

Exhaust Port
07-12-2003, 12:21 AM
I use to love Realplayer until about 2 years ago when it became more of a tool for advertisements than playing media files. I rarely use it at all now.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-12-2003, 12:28 AM
:( Music Match Jukebox sucks.

I've had problems with this ridiculous program since it came out!!! I disliked it then and I refuse to EVER put it on any machine I have!

I know many other's both pc and mac users who've had problems with this program and ended up uninstalling it.

sorry you are having troubles, but on the other hand, you have an ipod ;)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-12-2003, 12:31 AM
Well, i got CD's, some tapes and records, so ha!!! And yeah, I can play tapes and Cd's in my car, at home and at the office!!! Yeah!!! and i can play some ole' vinyls on my record player downstairs!! hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!

So, take that and your fancy technology and your Ipod and your portable music player!!! It'll be a fad, like Virtual Boy!!! so, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!! :D

Now, if you'll excuse me, i can hear my 8-track changing tracks, gotta go make sure it's working properly. ;)

Deoxyribonucleic
07-12-2003, 12:35 AM
Well, i got CD's, some tapes and records, so ha!!!
Now, if you'll excuse me, i can hear my 8-track changing tracks, gotta go make sure it's working properly. ;)

WHAT!!!??? You don't have a reel to reel????

My Mom still has some old Supremes on reel to reel, whatta trip. :crazed:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-12-2003, 12:39 AM
hehehehehehehe It's my folks! I like to look at it from time to time and remember those days of the 8-track..i think it was in the era of parachute pants, huge oversize buttons and those hats where you could fold the bill up and it had something underneath. ;)

darthvyn
07-12-2003, 06:24 PM
My current problem is that it won't transfer all the files automatically as advertised. If it hits some file it doesn't like (I have no idea what is special about some of these files), the entire process just stops instead of just skipping over the "problem."

I've heard about something called Elphpod that is supposed to be better and faster somehow. Ever hear of it? Is it only for Mac?

Oh, and to reset your file associations in MusicMatch, go to the top menu under OPTIONS, then SETTINGS. On the GENERAL tab, you should see the check boxes for reclaiming your files. MusicMatch is just as nefarious at taking files as any other program. They all do that automatically. RealOne, Musicmatch, Quicktime, my ATI File player. :)

i really don't know how it works with the ipod... all i know is the basic player/burner/ripper program, and i've never had any problems with it...

my file settings are all A-OK now... don't worry, i definitely know what i'm doing in terms of setting up computers - i've built four of them by now. realplayer just somehow slipped it by me that it wanted to be the default for everything - even dvd playback! i was like "no you don't!" *uninstall* everything fine... the next time i downloaded it (yeah, i downloaded it in a weakened state of ".rm is the only file format this vid comes in??? consarnit!") i did a custom install instead of the automatic install, and made sure it didn't associate itself with anything but it's own media.

out of all the programs you mentioned above, only realplayer associated itself with everything without at least telling me it was doing so... i dunno...

haven't heard of elphpod, and i couldn't find anything on google... weird.

really the best solution is - get a mac. :D the way itunes handles mp3's is far superior to either musicmatch or realone...

Exhaust Port
01-12-2005, 12:06 PM
I recieved my very own iPod in the mail today and the CD-iPod transfers have begun. I'm pretty freakin' excited. :D

QLD
01-12-2005, 01:02 PM
I got the 30gb I-Pod during the summer, and I love it. But mine uses I-Tunes, which I find to be much superior to Musicmatch. In fact, I hate musicmatch. If you are able to, and I don't see why you wouldn't be, I would download I-Tunes and use it. It's basically built FOR the I-Pod.

Exhaust Port
01-12-2005, 01:17 PM
I bought the 20GB version and it came with iTunes. Must be a new thing then to have it packaged in with the iPod?

LusiferSam
01-12-2005, 02:07 PM
No, that shouldn't be a new thing. Apple started making a Windows version of iTunes several months ago and should have started shipping it not long after that. And for you non Mac folks its iPod and iTunes, like iMac. That is a lower case i.

JON9000
01-13-2005, 11:40 PM
:( Music Match Jukebox sucks.

Try itunes. Works wonderfully. If all your tracks are on your hard drive, they shouldnt be too hard to transfer

Exhaust Port
01-14-2005, 03:46 PM
Question for you iPod owners....

Is there an easy way to combine 2 discs into 1 album on the iPod? I put several 2 disc albums and it keeps the songs in 2 seperate folders. I'm hoping to keep all the songs on a 2 disc album in 1 large album but maintain the original song order.

JON9000
01-14-2005, 03:50 PM

Is there an easy way to combine 2 discs into 1 album on the iPod? I put several 2 disc albums and it keeps the songs in 2 seperate folders. I'm hoping to keep all the songs on a 2 disc album in 1 large album but maintain the original song order.
Why not just create a playlist in itunes with every song of each album in order on it?

Exhaust Port
01-14-2005, 04:40 PM
I guess I could, but I'm curious about altering how songs are stored and stuff. I guess I can be a control freak when it comes to organizing my digital things. I like it sleek and streamlined and the playlist doesn't fix the album error. :)

JON9000
01-14-2005, 04:54 PM
I guess I could, but I'm curious about altering how songs are stored and stuff. I guess I can be a control freak when it comes to organizing my digital things. I like it sleek and streamlined and the playlist doesn't fix the album error. :)
You could also erase all the tracks, disconnect your computer from the internet, and load the tracks manually, however, in your artist listing the group will appear twice.

LusiferSam
01-14-2005, 10:44 PM

If you're using iTunes its super easy. Its a matter of renaming the album. When iTunes imports a disk its calls it (for example) The Wall (Disk 1) and The Wall (Disk 2). So you need to rename the album on all the tracks. To do this (again for iTunes) highlight the track name of the first track and go to "Get Info" in the Mac version its in the File meun or the normal keyboard short cut (I assume its similar for the Windows version). Next go over to the Info tab to change the name of the album and make sure its track 1 of what even and disk 1 of 2. Then hit the Next button to go to the next track. Keep doing that till to get to the second disk. That point you'll it to say track 1 of many disk 2 of 2. Not ultra fast, but pretty painless and much better than making a playlist.

Exhaust Port
01-14-2005, 11:01 PM
Thanks LusiferSam. :) I played around with it for awhile and got the 2-disc albums to show as 1, thank goodness. Pink Floyd: The Wall will be something I tackle here in a bit. I'm currently doing K through M right now so Pink Floyd is coming up. Of course M means I have to tackle my Metallica selection and that could take awhile. :D

Exhaust Port
01-15-2005, 04:24 PM
Has anyone used any of the other compression options available or stuck with the default Apple compression? I stuck with the default Apple compression as it gives the best sound from what I've read.

I have about 2300 songs so far for a total of 9 GB which I'm pretty happy with. At this rate I will easily be able to fit my chosen CD's on to the iPod with room to spare. There have been a number of CD's I've skipped that I might go back and add.

What playlists do you have? I'm looking for some ideas to mix up the listening. :)

JON9000
01-16-2005, 03:53 PM
Has anyone used any of the other compression options available or stuck with the default Apple compression? I stuck with the default Apple compression as it gives the best sound from what I've read.

I have about 2300 songs so far for a total of 9 GB which I'm pretty happy with. At this rate I will easily be able to fit my chosen CD's on to the iPod with room to spare. There have been a number of CD's I've skipped that I might go back and add.

What playlists do you have? I'm looking for some ideas to mix up the listening. :)
I don't know about different compression types. If you mean wav. vs. mp3 I always use mp3 because it apparently uses less space.

I've only made two mixes so far, one for running and one for lifting. My running mix consists primarily of uptempo electronic stuff, a lot of it from Matrix: Reloaded. It also has a couple of workout songs from Rocky (how cliche and dorky :crazed: ) and a couple of rock songs thrown in like She Sells Sanctuary. My lifting mix has more standard rock songs, Franz Ferdinand, Pink Floyd, Primus, Tears for Fears, Prodigy.

I need to make more, because randomly accessing songs eats up the battery.

Exhaust Port
01-16-2005, 03:58 PM
Did you make Smart Playlists or just manually enter the playlist songs?

As for song quality you can select 1 of 5 types under Preferences/Importing. AAC is the default with 4 other types ranging in quality. I was curious if anyone bothered with the others and if they noticed a difference.

JON9000
01-16-2005, 05:16 PM
Did you make Smart Playlists or just manually enter the playlist songs?

As for song quality you can select 1 of 5 types under Preferences/Importing. AAC is the default with 4 other types ranging in quality. I was curious if anyone bothered with the others and if they noticed a difference.

I make the playlists in itunes and they import automatically when I hook up the ipod.

As for song quality, I don't think it would make a world of difference given the speakers are a pair of earbuds with a very limited dynamic range. I haven't tried though...

Exhaust Port
04-15-2005, 05:51 PM
Here's something for all you iPod owners.

http://www.itunesregistry.com/index.php

You register your iPod playlist and it creates charts and stuff off what songs, artists and albums you have and how often you play them.

I don't know if others can view the list but here's mine:

http://www.itunesregistry.com/user/user/152Driver

stillakid
04-15-2005, 11:25 PM
Here's something for all you iPod owners.

http://www.itunesregistry.com/index.php

You register your iPod playlist and it creates charts and stuff off what songs, artists and albums you have and how often you play them.

Cool, thanks! Now they can track what music you have and figure out if you have legal copies. :D

James Boba Fettfield
04-15-2005, 11:34 PM

I approve 100% of that top artist on your list. Second one is great, too.

Exhaust Port
04-16-2005, 01:20 AM
Cool, thanks! Now they can track what music you have and figure out if you have legal copies. :D

It's all legal baby! :) I still have this need to have a hard copy of all my music.

I approve 100% of that top artist on your list. Second one is great, too.

And to think I held back on burning all my albums into my iPod. ;)

It appears that all my SW soundtracks really bumped the London Symphony up the list.

As far as I can tell, this program only identifies what you've listened to through iTunes. That would skew my listening habits as I just hit play and it randomly goes through all 3000+ songs with very little intervention on my part. I could be wrong, so I guess I'll have to read more into the website.

darko666
04-17-2005, 12:00 PM
It's all legal baby! :) I still have this need to have a hard copy of all my music.

i'm the same way. i made a copy of all my cds onto my hard drives. i have over 40gigs worth of metal on my computer. it's just a fail safe in case something happens to my cds. that site for the ipod is cool, but i doubt i will register to that site.

QLD
04-18-2005, 01:02 PM
This is a neat thing. I love my i-Pod and i-Tunes.

One of my favorite things about my iPod (which will come in handy for my road trip to Indy this week) is that it makes listening to music while driving so much better, and easier. I usually just put the library on random, and go.

Here is my list. I need to do some song rating, and organization, but it's a start.

http://www.itunesregistry.com/user/user/rmartin999

James Boba Fettfield
04-18-2005, 01:44 PM
Baby Got Back and Louie Louie. I should not be surprised to find those classics on the list. ;)

The Presidents of the United States of America, what ever happened to them?

Very diverse list there. Even has Kermit the Frog on it.