PDA

View Full Version : Wave by Wave, favorite figure survey

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Tycho
06-21-2003, 08:58 PM
OK, don't move this thread just because it's not about Saga Characters YET. It will be. Let's see if we can get err...say 20 responses on favorite figures, wave by wave.

DONT DISCUSS LATER WAVES UNTIL I POST ITS TIME TO MOVE ON.

What's your favorite 1995 figure:

Luke
Han
Leia
Chewie
R2D2
C-3PO
Darth Vader
Stormtrooper
Obi-Wan Kenobi

JUST NAME ONE (1) and not dribble on about which character ranked next, or worst for that matter. Just pick your favorite and answer with that please.

I'll go first:

I like the Stormtrooper. It was my first chance to army-build!

Beast
06-21-2003, 09:08 PM
Gotta go with StormTrooper as well.

Sure the sculpt is out of date by today's standards. And he was a bit buff. But he wasn't as bad as most of the other figures that came out in that wave. Infact he still works in dioramas today, if you put them in the back. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Battle Droid
06-21-2003, 09:18 PM
Definately the Stormtrooper. (It and the rereleased version of it is the only stormtrooper figures I have, and only one of each of those.)

sith_killer_99
06-21-2003, 09:29 PM
Darth Vader and Stormtrooper tie in my book!:p

IG-808
06-21-2003, 09:33 PM
Darth Vader

Anakin2121
06-21-2003, 10:09 PM
The stormtrooper, most definitely. While he was somewhat "ripped," and didn't have a neck, and he lacked the little black holster hanging from his left hip that all the stormtroopers in ANH had (did they in the other two movies?), his overall costume was far more accurate than Vader's, which I believe had some sort of inconsistency (correct me if I'm wrong), and Han's, which was lacking those grid-lined "pockets" that he has on the back of his vest.
Luke had enormous, bulging muscles, and all sorts of guns that he never used, and Leia was some hideous combination of man and monkey.

LTBasker
06-21-2003, 11:14 PM
I'd have to say the Stormtrooper. Yeah, it's not the best figure in the world however, it was one of the best and most accurate in it's own way for the POTF2 line. It had the exact accessories it needed, had some good detailing in the armor. Though buff it gave it an intimidating look sort of. The no neck thing was actually fairly accurate as you aren't supposed to be able to see the necks that well, especially from the front.

Though he was action posed he still looked good standing in a neutral scene, he was just on alert. :D

Kidhuman
06-21-2003, 11:54 PM
I would have to say Vader.

DarthChuckMc
06-22-2003, 12:26 AM
Hmmm......R2-D2....the first appearence of his "third leg".

Darth Sidious
06-22-2003, 10:28 AM
Stormtrooper. Intimidating army builder, best (Or most movie-accurate) sculpt out of any from that wave.

Turbowars
06-22-2003, 11:24 AM
Vader

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
06-22-2003, 12:36 PM
Obi-Wan Kenobi

mark2d2
06-22-2003, 01:18 PM
I have to say good o'le Artoo as well. Not only was this the first appearance of the third leg --- but also, NO MORE STICKER. :) (The Clicking! head was sorely missed, however.) Of all the initial figures I believe that --- hands down! --- this was the ONLY figure that was AMAZINGLY, SHOCKINGLY more movie accurate. (Some of the others had improvements, sure, but none on such a grand scale as this. Artoo, actually really looked like Artoo. It was shocking. . . )

He was also the ONLY of the first wave to escape the Soloflex unscathed.

When I first saw him at the Star Tours store in Disneyland --- I totally thought they were a park exclusive --- my eyes just popped! The Light-up eye pipe feature was also something I was truly in awe of.

Yes, indeed. All others paled in comparison.

Old Fossil
06-22-2003, 02:13 PM
Vader. Still an impressive figure.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-22-2003, 02:36 PM
Eh, all the originals suck, but I'll say stormtrooper.

dr_evazan22
06-22-2003, 03:03 PM
I have a tie between R2 and 3PO, but my choice will be 3PO. They did a good job of capturing the way Anthony Daniels stands in the costume, and he wasn't subjected to the Soloflex, as someone else said.

TheDarthVader
06-22-2003, 05:43 PM
I will have to say Darth Vader, the central character.

I am Jabba the Hutt
06-22-2003, 08:03 PM
Luke Skywalker

jjreason
06-23-2003, 12:55 AM
My favourite 95 figure was Obi Wan.

Tycho
06-23-2003, 01:36 PM
OK, we almost got 20 votes in here, and the stormtrooper and Darth Vader are really close. We'll keep an eye on newbies picking their favorites between them, but really the stormtrooper won, and I'd like to give these 9 a rest for now.

Now choose your favorite figure from: (1996's)

Luke Snowspeeder
Lando Calrissian
Boba Fett
Han Hoth
Master Yoda
Luke Dagobah
TIE Fighter Pilot

I would personally have to choose Boba Fett. I was really excited to get him and I think the sculpt and especially the paint job has stood the test of time. Newer versions have not been THAT much better - the Fett 300 being great, but he could've been more poseable for all the added articulation.

Beast
06-23-2003, 01:57 PM
Going to have to go with the TIE Fighter Pilot.

It's basically one of the only figures that still holds the test of time since the release. It's also one of the few early figures that hasn't or doesn't really need an urgent resculpt for being buff or badly done. Hell, other then the addition of the knees on the ones that come with the exclusive TIE's, it's still available in it's original configuration. :)

seth_quinn
06-23-2003, 03:01 PM
r2-d2 from 95 & boba fett from 96. all about the nostalgia.

Dark Marble
06-23-2003, 03:31 PM
...R2-D2 from the first line up, and the Tie Pilot from the second line up. I had been waiting for a real R2 since the original line ended, and the tie pilot is still one of the best looking imperials in my opinion. I must have at least 25 of them now.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-23-2003, 04:01 PM
I'll go with R2 from 1995 and TIE Fighter Pilot from 1996 (though Boba Fett is a close second). I don't recall if Kenner made a TFP way back and if so I never got it. It's a cool looking figure and was novel to me so it gets my vote.

sith_killer_99
06-23-2003, 05:15 PM
Fighter Pilot that is and of course Boba Fett. Do you see a trend developing with me? Hey, it's not my fault Kenner did good things in twos.

Luke Snowspeeder?!?!? Is that the X-Wing Luke with his snowspeeder outfit, yet labeled "X-Wing"?

JangoFart
06-23-2003, 05:32 PM
1995 = R2-D2 as all others looked like crap. Hasbro/Kenner was still in a He-Man mood, apparently.

1996 = TIE Fighter Pilot, as Hasbro/Kenner was still in He-Man mode. Even with Fett - just too damn muscular.

J

DarthChuckMc
06-23-2003, 05:40 PM
I'm a pickin'...and a grinnin'.......

TIE Pilot for me as well. Huge improvement over the grey gloved non-head articulated vintage one.

Dr Zoltar
06-23-2003, 05:49 PM
I liked the Han Hoth.

Turbowars
06-23-2003, 07:12 PM
That's an easy one, just look to the left.;)

plasticfetish
06-23-2003, 07:33 PM
Oh see, you snooze you loose ... for '95 ... C-3PO. Even though he's got kind of a wide stance for a protocol droid ... I was happy to see that figure when it came out.

Mmmm, tough. I'll say Fett for '96. This one got me hooked.
... dribble dribble dribble ...
I still really like that figure. One of the few from then that I haven't handed over to my kid. Tie pilot is the other ... the Yoda is OK, but even he didn't escape the big biceps thing.

I noticed R5-D4 wasn't on the list ... it'll be on the '97 list right?

Kidhuman
06-23-2003, 08:00 PM
'96 eh? I would also have to say Tie Fighter Pilot and Boba Fett. Tie fighter guy had a great sculpt and Boba, well ya know;)

Hellboy
06-23-2003, 08:06 PM
The TIE Pilot easily gets my vote.

Still one of my personal favorites and is a perfect example of why every type of troop should have at least 1 neutrally posed figure produced.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-23-2003, 08:16 PM
I guess TIE Pilot or Yoda. The TIE Pilot looks great and still does today. Yoda is also very good, especially with the backpack and cane. :)

Anakin2121
06-23-2003, 09:25 PM
Boba Fett.

I like the TIE pilot, but I got two of 'em and they both had heads that were not securely fastened to their necks, resulting in wobbly heads.

jjreason
06-24-2003, 12:41 AM
I like to make mention of figures I feel were past over, or didn't get their due - that being said, my vote is still for the TIE Pilot. Wicked then, wicked now. Wish I had more of them.

Old Fossil
06-24-2003, 01:12 AM
TIE Pilot. Still have a half dozen of 'em on display with my favorite POTF2/POTJ/Saga figures. Fett is a close second.

dr_evazan22
06-24-2003, 03:06 AM
I had forgotten about Yoda's backpack, which was cool. But I'll go w/ Boba.

pegger
06-24-2003, 09:03 AM
Definately the Tie Fighter Pilot. Still one of the few figs that hasn't been re-done to death..........

IG-808
06-24-2003, 02:42 PM
TIE Fighter Pilot

Deoxyribonucleic
06-24-2003, 02:49 PM
Tie Fighter Pilot!

He was the most accurately sculpted in my opinion!

Tycho
06-24-2003, 03:04 PM
OK, well I have no doubt the TIE Pilot won that round. Let's move on.

We still have some 1996 figures to cover. I'm going to combine 2 waves so that we have enough choices to vote on and we don't waste our time on stuff that's predictably less appreciated (or I might be surprised).

Now you are voting for your favorite amongst:

Dash Rendar
Luke Coruscant Guard Disguise
Prince Xizor
Chewie Snoova Disguise
Leia Boussh Disguise
Han in Carbonite
Luke Jedi Knight

I'm going to go with Luke Jedi Knight. While I've grown accustomed to Jedi figures with turning wrist articulation so I can pose them better, the figure does look like Luke and I dig the molded black cloak! We need a better Luke Jedi, but we really haven't gotten one yet, not to mention he's better or more exciting than these other figures.

Deoxyribonucleic
06-24-2003, 03:10 PM
Leia Boussh for me! She was always one of my fav figs from the vintage line and I was very pleased to see her redone for the new line. This 1996 Boussh version still holds up in detail and sculpt to the new saga figs as well. A very good figure all around!!!

:)

pegger
06-24-2003, 03:50 PM
This is a great Tycho...you're making me dig out my old figs to examine them!!!!

I gotta go with Leia in Boussh - even with the sculpted grenade....Jedi Luke was still too buff, IMO

plasticfetish
06-24-2003, 04:59 PM
Ohhhhhhhh ... it's those Shadows Of The Empire figures that I didn't buy because I had no idea what they were at the time. If I had ever seen the Luke Coruscant Guard figure I would have bought it 'cause it's a cool looking figure, but ...

Leia in Boussh Disguise for me too.

DarthChuckMc
06-24-2003, 05:10 PM
Leia Boussh for me too. Luke was better than the 1st one, but he has those darn platform heels.....I'm not a fan of the platform heels.....except on Gene Simmons, 'cause he's the demon.

Beast
06-24-2003, 05:39 PM
Gonna follow the pack, and go with Leia: Boussh. :)

She's a great figure, that actually still lives up to more recent figures with the quality of the sculpt. I still want to see a re-sculpt of her sometime in the correct height without a detonator welded to her hand though. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jjreason
06-24-2003, 05:41 PM
Chewie Snoova.

No, not really. For me it's Luke Jedi as well.

El Chuxter
06-24-2003, 05:47 PM
Coruscant Guard Luke. An awesome figure that doesn't look particularly dated, like the others. Best of all, put the helmet on and you've got a great EU army builder!

dr_evazan22
06-24-2003, 06:08 PM
Drink Boushh Beer!

sith_killer_99
06-24-2003, 06:22 PM
POTF2 I gotta go with Luke Jedi, SOTE I will say Leia Boussh.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-24-2003, 07:00 PM
This was a great wave. I have three favs, CG Luke, Boushh Leia, and Jedi Luke. Jedi Luke is great because it was the first hooded cape we ever got from the new line and is a great sculpt. I like Boushh Leia due to the removable helmet, which is also a first. I think the hand-molded grenade detracts somewhat because only one hand is left for holding other stuff.

My vote will go to CG Luke. It's a kick-A sculpt and looks totally unStar Wars-like to me. It's novel and, as Chuxie mentioned, has good army builer potential. Plus he looks like he could wipe the floor with those salt shaker Royal Guards.

Turbowars
06-24-2003, 07:04 PM
I'm going with Leia. Why was she put on the SOTE card? Come on guys you know this.;)

sith_killer_99
06-24-2003, 07:34 PM
Because she got the outfit in the novel "Shadows of the Empire", the same time Chewie got his "Bounty Hunter" outfit, Sniveling what's his name.

Yet, she wore the same outfit in ROTJ, so they decided to put her on the regular green card as well.:rolleyes:

And yes, I have both versions, among others.:p

TheDarthVader
06-24-2003, 07:56 PM
old vote- tie fighter pilot, new vote- luke jedi knight!

Tycho
06-25-2003, 10:00 AM
I figured I gotta help keep this thread moving - I'll be in Las Vegas for the rest of the week, so I'm jump-starting the thread a little, as there's still room for 6 new people to decide whether it's Leia Boussh or Jedi Luke.

That being said, it's time to

Vote for your favorite figure in the next wave from amongst:

Greedo
Death Star Gunner
Sandtrooper
Momaw Nadon
Tusken Raider
R5-D4
Jawa 2-pack
Luke Stormtrooper Disguise

I think I have to vote for the Sandtrooper. I just totally dug figures that had never been made before, and this guy was sweet and the figure still is cool by today's standards! - Though this whole wave was really something to get excited about, as it gave us our first real non-core characters in the modern line.

dr_evazan22
06-25-2003, 10:28 AM
R5-D4!

**Everyone pulls out baseball bats and beats the good doctor to a pulp**

After careful consideration I've decided to change my vote to the Sandtrooper.

rherk
06-25-2003, 10:29 AM
I gotta go with Deathstar gunner. Accept the guns were big and cheesy. The Jawas were good too.

Dark Marble
06-25-2003, 11:22 AM
Well, for the last two I am going with Han Carbonite and the Imperial Gunner. I had the originals from the POTF line, and it was good to get updated versions of them. They were leaps and bounds beyond the old stuff.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-25-2003, 12:12 PM
This was another great line. I think I enjoyed every figure minus the Greedo. Just can't get excited about the Greedo.

DS Gunner: Some huge kick-A guns almost the size of the DS superlaser itself.
Sandtrooper: Kind of a one-pose wonder but a nice looking figure nonetheless.
Hammerhead: The most original guns put out yet by Hasbro.
Tusken Raider: Still my favorite of all TR sculpts.
R5-D4: Some wackiness going on with that hidden missile thing but gotta love those astromechs.
Jawas: Our first 2-pack. Thanks for not being so cheap, Hasbro.
Stormie Luke: I'm a sucker for removable helmets. Like CG Luke he can fill two roles. Plus this is before they changed his face sculpt to dorky teenager Luke.

Another tough one to pick but I'll go with the Stormie Luke. A great figure all around.

sith_killer_99
06-25-2003, 12:39 PM
But I gotta go with my TIE between the Sandtrooper and Death Star Gunner!

Honorable mention going to Stormtrooper Luke because the vintage one was SOOOOooooo hard to find.

Beast
06-25-2003, 01:16 PM
Gotta go with the Jawa 2-pack.

Love the two packs, and this was the first basic carded figures in the Star Wars line to give us two figures for the price of one. Sure they are lil uni-legged guys. But those lightpipe eyes are wicked. :D

Oh, and Tycho. Clean out your message box. I can't even send you a reply back that I'd be happy to take over the thread until you get back.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Dr Zoltar
06-25-2003, 01:36 PM
Sandtrooper -- It looks really good carded.

Darth Sidious
06-25-2003, 01:47 PM
Sandtrooper. A bit bulky, but pretty cool looking in general.

pegger
06-25-2003, 02:20 PM
I gotta go with Jawas... 2 for 1

IG-808
06-25-2003, 02:44 PM
Leia Boussh and Sandtrooper

Tycho
06-25-2003, 03:09 PM
Yeah, JarJarBinks is taking over for me while I'm in Las Vegas and he'll move on to '97's "ESB wave" when we have up to 80 votes in this thread.

At 100, I should be back, but just in case, he has the next group of eight (8) since I felt 4 figures in the actual "ROTJ wave" were not enough to vote on, so I'm adding the Leia Slave wave to give us a broader amount of choices, and then clear us through 1997 with two more groups, one being Tarkins-Ackbar's combined, the other being the Gamorrean's with Luke Ceremony.

Please ignore these figures above until the time comes, and continue voting for your favorite from amongst:

Greedo
Death Star Gunner
Sandtrooper
Momaw Nadon
Tusken Raider
R5-D4
Jawa 2-pack

JarJar will move the thread forward at about 80 votes or when the action slows for too long and the group above has an obvious winner.

El Chuxter
06-25-2003, 03:16 PM
Jawas. The light-up eyes still rule to this day. :happy:

DarthChuckMc
06-25-2003, 04:50 PM
Sandtrooper for me. We never got him as kids, so it was nice to finally have one. The light up eyes on the Jawas are cool, but the uni-leg is a let down.

Hellboy
06-25-2003, 05:23 PM
Put me down for Leia Boushh Disguise on the last one and The Death Star Gunner for the next. :cool:

seth_quinn
06-25-2003, 05:23 PM
catching up from 96 pt2: Leia - Boussh Disguise
moving on, Sandtrooper. (even now I do still dig flashing light into the eyes on those jawas though)

running tally so far:
sandtrooper
leia - boussh disguise
boba fett
r2-d2

Deoxyribonucleic
06-25-2003, 06:34 PM
I'm going with deathstar gunner, so evil, so shinny, so black, so COOL!

TheDarthVader
06-25-2003, 06:40 PM
This is the most difficult choice as of yet. I am having a tough time deciding between the Death Star Gunner or the Jawas. DarthChuck, good point with the uni-leg thing. I hate that feature also.
I vote for Death Star Gunner. Nice pose, nice paint, (even though over-done) nice guns! Looks good in the package too!

Kidhuman
06-25-2003, 06:57 PM
Hmmmmmmmmm...I like the Jawas, Death Star gunner and Luke stormtrooper(I never had the original so it was nice ot get). I will pick the Jawas though.

Turbowars
06-25-2003, 07:07 PM
DS Gunner, but I love that Sandtrooper too!

plasticfetish
06-25-2003, 07:17 PM
Why R5-D4 of course ... but not the one with the bent latch. I prefer the one with the straight latch. It's just so much ... straighter.

No, not really ... Sandtrooper.
Better proportions than the regular trooper and he stands pretty well. I like that deal that snaps onto his back also.

jjreason
06-25-2003, 07:53 PM
Im down with Hammerhead on this one. The gun was not great, but talk about upping the ante when compared to vintage, this guy was crazy. I still have this figure out quite often, and it's my favourite of this group. Awesome.

Beast
06-25-2003, 11:26 PM
Well, we have a clear winner for this one: SandTrooper with 8 1/2 votes. The closest second was 6 1/2 for the Death Star Gunner. So there is always a chance for DSG to regain the top spot. That being said, it's now time to...

Luke Hoth
Hoth Rebel Soldier
Bossk
2-1B
AT-ST Driver

Gotta go with Bossk on this one. He's another one of those early sculpts that lives up in quality in comparison with current figures. Though a resculpt of the Bounty Hunters from ESB in Screen Scene 3-packs would be nice. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
06-25-2003, 11:32 PM
I'll go with 2-1B, he's perfect in my book. Bossk comes in at a very close 2nd!

Hellboy
06-25-2003, 11:33 PM
I have to go with Bossk as well. He's quite accurately detailed compared to the others.

plasticfetish
06-25-2003, 11:41 PM
Bossk.
One of my fave figures.
(2-1B is nice also.)

Deoxyribonucleic
06-25-2003, 11:45 PM
2-1b for sure, he's spot on and the "shinny" paint job is great!

I like shinny!

sith_killer_99
06-25-2003, 11:53 PM
AT-ST Driver and 2-1B

Jaff
06-26-2003, 12:36 AM
1995 - Ben Kenobi - That was the first time I saw that kind of cape
on a star wars fig.
1996 - Tie Fighter Pilot - Even today he stands with the best
1996/Shadows - Luke in Jedi - Just a great figure without the tan
vest
Dec 1996 - Momaw Nadon - What a magnificent improvement over
the first sculpt.
Empire 1997 - 2-1B - Just such a unique figure, where's the 12"?

JangoFart
06-26-2003, 01:03 AM
This Bossk is one of the few figures from the 90's that don't NEED a resculpt. (Not that I'd mind one just to have another great figure, but sure don't need one.) IMO, this figure is still one of the best of the modern Star Wars figures.

J

IG-808
06-26-2003, 03:16 AM
Bossk

dr_evazan22
06-26-2003, 03:43 AM
21_b is good.

But, IMO, the vintage, current 3.75" and 12" Bossk are some of the best sculpted of their respective lines, and they are the quintessential likeness' of that character (afterall, they posed him in the same pose he was in in the movie).

Way to go Hasbro!

DarthChuckMc
06-26-2003, 08:20 AM
Bossk for me. The head sculpt is great for customizing the 2 cantina crocker guys, and if your really into customizing, you can use the body for a wacky space pilot.

pegger
06-26-2003, 09:29 AM
hmm.. Bossk and 2-1B are great...

I'll go with Bossk

rherk
06-26-2003, 10:30 AM
I gotta go with Bossk. It still looks great!

21B was great too but his gegs were made of a rubbery plastic and sometimes he looks a little crooked.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
06-26-2003, 12:06 PM
2-1B is awesome!

TheDarthVader
06-26-2003, 01:27 PM
I will go with 2-1B. What a great sculpt and pose (nice and neutral just like in the movie). A figure I have always wanted a new sculpt of...just great all around!

Dark Marble
06-26-2003, 01:35 PM
Bossk for me. I just remember thinking that the figure was really something special.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-26-2003, 02:15 PM
I thought this was the first really weak wave of the post 95 figures. Bossk looks good but, eh, I don't think it's that great. That over-the-shoulder gun is sort of lame because it doesn't fit in his hand well.

I'm really surprised at all the 2-1B vote. You can't do much with him.

I'll vote for the AT-ST driver. He has those two great guns and is a good sculpt. Those Imperial figures have a lot of appeal to them.

seth_quinn
06-26-2003, 04:23 PM
love hoth and all, but bounty hunters are just plain cool;
so Bossk it is.

yeah, what's with all the 2-1B votes?
even if it was the most perfect scult ever, I'd still be holding a grudge over the fact that around here it's the all time champion peg-warmer.

running tally so far:
bossk
sandtrooper
leia - boussh disguise
boba fett
r2-d2

jjreason
06-26-2003, 07:10 PM
None of these lit me up, so Im going with Luke. The rest are "fine", but I wasn't nearly as jazzed about these as I had been the last release. I think we got them in pretty close succession up here in Canada, because I distinctly remember trying to figure out where I was going to get the money for this wave after I had placed it on layaway at WalMart.

Kidhuman
06-26-2003, 08:30 PM
Give me 2-1b for 200 JJB.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-26-2003, 08:55 PM
From this one: Bossk. Just perfect.
Last one: Sandtrooper. Cool, but the new one is better.
Before that: Han in Carbonite Block. The carbonite is spot-on, and the Han is pretty god too.

Sorry, I forgot . . .

Turbowars
06-26-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by seth_quinn

yeah, what's with all the 2-1B votes?
even if it was the most perfect scult ever, I'd still be holding a grudge over the fact that around here it's the all time champion peg-warmer.
I'll tell you why for all the 2-1B votes. It's dead on, unlike most figures. There isn't much to improve on, heck there isn't anything to improve. It's a simple clean sculpt.

Beast
06-27-2003, 09:27 AM
Well, looks like Bossk gets the win for this round. 11 votes in comparison to 2-1B's 5 1/2. So we move on to the next round. This one is a bit bigger then the last, and harder to pick from. :)

So now it's time to choose your favorite from the following:

Han Endor
Lando Skiff
Bib Fortuna
Emperor Palpatine
Leia Slave
Han Bespin
Snowtrooper
Emperor's Royal Guard

My vote goes for oddly enough, the Emperor. I know he's not exactly the most obvious choice here. But he's really well sculpted for the time. And features a lot of detail for something boring like an wrinkled old man character who's just dressed in black robes. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

rherk
06-27-2003, 09:53 AM
I've gotta go with Slave Leia. It was so exciting to finally get this figure. Plus, most of the other figures were very anticapated yet were so dissappointing.

Give me a new Bib Fortuna!

dr_evazan22
06-27-2003, 10:25 AM
I'm almost tied between Slave Leia and the Snowie, but Snowie is getting my vote. Eagerly awaiting the new Snowie, but this one was pretty good.

JangoFart
06-27-2003, 11:04 AM
Slave Leia was nice, but Snowtrooper was over the top. The biggest disappointment for me was that my all time favorite vintage figure got one crappy re-make: Han Bespin.

J

sith_killer_99
06-27-2003, 12:11 PM
Snowtrooper and Lando Skiff Guard tie! I love those removable helmet accessories!

Honorable mention to Slave Leia.

Dark Marble
06-27-2003, 12:21 PM
I also have to tie the Lando skiff and Snowtrooper. I wanted the Han Bespin really badly, but it was only a so-so figure.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-27-2003, 12:33 PM
I'll go with Snowtrooper, it's amazing still today.

Deoxyribonucleic
06-27-2003, 12:44 PM
Snowtrooper for me too!

I love the vintage one and I love the POTF one, but it could go for a "buffing down" resculpt so I can't wait to see the new one.

IG-808
06-27-2003, 01:30 PM
Snowtrooper

TheDarthVader
06-27-2003, 01:59 PM
I will have to vote for the Emperor's Royal Guard. They didn't see much action in the movies and to have this one perfect for standing around was good. I just love the character. The red paint was nice and so was the small force pike.

pegger
06-27-2003, 02:05 PM
I gotta agree with Darth.....The Royal Guard is my pick for this one. Perfect for what I wanted out of this fig.....

plasticfetish
06-27-2003, 02:47 PM
Bib Fortuna.

JangoFart
06-27-2003, 02:59 PM
I'd love to see an EU Royal Guard in the style of the "Crimson Empire" comics. Those guys kicked major butt in those comics!

J

DarthChuckMc
06-27-2003, 03:48 PM
Slave Leia for me. Being an 11 yo boy when ROTJ came out, seeing Leia in her metal bikini stirred feelings in me I'd never felt before. Seeing this figure, those feelings came rushing back.

Bring on the next figure dagnabbit. I'm getting all misty eyed

Turbowars
06-27-2003, 06:54 PM
Slave Leia

dr_evazan22
06-27-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by DarthChuckMc
Slave Leia for me. Being an 11 yo boy when ROTJ came out, seeing Leia in her metal bikini stirred feelings in me I'd never felt before. Seeing this figure, those feelings came rushing back.

You should go to Celebration 3 then. there were girls at C1 and C2 that wore that costume...:crazed: I got a few rushes myself. There were one or two who wore it and shouldn't have....:cool: (btw- that's a Stevie Wonder smilie, not a cool smilie).

jjreason
06-28-2003, 05:25 AM
Slave Leia for me as well.

Kidhuman
06-28-2003, 11:25 AM
I will go with Bib Fortuna

TheDarthVader
06-28-2003, 11:31 AM
JangoFart, even though I am not a big fan of EU, any figure made in the likeness of a royal guard should be made!!! Right on!! ;)

Hellboy
06-28-2003, 11:08 PM
I'll go with the Snowtrooper but Lando Skiff is a very close second.

Tycho
06-29-2003, 04:14 AM
I'm back from Las Vegas and the town won't be the same without me!

Meanwhile, I see JarJarBinks did an incredibly awesome job with these walks down memory lane. I love the nostalgia and the warm feelings about our hobby's best moments and great figure additions that really come through in a thread like this. It's our "why" : -why we got into collecting and why we keep on going. Our thread is really inspiring some great discussion and I really like hearing how some of you are opening up old cases, dusting off early blistercards and so forth, and once again appreciating the Star Wars collections you invested in.

But JarJarBinks: THANK YOU FOR DOING AN AWESOME JOB monitoring this forum thread while I was gone!!!

Now I'll shut up and do a little voting.

I missed getting a chance to say I liked the Hoth Rebel Soldier in the '97 ESB wave. I liked getting a backpack accessory, not to mention that it was one of two accessories actually both used in the movie. It would've been nice if the deluxe (non-goatee'd) guy was the one on the standard card so it didn't have to look like my Hoth grunts were all clones, but the figure was good all-around anyway.

Amongst the next group of figures combined from a March '97 wave and a July-August one (so we had a large enough group of similar characters to vote on), I have to choose Slave Leia and you KNEW I was going to say her, didn't you? Well, I think when you can convey that accurate of sensuality in a 3 3/4" action figure, credit should be give where credit is due.

Lando Skiff Guard is a way-honorable mention though, I love the disguise figures and his sculpt still stands up well.

Tycho
06-29-2003, 02:13 PM
When I'd just posted, I didn't realize it was time to move the poll along.
Snowtrooper just slightly edged out Slave Leia in this past contest. A surprise to me for sure.

Now let's vote on your favorite from the following:

Rebel Fleet Trooper
Admiral Ackbar
ASP-7
4-LOM
Dengar
Garindan
Grand Moff Tarkin
Weequay
Ponda Baba

This is an extremely tough choice for me between almost 5 very good figures, and another one that I always wanted so-so badly!

I'm going to have to go with Grand Moff Tarkin out of my fandom for his character, appreciating Hasbro's resolve to finally make him, the great likeness to Peter Cushing, and the power this figure commands in my collection!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-29-2003, 02:36 PM
These are all really good, but I think I'll pick Weequay. He's a dead-on sculpt with the perfect face and pose. Even though he has a blaster which makes no sense. :p

Kidhuman
06-29-2003, 02:43 PM
I am gonna have to go with Dengar. He is a great figure. Good paint job. I have always thought it was one of the better figures.

Deoxyribonucleic
06-29-2003, 03:43 PM
Admiral Ackbar for me!

This is a dead on likeness sculpt of this character and I've always had a soft spot for him, that's why I won't eat calamari :crazed:

DarthChuckMc
06-29-2003, 06:38 PM
I'm picking 4-LOM on this one. The attention to detail, the rust, the pose, the sculpt, all make a stellar figure in my eyes.

sith_killer_99
06-29-2003, 06:40 PM
I gotta go with a tie between 4-LOM and Admiral Ackbar, both EXCELLENT sculpts!

DarthBrandon
06-29-2003, 06:47 PM
Admiral Ackbar and Tarkin for me :D

plasticfetish
06-29-2003, 08:16 PM
Grand Moff Tarkin! I mean, how long did I have to wait for a Peter Cushing action figure?

Hellboy
06-29-2003, 08:48 PM
I'm going with Grand Moff Tarkin.
I agree with Tycho that the likeness to Peter Cushing is great and I really don't see how you could improve on this figure. I wouldn't mind seeing several of the others re-done.

dr_evazan22
06-29-2003, 11:50 PM
After reading some of your posts I had to get up to look at some of the fig's again and agree w/ what most are saying, especially about the bounty hunters. But I will go w/ Tarkin b/c i think it is such a good sculpt.

On a side note, I do wish Hasbro would make more Imp officers. We got Piett, Motti and, well I think that's it. Do each one we saw on film. Even if it's doing something like w/ the Rebel troopers and putting different head sculpts on the same body. Oh yeah- Veers/AT At commander.

Beast
06-30-2003, 12:26 AM
Grand Moff Tarkin for me as well. :)

I always wanted a figure of him, and it was a shame we never got one in the original line. I do hope for a future re-sculpt, but the current one is great in that he was finally made. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

rherk
06-30-2003, 08:15 AM
I've gotta go with Admiral Ackbar. Other then his goofy wrist gun, this figure is perfect. Altogether, this was a great assortment.

Dr Zoltar
06-30-2003, 03:09 PM
Tarkin for me too!

And Deoxy, calamari is good, but it must be deep fried...yum!

Dark Marble
06-30-2003, 05:48 PM
I am going with Tarkin. It is a simple figure, but I bought it as soon as I found it. It was a good likeness and still stands with my Darth! Weequay was right on his heels though. He is my favorite skiff gaurd!! All because my little brother had the original when we were kids.

seth_quinn
06-30-2003, 06:03 PM
I like the Snowtrooper from the last round cause he's just so cool looking and Dengar for this round. Dengar was one of the few figures I had as a child so once again it's a nostalgia thing.

turbo - I certainly don't disagree that the sculpt for 2-1B was great, but I didn't find it particularly memorable at the same time so I was just a bit surprised with all the votes it was getting.

running tally so far:
dengar, snowtrooper, bossk, sandtrooper, leia - boussh disguise, boba fett, r2-d2

jedimarvin
06-30-2003, 07:31 PM
I have to go with Ackbar. A favorite character in a perfect sculpt. (although, a pointer would have made more sense then a blaster)

jjreason
07-01-2003, 12:24 AM
Extremely tough go here, I love Ackbar, Tarkin, 4LOM and even the ASPVII, but my choice is Garindan. I wanted a figure of this character so badly when I was little - I used to love his scene in the movie so much! Great group of figures there, boy. Wowzers.

Tycho
07-01-2003, 02:31 PM
Well, interest in the thread was starting to lull, so I'll acknowledge Tarkin's greatness and inject new juice into our poll;

So which is your favorite figure from:

Luke Ceremony
Nien Numb
Malakali (the Rancor Keeper)
EV-9D9
Gamorrean Guard
Yak Face

I have to pick the Gamorrean Guard which is still one of the best sculpts of the line. I think I bought at least 15 of these guys for scenes all over the place (5 in Jabba's palace, then some for the sailbarge scene, and so forth). But this was an incredible sculpt that looks great next to figures of even the POTJ line.

rherk
07-01-2003, 02:41 PM
Gamorrean gaurd all the way!

Deoxyribonucleic
07-01-2003, 03:37 PM
Yeah, I'm going with the "Glam" guard too! ;) His sculpt is like Boushh's; still stands up to today's sculpting standards!

Kidhuman
07-01-2003, 06:20 PM
Gotta go with the Guard here. No brainer IMO

Battle Droid
07-01-2003, 06:37 PM
EV-9D9, gotta love my droids, sorry it's a droid fetish.

Beast
07-01-2003, 06:42 PM
Gonna actually have to go with Yak Face, here.

Since while he was made in the original line, he wasn't released here in in the states. Plus he's a fantastic figure, that looks great. The Gammy could stand to be a bit bigger. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DarthChuckMc
07-01-2003, 06:46 PM
Gamorrean Guard is great. My favorite part of this piece is the cardback though. You can actually see the extras eyes in the mask on the photo they used. Not enough makeup around them.

TheDarthVader
07-01-2003, 09:34 PM
Gamorrean Guard and Yak Face were both really nice.

I will go with Yak Face for the "really wanted him" factor. I agree wtih JJB on this one.

seth_quinn
07-02-2003, 10:31 AM
Gamorrean Guard for sure, for some reason he reminds me of my dad.

running tally so far:
gamorrean guard, dengar, snowtrooper, bossk, sandtrooper, leia - boussh disguise, boba fett, r2-d2

Dark Marble
07-02-2003, 10:53 AM
Gamorrean Guard for me too! I have several of these guys to protect the vile gangster Jabba the Hutt.

jjreason
07-02-2003, 04:53 PM
Tough call between EV 9D9, Gammorean Guard, and Yak Face. I'll go with the Gammorean Guard, because it's the only one I bought more than one of.

Hellboy
07-02-2003, 08:03 PM
Well I might be the only one voting for this figure but my choice is Malakali (the Rancor Keeper). I like the Gammorean Guard too but also think he'd look better if he was a bit bigger and wish his armor had more of a grey metallic look to it rather than black.

pegger
07-02-2003, 09:27 PM
Mark me down as Gammorean Guard too....still a great fig!!

DarthBrandon
07-02-2003, 10:10 PM
I'm gonna have to say the Gammorean Guard, very nice and I wish I had bought more than one.

Mandalorian Candidat
07-02-2003, 11:26 PM
Another no-brainer...Gamorrean Guard. I don't think any other figure in this wave can hold a candle to this one.

Gold Medal Luke: That dopey expression makes me cringe.
Nien Numb: Decent likeness, uninteresting character.
Malakili: Same as above.
EV-9D9: Must be the most boring droid figure.
Yak Face: Thanks Hasbro for an alien figure...a really, really lame alien.

dr_evazan22
07-03-2003, 12:41 AM
Gammy, Gammy, Gammy!

Tycho
07-03-2003, 03:15 PM
Well, there's no way another figure from the current end-of-97-wave can catch up to the Gamorrean's lead now, so I think it's time to VOTE IN THE FIRST RUN-OFF!

Pick your favorite from amongst the best figures from 1995-1997:

The contestants are:

Imperial Stormtrooper
TIE Fighter Pilot
Princess Leia Boussh Disguise
Sandtrooper Tatooine Patrol
Bossk Bounty Hunter
Snowtrooper - Battle of Hoth
Grand Moff Tarkin
Gamorrean Guard

This is a really hard vote for me. It's the TIE Pilot vs the Sandtrooper vs. the Gamorrean by my choice. Snowtrooper's up there, too - as is Leia. I have to go look at my figures....REALLY TOUGH...but it's the Gamorrean Guard - most unique sculpt, size, paint deco, poseability, usability in dioramas, etc. That was a really hard choice!

Deoxyribonucleic
07-03-2003, 03:24 PM
Way to keep this thread going Tycho! THis is beaucoup de fun!! :D

My pick is Leia Boushh, an anwesome figure! You can never have enough Leia Boushh's lying around!

jedimarvin
07-03-2003, 04:35 PM
Gomorrean Guard!! Really can't get any better.

El Chuxter
07-03-2003, 04:46 PM
Out of those, Bossk by a landslide. He's the only one who still looks great compared to the (better offerings of the) POTJ and Saga figures.

DarthChuckMc
07-03-2003, 06:21 PM
TIE Fighter Pilot. He was one of my favorite vintage figgies, too. The helmet and chest plate are top knotch, and the neutral pose is just right.

plasticfetish
07-03-2003, 06:57 PM
Umm, uhh, ummm ... Tarkin ...
no, Bossk ... ummm ... Tarkin ...
no, Sandtrooper ... errr ... Snowtrooper ...
wait no, Gamorrean Guard ...

AHHHHHHH!

OK.
Tarkin.
He's the Grandest of Moffs.

seth_quinn
07-03-2003, 08:25 PM
run off? oh man, that's just mean!

well, looks like I'm keeping up the different choice trend, my vote goes to the Sandtrooper.

DarthBrandon
07-03-2003, 09:06 PM
It's a toss up between Tarkin and the Gamorrean Guard, hold on while I get a coin.

Coin toss: Heads for Tarkin. Tails for Gamorrean Guard.

Heads it is.

Tarkin is the winner. :D

Kidhuman
07-04-2003, 12:06 AM
Guard, Boushh, guard boushh?

Boushh it is. Love that costume.

Tycho
07-04-2003, 01:12 AM
Wow! Our run-off will have no easy winner - there are 3 way ties criss-crossing the whole group of them.

I'd hope to not only add fuel to the fire of this thread by starting the 1998 polls, but also keep the choices in the mix at the top of each page (well, if you display a standard 20 posts per page).

So continue voting in the '95-'97 run-off if you have not done so already, and now let's look at the great changes that started happening to our action figures beginning in 1998:

more articulation in wrists gave way to more poseable lightsaber weilders
we got removeable hands and other effects to simulate battle damage
we not only had removeable helmets, but parts of helmets were detachable, too
articulation on some figures started appearing at elbows and knees
pack-ins went from Freeze Frame slides, to Flashback cards, to CommTech chips that talked!
It was a definite turning point for the features we could count on being included with Star Wars figures!

Assortments also got split up to 3 "collections," generally being described as heroes, supporting characters, and Imperials / villains. This had been experimented with as far back as the Rebel Fleet Trooper wave, Tarkin's, and Ackbar's, with the Han Endor / Emperor Palpatine wave being the last mixed box of heroes and villains.

With those changes in mind, and with the fact that some waves per "collection" were short or heavy with resculpts (the first time we saw actual resculpts ever carded), I combined and arranged the 1998 groups for what I think are the best categories to vote for your favorite from each bunch, without wasting a lot of time.

That being said, continue voting for the Run-Off group's Top 8, and

Now Tell Us Your Favorite From: (these 12 figures)

Luke Bespin
Endor Rebel Soldier
Lando General
Leia Ewok Princess
R2-D2 Datalink / tools
C-3PO removeable limbs
Princess Leia (new likeness)
Luke (new likeness - w. blastshield helmet)
Mon Mothma
Orimarko (Prune Face)
Chewbacca in Chains
Lobot, Cloud City Administrator

I'm voting for Luke Bespin -great figure, good likeness, the coolest features, and nice articulation. I was really excited to get this Luke, and he still holds his own with the test of time, in spite of the new battle-ravaged Bespin Luke that came out from the Saga line.

EDIT: the Luke new likeness, should have been blastshield from the start, not T-16. Sorry, it's easy to get those Tatooine Luke's confused. If this changes anyone's vote, please post so. As I make this correction, it's the BESPIN Luke that seems to have the impossible lead to catch.

Kidhuman
07-04-2003, 01:43 AM
Bespin Boy on this one.(luke bespin)

TheDarthVader
07-04-2003, 02:36 AM
Run-off Tarkin
New Poll R2-D2 with tools. First great R2-D2 of the Power of the Force Two line. Can't argue with that. And I believe, the first R2-D2 ever to come with so many tools. COOL! :)

Deoxyribonucleic
07-04-2003, 03:54 AM
C-3P0 with removable limbs, finally an accurate sculpt AND paint job!! I really really enjoy this figure still today and find it difficult to improve upon!

seth_quinn
07-04-2003, 03:54 AM
it's C-3PO removeable limbs for me. I must have pulled apart/assembled my vintage one 10,000,000 times when I was a kid. I freaked the day I found a new one on the shelves.

Hellboy
07-04-2003, 05:04 AM
Run-off: I'm going with Bossk. He's one of my all time favorites due to the great detail. The TIE Fighter Pilot was a close second though.

Luke Bespin gets my vote for the next round.

plasticfetish
07-04-2003, 06:03 AM
"With Detachable Hand" ... perhaps the first Luke figure I really liked. Still like it quite a bit. Let's go with Bespin Luke. (Though I'll admit C-3PO came very close.)

jedimarvin
07-04-2003, 09:39 AM
Hands down (or off), I would say bespin Luke. Although 3PO would be in a close second. I'm glad Vader wasn't in this category too...that would be tough decission!

Jaff
07-04-2003, 10:04 AM
wow, what choices, continuing from empire 97 wave
2nd & 3rd qtr 1997 figs - I'll have to go with the snowtrooper, The
Emperor was a good runner up.
Summer asst 1997 - Gotta go 4-Lom, it was a tough call not picking Grand Moff Tarkin though.
Fall asst 1997 - Gamorrean Guard
My voting for the first run off would have to be the Tie Fighter Pilot
1998 Collection 1 waves would be C-3PO with removable limbs, even though Luke in Bespin was a magnificent figure.

rherk
07-04-2003, 01:03 PM
Definitely, Luke Bespin. Great figure.

Mon Mothma was pretty cool too.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
07-04-2003, 01:53 PM
I too have to say Luke Bespin! R2 would be my close second...

DarthChuckMc
07-04-2003, 02:44 PM
training helmet Luke. Great figure and a helmet :)

jjreason
07-04-2003, 05:18 PM
My vote in the run-off is for the Gammorean. Possibly the best POTF2 figure period, he gets my vote.

Next wave - Chewie Boushh's bounty. Finally, a full-sized Wookie! Love the sculpt.

pegger
07-05-2003, 09:28 AM
I gotta agree with JJ on the Gamorrean.....

But best fig on this wave has to be C-3P0....hours of fun pulling of his arms and legs.....

Turbowars
07-05-2003, 11:18 AM
Gam Guard gets the Run off vote from me. R2 with tools was just a great figure for the time. The little tools are so cool, but I think I lost the saw. Anyways I'd love to see a new version with better tools and little doors that open and close or just snap into place to cover the holes.

Tycho
07-06-2003, 12:34 PM
Well, Luke Bespin seems to have an uncatchable lead with a detachable hand up ahead of the rest.

It's time to vote on your favorite from the next collection::

Is it:

Biggs Darklighter
Wicket & Logray
Lak Sivrak
Ugnaughts' 2-pack
EV-9D9

I'll have to vote for the Ewoks: we got 2 completely poseable molds with painted accessories on one card, not to mention characters whose species have been somewhat neglected by Hasbro up until recently. Me? I love the Ewoks.

Kidhuman
07-06-2003, 12:37 PM
Tough choices Tycho. I think I am going with Lak on this one.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-06-2003, 01:36 PM
Lak Sivrak for me too, yet another cool cantina alien that wasn't made before! :)

Hellboy
07-06-2003, 02:09 PM
Usually I'd go with the unproduced in the original line Cantina alien but I've always thought Lak Sivrak was one of the more silly looking creatures from the Cantina.

I'm going with Wicket and Logray this round. :)

jedimarvin
07-06-2003, 03:47 PM
Wicket and Logray! We need more Ewoks!

plasticfetish
07-06-2003, 04:05 PM
I'll go with Wicket & Logray on this one.

seth_quinn
07-06-2003, 04:06 PM
hmm, tough choice for sure. I'll probably be the only one, but I'll pick Biggs. like all the saga jedi and cantina or palace aliens, I just love the way all the pilot figures look displayed together.

IG-808
07-06-2003, 06:07 PM
I would have to go with the Ewok 2-pack. They look great plus you get 2 figures for the price of one. We still need more Ewoks though.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-06-2003, 06:28 PM
The Ewoks, of course. For the last one, Luke Bespin.

pegger
07-06-2003, 07:20 PM
I'm torn between the Ewoks and the Ugnaughts....2 figs each!!!

I'll go with the Ewoks tho...and we do need more of them...

rherk
07-06-2003, 08:48 PM
Wickety and Logray. Great set!

TheDarthVader
07-07-2003, 12:55 AM
I will go with Biggs. 1. who thought this figure would ever be made? 2. pilots are cool 3. being luke's old pal helps 4. dying in ep4 helps (more memorable 5. was shot by darth vader (cool) 6. nice sculpt 7. nice pose 8. nice accesories 9. nice freeze frame 10. nice paint

Turbowars
07-07-2003, 01:09 AM
I'll go with the under rated Ugnaugths. They are so cool and I don't remember anyone ever making a big deal over them, so I will now:)

jjreason
07-07-2003, 02:30 AM
EV-9D9 for me. I love her sequence in ROTJ sooo much, I was heartbroken when I got back into SW figures in 95 to see that she had been made at the end of the vintage line - and was already worth a fortune. To finally get her at retail for a reasonable price was awesome. I love this figure.

"YOU ARE A PRO-TO-COL DROID.... ARE YOU NOT?????"

"YOU'RE A FEISTY LITTLE ONE, BUT YOU'LL SOON LEARN SOME RESPECT. I HAVE USE FOR YOU ON THE MASTER'S SAIL BAHGE!!!"

:cool::D

Tycho
07-07-2003, 04:09 AM
Ooops! I screwed up: That should have been 8D8 that everyone had a chance to vote for. He was released with the Ugnaughts.

Oh well, anyone wishing to reverse their vote from the group:

Biggs Darklighter
Wicket and Logray
Lak Sivrak
Ugnaughts 2-pack
8D8

can alter their vote if they cared to vote for 8D8 Torture Droid (although that's not what his model was originally intended for. It was light industrial work, I think).

In any case, the Ewoks have a strong lead amongst this group. YUB-Nub!

Dark Marble
07-07-2003, 11:42 AM
Wow, a long weekend and so much to vote on!! But to catch up in the run offs, I am going with,

Tie fighter pilot
C-3P0 w/Removable Limbs
Biggs Darklighter

All pretty good figures!!!

Mandalorian Candidat
07-07-2003, 12:44 PM
Didn't catch much SSG action this weekend so I'll throw in my 2, er 6 cents since we're making three choices.

Run-off: TIE Pilot
Helmet Luke (it covers up that nasty mug of his)
Wicket and Logray 2-fer

I'm a sucker for two things: removable helmets and 2-packs. The Ewok 2-pack is slick so I'll give it my vote.

DarthChuckMc
07-07-2003, 12:46 PM
Ewoks...we need MORE Ewoks!!!

Jaff
07-07-2003, 04:59 PM
ewoks all the way. Hope they make more. Biggs was pretty cool too, but Logray and Wicket smoked him.

Mandalorian Candidat
07-07-2003, 07:32 PM
Biggs was pretty cool too, but Logray and Wicket smoked him.

I always thought it was Vader who smoked him. ;)

Anyways, more Ewoks!

dr_evazan22
07-08-2003, 01:18 AM
Go away for a couple of days and there are 5 pages to read!

Anyway:

Runoff... For me it's between 4. Snowie, Sandy, Gammy and Bossk. Snowie and Sandy are there b/c I like all the troopers. Gammy's there b/c I think it's a dead on sculpt. Bossk is pretty dead on also, but Bossk gets my vote b/c it's my fav of the group. Bossk.

For the next round I'm going w/ pull apart 3PO for all the reasons I liked the 1st POTF2 version, plus the paint is well done and he can be pulled apart, creating many scenes from the different movies.

For this round, it's really close. i'm going w/ the Ewoks. Biggs almost got it for teh sculpt, "bring 'em on" pose and b/c he looks like a friend.

jjreason
07-08-2003, 03:02 AM
BAHHHHHH!!! HULK WANT TO SMASH 8D8!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry. I'll change my vote to the Ewoks.

TheDarthVader
07-08-2003, 01:00 PM
I know this is off subject BUT...you guys made me buy another C3PO removeable limbs figure so that I could open him and pull him apart. I have some loose figures (30) but I usually keep my figures on the card. So...I am going to open one of the C3PO's and play with it to see how fun it is. Thanks for all the comments about this figure!! ;)

plasticfetish
07-08-2003, 03:11 PM
I've never met a C-3PO that I didn't like.

Tycho
07-08-2003, 03:22 PM
Well, the Ewoks certainly won that last battle, now the Empire has a chance to strike back!

These will be most o f 1998's Collection 3 figures.

Which of the following figures is your favorite from this group?

Ishi Tibb
Captain Piett
Darth Vader with Removeable Helmet
Zuckuss
Death Star Trooper
Ree-Yees

I have to go with Vader removeable helmet. I've wanted this figure since 1983. It took 15 years, but I finally got him! I had wanted Piett for 18 years (since ESB) but Vader was such a superior sculpt - removeable helmet AND removeable hand, with the ability to do multiple angles with his lightsaber pose due to the wrist and arm articulation! I mean Zuckuss kicked butt, the DS Trooper could be an officer with communicator or a grunt, due to his removeable helmet, Ree-Yees was an awesome sculpt that made me really appreciate this Gran character because the vintage figure of him was a joke, and Ishi Tibb is too cool looking and was never made before. This was one of the best case assortments in the history of collecting, but Darth Vader rules it by a long shot! What an honor for that figure to hold in this company.

pegger
07-08-2003, 03:49 PM
Tycho - you nailed it.....

This has got to be 1 of the single best waves ever...every fig was not only an excellent sculpt, but the range of such great characters to pick from.....

Having said that, I also have to go with Darth Vader. I remember having friends that thought my Star Wars collection was a little geeky "ooo"ing over this figure...

jedimarvin
07-08-2003, 04:59 PM
Without a doubt, Vader removable helmet. Altho Piet was great and I wish we could see more excellent sculpts of major minor charcters like him.

DarthChuckMc
07-08-2003, 05:28 PM
Vader is nice, but I'm going with Zuckuss on this one. I'm a nut for detail, and I think they nailed it with him. Don't get me wrong, the Vader is pretty sweet, but he could've been a tad better IMO.

Jaff
07-08-2003, 05:33 PM
I'm going to have to go with Darth Chuck on this one. Zuckuss is one of the best figures ever made from the POTF line, and IMO maybe the best. The detail is shockingly good. Vader with removable helmet is also one of the best figs of all time. I almost feel bad voting between these two figs. Damn you Tycho, this is unfair!!! :crazed:

Mandalorian Candidat
07-08-2003, 05:36 PM
A superior wave. No wonder each figure was hard to find!

I'm sticking with Vader. The removable helmet sticks this figure in front of the others. Too bad the new Vader lacks the removable hand feature. The added articulation would make it a better figure than the POTF one.

Hellboy
07-08-2003, 06:00 PM
I'm going with Zuckuss this round. Like DarthChuck and Jaff stated the detail is amazing and this figure was also a huge improvement over the vintage release. Having said that Vader and Ree Yees are 2 of my all time favorite figues so this was by no means an easy choice for me.

Overall I'd say this was my favorite wave ever. :)

Deoxyribonucleic
07-08-2003, 06:11 PM
I'm going with Vader on this one, what a great figure.

Zuckuss is great but I didn't like his "wide open" stance :p

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-08-2003, 06:24 PM
Vader is of course awesome, but a foot too short. Nevertheless, he gets my vote.

And I had absolutely no trouble finding these. :D

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
07-08-2003, 06:50 PM
There's no doubt in my mind that it's Vader.

plasticfetish
07-08-2003, 07:40 PM
Oh man ... "with detachable hand" and "removable helmet"!!! He's still a little bit too muscular yet. But you could pose him there with his helmet in hand if you wanted and at that point I figured they could never make a better Vader. Until ...

dr_evazan22
07-08-2003, 08:04 PM
This Vader was my all time fav. Now he competes w/ the Dagobah Cave version.

IG-808
07-08-2003, 08:24 PM
I have to go with Vader on this one. This is also one of my favorite figures out of the whole line.

rherk
07-08-2003, 08:38 PM
I think Im going to be the minority on this one but I gotta go with Ree Yees

Kidhuman
07-08-2003, 09:34 PM
Vader hands down winner

seth_quinn
07-08-2003, 11:22 PM
vader.

next?

jjreason
07-08-2003, 11:34 PM
Im down with Darth as well. The head sculpt is still far superior to anything we've seen since in my opinion, and it's been nearly 5 years. Off topic, but this wave never made it to Canada, I paid a fortune for each and every one of these figures (an average of about 17 bucks a pop). Im happy to report they were worth it in every case.

stillakid
07-09-2003, 12:01 AM
What's your favorite 1995 figure:
Luke
Han
Leia
Chewie
R2D2
C-3PO
Darth Vader
Stormtrooper
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Vader

Now choose your favorite figure from: (1996's)

Luke Snowspeeder
Lando Calrissian
Boba Fett
Han Hoth
Master Yoda
Luke Dagobah
TIE Fighter Pilot

TIE Fighter Pilot

Now you are voting for your favorite amongst:

Dash Rendar
Prince Xizor
Chewie Snoova Disguise
Leia Boussh Disguise
Han in Carbonite
Luke Jedi Knight

Greedo
Death Star Gunner
Sandtrooper
Momaw Nadon
Tusken Raider
R5-D4
Jawa 2-pack

Sandtrooper

Please ignore these figures above until the time comes, and continue voting for your favorite from amongst:

Greedo
Death Star Gunner
Sandtrooper
Momaw Nadon
Tusken Raider
R5-D4
Jawa 2-pack

Sandtrooper

Luke Hoth
Hoth Rebel Soldier
Bossk
2-1B
AT-ST Driver

2-1B

So now it's time to choose your favorite from the following:

Han Endor
Lando Skiff
Bib Fortuna
Emperor Palpatine
Leia Slave
Han Bespin
Snowtrooper
Emperor's Royal Guard

Leia Slave

Now let's vote on your favorite from the following:

Rebel Fleet Trooper
Admiral Ackbar
ASP-7
4-LOM
Dengar
Garindan
Grand Moff Tarkin
Weequay
Ponda Baba

Grand Moff Tarkin

So which is your favorite figure from:

Luke Ceremony
Nien Numb
Malakali (the Rancor Keeper)
EV-9D9
Gamorrean Guard
Yak Face

Gamorrean Guard

Well, there's no way another figure from the current end-of-97-wave can catch up to the Gamorrean's lead now, so I think it's time to VOTE IN THE FIRST RUN-OFF!

Pick your favorite from amongst the best figures from 1995-1997:

The contestants are:

Imperial Stormtrooper
TIE Fighter Pilot
Princess Leia Boussh Disguise
Sandtrooper Tatooine Patrol
Bossk Bounty Hunter
Snowtrooper - Battle of Hoth
Grand Moff Tarkin
Gamorrean Guard

Sandtrooper, Tatooine Patrol

Now Tell Us Your Favorite From: (these 12 figures)

Luke Bespin
Endor Rebel Soldier
Lando General
Leia Ewok Princess
R2-D2 Datalink / tools
C-3PO removeable limbs
Princess Leia (new likeness)
Luke (new likeness - w. blastshield helmet)
Mon Mothma
Orimarko (Prune Face)
Chewbacca in Chains
Lobot, Cloud City Administrator
[/b]

Luke with Blastshield helmet

It's time to vote on your favorite from the next collection::

Is it:

Biggs Darklighter
Wicket & Logray
Lak Sivrak
Ugnaughts' 2-pack
8D8

8D8

These will be most o f 1998's Collection 3 figures.

Which of the following figures is your favorite from this group?

Ishi Tibb
Captain Piett
Darth Vader with Removeable Helmet
Zuckuss
Death Star Trooper
Ree-Yees

Darth Vader with Removable Helmet

...to be continued :)

Dark Marble
07-09-2003, 11:53 AM
I am also going to say Vader, but Zuckuss is standing right next to him. It was a great wave.

Turbowars
07-10-2003, 12:05 AM
ZUCKUSS is my all time fav figure. Come on guys Vader is cool, but not that cool.

Tycho
07-10-2003, 02:27 AM
Our next group of figures you are voting on marks Hasbro's first and only real attempt to please the majority of Expanded Universe fans: these are collectors who want figures based on heroes and villains from the continuity accepted as Star Wars cannon by mainstream novel, junior readers, and comic book fans. On the eve of Comic Con, it's a great wave to be voting on.

In the end run, the figures did not turn out as good as they could have, and the lines they ran which ultimately included:

4 Dark Empire figures from the comics
3 Heir to the Empire Trilogy figures from the novels
2 Dark Forces figures from the video games

should have been supported with more characters, just like Shadows, which was a different kind of project, should have had another wave with Guri, Leebo, Jix, Spiker, Big Gizz, Lando in Imperial Trooper disguise, a proper Luke tan vest, and Leia as Xizor's Prisoner, and maybe Bothan Spy Koth Melan, from amongst the "many Bothans that died to bring us this information," plus some Black Sun thugs.

Well, to this day Dark Empire, Heir to the Empire, and Dark Forces have never seen any more support. The figures remain forgotten by Hasbro, obscure to newer collectors, loathed by non-readers, and a lucky fluke which could have even been better for EU fans that were not looking for abandoned concept art designs, but real characters from the on-going saga in the official continuity.

That being said, VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE FROM:

Imperial Sentinal
Luke Dark Empire
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Leia Organa-Solo
Kyle Katarn
Clone Emperor Palpatine
Mara Jade

(the other 2 EU figures from this year were kind of in a later assortment, so we'll get to them shortly)

I'm voting for Princess Leia Organa-Solo. In my opinion, she is one of the best Leia figures to turn out, and she's the only figure of Leia as a Jedi apprentice! Nice cloak, gun, and lightsaber! (Mara and Thrawn could have each been more accurate for as much as they were anticipated). Leia was perfect!

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
07-10-2003, 11:40 AM
My vote goes to Mara Jade. That's the only EU figure I truly wanted.

stillakid
07-10-2003, 11:48 AM
Imperial Sentinal

Jaff
07-10-2003, 12:22 PM
My vote is honestly for NONE OF THE ABOVE. Expanded universe does not have the depth and interest of the film figures. But if I had to vote for one I would have to say the Clone Emperor.

Mandalorian Candidat
07-10-2003, 12:26 PM
That being said, VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE FROM:

Imperial Sentinal
Luke Dark Empire
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Leia Organa-Solo
Kyle Katarn
Clone Emperor Palpatine
Mara Jade

(the other 2 EU figures from this year were kind of in a later assortment, so we'll get to them shortly)

I'm voting for Princess Leia Organa-Solo. In my opinion, she is one of the best Leia figures to turn out, and she's the only figure of Leia as a Jedi apprentice! Nice cloak, gun, and lightsaber! (Mara and Thrawn could have each been more accurate for as much as they were anticipated). Leia was perfect!

I disliked and liked a lot about half-and-half of this wave.

Palpy, Sentinel, and Thrawn were just crud, IMO. Especially the salt shaker Sentinel. Another useless hulk.

On the other hand Luke, Mara, Jedi Leia, and Kyle were pretty sweet. I go with Kyle over the others because 1) he's not a jedi, 2) not an alien, and 3) a regular joe figure with two kick A guns from a kick A video game. I can't recall too many regular guy figures who aren't jedi or an Imperial.

Yeah, Kyle for sure.

jedimarvin
07-10-2003, 12:31 PM
[I would have to go with Mara Jade on this one. Being a huge Dark Forces fan, I was hugely dissapointed with Kyle Katarn. I thought they did a pretty good job with Mara still she lives on the bottom-most shelf of my collection with all her Expanded Universe friends. (I would love to see a Yuuzhan Vong or two)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-10-2003, 12:34 PM
I never read EU stuff from the classic era, so I don't know how good these figures are (based on what they were in the books etc.). I'll say Luke, maybe . . . he was kind of cool, and I didn't get most of this wave except for him, Thrawn, Kyle and Palpatine.

TheDarthVader
07-10-2003, 02:49 PM
Vader removeable helmet!!! Are you guys crazy?? Zuckuss over Vader? I will never understand that. This has to be the best Vader EVER! So great that a friend of mine asked me to pick this one up for him and he doesn't collect!!! After seeing mine, he was amazed. I remember this figure on the cover of some toy magazine that I still have. What a perfect figure!! I bought two to keep on card and I never buy two of any figure. Anyways...
My other vote goes to Leia Organa-Solo. Even though I don't buy EU figures, this one looks the best IMO. -----LATE

IG-808
07-10-2003, 03:29 PM
I think that all the EU figures were badly done. If I had to choose the best one though, I would have to go with Thrawn. Based only on the fact that he is my favorite character from the novels. You have to at least give Hasbro creidit, they tried. Oh wait no I don't.........I so can't wait for the Concept Stormie..........NOT

Hellboy
07-10-2003, 07:38 PM
Leia Organa-Solo gets my vote.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-10-2003, 08:40 PM
Mara Jade

Turbowars
07-10-2003, 10:41 PM
My vote is honestly for NONE OF THE ABOVE. Expanded universe does not have the depth and interest of the film figures. But if I had to vote for one I would have to say the Clone Emperor.
That was what I was going to say, minus the Clone Emperor, I would not have voted for any of them. I hope there is a count on how many don't like the line at all.

DarthChuckMc
07-10-2003, 10:44 PM
Imperial Sentinel for me......because he's sorta based on Atha Prime...the Kenner concept figure from the mid-80s.

Kidhuman
07-10-2003, 10:53 PM
I did not get any of these, but now having read some EU novels the only two I want are Mara Jade and Thrawn. I will pick Thrawn just because he is a sweet character.

Tycho
07-11-2003, 05:33 AM
That was what I was going to say, minus the Clone Emperor, I would not have voted for any of them. I hope there is a count on how many don't like the line at all.

I myself keep holding my breath hoping Hasbro will do more figures from the novels and comics.

It's one of the top reasons I continue collecting. I want to recreate scenes that show me what the movies might look like if Star Wars was to continue adventures. That the EU is one carefully maintained continuity, means it's the closest we're going to get to Episodes 7,8,9, 25, 27, 30, 56 etc.

I love to read and expand my imagination. Sometimes I'm almost sick of the 5 movies, I think I've seen them enough.

But every year on SSG's "Best Of" year end wrap up, one category all the staff here fills out is what we'd most hope to see. Every year for 5 years or more I've put:

Expanded Universe figures from NOVELS and COMICS

-and don't get me mistaken: I did NOT want the sketchtrooper, or that drag queen Maul (POTJ). Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan in their practice armor were moderately good, but those were not the figures I was looking for such as:

Yuuzhan Vong
Noghri
Kir Kanos
Admiral Palleon
Talon Karrde
Jacen Solo
Jaina Solo
Anakin Solo
etc.

These figures actually happening, plus 12" bounty hunters (finallly happened) and other 12" like cantina, Jabbas, Jedi Masters, and more Playskool stuff and more Unleashed, plus some vehicles like the Gungan Sub, Sith Infiltrator, large capital ships, and more 3 3/4" Cantina, Pamde Amidala, Jabba's Palace figures, etc. is what keeps me interested in the hobby.

But more EU is something I want every year. The wave we're voting on was at least a good start, if the figures didn't turn out as cool as they should have. This was much better than SOTE or POTJ's selective choice for EU offerings.

Meanwhile new EU figures could be like Aayla Secura and come from the comics she originated from. Nobody's complaining about her being added to the movie and made into plastic.

Sorry I'm off topic, but I had to get that out!

seth_quinn
07-11-2003, 08:59 AM
these never came to Canada and I haven't tried to get any of them yet. (saving them and their stories for a rainy day) none of them really wow me anyway but I do like Luke if nothng more than for the red lightsaber.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-11-2003, 02:35 PM
This is for Tycho and all those who really like the EU line, (I thought the comic cutout backgrounds for these EU figs was a fabulous idea) such as myself. And here's to wishing that they make more EU...more, more, more!!!

Tycho
07-11-2003, 04:47 PM
Thanks D !

This thread is really bringing back all that was great and gory from that walk back down memory lane.

I'm glad we're all undertaking in this.

rherk
07-11-2003, 05:41 PM
luke dark empire

dr_evazan22
07-11-2003, 11:17 PM
From all the choices, I'm going w/ the cardbacks! None of them really did too much for me. What i erally liked about these was that they had the fold out playset/diorama on the back, and if you didn't open, a really tough cardback that would stay in good condition.

Thanks for the pic Deoxy!

Tycho
07-11-2003, 11:43 PM
Well, we leave the Expanded Universe wave with a three-way tie between:

Leia Organa-Solo
Mara Jade
Luke Dark Empire

Unless you haven't voted and can break the tie, it's time to move on and now vote for your favorite out of:

AT-AT Driver
Pote Snitkin
Death Star Droid
Princess Leia - Hoth
Imperial Space Trooper
The Dark Trooper

Strangely enough, I'll go with Leia Hoth. It was a very useful figure and a nice way to get another Princess. Pote Sniktkin was a surprise and a well executed figure - as if Hasbro was saying, "these guys wnat the most obscure characters, we'll find one even the die-hards won't recognize!" That being said, he turned out great, and it's hard not to like him. The size of the Dark Trooper made it sort of cool, but I'm not a huge Dark Forces fan as much as I love comic and books EU figures. Finally, the AT-AT driver is a great figure, but I was impressed the first time that I got him: with the AT-AT! (we'll vote for vehicle pack-ins soon). Oh - and while true that the DS droid came packed with our first Mouse Droid, the one that comes with R4-M9 smells better because they used different plastic. But Leia Hoth was the most desired figure in that wave for me, and she turned out great!

Deoxyribonucleic
07-11-2003, 11:49 PM
This is not a strange choice at all in my book Tycho, as she's the one I vote for too! One of my all time fav vintage figs was the hoth leia and I was so stoked to be getting a newly resculpted one!!! I was not displeased either, I still love this figure! :)

Jedi Tech
07-12-2003, 12:04 AM
I'll go with the Death Star Droid first and Hoth Leia for my second choice.

P.S. I never voted for Expanded Universe wave so my choice is Mara Jade. What a nice piece of plastic. :D

stillakid
07-12-2003, 02:49 AM
This is for Tycho and all those who really like the EU line, (I thought the comic cutout backgrounds for these EU figs was a fabulous idea) such as myself. And here's to wishing that they make more EU...more, more, more!!!

I was wondering what those looked like open. I could never bring myself to slice that back apart.

plasticfetish
07-12-2003, 04:39 AM
I'll vote for Pote.

About the last bunch ... though I don't follow the EU stuff at all, I did manage to find and buy a couple of these figures. I was simply impressed by the way they were packaged and by the novelty of them. I thought the idea of straying beyond the films was interesting ... a lot more interesting than mediocre versions of the same handful of characters again and again. For me, not being a true completist but more of a samplist, these figures offered something else to display with the rest. A little variety to break up the rows of green cards with Vader faces on them. So I'll retro vote for Thrawn ... snazzy outfit and a funny critter. ;)

Kidhuman
07-12-2003, 08:12 AM
I liked the AT-At driver

rherk
07-12-2003, 09:49 AM
I'll go with the Death Star droid. Cool fig!

Jaff
07-12-2003, 09:56 AM
I love the AT-AT Driver, great 12" too. Pote Snitkin would be my second choice.

stillakid
07-12-2003, 10:35 AM
Unless you haven't voted and can break the tie, it's time to move on and now vote for your favorite out of:

AT-AT Driver
Pote Snitkin
Death Star Droid
Princess Leia - Hoth
Imperial Space Trooper
The Dark Trooper

Pote Snitkin

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
07-12-2003, 11:48 AM
Death Star Droid!