PDA

View Full Version : Hummers

SuperBattleDroid88
06-21-2003, 10:18 PM
What do you think of the H2 or the H1?
I would love to buy one someday....

This is just a little discussion about the Hummer...

Post your comments or complaints expecially people that actually own one.

:) Thanks!! :)

2-1B
06-21-2003, 10:57 PM
Whenever I see one of these out on the road, I think of that scene from "The Rock":

(German guy on the phone) "Du hast meinen Hummer
gestolen!" :mad:

(Sean Connery in his very Sean Connery voice) "I'm only BORROWING your HumVee!"

:)

derek
06-21-2003, 11:00 PM
while i have nothing against SUV's in general, and the H2 looks pretty cool, it's really a waste of money and resources. i have no desire to do any off road driving, and have no need to mount a .50 caliber machine gun to my roof. unless someone is vastly wealthy, they would be insane to own one.

Kidhuman
06-21-2003, 11:00 PM
I like em. My wife hates em. I would love to buy one, if I ever have 50g and nothing to do

dr_evazan22
06-22-2003, 12:28 AM
Love 'em!

I do have to say though that I like the original and H1 versions much better. I'd kill for the SW Hummer that was given away w/ the SE's back in '97; saw it on eBay once.

In general though I'm not a fan of SUV's as they waste gasoline. It would be cool if they could make one of those hybrids where energy is saved (hydraulicly) when braking, and used to help power the vehicle once it begins again. The 2 SUV's I like are Hummer and Dodge Durango.

My .02$.

Darth Jax
06-22-2003, 01:09 AM
the hummer is insanely huge. having ridden in enough larger vehicles (i own an SUV), parking and even driving down city streets take on an air of danger/excitement. take your hummer off-road and end up with no paint job since the established trekking sites for off-road usage are as wide as a jeep, half the size of the hummer.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-22-2003, 01:48 AM
Life's a bummer...when you're a hummer....life's a draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag... :D

Tycho
06-22-2003, 01:50 AM
Yeah, I off-road my 4x4. Had a Pathfinder and now drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I've seen those Hummers go where they are not supposed to fit! heh-heh-heh. And they didn't fit!

Still, I'd like to drive one, but might wait until I decide the time is right for me to go on a shooting rampage and then do some off-roading like Big-Foot, getting over jammed traffic in Southern California. Then again I'm from San Diego. Here we set the example: steal a tank from your local National Guard armory. Now that's some serious off-roading!

Meanwhile, I have doubts I'd buy a Hummer no matter how much money I make. But I remain open to the possibility. It's a serious abuse of money, and I like to express myself that way once in a while. Morally, I think it's wrong, but psychologically it's great to get that out of your system.

But like I said: this is an adventure vehicle. Why buy one when I think stealing one and arming it would be so much more fun! This vehicle is meant for combat, so combat all sanity and have a hummer of a fun time!

Lock'n'load!

dr_evazan22
06-22-2003, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by Tycho

But like I said: this is an adventure vehicle. Why buy one when I think stealing one and arming it would be so much more fun! This vehicle is meant for combat, so combat all sanity and have a hummer of a fun time!

Lock'n'load!

Reminds me of those bumper stickers "Drive it like you stole it!". There would be a certain poetic justice in doing just that.

sith_killer_99
06-22-2003, 09:46 AM
Well, I have ridden in enough of them in my career (US Army) to say that these are great for their originally intended purpose, MILITARY applications.

But trust me, military versions are nowhere near as plush as the civilian versions. I am sure that these may have some practical applications in the civilian world, like, hunting, exploring, etc. However, these are lousy everyday vehicles. I would HATE to drive one of these around town.:Pirate:

As for the H2, one word comes to mind...pretentious. In fact, I am constantly reminded of that new commercial with the guy driving down the road looking out the window and telling everyone "Biggest SUV ever made. It only comes in two colors, gun-metal and black, I got gun-metal. CD, DVD, big screen, surround sound." Then he crashes into his garage. That pretty much sums up how I feel about the H2.:D hahaha ROTFL

Exhaust Port
06-22-2003, 09:51 AM
A friend of mine has a H1 Hummer and I've taken a few drives in it, never driven it though. I was not impressed. It's hugh and very, very costly. If you're tackling some of the most rugged terrain then it will beat every other vehicle out there but how often do you do that. It is not a vehicle that I would want to spend much time in. It's loud on the asphalt with those big tires and no insulation to deafen the noise.

If you really want one, get an Army surplus one. They are a fraction of the cost and do the same thing.

Buying one of these is like getting the Saturn V because you're into model rocketery.

EricRG
06-22-2003, 01:51 PM
Yeah, nine miles to the gallon. You guys are real smart. As I've said before on these forums...you have to be retarded to actually spend money on one of these things. Looks like the barage of commercials for this thing is succeeding in numbing the minds of the weak.

QLD
06-22-2003, 01:57 PM
Hmmmm....I was gonna make a lot of comments....but it appears that I misjudged the thread's title.....

anyway.....the car is ok, but a little expensive for my tastes.

sith_killer_99
06-22-2003, 02:40 PM
Yeah, nine miles to the gallon. You guys are real smart. As I've said before on these forums...you have to be retarded to actually spend money on one of these things. Looks like the barage of commercials for this thing is succeeding in numbing the minds of the weak.

Umm, what are you talking about? Half the people here wrote things like:

I was not impressed. It's hugh and very, very costly.

As for the H2, one word comes to mind...pretentious.

Meanwhile, I have doubts I'd buy a Hummer no matter how much money I make.

Life's a bummer...when you're a hummer....life's a draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag...

the hummer is insanely huge. having ridden in enough larger vehicles (i own an SUV), parking and even driving down city streets take on an air of danger/excitement. take your hummer off-road and end up with no paint job since the established trekking sites for off-road usage are as wide as a jeep, half the size of the hummer.

it's really a waste of money and resources.

How in the world you could have read all that and gotten

is beyond me. Five posters don't like 'em, while only 3 said that they would want one.:crazed:

Anyway, it's getting hot in here, so I'm out.

Jedi Master Silas
06-22-2003, 07:15 PM
I'm all for SUV's. We just bought a VUE to travel in, more room for an 8 year old and our dog. I have been in a few hummers when I was on a K-9 Unit. They are awesome vehicles and I can say from first hand experience that they GET THE JOB DONE! When we were in need the WV national guard would lend us a hand and off we would go up the side of a mountain. I can see any die hard fisherman, hunters or outdoor folks putting one to good use......thats if you had the money to waste and tons of doe to waste in gas :)

darthvyn
06-22-2003, 09:16 PM
http://gmc.com/gmcjsp/envoy/index.jsp?brand=home&pageName=index

check out the link to the envoy xuv on the left... that's the only suv that intrigues me...

Exhaust Port
06-22-2003, 11:23 PM
Cars don't kill people, stupid drivers do.

I think a $80,000 price tag is pretty good at keeping large vehicles like this out of most peoples hands and off the roads. Ferrari's are incrediably dangerous due to their extreme high speeds. The fact that they can run you $200,000 is why we all don't own one and aren't seen racing to the next red light in one.

I'm not a fan of the SUV but if that is what someone wants then so be it. It's their own darn fault for buying a vehicle with sucky gas mileage and an inflated price. I'll spend my money on small pieces of plastic that crowd my shelves. Remember, those toys are made from the same foreign oil that you blame drivers for using in their SUV's.

QLD
06-22-2003, 11:41 PM
The main reason I have a SUV is because I am a large person. And the growing trend these days is to cram the cockpit full of crap so that if you are over 175 pounds you can't fit comfortably in it. Having an SUV suits my needs for room.

derek
06-22-2003, 11:57 PM
keep political statements out of this discussion, or it will go the way of the hulk's boxoffice totals next week!:crazed:

plasticfetish
06-23-2003, 12:04 AM
Hmmm. I've always thought Hummers where completely stupid. And then I saw this one parked over by the Starbucks and it had something like seven video screens built into it and they were all playing the movie "Full Metal Jacket". So I thought, Hmmm ... if I win the lottery that might not be a bad idea. Heck, if I win the lottery I'm gonna buy a Hummer and have it gold plated and drive around watching movies all day. I'll be watching Scarface and burning up all of that stupid gasoline and then I'll see EricRG riding on his bike and he'll be shaking his fist at me ... GRRRR ... but I'll just punch it and (0 to 60 in 18 seconds) vanish in a cloud of thick smoke. He'll be nothing but a tiny speck in my rear view mirror as I hit my top speed of 83mph. Wow! I've gotta go buy my lottery ticket ... I can't wait to do some outdoor type stuff in my gold plated Hummer. Mother nature's a tough old broad ... I'm sure she can handle a good thrashing from my Turbocharged diesel sport (f)utility vehicle. Look out mama, here comes baby!

But seriously ... I think sith_killer_99 is right. Good for military, bad for civilians. If I had a 100 grand to blow on a car I'd be down at the Porsche dealership saying ... "is my 911 GT3 in yet?"

Deoxyribonucleic
06-28-2003, 07:17 PM
I don't particularly like the newer ones because they are too tall and look a little odd to me, but I really, really liked the old ones that are the exact models the Military uses, short and wide :)

I'd rather have a minicooper though, now those things are great!

DarthChuckMc
06-28-2003, 07:28 PM
The main reason I have a SUV is because I am a large person. And the growing trend these days is to cram the cockpit full of crap so that if you are over 175 pounds you can't fit comfortably in it. Having an SUV suits my needs for room.

I'm 5' 8" and a rotund 245 lbs., and I fit just wonderfully in my 1996 Dodge Neon Coupe. I think the long doors give my chunky thighs enough room to slide in and out, and the bucket seats hold my chubby butt in place pretty well.

On topic....kinda.....I saw an Expedition get flipped over by a Honda Del Sol today. Rascally college kids running red lights.

Exhaust Port
06-29-2003, 12:23 AM
Being 6' 6", I drove a 1987 Chevy Nova for about 6 years and fit just fine. I'll admit that it's a bit more cramped than my current ride, a VW Jetta, but nothing that I couldn't stand. I think SUV's give you the sense of more room but the drivers compartment is still built to the same standards. The steering wheel is just as far away, the gas pedal is just as far away, the door is just as far away, etc... Sure if you're riding in the back you have more room but who cares how much room you have over your head or behind your back?

dr_evazan22
06-30-2003, 12:18 AM
I don't particularly like the newer ones because they are too tall and look a little odd to me, but I really, really liked the old ones that are the exact models the Military uses, short and wide :)

I asw a silver H2 tonightand it was sweet!

I once saw a Hummer in the more military version that was outfitted like a station wagon (as opposed to the version that had a back seat enclosed and an exposed rear deck). That would be the style I'd like. I also think it's the same basic style of the SW Hummer.

Deoxy- your right about the Mini's though! I didn't realize how small they are, but it's such a good looking car.

In my latest edition of Maxim there's a Mini ad that features a pullout sheet of car stickers (cars, minivans, SUV's). It says "Let's celebrate our victories" and the photo shows the stickers attached to the car like "kills" on a fighter!

sith_killer_99
06-30-2003, 01:46 AM
Has anyone here seen a Hummbug before? It's a VW kit car that looks like a mini version of the hummer. I forget how much the kits are, but you can buy turn key's for around $10,000! That includes a rebuilt motor, fully assembled and ready to go. I will have to find the link to their website.

dr_evazan22
06-30-2003, 03:25 AM
mini.

Trying to put this photo in again and message must be at least 10 characters long.

Exhaust Port
06-30-2003, 03:27 PM

I saw one of their print ads recently where they had a MiniCooper painted up like the General Lee from the Dukes of Hazzard. It's hysterical. :D

JEDIpartner
06-30-2003, 04:08 PM
Hummers? Ugly gas hogs with no purpose being used on standard roadways or by civilians... nuff said.

InsaneJediGirl
07-02-2003, 07:53 AM
I'd love to have a Hummer,but I can't see paying $80,000 for something I'd just drive around in.A tank would be the ultimate vehicle,no more sitting in traffic:evil:

Exhaust Port
07-02-2003, 10:23 AM
Here you go InsaneJediGirl:

Tanks and Armor for Sale (http://www.armyjeeps.net/armor1.htm)

For almost the price of a Hummer you can drive away in a 1951 M47 Patton Medium Tank. Now that demands some respect on the road!! :evil:

sith_killer_99
07-02-2003, 12:18 PM
HEY!!! Most of those Tanks are cheaper than an H2! :eek:

JediTricks
07-03-2003, 01:18 AM
Here you go InsaneJediGirl:

Tanks and Armor for Sale (http://www.armyjeeps.net/armor1.htm)

For almost the price of a Hummer you can drive away in a 1951 M47 Patton Medium Tank. Now that demands some respect on the road!! :evil:Actually, it demands a few tickets, fines, and the cops towing it away. :D

Exhaust Port
07-03-2003, 02:05 AM
All I could tell any towing company trying to tow that away is GOOD LUCK. :D

JediTricks
07-03-2003, 03:55 AM
All I could tell any towing company trying to tow that away is GOOD LUCK. :D
Why? Gun can't be fired, driver would be arrested if he tried to drive away, they'll get it out of there somehow and then give the driver a big fat towing bill. ;)

DewMan37
07-11-2003, 10:59 PM
H2's are junk. H1's are actually worth the money, there's no other vehicle like them. H2's are just big cherokee's basically, nothing special at all...

vulcantouch
07-20-2003, 07:41 PM
it's the height of irony that hummer tv ads feature an orbital view of planet earth, cuz that's exactly what every hummer owner gives zero thought to, i.e. the world at large and its limited resouces.
i assume an automatic distaste towards anyone self-absorbed enough to think they have any business owning one of these for civilian activities like, say, picking up that ice-cold Red Bull at 7-11 :p the only thing worse is when those vulgar pinheads attach mini-american flags to the roof, thereby reducing fuel efficiency even More in the name of "patriotism" :rolleyes: no wonder so much of the world hates our guts-
vt

Exhaust Port
07-20-2003, 07:52 PM
Should it also then be a crime to drive with the windows down in one's car since it drastically lowers your fuel economy? Reducing fuel efficiency in the name of "cooling."

derek
07-20-2003, 09:18 PM
Why? Gun can't be fired, driver would be arrested if he tried to drive away, they'll get it out of there somehow and then give the driver a big fat towing bill. ;)

a few years ago a guy stole an army tank from his local national guard base and went on a rampage in that tank. he was running over any and everything he could...and the cops couldn't do anything to stop him.

he finally tried to drive over a freeway barrier and broke a tread, but if he hadn't he could of gone untill he ran out of gas, or another tank shot him down.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-20-2003, 11:32 PM
I am not trying to turn this into a political thread, so I will not vent an opinion, but present the following information which comes from the July 21, 2003 issue of Time Magazine. The article highlights the failure of the government to promote conservation, and how it has even taken steps in the opposite direction. Here is a section about hummers.

Contributing even more to the trend (The trend against conservation), they (Congress) extended an extraordinary tax benefit to the gas guzzlers, so drivers who used a vehicle for work could write off the cost on their tax returns--even as much as $38,200 to a new Hummer H2 that gets only 10 m.p.g. As might be expected, consumption rose 1.5 million barrels a day over the past decade to 8.8 million last year. But for owners of pricey vehicles like the Hummer, it keeps getting better. The tax-cutting bill signed into law in May expanded the write-off to $100,000.

plasticfetish
07-21-2003, 01:13 AM
a few years ago a guy stole an army tank from his local national guard base and went on a rampage ...
I remember that. Was down in San Diego wasn't it? Good old San Diego.

so drivers who used a vehicle for work could write off the cost on their tax returns
Yeah, I've heard it suggested that people should have to prove that they use these vehicles for work. In other words, apply for a sticker through the DMV by bringing in pay stubs, etc. that show what kind of job you have. Contractors, carpenters and the like get the breaks while the rest have to pay extra. Stories similar to that one in TIME that I've read point out how incentives like those for "work vehicles" tend to be far better than those that encourage the purchase of hybrid or other low emission vehicles.

Eh, whatever ... gas won't last forever. All I know is that I don't want to be living in LA when it runs out.

Exhaust Port
07-21-2003, 09:50 AM
That's a great idea for a work vehicle incentive. What about someone who lives on 10 acres and uses a truck to move things across his land? It's technically not a job but it is a necessity to maintain his property. My only concern is a lot of people in rural areas would be penalized for owning such a vehicle. Perhaps if the penalties were only issued in urban areas.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-21-2003, 11:05 AM
Hmmmm, some information that I posted from Time Magazine (which I might add I bent over backwards not to post my opinion, just facts regarding the Hummer) was pulled, I assume for being political. When a post that was posted last night which is overtly more political, is still up? Anyone see a contradiction? :confused:

Exhaust Port
07-21-2003, 11:11 AM
Now that your previous post was deleted it makes my comments pretty hard to follow. I didn't think your comments were political enough to be pulled. In fact I thought your reference to the Time magazine article added a lot to the conversation.

vulcantouch
07-21-2003, 12:19 PM
ep: "Should it also then be a crime to drive with the windows down in one's car since it drastically lowers your fuel economy?"
-first, no one sed nuthin about no "crime"; what we're discussin here is more along the lines of a "shame". second, while driving windows-open nearly always increases aerodynamic drag as you point out, if it prevents the use of air conditioning it simultaneously Saves fuel, as the average air-conditioning system pulls an additional 20% of power from the engine when engaged. third, windows-open driving facilitates superior audio input, allowing a driver to react faster & more precisely to everything from a red-light runner to a blindside passer to an approaching emergency. (and makes a great rebuttal to those self-important hummerheads who justify their excess by claiming superior "safety" for themselves & their passengers :) ). fourth, the flag example illustrates the difference between real patriotism (sacrificing to serve the greater good) and a mere mirage of same (loudly proclaiming your loyalty while your actions have the opposite effect) :)
meanwhile, since i can safely assume lbc's "a post that was posted last night which is overtly more political" refers to mine: now that the iraq war's "over" and things've cooled down some i'd say it's time to rescind "martial law" here at ssg, i.e. the "zero tolerance" policy towards "politawk" on the forums, and go back to judging such matters maturely on a case-by-case basis. as bill maher sed, "'zero tolerance' is just another word for 'zero thought'" :cool:
vt

plasticfetish
07-21-2003, 03:37 PM
LBC ... yeah that's odd, I don't remember it as being overtly "political."

What about someone who lives on 10 acres and uses a truck to move things across his land?
Good point. I suppose that's why we leave some things up to state and local governments to decide. In the case of the example you mentioned, I don't suppose it would be so hard to show that you own a few acres and require your vehicle to help maintain your property. At any rate, I think the main idea was more about not giving people tax breaks who don't deserve them. I would frankly (and this is my opinion) not penalize anyone for owning a simple truck or even a basic SUV. I wouldn't automatically give them a huge tax break, you'd have to prove you deserve it. But, more to the topic, I would make people who buy luxury "sport" utility vehicles pay extra licensing fees. It's the "sport" word that gets me ... it's one thing owning a pickup or an old Bronco ... it's another thing when we're talking about these Hummers.

And besides, what farmer or for that matter anyone living and working in a rural environment would buy one of those things? I'd love to see the geographic statistics concerning Hummer sales. Next time we have a stage 1 smog alert here in LA, it'll give me something to read while I sit inside.