PDA

View Full Version : When do you consider it a spoiler?

Tycho
06-22-2003, 10:18 PM
OK, just last week a lot of fans went bananas over some news put up over at the Official Star Wars website.

It had to do with a character from Return of the Jedi making a prequel appearance in the final film.

Most people know the details behind this by now, but I won't say anything more because somebody will get all touchy about it :rolleyes:

Well, some fans were so happy and ecstatic about it, that it got posted all over the web on a lot of Star Wars sites.

Other fans got all angry, not because the news wasn't cool, but because it wasn't kept a secret!

What's your take on all this?

When is it a spoiler?

I tried to make the choices in the poll advance "spoiler-dom" to further and further degrees. Click on the severity of the info-breach that is where it starts to anger you - or not.

For me? Just send me the script. I think I got

the whole story figured out here, but this is a SPOILER SECTION THREAD you are clicking on. (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8671)

I'm eager to know by just how much did I get it right. That's the fun of spoilers for me.

plo koon 200
06-22-2003, 10:34 PM
I could sure use the script, now. Oh, well. There isn't too many surprises left for Epiosde III, I believe. Or, are there?

Turbowars
06-22-2003, 11:33 PM
The way I feel is, if find out about a part or what ever, it's not a big deal, but I wont go looking for it and I wont get mad. We all pretty much know whats going to happen, it's just the little details we don't know about. I cared more about spoilers in EP1 and EP2 than for EP3. To me it will be the sad ending to something I love. I mean, it will be over. Just like I hate all the endings of all the films, because I don't wont them to be over. Does anyone else feel that way?

jeffonthego
06-23-2003, 12:08 AM
I really don't want to know much about the movie - any movie.

I try to get to movies late so I don't have to watch the trailers - or just close my eyes and try to shut it out (I'm serious lol).

Trailers used to be good fun - true teasers. But now, they've become the whole movie in a minute and a half.

The biggest source of spoilers for me now is the preview toys - a necessary evil I'm afraid.

But as far as casting goes, that's really inevitable - from your basic movie info site (www.imdb.com) to the notes at the bottom of the official poster.

And for that matter, since these are prequels and there's a special thrill in how these will be tied to original trilogy, I don't mind the revelations of which characters will be back. Just don't tell me what they're going to be doing!

So I voted for Locations (and up). I really don't want to know any more than it's EpIII and what the title will be.

It's tough in a world of constant media and marketing, but I still try.

The movie, watch it I will - but nothing else! lol

dr_evazan22
06-23-2003, 12:09 AM
Seeing as how I'm a sucker, er... ah, subscriber to Hyperspace, I do want to know OFFICIAL news. That being said, I wish more care were taken in thread titles here at SSG. I'm one of the ones that clicks on "all new posts/threads" search feature, so when there is a thread "Actor X is set to play character" it's a needless spoiler. I know that as we get further into the production more threads like these will appear. Other then official news, I'm not looking to learn any spoilers.

Maybe there could be generic spoiler threads: "Casting announcements spoiler thread", "Plot spoiler thread", etc...

bobafrett
06-23-2003, 12:20 AM
I started posting in the EP III Spoilers section of this very forum. I quit, because I realized that I had let into the evil temptation of checking out the Marvel comics when I got an early release of the ROTJ comic. I didn't want to know if Darth was really Lukes father, but here I was reading everything, and I wasn't surprised when I went to see it at the theatre. I also snuck a peek into a book before seeing EPII, during Celebratiuon II, and I remember seeing Anakin laying on the ground with his arm severed, and Obi Wan laying next to him. I thought, just based on that picture, that Obi and Anakin had this great lightsaber battle, and they were both drained and lay there next to each other from the duel. Turns out I was wrong, but I don't want to know anything except who is going to be playing a part in the next film.

jcmorgan
06-23-2003, 02:33 AM
that is what made star wars great is that you don't know what is going to happen next. let us be suprised at every turn. don't tell us what is going to happen. let the film makers do their job and tell a story with out everybody second guessing them. the big draw with the first trilogy is that nobody knew what direction the movie series was going to take. please just let the creators do their job. the finale chapter will be that more enjoyable. we do not need to know everything that happens from day one, let it be brand new to all of us.

Quite-Gone Jim
06-23-2003, 09:06 AM
I said I didn't like any news, but that's not totally true. I want to know some news, like George going to Australia, were the production stands, when principal photography wraps, and stuff like that.

Why don't I want to know anything? I was so excited for EPI, that I learned everything I could. Then the movie came out and I thought it was incredibly disappointing. The more I know, the higher my expectations get, so I'm usually let down. I really tried to limit what I learned on EPII, and I really enjoyed the movie. Hayden and Natilie really stunk it up as actors, but I liked the film. The more surprised I am the more I'll like the movie.

zeroplate
06-23-2003, 10:27 AM
I prefer not to know too much about upcoming movies because in the days of the old Star Wars, there wasn't this vast network of spies and information distributors that made every detail and in fact advance copies of films available to anyone who wants them.

X2 was partially ruined for me by people hinting at spoilers. The movie was still fun, but there was no surprise ending because every advance review and news item talked about 'but I don't want to ruin the surprise'. Often, just saying that a film has a twist or surprise in it is enough to wreck it. The 6th Sense anyone? The bottom line is that if you want to avoid any and all of this, it's not that hard-- just turn off your computer.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-23-2003, 11:31 AM
I chose plot element, something that happens to so-and-so specifically. It really sucked when I found out about the fate of Qui-Gon, Darth Maul, and Jango Fett. I don't care if I hear about who's playing who, because I don't know how that character will play into the film. Same with ships and locations. I was tempted, before Episode II came out, to go to Theforce.net all the time and read the spoilers, and did, and the storyboards of the reek and Kamino scenes should've remained unseen. Oh well, I'll be a bit more careful this time as to not look through the book or on TFN. :rolleyes:

Mandalorian Candidat
06-23-2003, 12:33 PM
Spoiler definition has simply come down to personal preference. It seems that there is no general consensus as to what constitutes a spoiler so everybody has their own level of spoiler sensitivity.

Normally, I would go to the level of scene description. Knowing that Ewan MacGregor and Natalie Portman were cast in EP1 and what characters they would portray didn't spoil anything for me. However, checking out the EP1 soundtrack before the movie was released and reading the track "Qui-Gon's Funeral" took some surprise out of the ending for me. Additionally, knowing that Boba Fett was going to be in EP2 and that he would be a clone didn't bother me. Picking up the Anakin Hangar Duel figure at midnight madness and reading about his future dismemberment ticked me off.

As far as EP3 goes I want to know nothing. This is the last movie and I want to be surprised as much as possible. I don't want to know who else will show up as far as OT characters and what will happen to whom at the end. I will probably end up seeing the trailers but as far as reading any EP3 news, spoiler or "nonspoiler," count me out of this one.

FKA Broke Collector
06-23-2003, 12:34 PM
To me a spoiler is something like when a specific plot point is revealed or a summary of a story. If someone says. Hey Yoda's going to be in this movie, even if I was clusless and didn't know that, it wouldn't bother me. But if someone said hey Yoda's going to whip out five lightsabers and juggle them while using the pinky toe of his left foot to wrestle 5 dark Jedi to the ground, then yeah, that would hack me off. Not to mention that would be a really lame scene. We all know Yoda could juggle 10 lightsabers. :D

OC47150
06-23-2003, 01:01 PM
Unless you're a hermit and live in the deepest, darkest hole, there's no way to completely shut out spoilers. We're going to come across, intentionally or inadvertently, tidbits about the movie and merchandising.

Dago-BAH
06-23-2003, 01:23 PM
For me, a spoiler is a plot give away with specifics, and the one's I hate the most are the one's that are the hardest to avoid: the spoilers on the merchandise. I have never gone looking for spoilers online, so I should be OK, right? WRONG!!! If I did, I would have no one to blame but myself. But the few things that have been spoiled for me were those mentioned a few replies back by Mandalorian Candidat: Qui-Gon's death on the back of the soundtrack, and the dismemberment of Anikan and Zam Wessel on the action figures. If Lucus and company go through all this trouble to not spoil the movie, then why can't they catch simple things like these. Anything that comes out before the movie should be free of event specific spoilers. It's not like their not going to make another Anikan. They didn't right with Jango. No head popping off until after the movie was out. But things like this and Qui-Gon's funeral are inexcusable.

jrosen
06-23-2003, 01:51 PM
I don't want to hear anything. My friends used to go out of the theaters as soon as the Lucasfilm logo appeared during previews because they didn't want to hear anything. I won't go that far, but I am pretty close.

TheDarthVader
06-23-2003, 02:06 PM
I voted for plot element. Knowing a location or who is playing a part does not spoil anything for me. Just my opinion.

shortcat
06-23-2003, 02:20 PM
I hate it when people call "casting info" a spoiler. If you don't want to know anything about the movie, stay off the fan sites until after you see it. That's what fan sites are for. That's why we come here, because we can't wait to find out what MIGHT happen, or to talk about the same. What MIGHT happen does not constitute a "spoiler," but its a lot of fun to theorize. Information that Lucasfilm is putting out is not a spoiler. You saw how much screen time Bail Organa got - almost nothing - but people were angry that they announced that Jimmy Smits was playing him. I'm betting that Mon Mothma will have even less screen time, and probably won't even be named. We will probably not see a tidy tie- in to the OT. We will not see Padme have the twins, nor will we see Han Solo (I'm sure). In fact, we probably won't even see Boba Fett again. So don't worry about it, people.

Unkle Mike
06-23-2003, 03:03 PM
I just don't want to know specific plot points. I want to be surprised at all of the holes in the story's continuity when I see it in the theatre. I want to be wow-ed by the wooden acting and banal dialogue after I've paid my $7. You could tell me that Dorothy and the tin man would make a cameo appearance, and it really wouldn't affect how much I know about the story itself.
The novelizations of the movies and what we have seen from the films themselves give us enough to be hungry for Episode III. We know what has to happen to tie everything together, but we don't know which ones George Lucas will totally botch up or leave out to leave us disappointed with the final installment. I want to be surprised for that myself.

Kidhuman
06-23-2003, 07:32 PM
I for one dont care if they say the new Planet will be Arflicks or something like that. I really don't wanna know about what happens to certain characters and if certain ones will be seen in EP3 from the OT. I also could care less who is playing the characters( as long as it is someone decent). Plot line is where I draw the line on info for SW movies. I wanna be somewhat suprised, somewhat because we basically know what will happen at some point in the movie.

scruffziller
06-24-2003, 12:37 AM
The poll options are innacurate. A spoiler is not an opinion based item. If it is info, it is a spoiler whether you want to hear about it or not.

skeeziks22
06-24-2003, 01:44 AM
I couldn't really vote for any one of those choices... it really depends on my mood at the time of stumbling across the news link.

No matter how much I found out about the previous movies I was always surprised about most of what happened... Star Wars is not just a storyline, but a big part of it is about the visual impacts and sounds effects and the musical score. The movies are not written to be in novel form so the story is never as complicated as the Star Wars novels...

SO,,, the only thing I try to ignore are the trailers.

darthcow
06-24-2003, 03:30 PM
I love trailers. Teasers are great as well i can't wait to see episode III. I will get to take my kids to see there first star wars film. I will be sad when we have nothing to look forward to after the 3rd movie of 6 is out. Maybe lucas will do a live action minie series.?? doubt it but it would be nice.

The end is near so Now I will get the ???? out of here.

JediTricks
06-24-2003, 07:59 PM
For me, even the casting thing is a spoiler. If it says "so and so was cast for Ep 3 today", that's no big deal and I know I don't have to look further past the title, but when that title ties into a character, it gives me more info than I wanted. This is my last chance to go into a Star Wars movie fresh, without knowing what to expect beforehand, and I'd really like to keep that until the final product flashes before my eyes. I've avoided the Ep 3 Spoilers forum section since the day it was created because of this.

plasticfetish
06-24-2003, 09:09 PM
Never: I want to know everything about Episode 3. Get me the script now!

Honestly, I wouldn't go out of my way to find out every little detail ... but if someone handed me the script right now I'd read it for sure. I don't have too much trouble separating myself from the pre movie buzz and speculation. Once I'm sitting down to watch it for the first time in the theater, the slate is clear.
I don't tend to believe anything until I see it anyway.

aikman8_1999
06-25-2003, 01:53 AM
A spoiler-spoils the movie.

Does knowing a particular actor is in it spoil, no not really.
Does knowing a particular character is in it? maybe but not really.
Does knowing a particular character dies in it? Yeah.

Its any major plot info that does it.

Sadly, this being star wars, you will hear about some general story info wether you want it or not. The key is to avoid news or tv shows prior to the premiere.

I remember TPM mtv special had a song in it that revealed maul died. I also recall TPM soundtrack song listing for a 'death of qui gon' song. I was trying to be avoiding spoilers but geez , I think some people like to ruin plot points for you, or just bad timing of movie releases or news articles will do it too.

Time magazine ruined the matrix before it was even released if you happened to read the article...

bobafrett
06-25-2003, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by aikman8_1999
Sadly, this being star wars, you will hear about some general story info wether you want it or not. The key is to avoid news or tv shows prior to the premiere.

I just close my eyes, stick my fingers in my ears, and scream "La La La" until such said spoiler news is over. Then I keep on screaming "La La La" just to annoy those around me.

"I'll never grow up, I'm a Star Wars toy collecting kid, there are so many Star Wars toys that I can play with"

scruffziller
06-25-2003, 07:57 AM
Ultimately I would like to be completely spoiler free until opening night but I know that is just impossible because I will always cave in to hear something if it comes up.

Pendo
06-29-2003, 09:04 AM
Ultimately I would like to be completely spoiler free until opening night but I know that is just impossible because I will always cave in to hear something if it comes up.
I know what you mean. I would like to have been locked in a room with just a bed and toilet (and a TV with my DVD player and VCR with my Star Wars Vids/DVDs) and not come out until the opening night of Episode III. But I know that will never happen. I would like to also keep the title a secret until I see the opening text crawl, but again, impossible.

I was doing really well being spoiler free, until the Hyperspace on StarWars.com, then they just started giving loads of official spoilers away, and loads of stuff on the webcams, etc. I'm still going to be spoiler free about the plot, but there's no point trying to hide myself from small details such as casting, returning characters, and the big epic space battle at the begining of the movie which Rick McPrick so kindly told us about :mad:!!!

PENDO!

jeffonthego
10-31-2003, 10:23 AM
. . . don't understand how seeing a movie is fun for first time if you already what's going to happen.

Tycho
10-31-2003, 01:42 PM
I'm in that category, so I'll try to explain why I want to know everything as soon as possible:

Impatience, undeniably. That I have to fess up to, but there's more.

I care deeply about the legend and it staying true to a cool vision. So far, to me, it has. I loved TPM and AOTC.

E3 could be the real disappointer for me. I'd rather be prepared, than be dreading it in those last 3-4 hours that I'm standing in line waiting for the theater doors to open.

The surprises come right then and there when I read the spoilers, and I have time to think about them over the course of days, not seconds before something else happens in the movie.

I take SW too seriously I suppose.

If R2D2 were to have babies, something else would happen on screen only a few minutes later.

I'd rather have the time to think on this and decide if it was cool in the larger scheme of things, necessary to the plot, or a nice diversion, or if I hated it.

If I think it's cool, I'll enjoy it when I see it play out on screen.

If I hate it, I'll be able to tolerate it from being prepared, and focus on enjoying something else about the movie, dealing with R2's babies only as they are the only thing on screen - which would have to be minute portions of the movie, since SW is an action genre, not long character studies as in a drama.

JarJar did not bother me in TPM because I was prepared for him.

By contrast, Nute Gunray and Rune Haako's voices disturbed me greatly when I first saw TPM on opening night. I'd read the book and didn't imagine them talking like delayed sound-dubbing Bruce Lee. Later I got the joke, and the Kirosawa nod, (at least that's what I wrote it off too. Nute could have also been CGI). But the first time I saw TPM, I said OUT LOUD IN THE THEATER "My god! They're ruining Star Wars!" when I listened to Nute "Again you come before us your Highness..." However, I walked out of my first screening of TPM really enjoying the movie, mostly seeing how the great story I'd read, played out on the screen.

Now take another movie I enjoyed: "The Rock." I knew nothing about it when I watched it (other than I like Sean Connery) and I had no expectations or hopes riding on it. I'd never go read spoilers about that movie before I saw it, but if say, Smallville had a movie coming out, I'd be all over spoilers on that (most likely).

I don't read too many Star Trek spoilers. They have enough good writing talent over the years that I trust I can relax and just enjoy the films. I was a little concerned when I'd heard Data dies in Nemesis, but didn't go out specifically finding out how that happens. I have more vested in Deep Space Nine, in which case, if they made a movie, I'd read EVERY spoiler.

Spiderman, X-men 3, The Hulk 2, Matrix Revolutions, all these, I'll just go and watch.

Star Wars is different. I need to be ready to start an internet protest campaign if R2D2 is going to have babies and I don't like it.

plasticfetish
10-31-2003, 02:40 PM
If R2D2 were to have babies...
What?
Did I miss something here? I didn't know R2 was expecting.

(Have you been breathing too much ash Tycho?)