PDA

View Full Version : Darth Vader Thrown Room Duel (AKA Removable Helmet)

sith_killer_99
06-23-2003, 06:35 PM
I couldn't find any reviews of the new Darth Vader so I'm starting a new thread.

Well, I did it, my luck is finally changing and today I found several of the new SAGA Gold cards, among them the new Darth Vader. Let me start by saying that I have every 3 3/4 inch version of Darth Vader produced since 1977/78, LOOSE!!! Including the Takara sculpt. I also have most of them carded. So my review will take all this into consideration.

Overall I have to say that I am impressed. Which is surprising, considering my downright LOATHING of all action features!!! I will say again for the record that these loathsome gimmicks have caused me to stop being a completist. So Hasbro had to overcome a lot of prejudice to impress me with this new Vader.

So here's the big question...Is he the BEST Darth Vader ever? In a word, NO! But he comes close.:evil: And some may even say yes.

Let's start with the head and work our way down.

Head: Impressive. Anakin's sculpt under the helmet is the most impressive head sculpt to come out of Hasbro in a long time, even if it is only 3/4 of his head. With the helmet on "Vader" looks a bit long in the face/helmet, but it's not that bad, and the Anakin sculpt more than makes up for any minor imperfections with the helmet. Grade: A+

Upper body: The sculpt is very good here as well, making Vader look big without being on roids, more along the lines of the Masters of the Darkside Vader, but better detailed. He also has his the chain painted on, which looks good.

Vader's right arm has ball-shoulder articulation, which works surprisingly well and dosen't take away from the sculpt at all IMO. Which makes me wonder why they didn't go the same route with his left shoulder, which has the standard articulation.

His right elbow is articulated the way Bespin Luke's knees are, that is, he can bend at the elbow, like he's doing a curl, or swing it out to the right or left. Only the sculpt is better, tighter, with a much less noticable gap. What impressed me most about the right arm was that it holds it's position well, whereas I thought it would be another limp limb. lol.:eek: The right wrist is also articulated for that "turn-the-knob-on-the-radio" articulation. Meanwhile the left arm still only has that one shoulder joint. Oh, and the right hand is not removable, which mean that it's not really movie accurate.

The most annoying thing is that Vader does have trouble holding his lightsaber, with his right hand, the hand isn't closed enough to get a good grip on the hilt.:( Yet his left hold it just fine, which makes no sense since his right arm has all the articulation.:rolleyes: Grade: B-

Dual capes: This Vader has those "wind blown" capes. The detail is great, but they stick out pretty far and Vader has to lean forward at the waist to balance and stand, which is OK if you have him in a dueling stance. The shoulder cape is removable like the Bespin Vader and may even be the same sculpt, I haven't had time to compare them. Grade: B

Lower body: The lower body of this Vader is much like the MOTDS Vader, except the waist cape is a bit more open and allows for more movement of the legs, the armor is also a bit more shiny than the MOTDS Vader. The boxes on his belt are a bit bulkier than the MOTDS Vader. Grade: A

Action feature: My action feature dosen't work all that well, which begs the question...Why bother? However, in Hasbro's defense (yes I said defense lol) the feature dosen't really detract from this figure, his waist is tight and so is his arm, not to mention that the "button" is even less obtrusive than the one on Bespin Vader. So, while I still oppose action features, this one dosen't really take away from the quality of the figures. Grade: C+

Lightsaber: Metal hilt, but the blade is glued in?!?! I think this is a first, maybe a way to avoid broken sabers. Grade: A

This guy rivals MOTDS Vader, and he's growing on me by the minute.

Advice from SK99:

Do not pass this one up!!! He's worth every penny of the $5.00 I spent, well, OK $10.00 (I bought 2).;)

Overall grade: A

EDIT: I just realized that in addition to all his other attributes, this Darth Vader is capable of holding his lightsaber with BOTH hands, AND he can do so from "arms down", all the way up to "hands over his head", and anywhere in between. That is why his arms/hands are designed the way they are. I will post scans later. This figure just keeps getting better and better.

sith_killer_99
06-24-2003, 01:27 AM
Scans as promised...

sith_killer_99
06-24-2003, 01:56 AM
higher up...

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-24-2003, 12:27 PM
Isn't he designed to throw the saber, like in the movie? That'd be why his right hand is loose. :) Are you sure his hand isn't removable?

sith_killer_99
06-25-2003, 01:34 PM
Nope, no removable hand.

I also just noticed that the new Vader's belt is wrong. The disk on his buckle is on the wrong side.:eek:

Every other Vader I have compared him with has the disk on the right side as viewed from the front (that's Vader's left). However, the new Vader has the disk on the left side as viewed from the front (or Vader's right).

The person who did this must have been the same person who painted Lukes' hand. lol

JEDIpartner
06-26-2003, 12:22 PM
Nice review... apparently the person who sculpted these must have been looking at mirror images. *sigh*

JEDIpartner
07-07-2003, 09:22 AM
Well... I got this figure last week and I must say that I am not quite as impressed with it as you are, Mr. SithKiller.

Since they incorporated the removable helmet feature, not only is Vader's helmet a little tall, his neck is swollen looking. It looks great without the helmet but put the helmet on... and it's just a little odd.

The cape tends to fall off rather easily a la the first version of Dooku and the tree-cave "spirit" version of Vader.

The holes in his feet are a little too big and doesn't allow him to stand on action stands without eventually falling over. I wasn't too keen about that.

I am giving this figure a B-

AmanaMatt
07-22-2003, 12:58 PM
I was really looking foward to this fig and now that I have it, I wish they never made it.

The face sculpt is fine, the paint is not

Upper body is good, and while the legs are detailed, they look skinny

Helmet on - wrong, completely off, as the neck is too big, looks bad on.

The overall pose is not good. Vader needs to be leaned to kinda look ok, but looks very awkard.

The only real improvements to the original are that this fig is taller, and look less bulky. I hate to say this, but the POTF2 one is better.

Also, I love the total lack of silver detailing on Vader's chest. It looks very unpainted without.

If you want a great rem helmet vader, get the Epic Force one, now that is cool!

My grade: C-

sith_killer_99
07-22-2003, 02:11 PM
If you want a great rem helmet vader, get the Epic Force one, now that is cool!

I have the epic force Vader and his helmet's not removable. :confused:

JEDIpartner
07-22-2003, 04:42 PM
Did you mean the Unleashed or the Power of the Force version? The Epic Force one is a statue on a lazy Susan.

InsaneJediGirl
07-22-2003, 09:55 PM
Did you mean the Unleashed or the Power of the Force version? The Epic Force one is a statue on a lazy Susan.

LOL,My cat ate the lightsaber off of EF Vader,even she thought it was bad. :D

Anyways,I'm on the fence getting this figure.Bespin Vader came out,and he wasnt as good as I was hoping.Would one say this Vader is better,worse,or about the same?

JediTricks
07-23-2003, 01:27 AM
I think Matt is referring to the 2nd Unleashed Vader.

AmanaMatt
07-23-2003, 05:42 AM
Sorry, I was - though he is not removable helmet, he has removable head - kinda the same, and the detail and pose are much cooler. The new fig is just blah.

Dark Marble
07-23-2003, 04:01 PM
I am not 100% sure about this figure at all. It is a figure that I knew I had to have. But after making the comparison I still like the POTF2 version better. The POTF2 version is in a neutral pose with a removable helmet and removable hand. And best of all there is no wind swept capes or gimmicks dragging on the figure. However, I have to commend the saga version on its detail and greater attention to scale. I am glad I have the saga version, but it is not the best Vader IMO and not my favorite Vader to date. But worth every penny of the $4.77 plus tax I paid for it....if that is saying anything.

Hellboy
07-23-2003, 07:47 PM
I really like this figure but he's not perfect. My figure's right arm does go limp and even on a stand he seems to have a limited amount of stances you can put him in because of the bigger foot holes JEDIpartnr mentioned. If I was to compare him to the POTF FF Vader I'd have to say the head sculpt looks way better, the FF Vader's head always seemed to skinny, and the chest is more accurately proportioned. This figure is far better than I expected and I really am quite happy with it despite it's faults.

Overall I'd give this figure an A-

plasticfetish
07-26-2003, 04:41 AM
Found him tonight ... seen a little bit of everything I've thought in most of your posts.

Firstly, I really wanted this one to work out. I was skeptical, but I've been crossing my fingers that I would crack open the bubble and find that it turned out nice after all.

I think the head/face sculpt is nice, as is the rest of the figure in general. There's why I bought it ... had to open one and find out the rest. I think sith_killer_99 is right, the gimmick doesn't ruin the sculpt, but ... mine doesn't work at all either (so it ruins the toy.) The button is jammed all the way in and the torso will only turn and click if I turn it. The ball socket shoulder is cool and yes they should have used it on both arms. My right elbow (Vader's that is) is super loose and it won't stay bent ... unless I want it to stay bent backwards like he's double jointed. His hips are loose and like JEDIpartnr said, the holes in the feet are too big (on only one foot for mine though.) He MUST have a stand because he's so back heavy ... unless you want to bend him over like he's walking in a hurricane. (I think that's my favorite pose so far ... Gale Force Vader.) I usually don't care for wind blown plastic capes, but this one isn't so bad. Besides the fact that, yes it's loose around the neck, it looks pretty good. There's not much else that would work with the wind blown plastic skirt I suppose. The saber is more of the same. Yep, glued in blade to prevent kids and adults alike from snapping the little feeble peg that holds them together. I had thought (and I was wrong) that this was going to be redesigned ... with a metal peg that went into the blade. I still think these are a bad design ... but I suppose it's nice that Hasbro glued this one and saved me the trouble.

So, the "nice" ... glue him to a stand with the saber fixed in both hands and he looks OK.

And the "naughty" ... I don't collect statues, I collect toys. I don't want an action figure with broken gimmicks that's all wobbly and can barely stand up with the help of a stand. I'm going to give my son his figure tomorrow (I'd give him this one but he'll nail me on the action feature being broken) ... he was pretty excited to see that they'd come out with another removable helmet Vader. The kid said to me "I like Vader, I want to be Vader." So I said ... "for Halloween?" And then he replied, "Oh, yeah ... sure." He's going to pick this "toy" up and give it the works. He's going to push the worthless button a few times and then smother him in Play Doh. He's gonna wiggle the one arm that wiggles and bend the one that sort of bends. He'll try to make him stand up and when he won't, he'll pull off his helmet and smother him in Play Doh again. He'll basically play with the toy and I'll let you know what he thinks about it later.

I think it's inferior. Nice idea that was poorly produced. The gimmick seems like an afterthought ... bad design and even worse execution. The sculpt and general look of the figure is really good ... but in production they killed it. Loose joints and poorly fitting parts ... bootleg quality with cheap soft plastic. I expect more, even for five dollars. I don't know who it is that's in charge of final production ... who it is that says, "Yeah, that's great! It's a work of art, let's box it up and ship it out." But I want that guy to have my figure. I'd take it back to Wal-Mart, but I'm not gonna kill my chances of ever seeing other figures that I might really like. This one gets a D+ from me ... and I'm going to be putting it in an envelope and mailing it back to where it came from real soon.

plasticfetish
07-27-2003, 08:08 PM
OK. Update ...
Vader was well received by the kid. He promptly informed me that the cape was the same as the Bespin Vader (we compared and it is) and then he asked me why the button thing doesn't work. His is broken also (so duh, he could have had mine) but he didn't seem to care. Hey Hasbro! Not that you don't already know this, but the kids don't care about the action gimmicks. Anyway, Vader was promptly smothered in some of that "GAK" stuff and then left to die. I suppose the kid would give this figure a "B-" just because it's Vader, his helmet comes off and ... he can't have my Complete Galaxy Vader that he keeps asking for ("the one with the chamber thing") so this one will have to do.

yngadult
08-11-2003, 03:54 PM
In case anyone want to customize their Vader and alleviate the problems the Saga Vader has (ineffective button, arm and cape) then read this.

I bought Saga Vader because I heard he was taller than previous Vaders and therefore more accurate in height.
I opened him up to find his forearm was loose and the button did not work. Basically, it was trash and yes, the cape was useless as well.
I boiled him up and removed his legs, putting them on another Vader I had (I think form the Toys R US Imperial 4 Pack). I then smashed up his body so as to remove his head without stretching it through the torso opening. I placed it in the other Vader and voila!
I have to me the best Vader so far.
He is taller than the other basic figures as he should be.
His Saber arm has two traditional joints and the hand comes off!
His helmet comes off to reveal a good sculpt of the head.

The only drawback for me is the torso which seems to have a sunken in chest. I liked the older torso as they showed a more muscular chest which may not be movie accurate but makes for a more intimidating Vader which the character should be.

I did have a 'muscular' Vader (from the board game) as well and tried putting the legs on it, but, for some reason, it did not make him any taller. So, I went back to the Imperial 4 pack Vader.

LTBasker
08-13-2003, 11:31 PM
Anyways,I'm on the fence getting this figure.Bespin Vader came out,and he wasnt as good as I was hoping.Would one say this Vader is better,worse,or about the same?

BETTER.

Just found these figures today, and what can I say but I love it!

I swear, this is one of the best Saga figures, if not one of the best figures. I am so glad Hasbro screwed up on this gimmick! The right arm I'm most psyched about. It's got a whole 5 articulation points to itself, including a ball jointed shoulder and elbow. The fifth is an articulated wrist, at least I think it's articulated. Could've sworn it turns.. it's on a peg but I don't want to force it as it's kinda stubborn right now. I recall though that Baby Fett's arm joint wouldn't turn either before I froze it and it worked great after that.

The down points are that his waist springs back when turned unless locked into place after turning it fully. His cape is I do believe Bespin Vader's and is too heavy for him, also his left arm is one piece and posed badly.

I'm thinking of getting two more though, so I can take the right arm and put it on the left (the sculpting is generic enough to where you can just twist the elbow around and it'll look fine) then cut off the left hand and toss it on the peg.

Overall I'd give it a 9. If it had a better cape and left arm, even with the gimmick it'd be a 10.