PDA

View Full Version : new Mac/IBM G5 chips - fastest PC chip

EricRG
06-24-2003, 01:25 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/06/23/apple.new.reut/index.html

Once again, Apple ups the ante. But starting at, ehem, $1999 for the computer alone, these things are out of range for most. At least this'll bring down the price of the G4s so I can get me one of those.

Exhaust Port
06-24-2003, 09:38 AM
They'll be the king of the hill until Intel or Athelon announce the launch of their new chip. As fast as that market moves, you're only on top for a few weeks until someone out performs you. Like you said Eric, the biggest benefit any announcement like this isn't that you can buy the fastest machine out there, it's that you can now buy the older stuff cheaper.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-24-2003, 10:39 AM
I don't think I'm as big a techie as many of you guys because I got a Dell laptop last December with a 1.5 GHz Celeron processor and it is totally satisfactory to me. I was using a homemade computer with a 200 MHz or so processor for a few years before and it seemed to do the job OK. I got a lot of flack for choosing the Celeron but the price was really low so I couldn't pass it up.

Does anyone see a significant difference between a Celeron and a P3 or P4 of the same clock speed?

LusiferSam
06-24-2003, 11:56 AM
I've been waiting for the G5 to replace my aging blue and white G3. But I'll likely wait for the second round of G5s because the G3 still does most of what I want and need it to do.

What I'm exited for is Panther. Jaguar was a killer improvement over 10.1. So I my fingers are itching to my hands on Panther. But what burns me is Apple is again charging $129 for the upgrade all around.

Darth Jax
06-24-2003, 10:42 PM
apple's are always gonna be more expensive. fine by me, i'll always be willing to cough up the extra money. the product is absolutely deserving of the price they charge. in a few years i'll be ready to get rid of my G4, but by then they'll be introducing the G6.

plasticfetish
06-25-2003, 05:32 AM
Bye bye Motorola ... hello Big Blue.
Funny to think that it's an IBM engine beneath the hood of that pretty Apple box.

We'll see how this all works out. By the time anyone gets around to releasing software that can work with this chip's 64 bit hotness ... we'll be seeing Intel and AMD jumping in on the fun.

I'll admit, I've 3 boxes on my desk ... 2 older ones (P1 & P2) with the letters I, B & M on them and another little Bondi that creaks along at 233mhz. I love them all, but there hasn't been a decent reason to upgrade past my 5+ year old technology. If anything it's good to see Apple once again kicking the industry in the *** and getting things moving.

swnum1
06-25-2003, 09:15 PM
A Mac machine sucks and will always suck, no exception. That new chip is nothing. There OS makes up for whatever advance the processor could have.:rolleyes:

Long Live Microsoft!

Exhaust Port
06-25-2003, 10:41 PM
Bill Gates, is that you?

plasticfetish
06-26-2003, 03:02 AM
It's his brother Rusty.

DewMan37
07-11-2003, 10:06 PM
World's fastest PC chip? lmao, not quite.

Mandalorian, I built a secondary machine, and it has a celeron 1 ghz chip in it, and it won't play rips. (divx) My friend has a P2 450, and that plays them flawlessly. Both of the machines have 512 SD ram. Celerons suck, that's all there is to it.