PDA

View Full Version : New Snowtrooper

BLASTERMAN
06-24-2003, 10:50 AM
Greetings fellows collectors,

I, like many others I'm sure, were anxiously awaiting a new
Snowtrooper from Hasbro. Well, now that I have a few, let me
say this - IT SUCKS. Here's why -

-shoulder armor is upside down (like the AT-AT driver's)
-forearm armor is incorrect (it has regular trooper armor)
-gloves are incorrect (gauntlets? I don't think so)
-no pouches on front of belt (duh)
-no armor pads on the knees (since when?)
-'97 version is more accurate/how'd that happen?

Don't get me started on the useless right foot articulation,
while other figures(Pilot Padme)that don't need/deserve it,
get multiple points.

I thought Hasbro was starting a new "better" trend.
Hmmm...apparantly not. THIS figure is a step backwards.
I'm VERY disappointed, to say the least.

Old Fossil
06-24-2003, 11:28 AM
The few other reviews I've read on the Snowtrooper tend to validate your points. What a shame! I was looking forward to this being the 'definitive' Snowtrooper figure. Guess I'll still buy one, if I find one, but my enthusiasm has lessened quite a bit.

LTBasker
06-24-2003, 11:51 AM
Though they didn't specify it (foolish move) the Snowtrooper is actually supposed to be the Snowtrooper Officer in the AT-AT cockpit. Why they made him an infantry rusher, no clue. But that explains the lack of some combat equipement. Now for the actual figure, I don't see why they made it so sucky. People have been clamoring for a new Snowtrooper with good neutral to battle articulation. Then they go and make the neutral stanced Officer but put him in a battle pose, stupid move. I don't get why it's just so hard for Hasbro to grasp this, they're like 3 year olds alot of times. You tell them something but they don't listen to whom they should listen to.

Like this the Snowtrooper will likely reach only about half the sales it would if it had been a better multi-diorama army builder.

Tycho
06-24-2003, 02:00 PM
I told you so. :rolleyes: *sigh*

mm74md
06-24-2003, 02:30 PM
Hey BLASTERMAN, did you find this at retail? Just curious as I also live in Maryland.

BLASTERMAN
06-24-2003, 02:53 PM
MM74MD - No, I ordered them from Amoktime.com.
Where are you in MD.? I'm in the Severn area.

Forgive me if this has been discussed before. I haven't
been here in quite a while.

LTBasker - I see. If this is supposed to be the officer,
then yes, Hasbro fubar'd the name. However, after
looking at various shots of that guy, I can't find anything
that shows his basic uniform being any different.
(other than the upside-down shoulder pads and minor
details like the little silver discs on the sides of his helmet)

Even if this is the officer, I would think the basic uniform
pieces would be the same. Without naming him "officer",
it just looks like made up crap, imo. I mean, shouldn't we
have SOME way of seeing evidence of this character?

I don't know...I'm just ranting. I just thought Hasblow
would have done a better job on this.

LTBasker
06-24-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
I told you so. :rolleyes: *sigh*

When? I tell you alot of stuff and that's what you do when I say it. :p

Originally posted by BLASTERMAN
However, after looking at various shots of that guy, I can't find anything that shows his basic uniform being any different.

There was a mostly full body shot of a Snowtrooper Officer extra in costume, will try and find it. Unless our never ending archive (Jar-Jar) wants to post it for me. ;)

I don't mind them making the Officer, but they should've called it Snowtrooper: Commanding Officer and actually used a good picture for it.

Jargo
06-24-2003, 06:38 PM
The ankle articulation seems to be there so he can be posed with that leg slightly back and his body leaning into the cannon. If you stand him he seems supposed to have the foot straightened and maintain a more neutral stance by the look of the design. Now I don't have one and nor do I know for a fact but logic dictates that this is how the design was intended to be implemented.

As for his uniform he is neither an officer or a grunt. There are details wrong for either costume. It isn't a total screw up because he looks more like the officer but why would you want an army of officers? A reculpt of the grunt was required and hasbroken failed to deliver yet again. No surprise there then.

JangoFart
06-26-2003, 12:38 AM
I dig him. Not perfect, but what is?

Nice sculpt, nice outfit, nice head, and nice accessories. No complaints here.

J

BLASTERMAN
06-26-2003, 01:02 AM
That's cool if you like him. I'll agree with you on the figure
looking good for what it is, overall, but it's just not right.

After all this time though, you'd think Hasblowcould maybe
...just maybe, start getting the details right.

When the '97 version looks better(uniform accuracy)over
the new one, we have a problem.

Are we also getting a new Luke with wrong glove? How about
the fact that the new Clonetrooper 3-packs gives us one guy
holding his rifle with the wrong hand? Clones are clones. They
all fire their rifles with their RIGHT hand, NOT their left. Hasblow
does it again. Not paying attention to the details, while we're
expected to just sit back and swallow whatever they make.

...just pointing it out.

JangoFart
06-26-2003, 01:06 AM
Heck, I DIG that Luke has the wrong glove on!! Kinda another bloody hand type of deal. I got my wrong-hand Luke today and I like it for it's novelty. I'll get the correct one too, most likely.

I don't think for a second that something as drastic as the wrong-hand deal is an accident or oversight. It was intentional to get folks to buy more than one of a given figure. Heck, even the pics on the back of the new Luke show his glove on the correct hand.

J

plasticfetish
06-26-2003, 05:27 AM
Oh well, bummer.
I was on the fence with this one, but now I'll probably pass.

Knee pads could have meant a good way to hide some articulation. The shoulder thing is simply lame and I wonder how with Lucas approving every detail on these figures that we end up with something so ... wrong. Could be he has nothing to do with them? *GASP* (pretending to be surprised.) Or perhaps he can't find an original copy of ESB to use as reference.

TheDarthVader
06-26-2003, 01:32 PM
Oh no! I was planning on buying six of him to put inside of my newly aquired AT-AT! Should I buy the older snowtrooper instead? Thoughts? I want a "small army" to go on the pegs inside my collassal AT-AT...but not if the figures suck. Please let me know what YOU would do about this matter. Thanks!!!

BLASTERMAN
06-26-2003, 01:56 PM
Overall, I'd say it looks good. It's just not accurate.
Buy all you want.

Droidlover
06-27-2003, 04:27 AM
Regarding Lucas, he did specifically name the droid in the Jedi Starfighter R4, when the dome is from an R2, I read somewhere this pointed out to him and he did not seem to care.
If anyone finds the Snowtrooper and doesn't want him, send him my way.

INDIANA
06-28-2003, 04:32 PM
From my copy of the Action Figure Archieve, there are front and back shots which I think Jar JAr has posted before. It looks just like the new Snowtrooper (OFFICER) and was obviously the reference for the new figure. The shoulder armor is upside down, this may have just been the way the actor was dressed that day. There are no pouches, he has a holster, there is rank insignia on his left chest. Had Hasblow gave a damn about QC and named the figure correctly, we would not be having this forum. How bloody hard can it be for Hasblow to get someone to just CHECK THINGS OUT!