PDA

View Full Version : Why the Epiosde # suddenly?

ronhudy
06-26-2003, 01:37 PM
The first trilogy has always been referred to simply as "Star Wars", "The Empire Strikes Back", and "Return of the Jedi". Not "Episode IV", or "A New Hope". Why are the new films having the Episode # stuck in front of them? The media attention and hype that surrounds these films as they are released is enough to inform everybody what the timeline is and what sequence the movie is in. Yeah, I'm a pretty big fan of the films, and I do sometimes refer to the originals by Episode #. But I knew that without the Episode # in the title of the film. Why is there so much emphasis on it now? I just think it's unnecessary. Am I being picky...?

scruffziller
06-26-2003, 01:49 PM
If you watch closely in the original cut of the movie that was released in 1977 as the premise text scrolls the starscape you will
see it says EPISODE IV. It always has been episode IV. The emphasis is being placed on it now because the entire string of stories are being put into perspective in relation to the OT. When there was talk back in the mid 80s of the prequels being done, they were refered to as EPS 1,2,3 because that was the only way that could identify them because they had no name yet but we could call them that at least. And since we have called them that it is only natural to use their "original" tag along with the new ones Phantom, Attack, etc.

Pendo
06-26-2003, 01:51 PM
Well the old movies were always Episode V, VI (and IV after Episode V was released), but we knew the titles of the movies quite early on so got used to refering to them as Star Wars, Empire, and Jedi.
With the prequels we do not know the titles until later on in development, so get used to refering to them by their Episode number :). It's much easier saying "Episode III" that "That Star Wars movie which hasn't finished being made yet" :rolleyes:!

PENDO!

Beast
06-26-2003, 01:53 PM
They've had the Episode Titles, from almost the beginning. Episode IV: A New Hope was added to the credits shortly before ESB came out. It wasn't there originally, just because at the time, Lucas didn't know if the film would be popular enough to guarentee Sequels, much less prequels. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

scruffziller
06-26-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
They've had the Episode Titles, from almost the beginning. Episode IV: A New Hope was added to the credits shortly before ESB came out. It wasn't there originally, just because at the time, Lucas didn't know if the film would be popular enough to guarentee Sequels, much less prequels. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

My bad.:p

ronhudy
06-26-2003, 01:59 PM
I understand and I do know that the Episode # has always been in the original title and opening sequence, and I do understand that it's an easy way to refer to the films when in production and no actual title has been placed on it. But what my point is, that when the movie is finally released or close to it, and the posters and artwork are put out, the emphasis is still on the Episode #. For example, if you look at the movie posters from the last two movies, the text "Episode I" or "Episode II" is like 5 times the size of "Star Wars" or the actual title. It makes me want to just refer to the movie by it's number, when I think the title is so much more important.

scruffziller
06-26-2003, 02:08 PM
It is because we have called it that for so long that it is the hook that marketing recognizes that will work. The word "EPISODE" is practically synonomous the words STAR WARS. If a little kid's real name is John and he is called SPARKY all his life and he starts to want to be called by John, it is going to take a long time for people to shake off calling him SPARKY. They emphasize on it because it is the most recognizable. Like I said before, MARKETING. To see the III on a poster is almost as recognizable as Darth Vader's mask. And catches your eye almost as quickly. If I saw a poster hanging at the theatre in the lobby about January 2005 with nothing but a III I would know exactly what it is.

ronhudy
06-26-2003, 04:06 PM
>It is because we have called it that for so long<

So Long?!?! You mean, like 4 or 5 years, since "Episode I" was close to coming out? We weren't calling them by Episode # until "Phantom Menace was getting close! Compare that to 20+ years prior to that, when we always called them by title, even the Special Edition releases!!

>If I saw a poster hanging at the theatre in the lobby about January 2005 with nothing but a III I would know exactly what it is.<

How do you know it wouldn't be "Legally Blonde 3" or "Charlie's Angels 3"? It would be typical of some MARKETING dept. of a rival film company to come up with such a parody!!

Beast
06-26-2003, 04:13 PM
Umm, I've been calling Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope that since about 1980 when it was changed to be titled that. It's been Episode IV, longer then it was ever just Star Wars. It's just like the old movie series, where you went to see things like Commando Cody - Chapter I: The Death Bridge. Etc. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

The Overlord Returns
06-26-2003, 04:24 PM
Yawn......

Is this the best discussion we can come up with these days?

ronhudy
06-26-2003, 05:40 PM
Sorry bud! It's just been bothering me for some time - had to get my frustration out! Soon we too, will be identifed by numbers instead of names if we let this go down....!!

O.K. That was sarcastic. I guess I'll leave this topic alone now....

Beast
06-26-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by ronhudy
Soon we too, will be identifed by numbers instead of names if we let this go down....!!

O.K. That was sarcastic. I guess I'll leave this topic alone now....
We already are. Social Security number, and State I.D./Driver's Licence. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

dr_evazan22
06-27-2003, 01:06 AM
It also may have some bearing on the fact that GL was inspired by episodic TV and movies when he was growing up: The show ends and announcer says "Joins us next episode when Luke gets his hand cut off and Vader reveals a terrible secret!" On the same Bat-time and same Bat-channel.

scruffziller
06-27-2003, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by ronhudy
How do you know it wouldn't be "Legally Blonde 3" or "Charlie's Angels 3"? It would be typical of some MARKETING dept. of a rival film company to come up with such a parody!! [/B]

Even if they did that, they are no doubt using SW's recognizableness of the use of chapter numbers to catch peoples attention. It is no different than what they did for Austin Powers 2. That proves my point.
Oh I guarantee that that is what it would be. Anything is possible but in the world of Hollywood where big bucks are thrown around and this biz is serious there would be no question.
Even the closest thing that you could say that would be practically mistaken used the bare elements to identify it, Terminator 3. It would need a "T" at the beggining because that is how it has been called T2 to T3 and then T4. BUt I can guarantee, the greater percentage of SW fans will know when they see,
III and it will be nothing else(if they choose to that.)