PDA

View Full Version : Lame villains

El Chuxter
06-26-2003, 06:33 PM
Who is the lamest villain of all time, in your opinion?

My vote, despite heavy competition, has to go to Arcade. First, what is his power, or does he just play games? He can control the X-Men, right? That still doesn't forgive the outfit. Ye gods!!

Runners up include:

Crazy Quilt
The Calendar Man (they tried a couple of years ago to update him, but it just didn't work)
The Owl
8-Ball (this guy debuted in the 90s? :eek: )
Dazzler (she's a hero, true, but she's so lame she ranks here anyway)
Mojo
Stegron, the Dinosaur Man
Steel Wind (Dazzler's disco cousin)

jjreason
06-26-2003, 06:51 PM
Stilt Man stinks. Impossible Man stinks too - too powerful. The Beyonder stinks for the same reason (except that previously mentioned time when he was all fat, and could tell the babes didn't like the blubber so he went all buff again in the snap of a finger - that rocked).

Mole Man ain't all that great. Any X-Men villain that ain't Magneto is second rate (Arcade included, but I don't hate Mojo as much as you do, EC).

Only Spider-Man has a near flawless array of repeat-quality villains in the Marvel Universe, everyone else fights a few real baddies and tons of patsies.

I think Bat Man may have the nastiest rivals around, though Spidey's rank right up there.

What I hate worse than a lame villain, is the heroization (?) of cool villains due to public approval of the character. Im talking Sabretooth, Emma Frost, Juggernaut, Rowdy Roddy Piper :D , etc.

dr_evazan22
06-27-2003, 02:12 AM
Chux- add Carnage to that list. The Armadillo (Capt Amer)

jj- Venom to yours.

How about the villianization of a hero? Prof X into Onslaught. I'm sure there are others.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-27-2003, 10:25 AM
Read the Scourge series of the mid-80s to find out just how lame the Marvel villains were. My vote? Turner D. Century. His power? To look out of place and throw his hat, I think. :confused: Scary.

I don't like the "Darth Maul" syndrome; create a cool villain (or hero) and then kill them off soon after. I remember an older Capt. America story with Vermin, a rat king type guy. Brings Cap close to the losing-it point after Cap beats him into submission. Saw him about 10 years later, maybe. :eek: Thunderbird in X-Men. Into'd in #94, dead by #95. Yes, it was a noble sacrifice, but give him a little more time. :frus:

El Chuxter
06-27-2003, 12:29 PM
Dude, I completely forgot Carnage! He was so lame. Still is if he's not dead.

The only reason Bats has great villains is because he has so many. For every great foe, he's got twelve bad ones. True, there's Joker, Riddler, Penguin, Two-Face. . . but I refer you also to Puzzler, Egghead, Tweedledee and Tweedledum, Catman, Gentleman Ghost, Calendar Man, Crazy Quilt, Blockbuster (though they've made him decent in Nightwing), Riddler, Louie the Lilac, the Mime, Magpie. . . .

Capitan_Moroni
06-27-2003, 05:35 PM
There was a pretty lame character on the superman animated series one time, who was a figmint of Supermans imagination. For the life of me I cant remember his name, but he was voiced by Gilbert Goddfrey.

Eternal Padawan
06-27-2003, 06:20 PM
Norm Breyfogle drew Catman AWESOME though.

The Slyder in Spiderman.

The Wrecking crew ( one of these guys is lame, the other three are like redundant lameness in case the first guy's lame sputters out).

Those three armored dillholes from Iron Man. One has an electified net, the others have equally lame weapons. So Lame I can't remember their names.

The Termite (also from Iron Man)

Blastaar from the F4. Wooly interdimensional barbarian thingie? Ooh! Scary!

Master of the World from Alpha Flight. Why does this loser continue to start his world domination scemes in Canada?

dr_evazan22
06-27-2003, 08:06 PM
just put all of Alpha Flight on the list. And from DC The Creeper.

jjreason
06-28-2003, 05:41 AM
Why does this loser continue to start his world domination scemes in Canada?

Where else do you stand nearly so excellent a chance of Immigration losing your deportation order? (It was some news story within the past few months, how many thousands - no, Im serious - of deportation orders had been lost/forgotten/not acted upon up here. Disconcerting to say the least.

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-02-2003, 02:39 PM
Wait Wait, Calendar man?!?! I don't read comics that much, but for the love of God, somebody tell me what his powers/abilities were. :D

El Chuxter
07-02-2003, 02:51 PM
Wait Wait, Calendar man?!?! I don't read comics that much, but for the love of God, somebody tell me what his powers/abilities were. :D
Calendar Man was a 60s Batman villain who didn't have any abilities aside from a weird obsession with dates. He had one of the corniest costumes ever.

A few years ago, DC released a Batman one-shot comic where they tried to redefine Calendar Man (as they've done with Penguin, Killer Moth, and other could-be-lame villains). The first two stories were flashbacks of Calendar Man proving how lame he was. He then decides to take a persona based on the Mayan (?) culture, since their calendar said the world would end around that time. So he starts a huge campaign of terror, the main point of which was crashing a loaded 747 into a main Gotham City highway during rush hour. Batman can't prevent this from happening, but thwarts him from further acts along the same line, and the last we see, he's in Arkham (since his danger level has been significantly upgraded), laughing because he's learned another ancient culture has a calendar on which the world ends a few months after his scheduled release. . . years from now.

Funny thing is, he still was damn lame. And, since the book came out in late 2000 or early 2001, it quickly became retroactively tasteless due to the use of a passenger jet as a weapon of mass destruction.

hamsterboy
07-19-2003, 08:58 PM
You mean you guys ain't got The Spot listed? This guy is beyond lame. I mean,what did they do,watch that old Looney Tunes cartoon with that little professor guy that made holes and say,"hey,that would be a cool super-power"?

Eternal Padawan
08-07-2003, 12:29 AM
Yeah, the spot was a turd of a villain.

How about Stilt-Man from Daredevil? He had extendo legs which made him...erm...threatening...and stuff. I think Daredevil defeated him the same every time, BY TRIPPING HIM.

Nanny and the Orphan Maker. Yup. Even their names are lame.

Rock and Redeemer. tee hee, these Hulk villains could wind up in the lame villain hall of fame. Honestly, who has a mad on for the Hulk so much, they would volunteer to get turned into a big chunk of rock?
"Sooo, after this process i'll be a big chunk of rock with no arms and legs?"
"Yup."
"What about sweet lovin with the ladies?"
"Nope."
"But I can still go to the strip tease right?"
"Sorry, no equipment after this. You'll be a big chunk of rock."
"Can I still toss back a cold suds or two to wind down?"
"Uh uh. It'll just be your Mcfarlane face sticking out of a big chunk of rock."
"Well, I hate the Hulk, so lets do it."

jjreason
08-07-2003, 01:53 AM
Yeah, I'm totally NOT digging on the old Robin being the big bad guy in Hush. His costume is so stupid............

Just kidding. Had you going didn't I? :kiss:

El Chuxter
01-09-2004, 05:18 PM
Transformers #0 reminded me of the most lame baddies of all time, though there's a chance they may be redeemed if this story arc pans out:

The Quintessons. True, they were kinda funny in the movie, but they gave new depths to the word "suck" in the subsequent cartoons and one issue of the Marvel comic they appeared in.

sith_killer_99
01-09-2004, 06:35 PM
Javelin from Green Lantern (Old School) early 80's.

Speaking of which, good 'ol GL has had some lame villans over the years.

dr_evazan22
01-09-2004, 11:42 PM
I was just re-reading the first posts, before mine, and thought of the very same villian again, Armadillo. Jeez! He sucked!

For another sucky hero, how about Mr. Miracle and his wife Big Barda? DC is rife with really bad characters, good or evil.

thespar
01-16-2004, 10:47 PM
Hear is one for your list form are friends at hasbro what cobra commander and most of the other cobras.

Eternal Padawan
01-17-2004, 03:02 PM
Hear is one for your list form are friends at hasbro what cobra commander and most of the other cobras.

Whoa. What? It's like...a voice...A voice from the past....

jjreason
01-19-2004, 05:53 PM
The GIJoe villains tend to be pretty good, but what's up with those costumes? Dr. Mindbender or Dr. Freddy Mercury - you be the judge.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-19-2004, 07:50 PM
As far as Star Wars goes:

Prince Xizor seems just dumb. Something about him, he looks like he belongs somewhere else, like in Aladdin or something. Don't know why.

Grand Admiral Thrawn. Same thing here.

The Yuuzhan Vong! Man these guys just suck. They ruined everything, and looked like a Power Rangers character.

mabudonicus
01-20-2004, 12:02 AM
Yess, good call mrjabba......
Pretty much all of the Fuller Universe of SW bad guys suffer from the "weird and cool" sorta syndrome (like venom and the like marvel-wise)

PUNISHER started as a sorta lame spidey villain

Orka the human killer whale is fun...
RED SHIFT, herald of galactus, SO LAME, the big G was really reaching with that guy :D

The Terrible Tinkerer was about as DC grade a villain as Marvel ever produced...

The Living Brain was prety silly

Arnem Zola was totally off the hook (old cap villain, so politically incorrect he almost can't be discussed here:), had no head and his face was in his chest, real nutty lookin)

I'll be back, gotta dredge deeper for the real nuggets, good list so far!!

El Chuxter
01-20-2004, 11:07 AM

Hold up a second. I can see using the word "lame" for doodooheads like Raptor or Voltar or the Crimson Twins or Croc Master or Crystal Ball or Big Boa or especially that turd Serpentor, who sucks too hard to even use the SSG cliche "amazing pig terd." And a lot of their troops suck, too. Why do they need specialized urban commandos, even if the Alley Vipers are some of the only Vipers with cool costumes?

But most of the Cobras? What's not to like about Firefly, Destro, Zartan, Zarana, Major Bludd, Storm Shadow, the Red Ninjas, BATs, Copperhead, Wild Weasel, Baroness, Road Pig, Metal Head, etc? Ninjas and biker punks and mercs and unscrupulous arms dealers, oh my! Even Mindbender is pretty nasty when you get past his rather silly origin story (an orthodontist experimenting with mind control?) and poor taste in duds.

And Cobra Commander, lame? What's lame about a deranged used car salesman who starts up a terrorist organization and within a few short years is not only Public Enemy #1 but always within inches of world domination? Dude, if Marvel hadn't disavowed such obvious clues that the Joes and Transformers existed within the Marvel universe (Spider-Man guest shots are a pretty hard thing to ignore, Marvel! :mad: ), Cobra could've taken Latveria in minutes and Cobra Commander would keep Dr Doom alive as his jester!

But whoever mentioned the SW EU is right on. Aside from Thrawn and a few others, they all suck hard. Waru, anyone?

thespar
01-20-2004, 11:08 PM
About Cobra Commander being lame I was talking about him cartoons the comic one was pretty cool. The only cobra l real liked are Destro and Storm Shadow.

Eternal Padawan
01-21-2004, 07:15 PM
Heh. The lame Quadrilogy ( also known as the Wrecking Crew) showed up in Avengers last month. Where's Scourge when you need him?

dr_evazan22
01-22-2004, 12:51 AM
Speaking of needing to be Scourged - Slyde just made another appearance in SM Unlimited. And what was with the 'Human Interest' story? I liked it best when they did it the first time back in ASM, like 248 or so, "The Kid Who Collects SM'.

billfremore
01-22-2004, 04:48 PM
just put all of Alpha Flight on the list. And from DC The Creeper.

Whoa there. Speaking as one of the dozen or so people who own every issue of Alpha Flight gotta take issue with you bashing them.

I think they were sorely underused and had some very cool characters.
Granted they were written very poorly after issue #70 but still! :)

Although I will admit the "supposed arch-nemesis" of Alpha Flight, The Master of the World, completely lame.

Eternal Padawan
01-23-2004, 07:53 PM
Kang. Yeah, I know, he's like an A-list Avengers villain...but let's break it down shall we? First off, the name. Kang. like I slammed the lid on an old fashioned steel garbage can. Second, the costume. Purple thigh high stocking boots? over a pea green jumpsuit? And whats with the mask? With the lines down over the eyes? What purpose does that serve? And when he time travels, he uses equally lame disguises, like the whole Egyptian Ra thing ( I forgot the name he used) But since everybody knows its him why bother? And finally, he's from the far flung future right? So couldn't he just open a history book and see the futility of his super villainness? "oop. Got my butt handed to me by the Avengers right there. oh ho. Got spanked AGAIN by the Avengers. And look. My getting another sound smack down by the Avengers..."

mabudonicus
01-24-2004, 09:54 AM
Okay.... if chux can do it so can I...

That's ENOUGH talkin' smack about the Cross Time Tyrant.... Kang RULES!!!

The futility is a pathos device, sorta... the convoluted plots where Kang tries to beat other time-spawned duplicates of himself are right funny, it's sorta Marvel's way of pointing out the silliness of time-travel plots, as they almost always make use of some of the problems such things present, y'know, paradox and stuff...

I like Kang a lot, and he's nowhere near lame as the Bi Beast or the Porcupine or Leapfrog, who, on fact, ARE LAME.... get back to picking on Arcade, why don't ya;)??

El Chuxter
12-28-2006, 01:03 PM
How about The Blob?

True, he has a pretty cool power. I suppose. If there's ever a mandatory evacuation and he doesn't want to leave, no one can make him. :rolleyes:

But worst is that name. How many overweight people have you known who like being called Blob, or, worse, call themselves Blob?

And if the Juggernaut, who cannot be stopped, runs into the Blob, who cannot be moved, what happens?

Dark Marble
01-17-2007, 05:17 PM
I just found this topic and could not help but think of a couple. What sticks out in my mind is Grod. I saw him in a Flash comic and thought a talking Gorilla...pretty weeny.

Also for any hard core Transformers comic readers from back in the day, Unicron's flunkies Hook, Line, and Sinker were pretty lame too.

El Chuxter
01-17-2007, 05:32 PM
The names and gimmicks were certainly lame. They didn't do enough for me to consider them truly "lame," though. More "obvious disposable filler." :p

El Chuxter
02-09-2007, 12:04 PM
The only reason Bats has great villains is because he has so many. For every great foe, he's got twelve bad ones. True, there's Joker, Riddler, Penguin, Two-Face. . . but I refer you also to Puzzler, Egghead, Tweedledee and Tweedledum, Catman, Gentleman Ghost, Calendar Man, Crazy Quilt, Blockbuster (though they've made him decent in Nightwing), Riddler, Louie the Lilac, the Mime, Magpie. . . .

Jeez, I thought the list I came up with was bad, but check the roster of villains from the 60s TV show:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_%28TV%29:_Guest_appearances_and_episodes

Zsa Zsa Gabor? Cornelius the Ape as Bookworm? Zsa Zsa Gabor?

Unfortunately, I saw the Chandell/Harry episodes once, and they're forever burned in my memory. Half the time Liberace's basically playing himself, and the other half the time, he's pretending to be a mobster. It's painful to watch. I think, regardless of sexuality, everyone can agree that Liberace was some sort of supernatural level of flaming that totally transcended any form of preference or gender identification.

And who would win in a fight, Louie the Lilac or Lady Penelope Peasoup? I think I'd rather read Civil War: The Deluxe Expanded Edition in Fifteen Hardcover Volumes.