PDA

View Full Version : National DO NOT CALL LIST is here!!!!!(Merged)

Exhaust Port
06-27-2003, 01:04 PM
Now we can finally stop those unsolicited calls for good. Here's the website address.

http://donotcall.gov

I haven't been able to get through. It seems that a lot of people are logging on to add their number to the list. This could very well make the telemarketing industry a thing of the past. I won't shed a tear, that's for sure.

Deoxyribonucleic
06-27-2003, 01:27 PM
THANKS for that Mr. Port!!

I'm trying to get on right now too, to no avail at the moment, but I'll keep trying for sure!!

LTBasker
06-27-2003, 01:51 PM
Aaaand how many spam mails do you think we're gonna start getting about using this? ;)

Exhaust Port
06-28-2003, 02:16 AM
I still haven't gotten on. I heard a report on the radio today saying their website was getting 100 hits per second. And the telemarketers think their service is appriciated?

Exhaust Port
06-28-2003, 02:20 AM
Scratch that. I just tried it again and was able to register my phone number. I guess all I have to do now is wait for October 1st to show up.

On this topic, if you read the rules of the no call list it says that a company violating the rules can be fined $11,000 for doing so. A better rule would be forcing them to pay each person they call a couple thousand $$. "Would you like a subscription to Field and Stream?" "No, but I would like my $2000 in $100 bills please. Thank you, call again."

Kidhuman
06-28-2003, 10:28 AM
On this topic, if you read the rules of the no call list it says that a company violating the rules can be fined $11,000 for doing so. A better rule would be forcing them to pay each person they call a couple thousand $$. "Would you like a subscription to Field and Stream?" "No, but I would like my $2000 in $100 bills please. Thank you, call again."

I agree, if they violate the rule they should have to pay us. 2 grand would fit nice in my pockets. I have added myself to the list as well.

scruffziller
06-28-2003, 10:30 AM
I am so glad I got out of that industry when I did.

mabudonicus
06-28-2003, 11:23 AM
Hey ExP- telemarketers don't think it's appreciated, so much, as they appreciate being able to pay rent and stuff, I know lots of em... oh, and not that it makes it right, but it ain't all the telemarketer's fault...

Oh, and read the fine print- the loopholes which make it so if you've called and inquired about something in a certain time frame, or if you've done business with a company also in some frame, you're fair game.. especially think of "air miles" and "reward clubs" and stuff.... every time you get some "points", you're doing business with MANY businesses... that loophole is gonna tick lots of folks off royally- just wanted to point it out, I think it should be an offense for a company to call anyone unsolicited about anything....... just imagine if there was a way to "hydromarket", where sometimes you turn on your tap and a sample of some new product comes out with a coupon attached, instead of water....

Exhaust Port
06-28-2003, 12:05 PM
I'm sure mabudon that your friends will find jobs if the industry should disappear. It's not a high skilled job requring specialized training so it's pretty easy to find a replaceable job. Of course, being that you are in Canada this new No Call List doesn't impact your friends business anyway.

Exhaust Port
06-28-2003, 12:08 PM
Oh, and read the fine print- the loopholes which make it so if you've called and inquired about something in a certain time frame, or if you've done business with a company also in some frame, you're fair game..

Reading through the rules it seems that even though a product or service is exempt from the NCL that professional telemarketing companies still are. This means, unless the bank wants to call you themselves they can't pay someone else to do so. I'm sure this will eliminate most if not all calls of this sort. Heck I'm sick of getting the usual 4 calls a day. Anything less is better.

Deoxyribonucleic
06-28-2003, 02:18 PM
Added my numbers to the list now too!

thanks again for the info ExhaustPort!

I have to add, that the BIGGEST complaint I have now about telemarketing is that ALOT of it is automated and when you answer the phone, sometimes for about 10 -15 seconds or more even, there's no answer while the stupid automated machine gets itself ready to spew its message...that REALLY irks me and of course I've gotten up and gone to the phone for NO reason!

I hope they do away with ALL telemarketeing companies (no offense to your friends Mabudon :) ) I just think it really IS an invasion of MY privacy as I did NOT ask them to call me and did NOT personally give them my phone number like I would to a friend or to my work.

Not ONCE have I ever boughten ANYTHING from these calls, EVER!! They hold absolutely NO value in this society!

Ok, my rant is done, sorry all LOL

;)

Exhaust Port
06-28-2003, 02:53 PM
I'm glad I've helped at least a few people find this resource DNA. :)

It'll be interesting to start seeing some statistics on the number and frequency of people registering their phone numbers.

Deoxyribonucleic
06-28-2003, 03:17 PM
I'm glad I've helped at least a few people find this resource DNA. :)

It'll be interesting to start seeing some statistics on the number and frequency of people registering their phone numbers.

Great idea! I'll definitely try keeping track, because as you mentioned above about your 4 calls a day, we average about 3 calls a day on one number and about 3 a week on another....either is 3 a day or 3 a week TOO MANY for me!! ;)

Kidhuman
06-28-2003, 03:42 PM
I have to add, that the BIGGEST complaint I have now about telemarketing is that ALOT of it is automated and when you answer the phone, sometimes for about 10 -15 seconds or more even, there's no answer while the stupid automated machine gets itself ready to spew its message...that REALLY irks me and of course I've gotten up and gone to the phone for NO reason!

The one thing I like to do is when that 5 second moment of silence comes on, is to wait until I hear that voice and then hang up. I find it highly annoying to pick up a phone and am told to wait for an important message. If it was that important, a person would have been on the other end of that phone call.

Exhaust Port
06-28-2003, 11:41 PM
I see on the FTC website that they had almost 750,000 registered numbers by 5:00 pm on the day the website opened. Wow, that's a lot of people!

Kidhuman
06-29-2003, 12:49 AM
Cant blame them though. If they are like me I am tired of being harassed at dinner time with would you like to sign up for AOL.

mabudonicus
06-29-2003, 10:55 AM
First, I am hard to offend, no worries to anyone:)!!

Y'see, most Telemarketing businesses here do NOT call Canada... it's cheaper to pay us to do the same job, good ol free trade;) and we speak english which is a boon.... one of my best friends is calling the States for Columbia House RIGHT NOW, but they only call people that have had SOME actual business with them, so they're exempt, so far as I understand... I guess if my buddy goes to work tomorrow, we'll know the answer to that...
And ExP, the town I live in is pretty much the Flint, MI of "roger and me", if telemarketing goes under, we're looking at economic insolvency in this region (woulda happened already if not for the Tele boom).. think of how much the "economy" is artificially buoyed (whatever:)) by such jobs..... I HATE telemarketing with a passion, but the "industry" was filling a more important gap than many realize, methinks....
Holy Smoke, that could be judged as political... there goes my REPUTATION!!!!!!
Anyways, just responding here, PLEASE don't read this post with an "ANGRY VOICE", cos that's not what it is:):)

Exhaust Port
06-29-2003, 11:21 AM
Perhaps if the telemarketing thing folds your town could become the Spam Epicenter. :) If you can't get to the public over the phone, hit them through the computer.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-29-2003, 10:52 PM
It's nice to know that a national list has been established. The people who really need to sign up for that are the seniors who are so easily swayed by the con men that telemarketers often employ. (BTW, I am not making a blanket generalization of the industry when I say that). The same thing goes with spam and E-mail. I heard some strange report that the time spent deleting and reading junk mail is equivalent to a couple of billion dollars in lost productivity annually.

And while I am glad that the government has established this, it is time they focus on the bigger problems at hand such as health care and foreign entanglements.

2-1B
06-30-2003, 01:53 AM
For me, the only thing worse than the auto-dialer which takes forever to connect me :rolleyes: is that HORRIBLE Rodney Dangerfield impression call I get about every two weeks . . . heck, I can't even remember what they are selling because I always hang up when I hear:
"HEY THIS IS RODNEY . . . "
click. :D

I messed around with a Discover card caller a few days ago, I just couldn't resist. I asked how he got my number and he couldn't really tell me. So I asked how much they paid for my number because I would rather sell it and pocket the money for myself. I guess I was trying to gauge fair market value. :)

RooJay
06-30-2003, 05:44 PM
I really wish they'd do something like this with e-mail also! I get a ton of spam, and I'd say easily sixty percent of it doesn't even have any kind of link to where I can unsubscribe or remove my e-mail from their lists! A lot of it is even the exact same crap I've already been sent over and over under different (apparently randomly generated) e-mail addresses! I honestly do not understand how it is possible for anybody to be able to contact me in any way in order to try and sell me something without my express permission to do so.

Exhaust Port
07-14-2003, 02:32 AM
Hot on the heels of the National Do Not Call list registration becoming active I received a telemarketing call from my alumni college the other day. Oh why couldn't the NDNC list be active already? Anyway, I thought that I knew what the call was all about and was getting ready to politely say no and hangup but the line of questioning wasn't at all about money but about the status of the school and program that I graduated from. He had questions regarding my experience there and how I felt about my education in the years since I left. I was intrigued so I grabbed a seat and starting answering his questions.

After about 3-5 minutes of the Q&A the topic turned to towards me helping out the program, specifically with money. Since we were on the topic of my impressions of the school before, during and after my tenure there I let him know flat out why I wasn't going to be giving them any of my money. I've had some issues recently with the school (specifically the leadership in the program I graduated from) so I'm not real keen on giving them anything other than the middle finger. This student calling me really didn't need to hear the full reason why I'm not interested so he got the 30 second summary and I attempted to wrap it up with the "I'm not interested in helping" speech. Well this blabber mouth wouldn't shut up enough for me to not only give my reason for not giving but I also couldn't tell him I'm not interested in continuing this conversation. I tried but I counldn't get a word towards the end (he was trying to convince me I was wrong or something) so I just hung up.

15 seconds later he calls back! The same guy! I pick up, he's still blabbering on so I hang up again without saying a word.

15 seconds later he calls back AGAIN!!! This time I'm pretty ticked off that this is going on. So I tell him to shut up and give me his supervisor. No supervisor. Give me someone who's running the show while he's working. No one's in charge. Give me someone, anyone else. He can't do that. Now he's still blabbering on about why I should be forking over $xxxx because how great everything is there and because I make so much money. What? This guy really started **** me off at this point. Who does he think he is estimating my ability to help him by what he thinks I make a year? Man, I couldn't even put my frustration into words.

At this point it starting turning into a shouting match and I'm pretty fuzzy what was said on either end. Since I couldn't talk to anyone else on his end I asked him for a number that I could call the next day so I could talk to someone in charge. We'll he started dodging the request until I remembered something.....I have caller ID and their number shows up on the box. I then informed him that I would be calling back xxx-xxx-xxxx the next day. That shut him up real quick. All he had to say was "Um Ok" and then we both hung up.

I called the next day but no one answered that line so I bounced around the University switch board until I got some Director of ?????? where I explained the whole situation and that I wished to be removed from any future call list. He was nice enough about the situation, apologized for the difficulty experienced with the caller and said he was going to look into it. Based on the time of the call and the fact that the caller had a very thick foreign accent he knew who the worker was and said that they had an ISSUE with him reported about 30 minutes prior to my episode. It seems their little talk hadn't worked.

It blows my mind that he felt calling me back TWICE was an option. Boy they thought I wasn't a good donor before that call? They can write me off for the next few decades now.

jjreason
07-14-2003, 03:08 AM
I think you should follow up with it. Obviously that caller needs to be relieved of his duties - crack addiction never makes for nice conversation.

JJR

mabudonicus
07-14-2003, 08:54 AM
NICE... that's persistence!!!
The title of this thread had me hoping for some encounter right outta Lovecraft, though :(
Don't you wish you had "caller destroy" on your phone??? THAT would be the best way to deal with such outlandish audacity as was heaped upon you by the "representative"... If it's okay to use essentially harmless shocks to keep cows in line, why not telemarketers??? There could be a rule, that you had to say "I'm not interested" then count to 3, at which point the use of electrical force would be authorized

Exhaust Port
07-14-2003, 11:31 AM
I probably should follow it up. Last thing I would want to happen is for the supervisor to just give another Talk to the errant worker rather than fix the problem by kicking his sorry butt to the street.

Mabudon, I think the shocker is a great idea. I would probably count down way too quick though. Rather than the 3....2.....1.....ZAP I would give them the 321ZAP! :)

derek
07-14-2003, 06:06 PM
funny thing is that non profit groups like charities and universities are exempt from the "do not call" list...........so you'll probably hear from them this time next year!!! :D

Exhaust Port
07-14-2003, 06:11 PM
Well not my University as I've asked to be put on their do not call list which they have to honor even under the current laws. As for other charities, that's fine as I can't think of a single one calling me in the last year.

stillakid
07-14-2003, 06:42 PM
http://www.tommabe.com

Exhaust Port
07-14-2003, 07:15 PM
I like the Telemarketer Facts on their website.

RooJay
07-14-2003, 08:44 PM
I'm sure that if you had read the phone number from your caller ID back to the guy, then added with as much conviction as you could muster "If you call back again I will find you and I will kill you," he probably would have gotten the idea. ;)

Exhaust Port
07-14-2003, 08:52 PM
Oh, that would have been sweet. I'll have to remember that one. :D

stillakid
07-14-2003, 09:02 PM
I'm sure that if you had read the phone number from your caller ID back to the guy, then added with as much conviction as you could muster "If you call back again I will find you and I will kill you," he probably would have gotten the idea. ;)

Um, except that don't they record some of these conversations "for quality control" and that it is a Federal offense to make a death threat over the phone lines?

Darth Jax
07-14-2003, 09:20 PM
when the no call list went active in colorado last year, some telemarketing firm sued. so everyone got an unsolicited call (which some ignored thanks to caller id) confirming they wished to be on the no-call list. see if that happens again.

RooJay
07-14-2003, 10:27 PM
Um, except that don't they record some of these conversations "for quality control" and that it is a Federal offense to make a death threat over the phone lines?

For the sake of my post and the humor intended therein that just doesn't factor in.

stillakid
07-14-2003, 11:12 PM
For the sake of my post and the humor intended therein that just doesn't factor in.

Perhaps I should have used EP's post in quotes instead. :sur:

Exhaust Port
07-15-2003, 09:21 AM
Hey I used a :D . Don't group me in with his DEATH CULT.

;)

mabudonicus
07-15-2003, 10:18 AM
Lately it seems the companies responsible are getting a bit nervous... I have gotten (sorry) plenty of those "Hello, Mr Allan??" calls (NOT my name!), so next I say "No such person" and wait... people have actually adopted a sort of smugness at this point, like I'm joking, or mebbe don't really know who I am, which cracks me up... usually they'll take it in stride, and say, "well, could we speak to the head of the household?".... I reply "What is this concerning??"....
The trick with these is that the "agency" responsible does a soft "travel survey" call.. I tried to give a bunch of useless answers, but no matter what you say, if you actually answer any question, you will recieve 10-20 calls over the next 2 weeks, and they actually try it again a week or 2 later....
Nowadays, I will actually get on the offensive and say "this isn't what it seems like, is it??" or something... the person on the other end invariably knows the nature of the scam, and listening to them squirm as I ask more and more pointed questions is pretty funny....

Oh, and funny story on a similar note... there is municipal legislation working it's way across Canada which will effectively ban almost all chemicals from use in urban settings, which means "Chem Lawn" and all the other tankers full of poison will be driven out of business (I THINK it's on in Toronto already, still waiting to be passed here,)..
ANYWAYS, my buddy (ironically a telemarketer himself, currently laid off, for real ;)) was watching his parents house whilst they were away, with no vehicles in the driveway, I guess it made the hit list of a company called "The Weed Man".... He recieved a message on the answering machine which stated that "weed Man" was coming on a given day, completely unsolicited, remember, and that they were going to spray the lawn and then charge for the service, and that if the "weed Man"s services weren't required, some kind of note had to be left in the front door.... I couldn't BELIEVE this one, but my friend wouldn't make such a ridiculous story up.... he is kinda slack, and a fairly typical "Canadian", so all he did was actually put a sign up...
now THAT's a scam!!!! That MUST be illegal almost everywheres, methinks...

Deoxyribonucleic
07-15-2003, 12:04 PM
Mabudon, just reading that "weed crappola" makes me seethe with anger!!! :mad:

Well, I put both of my numbers down on the list and then later my Mom comes home and she had done the same LOL so maybe they'll really get the picture...not that's it's working yet (I don't really know) but we haven't gotten any calls in about 2 weeks??? And usually we get at least one a day about! :rolleyes:

I like hanging up on them, I know it's not "their" fault, it's just a job, BUT, they certainly didn't have to take that job, so I feel no remorse when I hang up on them, plus it gets out any frustrations I was feeling during the day ;)

The Overlord Returns
07-15-2003, 12:16 PM
lets see........

10 + dollars an hour working as a telemarketer.....

6.85 dollars an hour working at McDonalds.....

They didn't have to take the telemarketing job?

Technically yes......however, for a lot of young people, and immigrants, jobs on the phones are the only option.....unless you would prefer they sweat and slave in a mcdonalds kitched for 6.85 an hour (canadian minimum wage) to try and either pay for school or support a newly arrived family......

Telemarketing companies are the wankers....these people who make the calls are just trying to make a living.

Porcelina
07-15-2003, 12:25 PM
I like hanging up on them, I know it's not "their" fault, it's just a job, BUT, they certainly didn't have to take that job, so I feel no remorse when I hang up on them, plus it gets out any frustrations I was feeling during the day ;)

well.... i must say, i've been a telemarketer many times... it has helped me save for school, travel to england, pay rent, etc, when my waitressing/acting gigs weren't cutting it..... i hate the job itself, but the money's better than working at mcdonalds or starbucks..... and i think virtually eliminating an entire industry in one swipe can't be good for a lot of innocent workers..

and, i'll tell you what i used to do to people.... if people were NICE and KINDLY asked me to remove them from call lists, or said they weren't interested, i absolutely listened to them and removed them... however, if some d*ckwad hung up on me while i was talking, or yelled "TAKE ME OFF!" and hung up, well, guess what i did? i put him on the call back later list (which usually meant i wouldn't have to call him, some other person would)

i don't care what job people are doing, there is absolutely no need to be rude to another human being and i think you should seriously consider that these people are working hard trying to make a living and support families.. there are two jobs i feel everyone should have to do at some point just so they know what it's like... serving and telemarketing..... you'll never hang up on the latter or undertip the former again, trust me

~

Deoxyribonucleic
07-15-2003, 12:27 PM
Telemarketing companies are the wankers....these people who make the calls are just trying to make a living.

I respectfully disagree! ;) :)

Besides, most of the telemarketers I hear on the end of my line are not "young people!"

On a side note, I had to support myself through college, and not once did I work at McDonald's (or anything like it) or as a telemarketer.

;)

The Overlord Returns
07-15-2003, 12:35 PM
I respectfully disagree! ;) :)

Besides, most of the telemarketers I hear on the end of my line are not "young people!"

On a side note, I had to support myself through college, and not once did I work at McDonald's (or anything like it) or as a telemarketer.

;)

Ah...so everyone is lesser because you were able to do it a different way?

Perhaps if you were to tell us what this glory job was, those who are trolling along the bottom at mcdonalds and verizon wireless sales offices can go out and flood the particular position that got you through college.

Telemarketing may be a bit different in the states, and I'm not saying that every telemarketer is young. I also pointed out that they may have families to support. When i worked in TM jobs, there were several employees there who had a second job as well.......

Deoxyribonucleic
07-15-2003, 12:39 PM
i don't care what job people are doing, there is absolutely no need to be rude to another human being and i think you should seriously consider that these people are working hard trying to make a living and support families.. there are two jobs i feel everyone should have to do at some point just so they know what it's like... serving and telemarketing..... you'll never hang up on the latter or undertip the former again, trust me

~

Uhuhhhhh, well, let's just look at it from this point of view...I did NOT ask you or any other person to call my UNLISTED phone number for your products! To me, it is an invasion of my privacy. It would be different if I gave you or your company my number or information, but I did no such thing, therefore, if I feel like hanging up, it is my right! And lets talk about being rude here, how about those telemarketers who are rude...which in my experience is a great many of them. It goes both ways! I say "I'm not interested" and hang up, HOW is that rude when I in no way have insulted or raised my voice at these people???

And again, as I mentioned above, I, like millions of other people, paid my way through college and never once worked at McDonald's OR as a telemarketer. If you are going to choose that job, then you must deal with it! Not me.

I can't stress enough, I did not ask you (a general "you") to call me, and I've done all that I can to make my number unavailable, showing that I am interested in my privacy!

I mean no disrespect to you, but just because you choose that job, does not mean I have to put up with it, that's my opinion and it's not a changin'!!

:)

Deoxyribonucleic
07-15-2003, 12:42 PM
Ah...so everyone is lesser because you were able to do it a different way?

yeah, that's exactly what my post said
:rolleyes:

you have your opinion I have mine, I hope we can just leave it at that, like I said to you and porcelina, I mean no disrespect to anyone, but I'm allowed my opinion, which I know many people feel the same way, as you are allowed yours and nothing either of us say will change our opinions so perhaps we can just agree to disagree and move on. :)

The Overlord Returns
07-15-2003, 12:47 PM
yeah, that's exactly what my post said
:rolleyes:

It is essentially what was implied. YOU didn't have to do it...so any one that did have to take one of these jobs did something wrong. At least, that's what I got from the comment. Not saying I couldn;t be wrong.

What was this job that got you through college? Waiting tables? Secretarial work? Factory job? exotic dancing (another job that the moral masses give a bum rap too...)

Were you making more than minimum wage?

I'm not trying to get into a fight with you....but look at the current unemployment rate in your country....do you have any idea how quickly that would spike if every telemarketer suddenly found themselves out of a job?

Exhaust Port
07-15-2003, 01:24 PM
I think it boils down to the fact that if you take a telemarketing job you are knowingly taking a position that isn't well liked and don't be suprised if people get ticked at you. Fine, you need the job so you take it but just because it's your job doesn't mean we have to like it.

The argument that telemarketing jobs are justified because they pay more than the average low skill job is not very good. I think we've all been at that point in persons life when you don't any credentials and need a source income. We look for a low skill job. Myself and no one else I know has ever needed the $10/hr that a telemarketing job provided.

I don't know how you can say that people can't get by without the existance of the telemarketing income. The jobs are out there, just some people don't look. And I don't know why your coming down on DNA there TOR just because she didn't have to work as a telemarketer. It's not some sort of rite of passage that someone must pass through to understand the issues of being a low income family/person.

Yeah, the unemployement rate is up but do you know what demographic that a majority of those folks fall in? Skilled jobs, not the low skill jobs that you're so up in arms about. Low skill job applicants are the least affected demographic and are the easiest to correct because....well, they base their future job on no skill. The jobs are dime a dozen and are created with nearly no cost to an employeer. Tough times like these hit the skilled workers hardest as their jobs have a high cost associated with their creation.

I found plenty of low skill jobs in the last recession in the early 90's. But I looked where as a lot of my complaining friends and aquaintences just sat around and moaned because they couldn't get a job where they wanted. At that time minimum was $4.15 US and I lived off that for almost 3 years while in school.

I'm also not concerned about the unemployment rate if we lose all telemarketers. We have industries nationwide that are laying off 10,000's of employees every quarter. How many telemarketing firms would have to fold to equal one quarterly layoff in the aerospace industry? Probably darn near every one.

The Overlord Returns
07-15-2003, 01:51 PM
I think it boils down to the fact that if you take a telemarketing job you are knowingly taking a position that isn't well liked and don't be suprised if people get ticked at you. Fine, you need the job so you take it but just because it's your job doesn't mean we have to like it.

Not saying you have to like it...all I am saying is there's no need to villify the person on the other end....they are just trying to make a living....

The argument that telemarketing jobs are justified because they pay more than the average low skill job is not very good.

Tell that to the single mom who can make more telemarketing than working in the kitchen at mcdonalds.

I think we've all been at that point in persons life when you don't any credentials and need a source income. We look for a low skill job. Myself and no one else I know has ever needed the $10/hr that a telemarketing job provided.

Well, as a person who was living on his own in a major urban centre since the age of 17, I can tell you i would never have survived working for 5 bucks an hour, and was damn glad for the telemarketing jobs that would pay me a decent wage.

I don't know how you can say that people can't get by without the existance of the telemarketing income.

The bottom line is it is a very easy job to get into, it caters to those in society who need a job fast to make money.

And I don't know why your coming down on DNA there TOR just because she didn't have to work as a telemarketer. It's not some sort of rite of passage that someone must pass through to understand the issues of being a low income family/person.

I didn't come down on her. I never said everyone should try the job. What she seemed to be saying to me is that she did the right thing by not working a tm or fast food job. However, I would suggest that there are some fields out there that people would respect a lot more if they did them for a while. A friend of mine constantly complained about tipping servers.........said he shouldn't feel obligated to do so. He is now a server....and completely sees the error of his ways......

I'm also not concerned about the unemployment rate if we lose all telemarketers. We have industries nationwide that are laying off 10,000's of employees every quarter. How many telemarketing firms would have to fold to equal one quarterly layoff in the aerospace industry? Probably darn near every one.

Well...apparently there are 1.2 million currently employed as telemarketers. You are telling me that the loss of those jobs wouldn;t hurt your economy, and further cripple your employment rate?

Exhaust Port
07-15-2003, 02:43 PM
Not saying you have to like it...all I am saying is there's no need to villify the person on the other end....they are just trying to make a living....

Any just because someone happens to use income from a profession that no one likes as a means of support doesn't mean I have to like it any more. The hookers, crack dealers, mob families, etc.... can all say the same thing.

Tell that to the single mom who can make more telemarketing than working in the kitchen at mcdonalds.

Unless you're a single mom I find this a poor point to make. There are several single mom's in my extended family and they all have skilled jobs either they had before or earned training after giving birth. Being a single mom doesn't equate one's need for a slightly higher than minimum wage. No matter what sob story you come up with, you justify one's job by how they spend/need their money.

Well, as a person who was living on his own in a major urban centre since the age of 17, I can tell you i would never have survived working for 5 bucks an hour, and was damn glad for the telemarketing jobs that would pay me a decent wage.

And I had a job working in warehouse because I didn't care to make minimum wage any more. What's your point? I don't have to like a job that interupts my day because that person makes a living doing it.

said he shouldn't feel obligated to do so. He is now a server....and completely sees the error of his ways......

And I've worked most of my life in a service industry and tip less because I see that most workers ASSUME they'll get a tip. A tip is earned, not a requirement. So what's your point again? Calling people I don't know at home at odd hours wouldn't be more excepted if I was the one doing the calling. I don't need to walk in the shoes of every worker to know what I do and don't like.

And since telemarketers are considered a Service Industry, then why don't I every here Please? Thank You? Excuse me? Or Sorry for bothering you? Now all I get is an autodialer that eventually someone will pick up on the other end, who mispronounces my name and doesn't take no for an answer. How successful or popular would a resturant be if the waiters were the same?

"Would you like fries with that?"

"No"

"Are you sure, we're running a really great deal on them?"

"No"

"How about a smaller size?"

"No"

"How about tater tots?"

"No"

"Hash browns?"

"No"

"Home fries?"

"No"

"Do you want fries?"

"Still NO"

"Are you sure?"

"Yes"

"I'm sure we could figure out a payment plan that would work."

"No"

"If you buy the fries you're automatically entered in our drawing for a trip."

"No"

Well...apparently there are 1.2 million currently employed as telemarketers. You are telling me that the loss of those jobs wouldn;t hurt your economy, and further cripple your employment rate?

That would equal less than 1/2 of 1 percent change in the unemployment rate so no I don't think that would cripple our economy. And since it's a low skill job those people could easily find work in other industries. If they are really concerned about their income, then there are plenty of trade schools that they can attend and they can walk away with a Skill. If income is that much of an issue then learn a skill. Without that, then you are subjected to the current market trends.

scruffziller
08-12-2003, 02:28 PM
Telemarketers on the ropesPopular do-not-call list bringing industry to its kneesBy Lance Williams
CINCINNATI BUSINESS COURIERAug. 11 — In the past three months, the hallways at Groesbeck-based Tel-A-Sell Marketing Inc. have become a lot less crowded. CEO Edd O’Connor has been forced to trim his telemarketing staff from 72 to 18.
“I WAS RUNNING a full house earlier this year,” said O’Connor, who also serves as president of the American Teleservices Association’s Great Lakes Chapter, which covers Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky and Michigan.
One of the big reason for the cuts: the chilling effects of the National Do Not Call Registry and other similar efforts in statehouses across the country.
A month into the sign-ups for the federal Do Not Call list, nearly 30 million phone numbers across the United States have been registered for the list. That number could double by the time the list takes effect on Oct. 1.
The ATA, which is challenging the list in court, said the national list could eventually cause more than 2 million lost telemarketing jobs. The ATA estimated that telemarketers are responsible for $660 billion in sales. The combined effects of do-not-call lists and the movement of jobs overseas have left the industry ailing.
“It’s going to cause significant business problems for this industry,” said O’Connor, who said he expects a pickup in business in early fall. “We’ve got to step back and regroup.”
Companies that use telemarketing services are beginning to rethink their marketing strategies and are postponing decisions about renewing contracts with telemarketers.
That’s because most of the laws using no-call lists punish the companies employing the callers, not the telemarketers themselves, O’Connor said. Each violation of the list, which is enforced by the Federal Trade Commission, could cost a company up to $11,000. An endorsement by the Federal Communications Commission earlier this summer has also broadened the powers.
Tel-A-Works, a telephone marketing firm in Reading, began changing its entire focus last summer.
“The handwriting was on the wall,” President Mike Isley said. “We refocused our company to do B2B marketing.”
Isley said he had to replace managers with ones who had more B2B experience but was able to retrain others. The company normally has about 30 “tele-nurturers” on staff, Isley said.
Isley said he still thinks the industry can thrive.
“Every industry has bad people in it,” Isley said. “It’s just a sad thing it had to come down to this.”
Even as companies get more apprehensive, consumers are getting more excited about the lists.
Blue Ash-based GovConnect has no-call registries for four states and said consumer responses are overwhelming.
“It’s usually very large and very immediate,” said Anne Abate, GovConnect’s director of communications.
That level of interest demonstrated a mandate from consumers that many telemarketers were crossing the line, said Ryan Lippe, spokesman with the Ohio Consumers’ Counsel.
“Consumers need to find a way to say ‘no’ to telemarketers and protect their privacy,” Lippe said. “The sheer volume of signups shows how important this legislation was.”
With more than 30 states now adopting no-call lists, O’Connor said the challenge is daunting for telemarketers. He said they must not only ensure that they have up-to-date lists to avoid calling certain households, but the varying rules from state to state also are difficult to track.
“There are some states you just avoid altogether,” O’Connor said. Kentucky, for instance, has some of the strictest penalties for telemarketers. In its first year, Kentucky has added about 800,000 households to its no-call list and garnered more than $500,000 in fines.
The state attorney general’s office said calls complaining about telemarketing have dropped by 90 percent since the law took effect.
In Ohio, Senate Bill 28 is focused on creating a state no-call list that would be enforced by the Ohio attorney general’s office.
The legislation was passed overwhelmingly in the Senate and is expected to be brought before the state House this fall. The bill would create a registry for home, cellular and fax numbers and would authorize the attorney general to seek fines of up to $2,000 for each violation. Lippe said.
O’Connor said many telemarketing companies are abandoning the consumer market, and more companies are starting to target business-to-business customers.
He said telemarketers must adjust or die.
“They’re being left with no choice,” O’Connor said. “That’s what they have to do.”

JediTricks
08-12-2003, 10:47 PM
Haw haw! Telemarketing is one of the stupidest non-industries I've ever seen, its format is so easily adapted to graft and just plain bad business behavior that I'm surprised it took as long as it did to take these measures. Advertising is taking over our very lives, why should these people get to take up our precious time as well? The population explosion is not a reason, this is like the greeter job at Wal Mart, it's a bunko job created out of the need to keep the country employed no matter what. Hell, at least the greeter puts a pleasant face on WM's door and gets people carts and stuff, what the hell does telemarekting do for the consumer except annoy?

IMO, telemarketing is not the heart of "the problem" though, it's the whole advertising industry - it's like they've gone totally stupid and instead of crafting 1 quality advertisement that really sells the product well, they hammer the consumers with dozens of poor-quality ads in the hope that the "scatter technique" works on the public. Like those dumb Tide billboards, those things should rot, since they released the newest campaign I've actively avoided their product. Or Gigli, maybe if the ads had told anybody anything about it, it might not have sunk so quickly.

Once we finish off the telemarketing problem, we need to focus on the junk e-mail problem. That costs the consumer a fortune, help slow down the web, and are even more open to graft.

Exhaust Port
08-12-2003, 11:42 PM
flame bait! :rolleyes:

mabudonicus
08-13-2003, 09:51 AM
Nawwww, no flames here, JT was careful enough with the wording, it's all fact, just presented a tad un-diplomatically :D
I agree entirely.... should be, if a product is good and folks need it, they'll buy it..... the "lists" for telemarketing are really expensive, and the fact that most are so innaccurate (having worked in the field myself) speaks to the "non-industriness" of the whole thing.

I gave a telemarketer the longest run-around EVER the other day...she was calling on behalf of a fairly respectable newspaper (which gets knocked down a few pegs in my book every time they call) and I wouldn't let her go... I answered every question with a question, and even went so far as to say "make me want it" a couple times, only to completely shut down every point she tried to make... the core of my argument was that it was a local Toronto paper and I live in a little tiny no-account town about an hour south which has it's own crummy local paper.... I just kept asking what her paper could do for ME, and called her on it like she was the senior editor or something.... I had a couple buddies in the room cheering me on (one of whom had just gotten off from his TM job:)) it was great.... that's the only part of TM that I'm gonna miss.....
Back to the point (oh, is economic the same as political?) my area will disintegrate when all these places have to close, the town is already pretty much too poor to maintain the infrastructure as it is, once there are no more taxpayers here (since to make enough money to actually top the poverty line most folks will actually have top leave) it'll be all over, so it is a mixed blessing.... no more TM, no more small towns (at least a few are going to suffer real bad up here, specially with the artificial growth brought into some places by the TM expansion boom a couple years ago)

Erase this post if it's too much, I feel better already :D

scruffziller
08-13-2003, 09:58 AM
IMO, telemarketing is not the heart of "the problem" though, it's the whole advertising industry - it's like they've gone totally stupid and instead of crafting 1 quality advertisement that really sells the product.

More like trying to push worthless junk and need to use a craming advertising method such as telemarketing to make it successful. Especially the places I worked at. You are not selling, you are swindling.:crazed:

Jedi Clint
08-13-2003, 02:25 PM
I always take time to answer surveys, but I basically hang up on sales calls.

mabudonicus
08-13-2003, 02:47 PM
Jedi Clint, watch out for surveys, man, in our country at least, the surveys will get you more TM calls down the line... usually "consumer" or "vacation" surveys are the ones that'll get ya...
Just wanted to point that out, just in case...

Jedi Clint
08-13-2003, 04:18 PM
Thanks Mab, I'll watch for that. I haven't had that trouble yet, and I hope it stays that way. Are the consumer or vacation surveys you are familiar with used as leads to sell something later on? I've had someone ask me if I want to go on vacation. I'm like sure, but it isn't gonna happen. I usually end the call shortly there after. Ya know who I have to hang up on the most? Long distance providers. They must be hurting. It couldn't have anything to do with competition from the cell phone industry. Could it? ;)

I used to supervise at a telemarketing firm (surveys only), but I took calls prior to that. It is possible that management wants to respect the people they call, but the phoners don't care. Some of our phoners refused to sound pleasant and respect the person we were calling. That always bothered me. As a result of my experience in the industry, the way I respond to telemarketers who call me depends on how they do their job.

scruffziller
08-14-2003, 12:46 PM
Jedi Clint, watch out for surveys, man, in our country at least, the surveys will get you more TM calls down the line... usually "consumer" or "vacation" surveys are the ones that'll get ya...
Just wanted to point that out, just in case...
That also could be their loophole strategy to try to get you back on their list too. Remember what the exception rules said about doing business with a company in a certain period of time.

Exhaust Port
09-25-2003, 01:14 PM
So it seems some judge has been influenced by the telemarketer lobbiests to stop the DNC list implimentation. 50 Million+ people have said they want it but he blocks it? Looks like Congress is going to overrule him and create a law granding the FCC the authority to create this list.

El Chuxter
09-25-2003, 01:32 PM
Well, even if it's deemed illegal, it looks like simple regard for customer service and satisfaction would make most business agree to stick to the list anyway.

scruffziller
09-25-2003, 01:46 PM
So it seems some judge has been influenced by the telemarketer lobbiests to stop the DNC list implimentation. 50 Million+ people have said they want it but he blocks it? Looks like Congress is going to overrule him and create a law granding the FCC the authority to create this list.
Yea I heard about that this morning. But what about those who are already benefitting from the list?(I have had an almost 100% reduction in calls). Would it be repealed?

Exhaust Port
09-25-2003, 01:52 PM
But what about those who are already benefitting from the list?
The list hasn't gone active yet, October 1st was the launch date but that could see a delay with this new development.

I think it's going to happen at some point but a few people are set on making waves.

JEDIpartner
09-26-2003, 09:22 AM
There have been reports that, should this not go through, the companies that have received our names and numbers will use them for call-outs. :mad: I think they should be made to destroy the electronic lists since that was not the original intent of their assembly.

Exhaust Port
09-26-2003, 09:42 AM
I can only imagine the backlash if that should happen.

scruffziller
09-29-2003, 02:38 PM
I heard that it is going through, but Colorado and another state are fighting to keep calling.

Exhaust Port
09-29-2003, 03:38 PM
I'm suprised that a few holdouts are going to keep calling. You'd think the smart thing to do is wait until the National DNC List is finalized. I'm sure there will be lawsuits to be had if subscribers of the list get calls after October 1st.

Exhaust Port
09-30-2003, 06:36 PM
It seems the latest is that the List will basically go active tomorrow even though its legality is up in the air in the courts. Most telemarketing companies are going to honor the List to stay out of trouble just in case there is a backlash to subscribers that get called. It's not a 100% guarantee that you won't be called because not all telemarketing companies are going to honor the List on the 1st.

At this point, something is better than nothing.

Exhaust Port
10-21-2003, 08:49 PM
Columnist Dave Barry strikes at the heart of a telemarketing company by listing their phone number and asking his readers to call. This is hysterical!!!

Here's Dave's follow up article to his initial column that gave out the number. Poor old telemarketers.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/living/columnists/dave_barry/6934584.htm

Then here is a follow up article about Dave's hijinks. :D

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/business/6740959.htm%20

Dave, my hero!

JediTricks
10-21-2003, 10:25 PM
Haw haw! Anybody know what the phone company's opinion on all this is?

Exhaust Port
10-22-2003, 06:14 PM
They're probably afraid to admit that they will be sad to see the loss of revenue knowing that a majority of the general public hated the calls.

stillakid
10-22-2003, 10:38 PM
Some jacka-- must have gotten ahold of my cell phone number because I'm now getting solicatation calls there! I'm a pretty level-headed guy, but this severely pi--es me off. Getting those calls at home is bad enough, but to try reaching me at work is unconscionable. At home I at least make the attempt to politely refuse before slamming the phone down, but I have no hesitations about tearing the working-poor loser on the other end a new a--hole when they dare call my cel number. Do they really think I'm going to buy anything from them when they dare something like this? :mad: Give me the avenue to sue the bejesus out of the company and the actual tele-caller him/herself and I'd do it in a heartbeat.

scruffziller
10-24-2003, 08:46 AM
Give me the avenue to sue the bejesus out of the company and the actual tele-caller him/herself and I'd do it in a heartbeat.
You can sue the company but you can't sue the telle-caller themselves because they are a representative of the company entity. You could make a declaration to do so but legally you would have no case and your lawyer would tell you so. Unless the tele-caller did something that was outside of the guidelines of the employer, such as being out right vulgar and using offensive language/content. No and the call itself cannot be said to be vulgar and offensive just because they called you........;) ......just messin with ya on that one..........:D

Exhaust Port
10-19-2004, 11:47 AM
What has everyone's experience been with the DNC list? Over the last year my unwanted calls have dropped off to ZERO until now. One of the exceptions to the DNC list is political calls so I've been getting a few autodialers each day with prerecorded messages from some politician. We might be getting more here in Ohio due to us being one of those swing states.

Even with that being said I'm absolutely thrilled with the lack of salesmen calling. :D

Kidhuman
10-19-2004, 08:25 PM
I completely agree, anfd the best part is if they cal you, tell them to take you off the list. If you still get calls report them.

JediTricks
10-20-2004, 06:37 PM
What has everyone's experience been with the DNC list? Over the last year my unwanted calls have dropped off to ZERO until now. One of the exceptions to the DNC list is political calls so I've been getting a few autodialers each day with prerecorded messages from some politician. We might be getting more here in Ohio due to us being one of those swing states.

Even with that being said I'm absolutely thrilled with the lack of salesmen calling. :D
I thought political calls were exempt from the DNC list.

I haven't had many calls since the list kicked in, but I was never one to suffer a lot of those to begin with.

Exhaust Port
10-20-2004, 07:26 PM
I guess I worded that poorly, yes political calls are exempt and were non-existant until the last few months as the elections heat up. No matter, in 2 weeks we'll have another 4 years before we see this much interest in Ohio again.

JediTricks
10-20-2004, 09:10 PM
Oh, gotcha! Not your fault, I misread what you said, you clearly stated "One of the exceptions to the DNC list is political calls..."

scruffziller
10-21-2004, 10:01 AM
It has been rather effective. Very few calls and I tell them to take me off the list. I have spoken to some friends who were in telemarketing after the list went on and they said that the list has actually improved their business. They are able to call people that are more open to phone offers rather than waste the resources on folks who will never listen, thus the ones who have used the list.

Exhaust Port
08-11-2005, 05:08 PM
Man, I just moved to a new house (new to me) and had to change my home phone number. I haven't had the new number for more than 8 days and I'm already getting a call every 3-4 hours. I can't believe that they are that quick with getting updated numbers. Time to register my new number with the DNC List.

Deoxyribonucleic
08-11-2005, 06:03 PM
"JUST A REMINDER... 28 days from today, cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sale calls. YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS... To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone: 888/382-1222. It is the National DO NOT CALL list. It will only take a minute of your time. It blocks your number for five (5) years. PASS THIS ON TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS or www.donotcall.gov"

this was part of an email sent to me around mid July. Forgot about until I saw this thread again. I called it as soon as I saw this email.

Just wanted to pass it on

CaptainSolo1138
08-11-2005, 06:08 PM
How random that this thread should rise form the ashes. Just last nite I recieved a call at home that I've won a trip for two to Las Vegas or something or other. After rudely telling the woman on the other end where to shove her trip and hanging up on her, I realized that I've been on this list for years. Is there some sort of statute of limitations on it? I was so mad at myself when I hung up for not getting the companies name. I would have been going to Vegas after I sued their worthless @sses.

JediTricks
08-11-2005, 06:50 PM
"JUST A REMINDER... 28 days from today, cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sale calls. YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS... To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone: 888/382-1222. It is the National DO NOT CALL list. It will only take a minute of your time. It blocks your number for five (5) years. PASS THIS ON TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS or www.donotcall.gov"

this was part of an email sent to me around mid July. Forgot about until I saw this thread again. I called it as soon as I saw this email.

Just wanted to pass it on

It's a hoax, I just checked google and among the results was this link: http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_cell_phone_directory.htm

I did however verify on the government's website (linked to from the first post in this thread) that I registered my home and cell numbers 2 years ago almost to the day.

Deoxyribonucleic
08-12-2005, 11:51 AM
It's a hoax, I just checked google and among the results was this link: http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_cell_phone_directory.htm

I did however verify on the government's website (linked to from the first post in this thread) that I registered my home and cell numbers 2 years ago almost to the day.

no dude it's not a hoax! It's directly connected with the website...call and you'll see.

El Chuxter
08-12-2005, 12:09 PM
no dude it's not a hoax! It's directly connected with the website...call and you'll see.

:ninja: is a hoax, but :beard: is not.

JediTricks
08-14-2005, 03:37 PM
no dude it's not a hoax! It's directly connected with the website...call and you'll see.I know the number isn't a hoax, it's on the gov't website, I meant that the part about the cellphone list being given to telemarketers, that was the hoax.

Deoxyribonucleic
08-14-2005, 03:45 PM
I know the number isn't a hoax, it's on the gov't website, I meant that the part about the cellphone list being given to telemarketers, that was the hoax.

hehe, yeah I got that now LOL

still, if it ever happens, which I wouldn't be surprised if it did, I'm READY like Spongebob :thumbsup:

JediTricks
08-14-2005, 04:53 PM
Yooooooouuuuuuu'rrrre Reaaaaaddddddyyyy!!!!!

;)

Tycho
03-28-2007, 07:12 PM
I just got a call from Las Vegas something or other. I have the number on my caller-ID.

Maybe a year ago I re-registered my new number and re-registered my Cell number with the Do Not Call registry.

How long should that be good for?

Are there national and state ones? Has anyone else registered before and now suddenly gotten a sales call?

Did the government revoke the registries in the name of their campaign contributors? :rolleyes:

mtriv73
03-28-2007, 07:58 PM
Wow, I never thought about having to renew it.

We've been getting a bunch of calls from 1-800 and 1-866 numbers lately. Some of them were my alma mater calling and begging for money (I think I gave enough while I was there thank you,) others were the red cross trying to get me to donate blood. The red cross is the worst, they'll call 2-3 times a day until you relent and go in. Still others I don't recognize. I know we signed up for the do not call list as soon as it was created, but an expiration would explain the recent uptick in calls.

Lately, I just hit the answer button and then immediately hit the end button when it's a 800 or 866 number I don't recognize.

2-1B
03-28-2007, 09:38 PM
I don't have a landline phone so thankfully I don't have to deal with these issues anymore.

Tycho
03-28-2007, 10:32 PM
Maybe the legislature (state or federal) revoked the Do Not Call Registry Act or, I do actually think that registration there was good for only 2 years and while it's free, you have to re-submit.

I'll get to re-registering I guess in the next day or so and I'll definitely post what I learn here.

I like having a landline as my speaker phone is very comfortable to use, and my cell bill is usually only $49 a month (Verizon) and I don't use all of my minutes because I use my landline for all "peak" local calls, and my cell for anytime minutes which I call long-distance on (though I use some of my 500 any-time for that as well). I don't go over so I don't see a need for a different plan. My landline comes with my Direct TV / DSL package anyway.

JediTricks
03-29-2007, 04:36 AM
I just got a call from Las Vegas something or other. I have the number on my caller-ID.

Maybe a year ago I re-registered my new number and re-registered my Cell number with the Do Not Call registry.

How long should that be good for?

Are there national and state ones? Has anyone else registered before and now suddenly gotten a sales call?Anybody who registered when the program first went active should be covered till 2008, it's a 5 year registry. You can check the status of your number on the site here: https://www.donotcall.gov/confirm/Conf.aspx
(they email you the results, mine are confirmed working)

It's possible you got a violator, but it's also possible they might fit under the exception list, here's who is still permitted to call: "calls from or on behalf of political organizations, charities, and telephone surveyors would still be permitted, as would calls from companies with which you have an existing business relationship, or those to whom you’ve provided express agreement in writing to receive their calls."
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt107.htm

We've been getting a bunch of calls from 1-800 and 1-866 numbers lately. Some of them were my alma mater calling and begging for money (I think I gave enough while I was there thank you,) others were the red cross trying to get me to donate blood. The red cross is the worst, they'll call 2-3 times a day until you relent and go in. I believe the Red Cross is allowed because it's a charity, and your school because you have an existing business relationship as mentioned above. You can tell either one of them to take you off their list though.

I don't have a landline phone so thankfully I don't have to deal with these issues anymore.Telemarketers can call cellphones, though most cell companies refuse to give their numbers out to telemarketers. You can register cell phone numbers with the FTC's do not call list as well.

Tycho
03-29-2007, 08:20 AM
Thank you JT. It seems like I got a violator, as my numbers are registered until 2011.

My caller-ID says "Las Vegas," with the number 702-467-8341.

I called it at 6:20 this morning and got a "message mailbox is full recording."

I wonder if it was someone misdialing? But it was a recorded telemarking call IIRC (from yesterday at about 3 in the afternoon, my time).

JediTricks
03-30-2007, 03:19 PM
It's a violator, they're pushing home loans, I found another person who got a call from them 2 days ago reported on the web. I would suggest going to the FTC's do not call site and seeing what it takes to report them.

El Chuxter
04-02-2007, 10:52 PM
There's a scam going on with 866 numbers calling and hanging up after two rings. When you call back, you get a recording that it's a removal service, and to enter your phone number. No company identification.

My wife's been getting about 5-10 of these a day on her cell phone. No idea why her number and not mine. She reported it to the FTC, but it appears that the Do Not Call Registry is a load of carp as they seem to be in no hurry to do something about this, and a quick Google search for the number revealed many others were having the same problem. :mad:

Mad Slanted Powers
04-05-2007, 11:48 PM
The last two, maybe three nights I get a call but no one is there to answer. I hear a click and no response so I hang up quick before they get a chance to start talking. However, when it happens several times like that, I kind of feel like waiting to find out who it is and tell them to stop calling.

Tycho
04-06-2007, 12:26 AM
MSP, those sound like computer recorded calls. For whatever reason, there is a delay from the time you pick up until the commercial starts playing.

The only ones I actually like are the political calls like that. Bill Clinton called me once! ;)

But I'm seriously such a fan of politics, I'd collect the action figures so I could make dioramas of Congress :rolleyes:

I love taking those political surveys, too.

But I don't want recorded carpet cleaning companies, or mortgage refinancing offers, etc.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-06-2007, 12:51 AM
They aren't always recordings. I think they just have auto-dialers or something and they don't always get on the line right away.

I don't like political surveys. They go on and and about issues that I may not know much about. So it is mostly me saying "no opinion". They ask if something makes me more or less likey to support something, or if I agree or disagree on an issue, somewhat or strongly. Maybe next time I should answer in the style of Palpatine.