PDA

View Full Version : New Forums System

SirSteve
06-28-2003, 12:44 AM
It's been a long time coming but it's finally here! This is the NEW version of our Forums system. There are MANY new features. Too many to post so you will just have to look around for yourself. Changes will still be made as soon as I get a feel of what needs to stay on and what needs to be turned off. Oh, and the navigation buttons at the top are temporary. If you put your mouse over them, they will tell you what they are (Open Buddy List, View New Posts, Mark All Forums Read, Logout, and Simple Search.

A few features members are inquiring about most:

Well, let me say, this forum upgrade has a ton of new features Which we will be telling you more about the more we learn about. A couple of new features we have enable are the user rating system and user participation system.

WYSIWYG Editor
Enabling this option in your User CP Options allows you to quickly manipulate different aspects of your posts including color, font, and size. In addition you can click on smilies to have them inserted into your posts.

Profile Picture
You can now upload a profile picture in your User CP

vCard download
Allows other users to download a vCard with your email and username contained within it.

User Participation System
The user participation system basically just is a visual indication which shows how active the member is in participating on our site. The different levels are indicated by stars, and can be achieve by reaching certain "milestones":

User Reputation System
This is basically what is know as user Karma. It is a way of rating users based on the quality of their posts. While this is only based on other users opinions, if used properly, it can give a pretty good indication of what type of poster the member is. For example, if a user consistantly makes post which other users feel are negative, then their reputation will show.
There are many factors which are taken into consideration as to how much of an effect a users vote will count. For example, the vote of users who have been here longer and have participated more, will have more of an impact than a newer member.
Here are a few of the "factors" which determine the impact of a vote:
- Users must have at least 25 posts before their vote will be considered.
- Users reputation count must be at least a 10 for their vote to count (all new members start out with a 10).
- Users are only allowed 10 reputation clicks every 24 hours.
- Users must click on at least 10 other people before they can go back to a person (this prevents cheating and allows for fairness in case someone becomes mad at another member).
- Each user starts out with 1 point of reputation altering power. For every 180 days you are a member of this site, your power will increase by 1. For every 100 your reputation increases, your power will increase by 1. For every 500 posts you make, your power will increase by 1.
So, as you can see, the better member you are, the better your reputation and voting power will become.

In order to vote on a post, look for reputation button located next edit and reply button in each individual post. When you click on it, it will pop up a window and ask what you think of the post. You will then choose 'I approve' or 'I disapprove' and you can also give a reason why you feel the way you do (this is only visible to the site administrators).

As people start voting, you will start seeing an icon showing up next to the users post count. The more icons you see, the higher the users reputation. So someone with 5 icons has a higher reputation than someone with one icon.

Enjoy!

Exhaust Port
06-28-2003, 02:23 AM
Looks great Steve.

Jedi Clint
06-28-2003, 02:46 AM
I agree. It looks great. What is "reputation", and how should it be used?

Pendo
06-28-2003, 09:35 AM
I'm loving the new forums SirSteve :D. Just when i thought SSG couldn't get any better :).

PENDO!

scruffziller
06-28-2003, 10:08 AM
It will take some getting used to.

Kidhuman
06-28-2003, 10:14 AM
Looks good Steve. Gonna have to look around to get a feel of the new boards.

DarthChuckMc
06-28-2003, 06:22 PM
Sweet. I like the added MSN and AOL icons for easy IM access. It's a heckuva lot easier to change text colors, italics, make things bold, or change size.

Fabulous all around.

Reputation is kinda neat, too. Will we get a prize if we score high?

Dar' Argol
06-29-2003, 11:41 AM
Holy cow!!! I'm MIA for a week and what the heck happens. Man, talk about a shock when I came here. Thankfull I remembered my password:D. Everything looks great SS, will take a bit getting use to, but it looks great!:D

Bel-Cam Jos
06-29-2003, 11:04 PM
The added info in this thread is quite helpful, SS. The reputation feature has a fine line, but it seems it'll work properly. Now I know, and knowing is... well, you know. ;)

hango fett
06-30-2003, 07:59 PM
you have done a outstanding job SS. it can't get much better than this...
H

stillakid
07-01-2003, 12:31 AM
[size=1]User Reputation System
This is basically what is know as user Karma. It is a way of rating users based on the quality of their posts. While this is only based on other users opinions, if used properly, it can give a pretty good indication of what type of poster the member is. For example, if a user consistantly makes post which other users feel are negative, then their reputation will show.

Hmm, I couldn't help but notice this portion of the rules. What is meant by "negative"? Does this mean to imply that unless a user is on the bandwagon with nothing but praise for George Lucas & Co. and everything that is produced by such, that they automatically "deserve" a bad reputation?

I get that this is a "fan" site, however I beg to differ with the narrow definition of what constitutes a "true fan." While one might look upon a staunch supporter of every element of Star Wars as the epitimy of what fandom is supposed to look like, I disagree. A true fan, in my opinion, is willing to take a realistic look at the pro's and con's of whatever hobby he/she takes an interest in. A totally "positive" outlook isn't fandom...it's more like fanaticism.

Personally, I consider myself such a huge fan of the Star Wars concept, that I have taken "offense" at the lower quality of the new films relative to the originals that brought most of us here in the first place. Not only that, to further "prove" my fandom, I not only integrated the hobby into my life...I chose a career because of those films. In other words, I'm living my hobby to the best of my ability.

In addition, you mention "quality" of posts. I personally feel that the "quality" of most of my posts is quite high when compared with some of the others which only go so far as to offer brief opinions. In the past, I have laboriously cited sources and detailed my findings with numerous quotations, scenes, et al. But by conjoining the word "quality" above with the word "negative" in regard to posts, you are opening up Pandora's Box so that no posts of any true worth can be made if they even suggest a modicum of negativity.

So, when you suggest that "negative" comments will reflect upon a users reputation (presumably in a negative manner), I implore you to reconsider that wording before unnecessarily saddling some of us with the yoke of scorn from radical Lucas-ites (well, anymore than is already present anyway).

Thank you.

SirSteve
07-01-2003, 01:00 AM
In simpler words, if someone is posting crap, it will show. If people are posting quality posts, it too will show. It's just someone's opinion and if this gets out of hand, it will be turned off.

Jedi Clint
07-01-2003, 03:29 AM
In my opinion this system creates a qualifier that is fundamentally inaccurate.

It appears that it has more to do with giving your buddies a popularity rating.

It has the potential to cause some negative emotions as well. I'm not necessarily referring to disapproving of a post and or leaving negative comments regarding the post or it's author.

What about those who don't get any form of "reputation" at all?

What is it supposed to tell others if you aren't already sportin' "......is on the distinguished road."....or whatever comes after that?

stillakid
07-01-2003, 10:41 AM
In simpler words, if someone is posting crap, it will show. If people are posting quality posts, it too will show. It's just someone's opinion and if this gets out of hand, it will be turned off.

Define "crap."

Define "quality."

I can't read anyone's mind, but I suspect that some here would consider "crap" to be synonomous with (what they consider) derogatory comments toward any aspect of the hobby.

In the same way, they might also consider "quality" to be a happy-happy-joy-joy attitude toward every aspect of the hobby.

See, I consider a "quality" post as one in which the author has clearly put in some thought before sitting down to type whatever the opinion or stance might be. Your wording above doesn't seem to reflect that.

DarthChuckMc
07-01-2003, 11:08 AM
Define "crap."

Define "quality."

I can't read anyone's mind, but I suspect that some here would consider "crap" to be synonomous with (what they consider) derogatory comments toward any aspect of the hobby.

In the same way, they might also consider "quality" to be a happy-happy-joy-joy attitude toward every aspect of the hobby.

See, I consider a "quality" post as one in which the author has clearly put in some thought before sitting down to type whatever the opinion or stance might be. Your wording above doesn't seem to reflect that.

I'm guessing "crap" would be defined as brief, silly replies like "You go girl!" and "That movie sucked eggs!!"

When people, no matter how articulate, or in some cases ignorant, like myself, try to post a reply to a topic others feels differently about, and get lambasted on their views, because certain people are more of an expert in a certain field, then some might consider that "crap". Even ignorant people know when they are being insulted, unless they're imbaciles, then maybe they don't have a clue.

I don't think "quality" is implied, that your post must be in line with the popular vote. Everyone disagrees about something. Some are ALOT more vocal, and buligerant about cramming their views down peoples throats than others.

If someone gives you a "disapprove" on your reputation, more than likely, it'll be because they feel like you insulted them, or another board member. It sucks to have to be SO pc, but if you can't try to get along, maybe you should find a place on the web that caters to people that feel more like you do about a subject, rather than ruffle everyone elses feathers.

I'm sure everyone would like to be liked, and some could care less what others think about them. If someone makes a good point, and another member wants to give them props, so be it. If someone is acting like a raving loon, just trying to get a rise out of people, someone will probably give them a negative response.

I don't think SS is gonna send you packin' if you aren't "on a distinguished road", but I do think other people will avoid posting in threads a person with a bad reputation starts or frequents.

***The preceding post is NOT directed at any one person on this board. It as meant to be taken as a general statement in response to a question***

SirSteve
07-01-2003, 11:47 AM
crap, quality, it's all someone's opinion. Again, this feature may or may not stay.

JediTricks
07-01-2003, 04:52 PM
One thing I do like about this feature is that you can see recent reputation comments about your posts. If someone likes your post but has nothing to add to the conversation, they can now express their opinion on your words via the Reputation system. Maybe that's just ego-stroking though. ;)

If the comments could be shown publicly and there was no limit, this system would make a good forums Classifieds feedback.

BTW, is it my imagination, or is Steve's Yoda avatar looking angrier by the day? :D :crazed:

Lord Malakite
07-02-2003, 07:17 AM
I'm just happy I figured out how to log in again. :crazed: It took a few tries to figure it out. :D

stillakid
07-02-2003, 09:26 AM
BTW, is it my imagination, or is Steve's Yoda avatar looking angrier by the day? :D :crazed:

Not much gets to me anymore, but for some reason, Steve's Yoda has scared me from day one. No, really!

DarthBrandon
07-02-2003, 08:23 PM
This is the error I was talking about SirSteve.

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_ELSE in /home/virtual/site1/fst/var/www/html/forums/includes/sessions.php on line 195

There seems to have been a slight problem with the SSG Forums database.
Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

SirSteve
07-02-2003, 11:32 PM
This is the error I was talking about SirSteve.

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_ELSE in /home/virtual/site1/fst/var/www/html/forums/includes/sessions.php on line 195

There seems to have been a slight problem with the SSG Forums database.
Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

Explain exactly how you got this again, please. Thanks.

DarthBrandon
07-02-2003, 11:54 PM
It just happens when I go backwards or forwards sometimes, while browsing the forums.

Pendo
07-03-2003, 02:46 AM
I get this error sometimes when trying to access threads:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 737280 bytes) in /home/virtual/site1/fst/var/www/html/forums/showthread.php(1564) : eval()'d code on line 297

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 15 bytes) in Unknown on line 0

PENDO!

Eternal Padawan
07-03-2003, 04:29 PM
Not that it matters much to me anymore as I can't log on, but on the main forum page the title of the last thread to be posted in in any particular forum is listed. As some forumites (albiet a minority) wish to remain spoiler free, this might be a problem when scrolling down the main forum page you see "Anakin chops off Mace's head! Pics!" or something similar in the Episode III spoiler section. I know this was an issue the last time around and the consensus was screw you spoiler free types, but I just thought I'd mention it for those who are remaining behind...

Ta.

SirSteve
07-03-2003, 05:43 PM
I get this error sometimes when trying to access threads:

PENDO!

This was supposed to be fixed today. Will check on it.

SirSteve
07-03-2003, 05:45 PM
Not that it matters much to me anymore as I can't log on, but on the main forum page the title of the last thread to be posted in in any particular forum is listed. As some forumites (albiet a minority) wish to remain spoiler free, this might be a problem when scrolling down the main forum page you see "Anakin chops off Mace's head! Pics!" or something similar in the Episode III spoiler section. I know this was an issue the last time around and the consensus was screw you spoiler free types, but I just thought I'd mention it for those who are remaining behind...

Ta.

I addressed this somewhere... working on a fix. If you cannot login, how are you posting?

El Chuxter
07-03-2003, 05:53 PM
I addressed this somewhere... working on a fix. If you cannot login, how are you posting?

I'm not sure if EP will be back anytime soon, but I recall him posting somewhere that he can only log in on a relative's computer for some reason.

DarthBrandon
07-03-2003, 08:09 PM

I was thinking that myself. LOL

Bel-Cam Jos
07-03-2003, 09:05 PM
If you cannot login, how are you posting?
Maybe it's Rollo Tomassi, back from the grave! :eek:

I have had no problems so far, except that reading HP and the Order of the Phoenix is taking longer than I thought. What? Oh, related to this site! Gotcha. :happy:

SirSteve
07-04-2003, 01:12 PM

Ta.
I removed the "Episode III (SPOILERS)" section from appearing on the home page "Latest Discussions" section. Now I just have to figure out how to remove the thread title on the forum home page.

jedi master sal
07-07-2003, 02:04 PM
Okay, Steve, I can't post normally. I have to use one of the special types such as bold to post. If I try to post a message regularily (type in the message section) I get this error: Java Script Error Description:'document.selection' is not an object Source:http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/newreply.php?do_newreply&noquote+1&p+262939 Line"484 Yes that's the whole error I get. Now, I tried to address this with JediTricks but even though he sent me a PM, I cou;dn't get to that either. When I go to my PM's I click on the message and get another error. Are these errors occuring because I have a MAC computer? if so, do you plan on making the forums mac compatible. If it's not because I have a MAC then would you please do the research to find out what this problem is. If it is a "Mac" problem and you don't have plans to correct this error then I won't be able to moderate. And I must say that I've been a memebr of this site for sometime and would hate to lose my moderating status or even just my posting abilities because of this. Please either post the answer here in this thread or e-mail me privately as I can't get to my PM's here. Thanks, Sal (again sorry for the bold type, it's the only way I can get a message on the boards)

SirSteve
07-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Okay, Steve, I can't post normally. I have to use one of the special types such as bold to post. If I try to post a message regularily (type in the message section) I get this error: Java Script Error Description:'document.selection' is not an object Source:http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/newreply.php?do_newreply&noquote+1&p+262939 Line"484 Yes that's the whole error I get. Now, I tried to address this with JediTricks but even though he sent me a PM, I cou;dn't get to that either. When I go to my PM's I click on the message and get another error. Are these errors occuring because I have a MAC computer? if so, do you plan on making the forums mac compatible. If it's not because I have a MAC then would you please do the research to find out what this problem is. If it is a "Mac" problem and you don't have plans to correct this error then I won't be able to moderate. And I must say that I've been a memebr of this site for sometime and would hate to lose my moderating status or even just my posting abilities because of this. Please either post the answer here in this thread or e-mail me privately as I can't get to my PM's here. Thanks, Sal (again sorry for the bold type, it's the only way I can get a message on the boards)

As soon as the update is available, it will be done. It should be soon... how soon, however soon they get it to me.

jedi master sal
07-07-2003, 03:51 PM
As soon as the update is available, it will be done. It should be soon... how soon, however soon they get it to me.
So does that mean it was a MAC computer problem?

SirSteve
07-07-2003, 07:23 PM
So does that mean it was a MAC computer problem?

Looks like Macs and WebTV people.

DewMan37
07-11-2003, 09:52 PM
vBulliten 3 is pwn, if implemented correctly, it's too bad that isn't the case here...

SirSteve
07-13-2003, 09:52 AM
Changes have been made for MAC and WebTV users. I also fixed the forum home page so it doesn't display any spoilers for the E3 (Spoiler) section. LMK if it helps.