PDA

View Full Version : Concept Stormie Pics!

Thunderstorm1
06-28-2003, 10:12 AM
Just thought that everyone might like to know that www.rebelscum.com has posted a couple of pics of the new Fan's Choice Concept Stormtrooper. The pics are to be in the new Star Wars Insider also.

Have to say I am kinda disappointed, thought they could do better than that.

What do you guys think?

Here are the links

http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=http://www.rebelscum.com/toys2/McStorm1.jpg

and

http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=http://www.rebelscum.com/toys2/McStorm2.jpg

Kidhuman
06-28-2003, 10:17 AM
I too am a little disappointed in this figure. I thought it would look better at first glance. Who knows, it just might grow on me the more I look at it.

TheDarthVader
06-28-2003, 10:20 AM
I was not planning on getting this figure when it comes out, and I am still not getting it. This figure is lame in my opinion. Even if it was better, I would not buy it...we could've had Rieekan!!! :(

evenflow
06-28-2003, 11:45 AM
What a waste of a fan choice figure. It looks terrible and it was aterrible choice for anyone to pick in the first place. I did not vote for it, and i will not buy it. I really don't want it after seeing it, it looks terrible. There were much more deserving choices such as the Imperial Dignitary, but whatever.

Jargo
06-28-2003, 12:37 PM
I feel so vindivcated in my rants against this as the winner of the fan's choice poll. What a piece of amateur junk. Hasbro please sack the sculptor. I fear for future fan's choice fgures now. :mad:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-28-2003, 12:48 PM
Well, it looks like crap, but the concept of the stormtrooper does anyway, so no surprise. :rolleyes: The lightsaber is incredibly stupid, they could've at least put the colored part of the saber around a white part, like they were supposed to. Oh well.

Battle Droid
06-28-2003, 03:28 PM
Yeah, there's a reason why Lucas didn't use the concept Stormtrooper, cause it sucks.

hango fett
06-28-2003, 04:02 PM
all i got to say is i love that saber! rock on, stormie!
h

DarthChuckMc
06-28-2003, 04:14 PM
I like it. It looks like I expected it to. Maybe we'll get a whole line of "concept" figures. They gotta give us something to fill up the next 15 years.

Brainiak76
06-28-2003, 04:16 PM
its not too bad!! but its alil to boxy for me! Not bad!

Deoxyribonucleic
06-28-2003, 04:22 PM
It doesn't even look like Ralph's Stormtrooper at all!!! And what's with that HUGE piece of holster junk on the side?????

I'm uberdisappionted and at the risk of having cyber tomatoes thrown at me, I did vote for this hunk of junk as I thought Hasbro would have made it actually LOOK like the concept Stormtrooper....BOY was I wrong in SO many ways!!!

My apologies for voting for this....this....thing!! :stupid:

WOW, it REALLY is UGLY!

Battle Droid
06-28-2003, 04:26 PM
"Aren't you a little Fat for a Stormtrooper?" or "Does the Armor make me look Fat?"

LTBasker
06-28-2003, 04:38 PM
Man, that thing is uber disappointment. How in the world did they see that?! It's chunky, bulky, underdetailed, the accessories are stupid looking. The thing looks like those Clone Trooper bootlegs!

I was expecting something more sharply detailed, more curves and poking armor with some very nice weathering details. Something like a cross between the Commtech Stormie and the Spacetrooper with more detailing.

This is just sad on so many levels, months of waiting for this?! Yeah if it was a pre-fully sculpted prototype of sorts it'd be understandable but they've had over the regular amount of time to work on this! For shame...

InsaneJediGirl
06-28-2003, 09:11 PM
Glad I didnt vote for this.Never liked the idea of concept figures.Way too chunky and the lightsaber is quite off from the picture.Looks like a joust.

AmanaMatt
06-28-2003, 09:28 PM
From Ephant Mon to that!?!

Awful. This has the look of something a first year intern may sculpt. I mean, this really looks like a 1995 sculpt.

Beast
06-28-2003, 09:59 PM
Agreed with all said. I was ticked off when it won. Over the other figures that were in the poll. When I saw the original design plans, I was hopeful that this figure might turn out ok. Even though I voted for the Dignitary. Say hello to the official worst figure of 2003. A pox on everyone that voted for him instead of the Dignitary or Riekeen. :(

joe-da
06-28-2003, 10:43 PM
1. Why was this concept figure an option for the poll?

2. Why did anyone vote for it?

3. How could a figure look much worse? It looks like a pre-school toy.

I hope everyone who voted for this abomination buys 100 of it. Don't want to hurt my eyes looking at it on the shelves. And I sure don't want it clogging up shelf space.

Beast
06-28-2003, 11:05 PM
Well, the problem was that most of us split our votes between Riekeen and the Dignitary. So there wasn't a strong enough force to compete with the group that was supporting the SketchTrooper. So he sneaked out a victory. Atleast we're still getting the Dignitaries anyway. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jjreason
06-28-2003, 11:10 PM
It's a poor looking figure. I too was hoping they'd redeem themselves by even allowing this thing to be made by making it extra cool. They didn't do that. I, too, voted for Rieeken. Man is that sad.

Deoxyribonucleic
06-28-2003, 11:16 PM
A pox on everyone that voted for him instead of the Dignitary or Riekeen. :(

HEYYYY!!! I turned myself in, I admitted (and am the only one so far to do so) that I, because I really LOVE Ralph's artwork, voted for this "could have been a really cool figure" concept design. It's not MY fault some little Miss Junior sculpted it!! Therefore, I should not be poxed!!

;) :D :crazed: :) ;)

Beast
06-28-2003, 11:24 PM
O.k., for being the big person and turning yourself in...no poxing for you. You used your "Get out of Pox free card", so no more excuses. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Hellboy
06-28-2003, 11:27 PM
Yeah I've got to go with the majority on this one it doesn't look very good. I was never thrilled that this was the fan's choice since I too voted for the Dignitaries but I still held out hope for a quality sculpt. It looks a little to much like the Spacetrooper with a shield and saber. :(

Sidiously Darth
06-29-2003, 02:24 AM
Oh My Gosh!!! What in the heck is that??? :confused: :stupid: :crazed:

What's he holding? A halogen flashlight?

I voted for Rieekan! I hate to pat myself and quite a few others here on the back, but we told you this would happen. :eek:

Now we all have to live with the mistake of the so called majority from that fan poll. :mad: :cry:

BTW, the 10 bootleg clone troopers I have look much better than that thing. :happy:

Deoxyribonucleic
06-29-2003, 03:35 AM
O.k., for being the big person and turning yourself in...no poxing for you. You used your "Get out of Pox free card", so no more excuses. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

EXCELLENT! ;) and of course thanks for taking away the poxes :)

bobafrett
06-29-2003, 08:55 AM
Well, I voted for this concept Stormie, but after seeing the picture all I can say is "Eewww". Yuck Hasbro, has thou not learned it's lesson yet?

I'll still buy at least one, because I'm crazy like that.

Old Fossil
06-29-2003, 09:59 AM
I didn't vote for this one, nor did I much care for it, upon first glance. But it's growing on me, slowly, almost imperceptibly, like algae in a fish tank. I think the finished product will look better than the pics posted above.

The selling point on this figure will be the packaging -- how good the concept Stormie looks in it, that is. It will be useless for diorama-building, and won't really go with any other Star Wars figures (except for a very few Expanded Universe pieces).

I'd buy it, if it looked good in the packaging, 'cause this is not one I'd take out and set up loose, like I did with Ephant and Ellors Madak.

Banthaholic
06-29-2003, 10:19 AM
I just don't get the point of this figure. I can see kinds using their imaginations, with Ephant or Ammanaman, but this figure, imaine two smal, kids playing

"Hey Billy, I'm going to take down your Jedi today, I have a the dreaded 'Concept' figure. Not only will he blind you with his flashlight, but he was designed by Ralph"

or (Billy's mom yelling)
"Billy! Put your toys away, you're supposed to be in bed! I know you have your toys out because I can see the glow of it's lightsaber!"

In reality, what parents oour going to buy a concept figure for a kid. Can you say peg-warmer. I really hope some one from Habro reads thee threads, and sees the utter disgust for their 'hard-work'.

I guess they were fed up with all of the completists, that actually buy their toys. Since they seem to want to alienate collectors with horrible distribution, and products that should have never left the factory. (Pilot Jango)

Tycho
06-29-2003, 12:04 PM
Just like my signature line says....

It's not my fault: I voted for Rieeken!

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
06-29-2003, 12:14 PM
That lightsaber looks terrible.

evenflow
06-29-2003, 12:29 PM
I hope that everyone who voted for this is ashamed of themselves. Terrible choice, I wish the Dignitary would have won.

Rogue II
06-29-2003, 05:37 PM
Hahahaha! That thing looks like a bootleg. I had no intention of buying it anyway.

That's right, I voted for Rieeken.

DarthBrandon
06-29-2003, 05:57 PM
I didn't vote on this poll (everybody put their guns away) as I had family affairs going on at the time and it totally slipped my mind. But if I had of voted it would have been for Rieeken. I did however think that this could have been a really nice figure if it was done right, so far I'm not impressed. They should have just given it the commtech troopers body, a new head sculpt maybe and some accessories. (i.e. lightsaber, shield, blaster and holster that's not huge looking.)

Just my two cents :D

rbaumhauer
06-29-2003, 10:08 PM
I hate to point out the obvious, but there were maybe three kids world-wide who would have known to vote for *any* figure, so complaining about "nobody buying the Concept Stormtrooper for their kids" is ridiculous - the Fan Choice figures are for FANS.

More fans voted for the Concept Stormie than Rieekan or the Dignitary, and while I didn't vote (wasn't actively collecting at the time), I would have been one of them if I had. Frankly, I *loved* that McQuarrie piece when I first saw it in the Portfolio in '78, and I would love to have a whole set of the major characters as they were in the early concept paintings (particularly the Samurai Vader and the droids).

Honestly, I was thrilled when I heard that the Concept Stormtrooper was being made, as a good sculpt with good accessories would be a nice start on getting more concept figures made. Unfortunately, Hasbro appears to have dropped the ball badly on this one - what were they thinking with that holster? The lightsaber, if it works as it was described, might be salvageable, but only under conditions that would show the glow effect.

I'm still hopeful that the actual figure will look better than the pictures, but it doesn't look good right now.

rbaumhauer
06-29-2003, 10:25 PM
Actually, after looking at the pictures again, I've noticed a couple of basic things that could really improve the look of the figure. Besides the obvious problems (blocky sculpt, lightsaber, holster), the biggest problem is that they seem to have gone with a sculpt which looks a fair bit like the illustration, but they've painted it like the movie Stormtrooper.

The colors in the illustration are a lot more muted than the figure - virtually all the bits that are black on the figure are more of a light-to-medium gray in the painting. Unfortunately, the less-than-stellar sculpt is made to look very cartoony by the too-dramatic paint scheme. If they had gone with the proper colors from the painting, I think it could really have improved the figure.

JediTricks
06-30-2003, 12:39 AM
Have to say I am kinda disappointed, thought they could do better than that.
Deoxyribonucleic[/size]] It doesn't even look like Ralph's Stormtrooper at all!!! And what's with that HUGE piece of holster junk on the side????
Well, I voted for this concept Stormie, but after seeing the picture all I can say is "Eewww". Yuck Hasbro, has thou not learned it's lesson yet?

I'll still buy at least one, because I'm crazy like that.
More fans voted for the Concept Stormie than Rieekan or the Dignitary, and while I didn't vote, I would have been one of them if I had. Frankly, I *loved* that McQuarrie piece when I first saw it in the Portfolio in '78, and I would love to have a whole set of the major characters as they were in the early concept paintings (particularly the Samurai Vader and the droids).

Honestly, I was thrilled when I heard that the Concept Stormtrooper was being made, as a good sculpt with good accessories would be a nice start on getting more concept figures made. Unfortunately, Hasbro appears to have dropped the ball badly on this one - what were they thinking with that holster? The lightsaber, if it works as it was described, might be salvageable, but only under conditions that would show the glow effect.I agree with these posts, I definitely would have voted for this one if I had voted, but I don't think Hasbro pulled off a very good sculpt here and wouldn't have championed it if I knew this was going to be the final result (I'm kinda hoping it's NOT the final result, but I'm not counting on that). I'm especially disappointed by the shield, the Hasbro version is just a big fat mess; and the holster; and the blocky sculpt; and the relatively-small torso.... I'll definitely buy one, but it doesn't appear as good as it should and doesn't hold promise for Hasbro creating other concept figs like concept Vader or Chewie or R2 (I'd really like to see good figs based on McQuarrie's awesome concept art, but these are the ones I want most after Stormie).

JEDIpartner
06-30-2003, 09:26 AM
Okay... originally I had not problem with this figure being made. The idea behind this and the pre-production illustrations looked perfectly brilliant. Now that we FINALLY get a look at this thing... it looks completely dreadful! What is going on with that holster??? Why are the colours all wrong??? Help!!!

I suppose the only GOOD thing I can say about this, at this time, is that at least it has a more neutral pose and more articulation than all of these bloody Clone Trooopers!!!! :mad:

darth_billyjack
07-01-2003, 01:15 PM
well, its not the greatest figure ever.. i like the shield however.
ill probably get a few just to use as custom fodder, mmm radiation trooper maybe

teebo_js
07-01-2003, 04:27 PM
All I can say is that i am happy for once that an action figure won't be sell in Canada...

I never saw any of the 2003 figures. I don't see why i'll find this ugly one.

seth_quinn
07-02-2003, 10:50 AM
yarg, what mess that thing is. from the concept images I thought this had some potential, keyword being had. here's hoping that they find a way to do something to improve upon this nightmare before it's released and that it's short shipped so that only the few that like it & us completists will be able to find it without it being a major peg-warmer.

El Chuxter
07-02-2003, 11:57 AM
Makes me want to flush the commode. ;)

I still say that the polls are rigged. A winner is chosen in advance. . . but the number of votes on the other characters tells Hasbro who to make next.

Prototype photos for Ellors Madakk were online almost before the first poll was finished.

Amanaman lost the first vote, but won the second and was made in record time.

Eeth Koth lost the first (?) vote, but was on shelves within a year anyway.

The Imperial Dignitary lost this vote, but we're getting two anyway.

Not complaining that it's rigged, just stating my two cents worth.

IG-808
07-02-2003, 12:00 PM
I was really looking forward to this figure, man what a HUGE dissapointment. It looks nothing like the concept pictures. I won't even mention the black holster thingy that is nowhere to be seen in any of the concept pictures in the Insider. It is all big and blocky looking whereas the concept is all thin and slender. Also the concept has white or gray body glove not black. There should be barely any black on it at all.

It is funny I am looking at the article in the Insider and I find this ironic. The quote under the concept picture says the following "Many details from Ralph McQuarries concept paintings did not appear in the movie". Yeah and not many details form the concept drawing showed up in the action figure either.

To think I voted for this figure too...........what a rip!!

aikman8_1999
07-03-2003, 11:17 AM
What a waste of a fan choice figure. It looks terrible and it was aterrible choice for anyone to pick in the first place. I did not vote for it, and i will not buy it. I really don't want it after seeing it, it looks terrible. There were much more deserving choices such as the Imperial Dignitary, but whatever.

Amen!

A concept figure shouldnt have been a poll option to begin with.

When this nightmare clogs the pegs I hope they get rid of the fans choice polls forever. This might have been a FANBOYS choice, certainly not for fans though.

What kid is gonna know what the hell this is?

And miserable looking to boot, way to go hasblo

Sidiously Darth
07-03-2003, 12:07 PM
Makes me want to flush the commode. ;)

LOL! That has to be the funniest remark I've heard about this figure. :D

I still can't believe they're going to release this figure. They should rename it Charlie Brown, he's a blockhead!

bobafrett
07-04-2003, 12:46 AM
Well, they have the pictures in the most recent issue of the Insider. That is if you want to see this one on paper.

Jaff
07-04-2003, 09:10 AM
I would rather tie my toungue to a tail pipe and be dragged naked over a field of broken glass than buy this obvious attempt to prolonge the SW figure line with new unique expanded universe fig. This was chosen over REIKEN! We may all feel shame at the sadness of passing on that Empire figure. Thats all I have to say now, I'm going to find a corner to howl at the moon in agony. :crazed:

aikman8_1999
07-07-2003, 01:46 AM
...buy this obvious attempt to prolonge the SW figure line with new unique expanded universe fig.
Very true.
Perhaps the precursor idea to the clone wars line?

They did the expanded universe sketch vehicles and man were they weak, didnt sell either...

Mandalorian Candidat
07-07-2003, 02:14 PM
I voted for this figure and based on the original McQuarrie artwork would do so again. Hasbro has bastardized the look of this figure, however. I almost wish they'd just rerelease the CT Stormie with lightsaber and shield and called it good.

Another example of a good idea that went bad in production.

rbaumhauer
07-07-2003, 03:05 PM
Well said, MC.

Like I've already said, I was one of the people who was really looking forward to this figure, hoping it would be the first of limited series of concept figures based on McQuarrie's paintings.

Honestly, I can't believe there are people who are basically saying,"This figure sucks, I never liked the idea, AND I DON'T THINK PEOPLE SHOULD HAVE BEEN ALLOWED TO VOTE FOR IT IN THE FIRST PLACE!" Come on, Hasbro has the license for the next 15 years, and you already know you'll have not one, but TWO Imperial Dignitaries in the near future, and I'm sure Rieekan will follow at some point down the road. There were more votes for the Sketchtrooper, and it's the sort of figure that probably wouldn't get made if it wasn't for the Fan Poll.

On the other hand, for the people who *did* want the Sketchtrooper and hoped it would do well enough to warrant a series of Concept figures, this is nothing short of heartbreaking. People who might have bought multiples of the Trooper will probably grudgingly buy one (assuming we ever see the figure at retail in the first place), and sales won't justify a continuation of the idea with future figures. On top of that, this was probably the only shot at getting this figure - I can't see Hasbro re-doing the figure at some point down the road if this one fails in the marketplace.

If you didn't like the idea of the figure and probably weren't going to buy it regardless, what have you lost? For those of us who wanted the figure, though, the mess Hasbro has made of it is a huge disappointment.

jpak001
07-07-2003, 06:19 PM
Ah well........ Guess we'll never see the McQuarrie "insect/Samurai" Vader. :( ....that's the concept figure I would've liked to have seen.

Hopefully this 'trooper will look better in person......

Turbowars
07-07-2003, 07:18 PM
If you didn't like the idea of the figure and probably weren't going to buy it regardless, what have you lost?

I'll tell you what other collectors have lost, a chance for a more qualified figure to be produced. I didn't vote for it, but thought it might be cool if we got a whole line with concept figures, but if ths is it, then no thanks Hasbro.

karinations
07-09-2003, 01:01 AM
Er is this a Kubrick or...

-V-

Jaff
07-09-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by rbaumhauer

If you didn't like the idea of the figure and probably weren't going to buy it regardless, what have you lost?

I like to think in dollars and sence and all of us must realize that some day the SW line will end. It won't happen for at least one year after Episode III release, and for each crap figure/expanded universe figure they make now is one less we will see when the line ends. There are still hundreds of figures to be made from all 5 movies and Episode III is around the corner.

We will never see every figure made from the movies, unless hasbro devotes itself to the movies totally and offer no resculpts. That will not happen because it would be a bad move against kids and new collectors who are looking for a luke figure. The really sad fact is that so far this year Hasbro has really damaged the profit ability of the Saga line terribly. The good news is their quickly rectifying it with the cinema scenes, and movie themed figs (mainly the classic films). But when Hasbro starts anouncing the Clone wars its pulling the franchise in the wrong direction at a bad time. Clone wars should have been released when profits and distribution was at a all time high. Releasing clone wars now will only deter collectors when they can't find any classic figures that are new on the shelf. Stores will commit to the clone wars over Yoda and Chian figs anyday because it seems like a new line of SW toys.