PDA

View Full Version : 28 Days Later *SPOILERS*

Hellboy
06-28-2003, 11:56 PM
I had a chance to see this movie yesterday and the images are still lingering in my mind. :eek:

Let me start off by saying that I love well crafted horror movies and other than George A. Romero's Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead I don't think zombie horror has been done justice.

I can't remember the last time I felt this on edge when watching a movie. This movie is scary and not for the same reasons most horror movies are. Instead of cheap scares director Danny Boyle attacks our sense of security by making you feel that at any time one of these infected humans (zombies) could pounce around a corner and catch any one of the characters off guard. Unlike Romero's slow lumbering flesh eating zombies that we saw in the Dead series these zombies are fast and it only takes one drop of their blood to infect someone in less than 20 seconds. To make matters worse if they get close enough they will vomit blood at their intended victims leaving little chance for escape.

Overall I left this movie feeling very uneasy. It makes you realise just how fragile our society really is. Even though this is a Zombie-Horror flick it somehow feels as if this could possibly happen especially when you consider the recent S.A.R.S. epidemic. I highly recommend this film but be prepared to feel very tense and maybe even a little down after seeing it. It's nice to see true horror return this year with films like this and the more over the top House of 1000 Corpses. Hopefully it will be succussful and we will get more like it rather than the cliche ridden teen slasher flicks of the last decade.

If anyone else has seen it I would love to hear your thoughts. :)

RooJay
06-30-2003, 06:11 PM
I agree completely. This is absolutely the best film in it's genre (survival horror?) that I have seen in quite a long time! I saw it yesterday, and had nightmares about it last night; two of them, actually! This one definitely has a spot in my DVD collection as soon as it's released, and I imagine I'll watch it quite often.
Like you Hellboy, I too got the sense that anything could happen at any time during this movie. No matter what the scene, I always had the sense that the characters were never safe and I had half a mind to cover my eyes through the thing. ;)

Hellboy
06-30-2003, 08:34 PM
[QUOTE=RooJay] I saw it yesterday, and had nightmares about it last night; two of them, actually! QUOTE]

Glad you liked it as much as I did RooJay and you're not alone. I too had nightmares but wasn't going to bring it up for fear of embarrasment. :stupid:

This movie is also a must have for me as well and I hope we get a director's cut or an extended version when the DVD is released. It clocked in at 109min. but I left wanting more. Most of the people in the audience seemed to be stunned by the time the film ended. It was funny too when the credits started to roll the people behind me said "that is the most f***ed up movie I've ever seen. I'll probably see it again in the theater but nothing will compare to the uneasy feeling of seeing it for the first time. :eek:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-30-2003, 08:35 PM
hehehehehehehehe I had a post about this movie back in December and nobody replied!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! :D

I love all the Romero films and watch them pretty much weekly. I heard about this movie from a fellow horror pal and since it was only available in the UK at the time,i had to resort to kazaa.

I had it downloaded back in November and loved it. I was giddy as hizell when i found out it was hitting the states in the summer. I caught the sneak showing of it june 13th and loved it even more. It's great to see it on the big screen and enjoy it in surround sound. However, i don't think of these "infected" as zombies for some reason. I do however like how it's being compared to Romero's classic films because it'll get a lot more fans to come out since there is a huge cult following for his films. Even though i had already watched it hundreds of time, i still jumped when i saw it on the big screen. I just LOVE the last 25 min or so, very nerve racking. I also love how it was shot and portrayed. I read somewhere that the ending we're seeing in the theaters isn't the original one that was intended, but some test audiences wanted a different ending, so that last scene was added in.

I also recommend this film to everybody who loves Romero's films as well as loves a good scare. This movie is truly remarkable and is perfect to see instead of the usual summer crap. cheers!! :D

RooJay
06-30-2003, 11:01 PM
I'd be willing to bet that we do get an extended directors edition. The movie was actually released in the UK on the first of November last year, and according to http://www.imdb.com the Region 2 DVD has already been released over there. From what I've been able to gather the UK DVD version includes the following scenes that were cut or changed from the american version:

- A scene of the protagonists attempting to leave London and being faced with a road blocked with abandonded vehicles.

- An extended conversation in the taxi up the M6 (where Jim and Selena take turns driving)

- More footage of Jim in a deserted London at the start.

- An alternate take of Jones's death with the infected overruning the mansion and killing him. This scene also had Col. West shooting the floppy-hatted soldier (with great remorse) plus Farrel and Selena looking down into a basement swarming with the infected. Final shot is West bolting a door to prevent the infected getting to him and an infected woman trying to bite through the glass to reach him.

- Jim hiding under the floorboards to avoid Mailer and the floppy-hatted soldier as they rampage through the house.

- 2 alternate endings. One of Jim dying in hospital with Selena and Hannah trying to save him, intercut with Jim's dream of the crash that put him in a coma. The other is the same as the normal one but with only Selena and Hannah hailing the aircraft, leading us to assume that Jim died.

- As Jim, Selena and Mark are walking along the Docklands Railway, they find a 'hospital train' which they investigate. Jim finds a mobile phone but there is no signal. The scene is supposed to demonstrate a retrospective look at the events leading up to mass infection as the government must have used hospital trains to cope with the mass overflow in hospitals.

- There is a scene where Jim, Selena, Hannah and her father are trying to get out of London (which would have appeared before the tunnel scene). The shot pans up to a flyover with smashed vehicles everywhere, some hanging over the edge and the city in the background. This scene appears untreated on the DVD as the film makers never added CGI since the scene was not used ie. you can still see moving traffic etc.

- On the drive up to Manchester, you see Jim, Selena and Hannah all taking turns driving and acting out the character of a taxi driver. The scene was cut as it was felt the characters had bonded enough and the shot didn't really work anyway as it was a little cringeworthy.

- Another scene in the house is after Jim rescues Selena and Hannah and prior to them getting outside into the taxi, you see them all peer over a bannister and see hoards of the infected in the house.

- Based on the previous cut scene detailed where Jim dies after being shot, the ending remains virtually the same with the obvious difference that Jim is not there when the plane flies over and spots Selena and Hannah. You see just prior to that Selena talking about breeding and the need to procreate and as the camera pulls back you discover she is talking to a chicken.

Hellboy
07-02-2003, 08:33 PM
I heard about this movie from a fellow horror pal and since it was only available in the UK at the time,i had to resort to kazaa.

I had it downloaded back in November and loved it.

Were any of the things RooJay mentioned in the UK version you saw?

BTW RooJay I had no idea so much was cut from the final American version this is indeed great news. I would love to see all of those scenes, they sound great. Lets hope demand will warrant an extended cut. :D Thanks for the info.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-04-2003, 02:08 AM
Nah, the UK version was exactly the same as the US version.

USA Today has an article up about Cillian Murphy (Jim). Check it out if you care to: http://www.usatoday.com/life/2003-07-02-cillian_x.htm

Lastly, descriptions of those deleted scenes got me foaming at the mouth. I hope the US gets that sort of treatment. I think we will however, the movie blew away the studios expectations, so if all fares well, we'll get a good DVD release. :D

Darth Jax
07-14-2003, 11:17 PM
i was sooo looking forward to seeing this flick after seeing the trailers. and then i actually went and saw it today. came away very disappointed. film noir might be cool, but i'd rather be able to see some effects rather than just some vague shapes in the shadows. it seemed that the chaos that would be caused by the downfall of humanity was only partly represented. finding a paper detailing the evacuation of the cities confirms that while the 'infection' spread quickly it didn't happen overnight. how does a store survive intact with rioting/fighting in the streets. the first sign of trouble and the stores would be stripped bare of essentials or looted.

still trying to determine why i didn't enjoy the movie. if i devise a way to put into words i'll post more

Hellboy
07-24-2003, 10:45 PM
I figured some of you might like to know this.

In an interesting move by FOX Searchlight Pictures starting July 25th after the credits all showings of 28 Days later will play the alternate ending. :D I was planning on seeing this movie once more in the theater but this really makes me want to see it again. I wonder how many people will actually go a second just time because of this.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-08-2003, 11:21 PM
Ah, i still haven't seen the film lately in the theaters due to NOBODY wanting to go with me (they're all too scared to go). I plan on seeing it this weekend, by myself if i must. Anyway, got some US DVD information thanks to Bloody Disgusting.

"Even more gory thrills can be had a week later on October 21st when Fox unleashes the British zombie sleeper 28 Days Later. Available in separate anamorphic widescreen and full screen flavors both with Dolby Digital 5.1 surround tracks, extras include audio commentary with director danny Boyle and screenwriter Alex Garland, not one but three alternate endings, deleted Scenes, the "Pure Rage" featurette, two still galleries, storyboards, a music video and theatrical and teaser trailers. Retail is also $27.95."

With the Indy Trilogy being released early that day, it's going to be a very very expensive day for me. :D

patchiswelsh
08-12-2003, 04:02 PM
Core I'm in the UK and i ain't even seen this film yet
i really want to though, so I suppose I'll pop out and rent it.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-20-2003, 02:13 PM
Picked up the DVD today and i'm delighted with it thus far!!! I wonder if the "3 alternate endings" includes the regular one on the film, which i think it does. On the alternate endings, there are just the two, that i can find at least. I've watched a few of the making of and whatnot. Great disc!!! I suggested ya'll pick it up!! cheers!! :D

Hellboy
10-20-2003, 08:32 PM
Glad to hear you like it JM Guyute. I plan on getting mine tomorrow. :D

I actually find myself more excited about this DVD release than any other even The Indiana Jones Trilogy or The Matrix Reloaded, all films I love. I can't remember the last time a movie effected me like this and can't wait to share it with someone who hasn't yet seen it. :eek: Great movie at Halloween time too.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-20-2003, 08:41 PM
Hellboy- glad to see there is another SSG forumite who's giddy about this flick!! :D

Also, when you watch it, tell me if you notice if they cleaned up the picture at all. I remember it was shot kind of a digital style and it was somewhat grainy and whatnot. That looks like it has been COMPLETELY cleaned up a bit. The transfer looks fabulous!! Enjoy!! :crazed:

Turbowars
10-20-2003, 08:55 PM
Wow you guys liked it? I though it was crap. I disliked that black girl as the lead. She just wasn't believable. These modern horror films are not worth seeing in the theaters anymore. I'm a huge horror buff and nothing I have seen lives up to my expectations. Glad some liked it.

Hellboy
10-20-2003, 09:18 PM
Funny that you mention the cleaned up visuals JM Guyute because when I saw the DVD's commercial a few days ago on television I thought it looked clearer. I did like the grainy look however but in some scenes it didn't work well, especially the abandoned city streets when the camera pulled back it was to blurry to fully appreciate the scope. So I'm glad that got cleared up.

Turbowars-Do you like Zombie-Horror? Films like Night of the Living Dead or Dawn of the Dead? I can't see how anyone who is a fan of those type of films can find fault with this movie. I'm picky with my Horror movies as well but this film just plain delivers IMO like few others. Maybe a movie like Resident Evil is suited more towards your tastes. ;)

Turbowars
10-20-2003, 09:34 PM
Funny that you mention the cleaned up visuals JM Guyute because when I saw the DVD's commercial a few days ago on television I thought it looked clearer. I did like the grainy look however but in some scenes it didn't work well, especially the abandoned city streets when the camera pulled back it was to blurry to fully appreciate the scope. So I'm glad that got cleared up.

Turbowars-Do you like Zombie-Horror? Films like Night of the Living Dead or Dawn of the Dead? I can't see how anyone who is a fan of those type of films can find fault with this movie. I'm picky with my Horror movies as well but this film just plain delivers IMO like few others. Maybe a movie like Resident Evil is suited more towards your tastes. ;) I love Zombie movies and why would Resident Evil be more towards my taste? Milla maybe? LOL:evil: :p BTW I loved RS. I think it was because I have played all the games and of course Milla. I don't really know why I didn't like it much, maybe it was the English tone or that it was in England. I just couldn't get into it. Dawn of the Dead kicks major ***, I hope the new one is as good, but I doubt it. Maybe I'll rent it and see if I change my mind. It did give me the creeps though, especially when we find out the the Arm dudes just wanted the women for sex slaves.

Hellboy
10-20-2003, 10:08 PM
I've played and enjoyed all the RE games as well but thought the movie was awful. To me the movie was heavy on special effects and cheap scares but light on story, character developement, and any real sense of suspense. I wasn't surprised at any single time during this movie and felt it was very by the numbers and quite cliche at times. When I go to see a horror movie especially a zombie movie I want to be shocked and disturbed not watch Milla do some Matrix-like roundhouse kick in order to take down a zombie-dog. I guess I'm more into the psychological aspects of a horror film than the action scenes.

The fact that 28 days later takes place in England just makes it that much more original IMO. Sure if it took place somewhere like NYC you probably could've related to it more being from the states and all but how many times do we see our cities used as backdrops in movies. I'd like to see more movies filmed in this beautiful country.

Turbowars
10-20-2003, 10:26 PM
I've played and enjoyed all the RE games as well but thought the movie was awful. To me the movie was heavy on special effects and cheap scares but light on story, character developement, and any real sense of suspense. I wasn't surprised at any single time during this movie and felt it was very by the numbers and quite cliche at times. When I go to see a horror movie especially a zombie movie I want to be shocked and disturbed not watch Milla do some Matrix-like roundhouse kick in order to take down a zombie-dog. I guess I'm more into the psychological aspects of a horror film than the action scenes.

The fact that 28 days later takes place in England just makes it that much more original IMO. Sure if it took place somewhere like NYC you probably could've related to it more being from the states and all but how many times do we see our cities used as backdrops in movies. I'd like to see more movies filmed in this beautiful country.Thats cool, I respect that. The thing is, nothing Shocks or disturds me anymore, except rape scenes and animal torture. I like a good psychological film also. The kind that makes you think. I get a hint that saying I'd perfer RE makes me more of a simpleton. RE was fun and I got a kick out of it because of the game. I like all types of films, but I didn't care much for 28 days. Heck It could have been I wasn't in the mood to view it. Like I said I'll rent it.:)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-20-2003, 10:27 PM
I was somewhat disappointed by RE too. I mean, don't get me wrong, that's a good zombie flick, but what i loved about the Romero films as well as "28 days Later" were the complete psychological mind screws (to sub for a naughty word) that it delivered. I think the Romero Dead Trilogy and as well as "28 days later" is that it gives you a sense that this could possibly, though somewhat far fetched, really take place. Whereas, RE had some wacky action sequences and whatnot that kinda irked me. Don't get me wrong, i love that flick and watch it quite frequently and i'm very giddy for "Resident Evil: Apocalypse", but it didn't get me giving a damn about the characters at all. :D

Hellboy
10-21-2003, 10:57 PM
I get a hint that saying I'd perfer RE makes me more of a simpleton.

I wouldn't go that far turbo. Oops I forgot it's Turbo now with a capital "T" isn't it. ;) I appreciated the references to the games too and some of the movie was rather good but as a whole I felt let down because it didn't give me the same clostrophobic something could jump out at any time feeling that the games did. 28 days later did that for me and I found myself wondering how I would react if put in that situation. What would happen to my family and would survival be worth fighting for if our world as we know it came to an end. We all have different tastes in movies and I respect your opinion but I hope you give this film another try like you stated. :)

JM Guyute- I agree that RE Apocalypse does look promising.

Turbowars
10-21-2003, 11:03 PM
I wouldn't go that far turbo. Oops I forgot it's Turbo now with a capital "T" isn't it. ;) I appreciated the references to the games too and some of the movie was rather good but as a whole I felt let down because it didn't give me the same clostrophobic something could jump out at any time feeling that the games did. 28 days later did that for me and I found myself wondering how I would react if put in that situation. What would happen to my family and would survival be worth fighting for if our world as we know it came to an end. We all have different tastes in movies and I respect your opinion but I hope you give this film another try like you stated. :)

JM Guyute- I agree that RE Apocolypse does look promising.Hell yeah you forgot! Ok then, what did you mean?:confused: :)

Hellboy
10-22-2003, 12:25 AM
I wasn't trying to imply that liking RE makes anyone a simpleton. I just personally find this movie to be lacking in comparison. It only means we expect different things from our horror movies thats all. :)

Dr Zoltar
10-22-2003, 01:19 AM
Would someone mind posting what the alternate endings on the DVD are?

Hellboy
10-22-2003, 01:45 AM
I plan on watching it tomorrow Dr. Z.
Unless someone beats me to the punch I'll post what the 3 alternate endings contain. :)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-22-2003, 07:47 AM
heheheheheehehe Ok, as far as i've found, the 3 endings INCLUDES the ending that is actually in the film. So, there are 2 other endings and then the one in the film. The rest of my paragraph contains SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS so, if you've wandered in here by accident, you've been warned, again!

1. The first ending takes place after Jim has been shot. It shows the group speeding along attempting to find a hospital. they end up finding one and breaking in, speeding Jim along on a stretcher. They get him into a room and start rummaging around, looking for things to patch Jim up, but it's no use for Jim is dead. Selena pounds on his chest and tries to revive him and it's actually a pretty moving scene, in my opinion. After a while, Hannah just tells her it's hopeless and she gives up. They both start crying and whatnot, but Hannah asks what are they going to do and Selena says something like "We move on" or something like that. They both wield a gun and take off down the hallway of the hopsital, the end.

2. The second ending shows much more of the countryside where they escape to. They show Selena on the sewing machine and she's talking to some unseen person about Jim, I believe and they cut to who she's talking to, and it's a chicken! She kinda says something to it and then give this half smile, so you know Jim is dead in this one too. the rest of it follows the ending as they pull out that last later to spell "Hello" to the plane flying over. The end.

But, if i'm just overlooking another ending, let me know, but i couldn't find it. cheers! :D

Hellboy
10-22-2003, 05:50 PM
Ah it seems you have yet to find the 3rd alternate ending. :evil: It's a narrated storyboard version.

It's an Easter Egg and not listed on the alternative version menu but if you push the up arrow on the cursor, it disappears, then push enter. You will now be taken to the menu for the 3rd radical alternative version. :eek:

Enjoy

Anakin2121
11-01-2003, 09:33 AM
The third, radical ending is my favorite one.

I bought the DVD a few days ago and watched it last night. Wasn't scared at all. To date, Alien is still the only movie that has ever truly scared me.

28 Days Later? I'm not sure what to think. Act 1 of the film, with Jim walking around the abandoned London, and meeting up with Selena and Mark was definitely the coolest part of the film, in my opinion. I thought Selena killing Mark was one of the most ludicrous things I've ever seen. She cuts off his arm to try and stop the infection, and then kills him anyway. He was a big, built guy, and Selena, who looked about a hundred pounds lighter than he was, was easily able to overpower him and kill him with the machete. :rolleyes:

Act 2 (the whole "road trip" thing) wasn't too shabby either. It was nice to see the characters bond and to see a few lighthearted moments in this movie.

Act 3 (the soldiers), in my opinion, was the weakest part of the film. Let's not forget all the ludicrous plot holes. The soldiers all seemed reasonable at first, and were able to hold their own against the swarm of Infected that ran across the lawn. Then all of a sudden they bring up this "the soldiers are all evil rapists" thing and Jim gets a rifle butt to the face. Then West looks at Jim and says something like, "You still have a chance to be with us," or something, and Jim says, "Okay," and then they still take Jim and Farrell off to be executed anyway! Why were either of them to be killed? And why didn't they show what happened to Farrell? And why the hell did Jones appear to shoot Mitchell in that scene?
And basically, once Jim was running around with his shirt off, it all went downhill for me. I didn't like him freeing Mailer, and I didn't like how all the soldiers got their asses handed to them by just one guy, Mailer, when a few minutes earlier they had no trouble destroying a wave of DOZENS of Infected. And then it turned into something like out of Rambo or the end of Apocalypse Now. Jim RUTHLESSLY kills Jones with a bayonet -- that scene really disturbed me. And then, Jim, a scrawny little unexperienced bicycle courier, all of a sudden has absolutely no trouble evading all the Infected and effortlessly kills numerous trained soldiers with GUNS that realistically would be a lot stronger than he is.
Although now that I think about it, I'm sure they must have been really LOUSY soldiers. The whole bit with Jones wearing the apron seemed a bit "iffy" for me, and when Jones saw Mailer running at him, he just fires into the air and runs away. And Mitchell acted like this big tough guy but turned out to be a serious pansy when Jim effortlessly smashes his head into a brick wall and then shoves his thumbs into his eyes. Any REAL soldier worth their salt would have either shot Jim the second he came into the room, or, if Jim was "too fast" to be shot and he attacked the soldier, the soldier could just tackle Jim and freakin' stab him! Like I said before, it was just infuriating, and I also don't like it whenever a movie portrays the military negatively.
And let's not forget the plot holes. They talk about how long it takes the Infected to starve and things like that, but what did they actually eat? They certainly didn't eat people. Whenever an Infected attacked someone, they would just punch them a few times and then vomit in their face and then that person would become infected as well.
And they also didn't bother to explain what the purpose was of the "rage" virus, and why they were testing it out on chimps in the first place. :rolleyes:

Other than that, though, it wasn't a bad film. :p :)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-01-2003, 10:56 AM
Hellboy- thanks for letting me know about that!! I must've been blind to not see the HUGE FREAKIN' arrow at the bottom of the screen pointing me to it!! That ending was freakin' AWESOME!!!! I loved how they stopped it at that one part and were like "how in the f--- could we sell the idea of a full blood transfussion??" That ending was just crazy and definately would've been awesome too see. Shame they didn't shoot it at least, i would've loved to watch that scene where Jim is telling "James" his life story; the storyboards for that scene were hilarious. "and then i asked her out a third time, and she said yes!!!"..."I suppose she was my favorite teacher..and i think i was her favorite pupil as well." That scene would've been great!! :crazed:

Anakin- sorry you didn't enjoy the film as much as the rest of us. For me, i don't think i ever actually trusted the soldiers. For some reason, when they wheeling around in Franks old car just gave me an idea that these guys weren't alright in the head. as for the scene w/ him and farrell, Jones shot farrell when Mitchell was going to stab him and that's when Mitchell tackled Jones and the had their little fight while Jim "ran off." I loved that whole scene because it shows that Jim, while he might be scrawny and whatnot, was much more intelligent than the soldiers. Plus, i don't believe that Jim singlehandely killed everbody. He killed the one soldier at the blockade and pretty much let Mailer kill a few guys, which lead to more killing and whatnot. Mailer got the guy in the window, which lead to two infected, and the other guy ran off with the women while the other guy didn't have any ammo and Jones hid in the kitchen. Jim only killed three: the guy at the blockage, Jones and Mitchell and all three seemed reasonable to me. Plus, i think the movie portrays that these soldiers were alright when it came to shooting the infected from a distance but when they were running around in the house, the soldiers obviously panicked. One of my favorite elements of that last stretch is watching Jim turn into a ruthless killer. At first he doesn't agree with the killing and eventually he has to. I absolutely love how he disposes of Jones and just kinda stares there, emotionless and looks at him and leaves him be. The scene where he jams his thumbs in Mitchells' eyes was just fantastic.

as for the scene w/ Selena and Mark, i don't know why it doesn't seem credible to you. Mark really wasn't defending himself and anybody who isn't defending themself against an attack is going to get their can whooped, regardless of their size. He just kinda sat there while she killed him.

But, you said you don't like movies portraying the military poorly and yadda yadda, so no amount of my comments is going to change your mind. :D Cheers!

Anakin2121
11-01-2003, 07:01 PM
I absolutely love how he disposes of Jones and just kinda stares there, emotionless and looks at him and leaves him be. The scene where he jams his thumbs in Mitchells' eyes was just fantastic.

I disagree. I still think Mitchell should have been able to overpower Jim. And I didn't like how he basically murdered Jones. Jones hadn't messed with the girls, hadn't messed with Jim, and was only trying to escape, and Jim ruthlessly impaling Jones really makes him no better than all the rapists.

Tonysmo
11-02-2003, 04:50 AM
saw the dvd last night. Im torn. I mean, it was enjoyable. but overall - it wasnt scary, it didnt really do to much for me. Some of it was downright insane. Looked as if the guy in the store with the chick may have cut himself.. and she slautered him. ( note to self - never hang with chick holding machette ). I guess it could have been alot more. when I think about the movie. I think about how they did The Stand (SK) and how much more I enjoyed that. I guess the way it eneded ( only saw the one ending with all three - defult ending I spose.. ) I didnt like it ( the ending. ) anyhow.. I feel the Ring was much much better - scary wise anyway. Ill give this ** out of *****. just my take. Maybe had they shown the infected more, or what they ate..

Anakin2121
11-02-2003, 09:15 AM
saw the dvd last night. Im torn. I mean, it was enjoyable. but overall - it wasnt scary, it didnt really do to much for me. Some of it was downright insane. Looked as if the guy in the store with the chick may have cut himself.. and she slautered him. ( note to self - never hang with chick holding machette ). I guess it could have been alot more. when I think about the movie. I think about how they did The Stand (SK) and how much more I enjoyed that. I guess the way it eneded ( only saw the one ending with all three - defult ending I spose.. ) I didnt like it ( the ending. ) anyhow.. I feel the Ring was much much better - scary wise anyway. Ill give this ** out of *****. just my take. Maybe had they shown the infected more, or what they ate..

I'll agree with some of this, but I don't think 28 Days was THAT bad. I just didn't like the way the soldiers got their asses handed to them so easily.
And I would like to see what the infected actually ate. Maybe rats? The rats were running from them in the tunnel scene.

The Ring did not scare me, but, it definitely had a few creepy, gruesome, or otherwise disturbing moments (like when they showed what was on the tape and you saw fingernails being torn off and stuff like that).

James Boba Fettfield
11-02-2003, 12:34 PM
People still get scared by movies? If I rated movies that way, I'd hate a lot of the horror films I love.

Hellboy
11-02-2003, 12:40 PM
I disagree. I still think Mitchell should have been able to overpower Jim. And I didn't like how he basically murdered Jones. Jones hadn't messed with the girls, hadn't messed with Jim, and was only trying to escape, and Jim ruthlessly impaling Jones really makes him no better than all the rapists.

Jones might not have messed with the girls but he sure wasn't opposed to whatever they were planning so in my book that makes him guilty by association. As far as Jones not messing w/ Jim thats insane. He and Mitchell marched the guy out into the woods to be executed and the only reason Jones was later trying to escape was because he was a coward not because he didn't want to kill anyone. Jim's actions just show that he knew it was necessary to tap into his inner rage in order for him and the girls to have a chance to come out of this alive. The fact that the soldiers went down the way they did just shows how overconfident they had become.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-21-2004, 07:55 PM
I saw this at BD and nearly pooped myself.

Variety writes:
Fox Searchlight is putting together a sequel to "28 Days Later," the stylish Danny Boyle-directed horror film that became a sleeper fall hit in 2002.

While the studio would confirm only that a sequel is in the works, sources said the tentative title is "28 Weeks Later" and that the studio is circling Rowan Joffe to write the script.

Joffe, son of "The Killing Fields" director Roland Joffe, co-wrote the BBC pic "Last Resort."

Boyle is not expected to direct the sequel, though he and screenwriter Alex Garland likely will take producing roles alongside the first pic's producer, Andrew Macdonald.

The low-budget original concerned a virus-driven plague that wiped out most of England and left a handful of survivors fleeing from rage-filled murderous zombies. It grossed $45 million in the U.S. and north of $25 million overseas.

Star Cillian Murphy now is playing the villainous Scarecrow in pic "Batman Begins," directed by Christopher Nolan.

I dunno, this could either be one of two things: incredibly good or horribly bad. I'd like to know what happened, but part of me DOESN'T want to know what happened. I'll report as i hear more. :D

Kidhuman
06-21-2004, 11:01 PM
Yeah a sequel is not in the plans for this movie. Bad move IMO.

2-1B
06-22-2004, 01:30 AM
Might as well do a sequel, it's not like they would be tarnishing its predecessor. Yawn.

Hellboy
06-22-2004, 06:20 PM
A sequel :eek:

I've often pondered the idea and think it could be done and done well. I'd rather see a new set of characters dealing with the spread of the virus in another part of the world than a continuation of the first film though. I was pretty satisfied with the way 28 days later ended.

Hopefully Danny Boyle will change his mind and direct but either way I'm still very excited about this new development.

Thanks for the news Guyute, even if we're the only 2 who are interested. ;)