PDA

View Full Version : After Vintage, before Neo-Classic there was Bend-ems! Any collection those

Banky
06-29-2003, 10:19 AM
About a year or so before Hasbro started a new Star Wars like Just Toys did a Bend-ems line. the figures were DUMB but at the time it was the only Star Wars toys you could get. Did anyone get them? I have them all, and some box sets. Wish now I got that redone Vader case for them. Then I would have every thing the Just Toys did.
They look really bad, some of them, a few are cool. Like the Boba Fett.

evenflow
06-29-2003, 12:33 PM
I never liked so i had passed. I remember that some of them came with coins, much like the old POTF coins. It was a 3 coin set, so i ended up buying those three coins off of some guy so i wouldnt have to buy the figures.

Exhaust Port
06-29-2003, 01:40 PM
I think I have a Bend-ems Chewbacca floating around some where. Is that part of this series?

Deoxyribonucleic
06-29-2003, 02:59 PM
I had some of them (YUCKA!) and just gave them away to my friend's little nephew who will open them and have a good time playing so that suits me just fine...I got tired of them taking up space in my continually growing starwars storage and just wanted them GONE!

To this day, I still have no idea what possessed me to buy them :confused:

LusiferSam
06-29-2003, 03:07 PM
I wanted to buy them until I got a good look at them. The Bespin Luke turned me off the most. I thought he most god offal figure I had seen. But my story has a happy ending as I never did waste the money them.

Banthaholic
07-11-2003, 09:10 PM
I bought all of them, and loved them and still do.

People looking at them now think they are horrid. Although that was back in the early 90's. There wasn't a SW section in stores. We had Zahn novels, Nintendo/computer SW games, and a few Dark Horse comics.

When Bend Ems hit stores, it was awesome. While they aren't the greatest. It still was a SW item in the stores and created a tiny SW section in the toy department.

The only problem I have with them now is a few of my gift packs seemed to have yellowed (which I here is common with the line).

Banky
07-13-2003, 07:55 PM
With everone else hating them I am glad I got them all. in 20years they will be the lost toys that no one has.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-14-2003, 02:41 AM
Well, it's already been ten years and still most people don't want them. ;) (just playin' with ya)

I seriously couldn't give them away, except to a 5 year old boy, not even on SSG!

:eek: :crazed: :)

Macross90210
09-26-2003, 02:48 PM
I have all except the Boba Fett & Luke X-Wing. OK things. Not the best but they were cool at the time. The Ackbar and Royal Guard are my favorites.

Billy_Dee_Binks
09-29-2003, 11:40 AM
I remember my very first Star Wars item was a Bend-Žem C-3PO
I got in Italy back then. Or course there his name wasn`t 3PO.
I also remember my older cousine asking why I didnŽt buy R2 instead since she liked him better (I got in SW because of C-3PO, I thought he looked cool). Anyway, in 1998 I bought the ROTJ giftpack because of Boba Fett.

Today I think these figures are silly. I only like 3PO because of the sentimental value.

P.S.: How bendable is R2?

Jaff
10-01-2003, 09:53 PM
I got a few of these back in early 1994 for my 1 year old niece. I was not too impressed with them, but I did want to pass on my love for SW to her, and she loved them. After I bought these they caused my nastalgia button to go into orbit. As a result I started watching SW films daily, and I just sold my car to re-buy the entire vintage SW figure collection. Yes I'm not kidding, I was a live in nanny at this time, so what did I need a car for. Besides SW figures are more important!!!! :crazed:

My priorities have changed a little since then I think!

tagmac
10-05-2003, 10:14 AM
I have all of them except Boba Fett and X-Wing Luke. I never did find these anywhere, and even heard rumors that they were only produced for the picture on the back of the cards. I never did see this ROTJ gift set that you say had Fett in it.

At the time, I remember going to TRU every day in search of the figs I was missing...don't know what possessed me to buy these, other than the fact that they were the only SW toys available at the time, besides the Micro Machines.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-05-2003, 04:28 PM
I have all of them except Boba Fett and X-Wing Luke. I never did find these anywhere, and even heard rumors that they were only produced for the picture on the back of the cards. I never did see this ROTJ gift set that you say had Fett in it.

At the time, I remember going to TRU every day in search of the figs I was missing...don't know what possessed me to buy these, other than the fact that they were the only SW toys available at the time, besides the Micro Machines.
I recall seeing both of them, so I'd say, yes, they were produced. And I, too, remember the days of no SW merchandise on the shelves. Good thing that it never happened again! ;) :p

Banthaholic
10-13-2003, 01:27 AM
Related to Bend Me's check out this decription on this ebay auction http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3148992610&category=751
'Unopened 1993 Bend-Ems 4 Piece Gift Set. This set includes: The Emperor, R2-D2, Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader(Lukes Father). The trading cards in this set have fallen down in the plastic but other than that the package is in fine condition, price tag affixed in upper right corner. With this set you could reinact the second to last scene from Return of the Jedi. You know, Emperor zaps luke. Luke crys. Darth grabs Emperor and hucks him down a hole. Luke drags his dead dad off and burns him. What fun. (children: be sure and ask an adult before burning your toys!) '

Dangit, now he spoiled the whole movie for me! Vader is Luke's dad, what? ;) Oh well I guess things are more funny when your browsing half awake at 1 am.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-14-2003, 07:22 PM
This set includes: The Emperor, R2-D2, Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader(Lukes Father). The trading cards in this set have fallen down in the plastic but other than that the package is in fine condition, price tag affixed in upper right corner. With this set you could reinact the second to last scene from Return of the Jedi.
I don't remember R2 in that scene, unless he was keeping Palpatine charged for his Force lighning storm. :p Actually, the seller was being polite, since there is a Darth Vader(Han's Father) error figure. :rolleyes: Also, a bendable R2-D2 doesn't seem to do very much for me; what can you do with it?

Banthaholic
10-14-2003, 11:54 PM
Actually, the seller was being polite, since there is a Darth Vader(Han's Father) error figure.
I never heard of this variation, thanks for the tidbit BCJ, I tell you there's something to learn about collecting every day.

Banthaholic
12-02-2003, 01:26 AM

I was lucky to be able to find the Fett back in the day, although I never saw Luke x-wing. I've been watching for this one on ebay for some time, and finally it came up last week, and I was able to win it. I got it today in the mail, so I can say it does exist. Although judging from watching ebay for months this figure prob wasn't widely produced.

Now I just got to get me the Darth Bend Ems Case...

Jayspawn
12-05-2003, 11:30 PM
Haha, I forgot all about the Bund-Ums figures. There was a whole bunch of them made too. I have Yoda still in the package but hes so short he wouldnt be able to bund anyways. I passed on the majority becase they were too cheap looking and I wasnt wild about the floppy lightsabers that Luke, Ben and Vader had.