PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know why the Destroyer Droids have the hand mistake?

JediTricks
06-30-2003, 12:14 AM
As per what I wrote in the SSG news (http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=ssnews2.setup&category=starwars&topic=35&show_article=8) on Friday night, the Clone Wars Droid multipacks (Droid Army & Droideka Battle Launcher) have a Destroyer Droid figure that has hands with the wrong orientation (vertical instead of horizontal). At first my guess was that this was to accomodate packaging restrictions, but the figure has shoulders that allow the arms to move inward which would accomodate this, and the Droid Army set has the Destroyer Droid at an angle so it's not even trying to minimize the amount of space it's taking up. So, anybody know what the deal is here?

LTBasker
06-30-2003, 12:27 AM
I've been wondering this since we first saw the pics of them. It's crazy.. I'm guessing they may have wanted to do something more visually different from the disappointing Saga Droideka. That's really the only thing I can figure aside from a miscommunication happening, but that's highly doubtful. You gotta think though that if they really wanted to change to appearances some, why didn't they turn the hand on the Super Battle Droid? There's obviously a significant reason behind it as the turrets do looked jointed so a modification in the arm mold would've been needed for the joint.

Perhaps they have something planned with a basic carded rerelease of the Droideka in that mold, but to make it appear new they'll correct the turret hands.

JEDIpartner
06-30-2003, 01:54 PM
Well... correct or incorrect I'm still diggin' these over the lackluster "Popeye arms" SAGA version. You know that Hasblah doesn't REALLY pay attention to detail so this sort of thing doesn't surprise me. Although, it may have even been a case where it was easier to mould a single piece in this configuration as opposed to the proper firing configuration.

JediTricks
07-01-2003, 02:49 AM
I'd think that if they had been so careful on this design issue previously, that they'd continue to do so here. But as for it being a single-piece mold issue, that does make some sense since this piece of the arm appears to be the same width from tip to shoulder. Still, I would rather have the proper look than the easy design, it's an $11 toy after all.

Oh, and the hands on the SBD should be on pin hinges to rotate around like the deluxe Yoda version has all the time.

mista_carrot
07-01-2003, 06:04 AM
Hasbro has cut corners on all of these figures, so to me it makes sense that the reason for the incorrect position of the guns is precisely because added articulation or a more complex mold would have upped the cost of the figure. I just wrote a review for this set and the clone trooper set and I've become keenly aware of Hasbro's cost cutting techniques for these figures. ;)

For ten bucks it's pretty much what I expect; we usually get two crappy/below-average figures and some accessories for ten dollars, and now we are getting three crappy/average figures and almost no accessories for the same price. Don't get me wrong, I like these 3-packs, but if these figures were carded alone they would be pretty craptacular by today's standards, don't you think?

JEDIpartner
07-01-2003, 09:20 AM
Absolutely... I think these sets are really just meant to bulk up collections/dioramas. Being part of a three-pack, again, I really don't have much of a problem with these. It seems that people are having a problem getting past what they are not and moving on to what they are...

tgr3328
07-01-2003, 10:19 AM
Since the firing meachanism is glued to the droid's hands, you can pry it off without hurting the droid if you are careful. Then you will have a destroyer droid without the silly action feature. The blast effect might even fit in another weapon, like the Clone pilot laser or Jango's jet pack. If you have regrets, you can always glue it back in.

JediTricks
07-01-2003, 06:38 PM
It seems that people are having a problem getting past what they are not and moving on to what they are...IMO, they are too expensive. If these 3 lower-quality figs were like $7 a pack, then it'd be worth it, but considering all the recent SW sales and the lesser quality of these toys to those, I don't think Hasbro has the right to complain about the mold being made more complicated by properly-oriented hands when they're charging so much for these sets.

JEDIpartner
07-02-2003, 08:46 AM
IMO, they are too expensive. If these 3 lower-quality figs were like $7 a pack, then it'd be worth it...

I suppose I could go with you on that to a certain degree but I don't think $3.33 per figure is too far out of line. About a month ago, I was talking with someone in the toy biz about manufacturing costs and was told that the most expensive part of many toys is the packaging (blisters and cards). Sadly that cost is passed onto the consumer. It's possible that, if people weren't so card crazy, Hasblah could have put these on front only cards and dropped the price to $7/set.

As it stands I read (on GH) that a more articulated Clone Trooper is in the works. Hasblah also plans to reissue the red Clone Trooper without the rank colour applied to the figure. That should help people bulk up their armies with "proper" figures. I guess it's just a matter of waiting it out.

JediTricks
07-03-2003, 02:27 AM
About a month ago, I was talking with someone in the toy biz about manufacturing costs and was told that the most expensive part of many toys is the packaging (blisters and cards). Honestly, I've never heard that, maybe this person meant "ounce for ounce, they cost more" but I can't imagine the cards & bubbles costing Hasbro as much as the figs (which don't cost them that much either). If the packaging is really costing so much, this would reinforce my "these multipacks cost too much" theory since it's only 1 package for all 3 figures. However, Hasbro certainly doesn't need this level of die-cut cards or billions of twisty ties and could save a few bucks there.

JangoFart
07-03-2003, 12:34 PM
To top it off, these cards are decently smaller than all other deluxe lines. So, they saved a little scratch there :)

J

plo koon 200
07-09-2003, 11:50 AM
They are smaller and I think that is a good thing. JEDIPartner is right. The cost of packaging averages out to be about 40-60% the cost of a toy and sometimes 80% for vehicles! It is not just the manufacturing of the card and bubble that cost money but the overall design process. That is why for POTJ the cards were generic. Because they could not sell as many toys on a off year. So, they spent less money on the card design. Another costly part of the toy packaging is the part that holds the figure. The bubble like material inbetween the bubble and the card. The reason why that cost so much is because it has to be designed to hold the individual figure. I hope this sheds some light for some of you.

JediTricks
07-09-2003, 08:34 PM
Yeah, but not on why these CW 3packs cost so much. They're saving on packaging costs by putting 3 figs in one package, they're saving on figure manufacturing costs too, so why are these $11?

tkdmatthew
07-10-2003, 12:30 PM
just wanted to let people know i just spent only $10.50 on 5 Super battle droids from the first release at KayB toy store in the mall. I'll keep lookin there for my army builders instead of wasting my money on figures i can hardly pose. I Hope you can find some too, and get some quality figures.

Jargo
07-21-2003, 08:37 AM
I'm not remotely interested in the new droideka. I'll buy the rolled up one just so i have a few scattered about but the actual standing droideka will be customised into a burned out batle blasted wreck because that's all it's worthy of. I won't be buying the droid three pack. I'm done with battle droids now. Droidekas and super batle droids are alright but I don't need a million of them. I'll save my money for the hailfire droid i think.

jedi master sal
07-21-2003, 11:55 AM
I'm not remotely interested in the new droideka. I'll buy the rolled up one just so i have a few scattered about but the actual standing droideka will be customised into a burned out batle blasted wreck because that's all it's worthy of. I won't be buying the droid three pack. I'm done with battle droids now. Droidekas and super batle droids are alright but I don't need a million of them. I'll save my money for the hailfire droid i think.

Hey, EJ, have ou seen my rant on these guys too?

Here's the link-along with some other potentially disturbing news...

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?p=266701

I totally agree that "we don't need no stinkin' destroyer droids" (to paraphrase the famous movie quote).

Tycho
07-24-2003, 04:38 AM
I'm just going to chime in here for a second.

I got my first 2 droid 3-packs tonight.

I really like the quality. It's about what I expected.

I'd never known the BD split in 2 with a magnet like Mace's deluxe - only this one has peg holes in its feet.

The destroyer's fine. It could be slightly better, but on the whole the 3-packs pretty good.

On the Super Battle Droid, I would have liked it so that if they weren't going to include blast effects, it's wrist guns would at least accept the blast effects from other figures. That would have been nice, and I'm surprised they didn't realize that.

Overall, there's value in the 3 droid set. The launcher is sitting and will clog the pegs. Why they couldn't see that coming, I don't know either.

hango fett
08-09-2003, 09:09 AM
i just got the destroyer launcher yesterday and noticed that. it is pretty weird, but still works in a diorama.
h

OC47150
08-27-2003, 04:06 PM
I hadn't even noticed. I'll have to take a closer look.

I'm glad Hasbro went back to TPM destroyer droid mold. It looks meaner than the AOTC DD.

vulcantouch
10-02-2003, 12:00 AM
. . .but i'd rather not bother buying the rest of this crappy pak to get it, so if anyoen wants to trade me one check out my accessotrade thred (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8625) :)
vt

Billy_Dee_Binks
10-07-2003, 02:44 PM
A conversation between two Hasbro designers secretly recorded from a spy over at Hasbro:
Tom:What way is the DDīs gun supposed to glued. Vertical or horizontal? Ray?
Ray:Yeah?
Tom:Vertical or horizontal?
Ray: What?
Tom:The guns. I didnīt see that flick but you did, didnīt you, Ray?
Ray:What flick?
Tom:I think itīs called Space....no, STAR WARS. You saw that one, right?
Ray:..........No.
Tom:Oh well, screw this. Iīll just have to trust my urine as I always do. Letīs have him shoot vertical.
Ray: You do that.
Hasbro Speaker:
WORK! BREAKS ARE INEFFICENT! BIG H IS WATCHING YOU.