PDA

View Full Version : Post Padding. Yea or Nay?

keith koth
06-30-2003, 04:34 PM
With the implementation of the new forums format many people, I suspect, have had their "status" reduced. For example if you were a Jedi Knight, You may now be a Padawan again.

Do you feel slighted by this reduction in status? If so, has it changed your views on "post padding" so that you may regain your previous status? Does this change make anyone want to reply with 1 word responses in every open thread so that you can get your post count up.

Do you feel that your "status" is really important at all? Do you respect the views and opinions of the Jedi Knights, Jedi Masters, etc. more so than those with a Moisture Farmer or Padawan status?

Just curious! :)

Pendo
06-30-2003, 04:48 PM
The rankings are just for fun! I don't think it's anything to get your knickers in a twist with! You still have the same amount of posts, it's just that you have to have a few more posts to jump to another rank. No biggie!

Noone has post padded on these forums for a long time, a very long time. Please do not start encouraging people to start now!

PENDO!

keith koth
06-30-2003, 04:58 PM
The rankings are just for fun! I don't think it's anything to get your knickers in a twist with! You still have the same amount of posts, it's just that you have to have a few more posts to jump to another rank. No biggie!

Noone has post padded on these forums for a long time, a very long time. Please do not start encouraging people to start now!

PENDO!

No encouragement whatsoever from me...I frown :( upon post padding.

I'm just curious what others here thought on the topic.

JON9000
06-30-2003, 08:14 PM
It's boring to read pads. No insight. I am definitely against, in spite of my being back to level one. It must take a bazillion posts to move up now.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-30-2003, 10:08 PM
I am not sure if bringing back the post count by the user's screenname is not such a good idea. Remember the reason that it was moved to the profile screen? It was because we had a rash of post padders spew their junk on the forums just to up their count and increase their rank. With the new forums and rankings, I am thinking that this troublesome situation will only increase. I thought putting them on the profile screen was an effective compromise. Only time will tell if this will become a problem.

Kidhuman
06-30-2003, 10:35 PM
I like the rank system for fun, not for anything else. I dont care how many posts I have because I enjoy talking about this hobby with many great people on the board. There will be times that I will post more in the Misc. section than others, and those posts do not count. So if you post pad, I could care less. Ranks are for fun, but a good post will stick with you for a while. A padawan could make a better post than JJB and JJb has 8000 more posts than them. It is all about knowledge and insight to the hobby, not about who is a knight, or padawan.

2-1B
07-01-2003, 12:02 AM
I'm just miffed that Pendo! has a lightsaber under his name while I don't. :mad:

:crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

"feel slighted?" nah, if someone feels slighted on an internet message board, I think he or she has bigger problems to worry about. :crazed:

JediTricks
07-01-2003, 02:08 AM
It's boring to read pads. No insight. I am definitely against, in spite of my being back to level one. It must take a bazillion posts to move up now. Er... you're level 3, and the counts are roughly similar to the previous version. Other than that, I agree, post-pads are lame and should be discouraged. The ranks are about fun and should be taken lightly... except for the Senatorial staff. :D

BTW, if padding becomes a problem, I think we can remove the post counts on the threads again.

scruffziller
07-01-2003, 09:51 AM
So how does the new system work?

Deoxyribonucleic
07-01-2003, 03:53 PM
I did notice that you have to have more than 10 characters in a post now, that's kinda cool but sometimes it's appropriate to just post a "face icon" in reply to some posts...it can turn out extremely funny!

I really never thought of post padding before though except for the servers point of view that it does waste valuable "space" on the ol HDD!

:)

InsaneJediGirl
07-02-2003, 06:45 AM
Its just a forum status name,Not the end of the world:)So no to post padding,its annoying.Why post once,then go and post another line?

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-02-2003, 10:15 AM
Just to add to my earlier post on the subject--the reputation points are a good idea in the case regarding post padding. If we do feel someone is a post padder, we can always give them a negative point and shame them into correcting the error of their ways. That was something I really didn't really consider until after I posted. :)

Jargo
07-02-2003, 11:11 AM
If you use the post count as a barometer of how much of a blabber mouth you're being like I do it's a great way of having a self buffer that says WOAH BOY! and then you can moderate your posting habits a bit. I was yammering away at one point and saw my post count leap so I pulled back. This is a message board not a chat room. Posting six gazillion times in one thread is massively excessive. And just posting to agree with someone and not adding anything else to the conversation is annoying.
The ranks are cool, I shall keep plodding away in the hopes of one day being an emperor but I'm not in any hurry. I prefer to have the post count in the post rather than have to hunt for it in my profile.
The reputation thing was fun for about five minutes but i can't see myself using it much. Feel free to rate me though. That's funny to see when someone negatively rates you because you can see what they thought was poo that you wrote. I write a lot of poo, but I write a lot that makes sense too. at least to me. I'd be interested to find out what other people think of my ranting and rambling. :cool:

Exhaust Port
07-02-2003, 11:40 AM
check your reputation now. :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-02-2003, 01:05 PM
Ah, a post about post padding. Odds are, a majority of these posts are referring to this topic, and thus, are padding themselves. Irony is a beautiful thing. :D

Also, how ARE all thse people getting those sabers under their names?!?! I want one!! :)

The Overlord Returns
07-02-2003, 02:23 PM
I still think it'd be cool if we could create our own forum title, like on Figures......

Exhaust Port
07-02-2003, 03:11 PM
That would be cool. Either we join a Usergroup and get the assigned titles with the associated lightsaber or blaster OR we can just make up our own.

JediTricks
07-03-2003, 12:12 AM
I still think it'd be cool if we could create our own forum title, like on Figures......
Actually, Kell does that for you, but I see what you mean.

The Overlord Returns
07-03-2003, 10:32 AM
Actually, Kell does that for you, but I see what you mean.

Well yeah, he makes it happen....but we get to choose it.......bah...you know what I mean.