PDA

View Full Version : Wave by Wave, favorite 12" figure survey

Tycho
07-01-2003, 02:58 AM
OK, somebody in the Saga thread asked for a thread like this to discuss 12".

I'm a little shakier on remembering the waves, but I'm also going to try and get about 5-8 in each poll.

Next, I'll probably move on after about 10 votes, since about 20 folks are interested in rating the 3 3/4" figures, and I know there's less of us 12" collectors.

I'll remember to do exclusives, but try to group them by year, and maybe in between the major changes from Collectors' Editions to Action Collection or whatever. We'll play it by ear.

Let me start it, and you guys remind me if I skip any non-exclusive figures.

So which is your favorite figure from amongst:

Han Solo
Luke Skywalker
Darth Vader
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Tusken Raider (gaderffi stick)
Tusken Raider (Imperial blaster)
Lando Calrissian
Luke Bespin Fatigues

I have to say old Obi-Wan Kenobi. He really looks like Sir Alec Guiness and he had great detail to his clothing, and still stands up to the most recent figures (even better than many of them).

Ook
07-01-2003, 03:38 AM
These are the early ones, right? That's the first Vader?

Then definitely the Tusken Raider. That was one of the first really great ones. In fact, it's the first to move me to actually buy a 12"; it's the first I got. It's overall look is beautiful.

Exhaust Port
07-01-2003, 07:28 AM
Lando!!! Colt 45, works everytime.

Beast
07-01-2003, 07:48 AM
Gotta agree with Obi-Wan Kenobi. He's one of the few early figures that live up to current 12" figures. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

gtrain29
07-01-2003, 05:19 PM
That's a tough one. I'll take the Tusken Raider only because the Obi-Wan had brown eyes! Although that was easy to fix and makes him look awesome.

dr_evazan22
07-03-2003, 12:31 AM
I'll go w/ Obi also.

JediTricks
07-03-2003, 02:20 AM
Luke Bespin, once his collar is properly turned up. Obi-Wan is a close second, but Bespin Luke has a good look, I think this fig even comes with his undershirt, right? IIRC he does, which makes him Luke Dagobah as well. Face ain't great, but overall fig is a winner IMO.

BTW, aren't these choices actually 2 waves and not just 1?

mm74md
07-03-2003, 01:41 PM
Tusken Raider (gaderffi stick)

bobafrett
07-04-2003, 12:54 AM
Torn between the Tusken Raider and the Gammorean Gaurd.

Tycho
07-04-2003, 01:09 AM
Torn between the Tusken Raider and the Gammorean Gaurd.

You were only voting amongst the first 8 figures, we're a long ways away from voting on the Gamorrean or exclusives, etc.

In case we don't have more misuderstanding, Let's vote on the favorite of the next group now:

choose your favorite amongst these only:

Princess Leia
Stormtrooper
Luke Skywalker X-wing Pilot
Boba Fett
Chewbacca
C-3PO
Admiral Ackbar
TIE Pilot

I'm going to have to go with Luke X-wing on this one! I got a lot of effort put into my figure's accessories with his flightsuit and helmet with working visor, etc. His hair color was painted more realistically, too - not that Billy Idol yellow hair that plagued the earlier Lukes, but rather a real blonde hair color on a pretty decent sculpt.

bobafrett
07-04-2003, 01:30 AM
You were only voting amongst the first 8 figures, we're a long ways away from voting on the Gamorrean or exclusives, etc.

Sorry there Tycho, I read that just after I posted. I was wondering why there were so many votes for the Tusken out of all the 12" figures made, so I went back and read your orginal post over again.

Okay, out of the second selection, I'll go with the Stormtrooper. I have a thing for the Stormies.

TheDarthVader
07-04-2003, 01:41 AM
1st vote- Kenobi great likeness, pose, paint, etc
2nd vote- Boba Fett- great figure all around

anirbas12
07-04-2003, 02:42 AM
First Vote: Obi Wan Kenobi
Second Vote: Admiral Ackbar

Besides the face sculpts, the vote for the above figures are for overall head and body proportion, and of course the quality of the costumes.

Anyway, Tycho, thanks for starting this thread. :happy:

Cos i'm a huge fan of 12" hahaha and it was getting kinda "slow" here cos of the lack of active 12" collectors.

Ook
07-04-2003, 08:32 AM
My personal fave from this list is Ackbar. Not that he's necessarily the most accurate or best all-around figure (his upper arms are caucasian for God's sake...). I just like him. I'm partial to aliens. :)

The Stormtrooper's the biggest piece of crap on that list.

Jaff
07-04-2003, 10:04 AM
1st voting would be Lando Calrissian hands down. What a 12", even stands up to the newest 12". The Tusken was a close 2nd.
2nd voting group is very tough. Between the TIE Pilot and Admiral Ackbar I'd have to say Ackbar. He's just so unique. I'm always gazing at my Ackbar over my TIE pilot reguarly.

gtrain29
07-04-2003, 03:45 PM
2nd group:
The Ackbar is a great figure, but I'm going to have to pick the Leia. I guess because that's the only release of the ANH Leia, and compared to all these barbie doll imitations, it is a great figure.

JediTricks
07-04-2003, 05:20 PM
Luke X-wing, no question. This fig is so well detailed that it even has a galactic map and removable encoders.

Oh, and didn't the Tusken w/ gaffi stick come out in the wave 4 case or something?

The True Maul
07-04-2003, 08:31 PM
Obi Wan Kenobi great figure by far.

2nd- Boba Fett great figure. :)

Tycho
07-06-2003, 06:19 PM
NEW GROUP: now which is your favorite out of these?

Yoda
Jawa
R2D2
Wicket
R5D4
R2D2 with tools

I have to say R2D2 with tools was a great little way to refresh this 6" figure and I wish I'd bought him. I'm still looking for a good deal for him today.

JediTricks
07-06-2003, 11:57 PM
R2 w/ tools, one of my favorite SW figures of all time from any line. I liked the Jawa, Yoda, & R5-D4 as well, but R2 w/ tools is just a fantastic figure.

anirbas12
07-07-2003, 01:15 AM
Very difficult to make a good decision... if really have to make one, i think i will go for R2D2 with tools, cos it is one of my fav character from the movie and Kenner did a good job on it.

Ook
07-07-2003, 08:20 AM
Yoda owns this group as he owned Dooku.

The True Maul
07-07-2003, 12:40 PM
Yoda for me I have the Jawa but I never got or saw the others. :)

gtrain29
07-07-2003, 02:58 PM
I think I'll pick R5-D4 not only because it was a perfect figure, but also it was the only decent version of R5 ever made.
I loved all those little guys, though, and wish they would release waves of the 6" figs now and then -- I guess we're getting yoda & 2 more ewoks, finally.

One thing I really liked about the wicket was his leather headdress with real stitches. Much to my disappointment, it looks like the next ewoks have all plastic headdresses and are thus nothing more than large versions of the 3 3/4 action figs.

dr_evazan22
07-08-2003, 12:28 AM
From the 2nd choice, Luke X-Wing. I'm pretty sure this was the one that got me to start collecting the 12". I also don't have the Leia, Stormie or Chewie.

From this selection I'm going to go w/ plain old R2.

Jaff
07-08-2003, 05:03 PM
I'll have to go with R5-D4. This fig could not have been better and it did not come with a secret missle launcher :eek:

Deoxyribonucleic
07-08-2003, 05:18 PM
R5-D4 for me too, he's an extremely well done 12" droid, and again, who can EVER have enough droids???

NO ONE!

JediTricks
07-09-2003, 06:09 AM
From the 2nd choice, Luke X-Wing. I'm pretty sure this was the one that got me to start collecting the 12". Same here! :cool:

Tycho
07-12-2003, 08:41 AM
Well, we have less people participating here, so it's time to keep this thread moving.

Vote for your favorite from:

Sandtrooper (white pauldron)
Greedo
Luke Ceremony
Grand Moff Tarkin
Han Hoth
Luke Hoth
AT-AT Driver
Snowtrooper
Emperor Palpatine
Luke Jedi Knight
Chewbacca in Chains
Barquin 'Dan

These are the movie-by-movie single figure boxed waves, not the exclusives or the 2-pack or beast figures. (for example, this is not the Emperor that talks or the Han Hoth that comes with a TaunTaun).

I will vote for the AT-AT Driver since I like my Hoth Han to come with a TaunTaun, and the AT-AT Driver was just a great sculpt! The Sandtrooper and Greedo give him the most competition, but we have other sandtroopers and Greedo, though I'm grateful to have him, wasn't perfect! (but I still want a lot more cantina aliens for the 12" line!)

Kidhuman
07-12-2003, 09:10 AM
At-AT driver was the best looking one from them. Second would be the snowtrooper. I agree Tycho, I want more 12" cantina aliens and from Jabbas palace.

Exhaust Port
07-12-2003, 09:25 AM
AT-AT driver for me too. Nearly all of the other figures there were awful sculpts.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-12-2003, 09:51 AM
AT-AT Driver, I was so excited to get this one and he looks GREAT!

Ook
07-12-2003, 11:35 AM
I like Jedi Luke.

When I first saw pics of the first release (FAO w/ Bib), I was stunned at how much it actually looked like Hamill. It's the first sculpt I've ever thought looked like him. I have the single release, and he looks great.

Jaff
07-12-2003, 12:49 PM
No doubt: AT-AT Driver

dr_evazan22
07-12-2003, 05:45 PM
I'm going to buck the trend and go w/ the Snowtrooper. A great looking fig.

Turbowars
07-13-2003, 10:18 AM
How in the heck did i miss this thread? Anyways here's my vote from the top:
Tusken, Bespin Luke in 2nd
Luke X-Wing
R2 w/ Tools
AT-AT Driver, Snowtrooper is right behind him.

JediTricks
07-14-2003, 12:05 AM
Luke Jedi, best Luke likeness to date, fantastic lightsaber hilt accessory. Clothing was better in the 2pack version though.

Snowtrooper is a close second.

gtrain29
07-14-2003, 06:10 PM
Snowtrooper for me. IMO it's still one of the best 12" figures ever made.

jedi master sal
07-16-2003, 09:20 AM
Well, my vote for the:

first group was Lando
second group was Ackbar
third group was Yoda (Although, I saw the Wicket at retail, just didn't have the money to get him, but I might have picked him over Yoda if I would have actually purchased him.)
fourth group was Greedo then AT--AT driver then Snowtrooper.

Tycho
07-16-2003, 09:44 AM
I think people like the 12" AT-AT Driver figure ;)

Now pick the best 2-pack from:

Grand Moff Tarkin & Death Star Gunner
Jedi Luke Skywalker vs. the underworld's Bib Fortuna
Slave Leia and bartender R2-D2
Red 2, Wedge Antilles and Red 3, Biggs Darklighter
Luke Stormtrooper & Han Stormtrooper: Death Star Escape
Electronic Emperor Palpatine & Royal Guardsman
Han Solo & Carbonite Block
Electronic Darth Vader Versus Obi-Wan Kenobi
Electronic R2-D2 & C-3PO (battle worn)

(note, I didn't forget beasts or the Dark Side set, it's coming!)

I have to vote for Luke and Bib Fortuna. The way Luke turned out was the best in my opinon, and Bib Fortuna is just impressive all the way around - plus this was the only way we have ever gotten him! An excellent 2-pack. Honorable mention goes to the KB Exclusive Han & Luke Stromtrooper 2-pack. This was really hard to get and I really like this 2-pack. But Bib Fortuna steals the show!

Jaff
07-16-2003, 10:02 AM
I must say Emperor and Royal Guard. The Royal Guard was just lovely and the Emperor was pretty cool too. Bib and Luke would have second choice.

Exhaust Port
07-16-2003, 10:25 AM
1. Grand Moff Tarkin & Death Star Gunner

followed closely by

2. Electronic Emperor Palpatine & Royal Guardsman

Deoxyribonucleic
07-16-2003, 11:46 AM
Luke and Han stormtrooper for me please :)

gtrain29
07-16-2003, 01:37 PM
I gotta go with Luke jedi/ bib fortuna because that luke is tops as far as likeness to mark hammil and the figure included the hooded cloak!
The bib fortuna is just an awesome figure and one of the only exclusives that remains an exclusive since it was never rereleased as a cheap rehash.

The royal guard is probably the figure I wanted most so the emperor/royal guard 2 pack narrowly lost out. The main reason is that, even though I love the guard's attire, I just cannot get past the transparent visor. I don't know if that is accurate or not, but I don't like being able to see imperial soldiers' eyes.

dr_evazan22
07-16-2003, 10:49 PM
I'm gonna go w/ Slave Leia and BarToo. Leia's costume was well made w/ a good eye for detail, even if the lower half of the bikini juts out a little likes it's covering something.

And BarToo... Well, it's BarToo dammit! "BarToo mix me up another gin and tonic"

JediTricks
07-17-2003, 02:41 AM
Luke & Bib, best FAO pre-purchase I ever did. IMO, not one of those other multipacks holds a candle to this set, the only one coming close would be Han & Luke troopers.

My Luke has the non-painted hilt though, I was honked until the single-boxed one fixed that. Luke's ROTJ saber is one of my all time favorite action figure accessories and ONLY the 12" line has ever done it justice.

Evazan22, the reason I don't dig the Slave Leia & R2 set is because of the doll body & face and clear clothing on Leia, and the non-removable bar elements and mixer on R2. That's another FAO set I pre-purchased, not as joyful results for me though. ;)

Tarkin & Gunner were cool, but not as exciting as Luke & Bib and didn't have the same level of clothing. Emp w/ Guard was weak for me because of visor and crappy electronic Emp. Wedge & Biggs were alright, but except for helmet paint and heads, they were 2 of the same fig, both rehashes of X-wing Luke, which made them a rip-off at $70. Electronic Obi-Wan vs Vader was awful IMO, Obi-Wan's lines didn't even have anything to do with the scene and the figs were gimmicked. Electronic R2 & 3PO were pretty weak, TRU should have asked for better - R2's light-up eye is the wrong one and 3PO's paint was attrocious. Han Carbonite was the set that almost killed Hasbro & Target's relationship, caused Target to sell off excess stock of these and Royal Guards to charity - set is ok, but the head sculpt is not right.

Tycho, why didn't you mention the KB 3pack (Leia Boushh, 2 other figs ;)) in there?

Ook
07-17-2003, 09:11 PM
Bib is in my top 3 or 4, and this is the best sculpted Luke ever. It's the first to look like Hamill.

Turbowars
07-17-2003, 11:45 PM
I should go with Luke and Bib, but I really love Leia and R2. It's from one of my favorite clips from the film. I just hope we get a 3.75 version. Bib kicks @ss though!

Tycho
07-17-2003, 11:58 PM
Tycho, why didn't you mention the KB 3pack (Leia Boushh, 2 other figs ;)) in there?

I have them grouped with stranger types of assortments like the Master Edition figures with the books, and so forth.

12" is more confusing and harder to categorize everything than the basic collection. I hope I won't forget anyone, but I probably will.

I'll tell you when I think I'm done. It won't be for a long while though.

Tycho
07-23-2003, 02:23 AM
It's time to Vote for Beasts and Machines!

I thought that if I separated the beasts from the machines, I'd end up with too short of lists. So choose carefully and pick your favorite from:

Hoth Han Solo and TaunTaun
Luke Hoth versus the Wampa Ice Monster
Captain Tarpals riding the Kaadu
Imperial Sandtrooper on the Dewback
Endor ScoutTrooper on the Speederbike
Luke Skywalker Endor Gear on the Speederbike
Darth Maul on the Sith Speeder
Princess Leia Endor Gear on the Speederbike

I have to go for the bikerscout on speederbike! Not only was it the coolest product, not withstanding the Skywalker twin rehashes for the vehicle (which does make sense) but the Bikerscout had such cool diorama packaging that I've been scared to open mine until I get the exact display case I want to put up a speederbike chase scene with 12" in !

Exhaust Port
07-23-2003, 02:36 AM
Bikerscout on Speederbike for me too. Both the figure and the vehicle look great. I do like the Sandtrooper and Dewback too only because of the shear size of the thing. It looks great perched on top of the shelf.

dr_evazan22
07-23-2003, 09:38 AM
First, should Hoth Luke w/ Wampa be included as well?

Even if he is included, he won't get my vote.

Ultimately, my vote is going to Scout and Bike, which I opened and is now the centerpiece of my dining room table (hey, I live by myself, and it can easily be moved when company comes for dinner). This is probably one of the more well done fig combo's of the line.

Having said that, Capt Tarpals and Kaadu take a pretty close second, IMO.

Exhaust Port
07-23-2003, 11:25 AM
The Wampa is the second figure listed by Tycho.

I never saw the Tarpals/Kaadu figures in person they did look pretty good in the pictures though. How tall did it stand with Tarpals riding?

Jaff
07-23-2003, 11:55 AM
Bikerscout on Speederbike without doubt

Luke and Wampa is second

Deoxyribonucleic
07-23-2003, 12:30 PM
scout trooper on speeder bike!!

:)

Turbowars
07-23-2003, 07:25 PM
Scout on bike all the way!! It looks so good in the box, I will never take it out. I bought a cheap Luke and bike off e-bay and I just got the new Saga Scout to go on it and now I can't open him, because he looks just as good. If Hasbro knew how to pack case assortments I wouldn't be having this problem.

dr_evazan22
07-23-2003, 10:11 PM
Sorry guys, I meant Luke / Taun Taun.

gtrain29
07-23-2003, 10:46 PM
I guess I'll have to agree with everyone and vote for the scout & speederbike.

I really love the han & taun taun, though. Both the han and luke hoth were excellent figures -- especially considering how long ago they were released.
The luke & wampa had potential to be far and away the best, but the midget wampa really takes away from set IMO.

Tycho
07-23-2003, 11:04 PM
Oops. I did forget about Luke and the TaunTaun!

Well, we except TaunTauns, Visa, and Mastercard here.

Looks like it wouldn't defeat the Bikerscout anyway though.

Exhaust Port
07-24-2003, 12:07 AM
Not a chance, Bikerscout all the way.

Ook
07-24-2003, 02:12 AM
The scout owns this group. Next...

Tycho
07-24-2003, 03:51 AM
I guess we'll call these the single-boxed Classic SW exclusive group.

Vote on your favorite from:

the Sandtrooper (orange shoulder pauldron)
Greedo (JC Penny)
AT-AT Driver (Service Merchandise)
Leia Hoth (Service Merchandise)
Figrin 'Dan
Ikabel
Doink
Nalan
Tedn
Tech
Princess Leia Boussh Disguise (Toys R Us)
Gamorrean Guard (KB Toys)

And forgive me if I mispelled any of the Cantina Band Members' names, but I don't think any of them come close to the quality of the Gamorrean Guard. He's exactly what I'd hoped for!

JediTricks
07-24-2003, 06:21 AM
Biker Scout had my vote in the previous.

Hoth Leia is my favorite, "action" Leia figs are always good in my book, even if Hasbro mucked up her dumb rooted hair by not having it in the right places.

Exhaust Port
07-24-2003, 11:00 AM
Boy, that's a tough one. The top 3 are the Gamorrean Guard, Boussh and AT-AT Driver. I think I'd rank them that way too. The Gamorrean Guard wins. I like it that they didn't compromise his size and made him one big piece of plastic. Big is better.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-24-2003, 11:08 AM
Leia Hoth

at-at driver a close second

Jaff
07-24-2003, 08:02 PM
Gamorrean Guard

dr_evazan22
07-25-2003, 01:01 AM
Once again I resorted to the old "flip the coin" decision tie breaker, and Leia Boushh came up. Sorry Gammy!

gtrain29
07-26-2003, 11:59 AM
I haven't seen the Gam Guard at the store yet, so my vote goes to Leia Boushh. what an awesome figure that was.

JediTricks
07-27-2003, 10:19 PM
I'm surprised that Leia Boushh from the TRU exclusive is getting so many votes. It's got the doll body and pink clothing and a big smile and light-up Han.

Tycho
07-29-2003, 12:23 AM
I think it's still a bit of a contest between the Gamorrean Guard, who's up ahead of the Toys R Us Leia Boussh and the Service Merchandise Leia Hoth by just one, the two Leia's being tied.

That being said, I'll offer up the next batch to vote on, and still entertain anything that alters the previous group's decision if someone hasn't voted yet.

Now Pick Your Favorite From:

Darth Maul
JarJar Binks
Qui-Gon Jinn
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Episode One)
Watto
Battle Droid
Mace Windu (Episode One Jedi Council)
Anakin Skywalker (6" box)

I have to pick Obi-Wan Kenobi! he's one of my favorite 12" figures and one of the best likenesses for Ewan McGreggor!

Who would you choose?

Jaff
07-29-2003, 10:11 AM
Although I have never bought one prequel 12" I would have bought the Darth Maul. There were several times I considered buying him but never followed thru.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-29-2003, 10:35 AM
I'm going with Watto, I just think he was very nicely done and he is a good character in Ep1.

gtrain29
07-29-2003, 01:37 PM
HOLY CRAP did I mess up!!!! I thought that was the Leia Boushh from the KB 3 pack. I retract my vote for that and give it to the Gamorrean, then. Thanks for the heads up, JediTricks, that TRU Leia is awful. I feel stupid and contagious for giving that piece of crap my vote. The KB Leia Boushh totally blows that thing away.

For the next ballot, I vote Maul all the way. That was an excellent figure.

Battle Droid
07-29-2003, 05:08 PM
Battle Droid

Exhaust Port
07-29-2003, 08:51 PM
Darth Maul for me.

Kidhuman
07-29-2003, 10:17 PM
Watto, he looked the best.

JediTricks
07-30-2003, 03:38 AM
Nothing personal to those who voted for 12" Watto, but I think you're all completely wrong. Limited articulation, no "clothing", gloppy paint that wasn't even the right color, stupid springy cord, no accessories that I remember, and was very cheaply made. This was my "worst of" choice for '99 in the SSG year-end review.

Tycho, why are you putting Anakin up there but not the pit droids or R2-green2 or whatever that fig's name was?

I'm also going to vote for Obi-Wan. Except for looking kinda fat, the head sculpt was pretty good. The outfit, besides being simply a retread of Qui-Gon's in a different color (which was also wrong), was pretty sharp with a nice robe, and the lightsaber accessory was dandy.

If Hasbro hadn't actively limited the battle droid so he couldn't transform, that might have been my choice here.

dr_evazan22
07-30-2003, 08:15 AM
If the pit droids were just missed but should've been included, then that gets my vote.

Otherwise, Maul will get it.

Tycho
07-30-2003, 11:36 AM
No, the pit droids weren't forgotten, they were deliberately left off to split the mainline E1 figures into 2 manageable groups. Remember, there's 2 Anakins that are almost the same? And 2 Qui-Gons, when the only difference is his accessory robe. I wanted the duplicates split up, so I bumbed Anakin (the first one) into this group. Evazan: I'll record your vote for Maul - you'll get your chance to vote for the Pit Droids in the next group which I figure I should post in just a minute.

JediTricks: Obi-Wan only looked "fat" in the package because of the way they tied him down: neck in, belly out, feet in, nothing evening his torso flat against the package back. I suppose they didn't want to mess up his Jedi robe, or wrinkle it too bad. The figure is the same Hasbro dude's body, and while not fat, they managed to package him so he looked pregnant. Loose (is yours out of the box?) he is really a fine 12" and while Darth Maul was high quality, Obi-Wan was a bit more exciting for me - his being a hero and all. But I know we agree on the finer points about him, as we both gave him our vote.

DOES EVERYONE HERE OPEN THEIR 12"??? you have to - some are too cool and packaged like crap. The bikerscout is on the extreme side of actual good packaging - though hardly the real opposite, since his figure is so good and the bike is the best!

ANYWAY, LET'S VOTE FOR THE NEXT GROUP!

choose from:

OOM-9
Qui-Gon Jinn (Tatooine Disguise)
Boss Nass
Sebulba
Anakin Skywalker Naboo Fighter Pilot
Pit Droids 2 - pack
R2-A6

I have to vote for Boss Nass! What a heavy, totally newly molded, incredibly accurate, nicely produced piece! It's hard to believe he came from the same collection as some of our 12" figures!

Deoxyribonucleic
07-30-2003, 12:51 PM
I vote for pit droids

Yes, I open all of my 12"...you are right Tycho, they are just too cool to leave them in the packages! :)

Exhaust Port
07-30-2003, 01:01 PM
DOES EVERYONE HERE OPEN THEIR 12"???

I sure do with a few exceptions. My Luke/Tauntuan is still in the box only because I don't have the room to display him and my 100th Luke is still boxed up as I'm afraid to lose all the stuff he came with. Other than that I have almost 2 complete book shelves of my opened 12" figures. Life is good. :)

R2-A6 gets my vote for the next round. I like the metalized top and coloring. He looks great among the other droids and is a standout at that.

Sebulba is a pretty good figure but lacks posability and is tough to stand on own.

OOM-9 is also tough to stand and the legs are easily bent/warped.

Boss Nass. I never saw this one so I can't vote for him.

The remaining figures were nothing to write home about in my opinion.

dr_evazan22
07-30-2003, 09:27 PM
Well, like I said before, I'm sticking w/ the Pit Droids. You get 2 of them and they're super cute! I think you can really capture the essence of the movie characters and the way they moved, w/ the exception of folding up.

I agree the R2-A6 is a great figure too. Just like w/ the smaller line, I wish we could get more driods.

I didn't even bother to get OOM-9, I thought he was a waste of plastic. That coming from a completist who at the time was buying 2 of each 12" for opening (when possible).

gtrain29
07-31-2003, 11:11 AM
As much as I hate to vote for a gungan, I think Nass was the best figure of this group. It was an original mold and high-quality design.

I really don't care for any of the stick figure droids of E1 because they all ended up with warped limbs.

Instead of R2-A6 which was just barely different from R2-D2, I think it would have been much cooler to make the red or blue & yellow R2 droids.

Jaff
07-31-2003, 06:04 PM
Sebulba was awesome, but Hemroid pain Qui Gon has to be one of the worse 12" ever made.

Battle Droid
07-31-2003, 07:52 PM
Pit Droids

JediTricks
07-31-2003, 11:00 PM
JediTricks: Obi-Wan only looked "fat" in the package because of the way they tied him down: neck in, belly out, feet in, nothing evening his torso flat against the package back. I suppose they didn't want to mess up his Jedi robe, or wrinkle it too bad. The figure is the same Hasbro dude's body, and while not fat, they managed to package him so he looked pregnant. Loose (is yours out of the box?) he is really a fine 12"All my 12" figures have been removed from box, even the Scout Trooper w/ bike. The figures all retire back to their now insert-free boxes though because I don't have room to display 'em.

Obi-Wan looks fat not for any of the reasons you gave, but because the head sculpt just plain ol' looks chubby.

On the new poll, if the pit droids had transformed, they would have been so awesome. As it is, they're cool but not as good as they should be. Having never seen Ani pilot or Boss Nass on shelves and been disappointed by the looks of Tatooine Jinn, OOM-9, and Sebulba, I'm going to have to say "Pit Droids". Maybe if Boss Nass hadn't been so dang hard to find, I would have voted that way.

Except for short-packed Ani, this was a wave where few accessories were to be found; the exceptions being Qui-Gon's lady Jedi shaver communicator, and OOM-9's black blaster rifle and electrobinoculars all of which should have been in their original versions in the first place.

Exhaust Port
08-01-2003, 01:19 PM
Yeah, the pit droids would have gotten my vote if they actually transformed. I was really suprised to find out that they didn't. It was a pretty simple transformation and was the big feature of the droid. Too bad. I still want to see a transforming Destroyer Droid.

TheDarthVader
08-01-2003, 04:02 PM
Dang, I need to catch up! (If I may)
3rd vote= Yoda
4th vote= Snowtrooper
5th vote= Emperor/ Royal Guard
6th vote= Biker Scout w. bike
7th vote= Gammorrean Guard
8th vote= Darth Maul
9th (current) vote= Boss Nass THERE! ;)

Tycho
08-02-2003, 05:52 PM
I think the pit droids cinched that last round. A late vote for Boss Nass could tie them up though.

We're going to vote on the Electronic Figures now!

Vote for your favorite electronic figure out of:

Darth Maul
Qui-Gon Jinn
JarJar Binks
Take-apart C-3PO (E1)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Kamino Fight)
Jango Fett (removeable helmet)
TC-14 (at your service)
Darth Vader 14" Removeable Helmet

(oh - I put Boba Fett electronic with a future group with all the bounty hunters - that's why he's missing).

From this list, I have to got with Vader! To this day he has been one of my most wanted and then most satisfied purchases.

The C-3PO was a hard-to-find but great toy, and the modern Jango and E2 Obi-Wan kick a lot of butt! (the E2 electronics are totally under-rated!)

But I love the elecronic line and hope they will continue. I wanted a 12"
Darth Sidious Hologram done this style!

gtrain29
08-02-2003, 06:05 PM
I thought TC-14 was an excellent figure. It looks great all in silver with the tray and light-up eyes.

HOWEVER, NOTHING can compare to the Vader. I feel the same way as you do about this one, tycho.

Turbowars
08-02-2003, 06:12 PM
I thought TC-14 was an excellent figure. It looks great all in silver with the tray and light-up eyes.

HOWEVER, NOTHING can compare to the Vader. I feel the same way as you do about this one, tycho.
Yeah Vader all the way!

Jaff
08-02-2003, 06:37 PM
We're going to vote on the Electronic Figures now!

Vote for your favorite electronic figure out of:

Darth Maul
Qui-Gon Jinn
JarJar Binks
Take-apart C-3PO (E1)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Kamino Fight)
Jango Fett (removeable helmet)
TC-14 (at your service)
Darth Vader 14" Removeable Helmet

Here's a clue! He's Dark, ominous, breaths heavy, and has a major heart for his whinning kid. Did anyone guess Vader!!!! :crazed:

Kidhuman
08-02-2003, 07:10 PM
The only one I got was the Maul. I never saw any of the others except the Jango but Maul kicks his butt. So Maul it is.

dr_evazan22
08-02-2003, 10:26 PM
I don't know what the malfunction was, but my Maul would spontaneously make some of his fighting sounds on his own, which, when it was first happening, was a little creepy.

My vote though goes to Vader. I pretty much agree w/ what he said.

Another good fig was the Jango, which I liked more then the Ultimate Jango.

My E1 3PO hasn't been opened, but he looks pretty fat in the box, what with the electronics and battery comaprtment. I wasn't that impressed with him.

Deoxyribonucleic
08-02-2003, 11:03 PM
TC-14 all the way...it just reeks of the Star Wars universe :)

A big ol shiny silver droid and the voice is a great match from the film.

Ook
08-03-2003, 11:56 AM
Gamorrean Guard from his group.
Maul from the next.
No fave from the next group.
And Vader from the electronic group.

Although, I don't think all the ones with sound should be grouped together. The all-plastic ones are all-together different figures than the clothed ones, such as 14" Vader.

Exhaust Port
08-03-2003, 07:13 PM
Electronic Darth Vader followed by the Emperor which isn't on that list.

Tycho
08-03-2003, 08:42 PM
The Electronic Emperor was on the two-pack list, but lost to Luke & Bib Fortuna. Vader is a fine 12" figure though, isn't he?

Let's Vote for the Next Group!

Pick your favorite from:

Death Star Droid
Han Solo Stromtrooper (trash compactor)
Death Star Trooper / Imperial Army Officer
Han Solo Endor Gear
Chewbacca (solid plastic version)
Leia Slave (single boxed version)
Ponda Baba (with Removeable Arm)
Ben Kenobi (lightsaber training)
Luke Stormtrooper (trash compactor)

I was torn between Ponda Baba and the Death Star Trooper, but finally chose the Death Star Trooper because Hasbro ingeniously allowed you to make 2 different types of Imperials with this one. It only lacked head variations to make him perfect. I wish they'd do Rebel troops that way as well, but the Death Star Trooper was awesome! A job well done for the Empire!

JediTricks
08-03-2003, 09:00 PM
Previous: Vader, though Maul and 3PO both were more fun.

Current: Han Endor, not a great set of figs to choose from IMO, Ponda Baba may still collecting dust at my local WMs I fear, but Han has the coat and the magnetic explosives. Obi-Wan is my second. I liked Chewie even though few others did, but that figure needed way more articulation to be a good figure.

Jaff
08-04-2003, 05:57 AM
Han Solo Endor Gear, what a nice piece. Death star Trooper was a close second.

Ook
08-04-2003, 12:01 PM
I like Buttmouth.

Tycho
08-04-2003, 12:33 PM
I like Buttmouth.
I'll take that as a vote for Ponda Baba and not...

Well, with your avatar and Ponda's tusks, I got the joke.

I just thought I should clarify that for your sake though! ;)

Kidhuman
08-04-2003, 12:54 PM
I will go with the Han Stormtrooper. It was the first Han in that costume that I got, actually it was the only one from the wave that I got, and it was because it was Han in the stormy outfit.

Deoxyribonucleic
08-04-2003, 01:12 PM
Ben Kenobi lightsaber training if this is the old ben version with the glow-in-the-dark lightsaber...I LOVE this figure!!

gtrain29
08-04-2003, 07:06 PM
I vote for the DS Trooper. I was really satisfied with that figure.

The Ponda Baba wasn't that bad a figure. However, I don't like the removal arm that made an obvious velcro seam on his jacket, and for some reason his body is really shrimpy compared to my other figures which is not good since he is supposed to be a intergalactic thug.

The only thing I liked about the Han Endor was his coat. It was great, but I hated the face, and I really had a problem with the ANH version of his shirt. It looks great after getting a different head and the double-breasted shirt, though.

dr_evazan22
08-04-2003, 10:33 PM
I'll cast my vote for the Crazy Wizard himself, Ben.

Exhaust Port
08-05-2003, 09:13 PM
Death Star Trooper because he fits so well with the already released Darth Vader and Stormtrooper.

gtrain29
08-06-2003, 03:25 PM
I already voted, but I forgot to mention on of the main reasons I liked the DS trooper is because it completed the original 12 (luke, han, vader, ben, tusken, leia, stormtrooper, 3po, r2, jawa, chewie) from the vintage line.
Now we just need a few more to get the vintage 21.

Tycho
08-06-2003, 11:58 PM
That's true. Let me see:

Gonk would be cool. Might happen.
Zutton is hard to see. He's sitting at 3 3/4" so a 12" market? Doubt it.
Momaw Nadon would rock!

DS Droid Silver - well they love repaints!
Greedo's done
Ponda's done
Luke X-wing is done
Boba's done
R5D4's done

A two-pack with Momaw and Zutton, possibly using the 6" body, might be pulled off.

The Gonk and a silver DS Droid in a 2-pack would be odd, but solve that issue as well. Dunno. Good thought though.

I want to leave this issue open for discussion if anyone lese wants to comment on finishing a vintage 21-back in modern 12", then we'll vote on the next batch.

It looks like DS TRooper won this round.

K M Toydarian
08-07-2003, 01:48 AM
"Gonk would be cool. Might happen."

Hasbro needs to include a Gonk with the new Jawa 2 pack. It could totally be considered an accessory ala Yoda's chair, and would desperately save that 2 pack. More bang for your buck!

Kidhuman
08-07-2003, 07:09 AM
"Gonk would be cool. Might happen."

Hasbro needs to include a Gonk with the new Jawa 2 pack. It could totally be considered an accessory ala Yoda's chair, and would desperately save that 2 pack. More bang for your buck!

Why not? Make it a deluxe pack. 3 small figs. I would buy it and so would others. Heck do a pack like the Hoth 4 pack but with 4 Jawas, Gonk and R5-D4. But the first 21 back figs would be cool in 12". Give me a cvhance to get the vintage 12" I have updated and complete.

Jaff
08-07-2003, 10:19 AM
I say make EVERY 12" forever and Ever. Give me 12 inch figures.

Tycho
08-07-2003, 12:07 PM
I thought so. Every so often a really cool issue comes up from discussing the collection as it stands, or with what's been done. Remaking vintage 3 3/4" as modern 12" sounds like as good as topic as any to me. I've got 5 more lists of completed 12" left to discuss.

Since we're all subscribed here, why not take the life of this thread beyond what it is, and go into what the 12" collection could be, once we've covered everything. This is turning into a great discussion!

So let's add some fuel to the fire and Vote on the next group!

This round let's you pick up your favorite girl:

Queen Amidala in Theed Throne Outfit (Royal Elegance)
Padme Handmaiden (Hidden Majesty)
Queen Amidala in Black Travel Gown
Padme Tatooine (Beautiful Braids)
Queen Amidala in Red Senate Gown
Queen Amidala in Purple Return to Naboo Gown
Sabe as the Decoy Queen
Princess Leia Yavin Cermeony Scene

I never opened most of these figures except the cheaper Queen ones because they were too fancy to mess up. I intend to free them when I get a bigger display case and can display the Black Travel Queen with Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Padme Handmaiden all fighting several battle droids - that sort of thing.

Meanwhile, sometimes simple is better. I really like Padme Tatooine. She wasn't easy to find and I had to mail-order her from one of the on-line guys, probably NewForceComics if I recall, but she stands apart in my Tatooine scene with Anakin, Watto, the pit droids, Sebulba, and Talking C-3PO. I really wish they'd make Shmi Skywalker in a 12". I'd love to add her to this group. Kitster and Wald would be too good to be true. I'd also go for a 12" Kitster and Shmi on an Eiopee. Wow would that be a deluxe set! Anyway, I'm not too into playing with "dolls" but Padme Tatooine was exactly what I'd expect from a good figure. I can't remember, but I do think she was a "Barbie." Howewver, for some of these, Barbie works. Sabe should not have been one for sure though. Some other lady figures were not forgotten btw (a certain 2-pack figure and a bounty hunter will come up in future groups.)

gtrain29
08-07-2003, 12:41 PM
This is a tough one because, even though I have all of these, I really don't care for any of them that much.
I think I'll vote for the LEIA CEREMONIAL because I thought that was a cool idea to make her 2nd outfit from ANH (unlike the 1000 that amidala had in TPM simply so they could try to sell lots of different dolls). Plus, it looks cool with my Luke ceremonial -- I put his outfit on the x-wing luke body b/c the ceremonial sculpt was hideous looking.

Deoxyribonucleic
08-07-2003, 08:42 PM
I'm going to vote for ANH Ceremony Leia because one, IT'S LEIA and she's my idol ;) and two, the likeness was so very, very good next to the other 12" leia's that had come out before!!

Gooooooooooooo Leia! :)

on a side note, I would LOVE to have a 12" hammerhead, duros and mostly, because he's always forgotten but ever so cool, is Ellis Hellrot...I would like him in a 3.75 inch style too! However, the one 12" I would absolutely pay money money money for is an Amanaman!! I THOUGHT hasbro was going to do a 12" max rebo band, but what in samhill happened there?? I remember you could pre-order them from planetactionfigure, but then I never heard about them again??

JediTricks
08-08-2003, 12:34 AM
Beautiful Braids Padme was originally found at E-toys when they were going out of business, then later they showed up en masse at KB stores.

None of these stupid POS dollies looked much like the actresses they were supposed to represent, but since there's no "none of the above", I'm voting:

Royal Elegance Amidala

Primarliy because I sorta like the outfit.

dr_evazan22
08-08-2003, 01:16 AM
Padme in Red Senate Gown.

I found a display case at an arts and crafts store that was the same height as the box, actually the same dimensions but square. Anywho, I spent quite a bit of time carefully freeing Padme of her prison and getting her on the included stand. I cut the front flap and top off the box and was able to fit it inside of the display. From the front you see the 2 columns, and you can kind of see the window behind Padme (from the right angle). I have a spotlight over it bringing out the vibrant colors of the velvet costume.

Jaff
08-09-2003, 01:36 AM
Leia Ceremonial

Exhaust Port
08-09-2003, 10:25 AM
Queen Amidala in Red Senate Gown gets my vote. They didn't sell very well but the quality of the gown exceeds any of the other 12" figures produced (at least that I can think of off the top of my head). Since they didn't sell well we'll probably not get any for the Ep2 or 3 gowns either. Too bad.

Kidhuman
08-09-2003, 11:43 AM
However, the one 12" I would absolutely pay money money money for is an Amanaman!! I THOUGHT hasbro was going to do a 12" max rebo band, but what in samhill happened there?? I remember you could pre-order them from planetactionfigure, but then I never heard about them again??

You got that right. AManaman would be a great 12" figure. So would the Max Rebo band. I never got those as a child and always wanted them. I need to look on ebay for them.

Vote to Leia Cerimonial.

tagmac
08-09-2003, 01:57 PM
Padme Red Senate Gown

TheDarthVader
08-09-2003, 08:38 PM
Electronic Vader
Death Star Trooper
Amidala Red Senate Gown

Tycho
08-10-2003, 03:18 PM
Well looks like Mother and Daughter are fighting for the top!

Anyone who hasn't voted might break the tie between the Ceremony Princess and the Senate Queen.

Meanwhile, it's time to vote

On the Bounty Hunter Waves!

Choose from these guys who were seen on the Imperial Star Destroyer Executer:

IG-88
Dengar
Bossk
4-LOM
Zuckuss
Electronic Boba Fett
Imperial Officer (current Saga figure with the sideburns)

Dang this is not hard. Electronic Boba Fett with his firing rocket, accurate head size, his famous 4 lines of dialogue in the whole classic trilogy, and his cool cloak and accuracy rule for me.

Bossk was so good though!

I wanted IG-88 ever since Kenner made him when I was a kid but I don't think my Mom let be get him that first time (only time) I saw him at KB.

Zuckuss kicks butt for a simple figure that's highly detailed right!

Dengar is a dream since Hasbro has never done this character justice, and he could have been an awful hunk of plastic crap, but he turned out great and with his back-pack.

It's hard to pick a favorite if Fett was not in this group, but it might've been Dengar. Then again, Bossk, Zuckuss and IG-88 were worth it too.

But some of you guys will remember that since probably 1998 or so, when we first saw indications that Hasbro would do a lot of background characters with this line (like when Ackbar came out, for instance), I started asking for all the 12" Bounty Hunters to be done at the end of every single year we wrapped up our "Best Of" annual reviews, and they are all now proudly displayed loose on my entertainment center top, as one of my favorite displays of figures in my entire collection.

I never tire of looking at my bounty hunters! I have no idea why. I just like 'em! :)

Vote for your favorite from this batch!

Turbowars
08-10-2003, 04:45 PM
I'll go with Bossk. His suit is one of the best detailed in the whole line. Followed by Zucky.

Deoxyribonucleic
08-10-2003, 06:48 PM
Bossk!

One of the best detailed 12" figures to date!

dr_evazan22
08-10-2003, 06:50 PM
I've said it before in other threads, but I'll repeat it here... IMO Bossk has always been one of the best sculpted / deco'd characters that have been produced, from the vintage line thru the latest 12". I love the detail in his costume!

Bossk!

Bossk!

Kidhuman
08-10-2003, 07:37 PM
I dunno. I agree with Tycho. I love all the bounty hunters. Dengar has always had a warm spot in the cockles of my heart. Boba Fett has always been a favorite. IG-88 is another favorite too. I am gonna have to say Dengar.

Exhaust Port
08-10-2003, 08:19 PM
The bounty hunters is the best lineup of figures put out in the 12" series in my opinion. Not a loser in the bunch which makes this decision a tough call.

I think Bossk will get my vote at the winner.

IG-88 comes in a close second because they maintained his scale and he looks good.

TheDarthVader
08-10-2003, 09:55 PM
Even though Boba Fett was awesome, how can I not vote for Bossk? Bossk easily gets my vote...what a great sculpt with great paint. :)

JediTricks
08-10-2003, 11:34 PM
Bossk is a great figure, gets my vote hands down. IG-88 comes close, but his losery telescoping leg problem knocks a few points off there. Electronic Fett is so far off my radar that I don't actually know where mine is right now, not a bad figure but it didn't impress me either (and his button makes some poses a problem).

gtrain29
08-10-2003, 11:57 PM
I go with BOSSK for all the reasons above. What an incredibly detailed outfit!
Yeah, the bounty hunters were definitely the best of the 12" line. IG-88, Zuckuss, and Dengar could have easily won this vote; they were all amazing. I like the 4-LOM although I don't care for the protocol droid body. As for the Fett, though, I really was not impressed by it. I remember how excited I was when the CS version came out. But the half gauntlets, stubby molded rangefinder, and ill fitting chestplate really disappointed me since I had been looking forward to that one for so long. The only noted improvement on the electronic version was a slightly larger head. I have the marmit version which rocks, but still hope Hasbro releases an ultimate Boba done like the Jango -- maybe even include both ESB & ROTJ outfits (then I'd buy 2).

jedibear
08-11-2003, 12:38 AM
On the whole, the bounty hunters are pretty well done. But like most others here, BOSSK gets the highest marks.
He's one of the finest entries in the entire collection...

Tycho
08-11-2003, 03:32 AM
Dang! Bossk has an uncatchable lead to bring him an undisputable victory!

We sure moved through that vote quickly!

We're now going to vote for the Oddities that didn't quite fit anywhere else.

Choose from single special figures, to 2-packs and 4-packs etc below. Pick your favorite from:

Masterpiece Edition Anakin Skywalker (with book)
Sith Lords Darth Vader and Darth Maul (defeated)
Portrait Edition Queen Amidala and Qui-Gon Jinn (Defense of Naboo)
Masterpiece Edition C-3PO (with book)
Heroes 3-pack Leia Boussh, Han Bespin, Luke Tatooine with Poncho
Masterpiece Edition Aurra Sing (with book)
Hoth 4-pack with Luke Hoth, AT-AT Driver, Han Hoth, Imperial Snowtrooper

I must choose The Defense of Naboo with Qui-Gon and Padme This was a perfect Padme figure done the way she should be (not a Barbie) and a correctly scaled Qui-Gon with a better-made outfit and a really cool "Screen Scene" box.

Aurra Sing had a lot of cool accessories and we were lucky to get a 12" figure of her considering her "importance in the movies" but they used a Barbie! That was so wrong! Many of these other figures are great, but they were offered in other venues.

Which one did you like the most?

Exhaust Port
08-11-2003, 08:54 AM
It's just has difficult to choice a winner from this list as it was from the Bounty Hunters but not because they are all great. I would have chosen the Heros 3-Pack because it includes Leia in Boussh outfit but now that she's been released separately I pass on that one. Even though I never saw it in person I vote for The Defense of Naboo set. Even in the pictures both figures looked like great improvements over the previously released characters.

Deoxyribonucleic
08-11-2003, 10:35 AM
Sith Lords Two-pak, not because of Darth Maul ...I vote for this set because the 12" Vader is only second to Bossk in being one of the best 12" figures out there..I mean you get removable hand with detailed wireing, a removable helmet IN TWO PARTS, that is extremely detailed and face likeness that is RIGHT ON! PLUS the material his suit is made out of looks almost exactly like the one from the films...this figure ROCKS!!

Jaff
08-11-2003, 02:10 PM
for the bounty hunter votes I'd have to say Zuckuss, although IG-88 is really my favorite bounty hunter. It's terrible to make me choose between those two. How do you sleep at night Tycho! :rolleyes:

As for the Masterpiece waves the Defense of Naboo was pretty cool, but I have to go weird and pick the Heroes three pack with Leia in Boushh. Yeah I know that pack was clogging shelves forever, and the Han in Bespin looked a little dumb, and who ever asked for a Luke in Poncho. However the set had Boushh, and that is all the difference in my opinion.

gtrain29
08-11-2003, 03:08 PM
I liked a lot of the choices here. The Vader from the sith lords pack was incredible. I really loved the 3 pack with Han bespin and Leia boushh. The han looks incredible when transferring his outfit to a better looking han solo doll. Because of the awesome Leia Boushh this one would definitely get my vote if there wasn't a better choice on the ballot.

I also really liked the masterpiece 3po. He is accurate with the silver leg, and is a unique 3po that can be taken apart and displayed in the net backpack with my ESB collection.

Here, however, my vote must go to DEFENSE OF NABOO not because that was the only decent looking padme figure, but rather because the Qui-Gon is the coolest PT 12"er made yet.

The Aurra Sing gets my vote as the most pointless 12" figure ever made. In a line with limited production of characters, why did they waste time making a 12" masterpiece version of a character seen for half a second?

Tycho
08-11-2003, 04:28 PM
I wanted to chime in here about the Vader.

The 14" Electronic Vader is likely my favorite 12" in totality. We'll have to see how I vote in the end of this.

The Sith Lords 2 pack one cut out the electronics and added a removeable damaged hand, and a slightly green tint to his shoulder armor. But while essentially the same figure, he doesn't seem to be looked at by a lot of you as a re-release or resculpt at all.

I was wondering if anyone here had trouble getting the original talking 14" Vader?

It wasn't hard to find if I recall. Like an addict, I bought 3.

When the Sith Lords 2pack came out, I wanted another Vader, so yeah, HE was the reason I got that set (and bought an extra Obi-Wan on clearance to slice my Maul in half)

But I wanted:

1) Vader with the Imperials
2) Vader fighting Luke Bespin
3) Vader with Luke Jedi removing his father's helmet

and I kept trying to avoid buying another one, but I got 2 Snowtroopers and an AT-AT Driver figure and I wanted Vader to command them :rolleyes: So I bought my 4th one (of what I really think is the same figure) and justified it because I'd also get a new version of Darth Maul :rolleyes:

Now I think I can finally stop buying this figure...but I might want to make Episode 3 "scenes."

What is it with that darn figure?

Did you guys get the original one that talked?

Now what do you want? Vader again? (I know :rolleyes: I'd buy it. *sigh*)

JediTricks
08-11-2003, 11:01 PM
Of these, I own:
- M.E. Anakin Skywalker
- M.E. C-3PO
- Heroes 3pack

If I had ever gotten the Jinn/Amidala 2pack, I might have voted there, but I didn't so my vote goes to the Heroes 3pack. Han and Luke are weak, but Leia as Boushh is way awesome, 10 times better than the TRU one. Way overpriced though, but 3 solid hero figures. The ME figures were way MORE overpriced and even though 3PO was not too shabby, he still wasn't worth whatever price I paid (like half or something, but still).

Electronic Vader HTF?!? HA! Don't make me laugh, the only thing hard to get about that piece was the higher price. That thing was everywhere.

dr_evazan22
08-12-2003, 12:33 AM
Deoxy - Really good reasons to like the Vader. The reason that I'm not crazy about it though is the green paint. I really wish that they had kept it silver, especially since it was from Jedi. I ended up selling my open Sith Lords and buying a 2nd to keep boxed.

The only one of this group I don't have is the Defense Of Naboo, so I won't vote for it.

My vote will go for the KB 3Pack of Heroes b/c it has Boushh, and I wanted another Boushh for years to open.

OC47150
08-12-2003, 12:20 PM
I picked up an extra Dooku on clearance on Sunday. He's freed from his cardboard cage and on display at home. One of the best figures Hasbro has released. Looks dead-on like Christopher Lee!!

After much examination, I notice Dooku's uniform is kinda similar to Luke's black Jedi outfit from ROJ.

Exhaust Port
08-12-2003, 07:03 PM
Now what do you want? Vader again? (I know :rolleyes: I'd buy it. *sigh*)

So I gather you like Vader? :D

I too love the 14" Vader. I bought the first Vader release so I wasn't planning on purchasing the Electronic version but as luck would have it my brother bought me the 14" Vader for my birthday one year. Man I'm I glad he did. My 12" Vader is now tucked away in the back of a shelf of 12" figures and is barely visible. The 14" Vader on the other hand is displayed right out front proudly, surrounded by Stormtroopers, Sandtroopers, Snowtroopers, Tie Fighter Pilots and an AT-AT driver. Damn he looks great there.

Deoxyribonucleic
08-13-2003, 12:27 PM
Deoxy - Really good reasons to like the Vader. The reason that I'm not crazy about it though is the green paint.

WOW Dr...the green paint has never even registered in my memory banks when I played with him??? I guess I was just so impressed with him, I didn't notice. So after I read your post, I walked over to look and sure enough, there it was...but it doesn't bother me at all because he's so cool! But thanks for mentioning, :) I like seeing new things on my figures that I haven't noticed before!! eg: I never realized the legs on Ig-88 extended until I read about it here teehee ;)

Exhaust Port
08-13-2003, 12:48 PM
I never realized the legs on Ig-88 extended until I read about it here teehee ;)

To be honest I had my IG-88 on display for a few days not realizing the legs extended. I was kind of ticked that he was so mis-perportioned. "How could they screw up this bad and make him so short?"

For whatever reason I while I was fiddling around with him trying to reposition him I gave the legs a pull and BAM, they slid out. Much better looking now. :D

Now ever since I pulled them out for the first time the legs have a tendency to slide back in making him fall. I've had to wedge some pins between the lower leg and the upper leg sleave to keep them from sliding. Somewhat disappointing but you can't tell unless you pick him up and look closely at the rear of this legs.

tagmac
08-13-2003, 12:48 PM
Bossk

Portrait Ed. Amidala/Qui-Gon - best looking & scaled human figs of the 12" line, not counting Dooku.

Tycho
08-13-2003, 04:24 PM
It looks like Padme barely beats Leia.

There's 2 groups of 12 inchers left before we figure out the finalists.

Choose your favorite from:

Anakin Skywalker AOTC (first version)
Obi-Wan Kenobi AOTC
Republic Clone Trooper
Separatist Count Dooku
Bounty Hunter Zam Wessel
Super Battle Droid
Ultimate Bounty Hunter Jango Fett

Some of these figures were great: Anakin and the Clone Trooper.

A few of them were seriously close to the worst disappointments in the line considering how cool they could have been: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Zam Wessel, the Super-Unarticulated-Droid.

Some of these figures were almost the best ever done: Count Dooku's about perfect likeness to Christopher Lee, and the ultimately accessorized and very close likeness of Jango Fett! I honestly have more fun playing with Jango Fett, and his accessories steal the show. I gotta go with Jango Fett! Ultimate Bounty Hunter!

Exhaust Port
08-13-2003, 05:55 PM
Jango Fett!!

If only more 12" figures were treated this well. I know that this is only a cheap version of what the Marmit figures are but this is the best of both worlds. A great sculpt with attachable armor and accessories at a fraction of the price of a Marmit. Now I am disappointed with the fit of the armor but it was nothing that a couple of those clear rubber bands couldn't fix. A very minor flaw in a great figure.

Turbowars
08-13-2003, 05:58 PM
To be honest I had my IG-88 on display for a few days not realizing the legs extended. I was kind of ticked that he was so mis-perportioned. "How could they screw up this bad and make him so short?"

For whatever reason I while I was fiddling around with him trying to reposition him I gave the legs a pull and BAM, they slid out. Much better looking now. :D

Now ever since I pulled them out for the first time the legs have a tendency to slide back in making him fall. I've had to wedge some pins between the lower leg and the upper leg sleave to keep them from sliding. Somewhat disappointing but you can't tell unless you pick him up and look closely at the rear of this legs.
I fixed the legs in place with crazy glue. I figured the legs are meant to be extended and they were only made that way so the figure would fit in the box so Glue did the trick. I just held IG upside down and dropped some glue down the back of the joint. I let it hang there for a mintue and IG was ready to go.

Jaff
08-13-2003, 08:04 PM
count dooku, what a likeness.

Kidhuman
08-13-2003, 08:46 PM
Dooku is a great likeness, my vote to him.

Battle Droid
08-13-2003, 09:47 PM
Super Battle Droid (even with it's limited articulation, and I only by 12" Droids)

Exhaust Port
08-13-2003, 10:10 PM
I fixed the legs in place with crazy glue. I figured the legs are meant to be extended and they were only made that way so the figure would fit in the box so Glue did the trick. I just held IG upside down and dropped some glue down the back of the joint. I let it hang there for a mintue and IG was ready to go.

I might just have to do that. Thanks for the tip.

JediTricks
08-14-2003, 12:30 AM
I'm going to say Dooku as well, despite his saber clip being on the wrong side of his belt and his tunic being too small.

I wanted to get Jango, but never found him at a price I could afford.

Exhaust Port
08-14-2003, 12:58 AM
I wanted to get Jango, but never found him at a price I could afford.

Really? He was was being sold at fire sale prices all over the place around here for at least 2-3 months before they finally sold out. I think it was $20 for Jango at the time. I already had one but I couldn't pass up the second one given the pricing. Now I have one out of the box and one still in which is quite a rarity in my collection.

jedibear
08-14-2003, 01:25 AM
Tycho sez:
There's 2 groups of 12 inchers left before we figure out the finalists.

Choose your favorite from:

Anakin Skywalker AOTC (first version)
Obi-Wan Kenobi AOTC
Republic Clone Trooper
Separatist Count Dooku
Bounty Hunter Zam Wessel
Super Battle Droid
Ultimate Bounty Hunter Jango Fett

First, a couple a comments on this wave as a whole. With the realscan process being used, we had likenesses of lead characters like never before. The soft goods were textured and well-done. My biggest complaint(s) about this wave: The easily damaged packaging looked bad right out of the gate and WHY o WHY didn't the jedi knights have ROBES?

I would have given the nod in this wave to Obi-Wan, but without the robe...I ended up taking the robe from an extra EpOne Obi and WOW! What a difference! This, along with the "Unleashed" version are the best representations of Ewan's portrayal of our erstwhile Jedi Master.
I liked the Anakin, but again, the missing robe was irratating, especially considering the robe he sports is truly different than the standard issue jedi robe. It hangs like the dark lord he's about to become's cape and has those funtional slits in the sleeves...it was inexcusable that Hasbro didn't include one with the first release.
I liked the CloneTrooper, and although she still keeps the shelves plenty warm around here, the Zam is alright when opened and posed next to Jango.
Speaking of Mr. Fett...the "Ultimate" issue was a good idea and for the most part, works well, but some of his armor peices fit on a bit odd and he's hard to pose without the armor popping off. The likeness is excellent though.
The Super Battle Droid is a total miss, from the wrong color to the bad postitions of it's forearms to it's lack of posability. Back to the drawing board please!

The winner in this wave is Count Dooku. From the dead-on likeness to the perfectly realized costume and cape, this figure perfectly captures Mr. Lee's elegance and intensity. The only (very minor) niggle here is it's too bad Hasbro didn't go the extra mile and use the 14" body for him so he could properly tower over the other figures. But this figure still gets it just about right...

Ook
08-14-2003, 01:44 AM
Bossk
Anakin (masterpiece)
Jango

I really like having a figure of Luke's father. And they did a good job with his likeness and height. He looks great with Yoda and Obi-wan to his right, and Luke off to the side looking over at them ala the end of ROJ.

dr_evazan22
08-14-2003, 01:52 AM
I'll go w/ Dooku- it's a great likeness.

Ult Jango would've gotten the vote if the armor fit better. IMO, he looks better from a distance since it's harder to see the not-perfect fit of his armor (at least for me, I'm near sighted!)

gtrain29
08-14-2003, 12:19 PM
I'll take JANGO.
That is how boba fett should have been done.
I was disappointed with the limited articulation of Dooku's arms. Also his body was much too short for Chrisotpher Lee. A 14" body would have been awesome.
The Obi-Wan does indeed look great with the Ep I cloak on; especially when posed fighting Jango.

Tycho
08-14-2003, 02:13 PM
I think the Sith beats the Bounty Hunter in this one, as Count Dooku subdues Jango Fett!

It's time to vote on the Last Batch! *

Pick your favorite from:

Republic Clone Captain (red stripe)
Republic Clone Commander (yellow stripe)
Jedi Master Ki-Adi Mundi
Jedi Master Plo Koon
Anakin Skywalker (droid arm)
Padme Amidala (Geonosis)
Geonosian Warrior

This one is really easy for me: Ki-Adi Mundi is beyond a doubt one of the best 12" figures. His likeness is incredible and his detail-work is great! I'd so much wished the Jedi Council would be continued, as well as more Jedi Knights and Padawans from AOTC! The Fan Club and overall interest in 12" Star Wars must not be overwhelmingly supportive of this happening or we would have heard about SaeSee Tiin, Eeth Koth, and Adi Gallia by now. I really want these! But Ki-Adi Mundi came out so right!

Meanwhile vote for your pick from the last batch and then we'll have some run-offs and find out who the best 12" is.

*Let me know if you think Lando Skiff Guard or the Ewok 2-pack waves even qualify for this. I don't have ANY of them yet, and unless enough of you guys do, I don't think we should be voting on them. Your choice. Later.

Kidhuman
08-14-2003, 03:21 PM
I liked the likeness of the clones, but Plo-Koon looked the best.

I havent seen the Lando wave or Ewoks yet,(aside from pics posted here) so I couldnt cast a vote.

Jaff
08-14-2003, 04:13 PM
Padme Amidala is the worst 12" made of Episode II. Oops we're voting for the best. Of the ones I've seen the Geonisian War was pretty neat.

Exhaust Port
08-14-2003, 06:18 PM
Ki-Adi Mundi

The clone troopers are pretty cool too but they don't measure up well against some of the other figures in the series. Better than most but not nearly as good as a few.

gtrain29
08-14-2003, 09:20 PM
This one's easy for me, too.
KI-ADI-MUNDI without a doubt. Although I was pleased with the rest of these choices until they made that awful padme/anakin wave.

I picked up Lando and ATST driver at TRU last week. Both are outstanding figures -- way better than the pics I had seen. But I doubt enough people have them so it's best not to vote on them.

dr_evazan22
08-15-2003, 01:32 AM
Ki-Adi Mundi for me.

JediTricks
08-15-2003, 01:53 AM
Having never seen Plo Koon in person and never expecting to, I'll vote gamely for Geo Warrior simply because of those that I've seen in person, it looked the least cruddy of the group. Talk about your glowing recommendations! ;) BTW, I'm a proud owner of none of the figures in this voting wave. :D

Deoxyribonucleic
08-15-2003, 12:09 PM
BTW, I'm a proud owner of none of the figures in this voting wave. :D

I second that, that's why I haven't voted :) ;)

TheDarthVader
08-15-2003, 01:40 PM
I vote for Plo Koon .

Tycho, I own the Lando disguise figure. (WOW! Wait until you find this guy!! He's perfect!!!)

yngadult
08-15-2003, 01:54 PM
I generally don't collect 12" because of space and the inferior quality of the figs. compared to 12" fully poseable military figs. or the Japanese SW 12''.
Anyway, I like the Rebel pilot uniforms, so, I picked up the 2 pack of Biggs and ? I also got this at clearance.
The other 12" set I have is the Hong Kong 1997 set of 3. This was a gift from my bro. It has sentimental value because we grew up in HK.
I don't like the figs, so my fav is still the rebel pilots.

I would have bought the Luke 100th edition from TRU but waited for it to go on sale as there were tons as my local TRU. Then one day they were all gone and I never knew if they went on Clearance.

Too bad Hasbro can't make quality 12" like the Japanese version.

Oh, I have the 12" Luke on Speeder only because it was pretty cheap after Clearance. I'd sell this one so as to make more room.

Tycho
08-16-2003, 11:04 PM
We've gotta do some tie-breakers!

The final round will have 14 instead of 16 contestants if we eliminate some of the potentially 19 contestants that you voted on as being the best 12" figures in the entire line.

Right now, we're breaking up those that tied in their categories.

Pick your favorite 12" from:

Obi-Wan Kenobi (first ANH version)
Tusken Raider
Luke X-wing Pilot
Admiral Ackbar
Princess Leia Yavin Ceremony
Queen Amidala Red Senate Gown

Which 12" figure can you not live without?

or

Which is the best?

(whatever helps you vote)

I think I have to go with Luke X-wing Pilot. If I was a kid playing with my Star Wars figures, I know I'd have the most fun with this one!
The Tusken and Obi-Wan are the closest contenders. This was a really tough choice!

Jaff
08-17-2003, 01:16 AM
I do like the Luke in X-Wing Tycho, but I have to go with Ackbar, he is just one of the best sculpts for the 12" ever. I would say the Tuskin would beat out Luke too, but it's a tough call choosing which would be second.

dr_evazan22
08-17-2003, 01:23 AM
As a collector and displayer, as opposed to a player, I have to go w/ Padme Red Senate Gown. For playability though I would've gone w/ Luke X-Wing.

Turbowars
08-17-2003, 11:08 AM
X-wing Luke all the way. He's just one of the best still in the line.

Deoxyribonucleic
08-17-2003, 12:41 PM
Tusken Raider

gtrain29
08-17-2003, 04:46 PM
Tusken for me, too.

JediTricks
08-18-2003, 05:11 AM
Luke X-wing by a large margin. Great accessories and a fantastic costume, all of which are more accurate than any other 12"-scale figure to date. Plus, it's Luke at one of his most heroic moments!!!

Ook
08-18-2003, 09:05 PM
Tusken Raider

TheDarthVader
08-19-2003, 05:22 PM
I vote for Obi-Wan Kenobi ANH version . This is one of the few 12" that I own. I love this figure! The face is similar to Alec's face and I like his big cloak. Second place to Luke X-wing pilot.

Tycho
08-19-2003, 05:57 PM
Well, looking like we are unable to come to an agreement between the Luke X-wing Pilot and the Tusken Raider fans, we'll throw them both into the final round with what has become SSG's Readers' picks for the best 15 twelve inch figures in existence!

Let's see who wins it all!

This is the final round. Pick your very favorite 12" figure that you can't live without!

Your choices are:

Tusken Raider
Luke X-wing Pilot
R2-D2 with tools
AT-AT Driver
Luke Jedi vs. Bib Fortuna
Bikerscout on Speederbike
Gamorrean Guard
Darth Maul
Pit Droid 2-pack
Electronic 14" Darth Vader
Death Star Trooper
Bossk Bounty Hunter
Qui-Gon Jinn and Padme Amidala
Count Dooku
Ki-Adi Mundi
Ultimate 100th figure Luke Skywalker

Note I added the Ultimate Luke figure as I'd forgotten to include him before. Hopefully no one else was left out.

Now my vote is easy and predictable: the 14" Electronic Darth Vader with removeable helmet! I've seldom gotten more satisfaction out of a Star Wars purchase, although all the figures that made our final list are amongst my personal favorites and were items I was very glad to buy!

How about you?

Also, how satisfied were you with our voting process?

Deoxyribonucleic
08-19-2003, 06:18 PM
Well, this is a really tough one for me between Vader and Biker Scout w/speederbike...

Since I was a kid, I wanted that speeder bike, I still hope today to be the one who invents anti-grav engines so that I can have one of those speeder bikes and fly over ALL the traffic to whatever destination I have in mind, the whole time flipping the finger at all the poor saps below on the California freeways hehe :evil: BUT Vader is all time Ultimate villain and I've known him approximately 6 years longer than the biker scout and speeder bike, plus the fact that this figure is a dead ringer for the real thing, all the way down to the 2-piece removeable helmet, so, after getting up and walking over to where both of these lovelies are in my room, looking them over, and thinking very hard I am going to choose Darth Vader.

Exhaust Port
08-19-2003, 06:34 PM
From the previous list I chose X-Wing Luke.

The latest list includes some great figures but I have to pick Darth Vader. A display of Star Wars would be incomplete without the Sith Lord. Yes, the Bikerscout is a great figure but Darth Vader is such an important character in the series and looks darn good as a 14" figure.

dr_evazan22
08-19-2003, 06:53 PM
Coming in at number 3 we have Bossk!

And right in front of him, the Scout w/ Speederbike comes in 2nd.

And winning by 14 inches, Darth Vader!

C'mon everybody, give a big round of applause to all the contestants.

Exhaust Port
08-19-2003, 07:37 PM
<clap><clap><clap><clap><clap><clap><clap><clap>

Ook
08-19-2003, 08:51 PM
I refuse to choose between the Pig, Bib and Bossk! :sur:

gtrain29
08-20-2003, 12:06 AM
This is really tough because we have several figures here that achieved perfection.
The Luke Jedi w/bib is absolutely brilliant with all of the features plus the great work on the exclusive Bib Fortuna.
Even so, I still would have to make my choice between these next two:
The 14" Vader is amazing -- so real looking on my shelf.
The 14" Qui-Gon, again, is as real looking as it gets -- oh yeah, the padme was okay, too.

I don't know how to choose between the two, but I will pick QUI GON since he hasn't gotten any votes yet and IMO deserves a few.

JediTricks
08-20-2003, 01:35 AM
I gotta vote for Luke/Bib, that set is amazing - fantastic sculpts and the best 12"-scale accessory to date, Luke's ROTJ saber!

Bikerscout with speederbike comes in second, and a close third is R2 w/tools. 4th would be Luke X-wing, who gets the nod as best regular 12"-scale figure (that means not exclusive or anything). If Vader had better articulation, I would have gone there instead though. Bossk is close to those 2 as well.

Jaff
08-20-2003, 09:02 AM
Gamorrean Guard for me. If it wasn't for piggy I would have chosen AT-AT Driver or Darth.

Kidhuman
08-20-2003, 10:01 AM
I am gonna have to pick Vader. Towering over the rest.

Tycho
08-22-2003, 10:22 PM
So it looks like 14" Darth Vader with Removeable Helmet is the figure singularly honored as the very most favorite amongst SSG readers here!

Well, a most appropriate figure has won that distinction if you ask me!

I think we certainly narrowed down the list to the best of the best and but out most of the weeds really well.

HOw about you guys?

Kidhuman
08-22-2003, 10:27 PM
It was a blast Tycho. Thanks for doing this and the other one. Wish we had more to do.

Deoxyribonucleic
08-22-2003, 10:57 PM
maybe a bracket type tournament where at the end it's a one on one face off of the absolute best...we could go through the entire line again...I'd be up for it and I think it would be rather interesting to see if 14" vader were to win again in a bracket...I think he even won the bracket tournment on Hasbro's old website...speaking of, you guys remember how it used to look WAY back when it was still Kenner...

TheDarthVader
08-27-2003, 03:49 PM
DNA, it scares me that you can find a picture like that! :D
Tycho, I had a nice time voting...Thanks! Of course at the end, I would have voted for 14" Vader as well. Let's find a way to do more!!!

Tycho
08-27-2003, 07:44 PM
Let's find a way to do more!!!

Well, if you're talking about 12", there's little out there that we didn't cover - mostly new stuff that not everybody has experience with yet.

I did just get the Lando and AT-ST Driver from a friend who found them at Toys R Us. Boy are they good! (especially Lando, who I've wanted for a long, long time!)

I haven't seen Han in person, but don't need him either.

The Ewok wave isn't really out there at all yet, and only they and the Yoda is new. The Scout and Luke you basically get with the bike or Jedi assortment.

Garindan looks awesome! I won't be needing the Jawas or Obi-Wan no matter how good they are or aren't.

I was rearranging all my 12" boxes (those empty from figures on display, those that are not, and those that are extra) and I looked at all the scenes I've made with groups of 12" (they aren't scenes in a formal diorama sense, but Captain Tarpals is nowhere near OT figures, etc. etc.) and I made a list of what I HAVE to HAVE:

Lando General
Han Bespin (new head sculpt)
Leia Bespin
Boba Fett (from AOTC)
Jabba the Hutt
Nikto
Shmi Skywalker
Eeth Koth (OR) SaeSee Tiin (OR) Kit Fisto
Senator Palpatine (from TPM)
Destroyer Droid
Captain Panaka
Darth Sidious
Nute Gunray
Endor Rebel Soldier (with at least 2 head sculpts)
Anakin padawan (from TPM)
Lama Su
Taun We

What would be nice to have would definitely include:

General Veers
Rune Haako
Paploo & Teebo
Chancellor Palpatine
Luminara
Shaak-Ti
Bariss
Aayla Secura
Adi Gallia
Jedi Council completed
Momaw Nadon
Zutton
Labrina
Nabrum Leids
Kitik Keed kak
Hem Dazon
Elis Helrot
Feltipern Trevagg
Weequay
Barada
Klaatu
Oola
Salacious Crumb
Ree-Yees
Tessek
Orm Free Taa
J'Quille
Ephant Mon
Amanaman
2-1B
FX-7
Republic Gunship Pilot
Padme in backless gown
Padme Tatooine (from AOTC)
Padme Naboo from waterfalls
Padme Night Attack

Mara Jade
Yuuzhan Vong Warrior
Jacen Solo
Jaina Solo
Anakin Solo
Kir Kanos
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Quinlan Vos
Villie
Noghri
Durge
Ventress

OC47150
08-28-2003, 07:49 AM
Tycho,

I saw the new 12" Han just the other night at TRU and, I'm sorry (or happy, depending on the situation) to say, don't waste your money. He's the worst Han sculpt yet. His face looks painted on and gives the appearance that he's wearing makeup.

Lando does look good. Might have to pick him up.

The Ewoks aren't anything to praise either. They are little chunks of shiny plastic.

Yoda is smaller (and thinner?) compared to the 6" that came out a couple of years ago. I like the first one better.

The biker scout is the best of the bunch. Stupid me passed on him when I saw him at Meijer two weeks ago and am kicking myself for doing so.