PDA

View Full Version : Move over Hasbro

dark_one
07-01-2003, 06:34 PM
I can help but notice what poor quality Hasbro seems to pump out time and time again.

I look at the McFarland toys and see such great detail, quality craftsmanship, the shear size and weight of his figures. You get all this for just $8.99.

Yet Hasbro puts out their figures with very little detail, a great deal smaller, and even the packaging is of a lesser quality.

McFarland also puts alot of R&D work into their line. Far too many of the SW figs are not very accurate. The price difference isnt all that great. I know I would be willing to pay a dollar or two more for some figures with that kind of detail. Afterall the SW figs are smaller so the price should be able to be kept low.

I know vthey can do it if they tried. Ephant Mon is a testiment to that. In my opinion that is about the best overall figure, with its weight, detail, and size.

Am I just being crazy, or does anyone else feel slighted in their purchases, compared to what is currently available in the Action Figure sections of you friendly neighborhood toy dept. :stupid:

mm74md
07-02-2003, 11:07 AM
I have to agree with you. I've been collecting SW all my life with the original line as a kid & started again just before EP1. I never really collected any other toy line until this winter when I started MOTU. I'm more willing to pay $7+ for a MOTU figure than a 4+ SW figure.

I am Jabba the Hutt
07-02-2003, 11:49 AM
I can help but notice what poor quality Hasbro seems to pump out time and time again.

I look at the McFarland toys and see such great detail, quality craftsmanship, the shear size and weight of his figures. You get all this for just $8.99.

Yet Hasbro puts out their figures with very little detail, a great deal smaller, and even the packaging is of a lesser quality.

McFarland also puts alot of R&D work into their line. Far too many of the SW figs are not very accurate. The price difference isnt all that great. I know I would be willing to pay a dollar or two more for some figures with that kind of detail. Afterall the SW figs are smaller so the price should be able to be kept low.

I know vthey can do it if they tried. Ephant Mon is a testiment to that. In my opinion that is about the best overall figure, with its weight, detail, and size.

Am I just being crazy, or does anyone else feel slighted in their purchases, compared to what is currently available in the Action Figure sections of you friendly neighborhood toy dept. :stupid:

I completely agree with you, look at the detail of the new Terminator 3 Figures, sometimes it's almost hard to tell the difference between the figure and the scene from the movie.
I wish Star Wars figures were so detailed, I for one would love to see an Anakin Skywalker figure with 2 lightsabers, and a Count Dooku figure with the same kind of craftsmanship and detail that has obviously gone into the Terminator 3 figures. :)

JEDIpartner
07-02-2003, 01:21 PM
I like them as well
...but most of the McFarlane figures aren't really toys...

icatch9
07-02-2003, 01:45 PM
You guys are nuts. I agree that McF has amazing figures. I buy many of them and just love them. Still, these are not to be comparied with Star Wars figs (with the exception of Unleashed figs, wich by the way compete and resemble many McF figs). All McF figs are "in-action" figures. The do absolutly nothing. They are plastic statues. Every single one the them, from Spawn to Barry Bonds, none of them have any play value at all.

Hasbro is a kids company, and frankly does a very terrific job mixing realism with playability. They have a history and a legacy to keep the figs at 3 3/4 and the main line will never ever get bigger. They have as much detail as any other fig made today in that scale. In fact more for the price they cost.

If you want to compair SW to something start with GI Joe, or other military figures. Because they do not and should not compete with any other line larger in scale.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-02-2003, 02:26 PM
Curse you, Icatch!! you stole my thunder!! :D

While McFarlane's figures are beautifully done, they aren't action figures. I opened up a Neo and all he does is stay in his upside down pose. Granted, it looks stellar, but he's not really an "action figure" Heck, the Clerks Inaction figures have as much articulation as McFarlanes figures. They are great yes, but not for the SW figures. I would like to see maybe McFarlane do a SW box set or something, just for kicks. Maybe one box set per movie would do.

Episode I set- Obi-Wan, Qui-Gonn and Darth Maul
Episode II Set- Dooku and Yoda
Episode III- Anakin and Obi-Wan
Episode IV- I dunno, i wanna say Vader and Obi-wan, but that really isn't too much of a good scene to make. Maybe Luke w/ training probe thing w/ Chewie, Han, Obi-Wan and the droids.
Episode V- Vader and Luke
Episode VI- Vader, Luke and maybe Emperor.

If these were set up like the new Matrix box sets, that would be stellar. I can only imagine how awesome these would look, but they wouldn't be figures, they'd just be another dose of Cinema Scenes i'd happily purchase. Just my thoughts. :D

El Chuxter
07-02-2003, 03:06 PM
I'm going to go with Guyote and icatch9 on McFarlane. They're pretty, but they're not really toys.

However. . . .

Hasbro could look at some well-done lines by other companies that have superb sculpting and paint application and high levels of articulation and playability. I'm referring mainly to Toy Biz's Marvel Legends, Mattel's Masters of the Universe and Harry Potter, and Playmates' TMNT. They're all priced within a couple of dollars of the SW Saga figures and pretty consistently blow them away.

JEDIpartner
07-02-2003, 03:17 PM
Hey! What about me??? I said that before either of them did! ;)

dark_one
07-02-2003, 03:43 PM
I know Im really comparing apples and oranges here when I started this thread. By no means was I asking for the figs to go a larger scale. Also as you said Icatch, the McF figs are not toys.

I was just using those as an example of the type of quality possible for a reasonable price. I do love the posability and playability factors of SW figs but some just look and feel so cheap. I cant help but think that they could be a little better.

For crying out loud, look at most of the Leia figs, which was just about every boys fantasy growing up during the original flicks, she looks like a man! Hasbro cant even take the time to make her look like the dream girl of my youth.

In closing, keep the articulation, and "play" factor, just get the figs right and make them look like the actual character. (which they do a good portion of the time).

icatch9
07-02-2003, 03:59 PM
The SW line in one of the best in their scale and price range. MOTU, Harry Potter, TMNT, Marvel Legends are all so much bigger. A inch and a half is a huge difference in the action figure world.

Another thing that you have to take into consideration is price point. In the action figure isle, SW is the cheapest high profile line. That I think is a testament of Hasbro's ability to make a high quality product at an afordable price. However sacrivices have to made. Case in point, Ephant Mon. Perhaps the most amazing figure Hasbro has ever done, for a price under $5.00. This fig has to cost more to do, and there for they have to make up for that cost with another fig. So, we get the pathetic Droid Factory Fligh R2 wich is a pathetic fig, and an embarasment to R2 units all over the galaxy.

I'd say about 70% of Hasbros figs are amazing and the rest are divided between not bad and horrible.

So next time you feel like bashing Hasbro, look at other line and look at what they put out. SW is leading the way, and it's easy to find flaws when compairing them to bigger, more expensive figures, with less lisensing fees.

El Chuxter
07-02-2003, 04:17 PM
I wasn't bashing Hasbro (this time). I just meant they can learn a lot from these other lines. (However, not all of the lessons they could pick up on are the production end of things.)

For starters, I have a nearly complete collection of the MOTU figures. I have yet to see even one collapse under its own weight because of cheap plastic. And yet several of my 12" figures have done so, and I'm worried about the Unleashed.

Second, given a little time and disregarding chase variants, there are very, very few ML, TMNT, or MOTU figures that are difficult to find. (Dr Doom and Wolverine aren't exactly abundant, and Mer-Man was a pain to track down. Other than that, they're everywhere!)

I'd also like to see Hasbro keep figures in production. It sucks that some figures show up one per case and only are shipped for a short time. Marvel Legends IV are hitting stores, and I still see new shipments of Marvel Legends II popping up on shelves (and was even lucky enough to get a Doombot last week). But with SW, the "gold card" figures are supposedly out, and all I see are 4,823,697 Pilot Padm&eacutes. And when they sell out? Presto! More Pilot Padm&eacutes come out of nowhere. I worry sometimes that I'll find nothing else new this year, but if I ever need an army of Padm&eacutes, I'll have no problems with that.

Jargo
07-07-2003, 06:33 PM
Hasbroken sucks. Cheap cruddy quality. excrutiatingly bad paint applications just a nanomillimeter thick. Porly executed sculpts and awkward posing. These things cost nothing to make and yet they charge us the earth for them. I'm collecting Toybiz LOTR now because for less than half as much again i get so much more etail and accuracy and value for money. Sturdy plastics and a solid lump of toy for my money.
Hasbro is skimping on production standards more and more with each passing year and fleecing the faithful who keep buying the crud regardless because they genuinely love the toys whatever. hasbro are raping the life out of star wars toys.
Out of a whole years worth there are possibly three or four gems amongst the dross. That really isn't good enough for a toy company of their size.

DarthChuckMc
07-07-2003, 10:30 PM
I'm collecting Toybiz LOTR now because for less than half as much again i get so much more etail and accuracy and value for money. Sturdy plastics and a solid lump of toy for my money.

If you're displaying them YES, playing with them, NO WAY. The weapons for LOTR are just as crappy and more flimsy than Hasbro. The action features hardly work well, and the joints are easily broken. My 9 and 7 year old have almost all the FOTR and TTT figures open, and though the sculpts are better ('cept Aragorn, YIKES), and the paint is better ('cept that orange face on Grishnakh), we still prefer Hasbro's stuff. Heck, the Newborn Lurzt broke in two when I was taking it out of the package.

plo koon 200
07-08-2003, 02:05 PM
DarthChuck I agree. My brother has bought toys from other lines and the break way to easy. Hasbro toys are better for several reasons. 1)They don't break as easily, except those piece of **** lightsabers. @) They are more affordable. 3)Usually, they are more abundant. What I mean by this is look at the other lines. All you see are main characters. Look at Marvel Legends or LOTR, or even Harry Potter. Star Wars offers us so many background characters. While the distribution may not be good this year (which is why I'm assuming so many people are having this argument in the first place) once things start to roll we will have access to so much more than any other line.

Bobajames
07-08-2003, 04:42 PM
You guys are nuts. I agree that McF has amazing figures. I buy many of them and just love them. Still, these are not to be comparied with Star Wars figs (with the exception of Unleashed figs, wich by the way compete and resemble many McF figs). All McF figs are "in-action" figures. The do absolutly nothing. They are plastic statues. Every single one the them, from Spawn to Barry Bonds, none of them have any play value at all.

Hasbro is a kids company, and frankly does a very terrific job mixing realism with playability. They have a history and a legacy to keep the figs at 3 3/4 and the main line will never ever get bigger. They have as much detail as any other fig made today in that scale. In fact more for the price they cost.

If you want to compair SW to something start with GI Joe, or other military figures. Because they do not and should not compete with any other line larger in scale.
I just bought the Gambit figure from one of McFarlane's lines and i think it is amazing. NOT a statue; it has 38 points of articulation, and I don't think I've even found them all yet. He comes with a cool display base, a staff, and some cards that are being thrown. Plus the trench coat on him looks wonderful. Star Wars figures probably should never be this size, I prefer the 3 3/4" figs, but the detail and playability of this figure I have just astonishes me. Star Wars could use some improvements though.

InsaneJediGirl
07-08-2003, 04:57 PM
I wouldnt mind seeing someone else dabble with Star Wars as long as they kept the figures in a 3 3/4" scale,didnt have shotty paint jobs or lack of articulation.I could see Hasbro continue to make figures,but LFL seriously should look into other companies.

jpak001
07-08-2003, 07:22 PM
Hey Bobajames,
The Gambit you're talking about is from ToyBiz's Marvel Legends line. McFarlane's figures are pretty much statues. They'll break if you play with 'em, but look fantastic on display.

I agree with you on the Gambit figure though. Just got one the other day, this is definitely a top quality figure with some very innovative articulation. I've loved SW since the figures started, but for the last few years ToyBiz has been winning me over with the LOTR & ML lines. Although I have had a few broken ToyBiz figures too.... guess no one's perfect :rolleyes:

The things that dissapoint me w/Hasbros SW stuff is the sloppy paint jobs (especially with the eyes), and the general lack of availability.

Bobajames
07-09-2003, 12:44 AM
Hey Bobajames,
The Gambit you're talking about is from ToyBiz's Marvel Legends line. McFarlane's figures are pretty much statues. They'll break if you play with 'em, but look fantastic on display.

I agree with you on the Gambit figure though. Just got one the other day, this is definitely a top quality figure with some very innovative articulation. I've loved SW since the figures started, but for the last few years ToyBiz has been winning me over with the LOTR & ML lines. Although I have had a few broken ToyBiz figures too.... guess no one's perfect :rolleyes:

The things that dissapoint me w/Hasbros SW stuff is the sloppy paint jobs (especially with the eyes), and the general lack of availability.
i've broken star wars ones too... I agree with those problems, but about the Gambit, I could have sworn it said McFarlane on it somewheres.... Oh well.

sith_killer_99
07-14-2003, 12:21 PM
Hmmm, where have I seen this discussion before:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20255

Anyway, I say yet again:

Yep, dem sure is nice figers.

This debate hit pretty hard when the Spider-man line came out with 30+ points of articulation.

I think the bottom line is that figures (no matter what their size) cost about the same to develop and mfg. there is a small difference in the cost of materials, but it's not that big of a deal when you compare prices side by side. I remember Episode I figures going for $7.99-$8.99 retail though that was in Hawaii.

I know that most collectors want to keep the 4 inch line! I know I do, as a result we must sacrifice certain things, like extra detail or articulation. I have yet to see any 4 inch Star Wars figure (besides F-X7) that comes close to boasting 30+ points of articulation, or the detail of McFarlane.

But keep a few things in mind. McFarlane is notorious for not having much in the way of articulation. Let's face it McFarlane makes "Big kid" toys with little or no real "Play" value. Meanwhile the Marvel Legends and Spider-Man Classics lines both have great articulation and very good detail, though nowhere near as close to the detail of McFarlane.

In comparison, Star Wars figures are, IMO, at least as detailed as the Marvel Legends/Spider-Man lines yet way more articulated than McFarlane...well...most of them anyway.

So I would have to say, overall, Star Wars competes very well, in size, price and value...especially Ephant Mon...though Taun We was a bit of a rip off. lol

BTW, I think Hasbro should have sub-contracted McFarlane to do the Unleashed line! Just imagine a dozen or so McFarlane sculpted Star Wars figures...now that, would be awesome!