PDA

View Full Version : So are we getting a Sandcrawler or what?

mm74md
07-02-2003, 12:02 PM
I haven't heard anything about this in a while. Does anybody out there know if this is going to be done?

Dark Marble
07-03-2003, 02:35 PM
I keep hearing the same things over and over again. But basically it sounds like the sandcrawler is in limbo, an exclusive with out a home. It might not see the light of day for a while, and even then it could be an on-line exclusive. But of the few rumors I have heard, none of them have been good, and nothing on a release date. :(

JEDIpartner
07-03-2003, 02:42 PM
That's pretty much what I was going to add. Hasbro's willing to make it as long as someone picks it up.

JediTricks
07-18-2003, 08:32 PM
It's been picked up! See news: http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=ssnews2.setup&category=starwars&topic=31&show_article=775

Beast
07-19-2003, 12:55 PM
It's been picked up! See news: http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=ssnews2.setup&category=starwars&topic=31&show_article=775
We might be celebrating a bit early, but lets hope everything works out in the end. Steve updated the main page with the following note on the Sandcrawler. :)

UPDATE: Hasbro has informed us that they jumped the gun a little with the information above when in fact negotiations are still being worked out so nothing is confirmed yet. We also learned that it [Sandcrawler] will be retooled (not using the existing vintage mold). We will keep you informed on this highly anticipated item as soon as information is available. As always, information is subject to change.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Hellboy
07-19-2003, 01:19 PM
Lets hope it gets picked up and that we get a pack-in figure as well since this could be in the same $$$ price range as the Imperial Shuttle.

R1-G4 seems like an obvious choice since Hasbro knows we want it from the Fan's Choice Poll. Knowing Hasbro though it will probably be a Jawa or nothing at all. :cry:

Beast
07-19-2003, 01:26 PM
Well, the mock-up version had a Jawa and RA-7 (Silver Death Star Droid Re-paint). I don't think they'd do something like R1-G4 as the pack-in with the Sandcrawler. Would be nice to see it released though, maybe in the upcoming new Deluxe line with a couple Jawa's or R5-D4. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
07-19-2003, 01:30 PM
Fantastic, an all new mold not the useless vintage one. That's cheerfull news indeed. I'm sure someone will pick it up if it's retooled. That may have been the deciding factor in not picking it up. That it was ging to be the vintage mold which wouldn't have stood up well in todays market. A retooled version is a much beter option IMO, allows for new innovations and play features, A place to store the upcoming deluxe escape pod and also get a decent droid hold opening at the front instead of the side. Get the details right and the correct tracks. Perhaps illuminate the cockpit. I wondered why the escape pod coming with C-3PO was so small and now it makes sense, it'll fit inside the sandcrawler. hmmm food for thought indeed. New Jawas too hopefully in the Tatooine wave next year. Perhaps an army builder set of three or four. Packed similarly to the clonetroopers etc. R1-G4 and R5-D4, Throw in a new Uncle Owen and a cantina alien or two. Cool beans wave. I can't see a pack in figure happening if they spend so much to retool it. Or rather, make a new mold. :)

EDIT: over on another site a report states that it's due in the fourth quarter of 2004 and will be 90% retooled. And the deluxe cantina bar wave will be headed to a US store exclusively sometime early 2004.

Beast
07-19-2003, 03:59 PM
over on another site a report states that it's due in the fourth quarter of 2004 and will be 90% retooled. And the deluxe cantina bar wave will be headed to a US store exclusively sometime early 2004.
Fabulous news, Jargo. Especially on the Cantina Wave 2. Thanks for the heads up. I don't know about the Escape Pod being made small so it would fit inside the Sandcrawler though. You know Hasbro's mindset, they like to accurately depict the movies, so that would be using to much imagination.

And yeah, it's a shame the Escape Pod is a bit underscale. But it wasn't enormous in the movies either. After all, look how cramped it was with C-3PO and R2-D2 inside. And then how small it appeared next to the Imperial Sandtroopers. Even if it was buried in the sand. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Bimls

Beast
07-19-2003, 04:17 PM
Here's the full report from Galactic Hunter. Nice to see that us U.S. folks won't have to resort to on-line E-Tailers or Ebay for Cantina Wave 2. :)

Sandcrawler and Cantina Sets On The Way In 2004
7/19/2003 10:12:17 AM | Reported by Adam_May

Galactic Hunter Edtior Michael Sullenger spoke with Hasbro's Star Wars Brand Marketing Manager, Jeff Popper, at Comic-Con 2003 to dig up the latest on some mysterious pieces spotted in earlier this year, the Sandcrawler and Wave 2 of the Cantina Assortment.

According to Popper the Cantina Sets (click the image to check out our Galactic Preview) were released early in Asia due to a miscomunication. These sets are due to hit an American retailer as an exclusive in 2004. Stay tuned! Galactic Hunter will let you know as soon as we know when and where these sets will emerge.

Popper also noted the Sandcrawler vehicle, which was expected to see release this year. Hasbro decided to retool the vintage piece, and offer it at a later time. The new Sandcrawler will feature 90% new tooling, according to Jeff Popper, and it should see release in the fourth quarter (October through December) of 2004.

You can check out a mock-up piece that we previewed earlier this year by clicking the image. As always, stay tuned to Galactic Hunter, and we will keep you up to date on all the latest news on the Star Wars brand.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
07-19-2003, 06:05 PM
Oh well, So it wasn't early 2004 after all. but at least I got the most important bit right. :) I guess i got caried away with the escape pod too. Wonder which 10% they'll keep of the vintage mold then? Hope to Juno it isn't the treads.

Beast
07-19-2003, 06:08 PM
Anything is a major improvement over the block of orange plastic that the vintage line recieved. Hell, even it properly painted like the mock-up that turned up on GH was better then the vintage version. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
07-20-2003, 03:59 AM
In speaking with Hasbro at Comic Con, I was given the explicit impression that a new Sandcrawler had not been tooled yet.

They wanted to do it. They asked for suggestions as to what we'd want to see.

From what I've read you guys posted, I have them the following one-sheet, typed, on what we'd like to see with a sandcrawler.

I used everything I've seen posted here, and while I wouldn't want another Tatooine Luke, I put down all you guys have wrote amongst the possible exclusive figures and features for a new Jawa Sandcrawler.

Here's what I wrote:

POINTS FOR THE SANDCRAWLER FEATURES WISH LIST:

1) Re-tooled slightly larger than the vintage remote controlled one, so while not likely to scale, it does get a little bigger.

2) Cockpit (again) so the Jawas can drive it.

3) Vacuum shoot to “suck up” Artoo-Deeto.

4) Room inside for a lot of droid figures!

5) Perhaps a crane with magnet to raise Podracer engine part as salvage, as kind of scene in Attack of the Clones background. The upcoming Deluxe Escape Pod with C-3PO could also have a magnet for further “salvage mission play.”

6) Either real rolling treads, or hidden wheels so it rolls.

7) Exclusive figures:

a) R1-G4 (big black droid that didn’t win against Ephant Mon in Fans’ Choice Poll 3).
b) Treadwell-style droid with all the white tentacle arms.
c) Black low and domed mining droid that rolls out frustrating one Jawa.
d) RA-7 (silver Death Star Droid that was shown with sandcrawler mock-up that leaked to internet fan sites some months ago.
e) Some have suggested Uncle Owen, resculpted better than from the Purchase of the Droids cinema scene of 1998. (so he’ll look good with the great Aunt Beru figure that the Flashback assortment came out with).
f) Jawas always work. The CommTech one with two real poseable legs was most well-liked.
8) Figure not to include: Tatooine Luke (except that a Luke with molded poncho is
desired, though not actually from the sandcrawler scenes).

Thank you. Courtesy of your loyal fans and customers from SirStevesGuide.com

aka Josh Weisleberg
weiselbe@aznet.net
for further dialogue

I hope that meets with your guys' approval. We won't likely get everything on the list, but I'm sure you guys could come up with something I'm missing: I just thought of a new Gonk Droid or the "bantha droid," but maybe I hope to have made an adequate start.

-Tycho

Jargo
07-20-2003, 08:18 AM
Galactic hunter just updated to say that they've now been told it won't be 90% retooled just a few minor changes to update the mold. However there will be three pack in figures which bodes well for R1-G4, R5-D4 and a new jawa. Hasbro said they were trying to push this vehicle so it becomes a valuable piece of our collections. Um so why not make a new mold and really push the boat out then guys? Even if you'd only made the side we see in the movie and made the inside a playset with working pieces and made it bigger it would have worked. The whole poiint is the vintage mold is way too small. While it's fair to assume from SW lore that tatooine is a planet once mined by colonists and that the sandcrawler is an abandoned piece of mining equipment salvaged by jawas and that it's possible they would have had more than one size of crawler back in the old days, In the movie we see large crawlers, Massive crawlers and thus some effort should have been made to increase the size of this thing. Let's face it, a lot of people are going to buy this just for the pack in figures if they're new ones. If the figures are just rehashes who's going to bother? Money doesn't grow on trees and simply making it an exclusive doesn't guarantee sales. You'd better make this thing damn good for me to even contemplate shelling out for it. Three all new figures and at least new caterpillar tracks and vehicle chasis. An opening front hatch and a retooled droid hold. Inverted panel lines so they don't stand proud and the hull plates look like hull plates. I want to see the Jawas entrace retooled next to the droid suction tube/elevator. More detail in the cockpit.
You're obviously going to overcharge for this thing so make it worth our while.

Turbowars
07-20-2003, 10:34 AM
So basically, we are going to get the version that was shown earlier this year. The retool is the paint job. What a joke.

Old Fossil
07-20-2003, 01:58 PM
If the only way we're getting a new R5-D4 is as a pack-in to this Sandcrawler, so be it. I had really hoped for a carded version, though. Ol' R5 would look really nice on the blue and gold Saga cards!

stillakid
07-20-2003, 03:39 PM
I have to agree with some of the above. The vintage Crawler I have is okay, but more than anything, the treads need some serious work. Simply painting the current molded plastic just won't cut it and won't justify the price. I prefer to see them drop the electronics if it means getting real rubber on the vehicle. The radio controlled bit is fun, no doubt, but I think it's safe to say that a vast majority of people who buy this will use it more as a display piece, so movie accuracy should take precedence.

Jargo
07-29-2003, 04:59 PM
Oh hell yeah, drop the electronics to save money for us the punters. Redo the treads for definate. And have the front end open up like it does in AOTC as well as having the cockpit and side open. I want to play with and display mine but have no desire for radio controlled battery eating vehicles.