PDA

View Full Version : Lack of figures at retail / started collecting different toy lines?

jad
07-02-2003, 11:44 AM
Hi Folks, i'm pretty sure this topic is ok in this section as it is related to the current shortage of new Saga toys at retail.

My question is, because of this have any of you started collecting different toy lines?

I recently just started. After 4 months without finding anything, there is this craving I have to buy toys. I guess I just needed my fix so to speak :crazed: Anyway all those ninja turtles and he-man toys seem to be shipping fine, with new waves popping up all the time. Seems like the only thing thats not being stocked is star wars. I've been eyeing both of those lines for some time, but because I only have so much money I can devote to toys, I figured well eventually some new SW figures will show up and then i'll buy em, so I better not use the money on these other lines. But finnally last week I just got fed up and began collecting turtles and he-man. I must say I am very impressed with both lines. I haven't stopped collecting SW toys though, as soon as they show up at retail i'll start buying them.

So has anyone else started collecting other lines due to the current lack of figures at retail?

mm74md
07-02-2003, 11:56 AM
MOTU. First due to lack of SW at retail. This was in Feb/Mar, but since I've been lucky to find EVERYTHING but Unleashed on the retail shelves.

El Chuxter
07-02-2003, 12:09 PM
I wouldn't say my collecting other lines is entirely due to not finding new SW (I seem to be one of the few people lucky enough to actually find new stuff occasionally), but my wallet definitely feels less crunch when I score a few new MOTU, TMNT, or Marvel Legends figures.

To think that all three of these lines are within $2 of the suggested retail price of the Saga figures is pretty disgusting. Until this week, my shoo-in vote for the all-time best figure was MOTU's Trap-Jaw. He was recently bested by ML Gambit. Given the price and consistent quality of MOTU and ML, Hasbro could definitely do with imitating these toys a bit more.

jad
07-02-2003, 12:14 PM
Given the price and consistent quality of MOTU and ML, Hasbro could definitely do with imitating these toys a bit more.

I agree with you on this point. After buying some of these figures I started to look at some of my SW figures with a different viewpoint, granted some of them are very good, but others feel very sloppy and unexciting. This is mostly due to the paint jobs though. I don't want hasbro to change the size of the figures, I love the classic 3" size. But I wouldn't mind them charging and extra dollar in order to improve the paint job and in some cases the molding. I would gladly pay 6 dollars for some improvements in this area.

Another thing I see so far the MOTU has done pretty well is the action features, they don't interuppt the sculpts or play value of the figures at all, in fact their functions are very good for the most part, actually adding to the play, but not taking away from the articulation or anything.

Zodach
07-02-2003, 01:21 PM
I collected carded Star Wars from POTF2 through Episode 1. I got back into toys with the MOTU relaunch a year ago and have been stuck since. I open all of the figures that I buy now and have picked up some Saga that I like and some POTF2 doubles to display. I must say that I enjoy loose collecting much more.

Anyways, back to the topic. I love the blend of action features/articulation and sculpting/detail that MOTU brings to the table. They make great "mini-statues" for posing loose, but still retain a fair amount of play value for kids. Plus I can now get a lot of the figures I never had as a kid and always wanted :)

The Four Horsemen ROCK!!!!

jad
07-02-2003, 01:37 PM
The Four Horsemen ROCK!!!!

Yes I totally agree. I believe that without them Mattel could not produce nearly as cool of a line as they got now with MOTU.

I also love that some of the figures come packed with a video. Perhaps SW Saga could take a hint and put out episodes of the clone wars on vhs and package them with figures?

El Chuxter
07-02-2003, 01:44 PM
Yes I totally agree. I believe that without them Mattel could not produce nearly as cool of a line as they got now with MOTU.

I also love that some of the figures come packed with a video. Perhaps SW Saga could take a hint and put out episodes of the clone wars on vhs and package them with figures?
I doubt that'll happen, though. The MOTU cartoon is (well-done or not) basically an ad for the toys; they want kids hooked on both the show and the figures. (Kid sees Trap-Jaw and thinks he's cool. Takes him home, sees the video, and immediately wants Adam, He-Man, and Stinkor.)

Lucasfilm sees the Clone Wars cartoon as an independent story. . . which happens to have toys based upon it. I can guarantee you that the eventual release of Clone Wars on VHS and DVD will be pretty strictly overseen by LFL. And, with the constant move toward no freebies (read: Hyperspace), I would feel safe betting you $1 million that there will be no (legally) free copies of Clone Wars available anywhere. :(

Yes, the Four Horsemen rock. Their He-Man and Harry Potter figures are some of the best out there, and the upcoming Batman line looks likely to top them both. :happy:

JEDIpartner
07-02-2003, 02:14 PM
I've made a concerted effort to not go wacky and start collecting a bunch of different things. I enjoy this line so that's it for me. I really don't have the unexhaustable income it seems a lot of other people have anyhow... LOL ;)

Jargo
07-02-2003, 03:16 PM
Lord of the rings currently takes all my money. For one thing you get more for your cash and for another there aren't as many figures to fret over. I no longer feel compelled to buy star wars toys as they come out. I pick and choose and so far i've chosen not to buy anything this year after february.
I highly doubt my collection will have grown much by the end of the year while my LOTR collection will be reasonably complete. Hasbro has pretty much lost me as a consumer.

Dr Zoltar
07-02-2003, 03:24 PM
I pretty much stick to Star Wars -- except for a few other figures of other series that look cool so I pick them up. Like the movie version DareDevil or Nightcrawler from X-Men 2.

Mostly, I've been spending my money trying to get some back stuff to fill holes in my collection or trying to complete 2 CCG sets (non Star Wars related) that are incomplete.

TheDarthVader
07-02-2003, 04:10 PM
Yes. I must say "yes". Oddly, I have found some green package Lord of the Rings figures for $5.99. I decided to start collecting the Fellowship of the Ring figures only. (Because of money reasons). Part of this is due to lack of star wars figures to buy and my need to buy some toys. LOL. It might sound dumb, but it's the truth. ;)

Dark Marble
07-02-2003, 04:29 PM
I also have a good collection of MOTU and LOTR stuff. Althought I have stopped collecting LOTR and don't collect much of anything for MOTU. I am trying to stick to 2 things right now. I also collect Dragonball Z figures thanks to my brother who got me to watch the show back in 1998. I was hooked from then on. The If Labs (now Giant Ape) figures are some of the most detailed I have ever seen and I have collected all of their stuff up to now including Dragonball/Dragonball Z and Yu Yu Hakusho. But Star Wars and Dragonball are my biggest collections with Star Wars being number 1!! Everything else is just filler to get me over the hump.

Sidiously Darth
07-02-2003, 05:26 PM
Not me! I'm sticking with SW through thick & thin, plus whatever comes in between. I don't have the finances to spend on other toys, nor the desire. I can appreciate the quality of the other lines but I'm a SW collector to the bone. :happy:

Hellboy
07-02-2003, 07:16 PM
While my passion remains all things SW I have been buying the recent Justice League and Batman 2-pack figures. I would like to collect LOTR too but just don't have the space for them.

tagmac
07-02-2003, 09:23 PM
I've been collecting the McFarlane NHL figures since their inception, and the NY players from the other sports sets. I have yet to find ANYTHING from the Saga line, aside from one Battle Droid Launcher. Here's hoping all my pre-orders from Kebco come in soon.

As for MOTU, I loved them as a kid, but the case assortments alone are enough to keep me from buying them now. Four He-Mans/Skeletors and ONE of each other character per case - a scalpers dream! And seing as how He Man and Skeletor are constantly warming the pegs, they don't get re-stocked that much either. And I thought the Star Wars case assortments were bad!

hango fett
07-02-2003, 09:34 PM
at the rate it's going in my vast sea of nothingness, i might try collecting other things..i already collect yugioh, as my avatar might suggest...DON'T EVEN SLAM ME FOR THAT! i like and thats my choice on how i spend my money....
h

mista_carrot
07-02-2003, 10:11 PM
I'm actually getting back into 12" military figures...although they're not the ones you would find in a toy store (i.e. Soldiers of the World, GI joe, The Ultimate Soldier), so I now have very little reason to go to Toys R Us or Target or Walmart, which is good for my wallet.

JediTricks
07-03-2003, 02:42 AM
Thanks to not finding but 1 new SW fig in 7 months, I'm feeling real low with this line. Luckily, there's Lego with the AT-AT, MINI stuff, and Bionicle Rahkshi; Justice League got my attention & cash (on sale) recently; MOTU; TMNT; picked up a new Batman fig the other day; a few more Gundam pieces; and a few new Stikfas figs as well. Hasbro used to have a near-monopoly on my toy-buying dollar, now they're almost entirely out of the loop thanks largely to their own mistakes.

Oh, I don't count the Deluxe Super Battle Droid Builder set or the Clone Wars multipacks because I consider them all unbuyable.

jpak001
07-03-2003, 10:33 AM
I collect LOTR, Marvel Legends & various McFarlane figs, but I was into these lines well before the SW lull hit. I'm finding that my SW dollars are going towards X-Box games these days. :)

Hey, I actually found a new figure the other day though... the Destroyer droid launcher. I know it's not the best of the new stuff, but at least it's something!

JEDIpartner
07-03-2003, 10:37 AM
Not me! I'm sticking with SW through thick & thin, plus whatever comes in between. I don't have the finances to spend on other toys, nor the desire. I can appreciate the quality of the other lines but I'm a SW collector to the bone. :happy:

Okay... at least there's you and me in this one! :happy:

Jayspawn
07-03-2003, 10:48 AM
I've been collecting OTHER (ya hear me Hasbro?) toy lines for quite some time now. Right now I'm collecting Lord of the Rings, Marvel Legends, Star Trek, MOTU, and various Sideshow 12" figures because THESE toy companies CAN get stuff out on shelves. :happy:

aikman8_1999
07-03-2003, 11:11 AM
I collect a bunch of toy lines because they are cool.
I will not abandon star wars but I do I end up getting more picky about thier offerings(when i ever see them)

Sidiously Darth
07-03-2003, 12:00 PM
Okay... at least there's you and me in this one! :happy:

It's like we're Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid in this thread. Does that make everyone else here the Mexican Army? :crazed:

JEDIpartner
07-03-2003, 12:02 PM
Ooooh... and I was going out for Margaritas after work this afternoon. I may have to reconsider! LOL

Can you just see it now? Sidiously Darth and JEDpartnr armed to the teeth with Star Wars toys... "No one's gonna bust up this party!!!"

Dark Marble
07-03-2003, 01:25 PM
I've been collecting the McFarlane NHL figures since their inception, as for MOTU, I loved them as a kid, but the case assortments alone are enough to keep me from buying them now.

tagmac, I collect the hockey figures too! I collect them for my mom who has kept them on display (on the cards of course) for a few years now. I also collect muppets figures for my wife. And I agree with you, the case assortments for MOTU are the worst. Recently I hear they have been getting better, but who would know. But they are some great figures!!!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-03-2003, 10:41 PM
While there has been a major lull in collecting Star Wars at retail stores, it has not converted me to another toy line.

I will admit that some of the McFarlane Toys (including the hockey figures, of which I am a big fan of) are very appealing. Even some of the X-men toys that came out during the releasing of the original movie back in 2000, made my mouth water a bit. As a youngster, I used to collect the Toy-Biz X-men figures. They were especially attractive when stores started marking them down to $3 or less, but I knew that I would soon regret collecting them if I did start to buy them.

Since this down period began in January, I have since reactiviated my dormant E-bay account and got some Cinema Scenes and old figures I thought I would never get. I have also been purchasing a lot of stuff that I would not have normally paid for, but since I am getting older, I am contributing to bills, having to buy my own clothes, and chipping in for groceries. :( So while I may not be spending as much on Star Wars toys as years previously, the money is still getting spent.

aikman8_1999
07-03-2003, 11:33 PM
but I knew that I would soon regret collecting them if I did start to buy them.
Regret buying them?
I dont understand.

Mcfarlane figs are a million times better than star wars.
If hasbro doesnt want my money(and apparently they dont for lack of product) im sure others would gladly take it.

If i blow all my money on non star wars thats my tough luck ...

No reason to be loyal to a corp that doesnt care about you

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-04-2003, 10:20 AM
Regret buying them?
I dont understand.

Mcfarlane figs are a million times better than star wars.
If hasbro doesnt want my money(and apparently they dont for lack of product) im sure others would gladly take it.

If i blow all my money on non star wars thats my tough luck ...

No reason to be loyal to a corp that doesnt care about you

It is not that I don't think McFarlane toys are lame or anything. In fact I gave them mad props in my earlier post. But I would regret collecting them exactly for the reasons stated earlier, namely the money, space, and time it will take to start a new collection. For someone who has collected about everything in his life from baseball to hockey cards, comic books to children's books, and from Beanie Babies to Star Wars, I have to be careful in what I choose to collect next.

Old Fossil
07-04-2003, 11:52 AM
I bought quite a few LotR figures, mainly from the Fellowship line last year. The only ones from TTT I've bought were Gollum and Travelling Bilbo.

But the mainstay of my toy collecting hobby will always be Star Wars, no matter how badly Hasbro musses up their current offerings. Lulls like this give me time to build armies (working on an AT-AT Driver company at present), pick up missed older items on Ebay (got a C-3PO with Coin last month for $1 plus shipping), and stock up on collecting supplies, like star cases and figure stands. AND I have fun bidding and nearly always losing on Vintage figures at online auction. :frus: :greedy:

JediTricks
07-04-2003, 05:31 PM
Hey, I actually found a new figure the other day though... the Destroyer droid launcher. I know it's not the best of the new stuff, but at least it's something! I've seen it, it's really not. ;) :D

I forgot to mention Transformers in my previous list, but when I think about it, I've been waiting quite a while for new TF as well so once again, Hasbro hasn't really been that rewarding.

Can't wait to pick up new Star Trek stuff soon, been getting the Enterprise figs on deep discount (another thing I've been spending my SW money on).

droidekas2
07-05-2003, 09:31 AM
Besides collecting SW figures, I also collect alot of the McFarlane stuff. During this lull in SW I have been collecting the Devilman figures by Fewture. I had just discovered the Zennon figure when I was in San Diego and that got me to collecting their entire line, which I must say has fantastic sculpting, articulation, accessories, etc.

Turbowars
07-05-2003, 11:14 AM
For me SW is my thing, but I also collect Movie Maniacs, Tortured Souls and very few select Spawn charactors. Oh and the new Hellraiser line and . I tend to stay with Horror film figures and space sci-fi. The thing is, I really don't have a problm with finding SW figures. Just got the new Luke and Vader wave and the new 12" line with Scout.

LTBasker
07-05-2003, 12:28 PM
Yea I've been branching about into a couple other lines. Mainly what I've been interested in is the super articulated X2 figures. So far I've got Wolvy, also got a LOTR Gollum figure. Been wanting to pick up some Justice League and Batman stuff but they're asking too much money right now I think so I'm gonna wait. I've been finding some new SW figures that have been trickling in but the other stuff seems to show up better.

jjreason
07-05-2003, 03:38 PM
My other main collection (superceding even Star Wars) is comic books. A lot of money is devoted to this pursuit.

Other toy lines I've started on include Lord of the Rings and Marvel Legends. I've been looking at the new Matrix figures, but haven't gone for one yet. Morpheus looks very cool. I had a few of the figures made after the first movie, but they don't hold a candle to the McFarlanes.

I sold my "old" Toy Biz superhero figures after the Spidey Classics and Marvel Legends started coming out, they changed the scale and those older ones just look silly in comparison. I also sold my small collection of McFarlane Spawn/Metal Gear Solid toys to make some room.

I've also been collecting Heroclix, the collectible game pieces based on comic characters, but only the Marvel incarnations.

Collecting is fun, but it definitely can become obsessive and all consuming if you're not careful. Ask my wife about how much room she has downstairs..... :D

Turbowars
07-05-2003, 04:04 PM
I have a question for you MOTU, Transformer and Turtle collectors. Now I can understand LOTR and Sports picks, but whats the appeal of the 3 lines above? As a kid I hated MOTU and Turtles, but loved Transformers. Now Trans look really cheap and thrown together like some SW figures. I wonder is it because you had them as kids, liked them as a kid, but didn't get them or are you kids now? As a kid I had the 3.75 Joes and Trans, but never had any SW figures. Your not going to believe this, but I hated the vintage SW figures. Joes looked so much better to me back then. I can kick myself now. Or is it just to keep up the obsession?

InsaneJediGirl
07-05-2003, 10:13 PM
No.I pick up a LOTR figure now and then,but I'm not really collecting them,just a few characters that are my favorites.

I've been fulling my "dream" of sorts while SW action figures are in short supply.Buying as many SW books as possible.I'd like to have a somewhat complete book collection,always nice when there arent any movies left.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-06-2003, 12:25 AM
I am always reminded of the fact that no matter how many months overdue a certain wave of figures are in your area, 90% they will show up eventually. Some people rush to E-bay, or pay a steeper price online because they want to be safe, which is perfectly fine with me, but with the exception of the latter waves of the Episode I line, every wave of figures from POTJ, to the 2002 figures of the Saga line, have showed up eventually at retail, and some in enormous quantities. I'll never forget the panic over the last wave of POTJ (R4-M9, Teebo, and Bo Shek). Since a new line was about to emerge (Saga) and it was the last wave of POTJ, I immediately went panic buying for this wave, getting them at Wal-Mart the first time I saw them, when I really didn't need to spend the $$$. They eventually showed up at TRU, a few months later, in mass quantities (and $1 cheaper I may add).

So I am not fretting too much over the lack of figures.

evenflow
07-06-2003, 10:11 AM
Well, because of the lack of figures I have begun collecting the Marvel Legends.

seth_quinn
07-06-2003, 02:58 PM
star wars has always been #1 for me but I do grab the odd this and that now and again, though not due to the lack of current availability.

I would like to side track at this point to say that I disagree with the statement earlier about the lack of 'o3 hasbro/star wars product. I'm looking at my list of haves/have nots for this year and there is going to be a need for some serious bills to get this year done. about 30 figures, dlx, 3 packs, cine-scenes, vehicles, army builders, ..., there doesn't seem to be a lack of product to me, just availability. not trying to start anything, just my opinion.

...anyway, most of the other stuff I pick up are things that just look cool to me that I happen upon by chance as I travel the toy aisles. I have a couple of spiderman figures, a newray 1/18 suzuki gsxr750 that sits on my desk as daily motivation to put a real one in the driveway, a few spawn figures and a few other miscellaneous things like a pair of isz. I'd still like to pick up a few more spawn, a red isz, the borg assimilation figures, the mezco-scary tales alice figures and probably a few more that are just slipping my mind right now.

the only other line I'm serious about collecting is the mcgee alice figures. these just seem like such a perverse twist on a fairy tale classic.

all of the motu, turtles, lotr, transformers stuff looks good but none of it really interested me as a kid and it still doesn't. and that's ok, it just leaves me more money for star wars. :D

Jargo
07-06-2003, 07:29 PM
the only other line I'm serious about collecting is the mcgee alice figures. these just seem like such a perverse twist on a fairy tale classic.I bought the caterpillar because he looked cool. The only stockist I know that had them ticked me off good style and i haven't shopped there in a couple of years. So my Alice collection never got going.

My star wars collecting is at such a stand still that I've just packed up all my figures in storage tubs and I'm about to do the same with the beasts and vehicles. I'm so disenchated with it all that i can't bear to look at it anymore. The space will be used for my growing LOTR collection.

I'm also verging on moving house so packing up stuff early is also beneficial as it saves all the messing around nearer the time. But seriously star wars is pretty much dead in my house. I think I've just packed away 9000 loose figures and 60 million loose accessories. Felt that way annyhoo. I'll miss star wars, it's been a good friend over the years. I guess it's just time for a breather. I was getting tired of having to dust the thousands of little people anyway. Now I can dismantle some of the shelving units and get some space back in my bedroom. Bye bye star wars.......

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
07-06-2003, 10:14 PM
Latley, the money I've been saving on for SW figures have gone straight to buying anime DVDs and TMNT figures.

seth_quinn
07-08-2003, 09:51 AM
jargo - if you ever thought you'd like to finish what you started, now is the time. appearently wes craven is releasing a movie adaptation later this year so odds are good they're about to rise in price. after I pick up the last few I need, I figure I'll have spent in the 200/250 range Canadian, so with the 'pillar already in hand you'd be looking at maybe 100 quid at current prices to finish your set. they really are great figures, I'm surpised that you're the only other person I've ever come across here that has shown even the least bit of interest in them.

Patient Zero
07-08-2003, 10:21 AM
Well it (the lack of figures) has definately affected me. I still have not seen anything from the first wave released this year. Infact, I have given up bothering to look any longer. Sure I check when I walk past the section in Wal-mart, but I pass by TRUs without giving it a second thought. Hence the reason why I have been absent as of lately. Frustration and SW saturation, too much crap and not enough quality.

I use to buy one of nearly every figure and a second of about half the figures to open. Hasbro, you lost me and my money. You would'nt believe how my bank account has skyrocketed in the past 8 months though. I never realized how expensive all of this stuff was just to put it on a shelf somewhere. Obi-Freemore, why didn't you tell me!

Sure I will still pick up certian figures that I like to open, if I stumble on to them, but those figures seem to be few and far between. And that's about that. :zzz:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-08-2003, 10:45 AM
The lack of figures has definately gotten to me, but i collect other lines, so it's just waiting for more SW stuff is the problem. I do the LOTR figures, but i'm caught up, no wait, i THOUGHT i was caught up. I need to get the new Smeagol figure from the TTT line as well as the Helms Deep 5-pack. I also collect some McFarlane (Matrix, T3- once i see the film, i'll consider these) and i can't forget about the Simpsons. Wave 12 was just released and wave 13 is right around the corner.

I also pick up random stuff that takes my fancy. I do some of the Marvel Legends figures and would like to find the David Banner figure from the "Hulk" line too. I should just not buy random stuff though and save my money, but that would make too much sense. ;)

kool-aid killer
07-08-2003, 11:02 AM
I collect a few other lines but right now most of my time is spent trying to fight off my wanting to collect the new line of LOTR toys and the Transformer reissues. Unfortunately those are two fights that are going to end up in vain.

sith_killer_99
07-08-2003, 11:14 AM
I guess you could say I am collecting something other than the SAGA line. Here are a few examples:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3137079605&category=2474&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3137077092&category=2474&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3137076457&category=2474&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3136612397&category=2476&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3137093567&category=2476&rd=1

And many more. I have taken this opportunity to expand my Non-US carded collection! I have also been liquidating my non-Star Wars stuff and many of my loose figures and ships. I guess you could say I have taken this opportunity to re-structure my entire collection.

LusiferSam
07-08-2003, 11:51 AM
I have to say no, i haven't really "started" collecting any new lines. What I have been doing is trying to fill out my vintage collection and of course Legos keep accumulating. With no Saga figures to suck down the money I can devote more to the vintage line (when I can find stuff). What's more I find with the lack of availability my interests is waning fast. Well I guess it means more room for my Legos.

Jargo
07-08-2003, 03:28 PM
jargo - if you ever thought you'd like to finish what you started, now is the time. appearently wes craven is releasing a movie adaptation later this year so odds are good they're about to rise in price. after I pick up the last few I need, I figure I'll have spent in the 200/250 range Canadian, so with the 'pillar already in hand you'd be looking at maybe 100 quid at current prices to finish your set. they really are great figures, I'm surpised that you're the only other person I've ever come across here that has shown even the least bit of interest in them.I just liked the nastiness of the figures without ever knowing about the game. I saw them sitting on a shelf and I thought "God, they're gorgeous!" and bought the caterpillar straight off. I don't know of any place over here that sells them and right now with LOTR eating large gobs of cash from my wallet I can't afford to get any more. The 'pillar is in front of me now. He's got the attitude hasbroken should have got into a Jabba figure. Plus he's so solid and chunky this 'pillar. I had him as a bookend for a long time. :) Maybe I'll have a look arounbd and see if I can find a couple more Alice figures. That's if i can stop myself from ordering some Muppets figures......

Imperialist_14
07-09-2003, 06:44 AM
The visits to the stores have been disappointing so far! :(

So every now and then I have started picking up G.I. Joe Figures.

Hopefully I will start seeing some new SW Figures in the stores this week when I make my toy run!

OC47150
07-09-2003, 07:52 AM
Things are starting to show up in my area. Sometimes I get there in time, sometimes I don't. But at least the new stuff is showing up.

I collect 12" GI Joes, too. You'd think, since Hasbro makes both, the company could have a similar distribution system for them.

Jaff
07-09-2003, 04:02 PM
I only collect SW and in the end that is all I will ever collect. I have every piece out there but in the past three months I have not bought one thing. For 8 years I bought it all I guess Hasbro thought I was spending too much money so they created the sagging Saga line and gave the worst distribution ever this year. I'm not prepared to quit, but when I do I'm out for good, however I don't see me quitting this year even if I can't find anything.

Jargo
07-11-2003, 09:58 AM
Well, that's it. Packed away every last item of my star wars collection. The shelves are bare the poles are free of hanging ships and all the accessories have been rounded up and boxed. Now all I have is my LOTR stuff on show. It's pretty much the beginning of the end with SW for me. I feel like a rat leaving a sinking ship. And sinking it is. At least at the moment. Things may improve and i may return to me primary hobby sometime but for now it's adios Star Wars hasbroken.

I am Jabba the Hutt
07-11-2003, 10:16 AM
Well, that's it. Packed away every last item of my star wars collection. The shelves are bare the poles are free of hanging ships and all the accessories have been rounded up and boxed. Now all I have is my LOTR stuff on show. It's pretty much the beginning of the end with SW for me. I feel like a rat leaving a sinking ship. And sinking it is. At least at the moment. Things may improve and i may return to me primary hobby sometime but for now it's adios Star Wars hasbroken.

What about your shuttles? :) and where are you gonna put everything? Have you stopped collecting cause of lack of product? Cause the action features you loathed are now gone. :)
I'm gonna get the new Terminator 3 figures... they are so much better than the Star Wars line but Star Wars is my first love.
You live in the UK right? What about r2dtoys? I hear people talk about that store so much. You gonna get the new Darth Vader? The best Darth Vader yet :)

Jargo
07-11-2003, 11:03 AM
I've boxed up both shuttles and will be trading with one at a later date. I basically have two reasons for doing this, One I'm going to be moving house at some point soon so doing the packing up of little bits now saves time later. But also out of boredom. I find the toys unimaginitive and uninspired. There's too much that looks the same and not enough individual characters. Repacks of stuff is terminally dull. It's costing an arm and a leg to buy the stuff these days. It all gathers dust. None of it stands unaided.

I like a change now and then too. For the moment all the stuff is in boxes and tubs and put back on the shelves but the shelves themselves will be flatpacked over the wekend and then it'll all be stacked up either in the loft or in the space where the shelves were. Then i'll dustsheet the lot.

R2DTOYS is a fine establishment and John is a really cool guy but i just don't have the desire to buy anything star wars right now. Once I get over my malaise though I shall be giving John a massive order for back stock. So he'll get my money one way or the other.

Jaff
07-11-2003, 11:46 AM
Emperor Jargo your making me nervous. I feel like just what you said but there is still one or two awesome pieces every now and then. Epahant!, 12" Gamorrean Guard, the cinema packs. I'm holding on to collecting by a thread, but I have high hopes that the SAGA ways are dead and forgotten. Just gotta make it to next year man!

That's what I keep telling myself anyways.

I am Jabba the Hutt
07-11-2003, 01:54 PM
I've boxed up both shuttles and will be trading with one at a later date. I basically have two reasons for doing this, One I'm going to be moving house at some point soon so doing the packing up of little bits now saves time later. But also out of boredom. I find the toys unimaginitive and uninspired. There's too much that looks the same and not enough individual characters. Repacks of stuff is terminally dull. It's costing an arm and a leg to buy the stuff these days. It all gathers dust. None of it stands unaided.

I like a change now and then too. For the moment all the stuff is in boxes and tubs and put back on the shelves but the shelves themselves will be flatpacked over the wekend and then it'll all be stacked up either in the loft or in the space where the shelves were. Then i'll dustsheet the lot.

R2DTOYS is a fine establishment and John is a really cool guy but i just don't have the desire to buy anything star wars right now. Once I get over my malaise though I shall be giving John a massive order for back stock. So he'll get my money one way or the other.

What do you think of the Terminator 3 line Jargo? Are you a fan of Terminator? if so, you gonna get these? I mean, good articulation, good accessories (none of that crappy soft plastic like SAGA), realistic and believeable soft goods, amazing sculpts with perfect likeness, NO action features, and a not too bad a price. :)

Jargo
07-11-2003, 03:18 PM
If the terminator figures had been this good for the first movie I might have considered them. I'm not a fan of the sequels. I'm the same way with Aliens. Predator too. At the moment all my cash is going on LOTR and if I have any spare I'll get some of the Muppets figures. Other than that I'm fine. I have to thin bout what space I have now and with moving cash willl be tight for a spell. All the little domestic things will crowd in on the collecting and before yu know it I'll be on the wagon. But i'll still have plenty of cool toys to amuse me. I gues pulling in the purse strings will teach me to be even more circumspect in what I buy. Emphasis will be on value for money and actual quality rather than want. One thing is for sure, I won't be doing much army building for a long time now. I reckon there'll be a fair few pegwarmers now i'm now buying. :p

jad
07-11-2003, 03:23 PM
Jabba,
I don't think i've seen the Terminator 3 line. Are they done by mcfarlane?

Yknow i'm not gonna start giving up on the star wars line, but I myself have found that some of the latest stuff isn't as interesting. At first when the price of figures dropped to around 4.70 for a saga figure I was pretty happy, but now i'm starting to think that I would gladly pay 6 dollars a figure if they had more detail and paint. Someone on here said that the 300th Boba Fett's detail was an example of this, I would tend to agree, and add more articulation and non fragile accessories to boot. I'd gladly pay 6 bucks for that.

Anyway my main thought was that i'm not gonna stop collecting star wars, I really want some of the new stuff to get into the stores, but until then I can focus on some of these other cool lines, as well as get some of the older star wars stuff that I never had a chance to get. Actually a month ago I was able to get a pristine condition royal starship for 30 bucks :)

Jargo i'm sorry to hear that SW collecting is that uninteresting to you that you've packaged up all your stuff.

I love all my older stuff, especially the vehicles, so I don't think i'll be packaging that stuff up anytime soon. And I am super excited for the clone wars vehicles, like the Geo Fighter and the Tank which I never got.

I am Jabba the Hutt
07-11-2003, 05:50 PM
Jabba,
I don't think i've seen the Terminator 3 line. Are they done by mcfarlane?

Yeah, they're McFarlane.. and they're damn good.

http://www.spawn.com/features/t3/characters.html click on that :)