PDA

View Full Version : Payfor Website is an insult to Fans

bluesaber73
07-02-2003, 06:25 PM
I feel that having to pay for access to star wars episode 3 info is an absurdity. Why now? Is the SW franchise going through some kind of economic hardship? Isn't it true that the fans have always supported the franchise financially through our repeated viewings of the movies, collectibles, and other media purchases? Why must we pay a further fee for new information? Especially when almost all legitimate movie sites are of no charge.

I am a long time SW fan and would not want to bring any harm to the franchise but I implore all fans to boycott this fee and do not sign up for the Hyperspace section of the website !

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-02-2003, 08:33 PM
Just like every other thing in life, if you don't like it don't buy it.

Beast
07-02-2003, 09:11 PM
Note that you don't have to pay for anything. You either do or you don't. So far, everything I've seen is more then worth the 19.95 a year. Which is a hell of a lot cheaper then a magazine subscription for a year. Not to mention the news is current, and you get a real behind the camera making of the movie experience.

So many people asked for somthing like this, after seeing the features on the E1 and E2 DVD, that it's no suprise they went for it. And it's not like they are pocketing a ton of cash. The money is going for the webcam crew and the staff that's over there to run it. :)

Yes, most movie websites are free. But most movie websites don't bother with daily updates of a on-set diary as well as a live camera on the set of the film that you can watch. And let's also remeber the chats and all the exclusive pictures. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
07-02-2003, 09:26 PM
The Hyperspace is 110% worth it! I was a bit unsure at first, but now that we have loads of amazing set diaries, cool pics on the webcam, and these live chats (I'm in a Rob Coleman one as we speak), Hyperspace is amazing and totaly worth a few quid out your pocket!

PENDO!

Kidhuman
07-02-2003, 11:46 PM
I myself will not buy it. I want to remain free from what is gonna happen. Although it might be impossible for another two years to do that I will try my hardest.

The Overlord Returns
07-03-2003, 12:38 PM
why buy it when pendo is posting all the info he's seeing right here for us........

Thanks Pendo.

JEDIpartner
07-03-2003, 01:14 PM
What in the world is this thread doing in the "NO SPOILERS" section? I mean, really, the pay-for-play website is rife with spoilers. If you had seen half the things I have seen thus far you wouldn't be "spoiler free".

I paid for it... it's cool and I get all the updates I want. I suppose, if nothing else, this is a way that Lucas can insure that those who wish to remain "spoiler free" will do so!!!

Pendo
07-03-2003, 01:21 PM
why buy it when pendo is posting all the info he's seeing right here for us........

Thanks Pendo.
Well I'm not posting as much of the info as I originaly was, I have to be careful... If anything really stands out however, I will post it:).

PENDO!

bluesaber73
07-03-2003, 03:56 PM
In response to all the sheep that responded to my plee, I would like to further state that it is not the small amount of money that is requested or the value of the material being presented, it is a matter of principle and standards. This will open the door to any future sites doing the same. So that any fun web material presented for a film will obligate a user to sign up for a small fee.

In the previous films all updated material was presented free and made available to all fans. The fans are being taken advantage of and this is one more instance of the star wars franchise turning into an Empire that has lost touch with it's roots and fans. If that sits well, with you as a fan, I am sorry to say that you have not learned anything from these films. Thanks for caving in and opening the door for all movie internet sites to charge for their information.

El Chuxter
07-03-2003, 04:22 PM
Wow. I think it's more than a tad on the ridiculous side to charge for the info (especially in addition to the magazine and the DVDs the books and the CD-ROMs and so forth). I think it would be amusing (if it wasn't annoying) that, just over a year ago, starwars.com offered free fan site hosting with potentially unlimited space and now charge for much of their content. And I don't plan to subscribe to Hyperspace. I've even gone so far as to say Lucas has become corrupted by the money in the past few years.

But I wouldn't go nearly so far as to say people who do think it's a good deal, pay for it, and enjoy it are "sheep." And I can't quite figure out the comment, "If that sits well, with you as a fan, I am sorry to say that you have not learned anything from these films." Like it or not, SW has been commercial from day one. You may not like starwars.com charging for Hyperspace, but if LFL wants to charge and fans are willing to pay, you shouldn't insult people whose opinions are different from yours.

Beast
07-03-2003, 04:33 PM
Call us sheep if you wish. But if you buy any movie magazines or books on the making of movies and compared them to the content being delievered by the Hyperspace service, then you should be baaing as well, my friend. :)

There is no principles being violated. If you're unhappy with the idea, then don't subscribe. There are more then enough people that have and are enjoying so far, to make your complaints unfounded.

Look at the typical hollywood movie website. No content at all. $20.00 which is about the price of a book which you sure the hell won't enjoy for an entire year, is a pittance to many of us. As we've already told you, we enjoy the content we're receiving and plan to receive for atleast another 11 months. :)

So again, compalin all you wish. But I'd rather spend $20.00 for a virtual seat on the set during the making. Then a $20.00 - $30.00 for a magazine subscription that promises to take you behind the making of a movie. Where you get an issue every 6 weeks, that has less info then can be gleamed on the net.

And yes, for the previous films there was material available for free for the fans. There will be this time as well. This is just somthing extra special, above and beyond the typical fluff stuff that's been featured on the official site during the time that the movie is under production.

And finally, don't be waving a finger at us about being taken advantage of. Or how we're opening a door. The door was opened when books and videos first started featuring movie secrets. This is just the natural progression of that. It's not like we're having a gun held to our head, or are addicted the knowing what's going on. We just wanted to know the latest and greatest news.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

hamsterboy
07-21-2003, 01:37 PM
Why go there when you go here and not pay a dime? A little kiss up,to all here who bring us news,thanks.

Jargo
07-25-2003, 08:57 PM
The stills and movies are intellectual copyrighted to Lucas and his company. In the past his work has ben hijacked by online hackers and thieves. Leaks have made the story and visuals from the movie obvious from the early days of shooting. By charging he is at least getting his dues for his work and the work of those who work for him and so on. However. I won't be buying into the hyperspace frenzy because i have no need to know what is happening on a daily basis. Nor do i need to disect every tiny detail. The images will all become available sometime in some book or in some DVD gallery. I'm a patient man and i will wait. pay once for decent quality images rather than download grainy and fuzzy stills or glitched up streaming footage. The ramblings of minions do not interest me until they have been distilled and filtered and I only have to read or listen to the edited highlights of months and months of bland crap. For me the romance of star wars is dead. I'm interested to see the final movie and the designs but not interested enough that I feel compelled to sit and stare at it every day. Life is too short to waste on second rate sci-fi. An occasional dip is all I need these days so no to the hypedspace stuff and no to the official site period. There is nothing for regualr fans who visit any more. Hardly worth hitting the link to visit. so why take the time?