PDA

View Full Version : Theories on the origin of Chewbacca's name.

Darth Cruel
07-03-2003, 12:13 PM
I would like to here the theories other than the obvious. Or if someone is privvy to the true origin, that would be cool as well. I am going to save my theory for a while so that I can change it if I am wrong (J/K).

Yes I realize how trivial this subject is. But it has haunted me on and off since 1977.

The Overlord Returns
07-03-2003, 12:25 PM
Well...I've heard that Lucas once ran across a grizzled prospector, who promptly pulled out a pouch, pointed it to Lucas and said "Chew 'Bacca?"

...the rest, as they say, is history.

Exhaust Port
07-03-2003, 12:25 PM
When he was growing up he was addicted to chewing tobacco. It became such a part of his persona that eventually his wookie friends just started calling him Chewbacco and eventually it became Chewbacca.

I'm pretty sure that's canon.

JEDIpartner
07-03-2003, 01:18 PM
Since George is so fond of using Japanese words for character names, perhaps this is how it came to be.

The word baka in Japanese means "stupid" or "idiot". Perhaps this particular Wookiee was swallowing his food and choking it back up so the rational solution was to say "Chew, baka!" Hence, "Chewbacca" :D :rolleyes:

Darth Cruel
07-04-2003, 12:00 PM
If the address below works, you will see King Louie from Disney's "The Jungle Book" dancing and making noises to music. Some of the noises he makes sound VERY similar to "Chewbacca" although I believe he is actually making noises more like ch' b' ka.

http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/animatedfilms/thejunglebook/louie/video/018louied.avi

(Edit) - Ok. It is a working link, not an address. Cool that it worked, I didn't think it would.

El Chuxter
02-20-2010, 11:24 PM
Chewie originally had white fur like his daddy, but he kept spitting out the 'bacca juice, and it was stained brown.

Slicker
02-21-2010, 02:14 AM
He named him Indiana Jones because his pet dog was named Indiana.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-21-2010, 05:55 PM
Because no one in their right mind would've named a giant furry creature "Lumparoo."