PDA

View Full Version : Spiderman

AT-AT Man
07-05-2003, 12:58 AM
Just saw a comercial while i was browsing through the channels. It's for a brand new Spiderman show airing on MTV, next Friday at ten. At first i thought it was for a new video game or something by the way they started it up, but they said it was a show. The showed a shot of the kingpin, what i thought was the lizard, a bunch of shots of spidey, and more that i couldn't figure out. So if your interested, check this out next friday at 10 pm.

Hellboy
07-05-2003, 04:55 PM
Yeah I saw that add too. I've heard nothing about it but it looked pretty cool. From what little narrartion I heard in the commercial I'm assuming it's going to take place while Peter Parker attends college.

scruffziller
07-06-2003, 08:05 AM
Is it live action or a cartoon?

I saw the cast lineup on my ReplayTV. Going by the cast names it sounds like a cartoon. Neil Patrick Harris, Lisa Loeb, Michael Dorn, Rob Zombie, Stan Lee.

Hellboy
07-06-2003, 01:31 PM
Is it live action or a cartoon?

I saw the cast lineup on my ReplayTV.

Ah a fellow ReplayTV user. :D
I did the same search a few nights ago and was surprised with a few of the names listed. I saw Michael Clark Duncan on the list as well, most likely doing the voice of Kingpin. I wonder who Rob Zombie will voice? It's to bad it didn't give a show description but then MTV rarely does.

The commercials they're running are animated. Peter Parker is the only one heard and is voiced by Neil Patrick Harris. The animation looks good but the show could be completely different than the ad. :)

AT-AT Man
07-06-2003, 03:40 PM
yeah by the commercial it looks like it is cartoon, with some pretty cool animation. I will be tooning in to see what it's about.

scruffziller
07-06-2003, 05:21 PM
Ah a fellow ReplayTV user. :D

Wow, I thought I was alone........

Yea the more I listen around the more people like Replay than TiVo.:happy:

IG-808
07-06-2003, 05:24 PM
Yes it is a new animated series on MTV with a celebrity voice case. I personally was excited when this project was announced back when the movie came out, but after seeing the commercials for it on MTV I think it looks absoutly horrible. The animation looks lame. It almost looks like an animatitic for a movie. One of those pre-viz things they make for movies that are just rough ideas of what the movie will look like. And Doogie Howser as Spider-Man.............oh boy

THE Slayer
07-11-2003, 11:16 PM
***spoilers***

I watched the show and thought the "animatic" style worked well. It was pretty good imo. I didnt catch the begining but spidey was fighting some green ninja chic w/ a magic sword. I don't remember her name. It was a lot more violent than the fox spidey toon on fox. I never really liked the animation in that anyway.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-11-2003, 11:22 PM
SPOILERS

I caught both episodes (had the first one on at 10 and then the one you're talking about Slayer at 10:30). It was very very good IMHO. The animation was very sweet and i loved the fighting scenes. It was hella more violent than the fox cartoon (I counted about 5-6 deaths in two episodes, one beheading included!). The first two eps are great, but i think it'll get hella awesome once more regular spidey villians hop on in. Way to go MTV!! About time you did something worthwhile...now, try playing VIDEOS..that'll work too. ;)

Also, any word on if these'll get some action figure treatment? just curious. :D

AT-AT Man
07-11-2003, 11:48 PM
yeah i too caught these episodes, this show rocks. I love this new show, MTV has gained my respect once again.

scruffziller
07-12-2003, 02:59 PM
That new animation style is bizzare. Combining a real feal like they did in the Animatrix and in Final Fantasy but keeping the comic book look to it. The mouth animation I didn't like. The voices seemed detatched from the body. I found it intersetong that this Peter Parker looks like a combo of Neil Patrick Harris and the comic version of Peter Parker. Spidey looks a little too skinny for me, but oh well it was cool.

Dark Knight
07-12-2003, 08:27 PM
It the best spiderman yet! It drawn great. I could do w/out Neil Patrick Harris doing peter parker. Now I just need to get Friday night's off.

:D :crazed: :D

scruffziller
07-13-2003, 08:16 AM
It the best spiderman yet! It drawn great. I could do w/out Neil Patrick Harris doing peter parker. Now I just need to get Friday night's off.

:D :crazed: :D

You need to get ReplayTV/Tivo?(similar product)

AT-AT Man
07-13-2003, 12:34 PM
i'm phsyched for next weeks episode, because the Lizard is one of my favorite villians.

Dark Knight
07-13-2003, 06:09 PM
You need to get ReplayTV/Tivo?(similar product)

I don't watch that much TV. How much is a replay tv/tivo? I don't know if it would be worth it.

JediTricks
07-13-2003, 11:08 PM
I expected nothing but was surprised, it was very good thanks to strong pacing, great action, good writing, and respecting the material. I didn't like the CG animation too much, most specifically the lack of good shadows and deeper textures, but the pacing and action especially balance those negatives out and then some. I also thought it was interesting how even though it was on MTV (which I really don't think will help it, hopefully a real network will pick it up when MTV abandons it), there wasn't the deluge of popular current music soiling the soundtrack unlike nearly all their previous shows (Real World, Daria, etc.).

Hellboy
07-14-2003, 12:15 AM
I expected nothing but was surprised, it was very good thanks to strong pacing, great action, good writing, and respecting the material.

That matches my feelings as well. I would add that the voice acting was excellent IMO and I was also really impressed with the animation in terms of how well Spiderman moved. I even found myself enjoying the action sequences in these first 2 episodes more than the action scenes in the movie.

JediTricks
07-19-2003, 03:17 AM
Tonight's 2nd ep had the first piece of weak voice acting, the guest villain of Talon voiced by Eve - I just don't think she cut it there, she didn't sound like she was reading off of cue cards too badly ;), but she just wasn't the right note either.

Luckily, both eps had fantastic action and the first ep was wildly entertaining, with lots of dismemberment and a good killin'. :evil: My only regret is that the 30 minute timeslot (which on MTV means only 21 or 20 minutes thanks to advertising overload) doesn't lend itself too well to epic storytelling, so while each ep feels like a comic book, it also feels like a quick 1-shot story which is fine, I guess, but without "to be continued" 2 or even 3-parters, forces the ending too much IMO.

Still, another great hour of Spider-man television!

LTBasker
07-19-2003, 06:10 AM
Hmm, not sure what to think of this series so far. The Peter thinking to himself doesn't seem to be handled very well, I like it was handled in the movie and the 90's cartoon. But oh well. Overall the animation can be enjoyable, especially when they get into heavy scenes, but the basic scenes just seem like a cheap commercial. Kinda grows on ya though..

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-21-2003, 09:30 AM
3/4 of the episodes have been very excellent in my opinion. The one w/ the chick voiced by Eve was a waste to me. It didn't explain ANYTHING about her and whatnot. It was like, "Hey, random girl jumping around the city and mouthing off to Spidey" If he was that concerned with her, dammit, web her up and hand her over to the police!!! I was mad i stayed up for that episode, but the other 3 were good. Lizard being voiced by Rob Zombie was awesome.

I also agree with there seems to be A LOT of commercials. Eh, what can ya do?
:D

JediTricks
07-21-2003, 11:36 PM
Tape it and fast forward through 'em. ;)

At least Talon stealing the MTV Movie award was a funny little in-joke... ok, maybe not "funny" in a traditional sense.

JediTricks
09-01-2003, 08:38 PM
Friday's ep, which I just watched, was pretty good. Still feels like it should be 10 minutes longer, but I was glued to the screen all the way through.

AT-AT Man
09-02-2003, 05:53 AM
yeah friday's episode was good. but this fridays episode looks cool, because it has a bad *** bad guy, Kraven. And by the preview, it looks as though soething big is suposed to happen.

JediTricks
09-03-2003, 04:02 AM
If any of the stuff we saw that could be considered "earth shattering" to this Spidey world (anything that would have long-term repercussions beyond this ep) wasn't some sort of fantasy or dream sequence to be wiped out at the end of the ep, I'll be totally floored. Even if they do pull a cheesy "and it was all a lie!" at the last minute, I'll probably still enjoy the ep though.

AT-AT Man
09-03-2003, 05:52 AM
yeah just found out, i'll be missing that episode, so if anyone does see it, can you give a review of the episode for me. I know it will be on again, but i don't want to have to worry about that.

JediTricks
09-07-2003, 09:33 PM
I was right and I was wrong...

right: Dream Sequence that had no real repercussions.

wrong; it's a 2-parter!

I thought casting Kathy Griffin and Michael Dorn as voices here was a misstep, but Stan Lee's scene was fantastic and way better than his usual cameos.

JediTricks
09-14-2003, 07:15 PM
Double-wrong!

It's a 3-parter and something actually did change in the real-world continuity, I am floored by this whole ep! Some of the smaller action shots, like Spidey taking off into high-speed webslinging, were absolutely mind-blowing.

AT-AT Man
09-14-2003, 07:21 PM
damnit, i'v missed both episodes so far. I'm very mad. I will try and catch firdays this week, don't know if i'll be able to, my birthday friday and i might be out partying.

JediTricks
09-14-2003, 08:30 PM
They replay Spider-Man on MTV so much, I can't see how you could miss both eps between now and Friday. ;) But if you do, tape both the new ep and the rerun after it, since the rerun will be last week's ep (part 2 of 3).

Hellboy
09-15-2003, 06:26 PM
Well JT you're right MTV was airing the episodes at multiple times during the week when the show first started but in the last 2-3 weeks they have trimmed that back to only showing on Friday. I recorded a pre-season Football game instead of watching the Friday episode 3 weeks ago thinking I would catch it at another time in the coming week only to miss it altogether. From time to time MTV does change their programing at the last minute but as of now there is no episode airing this Friday and no scheduled show for the next 7 days.

JediTricks
09-15-2003, 09:21 PM
Erk! According to AICN, that was the last ep! :(