PDA

View Full Version : Navigator on a Spice Freighter

Bosskman
07-05-2003, 11:32 AM
"My father never fought in the wars, he was a navigator on a spice freighter."

I wonder if this line has anything to do with EpIII at all. Was this a complete and total lie that Owen made up to tell Luke or is there any element of truth to it. It's probably nothing, I mean every line in the OT doesn't need explanation in the prequels but it still makes me wonder.....

Pendo
07-05-2003, 03:14 PM
It would be cool to have Anakin working on a spice freighter, possibly as a disguise or something :). Good idea Bosskman :).

PENDO!

JEDIpartner
07-07-2003, 10:38 AM
I think Owen just made that part up since it sounds like a boring, honest job that anyone could have had...

scruffziller
07-07-2003, 11:42 AM
Who knows they may actually try to play that in. I hope they do. There is so much distanceing from the PT to the OT that I can take.

JEDIpartner
07-07-2003, 01:05 PM
How would that distance it? I had always thought that Owen was making that up after we learned Vader was Luke's dad anyhow.

icatch9
07-07-2003, 03:27 PM
Owen probally made it up. Chances are Owen is not well versed in the ways of space travel. I mean, he's a "country bumkin" now isn't he. It's a fun thought, but I doubt it will have any relivance in the next movie.

Rogue II
07-07-2003, 03:36 PM
Has there been any confirmation that Owen will be in Episode 3? He really seems to have a low opinion of Obi Wan in ANH and I want know why.

The Overlord Returns
07-07-2003, 03:39 PM
We already know why.....he blames Obi Wan for Anakins demise...that much is clear.

"He thought your father should have stayed at home and not gotten involved".....

Rogue II
07-07-2003, 03:51 PM
Good point, but I don't see how Owen can be very close to Anakin. Sure, Anakin borrowed Owen's speeder to go slaughter a bunch of Sandpeople and bring back their mother's body, but other than that, they didn't seem to know each other very well. Besides, Obi Wan and Owen haven't met yet.

If I were to speculate, Anakin would go back to Tatooine to get away from it all, Obi-Wan would stop by the Lars Residence and drag him back into the battle. Towards the end of the film, Obi-Wan would return to Tatooine with baby Luke and to tell Owen that Anakin is "dead." Ben Kenobi would then wander into the sunset and take up residence just past the Dune Sea.

Anakin2121
07-07-2003, 04:13 PM
Owen only actually met Anakin once. He certainly didn't know anything about Anakin other than that he was a Jedi and his mother lived with them and later died.

Obi-Wan obviously told Owen that Luke was Anakin's kid, but to never let Luke know the truth about his father, to keep him safe, to tie him down with the farm.

Owen obviously was allowed to make up whatever past for Anakin he wanted.

The Overlord Returns
07-07-2003, 04:14 PM
How do we know they only met once?

Jedi Clint
07-07-2003, 04:28 PM
In ANH Owen doesn't want the child he adopted to run off and suffer what ever fate Obi Wan told him Anakin had suffered. He loved Luke.

I maintain that Obi Wan told Luke what he needed to in order to get him to tag along to Alderaan. He preyed upon Luke's rebellious feelings toward Owen in doing so.

Bosskman
07-07-2003, 04:40 PM
Of couse Owen has a low opinion of Obi Wan and the Jedi in General. All Owen knew of them, really, was that they took away his step-brother, who he only saw once. He knew Anakin was separated from his mother, and only got to see her when she was mudrered by tuken raiders. If that wasn't bad enough, during his own mother's funeral, Anakin gets sucked into a damned fool idealistic crusade because of Obi Wan. I don't think Owen wants that for Luke.

2-1B
07-08-2003, 02:38 AM
Good points, everyone.
I'm content with what little interaction Anakin and Owen have had. Owen already knows the name Obi-Wan Kenobi from when R2 rolls on over to the Shmi funeral so if Owen only meets Obi-Wan at the end of Episode III, I think it is quite enough. :)

I agree with Bosskman that we've already seen Anakin "follow Obi-Wan on some damn fool idealistic crusade." Before I saw AOTC, I wasn't too sure of this but it all works fine for me. :)

Remember that Anakin literally leaves for the beginning of the Clone Wars. I think it fits in mighty fine with Luke/Ben's discussion of the Spice Freighter vs. Clone Wars history. :)

OC47150
07-09-2003, 01:22 PM
I think the navigator line is a cover story fabricated to prevent Luke from digging too far in the family history.