PDA

View Full Version : Figures.com

SirSteve
07-09-2003, 03:27 AM
As most of you know, Figures.com is an affiliate of SirStevesGuide.com (we are on the same Action Online network) and I want to know, what do you think about Figures.com?

I am talking in site functionality and appearance. Please be as honest as need be. Don't hold back...

LTBasker
07-09-2003, 04:09 AM
I don't really go to'em much *keeps rambling as you're now scrolling down to the next post* but the site has been helpful quite a few times. It was easier to get info on multiple toylines I wasn't very familiar with while not having to look very hard. The layout and such can be buggy but overall they're not too shabby from the few times I've used'em.

JediTricks
07-09-2003, 05:14 AM
As a minor reporter there, "I love the site!" :D

As an action figure fan, I think the news needs an overhaul, the system has too many sections and presents pictures a little old fashioned for my tastes. Also, the news there doesn't have enough flow for my tastes, that one is something I'm not sure I can explain as easily though. The pics in the news are sometimes too big, like 70k to over 100k even, that's too much. They have like 160 news sections, they need more reporters to cover this stuff than just Jeff.

I think the forums need a redesign, the current sections lack focus. The only real toy discussion section there is "General Discussion" and I think it comes off as a mish-mosh (especially with some of the inane stuff a few of ther posters put up there). I'd like to see it broken down into sections like:
Robots Military Superheroes Gen DiscAnd a few others like that.

As for appearance... too many ads.

DewMan37
07-22-2003, 10:46 PM
The pics in the news are sometimes too big, like 70k to over 100k even, that's too much.

o_O

70k to 100k is too big? You've got to be kidding me. If you want to see detailed images of the figures, you're going to have to deal with 'large' images. You must be on dialup...

stillakid
07-23-2003, 12:35 AM
figures dot what?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-23-2003, 12:43 AM
I don't like their layout very much, at all. It seems to take me forever to find some pics on their site.

I do like how SSG is growing and getting more "connections" and whatnot though. More Power to ya!!!

But, still, their layout sucks, in my opinion. :D

JediTricks
07-23-2003, 12:56 AM
o_O

70k to 100k is too big? You've got to be kidding me. If you want to see detailed images of the figures, you're going to have to deal with 'large' images. You must be on dialup...
Yeah, I'm on dialup. But also, I don't believe that the NEWS articles require big detailed pics (as is evident in my articles both there and here ;)), I think anything over 45k should be linked to so as not to distract from the text, and if there are multiple pics for the article, they should be thumbnails that open to the big pictures.

Beast
07-23-2003, 01:15 AM
Agreed with JT on all counts. I like the site, but it could use a massive redesign like this place got a long time ago. Not to mention their forums are sort of a mess, so I only post their occassionally. I'd rather discuss the Non-Star Wars stuff that I want here. Like Hellraiser, Marvel, and TMNT. Especially when JT's outting my user name over there. J/K JT. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
07-23-2003, 02:18 AM
You *could* have used a different sig-line. :D

DewMan37
07-23-2003, 07:02 PM
Yeah, I'm on dialup. But also, I don't believe that the NEWS articles require big detailed pics (as is evident in my articles both there and here ;)), I think anything over 45k should be linked to so as not to distract from the text, and if there are multiple pics for the article, they should be thumbnails that open to the big pictures.

I looked around a bit, and couldn't find any images on the news page, but I will agree with you on that. Thumbnails are always a good idea...;)

InsaneJediGirl
07-24-2003, 01:49 PM
The news and such is great,dont hop over there too much but they need a new layout to streamline things.To me its far too cluttered looking.

plasticfetish
07-24-2003, 08:24 PM
You *could* have used a different sig-line. :D
Hahahaha. Yeah, I looked at their forums for the first time just now and figured you out in 10 seconds JarJar. Very funny.

OK.
As far as functionality goes, I've pretty much always just looked over there to see what "the latest news" on the home page was. I've not bothered with the forums and now that I've looked I agree with JT that it's a bit of a "mish-mosh." I would suppose that for the most part the site functions just fine. It's a news site for the most part (it seems) and I'm able to spot and read the articles pretty easily. I saw the comment about JT being on "dial up" ... in my opinion, sites should be designed first and foremost with dial up users in mind. The minute broadband started to get popular people started letting go and loosening up with their page load times. I want my pages to load quickly and smoothly, that's why I pay for broadband ... lean and mean is the way to go. Look around, most of last years Flash heavy corporate sites are going back to using tighter more productive designs.

Appearance can mean a few things. First the functional aspect of appearance ... IJG just mentioned that she thought it looks "cluttered" ... I can see that. Many images seem to be right up next to other images, causing your eye to sort of (hmmm) not know where to go. The images for the "top stories" column are just a few pixels from the ad buttons to the left. Needs to be more separation, would help the ads to stand out more and reduce "clutter". As well, the text in the "top stories" column seems pretty crowded while to the right in the "latest news" column there's room plus white space to separate it from those ads. There's a lot of little nit picky detail things that I could suggest, but that leads to ...

Appearance from an aesthetic standpoint. I like the general theme of the site using a card back for a frame. The header with the j-hook is clever, but again crowded by an ad banner. I'd say in general, just a little more empty space between images and tables would make things look better. For the home page I'll suggest that smaller ad buttons stay to one side and larger ones stay to the other. (You've done this for SSG and I think it works pretty well.) For the white center tables(s) I'd suggest perhaps instead of 2 long vertical columns ... maybe one where "top" stories are at the top, "latest news" is next and "sponsor news" and the rest follow. The eye tends to want to work from left to right and top to bottom, stopping at the pretty pictures on its way. having two vertical columns makes you zigzag a bit too much.

OK, in general ... pick a specific theme and stick with it. The card back theme is great, it's obvious and simple and should be used throughout the site. That means having the same j-hook header on every page with the same navigation bar (or whatever) also. Pick a simple color palette and stick with it. Pick a small handful of fonts to use (5 or 6 max) throughout the entire site (that means for graphics and text.) Have one (maybe 2) logo variations and try to use only one or two sizes for each. Logo continuity is important, if it changes then people won't remember it.

All right, I'm boring myself ... but that's the general idea. All in all it's a good site and I do look over at it from time to time.