PDA

View Full Version : Yareal Poof was pulled for the Kaminoans

JediTricks
07-09-2003, 04:40 AM
Being one of the few SW fans that liked Jedi Master Yareal Poof, even I barely noticed his absence in EP II, but apparently he was pulled from the council so audiences wouldn't confuse him for a Kaminoan cloner. I suppose that makes sense, but I still think it's weird to torpedo the guy so another race can live, it's not like Eeth Koth was pulled because he looked too much like Maul (for good reason).

Pendo
07-09-2003, 07:30 AM
But even though he wasn't in Ep2, he's still going to be confused with them when the movies are watched as a trilogy anyway, like they're supposed to be :rolleyes:. I think they should have designed the Kaminoans differently anyway, I didn't like their design too much.

PENDO!

scruffziller
07-09-2003, 08:14 AM
But even though he wasn't in Ep2, he's still going to be confused with them when the movies are watched as a trilogy anyway, like they're supposed to be :rolleyes:. I think they should have designed the Kaminoans differently anyway, I didn't like their design too much.

PENDO!
Yea that is an excellent point Pendo. I would have placed that in your reputation but I already have given some before.:(

JEDIpartner
07-09-2003, 09:17 AM
I think they should have designed the Kaminoans differently anyway, I didn't like their design too much.

Wow! Really??!! I thought the design and execution of the Kaminoans was about the best part of the creature animation in that film. There were such nice subtleties in their character that they seemed most believable...

Arrogant Arse
07-09-2003, 12:23 PM
Off topic, but JEDIpartnr, since your Avatar is Stitch, did you notice how the head alien in Lilo & Stitch is VERY similar looking to a Kaminoan?

Battle Droid
07-09-2003, 07:17 PM
What the Hell was Lucas thinking, Poof is da Man! He's much better than that stupid Dinosaur Head Jedi, which I'm glad got killed by Jango.

Poof is also confused with Gasgano all the time.

Pendo
07-10-2003, 02:55 AM
HEY! Leave Coleman Trebor alone! He's great! :p

PENDO!

JEDIpartner
07-10-2003, 12:35 PM
Off topic, but JEDIpartnr, since your Avatar is Stitch, did you notice how the head alien in Lilo & Stitch is VERY similar looking to a Kaminoan?

I DID notice that and some similarities in some of the other aliens in the court. It was a great little film. :happy:

scruffziller
07-10-2003, 01:58 PM
I DID notice that and some similarities in some of the other aliens in the court. It was a great little film. :happy:

Show a pic of this leader alien look a like.

TheDarthVader
07-10-2003, 02:02 PM
I like Yareal Poof; he was cool. All they would have to have done was show Yareal's extra set of arms and (for heaven's sake) let him stand up sometimes!!! This (IMO) would have done away with any confusion as far as mistaking him for a Kaminoan. If they let him stand up in a scene, this would have done away with any confusion as far as mistaking him for the pod racer Gasgano. He could have...no SHOULD have...lived on to be in Episodes 2 AND 3.

Mandalorian Candidat
07-10-2003, 03:20 PM
So Poof went poof. Heh, didn't matter to me in the least. I thought it was a good point to mix up the council a little so it wouldn't make the Jedi hierarchy so static. He was kind a bizarre anyways, like a Q-tip come to life.

However, it does beg the question whether he would have been a harder target for Jango Fett than Coleman yraG. :p

JediTricks
07-11-2003, 06:24 PM
I like Yareal Poof; he was cool. All they would have to have done was show Yareal's extra set of arms and (for heaven's sake) let him stand up sometimes!!! This (IMO) would have done away with any confusion as far as mistaking him for a Kaminoan. If they let him stand up in a scene, this would have done away with any confusion as far as mistaking him for the pod racer Gasgano. He could have...no SHOULD have...lived on to be in Episodes 2 AND 3. I totally agree, though IMO it would have continued to make his race confusing with Gasgano's since they're pretty much the same shape but different sizes (though really, why do they have to be entirely different races anyway?). But as for major plot points like the Kaminoans, it would have solved things and they could have even altered Poof slightly with a different texture or something to make him stand out more (or once again, the races could have been related).

I guess the problem really is that Ep 1 and 2 have too many similar alien designs, trying to do something different from the OT has created problems like this.

Tycho
07-11-2003, 10:29 PM
I think there should be this kind of jellyfish alien that secrets stuff it glides on hard surfaces with, or it moves itself in a container set up to protect it.

They also should have a blob. More amoeba than Jabba. Somehow it should make sounds so it could talk.

The kind of Jedi Ood Bnar was, a tree-like Jedi would be cool, so one of them could be a plant.

Watto was great, because he and the Geonosians could fly.

Oppo Rancisis is as close as they need to go to a snake or worm.

A t'landa Til is almost like a reek, but intelligent. That might be interesting.

The Acklay was great!

Men In Black II beat them to having an alien like Michael Jackson.

InsaneJediGirl
07-12-2003, 10:14 PM
I think it was a dumb excuse to pull Poof.They are clearly not the same species,anyone who looked at the body structure and facial features could tell.

Tycho,I agree with you on Master Ood Bnar!Perhaps we'll see him in Episode 3 but one can only hope :D

Tycho
07-12-2003, 11:01 PM
JediGirl, you mean "see one of his species," right?

Master Ood Bnar himself turned into a giant tree during the hailstorm of fire on Ossus in order to protect Jedi relics from SiIth Lord Exar Kun, until 4,000 years later when he dies, passing his ancient trust to Luke Skywalker.

It's possible that no modern movie Jedi ever met him - not even Yoda, until Master Luke came on his mission to re-establish the Jedi 6 years after the Emperor was destroyed and purge the Dark Side from Kam Solusar.

InsaneJediGirl
07-13-2003, 06:56 AM
Well..considering a major battle of the Clone Wars happened on Ossus,he could quite possibly show up still.I'm not sure of the timeline,but it could happen:)

Tycho
07-13-2003, 11:14 AM
Did I miss a story? A major battle of the Clone Wars occurs on Ossus?

Really? Which story is that in? That sounds wasy cool!

InsaneJediGirl
07-13-2003, 01:52 PM
Actually,I got the information off a website.TheJedi.Org (http://www.thejedi.org)-I assume has all true/complete info from printed EU sources.The info is too long to post it all here,but this is the stuff that pertains to the Clone Wars

Ossus
In an attempt to preserve a cache of lightsabers, Master Ood Bnar initiated his lifecycle change, becoming a gnarled old tree with the lightsabers engtangled in his roots. He was nearly destroyed by the radiation from the Cron System. Over the ages, great cities grew out of the planet's rough, irradiated terrain. In modern times, the planet was nearly wiped out during the Clone Wars. The enemies of the Jedi Knights struck there, attempting to destroy the stronghold and root out the Jedi. Although the planet was devastated, the Jedi survived.

EDIT:Forgot this-

The planet's atmosphere is laced with electrical storms, probably resulting from the near-devastation it suffered during the Clone Wars.

Tycho
07-13-2003, 03:13 PM
It's possible. BUt I wonder if they got the Sith Wars confused with the Clone Wars.

One was fought against Exar Kun, the other versus Darth Tyranus.

But I never had read anything about the Jedi going back to Ossus since the Sith War, 4,978 years before the Clones Wars ever began.

Hmmm. There's something to wonder about. You think the Jedi would go back there since. The original Jedi Councils met on Ossus when Odd Bnar, Thon, Arca, Odan-Urr, and more sate on the High Council.

Beast
07-13-2003, 03:19 PM
I can see it though. I don't know if any of you remember, but back when the Kamino aliens were revealed to the public, several people here were claming they were the same species as Yareal Poof. I'd search for the threads, but they are buried in the forums somewhere.

Of course die hard fans like us, would know from StarWars.Com and such that they were different. But it could cause some confusion with the newer fans. And since we did get comments like that here, it was obvious that it was a true concern. Sure I'd have loved to see Poof, but he's not a huge loss. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
07-13-2003, 11:27 PM
I can see it though. I don't know if any of you remember, but back when the Kamino aliens were revealed to the public, several people here were claming they were the same species as Yareal Poof. If the question came up, then isn't it already too late though? Lucas didn't go back and re-release TPM last year with Yareal Poof CG-replaced by Lucas' 3rd cousin, so the character is already out there, same as Duros/Neimoidian issue (for now, who knows what the future holds). Part of being a history-revisionist is you actually have to go revise that history; until Lucas does so, I don't see how pulling the character made a difference (especially with Eeth Koth/Darth Maul in TPM).

Gungan Warrior
07-29-2003, 01:24 PM
The only thing that resembled them was the long neck. Other wise they look completely different. They shouldn't have pulled Yarael or that Keth guy. Did they play them off in a book series

Tycho
07-29-2003, 06:59 PM
Eeth Koth didn't die.

They had a different actor available for the Arena scene, so they created yet another Iridonian Jedi.

Yaddle was the other Jedi Master to go. I forgot how it happened to her. I'm re-reading the EU now, but I'm back in the Jedi Quest days when Anakin's only 12. (3 years after Phantom)

Yarael died heroically trying to stop a super-weapon from falling into a killer's hands. Orginally the same killer paid Jango Fett to deliver it, but Zam Wessel convinced him that this was one bounty too dangerous to deliver. The Jedi and the bounty hunters fought for the same cause.

Yarael's distraction allowed Jango to escape, preventing a weapon of mass destruction from falling into the wrong hands.

They were not trying to cooperate with each other - Jango hates Jedi - but they weren't trying to kill each other either. Zam tried to bring out a moral side to the bounty hunter. Her success was limited as she got a saber dart in the neck for her troubles in AOTC.

hamsterboy
07-29-2003, 08:13 PM
So that's how he died. There goes my theory about the Wookie Senator with the itchy ear. :crazed:

TheDarthVader
07-30-2003, 12:50 PM
I was wondering what happened to Yarael. I liked this character and wish he could have been in AOTC. Oh well.

Darth Jax
08-05-2003, 09:50 PM
why pull yarael poof because he resembles someone from kamino. so does san hill but that didn't stop him from rising to the top of the banking clan. as mentioned before we have eeth koth and darth maul, one good and one evil in ep 1. in the star wars universe so many species look alike. the only character issue before was lak sivrak looking to much like lon chaney, jr. that he had to be covered with a cgi monstrosity in the SE.