PDA

View Full Version : SAGA figures compared to other lines

I am Jabba the Hutt
07-09-2003, 04:58 PM
In the past few years, I've been a Star Wars collector, I've been buying Star Wars figures since POTF2, I had the vintage ones as a kid.
I've got POTF2 figures, Episode I, POTJ, and saga. I'm a fan of the saga line, I think figures like Anakin Skywalker - Hangar Duel, Supreme Chancellor Palpatine, Darth Vader - Bespin Duel etc are awesome figures. When I buy a figure for me to like it, it has to have a great sculpt.
Recently, I saw the Terminator 3 figures online and I was amazed at the detail and craftsmanship, and they're not much more expensive than Star Wars figures. They have lots of articulation, great accessories, great sculpts, amazing detail and some aren't that overly posed.

I just wish that Star Wars figures were as good as the upcoming Terminator line, I've always wanted Terminator figures and I've ordered these, I can't wait to get them. Infact, I haven't been this excited about getting figures since April 23rd 2002.

Who agrees? I mean, you don't have to be a huge fan of Terminator or like the figures to agree that they've captured the likeness of Arnie perfectly.

I would be prepared to pay a little bit more for Star Wars figures if they were as good as the upcoming Terminator 3 line.

An example of what Star Wars figures should be is the POTJ Boba Fett 300th Edition.

Mandalorian Candidat
07-09-2003, 05:07 PM
I frequently compare SW figs to other lines, like Simpsons, McFarlane, etc. SW seems to be right in the middle pricewise. I wonder if the quality (or lack thereof if that's one's stance) and price are balanced out by the cost Hasbro pays to Lucasfilm for the rights.

I wonder if those rights are higher than those paid out for the Simpsons or T3 or any other line based on a TV or movie. Perhaps if those costs are high the end result is a figure with less articulation or detail. Perhaps it just comes down to tradition. Hasbro probably knows many current collectors were children in the 70'/early 80's who had SW figures. If they kept the size and relative amount of detail the same maybe they are subconciously appealing to our deep-seated nostaligia.

My opinion is that the figures should be less expensive, yet durable. I don't like paying the higher prices of the EP1 era. I do think the Saga line is great in this regard (especially with all the KB clearances!) yet for me they don't compromise too much on detail. My one big gripe is with the flimsy weapons/accessories. Bring back the old style of plastic instead of this superbendable crud.

Kidhuman
07-09-2003, 05:10 PM
I havent seen the T3 figures as of yet so I can not comment on them. I do believe if Ha-ha-hasbro would do away with the silly poses and put figures in a nuetral position with loads of articulation and a little more attention to likeness, they would be a whole lot better. I am tired of scene specific poses and all. Even though I am a MOC collector, I perfer nuetral poses.

A poor example of figures to me is the Hulk line. I was looking at then in Wally world yesterday and noticed that just about every figure(they are all Hulk anyway) looked exactly the same, except for a different pose. We should be glad we dont get that in our line of collecting.

I am Jabba the Hutt
07-09-2003, 05:21 PM
I havent seen the T3 figures as of yet so I can not comment on them.

here's T3 figures, http://www.spawn.com/features/t3/characters.html see what ya think :)

JangoFart
07-09-2003, 05:49 PM
Well, these T3 figures are nearly 3 inches taller than the SW line. It's much harder to stick great details and likenesses into less than 4 inches of plastic than it is to do it in almost 7 inches of plastic. I like the T3 figures, especially the T-X - growl :) - and will get some; but this is not a fair comparision.

Not that Hasbro couldn't do a better job. I just think this is comparing a Yugo to a Benz.

J

I am Jabba the Hutt
07-09-2003, 05:53 PM
Well, these T3 figures are nearly 3 inches taller than the SW line. It's much harder to stick great details and likenesses into less than 4 inches of plastic than it is to do it in almost 7 inches of plastic. I like the T3 figures, especially the T-X - growl :) - and will get some; but this is not a fair comparision.

Not that Hasbro couldn't do a better job. I just think this is comparing a Yugo to a Benz.

J

I'd rather Star Wars figures be that size if it meant they could add detail like that. Look at Boba Fett 300th, the detail on that figure is awesome, it proves Hasbro can do it when they want.

Kidhuman
07-09-2003, 05:53 PM

J

You said it all right there Jango. You said it all. Look at the detail on the 12" line, I think the likeness is alot better there than the 3.75 in. line.

sith_killer_99
07-09-2003, 06:08 PM
Yep, dem sure is nice figers.

This debate hit pretty hard when the Spider-man line came out with 30+ points of articulation.

I think the bottom line is that figures (no matter what their size) cost about the same to develop and mfg. there is a small difference in the cost of materials, but it's not that big of a deal when you compare prices side by side. I remember Episode I figures going for $7.99-$8.99 retail though that was in Hawaii. :frus:

I know that most collectors want to keep the 4 inch line! I know I do, as a result we must sacrifice certain things, like extra detail or articulation. I have yet to see any 4 inch Star Wars figure (besides F-X7) that comes close to boasting 30+ points of articulation, or the detail of McFarlane.

But keep a few things in mind. McFarlane is notorious for not having much in the way of articulation. Let's face it McFarlane makes "Big kid" toys with little or no real "Play" value. Meanwhile the Marvel Legends and Spider-Man Classics lines both have great articulation and very good detail, though nowhere near as close to the detail of McFarlane.

In comparison, Star Wars figures are, IMO, at least as detailed as the Marvel Legends/Spider-Man lines yet way more articulated than McFarlane...well...most of them anyway.

So I would have to say, overall, Star Wars competes very well, in size, price and value...especially Ephant Mon...though Taun We was a bit of a rip off. lol

BTW, I think Hasbro should have sub-contracted McFarlane to do the Unleashed line! Just imagine a dozen or so McFarlane sculpted Star Wars figures...now that, would be awesome!

:Pirate:

Kidhuman
07-09-2003, 06:21 PM
BTW, I think Hasbro should have sub-contracted McFarlane to do the Unleashed line! Just imagine a dozen or so McFarlane sculpted Star Wars figures...now that, would be awesome!

:Pirate:

That it would. I would love to see a vader or Luke or anyone of the characters done by McFarlane. We all know he could use some extra cash after buying that home run ball :crazed:

Darth Jax
07-09-2003, 10:10 PM
That it would. I would love to see a vader or Luke or anyone of the characters done by McFarlane. We all know he could use some extra cash after buying that home run ball :crazed:

he got bonds ball cheap, only 450K. i'm sure he'll make that back easy on just the T3 figs. alien/predator probably got him back the mil he spent for mcgwire's ball a few years back.

i'd love to see hasbro stick with just 4" figs. every now and then they make a good 12" fig. to me most of them just don't have the detail/likeness they should be able to accomplish with a fig that size (sideshow would probably do them better justice). it would be great to see mcfarlane get a crack at unleashed style figs, i'm sure they'd get them just as detailed yet still manage to include limited articulation.