PDA

View Full Version : When are we going to get a Droideka figure?

Battle Droid
07-09-2003, 09:50 PM
Yes, a Droideka not a Destroyer Droid. The Droideka would be able to fold up and have a plastic shield bubble.

LTBasker
07-09-2003, 11:19 PM
Difference being...? I doubt we'll ever get a folding one or one with a shield. Just no real need for them after we've gotten several Droideka figures already. *shrugs*

Turbowars
07-09-2003, 11:43 PM
It's the same figure.

Battle Droid
07-09-2003, 11:50 PM
Well I meant they call it a Droideka on the card. ;)

Mandalorian Candidat
07-09-2003, 11:59 PM
I'm all for a fold-up droideka, I just don't see it happening...ever.

Turbowars
07-10-2003, 12:16 AM
The lame thing is, is that here we have the company that makes Transformers and they can't figure out how to make the destroyer droid fold up. I should say that wont, not can't. They probaby say it costs to much, well make it a deluxe. They say it will be to delicate (kids will break it), kids don't by these toys. You name it Hasbro has the answers :sur:

icatch9
07-10-2003, 02:35 PM
Well, first let me say that kids do buy these toys. However, that discussion is for another time.

Chances are a destroyer droid that folds up into a nice little ball is not really possible in the 3 3/4 scale. There are no transformers that small that have that sort of transforming ability. The Mini-Cons don't have that many transforming parts.

The other thing to keep in mind, is that when Lucasfilm designed a destroyer droid, they didn't realy have to think of how it would fold up. I mean, they draw it and the CGI guys make it fold. Doesn't have to be logical or mechanicaly sound. So, that would leave it up to a Hasbro toy guy to do it, and that is asking a lot.

There are a couple of options for one that is always folded up, and that should satisfy any diorama needs. As for playability, I think the Destroyer Dorids can be some of the most fun figs around. If you have the first issue from TMP. A lot of the other kind of bite :D.

Turbowars
07-10-2003, 10:26 PM
Well, first let me say that kids do buy these toys. However, that discussion is for another time.

Chances are a destroyer droid that folds up into a nice little ball is not really possible in the 3 3/4 scale. There are no transformers that small that have that sort of transforming ability. The Mini-Cons don't have that many transforming parts.

The other thing to keep in mind, is that when Lucasfilm designed a destroyer droid, they didn't realy have to think of how it would fold up. I mean, they draw it and the CGI guys make it fold. Doesn't have to be logical or mechanicaly sound. So, that would leave it up to a Hasbro toy guy to do it, and that is asking a lot.

There are a couple of options for one that is always folded up, and that should satisfy any diorama needs. As for playability, I think the Destroyer Dorids can be some of the most fun figs around. If you have the first issue from TMP. A lot of the other kind of bite :D.
Kids buy SW toys? WOW thats news to me. Most adults can't even find figures. Anyways it could be done.

Kidhuman
07-10-2003, 10:54 PM
It could be done but we will never get one. I wouldnt mind one. If they ever did make one it would either be a deluxe or 12".

plasticfetish
07-10-2003, 11:02 PM
Kids buy SW toys?
Well, no ... kids don't buy anything, their parents buy toys for them.

I suppose if we were going to get one, it would have happened by now. Would have been nice in this Clone Wars set that's just coming out instead of the hockey puck.

jpak001
07-11-2003, 12:37 AM
Wasn't there a deluxe 6 inch one that folded up made back in the TPM days?

I forget what that line was called (had Obi & Maul too), but if they can make a 6 inch one that folded up they could probably do that exact same figure in the smaller scale if they really wanted too..... I would take that over ANY of the Droidekas that have been released so far.

bobafrett
07-11-2003, 01:31 AM
The Power of the Jedi Mega Action line. I unfortunatly keep everything boxed, so I'm not sure to what extent these fold up.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-11-2003, 02:25 AM
I unfortunatly keep everything boxed, so I'm not sure to what extent these fold up.

If you feel so unfortunate for keeping it boxed, then open it up and let us know if it folds into a ball! ;) :p ;)

plasticfetish
07-11-2003, 02:58 AM
Wasn't there a deluxe 6 inch one that folded up made back in the TPM days?
Yep. Looks like there was and it looks like it did.
http://systems.figures.com/database/index.html?page=detail&sdomid=5&sitemid=125
Though I don't remember ever seeing this thing.

jpak001
07-11-2003, 03:05 AM
Yeah, that's the one! I found one once at a TRU and bought it for a friend, then never saw one again ..... :cry:

icatch9
07-11-2003, 10:02 AM
Kids buy SW toys? WOW thats news to me. Most adults can't even find figures. Anyways it could be done.

Yes, kids do buy Star Wars toys. My wife is a first grade teacher, and her students (even some girls) just love Star Wars. She actually saw a Chancelor Palpatine figure in her classroom befor I had one (that was a while ago, when he was new and harder to find).

Plus, one of her very good friends has a 7 year old, and he has tons of Star Wars stuff. So, there you go. I've got proof that kids do, where is your proof that kids don't?

seth_quinn
07-11-2003, 10:24 AM
hey. either both of you agree that while the number is small compared to some other toy lines, kids (or their parents) do buy/collect star wars stuff, or take it elsewhere.

dang, that 6" is pretty cool. I never gave that mega line any attention but I might just have to get me one of those.

that destroyer-puck does suck. I still remember how disappointed I was when I got my r2 case open. I can't believe I'm gonna end up with yet another one when I pick up that pack to get the other two.

jedi master sal
07-11-2003, 10:28 AM
Yes, kids do buy Star Wars toys. My wife is a first grade teacher, and her students (even some girls) just love Star Wars. She actually saw a Chancelor Palpatine figure in her classroom befor I had one (that was a while ago, when he was new and harder to find).

Plus, one of her very good friends has a 7 year old, and he has tons of Star Wars stuff. So, there you go. I've got proof that kids do, where is your proof that kids don't?
Sorry this has to be in Bold. The new system doesn't work with MAC's so I have to post in either Bold or Italics. Anyway, let's keep this thread friendly. As too proof, while there may not be scientific proof, I think it's fairly reasonable to assume that many of the collectors here are adults and likewise when they are out shopping for new toys, run into other adults and not kids, looking for new stuff. That certainly has been my experience in the past 8 years of collecting the "modern" era of SW toys. So while not scientific proof it's probab;y the case for many of us. Yes kids do collect. Just not in the quantity that we collectors do.

[DSS]Pedr0
07-11-2003, 10:34 AM
MY LEGo DESTRoYER FoLDS UP AND UNFoLDS :p :crazed:

darthm1970
07-11-2003, 12:00 PM
I have one opened and it does fold and actually rolls. Hasbro should be able to scale down the same figure for the 3 3/4 line. The 6" Droideka is pretty cool. :D