PDA

View Full Version : pirates of the carribean

hango fett
07-09-2003, 09:41 PM
well, i liked this movie...i can think of three words to sum it up....action, humor, and cleavage. yep...cleavage...can i say that? oh, well. anyway, the reason i say clevage is because the girl in the story is digging in her hoo hoos half the movie to look at the medalon of the pirates...oh, and i saw a mess up! in the end when she is watching the 2 head pirates fight, she is wearing jeans! this was long before jeans!
h

Exhaust Port
07-09-2003, 09:47 PM
You said "hoo hoos," I'm there. :D

Tonysmo
07-09-2003, 10:37 PM
I too saw the movie today and must say it was outstanding. The action was great, the humor wasnt over the top and for a pg-13 movie I dont think I heard 1 swear word. My kid pointed that one out. Depp plays a great character - kinda reminds me of Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday.. same sorta swagger I spose. All in all I give it two thumbs up. The effects are pretty darn cool.

Mandalorian Candidat
07-09-2003, 11:06 PM
I'd really like to see this flick. Just one question. Do all the pirates sound like the Simpsons' sea captain or just Geoffrey Rush? RRRRRRRRRRRRR. :Pirate:

Dr Zoltar
07-10-2003, 12:09 AM
So did anyone sit through the credits? I heard at the end there is an extra finished scene like a minute long. Anyone care to post what it was?

Tonysmo
07-10-2003, 12:22 AM
the pirates are not all the same. I think you would have a better time seeing the movie than me trying to explain the different characters though.. lemme just say the guy with the eye ball was pretty funny..

darthvyn
07-10-2003, 12:55 AM
holy crap this movie was awesome! any flick i can walk out of saying "i wanna be (insert subject of movie here)" is a great movie... i wanna be a pirate!!! and for those who know anything about ninjas, that's saying a lot!

:Pirate:!

i missed any extra scene, but i don't need to worry... this one'll definitely be a repeat viewer...

scruffziller
07-10-2003, 10:27 AM
holy crap this movie was awesome! any flick i can walk out of saying "i wanna be (insert subject of movie here)" is a great movie... i wanna be a pirate!!!

I wanna be an UNDEAD pirate(insert skull with eyepatch here). Can't wait to see this movie.

RooJay
07-10-2003, 11:09 PM
I actually got to see this movie on monday, and I thought it was frikkin' "A" awesome! Can't wait for the sequel!

post-credits spoiler:
The scene that plays at the end of the credits takes place in the treasure cave. We see an apple floating in the water, the monkey swims up and grabs it (if I remember that part correctly), we also get a shot of Captain Barbosa's freshly dead corpse, Captain Jack Sparrow's sword still sticking through his torso, we then see the monkey climb into the chest with the cursed aztec gold, he grabs a piece out and instantly turns back into an undead monkey (strange looking back since I don't seem to recall any moonlight shining down on the little bugger).

derek
07-10-2003, 11:21 PM
isn't sabe' in this film? how can you go wrong with a natalie portman look-a-like? :crazed:

RooJay
07-10-2003, 11:23 PM
Why yes, she is, and she's lookin' totally hot in it too, I might add!

darthvyn
07-11-2003, 01:19 AM
holy crap, yeah, she's hot in it...

everything about this movie is a "holy crap"!!!

hango fett
07-11-2003, 07:57 AM
is she elizibeth? if so, oh my god! she will never drowned with flotation devices like those!
h

JediTricks
07-11-2003, 06:04 PM
Alright, let's dial back that kind of talk.

hango fett
07-11-2003, 08:33 PM
sorry! i couldn't resist...
h

Exhaust Port
07-11-2003, 11:20 PM
she will never drowned with flotation devices like those!
h

What? We can't talk about PFT's or Personal Floatation Devices? I'm assuming that since this movie involves ships that everyone involved had proper safety gear, namely PFT's to make sure they were safe. Am I right or is this still about Hoo Hoo's? ;)

AT-AT Man
07-12-2003, 12:01 AM
this is a great movie that i recomend to anyone. i didn't stay for the credits, but hope they include that on the DVD, cause thtas one DVD i'll be picking up.

hango fett
07-12-2003, 08:26 AM
exhaust port, i think it is a little of both!
h

2-1B
07-14-2003, 12:55 AM
I find the similarities between Keira and Natalie's looks to be pretty uncanny!
I don't know who "found" her for TPM but that was a perfect double. IIRC, I once read an article saying that one of the girl's mothers mistook her for the other one in makeup on the set of TPM (can't remember whose mother was confused)

Roojay, I'm a bit confused by that end scene - I remember everything exactly the same as you posted, except for the part about Jack's sword. :confused: Was it really stuck in Barbosa? I only remember him getting shot by Jack . . . maybe I am forgetting something?

:)

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
07-14-2003, 09:33 AM
I saw this movie over the weekend and man did it rule! I didn't expect it to have a bunch of humor, but it worked well. Too bad I didn't stay through the credits.

icatch9
07-14-2003, 10:00 AM
Yes, this was a great movie. I'm so glad I went to go and see it. Jonny Deep certainly made the movie, but Orlando Bloom was a great contrast. The whole Chosen one thing in the story could of been explained a bit better as well as the whole blood thing. Perhaps it was explained fine, but I don't speak Pirate, so maybe a little was lost in the translation.

My wife keep saying though the whole movie that Elizabeth was Natalie Portman. It's true the resemlance is uncanny. Makes good sense why she was cast as a Amidala decoy. If Nat dies or something they won't have to look to far for a replacement. Not to mention she's a pretty good actress too (except that whole "Try wearing a courset" line, that was so lame.

This movie had another Star Wars tie in. John Nole (Noles?) was the FX supervisor, he's the same guy that does Star Wars. So it's no wounder why the FX were so flawless in this movie.

I recomend this movie to everyone who likes movies.

hango fett
07-14-2003, 10:41 AM
that corset line was pretty dumb. but natalie had her dumb line in AOTC "no! NO! gather what troops you can. we've got to get to that hanger. get a transport! hurry!" why they left that in the movie is beyond me...
h

RooJay
07-14-2003, 07:46 PM
I find the similarities between Keira and Natalie's looks to be pretty uncanny!
I don't know who "found" her for TPM but that was a perfect double. IIRC, I once read an article saying that one of the girl's mothers mistook her for the other one in makeup on the set of TPM (can't remember whose mother was confused)

Roojay, I'm a bit confused by that end scene - I remember everything exactly the same as you posted, except for the part about Jack's sword. :confused: Was it really stuck in Barbosa? I only remember him getting shot by Jack . . . maybe I am forgetting something?

:)

I could be wrong about the sword (I had actually forgotten that Captain Jack had shot him), but for some reason I'm still remembering a sword. I'll have to see the movie again to be sure (as though I needed another reason!), but perhaps Jack Sparrow "ran him through" after shooting him? Might just have been an unconscious attempt on my part at not trying to give anyone the impression that the epilogue was implying that Captain Barbossa would be coming back - in spite of the monkey having brought back the curse. I've actually been worried that some people might think that was the case upon seeing it. I honestly don't think that was the intent of the filmmakers.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-16-2003, 12:25 AM
that corset line was pretty dumb. but natalie had her dumb line in AOTC "no! NO! gather what troops you can. we've got to get to that hanger. get a transport! hurry!" why they left that in the movie is beyond me...
h

lol no no, Hango, the thing that made that scene goofy was how she ran after they zoomed out. I think Natalie is a fine actress and i love her work, but i had to chuckle when my friend said, "She runs like a robot" :crazed:

Just got back from this filck and was blown away. Definately a great flick all around. Some of the dialogue was hard for me to get, but i tend to talk like that at times (slurring words and stuff) so i comprehended about 99.9% of the pirate jibberish. I also decided i'm going to be a pirate. I'm rounding up all my fellow lonely and brokenhearted folks i can muster and we shall sail the seas!!! Drop me a line if you care to join, yarrrrrrrrr! :D

hango fett
07-16-2003, 10:02 AM
arrrgh! i be a pirate too! ye best be includin' me!
h

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-20-2003, 04:48 PM
For those who have been on the ride, were there some scenes from the ride in the film? I saw the commercial with the guys in jail whistling to the dog, too cool!

RooJay
07-21-2003, 03:38 PM
There was the jail scene with the dog, the drunk pirate rocking back and forth atop the stack of barrels and a scene of a pirate sleeping with pigs quite similar to what is seen in the ride. There may have been others - I'll have to go see the movie again.

By the way, I stopped by Disneyland yesterday on my way back from the San Diego Comic Con (those one hour shopping passes are great! I finally managed to pick up some Star Tours figures!) and the line for the Pirates ride was off tha hook! I don't think I have ever seen so many people in line for that ride before (and I've been to Disneyland MANY times!). I'd also like to mention that the Pirates of the Carribean antenna ball I picked up is wicked cool! I'd post a pic if I could figure out how that works now. :Pirate: ;) :cool:

EDIT - I just remembered a few more ride inspired moments:

the entire sequence of the town being attacked from the pirate ship in the bay, the subsequent burning of the town, and a scene of a heavy-set maiden being chased by an overly amorous pirate. Also, the ride's theme song (Yo Ho, Yo Ho, a Pirates Life For Me) is sung three seperate times by characters in the movie and a parrot speaks the famous ride line, "Dead men tell no tales".

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-21-2003, 06:17 PM
There was the jail scene with the dog, the drunk pirate rocking back and forth atop the stack of barrels and a scene of a pirate sleeping with pigs quite similar to what is seen in the ride. There may have been others - I'll have to go see the movie again.

By the way, I stopped by Disneyland yesterday on my way back from the San Diego Comic Con (those one hour shopping passes are great! I finally managed to pick up some Star Tours figures!) and the line for the Pirates ride was off tha hook! I don't think I have ever seen so many people in line for that ride before (and I've been to Disneyland MANY times!). I'd also like to mention that the Pirates of the Carribean antenna ball I picked up is wicked cool! I'd post a pic if I could figure out how that works now. :Pirate: ;) :cool:

EDIT - I just remembered a few more ride inspired moments:

the entire sequence of the town being attacked from the pirate ship in the bay, the subsequent burning of the town, and a scene of a heavy-set maiden being chased by an overly amorous pirate. Also, the ride's theme song (Yo Ho, Yo Ho, a Pirates Life For Me) is sung three seperate times by characters in the movie and a parrot speaks the famous ride line, "Dead men tell no tales".
Cool! Can't wait to go see this!

JediTricks
07-21-2003, 11:41 PM
On the ride, the heavy-set native gal is chasing the pirate who is running away from her. Originally, the joke was because she was so unappealing that - while all the other native women were being chased by pirates in that scene - she was so homely that she had to chase a pirate to get a man. Then a few years ago, the PC-police put a stop to that and gave the pirate some food so now she's chasing him because she's fat and likes food... nice work PC police, that's much better. :rolleyes:

I can't wait to see this film finally, probably Wednesday.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-22-2003, 12:34 PM
That brings up another question . . . what did they change during the PC correction, and why?

JediTricks
07-23-2003, 12:19 AM
That brings up another question . . . what did they change during the PC correction, and why? In the ride, besides the fat woman thing, they removed some of the characters being stabbed, they changed the wench hiding in a barrel to a cat (the barrel was changed to a barrel of fish to explain this) and they changed some dialogue to match these. That's all I can think of right now.

aceguide
07-28-2003, 08:18 AM
I have to chime in with everyone else that this was a great movie.

It had great action, was funny and the story moved well - and for the most part was complete. It was even good for the kids - I didn't hear any swearing. I understand the PG13 with all the skeletons etc. But still fine for the younger set.

Johnny Depp rocked. I kept thinking it was Hunter S. Thompson from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. His movement and dialogue went a long way in giving the whole movie its feel and credibility.

A definite DVD purchase.

:Pirate:

hango fett
07-28-2003, 10:51 PM
of course! december 19th i belive is when it comes out on dvd...
h

El Chuxter
08-25-2003, 02:35 PM
Best.

Pirate.

Movie.

EVER!

This is an in-freakin'-credible movie. I can think of nothing that did not exceed my expectations.

Jonny Depp deserves the Oscar. Brilliant performance!

hango fett
09-08-2003, 10:04 AM
hey, i think this awsome moive comes out in november or december on VHS(booo!) and DVD
this is a must get!
h

Anakin2121
09-08-2003, 01:20 PM
Hey hango,

Are you sure about the release date? I also wanna know when some of the other summer movies that I enjoyed will be released, like LXG and, to a lesser extent, SWAT. :)

And also, don't boo the VHS. Sure, it's useless in every respect compared to the DVD, but then a large percentage of today's households still don't have DVD players or DVD-ROMs on their computers. You don't want to leave those people out of the loop! :)

Anakin2121
09-08-2003, 03:41 PM
Oh, I found out about POTC. It's out 12/2. :) http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-video/archive/2003/09_04.html

hango fett
09-10-2003, 11:04 AM
cool. i will be first in line.
h