PDA

View Full Version : If Code 3 can do a $295 Falcon, with installments, why can't Hasbro do capital ships?

Tycho
07-10-2003, 02:01 AM
Code 3's die cast artist's detailed Millennium Falcon can be bought for $59 a month or whatever. I think they anticipated a limited run and made "only x amount of them."

Why can't Hasbro start a special division that sells straight to consumers, or a retail agency like KebCo, that is set up for installment paymets, and make:

a blockade runner

Jabba's sailbarge

a star destroyer

a Republic cruiser

a Mon Calamari cruiser, etc. etc. etc.

and either 1) not ship until payments have been completed or attained 50% OR 2) just do automatic account withdrawals like KebCo's "one of every figure club."

They can make some of these ships AFTER payments have begun, with a reassurance statement that money will be refunded to all if there isn't enough interest in the item to get it produced.

I mean look at this sailbarge:

Tycho
07-10-2003, 02:04 AM
Here's another picutre

Jaff
07-10-2003, 12:20 PM
Tycho if Capital ships was made for us it would be a dream come true. I think that's why we will never see them come to fruition.

DarthBrandon
07-10-2003, 12:38 PM
Code 3's die cast artist's detailed Millennium Falcon can be bought for $59 a month or whatever. I think they anticipated a limited run and made "only x amount of them."

Why can't Hasbro start a special division that sells straight to consumers, or a retail agency like KebCo, that is set up for installment paymets, and make:

a blockade runner

Jabba's sailbarge

a star destroyer

a Republic cruiser

a Mon Calamari cruiser, etc. etc. etc.

and either 1) not ship until payments have been completed or attained 50% OR 2) just do automatic account withdrawals like KebCo's "one of every figure club."

They can make some of these ships AFTER payments have begun, with a reassurance statement that money will be refunded to all if there isn't enough interest in the item to get it produced.

I mean look at this sailbarge:

I think I mentioned something about a larger more to scale version of the Falcon in the code 3 pole. I would love to see this happen, but sadly it will not, I would rather pay two hundred plus dollars for a larger ship than a code 3 super detailed micro-machined type vehicle. If Hasbro wants my my money they can have it, provided they put things out that I would buy. (i.e. everything you've mentioned and few more on top of that.) :D

Tycho
07-10-2003, 01:12 PM
I'll bring it up at Comic Con.

JEDIpartner
07-10-2003, 01:28 PM
I think they are in the market to make toys... not collectibles. That's why they don't do these sorts of things. They would probably have to set up a new office to handle such items and for them to dedicate such monies to one line (especially one that's had so many black eyes) would probably not be in their best interest.

TheDarthVader
07-10-2003, 02:36 PM
Sadly, I agree with Jedipartnr. It doesn't matter if we could get 1000 collectors to sign an agreement saying "Yes, I would buy this large ship/vehicle/vessel at a large price ($200-400)." I personally could not spend that much on one ship. The only one that might catch my attention is a large star destroyer. I would only buy it if Hasbro made it and it would have to be a quality piece. In addition, Jedipartnr is right because I do not believe Hasbro will devote that much time and money to this project.

Tycho
07-10-2003, 04:06 PM
They send you a legal contract, like warranties now included with your DVD players, whatever:

If they don't produce the ship, they refund your money.

You begin making payments of $50 a month or whatever plans they have, with or without interest.

They agree to collect for 1 year or even 2 years before deciding whether to produce or refund.

Say 1 year passes and you've been paying every month, $50. Hasbro mails you a check for $600 - and you have some extra savings when they don't have enough interest to produce the ship.

or

2 -say they are experiencing enough fund-raising success to tool and produce the ship - you finish paying, you get a star destroyer, sailbarge, blockade runner (fill in the blank).

It's simple. It costs them nothing up front. You save your own money at the very worst. Most people don't save enough anyway. Now you don't have a ship, but $600 in savings to splurge, invest, or pay bills with.

Or you have a ship!

Imperialist_14
07-10-2003, 04:20 PM
They send you a legal contract, like warranties now included with your DVD players, whatever:

If they don't produce the ship, they refund your money.

You begin making payments of $50 a month or whatever plans they have, with or without interest.

They agree to collect for 1 year or even 2 years before deciding whether to produce or refund.

Say 1 year passes and you've been paying every month, $50. Hasbro mails you a check for $600 - and you have some extra savings when they don't have enough interest to produce the ship.

or

2 -say they are experiencing enough fund-raising success to tool and produce the ship - you finish paying, you get a star destroyer, sailbarge, blockade runner (fill in the blank).

It's simple. It costs them nothing up front. You save your own money at the very worst. Most people don't save enough anyway. Now you don't have a ship, but $600 in savings to splurge, invest, or pay bills with.

Or you have a ship!

That would be a great deal for Hasbro! They would be getting interest free loans from those people interested in getting one of your ships!

They could invest it in the stock market and in a year return the principal and keep the interest!

If I were Hasbro's execs I would go for it! That would probably be the only way Hasbro would ever agree to this - but they probably won't!

The Star Destroyer would have to be huge don't you thinK? I can see a giant sail barge, but not the Star Destroyer! Maybe a Star Destroyer Bridge to scale? That would be cool! :cool:

Tycho
07-10-2003, 04:55 PM
No. These would be TOYS. My Blockade Runner is 5 feet long and holds approximatley 50 figures. A SCALE one would be what Michael Fright built to hold 400+ figures (that's the crew alone, not mind you, the Imperial boarding party) and required a semi-truck to trasport.

My idea for a Star Destroyer or Blockade Runner would NOT be in scale to each other, or the figures, but would allow you to have the basic movie functions the ships served, such as docking for 1 (one) TIE Bomber, or an escape pod that launches, command bridges, and an elevator where appropriate on the star destroyer.

It would replace furniture (the size of a dressor drawer armoir) not your neighbors' entire house and backyard!

The GI Joe aircraft carrier was not to scale with the figures and planes either, but everyone thought this was a great toy! At least 2 or maybe 3 planes could land on her.

A real carrier even close to scale would have held nearly 20 or more GI Joe fighter planes!

We just want toys.

Jabba's Sailbarge could be almost accurately done to scale though.

LTBasker
07-10-2003, 05:59 PM
Why make the payments for a full ship at once? Shipping would be killer! Why not instead of payments, but rather multi-sections? Let's say it's the Star Destroyer, instead of a $300 ship paid for in payments, why not 6 connecting sections $50 each? You can either buy the full set, or just get select ones. Each one would be released after the other, and you could skip if you wanted. Each set could be paid more attention to for detail, plus it'd be easier to have an opening playset.

Doesn't seem like Lucasfilm allows them to do this sort of thing though, jerks. :mad: I can see it if it would only benefeit Hasbro, but really it benefeits us all as Hasbro and Lucasfilm earn money, collectors get something they extremely want, and no stores are forced to carry possible shelf warmers.

Tycho
07-10-2003, 06:44 PM
They wouldn't want to take the chance that a particular set would waste their money and not sell as well as another.

It's over-complicating it. I could see your suggestion failing at retail as well. IT's a good thought Lt. Basker, its just that the market wouldn't work in our favor.

Jaff
07-10-2003, 07:58 PM
I'm broke just thinking about it, but if they did it I would sell my tv to get the funds. ;)

stillakid
07-10-2003, 08:11 PM
Well, you know that I'm in.

I'm really diggin' that Sailbarge. I'd buy one of those in a heartbeat.

In the next decade sometime, if Hasbro hasn't gotten off of their collective arses, I want to build that all in one Death Star design and the Star Destroyer. By then, hopefully, I'll have the disposable income to have plastic parts machined etc and make these things look really good.

(I went looking for those threads where I proposed the plans for these but the Search function won't find them for me. What's up with that?)

Holy orbs! After a painstaking manual search, I came up with the threads for your viewing pleasure.

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showpost.php?p=44416&postcount=22

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=549

Kidhuman
07-10-2003, 10:22 PM
I would absolutely make payments for a few of those ships. The sail barge is something I wanted forever and the star destroyer as well. Heck if I had the money I would pay for them outright.

JediTricks
07-11-2003, 08:33 PM
I think Hasbro's contract with LFL forbids Hasbro from selling SW product directly, so this sort of thing would require an additional contract which is expensive and time-consuming (see Kabe&Muftak mess for more on that). Then they'd have to set up a money-taking division which is quite difficult, as I understand it. Plus, it wouldn't be a popular move to the fans who wouldn't be able to afford it, and the issue of the quality of an item that fans would be buying before it was created would be a big mess. You can't promise the quality of an item that isn't out yet, and the item has to meet a street date as well. Seems like a big mess for a company who doesn't work this way and rarely makes products that reach the triple-digit price range.

LTBasker
07-11-2003, 08:58 PM
They wouldn't want to take the chance that a particular set would waste their money and not sell as well as another.

It's over-complicating it. I could see your suggestion failing at retail as well. IT's a good thought Lt. Basker, its just that the market wouldn't work in our favor.

Well if they were really serious about doing something like this, then what could be done is fans' pre-orders could be made before the actual production run is started. They could make the prototypes, get the orders, produce somewhat over that (for those that don't pre-order or didn't know) instead of making thousands that quite possibly won't move. They could have polls on what people would like to see as a feature in each set, etc, etc. but that would involve Hasbro actually caring about the customer. That's not likely to ever happen, it would require taking fans into a higher respect, but yeah right..

Old Fossil
07-11-2003, 09:21 PM
Hasbro would never go for it. They'd never be able to make any money off of something so expensive. I mean, there are still plenty of ill feelings about the $100+ Shuttle Tyderium, a big rehash of a vintage ship sans electronics. I doubt if 5% of the Star Wars collecting community could even afford something as large as a Star Destroyer or even a Sail Barge (not to mention, where would an apartment-dweller store such a thing?). Shipping costs from the assembly line to the marketplace would be astronomical -- not to mention the cost to ship it motor freight to one's home!

Too expensive for most collectors, too big to store for others, too costly to ship (not to mention, how do you market such a thing, besides ONLINE?),... besides, if Hasbro can't find a retailer to take the Sandcrawler, or even give us a freakin' decent R5-D4 figure, how in the world can one possibly expect them to manage ANYTHING so grandiose as a Star Destroyer???

Besides, isn't there a limit to Star Wars action figure collecting??? Good God, y'all. I love the figures and the vehicles, and I love my collection, but dang! How much is enough? I know, I know -- we can dream. But that's what you are supposed to do with these figures, anyway. You imagine them in Star Destroyers, on the Death Star, in Jabba's sail barge, etc. One shouldn't need a scale replica of a Mon Calamari starcruiser to enjoy the Admiral Ackbar and Mon Calamari officer figures.

I'm sorry; these toys give me great pleasure, but "The line must be drawn here!"

Tycho
07-11-2003, 09:33 PM
Well, I got my Blockade Runner into my bedroom.

With my imagination, I figured out how to build a managable sized one - so I have a great creative aspect to me and I want those ships!

Everybody has their own idea of what's too extreme: Michael Fright is too extreme.

I think my sizes I'd want would be just about right.

Thunderstorm1
07-11-2003, 09:43 PM
I'm game :D

Sign me up, Really I think this is a great idea except I would need a bigger house!

InsaneJediGirl
07-11-2003, 10:50 PM
I'd love to see one,a Sail Barge or Star Destroyer.A larger Gunship with real pods the Clones can sit in would be awesome as well.I dont see this happening even though Hasbro and LFL could easily team up and make this a Fan Club/Online retailer exclusive,that way it wouldnt be clogging the shelves at stores and it would hit the intended market.

CloneTrooperMace
07-13-2003, 01:13 PM
TY-You have a cool ship....How long did it take you build it?Also how did you get the orange cover to keep it up?

Tycho
07-13-2003, 01:41 PM
That's not my Sailbarge. I think Stillakid showed me the picture of the craft as it was being auctioned on e-Bay. It sold for thousands.I wish I could have bought that!

Kidhuman
07-13-2003, 03:06 PM
That's not my Sailbarge. I think Stillakid showed me the picture of the craft as it was being auctioned on e-Bay. It sold for thousands.I wish I could have bought that!

Don't we all wish we had that. Every now and then they have some on there, at different prices. Maybe one day I will get one.

CloneTrooperMace
07-13-2003, 03:37 PM
Sorry about that....I wish I have a AT-ET to action figure scale.

JEDIpartner
07-16-2003, 01:30 PM
(snip)...Besides, isn't there a limit to Star Wars action figure collecting??? Good God, y'all. I love the figures and the vehicles, and I love my collection, but dang! How much is enough? I know, I know -- we can dream. But that's what you are supposed to do with these figures, anyway. You imagine them in Star Destroyers, on the Death Star, in Jabba's sail barge, etc. One shouldn't need a scale replica of a Mon Calamari starcruiser to enjoy the Admiral Ackbar and Mon Calamari officer figures.

I'm sorry; these toys give me great pleasure, but "The line must be drawn here!"

Good Lord! We must be two of a very small contingent of people who feel this way. I'm totally standing by you here, friend!

Old Fossil
07-18-2003, 08:24 AM
LOL...I think Tycho's current one-on-one negotiations w/Hasbro may prove me very wrong... :eek:

Sentinel18725
08-11-2003, 12:33 AM
I have purchased many vehicles before from Code 3, being on a fire department and all. Code 3 does very good products. A collectors selection of vehicles will get more money than just a regular toy, that is true. The fact is that Code 3 has the equipment necessary to start doing this where hasbro does not....metal that is. It's a huge expense to get a large vehicle up and running. Let's face it, Hasbro won't loose any collectors for not doing this and wont gain any collectors by doing this.

Code 3 has made a unique market for itself. One in which the following is devoted.

I hope Code 3 doesn't flood the market with these vehicles..let's keep it under 10 total....especially at this size.