PDA

View Full Version : Capes and Coats: Real vs. Repo

LusiferSam
07-11-2003, 01:33 PM
Now we have spend a lot of time discussing how to tell original weapons and accessories from the repos, but how about the clothing. Capes, cloaks, coats, belts, helms, ect. So do you guys have any tips, tricks, or other advice on how to tell the difference.

What I'm doing now is comparing items to ones known be original (i.e. to the figures I had as a kid and personal removed from the card). If the two have enough similarities then the item in question is real. But in case where I don't have anything to compare to I just have to hope for the best. Any help would be much appreciated.

LusiferSam
07-30-2003, 11:51 PM
Nobody has anything on this? Well thanks any way.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-31-2003, 06:26 PM
I think at this point, technology is so advanced that telling the difference is getting harder. I know I will never get a Vinyl Cape Jawa, because the fakes are too frequent. Bespin Leia's is probably the easiest to spot, since it has a pattern. The rest are just plastic in a certain shape. Sorry, LS, can't help you too much. :(

yngadult
08-13-2003, 06:12 PM
I used to wonder if the skirt on my Snowtrooper was a repo. But, since it looked so authentic, I accepted it as is.

JON9000
04-20-2005, 07:10 PM
I have been having a tough time with this plastic cape issue lately, and have done a little research, so I thought I would post the results.

condition The reality is that cloaks were easily torn, and the more pristine a cape is, the more likely it is to be a fake. I would be especially wary of great looking capes on figures that are less than mint. A completely clean cape that isn't torn (getting them on and off without tearing is not something I would try) is more likely to be a repro.

The "crease" I have never seen a caped figure that did not have the top of the collar folded back when it was in the package. All capes, even if straightened or in collar up position, should retain some indication (slight indentations) that it was once in that folded position.

get a magnifying glass. The inside of the cape should have a slight texture, while the outside should be slick and shiny.

look at the cut Repros are notorious for having the holes off center.

ask about the history you can feel more certain if you simply ask sellers to be honest. The best question to ask is: "Has this item had any owner other than you, and are any of the parts repro?" The reality is, most folks will be honest, or tell you that they cannot be sure. Of course the best seller is someone who is selling a childhood collection, and took great care of the figures.

what else is included? The more that is included, the better I feel. Is the card included? The weapon?

Look at the sellers other items! This can really help. If the seller describes another item as having repros included, you can assume he is honest.

LusiferSam
04-20-2005, 08:22 PM
I'll add a couple of thing about vinyl capes as well. Both of this go under "Condition."

First is something JON9000 hinted at, if the cape is by itself there should be some kind of stretch marks around the arm holes. It next to impossible to remove a vinyl cape without stretching it.

Second, real capes fit the figure nicely. That is a real capes have been on a figure for some time and the vinyl should have formed to the figure. Even if this been loose for a while and/or folded funny it will fit better than a newly made cape. Repro capes lie flat very well, but don't fit the figure the same.

JON9000
04-20-2005, 09:04 PM
It's too bad we cannot sticky these FYI threads to the top of the Vintage board

vader121
04-21-2005, 08:42 AM
It is true that telling authentic from fake is difficult but there are some 'common sense' type of things that will help you. I would venture to guess that the below are about 90% valid:

-if you buy a lot of vintage clothing and if the capes are flat they are fake
-if limbs are loose on the figure but the cape is pristine without any rips or tension marks then they are probably fake
-if cape and figure are different shades of brown (Ben), etc. then the cape is most likely fake
-Vintage capes were pretty thin and thus easily ripped. Repro ones are more durable and thicker. Therefore fake.
-if the cape is oily to the touch it is most likely fake. This implies freshness of creation.
-Vader capes were usually bent down around the collar in the card. If you find a black Vader cape that is flatter without this feature it is probably fake.
-Vinyl cape Jawas had a cross pattern on them (I think this is true, don't have one but have heard this). If yours doesn't have this then it is fake or possibly made from a Ben cape.

You almost have to look for ones that are roughed-up a bit to ensure authenticity. I myself don't mind the repro capes too much. As long as they look good then that is all that matters.

The problem comes into play with cloth capes. Those are really tough to spot fakes with.

LusiferSam
04-21-2005, 01:38 PM
The problem comes into play with cloth capes. Those are really tough to spot fakes with.
And that is the real reason I first started this thread (not the vinyl info isn't welcome). I've got a couple of cloth capes (Prune Face's and Jedi Luke's) that are questionable to me. They seem pretty legit, but there's that little voice in the back of my head that says I've been fooled weapons before and cloth cape seem much easier to fake than other accessories.

JON9000
04-21-2005, 02:49 PM
cloth cape seem much easier to fake than other accessories.

I don't think you should be so worried, for three reasons:

1. Cloth is harder to fake. Once you have the materials, you can practically mass produce vinyl capes. Repro cloth capes require cloth with proper texture, color, and thickness. If you have a legitimate example to compare, it would be extremely hard to duplicate. You then have to actually sew rather than run it through a press.

2. The return on investment is less with cloth than vinyl. Vinyl caped figures complete with weapons tend to sell for more than complete cloth caped figures. The only cloth figure that it would really make sense to go through the trouble for is snap cape Luke Jedi, and in that case you would have to duplicate the snap as well!

3. cloth capes are considerably more durable than vinyl, hence you are more likely just by sheer odds to have a legitimate cape than were it vinyl :)

jedi_uk73
04-21-2005, 04:02 PM
-Vinyl cape Jawas had a cross pattern on them (I think this is true, don't have one but have heard this). If yours doesn't have this then it is fake or possibly made from a Ben cape.

Correct... the VCJ cape did have a criss-cross pattern on one side of the cape.....and it should be the same colour as the figure...

However, the Australian 'Toltoys' VCJ had a reddish cape... but still totally different to the 'cut down' Ben capes that are generally used to fake them...

Also the arm holes are very tight around the figure.

The ERG cape is non-removable....unless you are able to get the head off the figure without breaking it....

Capes that are not generally faked are ;

ERG, Prune Face, Ugnaught & Klaatu..

Capes that no known fakes exist are ;

Luke Poncho, Leia Poncho, Han Trench & Lando General...

You'll generally find plenty of the vinyl capes on Ebay.... but are generally listed as such..... however it doesn't stop the buyers trying to pass them off as originals.... :mad:

LusiferSam
04-22-2005, 01:43 PM
I don't think you should be so worried, for three reasons:

1. Cloth is harder to fake. Once you have the materials, you can practically mass produce vinyl capes. Repro cloth capes require cloth with proper texture, color, and thickness. If you have a legitimate example to compare, it would be extremely hard to duplicate. You then have to actually sew rather than run it through a press.
I agree with you that cloth is harder to fake. But just because something is harder does mean people won't try. I think finding the right cloth for most capes might be easier than you think. Let's just say I paranoid about it because I've been burned so many times by fake accessories before.

2. The return on investment is less with cloth than vinyl. Vinyl caped figures complete with weapons tend to sell for more than complete cloth caped figures. The only cloth figure that it would really make sense to go through the trouble for is snap cape Luke Jedi, and in that case you would have to duplicate the snap as well!
I just don't buy that argument. The real money in repro weapons is in lightsabers and POTF accessories. Yet people make fake stormtrooper blaster, bowcasters, Han's blaster and other all the time.

3. cloth capes are considerably more durable than vinyl, hence you are more likely just by sheer odds to have a legitimate cape than were it vinyl :)
I don't see your point here. Cloth capes and coats come off just as easily as (if not more than) vinyl ones. Hence they're just as easy to lose. I don't see what durability and odds have to do this it.

stillakid
04-22-2005, 02:57 PM
Now we have spend a lot of time discussing how to tell original weapons and accessories from the repos, but how about the clothing. Capes, cloaks, coats, belts, helms, ect. So do you guys have any tips, tricks, or other advice on how to tell the difference.

What I'm doing now is comparing items to ones known be original (i.e. to the figures I had as a kid and personal removed from the card). If the two have enough similarities then the item in question is real. But in case where I don't have anything to compare to I just have to hope for the best. Any help would be much appreciated.

Here you go: CLICK (http://www.c14dating.com/) :D

JON9000
04-22-2005, 03:38 PM
I don't see your point here. Cloth capes and coats come off just as easily as (if not more than) vinyl ones. Hence they're just as easy to lose. I don't see what durability and odds have to do this it.
Cloth capes are easy to lose, no doubt about it. I think what I am getting at is that since cloth capes are more durable, someone would not simply throw them away. When I was a kid, almost all my vinyl capes eventually ripped from the pit to the end and would no longer stay on the figure. I would try to tape them, but it just didn't work so eventually I tossed them. :(

Any way, I think the main point is that cloth capes are probably harder to produce on a massive scale, so you are less likely to run into one. but it is also true that if someone really wants to spend hours to make a perfect looking cloth repro, they could probably do it.

I didn't mention this before, but it looks to me as though most of this crap comes out of the UK. I never buy from the UK, it just sorta makes me feel better! Getting a repro is a risk, and the best we can do is reduce the risk, sadly. :dis:

jedi_uk73
04-22-2005, 04:53 PM
I didn't mention this before, but it looks to me as though most of this crap comes out of the UK. I never buy from the UK, it just sorta makes me feel better! Getting a repro is a risk, and the best we can do is reduce the risk, sadly. :dis:

I'll have to agree & also disagree with that statement..

It does seem alot of fakes come from here the UK, but 90% of that is carded figures :mad: .... not reproduction weapons, capes etc etc...

Repro weapons are a factor..... but they didn't originate from the UK....
The ONLY repro weapons to come from the UK are the DT sabers.....which are easy to tell apart from originals...

The repro weapons that are sold from the UK, are either by dishonest sellers or 'untrained' people that got stung with repros themselves.......

I have noticed that Brian's Toys and a few other top US dealers sell alot of repro weapons ... so 'they' are therefore damaging the hobby by putting more of these things into the market..

Rant over........