PDA

View Full Version : Why doesnt Owen Lars remember C-3PO?

Yoda'sMaster
07-13-2003, 03:57 PM
When anakin goes to tatooine 3po is there with owen, now how come when owen buys 3po from the jawas in ANH he doesnt remember him or r2? same with obi wan not remembering r2. makes no sense.

Beast
07-13-2003, 04:08 PM
There's been some talk of it already, but here's the synopsis of what we've discussed. Protocal Droids are fairly commen in the Star Wars Universe. And most of the universe treats droids like nothing more then power tools or toasters.

Most people don't even give them a second thought. They are just machinery. Infact if you look at the OT, only Luke really treated C-3PO and R2-D2 like they were worthy of being called friends. Would you remember the same toaster that was in your house over 18 years ago?

Plus C-3PO did not have gold plating in Episode II. So his form is not instantly recognizable either. Add in the fact that he was Shmi's droid, not Owen's. And also Owen tells C-3PO to shut up in ANH, when he's babbling on. The droid's name probably didn't even register with him.

Add in his intention of mind whiping them to Luke, proves that he doesn't consider droids worthy of much respect or acknowledgement. And if he did recognize them, it was fairly obvious they didn't seem to remeber him or Tatooine. So why alert Luke to the hidden past. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Yoda'sMaster
07-13-2003, 04:11 PM
There's been some talk of it already, but here's the synopsis of what we've discussed. Protocal Droids are fairly commen in the Star Wars Universe. And most of the universe treats droids like power tools or toasters.

Most people don't even give them a second thought. They are just machinery. Infact if you look at the OT, only Luke really treated C-3PO and R2-D2 like they were worthy of being called friends. Would you remember the same toaster that was in your house over 18 years ago?

Plus C-3PO did not have gold plating in Episode II. So his form is not instantly recognizable either. He was Shmi's droid, not Owen's. And also Owen tells C-3PO to shut up in ANH, when he's babbling on. And his mention of mind whiping them to Luke, proves that he doesn't consider droids worthy of much respect or aknowledgement. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

thanks that pretty much answers it :)

Pendo
07-13-2003, 05:16 PM
Also, 3PO doesn't even tell Owen his name. Maybe if 3PO had gotten the chance to say "I am C-3PO..." Owen would have remembered, but 3PO isn't given the chance to introduce himself.

PENDO!

Sith Lord 0498
07-13-2003, 07:41 PM
I agree with Pendo's idea that Owen doesn't initially recognize the droids because they never introduced themselves.

However, I do think he remembers them when Luke brings up the droids' mentioning of Obi-Wan. That's when Owen orders Luke to get their memories wiped at Anchorhead. He's probably trying to ensure that nothing gets brought out into the open.

As for Obi-Wan failing to recognize them, I think he does. He frequently gives the droids looks that seem to indicate a past with them, such as when Luke's explaining why they're out in the Dune Sea and when R2 plays Leia's recording. He stays silent because he knows that Luke's not ready to know the truth about the droids and their relationship to Anakin.

Anakin2121
07-13-2003, 10:35 PM
Heck, according to the Essential Guide to Droids, there are of course many C-3PO model droids, just like there are, say, many '97 Mercury Sables...and every Threepio unit is apparently given the same prissy programming fit for a protocol droid.
So I'm thinking, even if Owen truly and deeply knew and loved Threepio, when he saw him again years later, he would have dismissed it as an identical model, whether or not Threepio got to say his name. :)

Pendo
07-14-2003, 04:16 AM
Heck, according to the Essential Guide to Droids, there are of course many C-3PO model droids, just like there are, say, many '97 Mercury Sables...and every Threepio unit is apparently given the same prissy programming fit for a protocol droid.
So I'm thinking, even if Owen truly and deeply knew and loved Threepio, when he saw him again years later, he would have dismissed it as an identical model, whether or not Threepio got to say his name. :)
Good idea Anakin2121, but the only problem I see with that is that Anakin made 3PO :mad:! I would go with your idea if 3PO's "maker" wasn't revealed, and it could have been persumed he was created in a factory with thousands of other 3POs. But because Anakin made him, it's harder to think of him as an identical model, but some personalised unique, one-of-a-kind droid :).

I know Anakin used old droid parts, and probably could have used the "C-3PO software" to program 3PO, but I still think that with 3PO being hand made and not factory built that he's not part of the 1000 identicle models of droids.

PENDO!

Anakin2121
07-14-2003, 08:53 AM
That is true, Pendo, and most droids are only used for a limited time, while according to EU C-3PO went 110 or so years before being picked up by Luke and the Larses. EU also tells us that Threepio went all those years without a memory wipe, and yet IIRC Lucas has said that R2 and 3PO would be getting memory wipes in this movie. :p

The Overlord Returns
07-14-2003, 10:32 AM
I'd like to also point out that thus far in the trilogy Obi Wan has not met C 3po.....and there is every reason to suspect he will not.....

The 'Xir
07-14-2003, 06:15 PM
I agree with Sith lord and Overlord on their take on Obi Wan! In ANH Ben definitely gives the impression that he is trying to avoid letting luke know of his past with these droids! He even goes as far as to say, "I don't remember ever owning any droids". Sure, he didn't own them but he sure as hell knows of them! Comments like, "Now, lets find out who you are my little friend, and where you come from"(Which is actually the second time he refers to R2 as "friend"); are meant to steer luke away from an emotional path, that Bens knows would lead him to the dark side! Luke must discover the truths about his families' past himself, if he is ever going to grow and mature into a real Jedi Knight!

stillakid
07-14-2003, 07:49 PM
:rolleyes:

Just like he says, he doesn't remember owning any droids, particularly since, well, he hasn't yet in the Prequels. Hesus Christos, the Prequels are like 40 years prior to ANH. I barely remember the first car I had nearly 20 years ago. Why should an old man be expected to remember some random droids that look like every other droid around? Not to mention, again, that Obi hasn't owned any droids yet. Did I mention that Obi hasn't owned any droids yet in the Prequels? Just in case, I wanted to remind everyone that Obi hasn't owned any droids in the saga.

Why the continual effort to twist Obi into some kind of evil bad guy? I don't get it.

"My little friend" hee hee hee.

The Overlord Returns
07-15-2003, 10:31 AM
Well, my actual theory for the PT is that Obi Wan will NOT meet 3 po.......thus their first encounter will be in ANH. It makes sense, and so far, as I said above, Obi Wan has not met c - 3po.

R2 is different, we know they've met several times. Now, Ben is in no way lying when he says he doesn't remember owning any droids (unless he actually owned R4, but who cares). He could very well remember who R2 is, hell, he was probably tracking him when he left the Lars Homestead. He could take the arrival of the droids as the sign that it's time to prepare Luke...who knows...

But I agree with stillakid....he isn't lying in that scene.

plo koon 200
07-23-2003, 09:57 PM
Back to the main topic, I do agree that Owen does recognize the droids. Its just that the droids don't recognize him but that is because they had their memories erased once in EIII.

Post #300.

stillakid
07-23-2003, 11:31 PM
Back to the main topic, I do agree that Owen does recognize the droids. Its just that the droids don't recognize him but that is because they had their memories erased once in EIII.

Post #300.

Hey looky there! The thread title. :)

I'm not sure about this one. There is no reason for the guy to recognize two standard issue galaxywide appliances who he last saw some 30 to 40 years prior. Fact is, he saw R2 for a total of about 30 seconds when he interrupted the funeral for Schmi. The last he saw 3PO was before he was all replated with shiny gold parts. And besides that, Anakin took off with 3PO without even asking or letting them know about it.

So, no, there is absolutely no motivation for Owen to remember C3PO and R2 D2 when he sees them again in Episode IV.

As far as the droids recognizing him? Again, no, no reason for it at all. Memory wipes aside, maybe R2 has a bit of data floating around in the noggin of his from years ago, but even if he did, it was a 30 second chunk of "oh, that guy." Waaaayyyyy too much is being made of the insignificant events and places in the OT in order to somehow tie together everything in a claustrophobic bow. :rolleyes: