PDA

View Full Version : Shimi Skywalker

BountyHunter
11-21-2001, 04:40 PM
Why did Hasbro wait so long to make her?

Jayspawn
11-21-2001, 05:00 PM
One of those things where nobody had any isea what was going on in Habro's head.

"Oh we can't release it because people will pay money to buy it." (like the Eeopie!)

TeeEye7
11-22-2001, 05:36 AM
It was worth the wait. I finally picked up Luke's grandma just the other day. It's a neat piece! :)

Sith Worm
11-22-2001, 10:17 AM
Is it just me or does her head seem to be made out of a diffrent plastic than everyone else just looks A little odd, but still A cool figure...

GNT
11-23-2001, 01:07 AM
First of all,wrong section :) Her head does look different but I cant put my finger on it yet :)

Beast
11-23-2001, 02:54 AM
She's a great figure, other then her head. For someone that is so nicely tanned in the movie, the figure looks like she's as pale as an albino.

They really dropped the ball on the color of plastic they used, she needed a more bronze flesh tone, not pale. Still, a great figure that deserved to be made along time ago.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

General Veers
11-23-2001, 05:29 PM
Yes Shimi Skywalker is a nice fig, too bad they took so long in making her though...

bigbarada
11-25-2001, 09:56 PM
Actually, she was planned in late 1999, but retailers (y'know Wal-Mart, KB, TRU) told Hasbro that they refused to order any more waves with non-Amidala female characters. They blamed the sudden halt of Ep1 sales on too many minor female characters and not enough resculpts of core characters.

:rolleyes:

master jedi
11-25-2001, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by BountyHunter
Why did Hasbro wait so long to make her?

Because they were too busy making resculpts of OB1, Qui-Gon, D. Maul, and Anakin.

Beast
11-26-2001, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Actually, she was planned in late 1999, but retailers (y'know Wal-Mart, KB, TRU) told Hasbro that they refused to order any more waves with non-Amidala female characters. They blamed the sudden halt of Ep1 sales on too many minor female characters and not enough resculpts of core characters.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, it wasn't just the fact that they refused to order anymore waves with Non-Amidala female charecters. They also refused to order any more waves with Gungans or Neimodians either.

Which is the reason that we didnt Lott Dod, Holo Nute Gunray, or the Gungan Warrior in the E1 line, luckily we later got the Gungan Warrior as well as Shmi Skywalker in POTJ. Still waiting and praying for more Gungans, more Neimodians, and more anything....but re-sculpts.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Starfig873
11-26-2001, 11:58 AM
So basically it's all the Episode 1 glut's fault. :D

But really it's a sad thing, we lost a lot of good figures being made due to the resculpts and billions and billions of Mauls. :cry:

Wolfwood319
11-26-2001, 02:12 PM
Actually I thought it was because they weren't going to order EI stuff PERIOD. With all the figs on the pegs, I remember talking to a employee at a Target, and they said the company has stopped ordering SW figs.

What other female characters that were not Amidala came out. Im confused about your statement BB.

Beast
11-26-2001, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
What other female characters that were not Amidala came out. Im confused about your statement BB.

There was plans to do Shmi Skywalker and Sabe: Queen's Decoy in the Episode 1 line, until retailers demanded that they didnt want anymore female figures, other then Amidala.

I think that they just grouped female figures in with gungans and neimodians, so that all they would get was core charecter re-sculpts.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
11-26-2001, 02:25 PM
Adi Galia and Padme (even though Padme turned out to be Amidala) were the other females from the line, which isn't a lot but I guess having two female characters at launch then two more later on (Coruscant Amidala and Adi) seemed excessive to the highly conservative toy retailers who think that boys don't want female figures. When Hasbro made plans for Shmi and I assume further incarnations of the Queen and her handmaidens, retailers freaked out and threatened to not order waves with secondary female characters. Of course they wouldn't have freaked out if the Ep1 figures hadn't been clogging shelves for months already.

Wolfwood319
11-26-2001, 03:35 PM
Nevertheless, I still like the Shmi fig. Its a nice addition to the Mos Espa era of figs that seem to be lacking in substance.

I also like the fact that her wave included the duro wave. As much as I hate seeing Kewtols everywhere, its nice that I didn't have to really hunt for them.

Beast
11-26-2001, 03:45 PM
Agreed, we really need more Mos Espa figures, more E1 figures period would be nice, since there are so many that havent been made yet. But must have figures from Mos Espa are:

Kitster and Wald (2-pack)
Jira w/ Fruit Stand
Graga w/ Chuba Stand

Not to mention, all the pod racers, including the ones added to the film for the DVD release. A E1 Bib Fortuna, and numerous other charecters in Jabba's private box, as well as the ones in Watto's box.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

oldfossil
11-28-2001, 11:20 AM
Wonder if They (Hasbro) will reissue Shmi in the new line next year? Or was her POTJ debut to be her one and only?

Beast
11-28-2001, 12:18 PM
I think we will see her made for the new E2 figures as well, after all. Let's consider the facts.

1. It's Hasbro, and how much do they love to give us re-sculpts and minor variations on charecters.

2. It's 10 years later, I sure hope to god that she isn't still wearing the same outfit from Episode 1. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
11-28-2001, 12:24 PM
Well... late or not- I'm glad they made her.

I'm not really crazy about the perpetually tilted and non-turning head thing, but the overall sculpt is AWESOME! She COULD use a little more colour in the flesh, but I'm not gonna gripe about this one. I think the detailing is pretty much dead-on. Something you can't say for many of the human characters as of late...

That's a trend I can't figure out at all!

p.s.- Pernilla August RULES!!!!!

Beast
11-28-2001, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
p.s.- Pernilla August RULES!!!!!

Yep, a great actress. Funniest thing about her career is, just after Episode 1 came out, she was also involved in a biblical epic. She played Mary of Nazareth in Mary, Mother of Jesus. A 1999 TV movie.

Which means she holds the great honor and I assume record, of having played 2 charecters in which immaculate conception appears to have occured on them. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
11-28-2001, 02:47 PM
I know...!

I thought the exact same thing when that film came out! I have really loved the films she has been in. She always seems to lend a very earthy or relatable quality to her characters. I can't even begin to express how thrilled I was to see that she had signed on for TPM. I kinda felt as though she would deliver the same calibre of performance that Alec Guiness brought to ANH.

Pernilla is a very attractive and underrated actor!! I can't wait to see her in AOTC... even though her presence will be very brief.